Morgan Starkweather is a recent grad OT who was a puppy raiser for Guiding Eyes and did her graduate thesis work with families who benefited from having an autism assistance dog. We talk about what it takes to be a puppy raiser, how these working dogs can change lives, and the role of OT in assistance dog training.
- In the intro, I mentioned my episode on personal goal setting. Check it out here:
- Raising an assistance dog
- What is the role of the raiser?
- What does the dog learn while living with the raiser?
- Role of assistance dogs in enabling participation and engagement in people with ASD
- Speciality commands that match the handler’s needs
- How dogs keep their handlers safe
- How dogs can help their handlers with ADLs like eating and dressing
- Dogs can encourage their handlers to participate
- Freedom for the family to not have to explain themselves in public
- Different types of assistance dogs (guide, hearing, and service)
- The possible role of OT with assistance dog agencies for matching dogs with handlers
- The benefits of doing a Masters thesis
- Learn how to advocate for OT in emerging practice areas
- Learn new methods for learning about people’s experiences
- Paxis Red Blend (Bulldog)
- Portugal, 2013
- My take: aromatic, but the taste was a bit tart and chalky
- Pros: less than $10
- Cons: I’m not likely to buy this vintage again, but I hear the 2017 and more recent vintages are much better, so I may give those a chance
- Lucas Vineyards Sangria
- Finger Lakes, NY, USA
What is OT Uncorked?
OT Uncorked is a podcast for wine-loving OTs, pairing wine and hot topics in occupational therapy. Hosted by Miranda Rennie and featuring guests from the profession, OT Uncorked was created to learn from people doing ordinary and extraordinary work across OT settings and share resources with other practitioners. Miranda is an OT who is passionate about providing holistic care for people with neurologic conditions. She is a small-town East Coaster living in Los Angeles, CA. Miranda hopes you will join her in uncorking hot topics and wine, discovering what’s new and relevant in the profession!