Duke: Okay, Corey, you mind if I give the intro this time?
CJ: Oh man. So we're gonna, we're gonna change things up. Let's do it.
Duke: So I have been involved in a lot of conversations over the past little bit about engagement managers. I've just had a lot more people who are new to the ecosystem who are curious about the role. , I've talked to people about the differences about PMs and ems and so Corey and I thought maybe it would be a cool idea since we've done the admin, the ba, the architect, the implementation consultant. Maybe we do an episode that talks exclusively about engagement managers. What do you say, Corey?
CJ: Yeah, let's do it Duke.
. Duke: So I guess the first question obviously is, what does an engagement manager do?
CJ: Yeah, man. So that's a really good question. I'm going to punt that one to you and let you start it off,
Duke: my interactions with engagement managers has been when a project has big teams on both sides, So you're, you have an organization in all its stakeholders in a ServiceNow deployment. And the partner, the services partner has a bunch of people coming to the table as well, right? So you've got an architect, you've got devs, you've got, you know, maybe BA people, some QA people, and
CJ: people.
Duke: Exactly. Now does everybody just talk to everybody? Yeah. A couple of BS people for sure. Yeah. but does everybody talk to everybody? No, everything kind of filters up on, both sides, right? There's a prime person on the customer side, and there's a prime person on the, service provider side. And I would say that prime person is the engagement manager on the services side.
CJ: Got
Duke: is, it is the face of the project.
CJ: Okay.
Duke: From the on the delivery side, the customer has a face too, right? That's the prime stakeholder. The person who calls all the shots, the person you're doing it for. The person who's most involved in the day-to-day, But what do you call the equivalent of that on the delivery side? The person who answers for everybody else, and I say, that's an engagement manager, and we're gonna see there's gonna be some gray areas, right? Because a lot of people have probably been in situations where it's like, oh, I know that person, but they didn't call themselves an engagement manager. Nevertheless, that's the role they're playing in that moment,
CJ: all right. Okay. I'll follow you now. So it's basically, so we're looking at the engagement manager that whether or not you're actually actually dubbed that, those specific words as the person who is manag the engagement and talking to the other side of the other size person who's managing that engagement. Right. Like just to. Just kind of trying to herd all the cats and keep everything in line and making sure it gets to the goal line. So then let's ask this question, dude. What's the difference between an EM and a pm?
Duke: Okay, so I would, uh, Colleen falling in line with what an engagement manager does, right? They're the, the face of the project and a PM can sometimes be that as well,
CJ: Okay.
Duke: but we also know PMs that aren't that person.
CJ: True, right? Like so I, okay, so I, so the right, cuz the PM is often a lot more in tune with the deliverable side of it and not necessarily managing the project as a concept,
Duke: So I would say it's kind of like the EM is acting as the face of the project, the single source of accountability. Um, and also the prime, faced organizer. And when I say that, I mean it in the ways that all that the PM is not. So a PM might be like, well I know that we have to do all these workshops and they have to be in sequence. Cause each one relies on the, on the previous. And I know that that must become before we do a, deliver deliverables review. And that happens to happen before we do a whatever. Okay. So the PM is gonna like, organize all that Structure the work, but the em, I think is the person who's gonna be like, okay, so first workshop is about discovery, so we're gonna need your ser, someone from your server team, someone from your network team, and blah, blah, blah. How do we go about finding those people? Customer, can you please gimme a list of their names? I'm gonna go get this organized. We'll send out an invite. You see what I mean? Like they're the people. The motive force, the people who will actually do compulsively do the things that the organization of it requires. make any sense.
CJ: Yeah, I, I think I'm following this right. So the em is, is the person, right, who is charged with not just the deliverables of the project, right? Because that's the project manager. The project manager is calling people like me as an architect, saying, Hey, did you do this thing? When is it gonna be complete? One of your developers gonna finish their stories, right? Like that sort of thing. And they're reporting up to the em, the em, em is basically calling the other side, like, Hey, all right, so we've got these things scheduled, or do you have your people ready? These things we're gonna do, we need to report up the management on this date, and you know, we're gonna make sure we have this presentation done for 'em so they can understand the value and where we are in this thing. And really just kind of being that single source of truth for the project from that per that side of, of the engagement.
Duke: It's a shame. I gotta think about this in terms of like when it goes wrong, right? But when an implementation starts going wrong and a customer has like significant issues that they wanna address, like I had a customer once where the partner came in, they had like a team of bas, they had a team of developers, but they were all offshore. And so it was basically requirements gathering. Went to the BAS in our meetings and then we come in the next day or the next few days and we'd, we'd see the development and it was all wrong.
CJ: Right,
Duke: And it was just like, do we, do we scream at the bas? No, it was fundamentally a problem with the structure of the project. It was like, oh, you can't talk to the developers cuz they're in a different time zone. Well, excuse me, who's the customer here? Right? But we're having that conversation with the engagement manager. We're not happy about this.
CJ: Right.
Duke: not happy about. Who's got the authority to make this thing change?
CJ: Hmm.
Duke: Okay, so the engagement manager says, you write, you're absolutely right. Let's get an onshore developer into the mix. Let's, you know, maybe we don't need as many bas or whatever, you know what I mean? But they have, they, like, on top of being the face, they also have the authority to , change the parameters of the project.
CJ: So the chief stakeholder for the delivery side?
Duke: Yes, absolutely. Absolutely. And I the perfect metaphor in my mind is just the face.
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: Right. When we, when when you and I talk, I talk to your face, you talk to my face, you don't talk to my hands, you don't talk to my feet, even though they're, you know, critical in whatever it is we do together, right? But it's just like we talk to each other's face. This is the, the engagement managers is that face
CJ: that makes sense to me. All right, so I'm, I'm seeing a distinction now, right? Like between the engagement manager and the project manager, because the project manager does have a different manifest sort of, duty in the project than the engagement manager. All right, so what makes a good engagement manager?
Duke: Okay. What makes a good engagement manager? So when I look at the, of the successful implementations and the engagement managers that I've enjoyed working with and like just everything went smooth is a certain amount of confidence and charisma, the intangibles of human behavior, ? we like this person, we don't know why is this cool to hang out with them, this person, right? Like the people who are, that are naturally likable.
CJ: Right,
Duke: and charismatic, when they walk into the room, everybody notices that they walk into the room. When they talk, everybody else goes quiet. Right. they have that intangible presence about them.
CJ: Press. I like that.
Duke: Right. The gravitas, that's the word you use, right?
CJ: yeah, yeah. The grandma's house.
Duke: Yeah. There's, there's a presence about 'em. And it helps because you're about to walk into a place and tell them like a new way of living essentially.
CJ: Yeah. And you're gonna have to make them understand, you're gonna have to convince them of it. Right. Like you want them to agree with
Duke: Yeah, there's a persuasiveness about it. and so obviously the more naturally persuasive you are, the more success you're gonna have with that. And I also think of charisma in terms of like a coolness and a calmness, Because a lot of their value is if and when things start getting uncomfortable. Like the customer is really pissed off about, okay, well how come I can, how come we can never talk to the developers? Because all your developers are offshore and you're only giving me people onshore who can't tell me what's going on with the developers, and I'm pissed, and now it's your problem.
CJ: right. And then this in person slides in, it's like, oh, whoa, calm down.
Duke: No, you're, you know what, no, I, that's absolutely, you're absolutely right. That's a terrible, place for us to be in. So, I have the authorization to change the parameters. This project, I'm acting all like, I'm like, I got the confidence charisma, right? But, but you see what I mean? They have to be the kind of person who is in the middle of the storm. They can just handle it. They can get yelled at. They can be the person who has the finger pointed into their chest. You know what I mean? They will receive. the anger, the discomfort, the negative energies of when things start going wrong.
CJ: So, I mean, the next thing too for me right then is that this person needs to be trusted, not just by the organization that they're representing, but also with the client organization too, right? The client has to trust that they have the authority on their side of the fence to get things done and the um, the, on the deployment side, right? They have to have that trust internally that when they come to, you know, internally and say, Hey, This client is really on the lash. We really need to talk 'em down, and to do that, we need to change our development methodology. They need to have that trust internally to be able to make that happen.
Duke: I think also an exceptional level of narrative building,
CJ: Okay.
Duke: if, especially on longer projects, it really matters that everybody understands the successes that we've had so far.
CJ: Yeah. Right.
Duke: know what I mean? So we keep the momentum up. It's not like, Christmas where everybody's waiting until the night before the go live to see if we get something cool under the tree.
CJ: Yeah, no. Right. Like by the, it is, none of this stuff should be a surprise. Right. And I think, I think sometimes we, you know, we, we forget about that when we're, when we're actually doing deployments, right? Or any kind of, uh, a project, the, the outcome of this should never be a surprise. Like there should never be a point in the project, That. We are uncertain what's going to happen next week or next month or next sprint or what have you, right? Like all this stuff should be communicated. Everybody should be more withstanding for major things, right? I mean, things pop up, right? Like this feature might be a little harder to develop than we thought. But at the end of the day, if the go live is on May 1st, we should know that we are gonna be able to hit May 1st date or not way before May 1st. we shouldn't be surprised on April 15th that we can't hit May 1st. That's the project Fair. And, and telling that story to your stakeholders and telling that story to your clients, right? Like, so do they understand where we are, I think is one of the most critical skills of a, of an engagement manager, right? Because that's so perception, right? Like, can, could really throw a project off, we could be doing everything well, but if our client thinks that we're screwing up, like that's all that really matters.
Duke: that's right. , it's like constant pulse checks, how do you feel about us going and, and, and it, you see what I mean? How like there's, a part of this that is beyond the project manager, So how do you feel about how things are going to, do you feel like you're being listened to? Like, are we going after the outcomes that we originally thought, you know, a pulse check and, and that has nothing to do with cost, schedule, scope. Well, maybe scope, I don't know. But you know what I mean. It feels like it's beyond just the, we are off schedule,
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: we are, but maybe everybody's happy about it because we're factoring for something else. But
CJ: Yeah, maybe. Maybe we scope creeped a little bit and it was acceptable scope creep, so that put us off schedule a little bit. But everybody's okay with that, right? Because know what they're getting. We've communicated the value of what they're getting, and we've communicated extensively on how that that additional value took us off scope and off schedule, and everybody's fine. Right?
Duke: now what I also know is to talk about narrative, capability is, somebody who can build a good narrative, kind of understands what their audience wants. I.
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: Okay, so I was in a meeting, this is like one of my clients I was at, and, I was kind of like the Far Architect episode, remember, I, I was like the independent architect that was just there to like, be advice for the customer and not trying to scale up my operations there. And they had a, a, a large partner in with a large team, very large team. And it was just kind of in the opening phases of the project. And , the prime stakeholder on the customer side said something like, and this is the consultants we brought in and the engagement manager, like flat out interrupted her on the call. And said, oh no, I have to stop you there. I have, I have to stop you there because, we're not just consultants, we're partners and it, diminishes what we offer to your organization if you call us consultants. And so we have to be called partners for this implementation because that's what we are for you. And I'm just like, you know what? A partner wouldn't have interrupted me in the middle of my speech, in front of my peers to say that.
CJ: Yes. Okay. Right, and that, I think that is one of the right tact would be another one of the skills that an engagement manager. I have, right? The ability to know when, when to speak up and when not to, right?
Duke: it was, it is an entirely bad narrative. You completely miss the fact that if you want to be the partner, prove you're the partner. Don't just like demand to be, you know what I mean?
CJ: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Duke: I demand you. Perceive me in this way. Well
CJ: No,
Duke: man.
CJ: no. Like you don't, you need to do the thing, right? Like if you do the thing, then we will think you are the, person, right? Who does the thing, that's what it comes down to, I don't tell people that I'm a ServiceNow architect by going in. I talk to 'em and they're like, man, that guy, ServiceNow architect, they get it. man, you've nailed more about ServiceNow than anybody I've ever met. And I'm like, great, thank you. I appreciate that. I didn't tell you that though, but you just got it, and then, I don't know, like it's one of the things, and it's, you know, like limit of a tangent, right? Because I talk a little bit about, you know, myself for a minute, but one of the things that I, that I often get told when I come into a, uh, an engagement, right, is that nobody ever talks about these things like you do. Right. Or nobody ever just this aspect of thing. Right? And I feel like that's the thing that engagement managers are supposed to bring to the table as well, the ability to talk about the project in a way that's different from the way that your technical folks are talking about it. Even your architect, even your project manager, like and it goes back to that narrative building, right? The ability to, to really take the confidence, right? That calm, cool collectiveness that they have and project it out to the client, right? So that they now also feel confident in this implementation, right? They now are home and cool about it, right?
Duke: and just being able to see it in other people. Like, you know, when you can tell like, that person is uncomfortable. So that means I have a job to do if I'm the engagement manager. Like I've gotta like, okay, I've gotta figure out why they look uncomfortable.
CJ: yeah. Oh my God.
Duke: not only that, but I've gotta like give them a pathway out of the discomfort.
CJ: Yes, yes. oh my God, right? It's like build your enemy, a golden bridge upon which to retreat, right? and so like, it's the same thing here. When, when you're in a conference room, right? When you've got a bunch of stakeholders here and one of them who has a, maybe a, a influence, right? It is looking uncomfortable. You wanna figure that person out, right? You wanna figure out what's got them looking uncomfortable and what you need to do to get that person back to status quo. So you want to build them that bridge upon what you can retreat from that discomfort back to status quo. An engagement manager has to recognize that in the moment and help them get back.
Duke: So just add kind of like, um, you know, freelance psychologist to the whole engagement manager skill list.
CJ: Man, but this is true, right? Like these things, you know, dude, these are the things that, uh, you know, they really intrigue me about the profession that I, I don't think. Are really covered all that often and, and, and, you know, at a macro level. So I I maybe it's the meta stuff, right? It's the meta details about what we do, , in terms of being ServiceNow professionals, right? But you do need to be a bit of a, person who can do a little bit, I guess a layman psychoanalysis, right in the moment, Might be able to understand when you're in the presence of who might be. getting a little challenged by what you dream, right? And trying to understand, you know, what it was, you know, that, that they picked up on, that they don't like, and how to, resolve that situation. Mention, These are the thi right, these, this is the difference. Sorry, I'm, I'm going on. But, uh, this is the, this is the difference, right? But that separates folks from being just a service developer and a consultant. Like when you're a consultant, you, you bring these additional skills, these additional sauce to the table, right? That a allow you to add that additional value in these ways.
Duke: That's a great segue to the next point, because. Probably by now, our listeners have probably said, wait a minute. I know a lot of people who fill this kind of role look and act that way. but they don't call themselves engagement managers. And to, to that, I say, yeah, how many other ServiceNow jobs in our space can be an amalgam of two jobs. how many admins do you know can also dev? How many bas do you know can also dev? How many like certified implementation, specialists for S SPM can also do I I T S M. We know that one body can encompass more than one role a lot of the times. So maybe we talk about some of the most likely places where EMS overlap.
CJ: Yeah. Uh, so that's a, that's a good place, duke to, to segue actually. The first thing I'd say is independent consultant. Are typically, the a place where you'll find engagement manager like skills, I mean, especially if you are a person who is parachuted into a gig and you're the only person on it, right? Which often happens to me, right? Like when I'm an independent consultant, I sh I show up and I'm the only person on the, on that ServiceNow team, at least from an outside perspective, And so there's no pm, There's just me. He's an expert and them as a, uh, in a need. And then I gotta try to manage this whole thing. From what value are you looking to try to, uh, achieve the platform and how do we get there? How do we build the narrative, for the people above you that we're generating success so that you also look good while we're doing this and they don't look. Look like they're just throwing money into a hole because they hired a consultant on, on, and on, right? Like this whole skill set that we just talked about, that a, uh, em brings to the table as an independent consultant who's running a, a project, just by a virtue that you're the only person on it. You need to really have those skills as well.
Duke: Yeah, I mean really what else would you be if you are your own face for your own set of services? Right?
CJ: Right.
Duke: who else flies cover for you? who else like stands in front of the customer for you? So if you're an indie consultant, especially one who has like the prime relationship with the customer, you are basically your own engagement manager.
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: that is for sure. the second place where we see the most overlap is, project managers, and I've always been of the opinion that the best project managers are natural engagement managers, and the best engagement managers are also project managers. Just get those two skills aligned to the same person and magic happens.
CJ: Yeah. I mean we, as we've just discussed, right, there is a little bit of, overlap there, just naturally, because they're both managing. Large swaths of the, of the project. And so I do agree that, you best, EMS are going to be good PMs, right. Though I will say that I'm not sure that I want my EM being a PM because I think they're far too valuable to be managing the nuances of a project like a project manager is.
Duke: Hmm. I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on that.
CJ: Oh, yeah.
Duke: And I would recall back to the episode we did with Pat Fuller,
CJ: Okay.
Duke: we're gonna put a link to that in the description below. Everybody take a shot. , but Pat Fuller is, me, the pinnacle of both sides in one person, like exquisite project manager. has everything laid out in Excel, nose down to the day when all this stuff has to get done by, where she's getting the resources from, how much she's spent on it, how much she has extra for wiggle room, all that pm goodness. But she also does it from an engagement management perspective because she is the face of this thing getting done. She just understands the structure of the work to get it done. And, Pat's the kind of person where the C-suite, someone from the C-suite calls her up, cio, c o o, Hey Pat, take care of this 15 million thing for us, make it go faster. The end. And, uh,
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: you know what I mean? And she's got, all of the, authority to change the parameters of the project. or the parameters for success. She's has the project plan, she made it herself, so she knows it implicitly and she's got that confidence in charisma and the cool under calm and the, the narrative building and the hyper organization. and, and she just talks about that on top of all the other things, on top of schedule, cost, and scope.
CJ: Absolutely true, and I totally agree with you that Pat Fuller can , be my em n pm any of the week twice on Sunday, there are very few Pat Fullers in this world.
Duke: That I will give you.
CJ: and I think, unless you have the skillset of a path Fuller, then I do think that I want my, em more focused on managing the engagement as a whole and make sure that the success is communicated versus, um, maybe managing some of the nuances and, and ensuring that my developers are building stories on time.
Duke: Hmm.
CJ: I want them holistically engaged narrative as, as you mentioned, like, you know, a couple minutes ago, The narrative, I think is much more important then the stories, , are, that are getting built, , it's why we're building the stories, how we're building the stories, and what we're gonna accomplish by building those stories. Somebody's gotta spin their yarn, right? And somebody's gotta build those decks and have those meetings with management to make sure that they all, come away feeling, feeling warm and fuzzy. And you can't do that, right if you're always making sure that everybody's managing to the date. it's your job to when, when they didn't manage the date or they're, or they're, uh, you know, somebody should be telling you, Hey, we're not going to be able to meet the date. Right? And that's when you gotta go do the em thing with the client, right? Like, oh crap, all right, so we're not gonna let me get it out in front of this, right? And so now you gotta send a narrative on why you didn't, you're not gonna hit the date, and how you're going to correct for it and why it should, you shouldn't be alarmed and why it's not a big deal, right? I want my em to be able to do that quickly without having to deal with the nuance of whether or not this is, , potentially a misstate or maybe they're, you know, folks are a little hypersensitive or, worried about, you know what I mean? Like worried about like whether or not this is real or make belief. Right. I just, I want them working on the narrative in case it is real.
Duke: I guess where it's like I, I idealize 'em in the same body because as soon as we discover that this thing is gonna go off the rails, then go broker the reconciliation with the customer and not have this scenario where it's like, okay, the PM now has to tell the EM. That this is off the rails and then the EM goes to the customer. if those can both be in the same body and they have such an overlap of skillset. Anyway, sorry. I
CJ: No, no, I mean,
Duke: to disagree, I guess, but
CJ: no, I'm, I'm with you on that too. I, I mean, like, I get where you're coming from on it, right. And I think, I guess if it's a smaller project, then it makes sense to have both of those folks in the same body. But I do think on the larger project, I want my em separate, I want them managing fires and, spinning narratives, you know, throughout the entirety of the, of the project that not necessarily focused on. ensuring that the stories get delivered on time.
Duke: Okay. Well we got a few minutes, more time. so I thought maybe what we would do is talk about If we have listeners or at the start of their Service Now career and they say, oh, EMS for me, what do you gotta keep in mind?
CJ: Huh? Yeah. Okay. if you know you're at the, starting your career and you think, man, I really want to be an em, one of the first things you need to do right, is to underst to understand like that skillset, like we talked about, that you need to bring to the table when you are an em, that means you gotta be really confident and, and comfortable talking in front of people. People who have a lot of power, typically in a situation, Like, you gotta realize that you're going to be the, the face. Right of a deployment, talking to the other face, of the folks who are asking you to do the thing. Typically that face is gonna have a, degree of power in the situation. So you have to, you know, be confident in those spaces. Like, that's one of the things, you know, probably, maybe the, maybe the number one thing from my, from a perspective,
Duke: I'd also wager that engagement manager is not something that you walk into, you have to have done something of a similar scale.
CJ: Sales.
Duke: Yeah. Yeah. But you, you, I think you would've had to have been in charge of some kind of like multi-person objective, where it You are the person who is going to, face the fire if the thing fails and there's 20 other people working on it with you.
CJ: I can see
Duke: don't, I don't think you go from school to engagement manager.
CJ: Yeah. Yeah. No, I, I agree. I I think you do need some real world experience and, doing some things right before you can be an engagement manager. Absolutely. But I do think sales is one of the places that I've seen successful engagement managers come from, right? Because it's sort of like a similar skillset, right? Like you want confidence, you know, charisma. You want to be able to tell the story. Three, right? You need to be organized. You need to be, really, um, confident in situations where you don't necessarily have all the power, right? And other people do,, and you gotta be able to push too because you're trying to close the deal, right? Like when you're in sales situation, you're trying to close the deal. When you're in em, you're really trying to get your client to buy your narrative. Right. And so that, so that they really believe that everything's going, and that, that's not to say you should be tricking them, right. But you know what I mean? Like you're selling a narrative. You want the client to buy into it, right? And that's just like sales, in my opinion. You want to close the deal. You want to get the client to, to buy the narrative. So I, so I see, you've got some, some successful year years in sales under your belt. I think a transition to em is probably, not too hard.
Duke: And I'd say if you had informal project management experience or perhaps you have a military career where you had command, right.
CJ: a goal. Yeah.
Duke: That that would be a real,
CJ: Yep.
Duke: but more generally if it's many, many people, except you get all the blame if it all goes wrong, I think is like, is the fingerprint for a good ya?
CJ: So if your husband to a family.
Duke: Well, you know what I'm saying? Like, you know that expression like if you wanna get something done, give it to a busy person because they just, there's certain people who just figure out ways to get it done. Figure out ways to success.
CJ: Right.
Duke: and you kind of gotta be one of those people.
CJ: yeah. Agree, right? Like there's, all right, you gotta be constantly pushing, right? you can't be scared. There's no room for fear, when you're an em, right? And it goes back to that, that confidence and charisma, right? Like you.
Duke: coolness under pressure is just like, okay, I'm, yeah. I'm getting yelled at. They're super mad. I can see that they're just, you know, and they're yelling at me.
CJ: Right, right. So, so, so it's like, okay, so what do we do? Right? Like, what do we do? All right, so the one thing we don't do right is get mad and yell back.
Duke: Oh, for sure. Yeah. That would be, it's called that Plan Z.
CJ: Yeah, exactly. Right. But if you don't have the experience in these situations, maybe that is your first impulse, right. Is to get mad and yell back and that's not what you want to do. Right. So, yeah, I mean the, some accountability and, and situations previously, I do think is an important skill to have when thinking about coming in em.
Duke: At least from my perspective, and I've, been on stuff that hasn't gone so well. You know what I mean? I can, I can admit that. I think if you're not em and you want to know how EMS do it, I would say you gotta shut off that part. That's gonna take it personal. Right. it's not personal. They just have a lot of emotional energy behind the outcome and. Just let them go. don't try and calm them down
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: and certainly by interrupting them, I, I'd say like, listen, intently is strategy number one. Listen intently. If they're in a point where they're like yelling and very, very frustrated and take notes. Because if they're giving it to you once, when they're angry, like they won't appreciate asking you to repeat themselves, right? So just take notes as they're talking. And make sure that they feel heard. I think once they're, once they feel heard, that's step one to getting them,
CJ: Man there, there's just.
Duke: amicable to to, to how you're gonna steer it. You know what I mean?
CJ: Yeah. And the, the more we talk about this, right, it just, it goes back and I think we did a, an episode or two on soft skills, right? And it just really, underscores for me, like important, these soft skills are as you advance your career. Right, because I don't think em is like an inch level career, But when you start to, right. You know, but when you start to look at these steps, right? Something like independent consultant, em and things of that nature are ServiceNow architect, right? these are spots where. Those soft skills really do come into play and people expect a little bit more than just you being able to recite the technical literature, right. that you re remember, like, you know, yeah, I can, can, can you write a glide query, you know, with your eyes closed? Sure. But a lot of people can do that. and the CEO that you're talking to who doesn't really care, right? They, they wanna know how, how is what's in it for me? how is the thing that you're about to do that I'm asking you to do that I'm about to pay you for? Right. Like, gonna make my life better and easier and tell me in three minutes, And, and so I, I do really think that those off skills like the folks who have them and the folks who don't write like that, that schism really starts to show itself as you start to, um, elevate your career.
Duke: I just love the fact that you said soft skills too, because if there's ever a role that was almost entirely soft skills.
CJ: Yeah,
Duke: You know, unless you take my advice and say a good pm a good EM is also a good pm, then you need the hard skills of,
CJ: a project management, right? Yeah.
Duke: management, all the artifacts and whatnot. But man, but I have seen EMS that aren't PMs and they're just all, that person, that person everybody loves to love, can't stay mad at 'em, inspires confidence even though they're not the ones turning the wrenches.
CJ: Yeah. , And, as these, um, projects, as the spend, starts to, um, ratchet up, right? Like, the job of that engagement manager just gets more and more, I. Right. Because if you're spending 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 million on a, on a project, the person who can spend that narrative and keep everybody focused and calm and confident in the project is worth Right. Ament to that project. Because the one thing that will start to destabilize a project is a lack of confidence in it.
Duke: And that always starts somewhere, right?
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: it starts with maybe a communication breakdown. Like how come all of our devs are always somewhere else in different time zones and we can never talk to them,
CJ: Right.
Duke: figure out what went wrong on their side, And that could be something where I'm still happy for a little while until it starts getting really frustrating.
CJ: Yeah, exactly And it could just be one thing that takes it from happy to frustrating too, right? If the thing is big enough, and you need somebody to come in and you know, narrative that away. or somebody to come in with the authority to recognize, well, someone who could come in and recognize whether or not this is a situation where something needs to be done or someone needs to listen, that's step number one, Because there are situations where your client is gonna be upset, but this is just a listening situation where they want to yell at somebody and they really just want to vent, their trouble with the project. Right? And you're gonna listen to some of those things. You're gonna hear those things and you're gonna calm 'em down, right? And you're gonna tell 'em everything's gonna be fine and they're gonna be happy, But then there are other situations where you need to do something and that them needs to be able to tell the difference between the two. is this a situation where we need to lose a couple of points of profit in order to move development back on shore because this client's gonna walk otherwise, right? Your em needs to know, that person is going to be the person who, who, reports back internally and says, Hey, right? we need to lose a couple points right here and we need to bring, we need to bring development back internally and need our all stars on this thing for two weeks. and that, and again, right, that's that trust thing that we talked about earlier, right? Like the internals are going to, uh, internal folks are going to trust this person and give them that without a, without a, uh, without blinking, right? Because they know that this, that's the skillset that they hire.
Duke: All right. Wow.
CJ: I mean, that got good at the end.
Duke: Yeah. Behind the camera people every behind the microphone. Corey and I were like, how are we gonna fill 30 minutes on, on engagement managers? And here we are at like, uh, 40 minutes of record. So,
CJ: Well, duke, episode 82, and we still don't have it. Still don't have a outro.
Duke: ah, someday. All right. Thanks folks. We'll see you on the next one.