It’s official: We've launched 6MO, our first-ever Global Music Industry Data Report! We're thrilled to present you with our comprehensive view — from a music data perspective — of the first six months of 2019. Dig in to Part 1 with us here.... chartmetric.com @chartmetric #chartmetric #6MO #musicbusiness #musicindustry #musicnews #musictech #report #data
- It’s official: We've launched 6MO, our first-ever Global Music Industry Data Report! We're thrilled to present you with our comprehensive view — from a music data perspective — of the first six months of 2019. Dig in to Part 1 with us here.
- Good morning, it’s Rutger here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists, and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- We’re on the socials at “chartmetric” — that’s Chartmetric, no “S.”
- Follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, and talk to us! We’d love to hear from you.
- This is your Data Dump for Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019.
- 6MO Global Music Industry Data Report, Part 1: Semi-Annual Awards
- If you haven’t heard yet, we officially released our first-ever Global Music Industry Data Report on Tuesday, and the response has us very excited to dive into it with you guys here.
- Last week, we explained the 30-page structure: Semi-Annual Awards, Platform-Playlist Analysis, and Strategic Business Insights.
- Today, we’re tackling Part 1, our Chartmetric Semi-Annual Awards, which rank the top performing artists in terms of absolute and percentage-based growth across multiple metrics on June 30, 2019, the last day of the six-month period we tracked.
- By the way, if you’ve got the report in hand, feel free to scroll or flip along with us.
- First off, our Cross-Platform Performance Award, as you might imagine, revealed some familiar names in the Top 10 in terms of overall streaming and social popularity — from T. Swift to Shawn Mendes and Rihanna to Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande.
- However, the interesting stories were J Balvin at No. 2 and Daddy Yankee at No. 7, reflecting Latin’s growth outside of Latin America itself, and the late Avicii at No. 10, likely due to his strong catalog consistently driving 3M+ YouTube views daily, his April release of “SOS” with Aloe Blacc, and the full posthumous album release of Tim on June 6.
- When it came to YouTube Channel Views gain as of June 25, 2019, six of the Top 10 artists with the highest gains were primarily Spanish-speaking, showcasing the strength of both Latin content and also the popularity of the YouTube platform for Latin audiences.
- Keep in mind, however, that India-specific music charts didn’t launch until two weeks ago, so that data could very well change up the distribution in a big way.
- Stay tuned for our July to December report to see if 6MO months prove that to be the case!
- For Spotify Monthly Listener Gain as of June 30, 2019, collaborations were crucial to Lunay’s 557 percent and Jhay Cortez’s 521 percent lifts — not to mention Billy Ray Cyrus’ 3,032 percent increase as a result of his “Old Town Road” collab with Lil Nas X.
- On Twitter, Follower Gain was all about diversity, with three Korean groups, three Americans, two Brazilians, one Nigerian, and one Turkish rocker comprising the Top 10 percentage gains.
- And on our own platform, BTS won out on the Artist Follower front and Spotify curators dominated in terms of Playlist Followers.
- It would be an understatement to say that this is just the tip of the iceberg for Part 1, so please, keep digging into it, and let us know what else you find!
- Next up, we’re taking on Part 2, our Platform-Playlist Analysis, where we break down artist country market share and artist genre market share on Amazon, Apple, Deezer, and Spotify’s top 30 playlists.
- So, stay tuned for that!
- That’s it for your Daily Data Dump for Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019. This is Rutger from Chartmetric.
- Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com
- And article links and show notes are at: podcast.chartmetric.com
- By the way, if you haven’t downloaded our report yet, you can find it all across our socials and in our show notes!
- Happy Wednesday, and we’ll see you on Friday for Part 2!
What is Your Music Data Dump from Chartmetric?
Fan followers, playlist ranks, monthly listeners...welcome to the world of music business data!
Join Chartmetric, one of the music industry's leading music analytics tools, for your morning shot of the latest news on music charts, artists on the move and influential playlists.
As of Nov 2019, releasing 2-3 times a month for a longer format.
Full show notes: https://podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data