Two Egyptian artists top the SoundCloud New & Hot chart this week......Twenty One Pilots get announced as one of three headliners for San Francisco’s Outside Lands festival.....Apple Music’s “Best of the Week” playlist keeps things lively with 67 tracks in the US storefront
chartmetric.io @chartmetric #nerdout #musicdata
- Two Egyptian artists top the SoundCloud New & Hot chart this week
- Twenty One Pilots get announced as one of three headliners for San Francisco’s Outside Lands festival
- Apple Music’s “Best of the Week” playlist keeps things lively with 67 tracks in the US storefront
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Wednesday March 27th 2019.
- SoundCloud’s Top 50 weekly chart features what most Westerners would expect: a who’s who of the SoundCloud rap scene, what might not be expected is who’s on SoundCloud’s “New & Hot” weekly chart: half of the New & Hot Top 10 tracks are Egyptian.
- Sitting right alongside Western rappers like A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie and NLE Choppa are two Egyptian artists: Tamer Ashour and Mohamed Ramadan.
- Singer and composer Ashour comes away with #1 trending track for this week with the soft ballad “Oloolo Samah” which was released six days ago on his latest album, while actor/rapper Mohamed Ramadan is in the #2 spot with his banger “Virus Song” where he channels a very familiar hip-hop machismo, rapping about how his flow is like a virus.
- The popularity of SoundCloud in Egypt is not entirely new: in February of last year, the Vulture covered the success of Hamza Namira’s “Dari Ya Alby” as a voice for the Arab Spring, to the tune of 67.5M SoundCloud plays.
- But this week, Ashour’s new album takes 4 of the top 10 spots, with Philadelphia rapper PnB Rock taking the #3 spot with “I Like Girls (feat. Lil’ Skies)”.
- Artist Highlight in the News
- Columbus, Ohio natives Twenty One Pilots got announced as headliners of the Outside Lands 2019 lineup in San Francisco this August, they’re top-lining the Bay area music festival with Paul Simon and Childish Gambino.
- “The Skeleton Clique”, which is the Twenty One Pilots fandom, must be prepping themselves for tickets sales tomorrow, and are likely behind the 14K daily new followers that the group regularly sees on Spotify.
- With just under 12.2M total followers, the two-man band is currently on 248 Spotify editorial playlists, 50 Apple editorial playlists, and 20 Deezer editorial playlists.
- About to kick off an 8-city Latin American tour including three dates on the Lollapalooza Global circuit, Twenty One Pilots will be busy visiting Buenos Aires, Santiago and São Paulo, surely riding a wave of YouTube success that levitated them to 3.8B YouTube views, which hopefully, is not stressing them out. #skeletonclique
- Playlist Round-Up
- Apple Music’s “Best of the Week” editorial playlist is billed as having “some of the world’s most exciting new music”.
- Updating every Friday, the US version currently has 67 tracks, with over 60% of them coming from American artists.
- The top five genre tags are pretty diverse: pop, Latin, reggaeton, tropical and indiepop.
- “Patience” by Aussie Tame Impala, “Tempo” feat. Missy Elliott by American Lizzo and “Te Robaré” by puertorriqueños Nicky Jam and Ozuna are a few of the tracks you’ll find on Best of the Week as of today if you’re in the US.
- 47 of the 67 tracks on the list are at Echo Nest Energy ratings above 70 on a 100-point scale, meaning the curator (Apple Music Pop in this case) is working hard to keep the playlist tone lively.
- That’s it for your Daily Data Dump for Wednesday March 27th 2019. This is Jason from Chartmetric, if you want to dig into más data, visit chartmetric.io/signup. That’s chartmetric (no s) dot IO slash signup.
- Happy Wednesday, see you tomorrow!
What is How Music Charts?
How Music Charts is the second season of Chartmetric's music industry + data podcast!
Season 1: "Your Music Data Dump" was 107 episodes of 3-minute, current event-focused episodes involving music data.
Season 2: "How Music Charts" is long-form & interview-driven with music industry guests focused on music & data today.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Chartmetric is on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram (@chartmetric)
Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com
Article links and show notes are at: podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data