Welcome to the Soul Touched by Dogs Podcast, the show for dog lovers who see dogs not as toys or tools, but wise souls worth our respect and care. I'm an Herrmann, and I'm your host. I talk to poor some humans, people who do great work for dogs and their people. So come and join us for today's conversation.
Anke: Hello and welcome, Andy. Oh, super Excited to have you here today.
Andy: Thank you so much for having me. I'm excited to be here.
Anke: Awesome. So now I always start with the same question I always ask people, where in this lovely world are you based and what's your business with dogs?
Andy: Yeah. So I live on the Upper West Side in New York City. My business with dogs, um, really began with my Rhodesian Ridge back Koa. He's a therapy dog who brings comfort and joy. Everywhere he goes. And he's the inspiration and heart between, um, behind KO's Rough Life, which is a business and a children's book series. Everything about our brand grew from our bond and the joy he brings in everyday life.
Anke: So, oh, that's so cute. Like, I've seen a picture so adorable. I just love, you know, goof.
Andy: Lovable little. I wanna call him little 'cause he's my little, um, little blush.
Anke: I know what you mean. Like I've got like a 120 pound baby and I call her little, like, you know, she's always gonna be my little baby, even though she's like more like a bear. Right. Doesn't matter. So, so. Did you get him as a, as a, as a therapy dog to start with or how did that come about?
Andy: Yeah, so I actually got cowa because, um, I'm a long distance runner, so I wanted a running partner. Um, and so they, Rhodesian Ridgebacks are our top five long distance running runners. And so that's the original reason why I got 'em. So I wanted him as a pet and we're gonna do marathons together. Um, they, um. They, they have these, um, events where dogs can enter as, um, for, for, for marathons. And so that's why I actually got him. Um, and then it was approximately two years into when I, um, into our, our lives together when I was really looking for a different way to make a difference. Um, I've been volunteering ever since I was about nine years o old. Volunteering and service has always been a big part of who I am. And so, um, I was talking with a friend and she had mentioned that COA had the perfect temperament to be a therapy dog. And I, I was like, Hmm, that's a great idea. And that idea just stuck with me. So about five years ago, um, we went through the training, he got certified and officially became a therapy dog. And we've been volunteering together ever since.
Anke: Wow. So what does a therapy dog need to know? Like, what is, what is asked of a therapy dog?
Andy: Yeah, so, um, initially you go through, um, more of a, like a, an evaluation to see if your dog can be a therapy dogs. Um, they, they have a, a certain type of temperament. They have to be more calm. They kind of have to not react, um, and, and be. Be able to take on commands? Well, um, especially in hospitals when there might be a specimen on the ground and you wanna say, leave it, and then they have to actually leave it. Um, you know, um, and so, um, so they, at first you do that and then you go through, uh, two months. Mine was a two month training. Um, but before that. As soon as I got coa, I've actually trained him immediately. So we went through, um, family manners. We kind of, sort of did that, that original training, just the original command. Just because I live in New York City, I needed a someone who can always, you know, just stay by my side. And because he's good, I knew he was gonna be large and I'm, I'm a tiny girl. Um, I'm five feet. Three fourths of an inch. Um, and I, I weigh approximately what weighs. And so I knew at some point, um, he was, he, he could, he could. Overpower me if he wanted to and he saw something he wanted, I would go with him. Um, and so I thought training would be a great idea, especially in the city when there wasn't that, that room for him. I don't have a big lawn to, for him to play. Um, central Park is our. Playground in the mornings, um, which is off leash, but you need the commands for him to come back. So we had that training. So he was pretty well trained before we did the, um, the therapy training. So after about two months of training where, you know, you, they, they test about, they like, they kind of like make noises and kind of just like poke around and make sure that your dog doesn't react to any of those. Um, you immediately fail if your dog jumps on someone. Um, and. With co if he jumped on someone, he could take people out. So, but he's not a jumper like that. The only one he gives hugs to is me. So thank goodness. Um, yeah. And so after that, you go through your certification, which is just to make sure that you know, you, you're able to be on your own. Um, and one, it's, one of them is, uh, an onsite where they watch you perform, um, the, the service. Um, and then you get. Certifi re-certified every year after that.
Anke: So that, that's fascinating. You know, just imagining you with a big dog, it's like, mine is, mine is massive, but I'm big too, so, so she like, she doesn't look up, but I also was very conscious of that when she was little. Like, I need to make sure she's not a pull on a walk. Right. And she can't get excited about any cat because Yeah. She's like 60 kilos. Like, you know, that's a lot of dog. Right. And so I totally, totally get it. So what does volunteering now look like? You mentioned sort of hospitals, so where do you go with him?
Andy: So co-op loves kids, so we volunteer at the children's hospital and a school for kids with special needs, um, in addition to a few, um, wellness, um, visits, but mostly at the children's hospital and at school for kids with special needs.
Anke: So how does that, what does that look like? So you walk in there and then walk.
Andy: Yeah, so, so both of are a little bit different. So at this school, um, so I volunteer on Fridays. It just, um, works best in my schedule, um, and. For the school, what happens is that we go through classroom, through classroom and we just say hello. Um, and on on Fridays for some reason, the kids always have a little bit more energy. I think they know it's the end of the week. Um, and one of the teachers once said that, um. They, they were worried that they weren't gonna get through through the day, but once CO came in, he brought a calming to, to all the students and they were able to finish that day. And it was just, it was just really nice to hear that story. So we just go from classroom to classroom and everyone just comes and pets him. And of course, here he comes. I dunno if you're gonna be able to see him. Good. Um, and then, um, and then for, for the children's hospital, um, because. It's a little bit different. So what happens is we get a list of about approximately 10 patients or children and, um, who want to have, um, a dog visit because not everyone loves dogs. And so we try to make sure that we only see the patients that want him. And so we have a list that we have, and then we go from room to room to room. Um, and then we just spend a, a few minutes with them just for them to say hi. Some of them stay in their, um, their beds and to just pet him on the psych. Luckily, he's big, he can just reach over and pet him. And then, um, some, some come and actually say hi to him if they're able to be mobile.
Anke: So do you find that they also, you know, have you ever had kids where they're kind of scared initially and then like, what's the, what's the impact? Like, apart from like, I probably wouldn't wanna let him go if I was, you know, but, but you know, like what's the, what's the impact?
Andy: Yeah. How many kids? So, um, so some kids want, like, most kids who put their name on that list say yes. Um, some kids at the, the school had that hesitation and ask, and because we go there every week, um, they, they start to get to know him and they're like, oh, he's not so bad. And because of his size, I think what the other thing is his size, right? He's like, oh. Oh my goodness. He's bigger than me because, um, the school is, the school is from kindergarten to all the way to, um, 12th grade. So it, it's one of those, um, schools that have all, all the grades. And so the, the little ones sometimes have no fear. Um, so they come and play with him. Um, and then some of the older ones, um. Like, ugh. And then after a while they, they start and they pet him, and you can just see them just relax a little. They, they're, there's something about coa. He has this calming presence. He, and like his, he has his soulful eyes that makes him a natural therapy dog. He has this like uncanny. Ability to sense emotion, and he really offers that comfort, um, to kids when they, they need it the most.
Anke: Yeah. So do you also visit like adults or do you say, well, okay, I I really specialize on kids.
Andy: Yeah. So, um. For coa, we do when it is, um, specifically for wellness visits. So some, um, through our organiz organization, they do have the ability to go to businesses and do a day of just wellness. Um, and so we do do those. Periodically, um, throughout the year, they're more of a one-off. Um, Kaba also likes to go to this school for, um, kids, um, who, who are musically talented. And he, I think he loves them the most and I don't know why, but he just loves them. And so when they do have, um, exams or, you know, they, they are just a little bit more stressed about something. They do ask or request that therapy dogs go, and we usually try to always go to that one because Koa loves them. Um, he has a connection with them somehow. Um, and so we do love that one. But Koa himself is more drawn towards kids. So I specifically choose to do things with kids.
Anke: Mm. Yeah, that makes sense. So, so what's, I mean, from, from what you can tell, since I can't ask him directly, you know, like what's, what's his, I mean, do you find, does he get sort of drained by this? Like, do you think like, okay, I can do an hour and then he's got enough? Or do you feel like, 'cause I'm, I'm thinking like, walking somewhere and everybody pets me. I don't think I, I've like that for very long. Exactly. How do, how do you, you know, feel, what's the impact on him?
Andy: Yeah. So, um, through our organization, um, therapy dogs are only supposed to work 45 minutes. I can tell that after about 30 to 45 minutes, COA does get tired as well. I mean, he's just pouring all his emotions out there and he's like, whew, that was a long day. Um, Nicole is also double certified as a, um, crisis response therapy dog. Um, and so when there are those bigger moments, um, we do volunteer longer and I just monitor, um, if he does need a break, I will ask for it. We'll take a 10, 15 minute break, let him rest and then come back.
Anke: Hmm. Oh, that makes sense. I love that. I mean, I've seen sort of, you know, like videos and things of therapists mm-hmm. Like these dogs when they're like at this kind of accident or when there's like, yeah. Big things going on and they really, they really do help for sure. So how, what, you know, how did the book and all of that come about? So you obviously have something really strong going on there, right? So there's a lot of impact already. So now you've got a shop and you've got like an how idea. Yeah.
Andy: So, um. I'm gonna start where, where CO's rough life began. Um, when I first started looking for, um, bow ties for co 'cause I really wanted coat to wear, bow ties. Um, I wanted something to capture his personality. Um. Koa is Hawaiian for Warrior. I'm from Hawaii, so I wanted him to have like this Hawaiian look to himself. Um, but I also needed it to be durable 'cause he, he had playtime with his, his friends and you know how Rich Baxton romp. So, um, I was trying to find that duality and I couldn't find what I was looking for. Um, so I just took to my machine, my sewing machine, and created my own, um, that,
Anke: oh, I didn't realize you made those.
Andy: Oh yeah. So I make them and then, um, and so, and it's, it's, it's, it's. Designs that really speak to what I love. Um, so I got, so I got to make my Hawaiian, my Hawaiian print and bow ties. Um, and so almost every year I would try to go back to Hawaii and grab more fabrics just so I could have different looks. Um, but then I, I ended up doing more for, you know, all the holidays. You know, all, any, any kind of event I wanted, I made sure I had had something and I'd always wanna do matching things. Um, and I thought these were great ideas and, um, I thought other people might want it. So that's kind of, sort of how that happened. Um, and then that same desire led me to the kitchen. Um, dog food and treats are poorly regulated. They have this long list of unrecognizable ingredients, the constant recalls. Um, I wanted to have coa to have treats that were healthier and that were something I would eat, you know? So, um, I wanted to make things that were human grade with limited ingredients, no preservatives. Something you and I would eat on a, on, on a normal. So that's kind of, sort of how that barky and fashion boutique, um. Started kind of inspired by koa. I wanted to promote a healthy, active. Life all while doing it in style.
Anke: Mm-hmm. I love that. I love that I, I've obviously looked at this side like, oh, you know, I wish you should to Spain. You know, like, those whiskey are so cute. Right. You know, and it comes with the teddy bear and it's just like super adorable.
Andy: Yeah.
Anke: Um, I didn't realize that the fabrics actually came from Hawaii directly. Like that is very,
Andy: some some did. So like the Hawaiian print ones did. Um, and those I curated just by going to Hawaii. Um, others, um, like I do for Halloweens. Um, you know, so Halloween ones are, are, are more from up here. Um, and I just have the every day for summer, you know, just casual, just a little dapper as you're walking down the street in, in New York City.
Anke: She never reminds me. And like my mom, she gave me like a, she sent me like a link years ago. 'cause my first business was a sewing business. I made like flamenco dance costumes, right? So I had, my dogs were wearing polka dot and ruffles. Like, you know, my, my, my, my dogs were boys, so they didn't wear ruffles, but I did, you know, get hired to make. You know, and my mom actually sent me this link, and there was somebody in Germany who had a boutique and specialized, specialized into, you know, outfits, like matching outfits. Like you could get your evening dress and then your dog would go matching, like she was killing it. I'm like, whoa, there's an idea. Oh,
Andy: I love that. Um, you're gonna have to send me that link later
Anke: if I can find it. I dunno, this has been like, many, many years ago, but, uh, yeah, that was, that was the concept and I'm like, oh, I could totally see that fly. You know? Yeah. Because, yeah,
Andy: so that's, that's kind of sort of how I got into the, the, the barky and, uh, fashion boutique. And then I expanded into, um, Trojan books. Um, my passion really is to educate with. Fun everyday adventures. Um, I want to spark curiosity, so I want to create stories. That make learning fun for kids. Um, and I sat down one day and I just started writing. Um, and what ended up coming out were these stories that were inspired by our real life experiences exploring New York City. Hmm. Um. Our morning runs through Central Park, um, where we would pass by the sea lions and stop to see what they're doing that morning. Um, picnicking at Bryant Park, people watching there. Um, you know, all those small moments during our daily lives that I. Sometimes we, we don't take that moment to stop and really enjoy. And so I really want to capture that and put it into our stories. Um, these are, I mean, this, this series is really a love letter to New York City, a city that's filled with energy that has this history. You know, it has this heart that I really wanted to capture and really share, um, with kids and families everywhere.
Anke: I love that, so, so that's a whole series then. So
Andy: it's one book,
Anke: right?
Andy: Yeah. So I have three currently right now.
Anke: Mm-hmm. And what's in the pipeline. And so you have like the way you look at, I'm like, oh, I'm pretty sure she's kind of fighting on. Oh
Andy: yes. So, um, yeah, so Book one is about, um, about the, um, central Park Zoo. So you follow COA on his venture to Central Park Zoo and he starts on the Upper West Side where we live. And he gets breakfast, he walks through the park and he finally ends up at Central Park Zoo. He learns about the animals that live there, um, from the sea lions to the grizzly bears. Um, penguins and I, I added fun facts. So one of my favorite fun facts in this book is because we see the sea lions every morning. The sea lions are just very social animals. Um, they, they sleep on these rocks, um, and they can hold, they can be underwater for. Over 20 minutes and I'm just like, just watching them play. Like that's one of my, that's also one of my favorite factions 'cause I love the Sea Lion so much. And then, you know, it's, it's kind of sort of this idea of turning CO's day in the city into a fun day of discovering.
Anke: That's a whole adventure then because mm-hmm. I mean, you know, if, if New York City is any, is anything, but it's not boring. Exactly.
Andy: Exactly. So I mean, it's kind of, sort of that everyday kind of feel and like yeah, there's just, there's that magic everywhere. Um, book two is about, um, Bryant Park scavenger hunt. So you've, you journey to He journeys through Bri to Bryant Park. Joins in this scavenger hunt where you try to find foun, the fountain, the carousel, um, the lions that sit in front of the New York Public Library. Um, my favorite fact about this one, and it's kind of geeky, so bear with me. Um, Bryant Park has this 120,000 square foot library underneath. Um, it hosts. 4 million books. I mean, it, it's a hidden foot of stories under our feet and it's just like, like you wouldn't even know that if you're just walking around Bryant Park. And so I put that fun fact in there. It's one of my favorite fun facts. Um, and then this one also has at, in the back for, um, and interactive scavenger hunt that the kids can tear out and then just take and actually find those items. Um, that's so cool. Yeah. And it has a dog friendly, um, recipe for waffles that he enjoys in the story. So this one has just a little bit more. Um, and then book three, which is my favorite, if I could have a favorite you laptop Favorite, um, is Christmas time in New York City. So he takes children and on the holiday adventure through New York City, he visit, he, um, experiences the season's most beloved. Traditions like the Macy Day Parade, uh, Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, the Lincoln Center's Nutcracker. Um, and it, it's, it's blending that fun facts. It's Bri with a heart heartwarming story about that magic of that season and spending it with family and friends. Um, yeah, so I, that's my favorite one. And oh, it's, it's, it's because it, it's based on. The, uh, morning tradition that we do on Christmas day. Um, every Christmas morning we walk down fifth Avenue. We see the window displays. We stop off at the Rockefeller Christmas tree. We then. Um, continue on to Bryant Park Winter Village. Um, we drove the rows of the holiday shops grabbing a hot chocolate for me and on more milk for Koa, watching the skaters ice, um, ice skate. And then we just end up at Macy's Harald Square for more wind window displays. Um, and so that's kind of, sort of how this, this story came to be. Um, it's, it's just, I love. The Rockefeller Christmas tree, no matter how many times I've seen it, it always brings this warmth in my heart and like why I really love the holidays in the, in the city.
Anke: Oh, I love that. That's, and it's perfectly timed as well, right? You know, we're literally little sliding into that, into that season, so that's absolutely perfect. Yeah. So now with all of this, I have to ask, do you still have time to run? Yes.
Andy: So I run in the morning. Um, and so I'm an early bird. I wake up at four in the morning. Um, so the only thing that stops me is, um. When the sun rises. So, um, during the summer, sunrises around five, I'm out at five. We get about five to seven miles in the morning. Um, but during October it's like seven 30. When it gets, it gets a little bit bright. So we start a little later, we get a little less miles, but we still get out there.
Anke: Because I'm thinking like this. I, I, the thing is like, that's, none of that's your day job, right? No. Because you do have a day job as well, right? I do.
Andy: These are all my passions that I've kind of. Put together and, and, and made something with it.
Anke: I love it. And, and so do you wanna just mention what the day job is, you know, because it's not like your, your sort of part-time, five minute on the site, you know? Yeah. So, I dunno, how, how do your days at more, more hours than everybody else is?
Andy: Well, I, I start, I just started a little earlier than one. Um, yeah. So I'm actually a doctor, um, and I work in. The pharmaceutical, um, industry, um, in medical communications and medical affairs.
Anke: So it's like, it's quite sort of, I mean, it's not opposite, but it's just like, you know, don't wait. Is there a connection for you?
Andy: Yeah, so for me there is, so, um, in my professional career, I've always, um, thought about being a doctor as educating and helping others. When I moved, made that move to the pharmaceutical side, um, it gave me that. A way of combining knowledge and storytelling. Um, we have to tell, um, these, these stories to patients and physicians about a cer a certain drug and how it actually worked. Um, so my storytelling approach transformed complex scientific concepts and clear engaging narratives that. Sparked understanding. Um, and it's kind of, sort of what I do with, um, CO's rough life, the Trojan's book series where I apply that same method. I take fun facts and culture in this sense, and I weave it into a playful adventure that can make learning fun and approachable for younger adults or younger kids.
Anke: I love that. I love that. 'cause I'm always interested, you know, when there seems to be something, like two things that seem to be opposite, I was like, I wonder what that looks like for you because connection, right? And it's actually a really, really, once you say it, it's like Yeah. Kind of. That's obvious.
Andy: Not that, um, yeah.
Anke: But it, well it may not be obvious for the outsider, but it does make sense once you explain it. Mm-hmm. And there is, there is that connection like the. Like the, the driving motivation underneath is, is literally the same. Mm-hmm. You know, so I love that. I love that. So what's, what's, what's on the horizon? Like, what's the next thing? Well that's brewing in your mind.
Andy: Yeah, no. So I wanna continue CO's story. Um, I can, you know. I, I think New York City has endless stories to tell. Um, and I think he's just getting started. I think we can also take this on the road if we wanted to. Um, I just can't wait to share where his paws are gonna take us next. I just haven't decided where yet.
Anke: Well, well, when you do decide, I will hope. To see you back here to tell us all about it. Definitely. So let people know in the meantime where they can connect with you, where they can find out more, where they can get some, some, you know, some cute, cute, um, bandanas and, and bow ties and biscuits and, and all these lovely things.
Andy: Yeah. So our website is CO's rough life.com, um, for something extra special signed copies of. His books can, um, be purchased exclusively through our website. Um, you can follow our adventures on Instagram at CO's rough life.
Anke: Awesome. Well, thank you so much. Obviously, you know, the link's gonna be in the show notes and below this video, so wherever you're watching it, uh, it's not gonna be hard to find and I just love the name too. Thank you. So thank you so much, and I love the enthusiasm, I love the mission behind it. And I, and really, really enjoyed and like, you know, feel inspired to plan another visit to New York.
Andy: Oh, yes, please do. Come, there's, there's so many things to see. May, maybe that will be the next book, more of a touristy one where you see all, all the, you know, like the Statue of Liberty, you know, um, uh, stock exchange. Maybe that's our next one. Times Square,
Anke: you know, this is how ideas come up, come about. Right, exactly. So thank you so much. It's an absolute delight and I can't wait to have you back.
Andy: Thank you. It's been a pleasure. Bye bye. Thanks so much for listening. If you enjoyed the episode, don't forget to subscribe, and leave a review so other dog lovers can find the show. If you haven't already, head over to soul touched by dogs. com and sign up for weekly doggy cuteness tips, recommendations, and personal stories to warm your dog loving heart. And if you know a pawsome human you think I should interview, I'd love an introduction. Email me at Anke. That's A N k E at Soul touched by dogs.com.