Maco Jeleniewski: Hey there. You're listening to your host produced in collaboration with Impact 89 fm. Your host is an episodic audio drama surrounding a fictional podcast.
Annalise Becker: Host. There we are and only 3 minutes behind schedule. Not bad at all. Welcome back to the Tell Me A Story podcast. That's at tell me a story pod on socials. The podcast where we talk and you listen. I'm your host Annalise Becker with
Charlie Shepard: with I go first? I didn't know that was me. I'm Charlie Shepherd.
Sawyer Dalton: Sawyer Dalton.
Annalise Becker: We'll get it eventually. It's only week 2. It's me, then you, then Sawyer, because, you know, alphabetical order.
Charlie Shepard: Isn't it typically alphabetical order by last name? So it'd be Sawyer then me.
Annalise Becker: That's how they do it in grade school. We're above those conventions.
Charlie Shepard: But we're not above alphabetical order, clearly.
Annalise Becker: Alphabetical order is highly professional. If it was random, people would think that I value one of you more than the other and assume I play favorites.
Sawyer Dalton: I really doubt that.
Annalise Becker: Well, there's gotta be a reason for everything.
Charlie Shepard: Jeez. It's not like you need an alibi for introducing me first.
Annalise Becker: Whatever. Today's topic is foods we don't like. I felt like everyone and their mom talks about their favorite foods, but people really get passionate about things they don't like. I wanna draw the fire out of you 2. You can talk about gross food combinations, foods you've had a bad experience with, whatever. Go ham.
Charlie Shepard: Speaking of ham, have you guys seen those Jell O abominations from the forties? Or maybe it was the fifties. Housewives threw whatever leftovers they had into a Jell O mold, and every time I see a picture of 1, I die a little inside. They called them savory jellos or something like that. I already hate jello, but I feel like adding the ham and carrots to it is is blasphemy.
Annalise Becker: Yeah. That's the fiery burning hatred I was looking for.
Charlie Shepard: Maybe it's a texture thing, or, like, the Jell O is so clear that you can see everything. It's like a window into a world I wasn't meant to see, a world full of raw ham and cut up olives topped with vanilla frosting.
Sawyer Dalton: Sweet and savory combos are fantastic when done right though. Or are you one of the crazy people that thinks dipping your fries in a shake is gross?
Charlie Shepard: Depends. Which one makes you madder?
Sawyer Dalton: It's more mad, Charlie.
Annalise Becker: One choice crazy. I think it's clear which side Sawyer is on.
Charlie Shepard: I bet that I can name a disgusting sweet savory combo for every good one that you come up with.
Sawyer Dalton: I'll take that bet. Ham and pineapple on pizza.
Annalise Becker: Controversial start.
Charlie Shepard: I guess I'll humor you. Donut burgers.
Sawyer Dalton: It has to be popular enough that people actually eat it.
Charlie Shepard: No way. You just made up that rule. If it's gross, why would it be on menus?
Sawyer Dalton: Fine. Chocolate covered anything. Potato chips, pretzels, no misses.
Charlie Shepard: Peanuts and Doctor Pepper.
Annalise Becker: Hold on. Hold on.
Sawyer Dalton: You're not taking this seriously. I'm giving real answers, and you think I'm stupid.
Charlie Shepard: Of course not. I would never take you for a fool. You Look. Look. See? It's real.
Sawyer Dalton: One person on Reddit puts peanuts in their soda, and all of a sudden, it's a national phenomenon to you? You can't do that, I'm not done. I need to prove I'm right. Skyline chili has cinnamon on it. That's peak sweet and savory.
Charlie Shepard: Skyline chili sucks. Sorry not sorry, Cincinnati.
Sawyer Dalton: Charlie. Charlie, please.
Charlie Shepard: It's got cinnamon and herbs on it. This isn't this isn't pumpkin pie. It's chili.
Sawyer Dalton: We need a topic change.
Annalise Becker: Oh, I had a story ready. Should I get into that?
Sawyer Dalton: Sure. Please.
Annalise Becker: Got it. I find a lot of foods gross for a lot of different reasons. Mostly texture, but I can't stand the taste of bananas depending on the day. No. Fish. Listen. I've never tried most fish, so I'm not sure if I'd like, like, tuna or sushi. I know. It's crazy. I've never tried sushi, but my taste for cod is ruined forever. A few weeks ago, I was over at my mom's place because she wasn't feeling well. Once she had the energy, she made dinner for my dad and I, which was some garlic butter cod. Sounded good to me because I'm a huge garlic girl. So I was down to try it. When I was eating it, something tasted off, which I now realize was because it was undercooked. It was kind of rubbery, but the garlic masked it enough for me. That night, I had the worst food poisoning of my life. I seriously thought I was gonna be hospitalized, and I would have sued my mom. Sorry, mom, if you're listening. When I got home, I was kneeling at the toilet for 4 hours. Couldn't get out of bed for a few days because of the vertigo. You know when you're a kid and you throw up after eating a certain kind of food and then it's ruined for the rest of your life? It was like that. I think I might not be a garlic girl anymore after that.
Sawyer Dalton: Version to garlic, Like a vampire?
Annalise Becker: Jeez, you say one negative thing about garlic, and suddenly you're a bloodsucker.
Charlie Shepard: No. No. She can't be.
Annalise Becker: She's been basking the sun lately. Could see more burnt skin.
Charlie Shepard: Yeah. I've noticed that you've been going out more. It's been nice to see some color in your face. Touching grass has its benefits.
Annalise Becker: Way to call me an antisocial loser. I haven't really noticed a change in the, frequency of when I leave the apartment.
Sawyer Dalton: You picked up groceries last Saturday, and you usually don't volunteer to leave the house on a weekend. It's much appreciated, though.
Annalise Becker: Right. I did. Yeah.
Charlie Shepard: Maybe you kicked down all the social anxiety.
Sawyer Dalton: I mean, you've been working hard lately. Hosting a podcast has been helping your productivity. Mhmm. Are you feeling productive enough to make dinner tonight, or is it still my turn?
Annalise Becker: Your turn. You cook good. I cook well. Well, good cooking isn't this week's topic. I'm the best at segues. How about hot dogs?
Sawyer Dalton: Oh,
Annalise Becker: hey.
Sawyer Dalton: Hey, Anna. I wanted to talk to you about a few things, if that's okay.
Annalise Becker: Depends. How long is that gonna take?
Sawyer Dalton: 5 minutes tops. Okay.
Annalise Becker: What's up?
Sawyer Dalton: How have you been lately? Getting enough sleep? I don't
Annalise Becker: know what my sleep schedule's like.
Sawyer Dalton: Right. But you slept through all of movie night yesterday. I know that's something you look forward to every week.
Annalise Becker: I don't know. Just had a long day. Is this all you wanted to talk about?
Sawyer Dalton: Anna, I've been hearing you sick every night. It's hard to sleep over the sound of vomiting in the next room over.
Annalise Becker: What? You only care because it's been keeping you up?
Sawyer Dalton: You know that's not what I meant.
Annalise Becker: Just tell my stomach to be normal. Problem solved.
Sawyer Dalton: Have you tried taking some medicine?
Annalise Becker: Right. Take some Pepto to make my puke pink. So aesthetic.
Sawyer Dalton: Why are you being so difficult?
Annalise Becker: Why are you acting like my dad?
Sawyer Dalton: Because I'm worried about you. Is that so hard to believe? Look, you wander around the apartment half asleep, knocking shit over and walking into walls. You're not drunkenly stumbling around. You're sleeping on your office floor. I'm concerned. I think this podcast thing is too much.
Annalise Becker: No. No. It's not the podcast. That's stupid.
Sawyer Dalton: What else are you doing until 4 in the morning?
Annalise Becker: Normal things, like video games and stuff.
Sawyer Dalton: Will you consider going to a doctor?
Annalise Becker: I don't see why that's necessary.
Sawyer Dalton: Please, Anna. I'm telling you that you don't look well.
Annalise Becker: I never do. I'm an agoraphobic vampire who's never heard of vitamin c. I'm getting over food poisoning or something. Just let it go.
Sawyer Dalton: Is there something you're not telling me?
Annalise Becker: You act like you're owed every detail of my life. Jesus Christ, Anna. Can you stop picking an attitude and just listen to me? I'll be better in a week. I promise. I'm already better than I was last week. Why would I drive all the way to the doctor's office and blow $50 just for them to tell me what I already know?
Sawyer Dalton: Whatever. I concede, but I think you should monitor it. Okay? What? Your symptoms. If anything changes, I mean, I know you're confident about it, so I'll trust you. But it might be good to keep track of your symptoms in case it gets worse, and you have a good time line for the doctor.
Annalise Becker: Yeah. I'll think about it.
Sawyer Dalton: Please do.
Annalise Becker: Is that all, or can I do you for anything else?
Sawyer Dalton: No. Just keep this conversation in mind. Okay?
Annalise Becker: Yep.
Sawyer Dalton: Try to get a good night's sleep.
Annalise Becker: Yeah. Yeah. Whatever. Hey. Again. Log number 2. Annalise Becker. Tuesday, August 20, 2024. 5:30 PM. Last week, I, I talked about my fatigue. Can't really say that it's improving, but that's not to say it's unmanageable. I've been taking more naps lately, which allows me to have more energy when it really counts. The headaches come and go, though. They're more like migraines now. Just so much pressure behind my eyes. Man, I took some Ibuprofen this morning and it helped a little. I woke up this morning, doomscrolled for an hour, then had breakfast. Sawyer made me toast with honey and some scrambled eggs, which didn't sit well. It's too bad because I love Sawyer's cooking. Breakfast didn't even sit for an hour before I threw it up, though. Left me with an upset stomach all day. Great setup for today's episode. I have half a mind to think Sawyer or Charlie have been poisoning me. I was getting better before I came back to town. Right? Because they're jealous of how successful I am. This is peak performance. They had to take me down a
Sawyer Dalton: Hey.
Charlie Shepard: Am I interrupting something?
Annalise Becker: No. Not at all. What can I do you for?
Charlie Shepard: I'm heading out to dinner. Wanna come?
Annalise Becker: Depends. Where are you going?
Charlie Shepard: Applebee's. I'm craving a chilled cocktail.
Annalise Becker: And you're asking me? Why not?
Charlie Shepard: Is it that hard to believe I like hanging out with you?
Annalise Becker: Yeah. Sure.
Charlie Shepard: I'll bite. Hell, yeah. Hey. It's been nice hanging out lately.
Annalise Becker: Oh, yeah? Mhmm.
Charlie Shepard: You were crazy last weekend. I don't think I've seen you get that wild since sophomore year.
Annalise Becker: -Uh, what'd we do last weekend?
Charlie Shepard: -We went to the dive, remember?
Annalise Becker: -Oh, yeah.
Charlie Shepard: -I've missed that side of you, you know? Late night parties and screaming the lyrics to show tunes on the street.
Annalise Becker: -Mhmm. Me too. -Let's get you a drink. You'll perk up.
Sawyer Dalton: Then then he said, we don't even sell that here. Oh, oh, can you believe it? Can you believe it, Anna? That's what he said. Mhmm. Let's go. And and you, tonight, you talk so much to to the waiter and then those girls at at the bar. You're so funny. I'm so glad we went out tonight.
Annalise Becker: Mhmm. Me too. Come on. Take a left here.
Sawyer Dalton: Don't don't want me bumping into walls. You're so, so helpful. You know that? I hope people tell you that because you are.
Annalise Becker: Yeah. Alright. There you go.
Sawyer Dalton: This isn't my room. My bed my bed's in a few places over. I need to go to bed.
Annalise Becker: We're getting you to bed, Charlie. Stick right here. Can I trust you to do that?
Sawyer Dalton: Sir, yes, sir. I can do that. No problem.
Annalise Becker: Let's try not to wake up Sawyer. He needs his beauty sleep.
Sawyer Dalton: Yeah. Lisette,
Annalise Becker: you need some water. You had a lot of drinks tonight.
Sawyer Dalton: I'm all full on drinks. Is there a word for that? Like, what's the opposite of thirsty?
Annalise Becker: Come on, Charlie. I don't wanna deal with this all night.
Sawyer Dalton: Really? That seems like such an oversight on the English language. How how do you suppose I tell you I don't wanna drink anything else? I gotta pee. Don't need more pee in my body. You're gonna you're gonna have to catch me alive. Come on. Let me run away. You can chase me and everything. No. No, he's no. You can't make me. No way. Are you just gonna stare at me all weird like that until I take the water? You look so dumb right now. Go go look in the mirror and see how weird your little little bitty eyes look. You you good over there, bud?
Maco Jeleniewski: You've just listened to an episode of Your Host made in collaboration with Impact 89 FM. This episode of Your Host was written by Madeline Jeleniewski and edited by Laura King. Directed and produced by Madeline Jeleniewski. Casted in collaboration with Laura King. Audio engineered by Madeline Jeleniewski with assistance from Tyler Butt. Music written by Cassandra Cohen. Featuring the vocal performances of Alex Melconian as Annalise Becker, It's Not Mika as Charlie Shepherd, and Draco Chella as Sawyer Dalton. Additional voices provided by Michelle Long and Simon Zukert. Thanks for listening.