Heather: Hello, and welcome to the 99th, 99 number episode of The Friday Nightmares Podcast. It only took us, I don't know, four and a half years to get here, but here we are, we are 99, one off from 100, baby, one off.
Scott: We're at the penultimate episode.
Heather: This is it. So if you're joining us for the first time, you gotta go back and listen to all 98 episodes. For anything we say to make sense. My name is Heather Powell and I am one half of the premium professional basically special edition. Anything that you can think of that only releases once in a while, that's The Friday Nightmares Podcast. And I am from Waterdown, Ontario, Canada.
Scott: And with me is Mr. Smokeshow Crawford, coming to you from the town of Swartz Creek, in the county of Genesee, in the state of Michigan, in the United States of America, in the North American continent, in the Western Hemisphere, on the planet Earth, in the Milky Way Galaxy. I'm fully vaxxed, boosted, and waxed, and ready to climax. And if you can, please get me wet and feed me after midnight. I'm the man with the glorious beard, a.k.a. the mother of cats, a.k.a. the man with the humongous ego, a.k.a. Scott Howzen, a.k.a. Scotty2Hotty, a.k.a. Spanky, and of course, like Heather said, one half of the premium podcasting duo that is The Friday Nightmares Podcast. You won't get any better anywhere else, folks, especially from those dummies of horror, guys.
Heather: Yeah, no. Like, talk about overachievers. Don't they have, like, 100 and 200 episodes and shit like that? Honestly. Yeah, it's like, you know, hard.
Scott: When you really like you, like I was just talking about, you know, with Magic the Gathering, when you release too many sets, you burn people out and you just don't want to keep up.
Heather: We definitely don't burn anybody out.
Scott: So, you know, we release when we feel like it, and we just wait for the we give the people that anticipation.
Heather: Oh, yeah. Yeah. We're like we're like virgins that wait till marriage. Tim and Daniel fuck on the first date, not even the end of the date. They're already under the table. And it's just like Applebee's.
Scott: I mean, hell, Tim says hi to me and he puts a finger in my butt.
Heather: Yeah. Gosh, the purity here. Fuck, like Scott and I have kept ourselves very pure.
Scott: 100% pure.
Heather: Very pure. Absolutely. Matt Wood's like, I'm pretty sure others will slut. Like, I don't know where this is coming from. But others constantly harassing me online and bothering me. But 99 episodes. Oh, yeah, 100% I do. Well, we've had 99 episodes where we started off very serious. And horror for dummies. They won. Actually, that's not true. We have done some crossovers with them. But yeah, it's been 99 episodes of Scott and I. And when time taking ourselves very pompous and seriously and slowly as time goes on, the truth has come out.
Scott: Yeah. Eventually, our personalities leaked out and we just said, You know what? Fuck it.
Heather: We're just two little trash pandas going through.
Scott: That just want attention.
Heather: We are. Every time I see the raccoons going through stuff, it really reminds me of you and I finding more movies to watch.
Scott: Yeah, especially you lately, because you are watching everything under the sun where I'm just kind of grabbing what I can when I can.
Heather: You know, I'm a I'm a real podcaster, Scott. That's people like Tim Davis and Rob Humphries of the world. Just need a role model to look up to.
Scott: True.
Heather: Same with the Matt Woods.
Scott: 100 percent.
Heather: Like they all have Kate to look up to, but they need someone else to. You know what I mean?
Scott: They need another. Kate is a strong woman figure. They also need another strong woman figure. You know, yeah, that's it. The queens have to share the crown.
Heather: Absolutely. We're all just passing that crown around. That's how it is. Daniel's like, I want a crown.
Scott: I mean, Daniel is the top queen of them all.
Heather: Honestly, he's the best. He's the best.
Scott: I mean, besides Strong. I mean, how can you dislike Luffy? I mean, he's the one that edits and puts the show together for Dummies of Horror. Without him, he would be lost.
Heather: When I think of horror knowledge, I think of Luffy.
Scott: 100 percent.
Heather: You know what I mean? When I think of quality opinions in horror, I think of him and me, of course.
Scott: Of course. And actually, you know, I just kind of came up with some, this is more just a personal poke at Tim. You know how they have the Tom Cruise does his own stunts thing that they do over there on their show? Heather, did you know Luffy produces, edits, and creates Dummies of Horror? He basically is-
Heather: I have no idea.
Scott: He's basically the Tom Cruise. He does his own stunts.
Heather: Like, he's not the dummy. You know what I mean?
Scott: Exactly.
Heather: He's such a role model. I just wish I could be more like him.
Scott: I do too.
Heather: But we'll just have to settle for being two basic trash bandas. Who dig out the finest that Plex and Tubi have to offer. That's right.
Scott: 100 percent.
Heather: But we'll start it off because we want this to be quick and dirty.
Scott: Just like I like my sex life.
Heather: No, no. You're pure, Scott. Remember, you and Eric are saving yourself.
Scott: Like I hope my sex life will be one day.
Heather: When someone takes your special flower.
Scott: Exactly.
Heather: Right. So we'll jump right into it. We'll jump right into it with a British film.
Scott: Oh boy.
Heather: And Matt Wood's not in it. But he could be. But he's not. It's a pretty right wing film. I don't know. I feel like Matt's probably like it's super right wing. You know what I mean? Like he probably would come over here and be like, you know what? Trump's got it right. But this is called The Apocalypse Box. The Apocalypse Box. Not everyone holds the key to success. Piers Stonesmith, right wing politician, like over the top right wing politician. Keep Britain British is his saying, which is ironic because right now in Britain, there are people that feel that way. Hashtag thanks America for influencing everybody. On the election eve, he gathers six strangers to unlock a wish granting box. Ella, his spin doctor, faces chaos, scandal, and temptation with the mysterious box. It's ironic because Britain invaded everywhere. So I find it hilarious that they now want to keep Britain British. I guess they got nothing else left. They're like, we've lost all our other places.
Scott: Everybody else left us, so might as well do our own thing here.
Heather: This is like an escape room gone bad. Though it's not an escape room. Basically, the plot line is it of the first lady of this politician is not very popular. So he's losing the election because no one likes her. Feel like that's not the problem here, but that's fine. And they all have this like focus group. It's put as a focus group, but it's this random box. It's actually based on my box. That's put into it.
Scott: Oh, boy.
Heather: My box put four stuff. Matt, calm yourself. Gosh, Matt's so unethical and not pure. Not like me. You know what I mean?
Scott: No, 100%. Right?
Heather: Honestly, Matt. But anyway, back to the box. So they put this box, it looks like a cheap, I don't know, one of those like chests that they got at fucking Value Village or like some re-use store. And they have this like old school key, and they're tempted to open it. And when they open it, their wishes come true, but not the wishes they want. You know, there's a cost to the wishes, Scotty.
Scott: Like a be careful what you wish for. Oh boy.
Heather: We've never seen this before. Never seen it in the Wishmaster series. Never seen it in the Wish Upon movie that came out. Very new concept, but yeah. It's basically about a box that grants wishes that are not what you intend, which is basically my box. So good God, this movie is not that great. I really don't recommend anyone watch it. I'll give people credit for putting together a low budget film. Maybe the Sander Keynes of the world could appreciate this. The Jason Grays of the world, again, could appreciate this for what it is. But, you know, it's going to be on Google Play, Amazon and YouTube. And well, it's on Tubi for free. So if you want to watch it for free, it is on Tubi. It's politically heavy, strong political messages. So if that's not your thing, I really recommend not watching this. And a pretty predictable plot. So yeah, I don't know. If any of those things are your thing, check it out on Tubi. Don't check it out anywhere else. No one else has watched it, you know, but me, because I'm a trendsetter. And I'm very, very, very, very fancy. And on a side note, I watched All My Friends Are Dead. I did enjoy it, Scott.
Scott: You watched it. Well, yeah, because I got about to talk about it in the- Oh, shit.
Heather: Sorry, I didn't realize it was on the list.
Scott: Yeah, I put it on the list.
Heather: Wait, sorry. I thought you had watched it before.
Scott: No, that was one of the first ones I watched after we recorded.
Heather: All right. Well, do you want to jump to it now, then, and then I'll go back to the other one.
Scott: Sure. Yeah. So let me bring it up on the letterbox real quick. But yes, All My Friends Are Dead, which is not to be confused with All My Friends Are Dead from like 2021, the Polish film that was freaking awesome.
Heather: That was on Netflix.
Scott: Yep. That was a Netflix one. This one's on Apple TV, Google Play, Amazon Prime, and Fandango. But the synopsis is, actually, let me give you the full title, hashtag AMFAD, All My Friends Are Dead. A group of college friends rent an Airbnb for the biggest music festival of the year, but their weekend of partying quickly takes a turn as the group is murdered, one by one, in correspondence with the seven deadly sins. This is also directed by Marcus Dunstan, who I think did the crap drawing a blank at the moment, the collector, the collection, a lot of good, serious slasher films. And so I was kind of looking forward to it. I'm like, oh, this could be good then. And then this came out and I just I immediately messaged Heather going, this this humor is not for me, but it definitely seems like a Heather humor. I was like, you should watch it. Let me know what you think. And then as it continued, I was getting really annoyed at the first half of this film just because of the ridiculous humor and stuff like that. But then by the last half of the film, it started picking up. Kills started happening. Some pretty gruesome ones here and there. But and ended up having a good time with it. But it's been two weeks, and I've already forgotten a lot of it. So it's sitting around a six out of ten for me, where it's obviously just not that memorable for me.
Heather: Yeah, I think that's a really good way to describe that. Jojo Siwa is in this.
Scott: I forgot about that. Jojo Siwa.
Heather: Siwa. And I feel like that's what this movie is riding on. I don't know. This is a social medium. This is a social media, you know, critique on bullying, critique on life with a really poorly strung together plot line. I would agree the kills are decent. You know, again, I've always been a sucker for these teenage, you know, turn your brain off films. You know, it's no killer book club, but it's I don't know. This seemed really annoying. I kind of called and I feel as though sometimes when you say things like, oh, I called the movie, you know, I get to some point, there's always some plot points. If you've seen the foreign movies, you know, like professional podcasters like Scott and I have seen. Like maybe if you weren't like Tim Davis or Rob Humphrey, you know, because we're so, so worldly and these mangers we've come out with so far in this podcast today. I think you could figure it out, you know, early on you figure out that things aren't what they seem, you know?
Scott: Yeah. And so you started talking about it, brought up Jojo Siwa and it just kind of clicked to me. I'm like, oh, and now I'm remembering other things. And yeah, I just don't know if I'm just getting old and just starting to suffer from memory loss more or what. But yeah, this one movies need to be a little better than this to stick with me nowadays. Like you either got to be absolutely terrible so I can bash on you or you got to be like something stunning that sticks with me. But this was just kind of in the middle, unfortunately.
Heather: Yeah, I agree. You gave it three stars. I think actually you probably meant to give that two and a half because I think it's I think if you watch it again, you might. Well, the kills were good.
Scott: Yeah, I was going to say it's yeah, it's about a five point five out of ten, six out of ten for me.
Heather: Okay, okay.
Scott: It was entertaining and I wouldn't skip over it if I was channel surfing.
Heather: Well, it's available on Apple TV, Google Play, Microsoft Store, YouTube, and Screen Box. So if you have Screen Box and you want to watch something that's easy to watch, it is a 91-minute runtime. So it doesn't really overstay its welcome. This isn't something I think you need to hunt down and watch. I think it has a basic like, don't bully, online shit is bad, message. And me personally, I don't know. I don't think it delivered it well. I think there's other movies this year that delivered that a little bit better than this one did. Anyway, if you're interested, that's where it's available. I would say, Screen Box subscribers, knock your socks off, everyone else. It's okay. So Netflix is coming back into the horror game, and this time they brought some big guns in the name of Glenn Coase in this movie.
Scott: Oh, this movie, okay.
Heather: Yeah, The Deliverance. Every family has its demons. So this is based on a true story of Eneboni Jackson, a struggling single mother fighting her personal demons, moves into her family's new home for a fresh start, but when strange occurrence is inside the home, raises suspicions of child protected services, and threatens to tear the family apart, Ebony soon finds herself locked in a battle for her life and the soul of her children. I don't know how close this was to the actual story. I do think anytime you watch Glenn Close in a movie, her performance is exceptional. Same with Andrea Day, who plays Ebony Jackson. Anthony B. Jerkins is in this. He's actually been in some, he was in Never Let It Go this year as well. So another young man getting some work in the acting field in the horror community, which is great. I think the standout here is the performances. I'll be honest, the people in this perform very well and they carry a really shitty film. When I was watching this, I was like, man, the acting in this is out of this world. Like, I really bought Andrea Day's reaction to shit. The way she delivered some lines were quite powerful, but it suffered through a paint by numbers plot line. And some really, you know, I guess, you know, for the average horror viewer, let's say you were watching Netflix and only Netflix, and you only watched a handful of horror movies a year, and you want something like this, you probably would really enjoy it, because you're not burnt out on the whole demon shit. You're not all burnt out on, like, the power of love in Christ can counter all, right? Like, you're not burnt out on that shit, right? So I think there's something to be said here of why it was released on Netflix. And I do think there's people out there that are going to really enjoy this. But if you're an avid horror fan and you listen to podcasts such as Friday Nightmares as well as Dummies of Horror and Slasher Radio, and the internal... Oh, fuck.
Scott: Turtle Darkness and Not So Spotless Mind.
Heather: Spotless Mind Podcast. You know, you've probably seen this plot line a million times. So I would say at 112 minute runtime, it is long, but the performances are good. But do I think it's something that you need to run out and watch? Not necessarily. It is available in all the Netflix, both in Canada and the United States. So maybe if you have a partner or a friend, or you want something that someone who hasn't watched a lot of horror movies will enjoy, the acting of this is good and the story is fine. But it's just very much like seen it all before kind of thing. Doesn't do anything new, except I will say the acting is quite good.
Scott: Okay. I've heard a lot of people talking about this one and almost say they enjoy the movie until the horror actually happens. Like they almost say this would have been better as they like a serious drama instead of a horror film.
Heather: Yeah, I don't know about that. I think the horror is fine, but it's just predictable.
Scott: Right.
Heather: For four season horror fans.
Scott: Yeah. Obviously, the people I'm listening to talk about it are seasoned horror fans.
Heather: Right. But it is available on the Netflix. It's for some reason. I got to swallow.
Scott: Hold on.
Heather: Tim's here. Sorry.
Scott: Good God.
Heather: Tim's like, no, I'm not. It gets on a plane, flies over. But no, I swallowed a piece of apple. I'm just kidding. I swallowed a piece of apple. And if I choked on it, it would be karma definitely coming back to get me. But yeah, it is available on the Netflix if anyone is interested. The next one, I actually saw it being filmed in Sir Chair Flip here. This was filmed completely at Dundas Conservation in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Completely. Even the creepy cabin. All of it. Because I couldn't go down the path one day, and I was like, when can I go down the path? Well, that's because they were filming this shit. So anyway.
Scott: I remember you messaged me and Brandon when this was filming going, I think I just stumbled across a horror film being made. Like actually legit being made there. I'm like, oh, that's awesome.
Heather: So this was this is called Outcome the Wolves. As now we are the prey at a cabin deep in the wilderness. A weekend of hunting turns into mayhem and a fight for survival when a pack of wolves attack a man, his female best friend and her fiance. That's a nice little general statement. I think this is a pretty nice little survivor film at a 87 minute runtime. It doesn't overstay its welcome. If you like survival in the wilderness, you will probably enjoy this. Okay. You know, this is probably the same dude who wrote Backcountry. Really? Yeah. So, you know, I will say if you like Backcountry, this isn't as good as Backcountry, but I would say it is. It's weird. I would have thought that he would have done this one first and then Backcountry, because I do think Backcountry is a better movie. But that's not how this went. But if you like survival, you like dynamics in friendships, and you want that all packed in nicely to an 87-minute runtime, this movie is for you. I do think it's worth the rental if that's what you're into. You know what I mean? Like, if that's what you like, I would say it's worth the rental. Some very good special effects in this. Not necessarily on-screen kills, but some great special effects, which I really, really appreciate. And if you live in the Hamilton area, you get to see the Dundas Conservation Park. And you can be like, well, I know where everything is, so there's that. That's awesome. Yeah, really, like, I'll be real, that's a big part of this. So Apple TV is where you can find this bad boy. Google Play, Amazon Video, YouTube, and FunDag All. I would say watch this if you like survival films. If you don't, don't bother. But it is only an 87-minute runtime, so it does not outstay its welcome.
Scott: I was like, yeah, this is one that I've been looking at and going, this sounds pretty good.
Heather: Yeah, I think, watch it. It would be good at work watch.
Scott: Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking.
Heather: This one, holy fuck.
Scott: Nicholas Cage.
Heather: Nicholas Cage, baby. Long legs, say your prayers. In pursuit of a serial killer, an FBI agent uncovers a series of occult clues that she must solve to end his terrifying killing spree. Michael Morose in this one, the same with Nicholas Cage. You know, Nick's reviews on this one. We got Matt Wood giving this a four star, Tim giving it a two and a half. Any other podcasters? Paul Stevenson. We all remember Paul is doing four stars here. Brandon Young has it at four and a half. So I think it's all going to very much depend on personal preference and choices. I think Nicholas Cage is an exceptional performer here. He plays the villain in this extremely well. This is very much a... The director is Oz Perkins. This is very much an Oz Perkins film. There's a way Oz Perkins makes his movies. If you've seen Hansel and Gretel and Black Coat's daughter, you know what I'm talking about. There's a filming style he does. There's kind of that slow developing dialogue that he likes to do. The movie is very much paced at slow, cautious steps. And if you like that style, then you will like this film. If you were not an Oz Perkins fan, this may be a struggle for you to get through.
Scott: Okay. And I'm kind of on the fence with him. I can go back and forth.
Heather: Yeah. I respect him a lot as a director. I think that he does things different. And I enjoyed this film. But I did find it dragged out a little bit at 101-minute runtime. But I felt the same way about Hansel and Gretel.
Scott: Yep. Same.
Heather: I thought it was a good movie, but we saw that together. And I did feel it dragged out.
Scott: I'm saying I think the same thing with it was a pretty thing that lives in the house or whatever that one was called.
Heather: He didn't do Black Coat's Daughter, did he?
Scott: Yes, he did.
Heather: He did Black Coat's Daughter.
Scott: That's the one movie of his that I really liked was Black Coat's Daughter. The other ones, I'm kind of...
Heather: Yeah, like this could be hit or miss for you. You know, I will say that Michael Moreau, like fuck, I'll take her any day of the week. I think she's an incredible actress. I think I enjoy her in every movie she's in. I think she plays her role in this well. I really liked her in The Watcher last year. Everyone knows how much I liked her and it follows. I don't know.
Scott: She's also amazing in The Guest. And then, yeah, having her and Nicholas Cage doing Nicholas Cage in the most Nicholas Cage way is what I'm here for. So that's what I'm excited to check out, just to see all that, like see them to interact and then just to see how this is. Because, yeah, I have heard a lot of praise and then I've heard people like Tim who were just like, not for me.
Heather: Yeah, you know, and I think that's really what it comes down to is do you like Oz Perkins or do you not like Oz Perkins? Like, I'm going to be real here. He has a style that he does. It's continuous and sometimes it works for you and sometimes it doesn't be prepared for that, you know, and sign up for it if you're interested. So I can see this being on people's end of the year list easily. I don't know where it's going to fall on my list. I would definitely put in the top 20 movies that I watched of this year. I do think that's high quality. I just don't know if it's going to stick with me as much as other ones have. But very, very good film. I would never criticize anyone for having it up there. And where you can find it right now is for rent. Amazon, Apple TV, Google Play, Microsoft Store. And in Canada, I do believe it's on Cineplex. It is. So it's worth it. And it's the really high rental price right now, the $20. But I do think at a $20 rental cost, it is worth it if you like Ozburkins and if you like this kind of stuff. Again, if you don't, then you may want to skip this bad boy. And the next one is you, my friend.
Scott: Yes. I will say to the audience right now, like, yep, it's been a slow going on the 2024s for me these last couple of weeks. But part of that is because Erica and I binged an entire eight movie franchise, so I could actually watch part eight and count it for 2024. And that is called, the franchise is called The Blackwell Ghost, which is a found footage series. I'm going to talk about my older films here because that's, because it ties in to part eight. Cool. But yeah, we watched parts one through seven before we watched the part eight, obviously, just so we knew what was going on. And these are movies that I've always seen the cover of, but never pulled the trigger on because the cover just kind of looks very generic. And when there is that many sequels, you're starting to go, okay, you're pumping them out fairly quick. This can't be that good. Well, I will say, and it starts off, the first two movies kind of start off as Paranormal Activity style, where this guy wants to be a ghost hunter, goes to like this locally haunted house, stays the weekend and tries to record happenings that are going on. And it's kind of a slow burn, but because there's nothing that really happens. But the main guy who is also the director of these movies is very good on screen to the point where we just kept watching because we're like, okay, we like this guy. And he's like, it feels like you're almost watching like a ghost hunter's reality show as it's going. But I like the one where it's like, oh, what is that? Oh, what is that? It's more serious. But then part three, four, yeah, I think parts three through seven, if I remember correctly, take place in a different house. And parts three and four focus on this house out in Florida, like out in the middle of nowhere, Florida by the swamps. It looks very just innocuous, like a little vacation home, nothing scary about the place, and like this very small modular style home. But it also is haunted. So he's setting up there, and there's more story about his personal life going on, and it's building and building and building. And then you find out more about these ghosts aren't here to scare you, they are here to ask for your help in finding out what happened to them. Because these people were murdered and hid throughout the house, and he starts figuring this out and starts putting these clues together. And then part five, or yeah, I say part of part five, and then six and seven kind of go this more, he starts being stalked by the killer route, and like starts using the ghost like information to kind of help him, and he starts putting pieces together. And by part eight, it kind of culminates into almost a conclusion of that story.
Heather: Okay.
Scott: But there's still a little bit more left to go, and he's already talking about making a part nine. But I will say, watching these back to back to back, like I was, I normally don't binge watch, like I can't do it. I get distracted and start playing on my phone. I was sucked in. Like I was completely enthralled.
Heather: You were here for it.
Scott: Yeah, like every single movie in this franchise is a seven out of ten, straight seven out of ten, like the most like consistent franchise I have ever actually watched. It's quite incredible. And it was all done for super low budget, all done by this guy's by himself for the most part. And like, yeah, it's very fascinating. Like it goes from what you would expect and just kind of veers off in a different direction and goes into like this murder investigation style story. And yeah, quite fascinating. Like I'm very happy we sat down and watched every one of these. And I'm for sure going to watch part night when that comes out. Like I highly recommend this franchise if no one has seen it. I believe the first movie is available for free on Tubi, but I believe the rest have to be rented through Amazon right now. And they're all like $1.99 to $2.99.
Heather: And they're well worth the rentals. Oh, good. Nice. Well, I'll eventually check that out when I'm done carrying the weight of this podcast.
Scott: Well, I mean, we will get a kind of a break before we do Episode 100, because we're only going to be focused on our top of the couple of years, aren't we?
Heather: Well, if we still want to do that, Scott, I don't know. We haven't really talked about it.
Scott: I kind of do.
Heather: You still want to do that? Okay, then we'll do that. I wasn't sure what you wanted to do or not. We haven't really talked. We're just really busy.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah, we are.
Heather: We're real popular fuckers. So the one I'm going to talk about is the most recent shutter drop. As of this recording, who knows what Scott will release this episode? The Demon Disorder. There is no cure. Have you seen it?
Scott: I was curious about this one. This one we watched another started watching another shutter one last night. Didn't finish it, but it was a different one. I think all you need is death.
Heather: Oh, never mind. So it's not the most recent shutter release then.
Scott: Well, no, I think. No, I think this one, the one you're talking about is, I think all you need is death is we found it kind of in the list of movies.
Heather: Got it, got it, got it. The past of three brothers and their deceased father collide when a deep dark family secret is unearthed, leading to the case of revenge from beyond the grave. This is a new take on demon shit. I will say that. And the special practical effects in this are definitely eye candy to to witness. I did enjoy it. I think it's a shutter watch. It's something that you should see. It's sitting at an 86 minute runtime. So you're not going to be spending too much time with this one. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it for a demon film and like demon films. I'll be honest. I feel like it's I kind of I'm alluding to this earlier with some of the demon stuff and the deliverance. Like I'm kind of like over the demons. You know, I think there's some films that do it well.
Scott: But if we're going to do demons, give me shit like demons one and to give me shit like Evil Dead. Give me shit like that. Don't do this whole exorcism bullshit theme. I could care less nowadays.
Heather: Yeah, it's just been overdone, right? But that being said, it is a good film. I would say at an 86 minute runtime again, it doesn't overstay its welcome, great practical effects, a good story. You are invested in the characters and you very much care what happens to everyone. So it is available on AMC plus shutter, all the shutters. And I would say support the shutter and watch it. Because shutter does pick up these unique films. And you know what? If you are a true professional podcaster, you just you do the right thing and you watch these movies. The end of story. A movie that I don't think you need to watch is called The Well. Sorry, sorry, Sander Kane. I know you gave this four stars. A young restored traveler travels to a small village to restore a medieval painting to its former glory. She will put her life in danger due to the curse attached to the painting. Okay, I shouldn't be so harsh. This wasn't a horrible film. Okay, it kind of required, it kind of included two different pot lines in one plot line. And there was some very good torture in this and great special effects. But I found it very long. Matt talks about the story being a mixed bag, and I think that's a really good start. We have the start of a painting and it kind of, you know, and one main character, but it jumps to some other characters, and then it jumps to some other characters, and it does have this really weird ending. It's an odd one. It kind of tries to do everything in one, which some people may love and other people may not. The rankings for this film is 3.5, 3, 4, 4, 3.5, 2.5. I would probably sit around a 3. I think it deserves a 3, 4 creativity, including some different concepts in it, trying to do something a little bit different. But would I be like, oh man, got to watch by the end of the year? No, I would say The Demon Disorder over this one is a smoother, easier, more entertaining watch. So this is available on Apple TV, Google Play, Microsoft Store, YouTube, and Amazon. If you're interested, I don't know. If you like kind of like torture porn mixed with curse shit, mixed with legends of youth and shit, then watch this movie. If that's not stuff you like, then skip it. It's a little convoluted and confusing at times. So yeah, but yeah, I'm really excited to hear what you have to say about this next one.
Scott: Oh boy. All right. So the next one I'm going to talk about is The Crow directed by Rupert Sanders, who I just looked up to see what else he directed and it explains a lot. He directed Snow White and The Huntsman. He also directed Ghost in the Shell. So yeah, makes sense now. Good movies. Decent movies, but we'll get there. This is a 111-minute runtime. Little tagline, true love never dies. Soulmates Erica and Shelley are brutally murdered when the demons of her dark past catch up with them. Given the chance to save his true love by sacrificing himself, Eric sets out to seek merciless revenge on the killers, traversing the worlds of the living and the dead to put the wrong things right. Now, before I get into this, I will say I like the original Crow. It's good. However, it is way, in my opinion, overrated. I, when I was younger, Angsty Scott, that movie spoke to me. Everything about it was dark and gothic and the music was amazing in it. But what makes that movie memorable is Brandon Lee. And unfortunately, he suffered the consequences when making that movie. That movie will go down in history and always be remembered, unfortunately, for part of that reason. But I went into this one not given a shit that they remade the Crow. I could care less that they did because I'm like, okay, I'll give it a shot. It could be good because I'm always willing to give something a shot. But I also went into this thinking I will treat this like one of the Crow sequels where it's not Eric Draven's story, where it's someone else as the Crow. Because you have millions or not millions, but you have tons of Crow comic books that you could have based this off of any characters. And why you decided to go and take the Eric Draven and Shelley story that had already been done and masterfully done and do it again, makes no sense to me. You have so many other options. But now I will get to the actual movie. So I went in trying to not be judgmental, just kind of give it a chance. And while shot beautifully, it's got really good action sequences. It's got some really good gore scenes that made me go, oh shit, okay. However, when you're doing a story about the Crow, the cornerstone of the story is the love, relationship, romance side of this story, because it is a tragic story. It is like the gothic version of Romeo and Juliet, in a way, I would say.
Heather: Yeah, yeah.
Scott: These two die, and because of the pain of them dying and being done wrong, the boyfriend comes back to an act of revenge. However, these two, I love Bill Skarsgård. I think he's a great actor. But him and this, I guess, actress, I don't know, but FKA Twigs is her name. Literally FKA and then Twigs. I don't know who she is, but they were so bland, milquetoast, bad, no chemistry whatsoever. Where in the ones, and here's where I'm comparing it to the original, because I mean, obviously, the crow is about relationship. Where the original didn't give us a lot of Eric and Shelley, didn't give us a whole lot, but what they gave us, you actually felt for Eric Green. In this, they made both characters drug addicts that are meet in rehab, escape from rehab, are together for two days, then fall in love and are saying, I love you and this and that. And there's like, it rushes everything. And I don't feel for these characters because it's like, OK, they're drug addicts that got themselves in these situations in the first. What the fuck are you doing?
Heather: And then it sounds not great.
Scott: No, it's like, I'm just sitting here just kind of like baffled by the story. Like, huh? How is? What? Like, it doesn't make any damn sense why they would go this route. And then, you know, where? Yes, the Crow is supernatural. There is supernatural elements. But the villains in all of the Crow movies were grounded in real life villains, like gang members, mobster type people, you know, people you just didn't fuck with. They had power in the city. Yeah, they must be following the rules of the superhero bullshit that's going on nowadays, because you get a villain that has like demonic powers where he can convince people to do as he says. And he's got like this black magic and shit like that.
Heather: It's like, oh, for fuck's sakes, like, what?
Scott: Why? Why did we what? What are we going? Are we doing a Marvel Universe thing here? What the fuck's going on here?
Heather: That's annoying.
Scott: Yeah. So I if you like the Crow even just a little bit, I and I would say, avoid this at all costs because you are just going to be pissed off or just annoyed by it. And if you didn't care for the original and thought, oh, maybe this will be a good one now, it's still not a good story. It's oh, it's bad. Like, it's straight up bad. Like the fact that it's a love story and there is no chemistry between the two characters to make you feel bad for them. You failed miserably, the movie. The only thing that's good is the action. And the action is only like the last 15 minutes of a two hour long movie.
Heather: Oh, so Trent, you 10 out of 10 don't recommend to you.
Scott: Yeah, this is this one blew my mind, like because I'm like thinking, oh, it can't be that bad. Everyone's just being upset, upsetting spaghetti because it's a remake of one of their loved movies from the 90s. And I'm going, it's probably going to be like, okay, no, it was just bad.
Heather: Like, oh, yeah, it's out of theaters, right? I don't think it's in theaters anymore.
Scott: Yes, I believe it is available direct, like it bombed in theaters.
Heather: Yeah, I can imagine.
Scott: But one other person I wanted to kind of say like his name is Vic Grimes gave a review, and he says, in order for a movie like The Crow to work, the cornerstone has to be a believable love story. Here, the love story is almost nonexistent. I mean, there's a relationship between Eric and Shelley, but there's a complete lack of depth. Every other nonsensical thing that happens just drags it down even further. So yeah, basically what I said summed up. But if you want to watch this train wreck of a movie, you can unfortunately only rent it on Apple TV, Google Play, Amazon Video, Fandango, and Microsoft Store, and I don't even recommend renting it. This was high-budget trash. It was just not good. Like I gave it two stars, and I think I'm being generous.
Heather: Oh, my. Well, it's a hard pass on me. We won't be watching that movie. So the one I'm going to talk about after that is similar in the sense that it's about fighting. It's called Fear of the Night. maggie Q is in this one. You may remember maybe maggie Q from the Insurgents, or what is it? Insurgents? Divergent.
Scott: I recognize the name.
Heather: Yeah. She was also in Fantasy Island. She was also in Death of Me that came out a couple of years ago in 2020 as Christine. So she's been in a couple of horror films over the years. She produced this one, so I think that's why she was in it. Okay. During a bachelet party in secluded California, masked intruders launch a brutal attack, forcing eight women to fight for survival. The tests, the troubled military veteran unite them to defend themselves throughout a harrowing night. You know, if you like invasion movies, like home invasion movies, this is a great, easy watch. The acting is decent, the plotline is decent, the fight scenes are great. You know, it's an average, good time, easy home invasion, hits all the boxes, done movie. Does it do anything overly new? No. Is Make EQ funny and deliver some funny one-liners? Yeah, I did enjoy some of her dialogue, and I wasn't vested enough in it, but it is a basic paint by numbers home invasion film. You like that? Watch it. We're looking at a 92 runtime minute here, so you're not going to waste any time. It is on Hoopla for free. And also, if you subscribe to Paramount or Paramount Plus, or Paramount Apple TV, it is included. So that's great. In terms of renting, Microsoft Office has it for $2.99. Cineplex has it for $3.99. So it's actually at a pretty reasonable level for renting. So I would say renting is worth it too. If you like home invasion movies and if you like Make EQ, I don't know if you got a mad crush on Make EQ, definitely worth it. She looks great in this movie. You know, she's a badass and kicks ass. So I would say if you want something to watch at work, your board's got, throw it on.
Scott: Good to know.
Heather: All right. Smooth.
Scott: It's smooth enough to watch. That's kind of where I'm going nowadays with movies for work, because work has just been too busy to really give my full attention like I used to. So now it's just more easy to easy going movies that are just simple plot lines. Like the next movie we're about to talk about.
Heather: Let's put it this way. The movie with Make EQ is better than this piece of fucking garbage that Blumhouse came out with this year. I didn't think they could do worse than Night Swim. I honestly didn't think it could go worse. This movie is worse than Night Swim.
Scott: Like, yes. So let's just bring the movie in. We can discuss this gem. Fuck. This movie is called Afraid with the AI highlighted in red. Be careful what you let in. Eighty four minute runtime. Curtis Pike and his family are selected to test a new home device, a digital assistant called Aya. Hey, does this plot sound familiar? Because guess what? It's everything you'd expect, and then it gets even stupider. But anyways, Aya observes the family's behaviors and begins to anticipate their needs, and she can and will make sure nothing and no one gets in her family's way. What? Okay, so I'll let you go first.
Heather: First of all, Matt gave the three stars and said the acting was spot on. Matt, what fucking movie were you watching?
Scott: Matt, what? How high were you drunk with you?
Heather: What fucking movie? Like, how much did you drink at the pub before you came home and you watched this? The teenage daughter, I hope, is the only one that has a fucking career after this, because she's the only one that has any acting jobs. I don't know what happened with John Chow here, but like, I think it was the writing maybe for him, the delivery or how he was directed. But it was painful. It was fucking painful. Fuck this movie. Fuck this bullshit with AI. Fuck me, honestly. Rob Humphrey is the only one of the correct star rating here at one and a half. Rob, you're right. One and a half is the best that this movie should get. I have nothing good to say about this film. I usually, besides the teenage daughter, I thought she was fine. The kids, actually, I thought all the kids were good. Props to the fucking children in this film, I thought they did OK. But the mother looked like she was fucking high on ambient the entire time. And like, it made no sense. It made no sense. This movie made no fucking sense. And who was the guy they had? David Demarchian. He's he's he's the one that did the he was he was in Late Night with the Devil. He played the main guy.
Scott: Oh, yeah. Yeah.
Heather: How can he be in that? And then me in this piece of shit. Like you think of him acting in that other one, and then you think of him in this and you're like, how did that even paycheck? Because he's so like it must be the director because he was so bad, too. He sounded like a robot directing when he ever he did his lines. Like, I don't even think this was written by AI because I think AI would have done a better job.
Scott: Oh, honestly, I'm looking up the director's movies. Twilight, New Moon.
Heather: Oh, that explains it.
Scott: About a boy.
Heather: Oh, that's weird.
Scott: The Golden Compass, Operation Finale, Town to Earth with Chris Rock, and A Better Life. Okay. Yeah, that explains a lot.
Heather: You know what? And yeah, I don't know. Do you like this movie to make any sense? I'm so tired of these AI fucking bullshit films that don't make any sense.
Scott: Yeah. So here, I'll give you my thoughts on this because at first, you know, Heather is going off and like just sending me all these messages. Oh my God, you got to watch this. Or you don't want to watch this. This is horrible.
Heather: No, I said you can watch it, but don't make Erica watch it.
Scott: Don't make Erica watch it. And I'm like, I want to make Erica watch it. And Erica goes, hell no, I don't want to watch it. I'm like, OK. So I was like, I'll watch this at work then. And I'm watching it in about halfway. But I'm getting to about the halfway point. I'm going, you know, I don't really see why Heather is so upset at this movie. It's like it's nothing great. It's OK. It's your basic bitch AI gone wrong, which, you know, it's happening so much now that we got, we created a category for our awards at the end of the year. But I'm like, yeah, it's not terrible. The writing is not, you know, writing whatever. And then the halfway point happens. And this movie goes, you know what? This very basic bitch plot script that we have just threw it on the ground and took a giant piss all over it and just said, we're going to create something different and cool and unique. And I don't know if it was drugs or alcohol like Matt was on while he was watching this movie.
Heather: I want whatever Matt had watching this film.
Scott: But I want whatever the director had making this movie, because the fucking last half of this movie is so fucking stupid.
Heather: Or the ending wasn't the ending so fucking condescending and just so like talking about AI like it's 1999.
Scott: Yeah, like talking about it, like it's a living creature that we got to treat well in this. Like, what is going the fuck on with this? And it's I don't understand what the message was supposed to be. If there was supposed to be a message, I don't understand why the plot went the way it did during the half act and how like it just like was kind of sort of like mind controlling people in a way or manipulating people. For fuck's sakes, people, this is AI. It's OK. You can run away from it. You can destroy it.
Heather: It's or I don't know, unplug it.
Scott: Yeah, it just movie made no sense. The plot made no sense.
Heather: What if they just left it unplugged, like draining the pool? So I want to come out with movies where we're all like, right? I think I found some solutions.
Scott: They unplug it once, but then someone else plugs it back in. But that's not that's all there was to it. It just unplug it and destroy them thing. Just smash it. Oh, no. Like I don't I thought like I'm like, there's no way this movie is as bad as nice one. Like Heather was saying. And yeah, it's it's as bad or worse. I mean, it's right up there with the imaginary. Oh, God.
Heather: Imagination. I think we should do an award of which is the worst Blumhouse film and worst character from a Blumhouse movie this year, because all three of them are in good contention for garbage.
Scott: Yeah, it's like they were making a, they were about to play some football, and they went to punt the ball to make that field goal, and they fucking scored. They scored high on the terrible movies this year, because good fucking God.
Heather: I can't even give what I hate the most about this movie, because it's a spoiler. But I'll just say that the reasoning was stupid, why everything was happening, and then the conclusion was even dumber. And it was dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. It was just dumb, poorly written, poorly put together, it made no sense, it was so silly. And it was just, you know, the one thing I will say is that AI does get smarter, and it does learn from people like it does. It's been programmed to learn what you need and react to it. That's that's not wrong. That's the only thing that's fucking movie got right. It's the only thing because I'm on an AI committee at work, and we're constantly dealing with shit about like students using AI to cheat. And now you can use AI and be like, okay, I make it look like AI didn't write my paper. And it will. It's learned how to make it sound better, right? So it is learning, but that still is an algorithm. It's not like, I don't know, this whole concept that we can teach them to feel was cool in iRobot 20 years ago. It's not fucking cool now.
Scott: It's not Skynet.
Heather: Yes.
Scott: Like, obviously, like, movie, 1980s, 1990s, Terminator, Terminator 2. Nailed what happens when AI, you know, gets sentience and starts, you know, taking over. We're not there yet. And the way these movies are trying to make it sound will never be there. The AI is too fucking dumb at this point. Just stop it.
Heather: Stop it, Plum House. Please get back to making decent films. Anyway, this is available on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Microsoft Store, Cineplex, and famganggo. If for some reason you want to torture yourself, or you're like Matt, and you were doing some really good fucking drugs when you watched this film. I want Tim Davis to watch this, and I feel like he will agree with us that it's not a good movie.
Scott: No, no, though, he liked Imaginary.
Heather: Imaginationland, Imaginationland. Well, we're going to move on to Cuckoo, because that's how this movie made me feel. I'm actually, this is the kid, this is me after watching the AI film. This movie was based on me.
Scott: All right.
Heather: Have you seen it?
Scott: Yes, we finished it last night.
Heather: Do you like it?
Scott: Yes? Question mark.
Heather: It's hard to follow, huh?
Scott: It was it's strange. It definitely has an art house, art housiness to it.
Heather: It's German. Does that not sum everything up for you?
Scott: Yeah, it's by the director that did Lutz or Lulz or whatever it was on Shudder a few years back. I never watched it, but I heard that that was a movie. That was very artsy.
Heather: Yeah. I'll just read this enough quickly. Fear it calls after reluctantly moving to the German Alps with their father and his new family. Gretchen, talk about a more German movie named Gretchen, discovers that their new town hides in her secrets as she's plagued by strange noises, frightening visions of a woman pursuing her. I know people have written on the reviews here that this is considered elevated horror with a slasher element to it, I guess. I think that's a good description. I don't know. This is unreliable narration at parts too. Like you don't really know what's real and what's not real, I found.
Scott: Yeah. And there's some weird time loop stuff that's never explained going on. Yeah.
Heather: Yeah.
Scott: That really, really, that part really confused me, and I was hoping that somehow that would get explained, but it doesn't. And just, I mean, I will say performances out of this world, filmmaking out of this world. It's the editing amazing, and there are some legit creepy fucking moments in this, but it's the kind of confusing story. Like, I just don't, I'm not 100% sure. I think it was kind of like a mad scientist kind of thing going on with playing God in a way. And I will say Dan Stevens definitely plays a good, creepy son of a bitch when he wants to. And I hated the Gretchen's parents or father in step, the way they treated her after everything that's happened with her mother and how she's handling it and the way they treat her and ignore her and all this shit. I will say there is a lot of good in this to the point where I will definitely recommend it.
Heather: I think that's a good description.
Scott: Yeah, but I think going to this having to pay full attention and expecting to either get it or not get all the answers you want. It could go either way.
Heather: Yes.
Scott: For me, I think I missed something.
Heather: I enjoyed the ending a lot. I enjoyed the unreliable narration of the story and not sure what's real and what's not real. But it is their art house. It is like someone compared it to The Shining. I think that's an interesting comparison. Yeah. I don't know. I would say it's worth watching, and I think it could go either way for you. I think out of the movies we talked about today, this is one where I really can't say who will like it, who will not. But I will say it's high quality.
Scott: Yeah. And I was going to say, even, Tim, if you're listening, I would say check this out just because it should be one that us horror podcasters at least watch for the year. And because I'm not sure where you will land on this. Luffy, I think would probably like it more, but I'm not 100% sure either. I would be curious to see Rob's thoughts.
Heather: Well, Rob, I think he has on here. Yeah, he gave it three stars.
Scott: Oh, okay.
Heather: So he's middle of the road. Which is funny. That's how I feel about Rob. So it's kind of fitting. But it's available on Apple TV, Amazon, Cineplex, Mystica, Softstore, and Fandango. If you are interested, I think we've given it as much as a review as we can without spoiling anything. I don't know. Check it out.
Scott: Yeah, because I'd say this is at least sitting at a 7 or a 7.5 out of 10 for me.
Heather: Right.
Scott: Like I think it's damn. I think it's good, well made, and I can't argue it. Just something was missing with the story, the way it was told, I think, for me.
Heather: I agree. This next one is Bad Fish, and it should just be called Bad Movie. You know who picked this up? Uncorked.
Scott: There we go.
Heather: There we go.
Scott: So Uncorked is kind of coming back with a vengeance.
Heather: Uncorked. Even Mickey's barking about it. So this fish is bad is the tagline.
Scott: For fuck's sake.
Heather: When a marine biologist investigates mysterious deadly attacks on fishermen in Oregon, in the Oregon coastal town, Oregon, Oregon, coastal town? Anyway, he discovers the culprit is a okay, I can't give that away. So discovers who the culprit is and has to try to figure it out. This movie is dumb. The acting is fucking dreadful. I found out when I looked at the crew, it was the same guy who directed, produced, and wrote it. So...
Scott: I got to give respect to for doing something like that.
Heather: But the writing is so painful. And there's an actor in this that's just so bad. I think there's a lot of first time actors and actresses in this film. And it is really, really painful to watch them interact with each other. Mark Snyder is in this, and I found him really painful. He was in Ghostbusters 2 as the arguing couple. He was in Super Van, Supernatural, Son of the Pink Panther. I had a... like, he's a background actor, and I can kind of see why. You know, he probably shouldn't be in a lead role ever again. It's not even streaming anywhere yet, and it's probably gonna not end. If this ends up on 2, be sure, but the payoff's not worth it. It took me three times to go back to it to finish it, and it's only 85 minutes.
Scott: Wow. Yeah. No.
Heather: So this is a hard pass. It is not what you think it will be. I thought it would be like ecological horror. It's not. It's just like someone's school project that is really hard to say, bro. So it's bad fish, and 10 out of 10 don't recommend.
Scott: Bad.
Heather: Bad fish. But one that I do recommend, but I will say with the caveat that it's heavy.
Scott: Heavy like my duck?
Heather: Yeah. It's funny you should say that because there's a lot of that in this.
Scott: Oh.
Heather: Yeah. There's a lot of, but not consensual.
Scott: Yeah.
Heather: I think just the Epstein's Island shit, only in a movie.
Scott: I take it back.
Heather: Yeah. Oh, awkward. It's blank twice. Are you having a good time? With tech billionaire Slater King, which is ironic because Christian Slater's in this, and I think it's funny that Slater King is the name of it, meets cocktail waitress Frida at his fundraising gala. He invites her to join him and his friends on a dream vacation on a private island. But despite the epic setting, beautiful people, ever-flowing champagne and late-night dance parties, Frida can't help but sense that there's something sinister hiding behind the island's lush facade. I will say Tatum Channing is phenomenal in this. He plays, oh, sorry, Channing Tatum is very good in this. He plays a questionable character quite well. Naomi Arkley is the female in this, and she was also portrayed Whitney Houston earlier this year. So she's a very good actress as well. A girl from that was in Arrested Development is in this as well. There's some really well-known actors and actresses that are in this. Christian Slater is in this. Hailey Joel Osment is in this. Gina Davis is in this. So we're looking at a really star-studded cast. It's heavy. I'm going to tell everybody this now. It's really kind of exposing what very rich people do that we know has happened, unfortunately, now, through things that have been revealed. And I think they're trying to be like, yeah, this shit happens and this is what it is. It's not, it's definitely a movie that fits into the Me Too movement, but the outcome is not very like typical of those other films. It's more of trying to survive a situation you're in. And I will say the decisions that are made are smart. This is a movie that Erica would say, besides the initial getting there, but let's be real, if a fucking rich billionaire, like if you were somewhere and I don't know, let's try to think, Mark Cuban, who seems like the nice guy on Sharp Tank, invited you to some fucking island with him and all his friends, and it's going to be a big party, and you're caught up in them. I could see someone going. I would love to hear people be like, oh no, I would never go fucking do that. Yeah, more than likely you fucking would. If given the chance to do this shit and how this builds up, I think if you can understand why someone would get into this situation, especially when you got to remember how rich this person is, and the time that they provide at where the event where they originally meet these people and how it's set up, it looks like a big party. Who wouldn't want to go, right?
Scott: Introverts.
Heather: Introverts, but like, you know what I mean? Like, and I like to think I'm pretty smart too, but you know what? I think in that situation, if I was infatuated with somebody and the champagne was flowing and like, I would love to be like, oh, I'm better than that. But like, I think a lot of people would go. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that, right? There's a reason why people have entourage, like Drake and The Weeknd and all those people, right? So it's a good film. I definitely think people should watch it this year. Yeah, there's a message to it, but like, I don't think the message is anything like in your face. I think it's stuff you all know about and it's fucking well done. Like, it's a good blend of some other movies that have come out over the years. It is available on Amazon, Apple TV, Microsoft Store, and Cineplex in Canada. And I recommend any rental price. I just want to say that it's dark and that, you know, they have a trigger warning at the beginning. And this is a movie where I'm glad they had that. I think there's enough reflective experiences that occur in this film that could be upsetting for somebody.
Scott: And I know our good friend Greg Wooten was talking about this on our page and said, yeah, he's like, most people would probably consider this thriller. He's like, but the circumstances say this is a horror. He's like, I recommend you guys check it out.
Heather: I would definitely consider it a horror film, for sure, for sure. Now, I'm excited to hear what you thought of this one.
Scott: Yeah, so this one, I'm just going to be quick because you already talked about it. So this one is We Are Zombies. Heather talked about it and recommended it. And she wanted to get my thoughts. So I'm sorry, Heather. This was not for me. Seriously? Yeah, I tried. I didn't find it funny. Like the humor didn't work for me in this.
Heather: You're lying.
Scott: No, I'm 100 percent serious. Like, oh, this is like, how did you find this funny? Yeah, I think it's I think you gave me almost too high expectations.
Heather: Are you telling me that when they showed up to pick up the grandpa zombie, you did not find that shit funny?
Scott: No.
Heather: What the fucking wrong with you? Are you a I?
Scott: Yes. Hi there. I'm Smoke Show. How can I help you?
Heather: I don't know, man. I thought this was hilarious. Sorry. I was going to say like that.
Scott: And I also was I had high hopes because you were saying like this was for you as funny as Shaun of the Dead.
Heather: And oh, yeah.
Scott: And then also when you told me the director was the same guy that summer of 84 and Turbo Kid and all that stuff. I'm going, fuck it. OK, I am on board. But yeah, it just did not work for me. I tried so hard to give this one a chance and I just could not like.
Heather: Well, Matt gave it four stars. So fuck you, Scott.
Scott: But he also gave Afraid three stars. Oh, you know, we're bad is questionable at this moment.
Heather: I loved it. I thought it was.
Scott: Yeah, I was going to say, like, I I didn't hate my time with it or anything like that. But I just did not work for me. Unfortunately, I just wanted to at least let you know, I tried. I gave it a shot. I didn't hate it. It just the other cavity didn't work for me.
Heather: And this, you know, you could have kept that to your fucking self and it would have been just fine.
Scott: Well, you know, I know you always want to hear each other's thought. We like to hear each other.
Heather: I only want to hear your thoughts if they agree with what I think. If they don't agree with what I think, but I don't care. But four and a half years of this, Scott, don't you know this by now?
Scott: But I love to just kind of burst the bubble once in a while.
Heather: Oh, man, whatever. Scott's fucking wrong. Listen to Matt Wood tonight. Not about AI, not about afraid. But you can listen to Matt Wood and I about this. We are the zombies.
Scott: I think for me, when it comes to horror comedies, it's almost got to be the slapsticky, over the top, gore comedy.
Heather: But this was over the top and it was slapsticky.
Scott: But it was not gore slapsticky. Like, I'm talking.
Heather: Did you not watch a scene where someone explodes basically?
Scott: Yeah, the only part I kind of liked was that weird zombie Frankenstein amalgamation thing at the end. I thought that was really cool. Like, the effects were cool. Okay, okay. But yeah, just the humor didn't work for me, where I think maybe Shaun of the Dead did because it's that British humor.
Heather: But no, I've been to Britain, you haven't. You don't know any more British humor. You're American.
Scott: I love Bonnie Python. I know dry humor.
Heather: You know what? That's fine. You're totally allowed to your opinion, Scott.
Scott: Yeah, but I know my opinion can be wrong, but.
Heather: No, there's no wrong. If you didn't find it funny, you didn't find it funny, right? Everyone's different and that's okay. You know, one person's trash, we're just two little trash pandas just trying to get through. So from one trash panda to another, I accept that you didn't like my trash and I take my trash back to my little raccoon hole and I'll save it for myself. So, but I would save for wintertime, right? I don't know, maybe I'll watch it again later. But it isn't that funny, but I think I will think it's funny.
Scott: No, I say, and like I say, you and I definitely both have different types of sense of humor.
Heather: Oh, yeah. Yeah. And you're different what they like, right? It's all good in the hood.
Scott: Comedy is very subjective.
Heather: Unless you're Tim Davis and you don't agree with us and that's different. We have some common enemies. What is Rob Humphrey? Not Tim as much as the hump.
Scott: That's true.
Heather: That's what we really need to know. If the hump finds it funny, then-
Scott: Well, if he finds it funny, I don't know because he also enjoys a lot of strange movies that we don't.
Heather: Well, we are strange folks, aren't we? We are. Well, the last one I'm going to talk about is don't turn out the lights. Also, don't watch this movie. Reunited for an un-ferbidical weekend, a group of high school friends take a break from their separate lives at college and to travel by RV to a musical festival. They're exciting winter weekend plans quickly and ravel as they find themselves fighting to survive each other in the unknown. I don't know what the fuck's going on with this movie. So this movie is basically about an RV that breaks down, and there's something haunting the RV or around it or a creature. I don't know. You never really find out what's going on. But there's something, the reason why they're stuck in the RV in the middle of nowhere. So this is very much stranded in the middle of nowhere survival without a budget. So they do a lot for a non-budgeted film. I will give them that. They do a lot for a non-budgeted film. The problem with this film, it is a 109-minute runtime. And I really wish they would start making films that are a 109-minute runtime if they don't feel like they have enough in it to make it that long and entertaining, right? The characters in this are affable enough, they're relatable. You could see these people being friends. The ending is kind of like, I don't know, it followed every horror cliche in the book. So I would say props to the people who made this. Let's see what the crew says here. Yeah, same director, writer, producer. Hey, man, Andy Flickman, good for you. He also was involved in directing She's the Man, Gameplan 2, Paul Barrett, Mall Cop 2, You Again, The Heathers, The Musical. I don't know, he's directed some other stuff. He's also worked with Kevin James a lot. I don't know, maybe he's really close with Kevin James. I think this is a big pass. I would say you won't regret if you skip this movie. And for some reason, if you want to watch it, it is on Apple, the Apple Store, Google Play, YouTube. I don't know if you really want to support indie horror. Not Scott, though, because Scott doesn't like movies. So he doesn't want to watch it anymore.
Scott: I'm too busy for that bullshit.
Heather: He's too popular. So I watched a movie called, and I forget how I saw this. I feel like I was cruising around on Facebook. And I saw it be suggested somewhere on a list, and it's called Burning Bright. And it's a 2010 film by Carlos Brooks, and it's his feeding your frenzy. After her lousy stepfather steals her savings to buy a vicious tiger. Kelly loses all hope of going to college, but Kelly's situation worsens when a hurricane leaves her and her autistic nonverbal brother boarded up in a house with a man-eating beast. This Edge of Your Seat thriller follows the gutsy heroine and her younger sibling as they struggle to outwit the tiger and survive. I enjoyed this for what it was. First off, Meatloaf's in it. Rest in peace, Meatloaf. He sells the tiger at the beginning. Wasn't overly thrilled about the tiger being in a cage. Didn't love that. But, you know, I don't know. I'm assuming that this followed all the animal bylaws that are in place because it was made in the United States. And obviously, there's a CG tiger for a big part of it. It was entertaining. I don't know. If you like movies where, like, an animal breaks into a house and you need to fucking survive, it's good. It's only an 89 minute runtime and it is on the Tubi.
Scott: Oh, okay. Nice.
Heather: Right? I like tigers.
Scott: They're good kitties.
Heather: They're good kitties. So, Carl Brooks has done this and some other Spanish films, and that is it. So, I will say that I enjoyed it for what it was. Tim Davis gave it four and a half stars. Makes sense. That definitely sounds like something that he would like. I will say, for a tiger in the house and shit gone wrong, it's an entertaining thing. It's on the Tubi if anyone is interested.
Scott: All right. I'll check that out. And yeah, like I said, with my older watches, I just put on the Blackwell Ghosts. So, I already talked about my whole entire franchise dive there when I talked about Part A.
Heather: Is there any other movies you need to squash for me that you really like? Oh, and I like Scream 3.
Scott: Yeah, Heather, I'm sorry, but Gremlins and Gremlins 2 are top tier. I'm sorry to tell you this.
Heather: You know what? A lot of people do. Like, I'm seeing the Gremlins shit come out more and more now in stores and stuff.
Scott: Oh, yeah.
Heather: There's a lot of nerds like you who are under the belief that those are good films. So it's good.
Scott: And I went nuts on Gremlins merchandise as I showed you.
Heather: Oh, yeah, it was pretty good, actually. You got some good shit. Yeah. So I've been reading, too, but Scott's read a horror book, so I'll let him go first. Mine's horror, but it's horror of society.
Scott: Ah, well, that is totally your style. Right.
Heather: That is my style.
Scott: Or like, I want something not real.
Heather: Yeah, I like when they slashy slashy, but it's make believe.
Scott: Exactly. So I'm still this is going to probably be the last book I talk about from the indie brawl that was I was talking about the last episode, where that's just like the whole NBA brackets going against all these indie authors going against each other, because they are actually doing finishing up the semifinals now. And I have to say, two that I have talked about on this show that I really fucking loved are, well, one for sure is in the finals, and the other one is battling it out right now and so far in the lead. And the one that is in finals right now is Beta, A Technological Nightmare, which was the AI house gone wrong one. That was a fucking amazing story. And then the other one is the one I just talked about last episode in The Tall Trees, where the perspective of the four or six year old girl. And yeah, that one is battling it out right now and is in the lead to make it into the finals. If both those make it into the finals, I'm going to cry because I have no idea who I will vote for. But anyways, so one of the ones that did make it to the quarter finals is an author named John Cohn. He did a book called Slash Tag. And what this story is about is, it's a story about this multi-media social media slash multimedia thing. Just this giant conglomerate company that owns all social media, all TV stuff like this. They are doing a reality show in a haunted house, or quote-unquote haunted house. And they get different celebrities from around the different media sites to join in on this. So they get like a celebrity chef, they get an actor, they get a reality star actress, they get social media influencer, social media prankster, a few others, and put them all in this house together. And it's basically like a giant escape room, where you got to figure out the different puzzles and kind of work together to decipher the mystery that's going on. However, and it's being live broadcast. But however, no one knows that what is going on in this house is actually real. Dun dun dun.
Heather: Interesting.
Scott: A simple plot that we've heard before. But what makes this one really good is all the characters are super engaging, it's well written, it's creepy, it's fucked up. The story goes a lot of different twists and turns that I didn't see coming. And what makes this even better? Because it was just a very good read, like all the way through, I was just invested. And I would love to see more stories in this world from this author. But what makes this even more fucking impressive is not only did he write this book that I thought was really fucking good, he also created a website for Slash Tag that is basically like the social media conglomerate's website saying, here is the history of the haunted house. Here are the people we got to join our escape room and their history, like giving bios of each person. Like you can expect so and so to be doing this and this and this. And then not only is there all this detailed backstory information that he put on a website, he also created a companion podcast that has six episodes. And it's basically like you're two generic bro style podcasters that are watching the episodes of Slash Tag happen and discussing, oh, did you see how so and so got taken out? Who do you think is going to be next? And oh, we're going to have an interview with the social media conglomerate's owner and chief of the company and get their details. Oh, we're going to have an interview with one of the actors that didn't make it through the show. And like, it's just adding more realism to this world that he built. And there's also a board game called Grindhouse that is based off of Slash Tag that he also made. I love it. And apparently there's also what he's called what is called an interactive interactive book called Can You Escape Slash Tag or something like that that I want to read. So it makes me wonder if it's like a choose your own adventure in the world of Slash Tag. But like this guy has gone all out to make this just like this elaborate, breathable, realistic world and makes it so interactive. It is like for an indie author, I give this guy fucking props. He did amazing with this.
Heather: It's amazing.
Scott: And yeah, the book itself, like I absolutely love the book. And then listening to the podcast after just added more elements to the book, which has made it even better. So I say like if you guys are fascinated, interested in indie authors, indie horror, definitely check out his book. It's Slash Tag by John Cohn or John Cohn. It's J-O-N and then the last name is C-O-H-N. And I'm not exactly sure how to pronounce the last name, but definitely check that out. And then if you do read that book, definitely check out the website and the podcast afterwards, because I think it's also labeled in the book where you can find that stuff at the end. But I highly recommend.
Heather: Nice. I just am reading The Deadly Rise of Anti-Science by Peter Hotz. It's a problem, particularly in America.
Scott: Shock.
Heather: It's a big problem. We have a lot of horror movies to come out about COVID and people not doing vaccines. And there's times where I'm like, oh, fuck, I get it. But if people don't get vaccinated, it does make other people at risk of things like polio. And when we start to see rises of diseases because a group of individuals have decided to publish misinformation, and for the record, doing your own research is not watching a YouTube video. Doing your own research is reading journal articles that have been evaluated by other scientists' peers. And if you really want, going into a lab and doing your own Bunsen burner research, which most people are not going to be able to fucking do because they don't have access. So you need to read reputable resources because there are resources that will state the effectiveness of vaccines and talk about how they've been processed and all that other kind of stuff. But to think that you watch a YouTube video from Joe Rogan telling you that horse tranquilizers are a solution to something, and you call that your own research, that is not your own research, that is watching a YouTube video.
Scott: So what else is research that you mimicked?
Heather: And it's not even real research. There's no scientific journal where horse tranquilizer is a treatment for fucking COVID. Like, it's just, it's, you know, there's one thing. If you just want to say, I don't believe in getting vaccinated because I don't want medicine in my body, I would have way more respect for that than I did my own research. You didn't do your own research. You didn't read like 90 scientific journals. You didn't go to a university and do lab work. You didn't do your own research.
Scott: Heather, I am part of the generation that, you know, the too long didn't read generation. And I'm not going to sit there and read no smarty pants book. I am going to listen to Alex Jones on his podcast. Tell me about how the water has turned the frogs gay.
Heather: Can you believe that?
Scott: The water turned the frogs gay.
Heather: I got a bunch of homo frogs just hopping around everywhere.
Scott: What's next?
Heather: Gay frogs.
Scott: Next, it's going to slowly turn us gay. Can you believe this shit?
Heather: Oh, man. He's like, I hope it turns me gay. I've been drinking a lot of the water so far.
Scott: I'm drinking it right straight from the teeth.
Heather: He's like, I still like cock. I don't understand what's wrong with me. I chained my water source and everything. Yeah, this book is interesting because, yes, it's a reflection on the rise of people not wanting to believe scientific tested stuff, but also just like it kind of pulls into horror because we do have a rise of this in our horror films. And there's a reason why. It's because there are people out there who, and again, if you choose not to be vaccinated or you choose not to have a medical treatment, that is your choice, but it does affect possibly other people around you, and you're not doing your own research unless you are reading multiple scientific journals, which the average person does not have access to, unless you go to a library or a university library, and you, or you, or you're a scientist doing your own scientist research. That's it. And you, and you've gone to school and you've learned how to do all that. And I just wish people would stop saying, doing my own research. I'm so fucking tired of it. It's not like looking for a fucking restaurant you want to go eat the best tacos at, okay? You cannot find this shit on Google. All right? Like, you have to go to reliable sources. Anyway. Thank you to anti-vaxxers because you're creating lots of great horror movies for us to watch that may become reality. Yay.
Scott: Right?
Heather: Yay. So I will be away for a couple of weeks. I am going back to England to see friends, and I am going to Belfast, Ireland as well. So I'll be gone for a little bit, and Scott's not upset about it at all. He doesn't want to hear about my trip, so I don't share anything.
Scott: Oh, God. No, I want to know all about this trip.
Heather: No, he doesn't. He's a big meanie, and he doesn't like my horror movies I like, and then makes fun of me for traveling. So just kidding.
Scott: Oh, stop talking about it already.
Heather: Oh, my God.
Scott: God, this is terrible.
Heather: And Phil's phone shut her fucking mouth.
Scott: We're not going to make it to Episode 100. That's it.
Heather: Matt, we're about to make our own horror movie. I hope you've made sure to, like, she came over. She knew where he was. It's just me being like, Ma-ha! Like, trying to get a good side.
Scott: Matt, why did you, like, afraid? Do you have any of those drugs you were on when you watched it?
Heather: But, yeah, poor Matt. I feel like every time I go to England, he feels like every, like, super stalker movie is going to happen to him. You know what I mean? Like, he's going to have to watch that one about Make EQ and figure out how he's going to defend himself in the house all night, right?
Scott: And when he hears this, he's going to be like, oh, bloody hell.
Heather: Oh, don't worry. This will be after I've already come back, Matt, by the time this gets edited and released. Don't worry. So Scott and I, for Episode 100, are going to go through and we're going to select. How many did we decide? 50?
Scott: We were talking like top 30 of the- Since we started, like basically of the years 2020 to 2024 of, well, should we add 24 in there or just leave that for our end of the year show stuff?
Heather: I don't know. We can talk about it later. I don't know. I don't think it really matters, but we can talk about it later. But yeah, we'll be talking about our favorite movies. That have come and passed and reliving them.
Scott: And since we've started recording, technically, since we started back in the day.
Heather: So looking forward to that, we hope everyone can join us for that when that comes out in 2026. It will be fabulous.
Scott: Yeah, and it'll give me plenty because it'll give me plenty of time to get caught up and rewatch.
Heather: Oh my God. For the love of God, can you not take fucking three months to get ready for this? Can we at least do it within a reasonable time for when I come home?
Scott: You know, I want a year to edit it. So let's at least push it back to January 2025. Okay.
Heather: All right. Yeah, it will be before that, everybody. Don't worry. We need to hit 100 by the end of this fucking year. And we're right there. We're so close.
Scott: No, but I will be focusing on it because that's why I say I'm like, oh, we don't have to really worry about 2024 is too much while you are away because the next episode is going to mainly be focusing on those top 30 movies. So I was like, yeah, give me time to rewatch some of these.
Heather: Yeah, we can have you to catch up on some 2024 is too and become a premium podcaster. So here at Friday Nightmares, we have 99 problems, but our own Patreon ain't one, but we are part of the Legion Podcasts Network and part of their Patreon channel. So please, if you have a chance to support them in any shape or way, you support Scotty and I and the other amazing podcasters that are there. And that's it. So thank you so much for listening to the podcast today. Oh, Scott's interrupted me. Scott, do you need? Okay, fine. Scott, is there something you want to tell everybody?
Scott: What are you waiting for? Join us, please. We're lonely over here. Join us, won't you? Okay, that's all I needed.
Heather: You actually looked like, is it Chating Tatum? Chating Tatum? Yeah, sorry. I'm like, right there from Don't Blink.
Scott: Oh, yeah?
Heather: Yeah. That was creepy. We will be back again in a couple of weeks. Scott will someday get this out. Hopefully, you hear this while I'm away living my best life drinking. Thank you as always for your support and being here for 99 episodes. Thank you to Tim and Daniel and Rob, who I harass and Scott does to every single episode. We love your fluffy bun buns. And to be honest, I don't know if we'd be the podcasters we are today, premium professional podcasters without your support and role modeling. Big shout out to Sandra Cain, Jason Gray, Craig Wooten, Philip Ray, Dave Z if he still listens. Brandon Orlick, I don't know if he doesn't listen, but Lance Lanford.
Scott: Matt and Kate.
Heather: Matt and Kate. Appreciate all of you.
Scott: Peter, everybody that listens.
Heather: Yeah, everyone that listens and shown us love over the years. We really do appreciate it. Thanks for coming. Thanks for sticking around with us.
Scott: Did we say Rob?
Heather: Yeah, I said Rob.
Scott: Okay, I want to make sure because I know Rob would be like, you guys didn't mention me at the end.
Heather: Here's the thing, Rob doesn't invite us onto his podcast, so that would serve him right.
Scott: But we're also in bed by time he records from what it sounds like.
Heather: Yeah, we are in bed by the time he records. But anyhow, do you have anything to say to the good people, Scotty?
Scott: Oh, just thank you, as always, for listening and keeping us honest and keeping it real with us. And crazy to think that we're running into Episode 100 soon. Holy shit. So yeah, thank you all so much for the support and the love and the shit talking. Appreciate it all. And until next time, kitties, unpleasant dreams. See ya.