Justin: Hello, welcome to build your SaaS. This is the behind the scenes story of building a web app in 2022. I I'm Justin Jackson. I do marketing.
Helen: I'm Helen Ryles and I do customer success.
Justin: Nice Helen, two weeks in a row. Hey
Helen: yeah, this is tuning into my podcast now. Well,
Justin: I like it, especially since I'm hoping that maybe we can just pin this recording to the end of the weekly meeting you lead. Yeah. So that we, we do it every, every week. Cuz the hardest thing about podcasting is the. It's just finding the time to do it. For whatever reason we've been able to, we've been able to keep that weekly team meeting, like every Thursday. And so, yeah, we'll see. We'll see. But this is great, John and Jason are both on vacation, which is, which is great. I, and, uh, but. Yeah, we're, we're gonna record an episode today and we just went through, uh, a bunch of things. We launched the podcast websites feature. How's the feedback been on that so far in, on the customer support channels.
Helen: Um, it's been really positive really. Um, so people have sort of taken the time to reach out to us and, and let us know that they like the new theme and like, um, the sort of direction that we're going in with, um, making things more customizable. Yeah. Um, yeah. I, I, I. Um, you know, for every person that takes the time to reach out there's other people that kind of, um, have seen it and are, are liking it, perhaps haven't, uh, you know, mentioned it to us yet. So all, all good feedback is, uh,
Justin: appreciated. Yeah. If you're, if you've tried it out and you're listening, definitely reach out on customer support and, uh, on the live chat and, and let snow, cuz it it's fuel. I, I think that's what I, I think I mentioned this one time on Twitter. And you'll know this too, from building your personal projects, but when somebody takes the time to reach out and like, Thank you or mention that you did a good job or whatever, that's like fuel for the indie hacker, isn't it?
Helen: yeah, definitely. Yeah. Um, especially even before, like on small projects, when there's not even any revenue, you are kind of just existing on that motivation of, uh, feedback from other people. So now it is, it is really good. And, um, it's, uh, kind of. Especially interesting to get kind of insights from people on sort of what they're hoping comes next or kind of what's the next stage and, uh, what features they will use from what we've built. And, yeah.
Justin: Um, do you wanna mention some of those, like, I think people would find that interesting. So we, we launched this new theme. Like you can select a new website theme for your podcast. And there's a little bit of new customization you can do, but what are some of the other things people are like thinking about that they wanna see on those podcast websites?
Helen: Yeah. So I guess it's more, just more customization. So being able to, um, add new pages and, um, have a dedicated space for sponsors and things like that. Um, things that been kind of thinking of and, um, discussing over time. Um, but it's good to see those kind of repeat things come up. Over and over. Cause I guess it just shows that there's a, a genuine demand for those particular features. Really.
Justin: Yeah. And especially, I think the other one is that the host profiles like show, you know, here's a photo of the host or the hosts and a little bio, uh, people have been hacking our about pages to do that, but that's kind of actually the benefit of that. Like right now, our about pages don't have a Wey wig editor. You have to know HTML and. From a customer experience, point of view, that's not a great experience, but the advantage of that is we get to see people kind of hacking it to do the things they wanna do, right. With sponsors and hosts and guests,
Helen: if people will put that time and effort into kind of make something, um, you know, as much as it possibly can, um, fit a particular a feature, then you, you know, that they'll definitely kind of use it if it was built into
Justin: the product. Yeah. Yeah, exactly. So sometimes, you know, I don't know how you actually build that in, in a conscientious way. Cuz for us it was by accident. It's it's more accident of history. That, that about page is the, is the thing. But, um, I. The having it there and just seeing how different people use it has been incredibly instructive. Are, are you in the notifications channel in slack? Have you seen that? Yeah. And so every time someone uses the new website theme, it posts a link. I find it so eyeopening to see all of these different podcasts us that I've never seen before on our system. Updating their website and seeing how they use it, but also just getting a sense for our customers. I found it really interesting. There's just, you know, every once in a while, I'll just pick a random account and listen to the show, but this new notification channel, it's just interesting to see all these people and then you go to their about page and can see like how they've, you know, configured that. And yeah, it's. It's really fascinating. All the different shows on the
Helen: platform. Yeah. So I'm just having a look now, I think we've got about sort of 15 in there today, so yeah. It's kind of nice to see things in real time. I probably pop into that a little bit more. Yeah.
Justin: A lot of people switching over, you've been doing customer success for us for probably what two, three years now.
Helen: Yeah. It's the end of 2019. Yeah. This the
Justin: end of 2019. And then before that, um, are, are you allowed to say who you've worked with before? Yeah, I don't. Don't say why not? Yeah. So who have you, you've done customer success for other companies too. What, what are some of those companies? Yeah,
Helen: so I guess like my kind of main background really was in like, it. Um, project management mm-hmm so like running help, running help desks for like housing companies and banking companies. And, um, I've worked a lot in like it education. So colleges and schools, um, and then, um, sort of more recently over the past few years, I like worked for convert kit and makeup pad. Um, and then now transistor. So yeah, it's kind of been quite a, quite a very journey, but I think customer success has been the main kind of thread through it all, whether that. Um, like it help desks or, um, support for SAS companies. Um, yeah, it's kind of been. The main say of, of what I do. Really. Yeah.
Justin: When you were doing it for, in, in education, were you, was that remote or were you on site?
Helen: Um, so it was kind of, um, a bit of both. So, uh, in the early days we're going back away now one of my first job was to have like about 15, 15 goals that I would like visit and then travel around to and be kind of like, um, somebody who would visit with like, to fix issues within like. One day a fortnight and then it would kind of be moving to being like in a central, um, it office for like a large college who have like satellite schools and feeder schools. And then obviously we would be remotely fixing issues there. Really? So. Um, there's, there's always been an, there's always been an element of kind of remote support. Even if the company isn't a hundred percent remote, you may just have like, um, an office down the road. Yeah. And interestingly, when you kind of work, um, in banking, if you've got like a. A company that's got 15,000 employees, you know, even somebody just who works on a different floor feels like a remote customer to you because they're, you know, in a different building or like three floors down or something like that. So, yeah, I guess that's a
Justin: lot of employees strange. yeah. That's more, we don't even have that many users on transistor. I don't think
Helen: I know. Yeah. It's kind of, um, you can kind of work for a company for lots of years and like, Just go to a different floor and you have people you've never seen before in your life.
Justin: yeah. Yeah. So you've got lots of experience in this, this, this kind of broad category of customer success. And, uh, you mentioned, I, I tweeted earlier this week. I think this is my most popular tweet this week. I've been, I've been trying to like, I get back on the Twitter train and, uh, And experiment with growing my Twitter, following a little bit, I've actually been trying to help, uh, Dr. Sherry walling grow her Twitter account. And so as a part of that experiment, I've been like, okay, I gotta figure out, you know, what works for my account. So I signed up for type fully. Have you heard of that? It's like a thread writing. Yeah. And they've got stats in there. And then I also have ILO, uh, or sorry, ILO. Do so Ella. Yeah. And so I've been, uh, looking at my stats in there. And so the top, the top tweet from this past week was me talking about customer success. And I think. In so many ways, like a lot of people hear like support and I think, you know, something comes to their mind in particular. Do you know what I mean?
Helen: Oh, D yeah, definitely. Yeah. I know exactly what you mean. It's different for every, um, company really, because you can do a customer support role and that could be part primarily, um, Dealing with people who aren't yet customers strangely mm-hmm , even though it's customer support, he could be, he could be presales. It could be, um, you know, kind of answering, um, less technical questions or at the completely under, or the end of the scale. It could be really kind of in depth technical bug fit. Could bug fixing mm-hmm um, So, yeah, it, it covers such a wide range, even though there's kind of a, um, we think we all kind of know what, what the role involves. Yeah,
Justin: totally. And I also think I'm, I'm glad we've got some of these new ways of describing the role, like describing it as customer success, because I think for a long time support had like this negative connotation. With it, you know, like, oh, that's just customer support. And, um, you know, for me personally, like that's how I got started in the tech industry, was doing customer support. And then really how I, I, I kind of grew my career was moving into more of a customer success role and say, no, this isn't just like answering support tickets. This is a lot more than. Than just that it, and kind of crucially, I think customer support or customer success is really inside sales at a lot of, or inbound sales at a lot of companies. Hmm. Yeah. Like when somebody lands on the transistor website and they see that little chat bubble, you're the first person they talk to. So it's not just like the, the, that we've we've given. Um, you know, in some people's minds, it's like, well, these people are just answering support tickets. And in my mind, it's like, no, you don't understand. This is like one of the most crucial roles in any software company. And at transistor, you're primarily responsible for it, but all of us, um, myself, John and Jason, we're all in crisp, which is our support software every day. And I, I just think it's so crucial this idea of giving customers a great experience. Uh, so it's customer experience. It's customer success, helping them get set up so that they actually. Can succeed with the product and it's like signing people up, you know, like getting, convincing them to enter their credit card. Yeah. And it
Helen: is really good that we, we all do, um, spend time in crisp and answering those questions as well, because I think it makes the kind of responses we, we give better because. Like, I will learn things from you and, um, you know, you'll pick up on things from John and, and it just gets better, you know, from there on out. Really. So yeah, it just
Justin: kind of, oh, we, we pick up on stuff from you all the time. that there's like, there was a time where it was like John and I were getting a little bit. Curt in our responses. And then I, I noticed how you were answering. And I was like, John, we gotta like, take some notes from Helen here cuz uh, we're we're a little bit too blunt sometimes. cause there there's a consideration there. Right? Yeah. And I
Helen: guess kind of, um, I think everybody has a different, different way. And I think we we've each got kind of different ways. Um, I think you are very good at kind of responding. um, to everybody as though they, they are already your friend , um, which is, which is really great because that makes it happen. You know, it, it makes kind of like those connections and those relationships be more than just a transactional thing. People are actually invested in the product and the story and everything that goes into kind of like how it's been built as well. Um, whereas I. Um, kind of a little bit different than that. And I, I try to perhaps learn from you a little bit and be it less, um, I dunno, what's the word I'm looking for a word yeah, I'm probably more informal and you are probably more informal and, and hopefully there's some happy, happy medium in there somewhere that, uh, suits, suits all different types of people because different organiza, you know, large organizations do expect a formal response and then individuals. Yeah. Really appreciate that friendly kind of, um, you know, back and forth kind of, um, chatty chatty kind of,
Justin: uh, help, I think. And I think the, the one thing I picked up from you that is super important is often people will, will, you know, send in a, a, a message and. Sometimes I don't. I like one simple thing you do is you just go hi name and then, um, and just taking time to say hello, and then their name automatically there's this friendliness about it. So cuz responses can seem really blunt and rude if you're not care a fall. Right? What, what are some other tricks you, you do to like, just help cuz I don't. I think sometimes people don't realize. When they're answering support tickets, how, uh, you know, you can sound different than you, you, in your mind, you're just replying quickly. But to the person on the other side, it's like, oh, this person's kind of being a jerk, you know?
Helen: Yeah. I guess, um, yeah, it's just one of those things where there's a lot of reading between the lines sometimes. Um, the questions that people ask, aren't always the. Questions that they want answers to. It's normal, sometimes a different question that they want an answer to. And it's kind of about maybe, um, pulling, pulling out some more information or asking for more details. Um, mm-hmm, just to try and, and sort of help them get to what the actual root cause is rather than, um, Sort of taking something at face face value and just going, yeah, that's fine. Uh, you know, kind of maybe digging a little bit deeper or trying to make it a thorough first response. So it doesn't require two or three or four back and forward emails, or if they're on live chat, that's fine. But sometimes, you know, uh, we at a kind of our support system is the emails and live chat is all on the one place. Really? So, yeah. Um, I could make, you know, sort of live chat E uh, messages a lot more, uh, informal. Um, but sometimes they sort of do get sent by email instead. So I kind of try and almost write for email all the time. Um, at least in the first, at least the first message and the first contact that we have, and then maybe kind of make it a little bit more informal
Justin: from there on out. Yeah, I think. I think that's super important. I, and, and also being okay to show some enthusiasm, like, uh, you know, using exclamation marks, um, you know, judiciously, but, you know, having, uh, a little bit of enthusiasm, uh, the other thing is we've decided not to have any sort of chat bot, um and although a lot of people often assume that they're talking to a bot, right. That, that does. Does that still come up? Yeah, we, we do get quote.
Helen: We do get questions. Are you real? Are you a human? Put me through to a human
Justin: and I just think it's, it's incredible. Like in that thread, the Twitter thread. People, some people were like, you know, I can't believe you, you folks do live chat. That's so much work. Um, and I suppose it depends on, you know, the number of tickets you get. Cause we get like, what did we have this past week? You said it's, it's been down a little bit lately.
Helen: Yeah. It's sort of around eight tea conversations week. Maybe a little bit less. Yeah. Um, we kind of look at it on a Thursday, um, for the, like a full prior week. So, um, sometimes we get a busier Friday or something like that, which may skew the numbers a bit. But, um, yeah. Yeah. I mean, it has been quieter period, but that's probably sort of due to, um, you know, shoes that were sort of. In bumping the numbers up being permanently, permanently resolved, or, um, we kind of have these sort of phases where we seem to get, um, questions that seem to be like linked in, in certain topics and certain topics sort of seem to be like, uh, hot for a particular week. Yeah. And then fade out. Yeah,
Justin: it's strange. So like there can be a zeitgeist around all that stuff, but I, I, I mean, I personally, and this is something I got from Spencer at podium is live chat. Like when you have an incredible live chat experience. There, there is something really nice if you're frustrated and you can just get an answer right away. And I mean, we're not always able to get people right away. Like sometimes people wait 20 minutes or whatever. Um, but to be able to get an answer right away is so helpful when you're stuck. And, uh, I, I think it's worth it. And we're a team of four people, right? So. The general idea is you're in the UK. And so you can cover when I'm sleeping. And then the next day, you know, we have some overlap between, um, you know, around 9:30 AM. My time is when you're kind of winding down and I think. It's doable. It's doable with a small team. You can be a team of 2, 3, 4 people and manage live, chat support. And it's, uh, I, I think especially once you get somebody who's kind of in a different time zone than you, uh, Like for us in north America, I think the UK or Australia, um, you know, the somewhere that's up when you're, you're sleeping, as soon as you cover that, you're kind of good. Yeah. And I
Helen: think, um, The fact that it is manageable with four people says a lot about the product and how well it works really. Um, because our, you know, different products would probably have a different kind of, uh, need to support, um, customers. You know, if you've got high volume customers or kind of. Or perhaps a product that is more susceptible to, um, sort of issues that have an impact on a, like a real time mm-hmm product. Yeah. So I think we are kind of fortunate that this sort of the quality of the product and the time zones that were spread out in it kind of makes it to be, um, you know, a, a manageable thing. I think I saw somebody, um, tweet something the other day about having a scalable product and at what point. Would you, you know, would you have to double to have issues with your customer service? Would it have to be five times at what point, you know, what's kind of your capacity yeah. To grow the, grow the product and still retain the quality of customer service and thought that's kind of an interesting question really. Cuz you kind of, um, hopefully hopefully there's some like a room to, to grow with the current setup that we've got
Justin: as we yeah. Well, and, and so much of it is like, we've, we've been able to notice, like you said, like sometimes we implement a change. Uh, for example, uh, you were talking about the, we have a way of submitting a podcast to apple. And the process is complicated. It's it's they don't have a submission API. And so we just, you had given us some, some feedback to say, you know, people still ask about this a lot. And then John just went in and modified some of the language and some of the UI there. And I, I think that cut things down quite a bit. Did it?
Helen: Yeah. Um, since we made that to, we haven't had any issues, so people were kind of going through halfway through the apple submission process and then getting a little bit frustrated. Yeah. That, uh, they hadn't realized that there was steps that they needed to finish off. So we just put kind of a, a bit of an indicator within the, uh, sort of our distribution screen that helped people to. Sort of loop down the list and realized that that wasn't the process wasn't quite finished, so they would go back and finish it off. So yeah, just those kind of tweaks and getting the feedback and learning from perhaps frustrations of customers and putting, putting that into a better, uh, user experience. Really?
Justin: Yeah. Yeah. And, uh, here's some of the people in the Twitter thread, so you're right. Like, we are lucky in some way because, uh, Tyler King says. I'm jealous. We average 55 new tickets per day, much more if you count ongoing conversations. And I, I think our ratio is around 60, 70 new tickets and then 60, 70% new tickets and then 30, 40, uh, responses to existing threads. So for him to be getting 55 tickets per day, that's. You know, quite a bit more than us.
Helen: Yeah. And I guess the, the first thing you would look at with something like that is like, what are the top 10 things that are being asked? Are there sort of gaps in terms of documentation? Um, are there things aren't clear that you can kind of, um, you know, permanently. Um, solve forever. Really. I remember sort of one role, one role I worked at, I kind of worked out that password reset were, uh, like causing 20% of our ticket volume. So just implementing a better password reset feature, just got rid of 20% of tickets overnight, really, which was thousands at that particular point.
Justin: So that's amazing that, I mean, yeah, that. Being able to identify those big things. And another thing you you're really good at is identifying when we just need a video or a, or a guide or whatever. And, uh, you know, sometimes just like having the right video to send people just. It, it answers all the questions. They just need to see a walkthrough and then they're good, you know?
Helen: Yeah. And that kind of saves, um, us time from kind of having lengthy conversations. Mm-hmm um, and taking up customers time, we can, we can provide them with something. They can watch their own convenience that answers it thoroughly. Yeah. And seeing, so seeing somebody talk about it and seeing your face on videos is really helpful. Mm-hmm um, It kind of builds trust in, in what we're saying and, and how to, what the best practices practices are. Yeah. So I think, yeah, I mean, even when I started with transistor, we were kind of fortunate that you gone to the trouble of creating such a, a good catalog of, um, the core documentation that, um, Yeah, we've, we've kind of just built upon that a little bit, really, but even, even starting out the gates mm-hmm um, I think that probably, um, saved you and John a lot of time in the early days. Oh yeah.
Justin: And, and in Chris, that's the help desk, uh, live chat software we use. You can just click, uh, there's a short key for, uh, question mark, and then you can search all of your knowledge base and then insert those into your answers. I do that quite a bit. And then I, I don't know if you use text expander. I, I use text expander quite a bit for, um, like a. Very common replies. You know, I've got one for private podcasts and other things that I just, I have a, you know, a short, short code, shortcut code that I just enter and then it rolls it out. And, um, you gotta be careful with those not to like, uh, put them, you know, you still wanna be, uh, engaged in the conversation, but I find just having those shortcuts is really helpful. For, you know, answering people, you
Helen: know, where all my mess, all my messages are he crafted every single time.
, Justin: that's how you know, you're a professional. Yeah, yeah. Um, yeah. And then, uh, Riley chase said that. So Tyler, he has 20 people total on his team, eight people on the customer service team out. Uh, he's got quite a big team there. And then yeah, 55 new tickets a day. And then Riley chase is doing, he's got three full-time support people, one part-time and they do 293 tickets per week. So 41 per day, which is yeah. Quite a bit as well.
Helen: Yeah. It, it's interesting to see the numbers of full time support people compared to the numbers of tickets. Mm-hmm um, Yeah, I guess, uh, there've been sometimes I guess as well. It depends on how, um, we, we are counting individual tickets, but that's not necessarily messages, so we may have. One back and forth with, with a customer, we, or we may have TW you know, a really long 20 message convers conversation, really. So that's kind of, it doesn't kind of account for how long it takes to solve an issue. Um, I would say that our questions are all kind of relatively, kind of quick respond to there. There's um, definitely been sort of organizations I work for where the kind of there's been a need to step through. Detailed sequences and that like one support ticket could take, uh, a quarter of a day sort of thing. Oh yeah. So we, we, we are fortunate that we're able to kind of, um, capitalize on the docs that we've got in the videos and respond quite quickly and then yeah. Move on to
Justin: help another customer. Yeah, yeah. That, that would be exhausting. I, I don't know if I could do that. That's part of the reason I like doing our support is that it just. It does often feel like it's quick enough, you know? And, um, and I even have support on my phone, which again is a danger because the responses can be a lot shorter and more, uh, cur if you're not careful. But, um, there, I just get so much satisfaction out of being able to answer somebody's questions when I'm on the chairlift snowboarding or whatever. just like, yeah. That, that, that immediate response and. Because we've all had that experience, you know, when we've been stuck on something and I have this old tweet, I was, I found to Jason Cohen at WP engine. This is like from back in 2016 or 17, I'm like, Jason, I can't believe it. WP engine answered my ticket at 11:00 PM on a Friday, you know? And there's, there's just something about that, that. Like you don't get that from your internet company or your cell phone company, right? No,
Helen: we, we need a prize for the kind of most unique place that we responded to
Justin: at crisp picky. It should, you know how Riverside like takes screenshots of us. As we talk, as we're recording this podcast, they should have that in crisp where they, they just take a selfie of you every once in a while. and then you're like on the mobile app and it's like, oh, here he was on the chair lift there. He was in the restaurant. Yep.
Helen: there. I am in the vets waiting
Justin: room. Yeah. Yeah, exactly. Yeah. I love that idea. Uh, any other tips you think you'd have for people like indie hackers, people starting SAS companies, um, maybe let's have it this in two parts. What do you think founders should do? Solo founders, um, or partners that are just starting out? What are some of the considerations you think they should have when they're are trying to give customer support in the beginning? What are some tricks you think they could use?
Helen: Yeah. So I think it's, I dunno whether you agree with this, but it's quite common for, uh, SaaS founders to kind of leave, not leave it too late to hire, but kind of. Um, yes, I agree. Try, try and do every, do everything as long as possible. Um, and, um, I sort of recommend like onboarding somebody, um, before you desperately need them, because, um, if you are kind of swamped with custom customer support and you've got to kind of have the patience to have help somebody get up to speed with, with something that, you know, kind of inside out. Um, I would recommend kind of doing that before you think is probably necessary. Really? Yeah.
Justin: Um, co-sign on that
Helen: for sure. Yeah. And, and sort of like writing, writing documentation as if there is somebody else within your company, even before you've hired somebody mm-hmm um, To kind of planning for that next stage. Um, yeah, because I guess as a founder, there is so much in your own, in your own head about the product and why things work the way it does that. Um, It then will become kind of a double time investment to sort of pass that on to somebody else. Really. So yeah, I would, I would recommend hiring earlier than you think. And, um, yeah, and I guess like just sort of try trying people, Aren, giving people a chance in terms of, um, seeing how it works, especially with the remote team. It's hard. It's kind of hard to hire remotely in some ways, because if you haven't met somebody, you don't necessarily know. Uh, you won't be sitting next to them. Mm-hmm um, you know, maybe sh one thing that's worked quite well is kind of, um, when we've had, uh, like other contractors working for transistor and not other places as well, I've worked just kind of shadowing in terms of like doing some support tickets together. Um, if you have that overlap, um, we are fortunate that you have some hours in the day where we are both kind of in our business hours. Um, and that's been kind of really valuable to kind of. Ask for your feedback or, um, yeah. Ask for help. And then, and then I can kind of move on and, and run with things, uh, with a little bit of that
Justin: overlap, really? So yeah. Yeah. We, in, in, in our tool and a lot of tools, you can do this. You can a mention somebody in a note, um, and. We often do that. We'll be like, Hey, what do you think about this? Or, um, and it's also where we give each other feedback. Like if, if I was too cur or blunt, um, you know, we might say, Hey bad, this is a little bit too. Uh, maybe not, not, not, uh, Nice enough. Um, although you gotta be careful of those notes cuz John and I have both accidentally published notes that were meant for each other to the actual chat.
Helen: Yeah. That, that, that, that is a golden rule. Don't ever write anything that you wouldn't want anybody to the customer
Justin: to see. Yeah. And what do you think? So you and I met in the MegaMaker community, which was a community I've been running since 2013. uh, eventually you started helping me moderate the community, and I knew you were doing work with convert kit and maker pad and other folks. And so when we were looking for somebody, I already had introduction, I knew, I was like, oh, I bet you Helen might be able to help us. And it was, I, I think initially it was like, let's just try this out for a month or something. I can't remember how we did the initial trial. Yeah,
Helen: I think we said. Something like an hour, a day for a month. And then we, and then after like four or five weeks, I think we sort of had a catch up and just asked if it was kind of working or what your feedback was. Um, and then we kind of, uh, just kind of moved onto it being kind of a rolling thing, whereas I'd be perhaps helping out early in sort of my morning time, um, first thing, um, so that. You would you kind of wake up with, um, not kind of like overwhelmed with things to answer, you could focus on what you wanted to, and then obviously your support would still be necessary in your time zone, but that would be perhaps later on in the day. Yeah. And not with the backlog of people waiting, you know, sort of angry Europeans waiting for
Justin: a reply. Yeah, that's right. That's right. Because initially, cuz you were working a full-time job somewhere else. Right. And you would kind of, you would. You would answer support before you left for work. And sometimes when you got back from work, is that
Helen: right? Yeah. So it was, it depended on, I mean, sometimes it would be the case where you may have gone to bed quite late and you might have been working quite late, so I might get up and there might not be much for, you know, you might have, um, kind of out the queue cleared that out. So it, yeah, it depends. It did sort of depend. So, um, with working in education, my kind of hours were kind of like. Quite a short, short day. Really? Yeah. Um, so I kind of might go to a coffee shop after work and do some work or, you know, just grab, grab my laptop and, or, um, first thing in the morning, um, do a little bit, so yeah, it worked out quite well. Yeah.
Justin: It was quite interesting. Yeah. And so, and that was a great for us because we were so like, We're just like typical founders and you're right. We should have hired somebody way earlier. And, um, and I think, but doing that part-time thing where it was just like, An hour two a day. Uh, that was, that made it manageable. And then eventually we realized like, wow, we could scale this up for sure. Um, even though, I mean, yeah, cuz you were our first full-time hire. So there was a little bit of like apprehension, like, are we get, what are we getting into? But uh, I think John and I recorded an episode right after like a month after we hired you full time. And it was like, why did we not do this earlier? right. Like why did we not have someone full time? Earlier. So I, I think, I think it is manageable. Like if you're starting a small startup, you could get, just try having someone answer tickets for an hour a day and just see how that works, you
Helen: know? Yeah. And have having somebody, um, you know, at least an additional person who knows, um, How things work is, um, like really valuable if you need to call somebody in, if somebody's not well, or yeah. If you have an issue and you're getting an unprecedented demand for. Responses or things like that. So that is
Justin: actually, that is another point. That's another way we learned to scale up is that I knew I had to be gone for a few days and I asked you if you could like, just be more in support more often. And so it, it, it also helped with us feeling like we could take some time off, uh, um, which is why I think eventually we probably will need to hire another support person. Um, Who's either part-time doing like four hours a day or another full-time person in north America, just so that we have more slack in the system. So like when you take time off John Jason and I have to pick up the slack and then when any of us are taking time off. You know, like right now, Jason and John are off. And so you and I are like, we're on it, right? Yeah.
Helen: And if I spent more time on demo calls or kind of articles or, or writing things, then I guess there would be, um, you know, there's that kind of balance that if anything increased, there would be obviously the trade off in, in some, some other area. Yeah. So yeah, I think, um, it's the sort of no actual progression at some point and see how, see how that goes. Yeah.
Justin: So maybe to finish off. I think one question we're gonna get is people are gonna go, how do I find someone like Helen? How do I hire someone like you? What do you, what advice would you give to people? Like what watering holes should they be hanging out in? How do they find people that can take on this customer success role? And, um, or even finding more junior customer support people, uh, we were lucky with you that you had all this experience, but you know, maybe some people just wanna hire someone more junior. That's just getting started in tech. What, what kind of advice or ideas would you give folks?
Helen: Yeah. Um, I'm always quite kind of, um, sort of keen to help people to get into that really. Um, I guess one thing, um, that you could do is to kind of. Look at other companies that you like the support of. And there may be people who have worked down the past mm-hmm um, so that's obviously one of the, you know, you, knowing that ad worked convict kit kind of gave you an, an idea that, um, I had like done some work for, you know, SAS companies in the past.
Justin: That's a good, that's a good point, cuz uh, a lot of those folks, some of those folks are only working part-time so they might be at a company you like, but they, they might still have bandwidth for. Doing more than one client, right?
Helen: Yeah. Or they might have moved on or they might be doing something, you know, freelance or things like that. So, um, just kind of picking up an idea of the types of support that are perhaps similar to yours and who may have worked there before, um, people on Twitter that, you know, you are probably in sort of your, kind of. bubble anyway, really sort of thing. Mm-hmm so, um, and then just asking people really, if you are, I think you'll be surprised at the kind of, um, number of responses you'll get. If you kind of just. Put an opportunity out there. It doesn't have to be a permanent thing. It doesn't have to be a full-time thing. It can be, um, you know, just an experiment to see if it works or not. Um, and you know, you might might find that, uh, it doesn't necessarily reduce your. Uh, kind of need for support down or something like that. But, um, I would definitely try sort of, um, in communities, in slack groups, you know, I think a lot of people perhaps spend money on job postings, um, and for something, something quite casual, it might not be worth necessarily spending that money. So, um, probably looking within your own network, um, and looking for kind of people who have, uh, worked for companies. That do support that you have experienced yourself that you think is a, a, a sort of a good quality level. Really?
Justin: Yeah. Yeah, no, I think that's great advice. And, and the other thing that we tried is we had UIN day, um, who worked with us for a while, and she was interested in a junior developer role. And we, we were just too small to be able to do that, kind of have that kind of program, but we said, well, why don't you come and do support customer support with Helen and Helen can kind of help you get onboarded into that. And, uh, I said every once in a while, when I need help on the website, On the marketing site, let's do some pair programming together and, and do some of that work together. And so I think that could be another opportunity if you have somebody who wants to get into tech and you know, maybe they're doing a little bit of web development on the side, or I think also you've been really involved in the no code community. And I think a lot of those folks could be really go right. Cuz they understand a lot of these tools, they understand about optimization and um, They might be looking for their first job in tech. Right. And they, they, they, they may have come from other. Other, uh, industries or whatever, but it can be a great way to get into tech.
Helen: It definitely is. Yeah. And I think it's, especially for people who know, uh, you know, a little bit about a lot of different tools and technologies, um, you know, it's a kind of right. Kind of role for, um, kind of people who like, um, lots of very question is. Completely different technologies from one qu from one ticket to the next. Yeah. Um, and that's, that's one of the reasons I like it is that every single question is completely different and every day is different. Um, yeah, totally. Yeah. And it's, it kind of is a really kind of broad, it's kind of, you need to be kind of a, quite a broad technologist rather than a yeah. Uh, you know, sort of deepen particular. You know, programming language or something like that. It's more of a, uh, you know, kind of helping people with all the different integrations we've got totally all the different, um, all the different software that comes before to produce a podcast as well. Yeah. So people asking for advice on, um, you know, audio video, even though. We don't produce video podcasts. People ask us for those kind of, kind of peripheral advice on those kind of technologies
Justin: as well. So actually, I'm, I'm more excited about that. No code idea now, because you're right. Like there's so many, it's like, how do I update my DNS settings on hover? It's like, well, we've. If you're a no code person and you've been in the community forever, you know how to do that. Right. Uh, what tools can I use to, uh, so being able to help people with more than just what's in our scope is so helpful. Like how do I embed my podcast on WordPress? Well, I can, I can show you because you know, we've done it before. So yeah, I think you're right. Looking for those generalists, those, uh, technologists, uh, or people that have that kind of a varied experience are. They can be awesome for this kind of stuff. One thing
Helen: I wanted to ask you was, um, sort of, what, when did it kind of feel like the right time to, to hire somebody? Was there a particular point particular moment? Was it kind of just a, a long, um, long standing thing that you kind of intended to do that, um, kind of finally became, uh, more essential?
Justin: I mean, I think especially when we were growing really fast at the beginning, so like, 2018 to 2019 was kind of our on-ramp. And then once we went full time, it just accelerated. Then it was like, wow, we get so many tickets. And, you know, I can't focus on anything else except for support. And I also knew from being on other teams, like we're gonna need help. And, and it's, it, it, sometimes it's hard to do everything like all at once. So I thought if we could onboard some people part-time like you'd mentioned that would help us ease into it. Uh, we had to like debate because John and I have different spending philosophies. Uh he's he's definitely more conservative on the spending side. And so, you know, there was like, it, it took a while for us to negoti that internally, but, um, I mean, definitely by the time. We, we started talking to you about you coming on fulltime and even leading up to that. I think I checked in with you every once in a while, maybe even three, four months before I said, Hey, I know cuz you were working full time at the time. I said in the future, if you are ever looking to go full time, I think John and I are ready to have someone come on full time and, and then yeah, maybe three, four months later. Um, it kind of happened, right. So there was like this kind of gradual, you gotta plant some seeds in order to, you know, uh, harvest later on. So yeah, I think, yeah. And, and the times where I feel like we need more people, like when I'm in the regular flow of a day, it feels fine. But as soon as I take time off, or as soon as I, you know, I'm gonna be traveling, that's where I feel the pressure. And also, I think, you know, another thing to check is like how many times is my family getting upset at me? Because I'm answering support tickets on my phone. Like that, that was another indicator for me. Like, okay, I gotta, I gotta get some help here. And, and like, I'd be waking up in the middle of the night. And my first thought was to open up crisp and like start answering tickets cuz there's probably some tickets there. So I think once you're starting to feel those things. Yeah. It's it's time to start looking for, uh, somebody, hopefully
Helen: that's got a little bit less
Justin: now. oh yeah. I mean, we noticed it right away. It was just, and even though you're in a different time zone, and even though most of our tickets are still in the north American time zone, just having somebody else who's in charge of it. And, uh, I mean, and you ever quite a quite a day, um, you know, we give you the freedom to. Figure that out on your own, but you do cover a big, we've been, you've been quite generous with us in terms of how, how long you cover. Um, but yeah, we just noticed it right away. It was just so helpful.
Helen: I kind of start and it's quite quiet in the mornings. And then obviously later on it kind of gets busier. So, um, I do kind of, sort of structure my day. So we do have some overlap between the team to catch up mm-hmm and even just chat and slack. Sometimes it's just nice to see. What everybody's up to and, um, who's around and who's on holiday or who's, you know, doing fun
Justin: things. So, yeah. Yeah, yeah. You shift your day a bit later for yourself then.
Helen: Yeah. Just sort of just to make sure that there's, that kind of, um, overlap with when the majority of the customers, um, are asking
Justin: questions really. Yeah. No, that's great. Uh, this is fun. I, I think we, we could definitely do more on this. Folks, if you're interested in customer success, if you want to, um, like even if you're interested in knowing who should you should hire definitely, uh, follow Helen on Twitter. She is Helen Ryles. So Helen and then Ryles is R Y L E S. Right? It is. Yeah. And that's in the show notes as well. I'm gonna thank our Patreons Patreon supporters. We've got Mitchell Davis brand new recruit. Dot com.au. He must be from Australia. Marcel fol from we are bold. Alex Payne, bill condo, Anton Zoran from podcast Mitch, just Mitch, nothing else. Just Mitch Harris, Kenny from the intro CRM podcast. OEG QEG Ethan Gunnerson. Chris will ward Sandler from member space, Russell Brown from Motiva NOA pril, Colin gray, Austin Loveless, Michael siter. Paul Jarvis and Jack Ellis. Dan Buddha. John's actually with Dan Buddha right now. Uh, Darby fray, Brad from Canada, Canada, Adam D Vander. Dave Juta. Juah and Kyle Fox from get reward. Thanks everyone. From listening with any luck, we will be back again next week with another episode, talk to soon.