Intro: I want to go home. Did you get tired of painting? I'm bored. Where did you get that horrible necklace? Don't you touch it. You're horrible. You're a pig. You let him do dirty things to you. You're both filthy dogs. Everything is ready, my darling. Do not be afraid. This sandwich tastes as dry as hell.
Richard: Hello and welcome to Hello This Is The Doomed Show. I am Richard. Folks, I am here, demonically charged and joined by Mark, who is also a demon. Mark, hello.
Mark: Hello, Richard, how are you?
Richard: Demon Witch Child, have ever those three words been spoken together? Have those three words ever been spoken separately? I don't know. I'm doing good. I'm willing to say I'm doing good on this recording. How are you?
Mark: I'm good. I was going to say, that's what my grandmother used to lovingly call me, is Demon Witch Child.
Richard: Oh, yes. My grandma was like, Oh, your clothes are too baggy. I was like, I know it's the style, Grandma. I want to go on a skateboard and break my ankles. That never happened, but I did skateboard pathetically. Spoiler alert, not any kind of spoiler. We're talking about Demon Witch Child from 1975, aka the possessed, aka la endemoniada, which is translating according to Google to the demoniac. And this was written and directed by Amando de Ossorio, which I love that this was 1975 because it's the same year as a few other exorcist things, but exorcism with Paul Nashie directed by Juan Bosch. That is also the same year as this. So quite, quite wonderful year for ripping off William Friedkin and William Peter Blatty.
Mark: Oh, Richard, I don't. Okay, I know it's your show, but I'm pretty sure this was first and they, the exorcist copied this.
Richard: Yes, yes.
Mark: I think it's the other way around. I think they saw this and they thought, well, we can make a couple of bucks. We'll just do our American version of it.
Richard: Yeah, they were ripping off Abbey.
Mark: They're ripping off Abbey. Oh, Abbey. Yes.
Richard: See now, that's a movie that should be unbanned from everything that.
Mark: Oh, yeah.
Richard: Everyone has the same copy of Abbey. This is old like VHS rip or like underground, you know, like they filmed it in their frickin basement. They projected it in their basement and then videotaped the wall or something like, oh, poor Abbey, justice for Abbey. That's what we want. I have found a beautiful copy of the VHS tape, the All Seasons VHS, the plot synopsis on the back of said VHS tape. In a small town in Ireland, a young girl becomes the victim of demonic possession. After being informed by the priest of a church robbery and disappearances of newborn babies, police detective Barnes arrests an old lady who is suspected of being a witch. After rigid interrogation, the woman kills herself by jumping out of a window. In revenge, the old woman's spirit takes possession of nine-year-old Susan, daughter of Barnes. Sorry. Daughter of Barnes, come forward. Who in turn takes revenge on her governess and on those who punished her in her childhood. Sort of, Susan goes to the tomb of the old lady where the forces of good and evil fight to the death for... the possessed. The possessed, dash, a story of demonic terror and witchcraft.
Mark: Y'all. Ask a tort forever.
Richard: I don't know about that tomb part at the end, but sure. Taglines I found for this movie are, If you were terrified by the exorcist, horrified by Beyond the Door, now see the greatest shocker of them all. And good and evil battle for possession of the innocent. And only exorcism could liberate her of diabolical possession. And finally, a terrifying battle between innocence and evil. So yes, I could not find a trailer for this. God bless America and Spain. There was no there was a trailer like three minutes, but it was all just dialogue and clips. No voiceover guy. Nope. You know, no, like hyperbole or anything. I was really sad this didn't get more heavily marketed, but I think they would have gotten sued. You know, like poor Abby did. So they didn't they didn't go too crazy. Although this got re-released at least twice for different territories. So folks, yeah, we're going to spoil this. This is absolutely worth seeking out. There's an old DVD that's kicking around from Code Red, I believe. And I think there's a Spanish Blu-ray that might not have the dub on it. I'm not sure of the... I didn't really look into that very much. Hey there, folks. This is Editor Richard. Just breaking in here. We obviously recorded this episode before the Vinegar Syndrome triple feature with Demon Witch Child came out. So now it's on Blu-ray in the Americas.
Mark: Wow.
Richard: But you should absolutely watch this. And much like the other movies that Mark and I have discussed thus far, even if we spoil it, you're going to need to see it.
Mark: I don't think this can be spoiled.
Richard: No, no, no, no. Real quick, in the cast, we have Julian Mateos, his father, Juan. He's going to be our hero of the movie, sort of. The only movie I recognize him from is Cold Eyes of Fear, which is...
Mark: Enzio Castellari, isn't it?
Richard: Yeah, I think it's his weakest, his weakest film of his I've seen. I don't dislike Cold Eyes of Fear, but I think the soundtrack by Ennio Morricone and the performance by Frank Wolfe, because Frank Wolfe is always good, but I don't like that one. We got Marion Salgado as Susan Barnes, our posessy. This is a child in quotation marks. I'm going to guess, as I don't know how old she was when they made this, that she had to have been a teenager who sort of looked 12, but she's playing a nine-year-old. That's my impression.
Mark: Who also did the voice for Linda Blair in the Spanish version of The Exorcist.
Richard: Yes, that was like one of the two trivia pieces I could find about this movie was that Marion Salgado did the voice for a good old Linda Blair. So that's why they wanted to have her in this. But she's also terrifying. Like she's a creepy kid.
Mark: I would give anything to have her come up behind you right now. Just give you a peck on the cheek.
Richard: Man, she would just slap me and go bullshit. She was in Who Can Kill a Child like the creepiest fucking kid movie ever. So we got Fernando Sancho. He plays the police chief in this movie. This gentleman has 244 credits, including Voodoo Black Exorcist, which, boy, howdy, I have been wanting to revalue that because that movie was not good. But I also wasn't in the frame of mind that I am now. So I have a feeling I'd enjoy that more. But more importantly, Mark, he was in one of the best Jeffrey episodes ever in the folds of the flesh. Because getting to talk about that movie with Jeffrey is a very wonderful memory. I have movies great.
Mark: It's a treat.
Richard: We have it on Blu-ray.
Mark: Right.
Richard: And I have no people who are like, I never watched that because I thought it was a porno. I'm like, oh, no, it is not a porno. Trust me. You are in for something. Lone Fleming plays Anne Crawford. She is the governess to Miss Susan. Lone Fleming of the Icy Eyes variety. She was in Tombs of the Blind Dead, and It Happened Nightmare Inn, AKA Candle for the Devil, which is a good one. I like it. We got Angel or Angel De Pozo. He plays Mr. Barnes or just Barnes in that plot description. He's daddy. He's like some kind of political bigwig senator or representative of something, blah, blah, blah. He was in Horror Express and Assignment Terror. I was so excited that he was in Horror Express. I wrote it twice. So it's Horror Express, Assignment Terror, and then again, Horror Express. I don't know what I was doing there. Kali Hanza plays Gypsy Witch, which that's what the IMDB, that's what her character's name is. But of course, you know, we call her Romani or something. Kali Hanza, Jess Franco Regular. Oh my God. She's like a living statue, that woman.
Mark: I do like her strategically placed beads.
Richard: Oh, we're going to. Yeah, we got a side boob. Yeah, incredible. Incredible. Daniel Martin is William Grant. He was the one who's in Devil's Kiss. He was also in Crypt of the Living Dead, aka Hannah, Queen of the Vampires. Now, William's character is very key to this movie. He is the journalist boyfriend of Anne. Anne, thank you. Who is who his fate is not enviable. We'll talk about that. Toda Alaba, she is Mother Gautier. She is the witch in question, who's going to pass on her beautiful looks to Susan while she's possessed. Maria Costi is in this as Hester or Esther. She plays the former girlfriend, excuse me, fiance of Father Juan. She's Miss Subplot, that is one of the greatest subplots in any Italian, excuse me, in any Spanish horror film. She's great, but Maria Costi, Dragonfly for Each Corpse, Night of the Sorcerers and Vengeance of the Zombies. Oh my God. Two other brief mentions. There's a doctor in this movie who's played by Fernando Hilbeck, who was the really, really cool zombie in Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. And one of the nurses is Montserrat Proust, another Jess Franco regular, so blink and you'll miss her. That's a lot of people. I was excited.
Mark: It's a wonderful cast for a great movie.
Richard: It really is. Amando de Ossorio always packs the movies with the Spanish horror legends.
Mark: I actually, like, love this gentleman's.
Richard: Yeah, I only have one bone to pick with him, and that's over the totally pointless rape scene in Tombs of the Blind Dead. I bring this up all the time.
Mark: So fine. Like, she's totally like, let's get a sandwich.
Richard: Yeah, yeah.
Mark: Yeah, it's very weird.
Richard: The American version cuts out the rape scene, and you find out very quickly that nothing changes with or without it. It's so dumb.
Mark: Yeah, it's very strange.
Richard: Oh, well. But hey, that movie is fundamental for my childhood. I wonder who I'd be if I hadn't seen Tombs of the Blind Dead on Elvira's movie Macabre back in the day, because that is such a joyful that ending scared me so bad. Oh, my God. It's so good. But yeah, Armando de Ossorio. I mean, it just it's incredible. The stuff that he put out, because you always think you've seen everything he's done. And it's like, nope, there's one more.
Mark: I love his stuff. Yeah.
Richard: Or you've seen it and you forgot that he did.
Mark: Well, I guess later in life, he painted the Templar Knights like that's how. Yeah, which is pretty cool.
Richard: I would love to have one of those. That's awesome. My other bone to pick with him, I guess I have two bones, is the clips. He always used clips from the first Tomb of the Blind Dead movie in all of the other blind dead movies that always irked me. I was like, Oh, come on.
Mark: Well, they can't see it, so they don't know.
Richard: We never got paid. I can't even afford food. So we're going to go through this plot. And folks, we, Mark and I, I think struggled to not do this entire movie scene by scene. This movie slows down for like a minute or two, but it's always coupled with some batshit crazy shit. So we're going to try to summarize this pretty good. Mark, talk about the weirdly broken opening of this movie that apparently is not a mistake in the download.
Mark: So we have our witch entering a church and she goes about kind of like desecrating it. She like, you know, throws the little, you know, candles around and everything and then she eventually ends up with a chalice. And I love that she puts the little prayer candle, like at the foot of the Virgin Mary who's standing on a devil, a demon, which oddly the head I thought looked a lot like me, but that's, I don't know about that. But then it repeats all over again with credits this time on it. Same scene. So it's like, am I having a stroke? Is it deja vu or is it the demon? We don't know. The devil at play.
Richard: Oh, man. Satan wants you to read every name of the cast and crew.
Mark: It's pretty cool. Now, the witch I would like to also point out looks like Riff Raff from the Rocky Horror.
Richard: There's a lie.
Mark: I'm not sure why Satan. Yeah, she's like balding. I don't understand. Yeah. Anyway.
Richard: Hey, yeah, I love this. I wrote that it's sacrilegious. This whole scene is pretty cool. She leaves some kind of a what looks like a mutant chicken foot to like to make a further blasphemy. It's very, it's very amazing.
Mark: It's like a flash fried chicken leg foot.
Richard: So immediately we go from this to to this doctor character talking to our pal Father Juan. They're talking about this, the sacrilege. Apparently there's been a kidnapped child, a baby, a baby. And of course the cop blames women. He literally is like, Oh, it's some crazy woman stolen. A woman who can't have a child told his baby. Then he blames the witches or a witch in particular, who's a mama go to air and they are going to roll up on her trying to just do some business. You know, she's reading some cards for some, some paying customers and they roll up and take her away and they get cursed by Kali Hansa as the young witch. She's slinging curses at him.
SPEAKER_1: The police commissioner, he'll pay for this. I swear it. I'll put a curse on all of them, a curse on all of them.
Richard: And we, we go to the police station where they bring in the mother of the missing child to plead with this cold-hearted weach. And it does not work. And they finally convince her that the witch, that they're going to make her talk with sodium pentothal, which she then proceeds to peace out of life by, you know, you'll never take me alive. You bastards jumping out the window to her death.
Mark: It's really ask a tour.
Richard: Ask a tour. Yeah. We're going to talk about ask a tour a little bit more. As he's a little demon. I just enjoy it so much. Next thing you know, this daughter of Mr. Barnes, this political figure, she is playing in the park, minding her own business with her teddy bear. And she skips to her Lou, which I was like, how old is this character supposed to be? Cause again, she looks like a 14 to 17 year old child. They have her dressed up like she's 12, but then she's obviously supposed to be younger with her teddy bear. And Callie Hansa shows up and says, hey, little girl, you want a cool toy? Gives her the least cool toy.
Mark: No child would want me. I would want that thing, but other than that, no one would want that thing.
Richard: What is it? What does it look like?
Mark: Okay, seriously, to me, it looks like a, I'm sorry, like a sex toy slash door wedge to keep a door propped open when you're not using a sex toy. But it may have been fashioned out of pieces with red eyes.
Richard: That's how they propped open the green door and beyond the green door.
Mark: No one would want this thing. No, no one, no one.
Richard: I mean, no one. It's wonderful. So she gives it to her and tells her to keep it secret and then gives her a cool necklace with some bones and teeth on it. Very fashionable and tells her, don't tell anyone where you got this necklace. Just say you found it and here, zip open your Teddy Ruxpin and hide this freaking little demon inside it. And out of the blue, this transformed Susan into little bitchy Susan.
Mark: She's a potty mouth immediately.
Richard: So while Ann is distracted by William, all this has happened and then Susan shows up and gives him shit immediately. It's great. I wrote that little Susan has an adult sized attitude problem.
Mark: Now, William, he's the only one I'm going to do this with, but in my American remake of this, not that needs remake, but he would be Patrick Swayze.
Richard: Oh my God. He does kind of look like mutant Patrick Swayze.
Mark: I like that. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Especially what happens later.
Richard: Oh my God. So good. So in the hospital, the witch has passed away and it's time for her to possess Susan. What happens during Susan's possession scene?
Mark: As far as I can tell, nothing like this has ever been captured on film. Susan's in bed and the sheets kind of like go down of their own accord. Sure. And she, I mean, it's a legit levitation scene. I've never seen anything like this on film. I don't know how they accomplished this. But she actually comes up off the bed, blocking her, it looks like a shooting range picture of David Cassidy that comes and goes. And then she comes back down and then we know for a fact that she's been possessed. But I do not know how they accomplish this. I assume it really was a fact with the devil because it's, I've never seen this in film before.
Richard: See, David Cassidy in, I believe it was VH1's Behind the Music for the Partridge family was such a dick. Like he came off as such a dick, but I don't know because I don't know him, but I'm like, maybe he's the reason she's possessed. It's not this witch. No, I love that. Yeah, I'm wondering if this ever gets restored because the copy that's circulating isn't bad at all. It's just really scratched up and very faded, but otherwise it looks good. I'm just wondering if you'll ever see the wires because man, that is a great levitation scene.
Mark: So can I say something? I'm raising my hand. Please. Apparently what they did, I actually, I don't know where I heard this. If you look at the closet, it's too, the doors are too far apart between, and she's actually on a flat thing, and there's sticks like that raise and lower that. So there's no strings involved. I'm sorry, I ruined the magic of it.
Richard: No, it's cool. I love it. I mean, I, yeah, now I'm going to try.
Mark: And Satan. It was that and Satan. I don't want to take away from Lucifer, our Lord and Savior.
Richard: Yes, it was Amando de Ossorio's, his pact with Satan. You know, during all this, we have Cali Hans's side boob ritual, which I will play part of, because she says the most, she says, come, come immediately. She says it really weird. It made me burst out laughing. I love that part.
Mark: Come, come, come.
Richard: The next morning, Susan, she's just doesn't want breakfast. What does she do?
Mark: Okay, poor Helen is the most put upon housekeeper I've ever seen. So she, you know, first she can't find her because she's doing that weird like I'm hidden. So I'm giggling to like make you find me. She eventually finds Susan, she gives her the tray and then she just flips it out of Helen's hand and like becomes Potty Mouse. Poor Helen, she's like, I brought you juice and now you're Demon Witch Child. It's pretty horrible.
Richard: Oh my God, dude, I dropped the ball. Helen, the maid is played by Julia Sally or Staley, who was in this Night of the Seagulls, People Who Own the Dark, Inquisition, Panic Beats, Night of the Werewolf. Like they loved her. But Paul Nashie must have loved her. That's amazing.
Mark: She's pretty nifty.
Richard: God bless her. She gets attitude problem later that made me laugh really hard. Is that one of our scenes?
Mark: I don't know, but everyone comes down on this poor housekeeper.
Richard: Okay. Yeah, we didn't pick as one of the scenes. We'll talk about it now. Some supernatural shit happens and Anne just is like freaking out. So she calls the only other person in the house. Helen, Helen, come here. Come here. Help me, Helen. And Helen comes up the stairs yelling at her like, you don't yell at me. You're not the woman of the house. She's dead. Blah, blah, blah. I'm like, Helen, you're not concerned for the... Okay, okay.
Mark: It's fine.
Richard: Be a bitch. Whatever.
Mark: But they blame her for the most ridiculous thing. There's like toads on the bed and the doors are slamming open and closed and it's all because Anne believes that Helen left the windows open.
Richard: Yes, yes. So, so when she transforms into the witch, Susan goes walkies and she goes out into the world and she goes to the ritual, has a lot of old ladies and Cali Hanzo is doing this thing and they reveal they were the ones who kidnapped that boy child and they make Susan renounce God, which I thought was funny because it doesn't mean anything. Susan's renouncing God because she's possessed and all of a sudden I'm like, wait, these exorcism movies where they have a character saying blasphemous shit, it's all gibberish because it's not like you corrupted their soul and the person saying it from their own heart. It's they're like a puppet.
Mark: Right. Yes. Yeah.
Richard: Exorcism movies are dumb, Mark. I'm not discussing this movie.
Mark: Fuck it. Flip the table over. You're possessed. You're potty mouth.
Richard: I'm going to break that fricking tray. My orange juice on it.
Mark: Here's your breakfast. It's a beautiful day outside.
Richard: So she kills the baby, they have Susan kill the baby, and then in the shot of the century, I think this is brutal. They have cut that baby up, they don't show them doing that, but they literally, there's a shot of her eating one of that child's legs, like munching on it. It's a split second, but they show it, like just Susan, like, and my jaw dropped. I'm like, how did I not notice that before? Then I remembered this is the best copy of this movie I've seen. The first time I saw this was on one of those budget compilations, where it was like three, four VHS rip.
Mark: Okay, so my mind is blown because that was not in my movie. I thought you were joking with me.
Richard: Oh, it's a split second. I'll take a screenshot and send it to you.
Mark: Oh, I believe you. I just now she's even cooler.
Richard: Yeah, it's crazy.
Mark: I didn't think that could happen.
Richard: It's crazy that they were not fucking around with this moving.
Mark: Oh, that's amazing. I mean, if only that baby had been baptized, he would have been okay.
Richard: Oh, yeah, that's another thing. Folks, baptized in the womb. Yeah, baptized during conception.
Mark: Thank you, lackadaisical parents.
Richard: We go to a park scene where some kids are playing and some comedy ensues. Mark, what happens?
Mark: So it's recess, but by a garbage dump, it looks like for all intents and purposes. So basically the children don't have any toys, so it's just let's throw rocks at each other. So you've got the kids throwing rocks at each other for fun and then this one little girl falls and lands by a cardboard box, but underneath there's a baby doll hand reveal, which is supposed to be the actual remaining carcass of the baby that's been eaten by the sisters and the witch. I would assume they got the rest of the day off of school, which I would have been all over that. I would have milked that for everything it was worth. I would have been like, can I see the counselor?
Richard: Oh yeah, there's gonna be a therapy forever. Ever. It's so great. It's another standout moment. It's crazy.
Mark: It's pretty cool. Yeah.
Richard: So next up, at the park, Susan and Anne are hanging. And of course, Susan's being an asshole, but then they run into Father Juan. And more amazing shit happens. Mark, tell me about it.
Mark: Well, OK, so now Anne already, they don't know she's possessed, but Anne has already made note that there's been a drastic change in Susan's personality. So it's not like this is OK. So they pass Father Juan, just chilling on the park bench, and already Susan's being kind of snippy and uppity. And then, you know, Anne makes excuses and they head off. All of a sudden, Susan's like, I want to go back and talk to the priest by myself. So like a moron, Anne the governess allows this to happen. So Anne, I mean, Susan, you know, leaves Anne alone and goes back to Father Juan. And then she starts questioning about, like, you know, you're a priest, but do you have things like other men have? And he's like, what do you mean? And I'm like, you know, does she need to draw you a picture? And she's like, you know, and he's like, do you mean, like, sexual things? She's like, yes. And he's like, yeah, he's like, you know, we do. And she's like, well, then do you use them? And he's like, no, you're asking too many questions. And she's like, well, if you don't use them, either you're, what'd she say?
SPEAKER_2: Either you're a goddamn queer or impotent.
Mark: And then, and then the governess comes up and she's like, what's going on? And I'm like, you ma'am are an idiot.
Richard: Yep. And Juan, Father Juan, bless his heart, is shaken. He's like, that kid's fucked up.
Mark: Yeah, she's a mess.
Richard: Yeah.
Mark: But I say, oh my God, a lot of this rests on Anne's incompetent shoulders.
Richard: She's not a good governess.
Mark: Not at all.
Richard: Oh my God. There's a great moment at the newspaper where William is talking to his boss and his boss is like, let me read what you're writing. You can't talk about these, these blame the police for their incompetence with this baby murder and all this stuff. What are you crazy? And William's like, if you won't print it, I'll find somewhere else who'll print it. And he was like, okay, fine. We'll print it and print pictures of that dead baby and show the wounds. Unreal, unreal.
Mark: So apparently it was the, the Spanish National Enquirer he works for.
Richard: Yes, absolutely. Absolutely.
Mark: Now, can I say something really quick?
Richard: Yes, go for it.
Mark: So we also got a flashback that Juan was involved before he injured the priesthood with Esther. Yep. A hot blonde who was very upset by him leaving her. And he chose, you know, the priesthood over her. But I do like that he walked away with his tight writing pants on. So she got that last few of his ass, as he left, he's like, this is what you're missing out on, Esther.
Richard: OK, so first things first, he tells her, I've cheated on you with God. And she's like, whoa. And then as he's walking away and we're looking at his buns, Liana's like, is he like the flattest butt man in Spain? And I was like, oh, rude. How dare you, Liana? It was funny.
Mark: He became a lover of Christ.
Richard: Hey, who isn't? So thank you for catching. I was going to miss that. We talk about good old Hester later. I'm glad you set it up for us here.
Mark: No worries. That's what I'm here for.
Richard: The villagers are displeased with the baby eating. And so they go and dig up the witch from her grave, which I'm surprised she was able to afford a grave. Maybe she had some money saved up from reading cards for people. Of course, they dig her up and they set her on fire. And she opens her eyes and starts screaming. And it's wonderful.
Mark: She also looks better than she ever did living.
Richard: Yeah, that's so good, because they have this pancake white makeup on her to make her corpse like.
Mark: Yeah, she looks healthier dead than alive.
Richard: That's good. I like that. But of course, you know, this does not solve anything. In fact, Susan has some new moves. You want to talk about Susan's amazing dance moves?
Mark: Okay, so we all know in the ripoff, William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist, there was that spider walk that was cut. Well, forget that, because we've got the Susan Slither, where she's just almost like emulating a Swifter. She's just cleaning the floor as she goes along.
Richard: Yep, the Susan Slither, patent pending.
Mark: Yeah, and then she stands up and I think she's playing with her necklace and kicking her foot, but then her head rotates all the way around 360.
Richard: Her entire torso seems to turn, or is it just her head?
Mark: It's just her head. So the way they've achieved it, though, her lower, from her hips down, is disproportionately larger than the rest of her, so it's very jarring. Like, the whole thing is really odd. And I don't know why this happened, because did anyone else see this?
Richard: No.
Mark: Yeah, I think she just did this on her own in a room.
Richard: Yeah, yeah. She locks herself in her room. And I think it's so that it keeps... Because the whole debate is that she's mentally unwell, that it's not supernatural, that she's just having mental problems. The funniest thing here is that the doctor talks with Barnes, Mr. Barnes, about Susan speaking to him in tongues and speaking in different languages and like historical events. She's too young to know about all this stuff. And Barnes kind of intimates that his daughter is a dumb dumb. He's like...
Mark: He's an idiot, basically.
Richard: Susan can't even speak a little French. She's a fucking moron. I was dying.
Mark: So funny.
Teddy Ruxpin: Show and tell time. Another teddy bear? My teddy's name is Teddy Ruxpin. He talks, he tells stories. Four battle is not included. Hi, my name is Teddy Ruxpin. Can you and I be friends? I really enjoy talking to people. I would like Teddy Ruxpin, the storytelling bear comes with Illustrated Book and Cassette from Worlds of Wonder.
Mark: So very quickly, I would like to interject that if she is suffering any kind of mental instability, it's that wallpaper in her bedroom. Whoa.
Richard: It is intrusive, is the word I would use to describe that wallpaper. I hate it. It's crazy.
Mark: It's bizarre and it's everywhere. It's these flowers, it's upon flowers and it's big and there's walls where it's the same pattern, but small.
Richard: It's, yeah, trouble. So more supernatural stuff happens. The maid gets terrorized when she finds the Oscator, the dildo of the devil. And then we cut to to Father Juan. He is, he's being called to go and save a woman who's apparently this loose woman. That's like just drank an entire bottle of gin or something and then called for a priest. And who is this woman that he has to come and save Mark?
Mark: I would like to say it's Piper, Lori wearing Miss Roper's wig, but it's not. It's Esther who has turned to a life of sex work because he left her.
Richard: Oh my God. I love this. She, she is ruined. She claims that him calling off their engagement ruined her whole life. And she lays it on so thick that I'm, I'm actually angry with her because I'm like, lady, are you kidding? And he even tells her like that's on you. Like I'm here to save you. And she tries to get him to come back to her and give up sweet Jesus, but he will not do it.
Mark: So just real quick, when I was young in Catholic school, we had something called speech meets and you would team up with someone else. And you would do little like reenactments of play, like scenes from plays. And you know, it was really just like a drama club when you didn't have drama club in grade school. I so want to reenact that scene with someone else, but like be little fat Mark. And so I would have that wig and I'd be on the stage and see how long it took the nuns to get up there to stop me. But I want to do that whole monologue so badly. And I want to look like, look right in sister Ellen's face and say, lay some delicious pig.
Richard: I would just stand in the background, just chewing on a baby leg.
Mark: It's just, it's priceless. That scene alone is worth the price of admission. Forget any exorcism, that scene is great.
Richard: So they start to investigate the whole house because things are so scary in town that they even are having cops watch Susan's house. And Mr. Barnes has agreed to let them tap his phone line because they're worried that someone is influencing Susan. So Susan uses her sweet, sweet vocal technique, which is a new superpower she has, to impersonate Anne and call William and entice him to meet her at the park. How does this go for William?
Mark: It goes pretty poorly for William. He agrees to meet Anne there because she says it's not safe, so she wants to meet him in the dark in the park. So he gets there and of course it's not Anne, it's Susan mimicking Anne's voice and she wants to get jiggity with him, it seems. So she pins him to the ground and he's resisting and she keeps smashing his Patrick Swayze-like head to the ground and then he's dead, but she's not done with him. She unzips his pants and you don't know what's gonna happen, it's pretty weird at first, and then she pulls out the world's smallest pocket knife to basically eliminate him of his genitalia, which she points out, he's quite hung, but he won't need these anymore. She puts him a little handkerchief she has.
Richard: And then she skips away like she skipped away in the earlier scenes. Yeah, this is also insane. It's not graphic. There's, don't worry, there's no deleted ding-dong cutting off scenes in my version.
Mark: No, but it's so weird.
Richard: Yeah, it's very strange because remember, this is supposed to be a child.
Mark: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Richard: The things we do for love.
Mark: Or a pair of testicles and a dick in a handkerchief.
SPEAKER_1: You're well hung. What good are they to you now?
Richard: The cops blame a sex maniac, so this is automatically a giallo. Anne is in trouble with the law because, of course, they have this recording of her voice enticing William, and then he gets killed. So she's being questioned at the police station and enrolls Susan with a present for... And Susan's been missing. They've all been looking for her.
Mark: Yeah.
Richard: So she rolls up with a little gift wrap present for Anne. What's up with the box? What's in the box, as they say.
Mark: Well, so it's all wrapped in everything. And Anne's like, oh, thank you. Again, Anne is a really clueless governess. She's like, oh, thank you, Susan. I know I'd be interrogated for the death of my lover, but thank you so much for this thoughtful gift that you took the time to wrap. And then so the police chief has got Susan in the hallway. And then you see Anne start to unwrap it. And meanwhile, Susan's like mimicking the police officer's voice. She's f-ing around with him in the hallway being like a possessed little twerp. And then it's discovered that she is actually given... Oh, and she's like, oh, don't trust me, Anne, you're gonna love this. And so Anne opens it and it's the genitalia of her dead lover.
Richard: Which she recognizes.
Mark: Yes! She's like, this is Willie's Willie. Yeah, this is William's Weiner.
Richard: She knows he was castrated, but I immediately assumed she recognized his balls.
Mark: Now, is it everything or is it just the testicles? I was talking about walk to walk with that because she said, you won't need these anymore.
Richard: Exactly. That's what Lietta thought too. And she, you know, she says you're well hung, but then the box is pretty small.
Mark: So maybe she'd curl it. She did it pop up. You like those Joe peanuts. You open it. Oh yeah.
Richard: Hey, you know, I stopped using the springing boner sound effect, the boy on your own. So I'm sorry, folks. They won't bring it back just for this one moment.
Mark: Oh, but it's also important to note that Susan has not changed clothing at all. So she's got a blood stain on her pocket of her dress. And that's what has gotten the police chief's attention.
Richard: Yeah.
Mark: But she's just like, oh, it's blood. She skips away again from them.
Richard: And she gives him shit. It's great. But she so they need another unbaptized child. She goes to her aunt's house to steal her aunt's fricking child.
Mark: Well, I think her aunt, it's not even stated, but she must also be a governess because she's pretty stupid.
Richard: Yep. Yeah.
Mark: Because she just lets her in. And all aunt or all Susan wants to know is, hey, is that baby even baptized yet? Not how are you? Not anything like that. But she goes immediately to the bassinet.
Richard: Oh, my God. It's so funny. It's so amazing.
Mark: And the aunt's like, they've been looking for you. And Susan's like, why don't you go call, leaving me alone with this unbaptized baby?
Richard: What could go wrong?
Mark: No, it's fine.
Richard: Yes. This is all magical. So she's taking the baby to go sacrifice it with her homegirls. And the cops are showing up. Oh, no. Father Juan shows up. So she has to put the baby down very rudely, like slam it on the ground. Luckily, they didn't kill it. And then her and Father Juan square off for the big finale, which is just some wind. My favorite thing with this whole wrap up is the cops shoot Kali Hans's character. Yeah. And her death scene is a slam dunk, mic drop, Oscar moment of just dragging out your death scene as long as possible. This is like Marlon Brando in The Young Lions dragging out her death scene. Shit. This is fucking hilarious. I love it.
Mark: So I was thinking, uh, Darryl Hannah is Pris and Blade Runner.
Richard: Oh my God. Yes. Just like throwing a little hissy fit on the ground. I love it.
Mark: I loved it so much. Yeah.
Richard: So yeah, Juan versus Susan. He tries to, well, he tries to save her and, you know, exorcise the demon. But she ends up getting impaled on the, so it is at her tomb, isn't it?
Mark: Yeah. Because it's a giant like wrought iron frost that the villagers much earlier jammed in the ground before they set her on fire.
Richard: I shouldn't have been mean to the plot description. That is accurate. So she ends up getting stabbed right through the chest, but her soul is saved and her father's not very upset about it. He's like just patting her head like, Oh, cool, bro.
Mark: And the end of the movie wasn't the smartest thing. So it's like not a loss.
Richard: The end of the movie is she gets angel wings and says, later, bros, see you at the rapture. Okay. She didn't say that. That didn't happen.
Mark: Peace out. Bye.
Richard: But dude, that's the whole, that's pretty much the whole movie.
Mark: I do love though that she's not really, I mean, she's safe, but she's like, Oh, I can die in peace now. It's not like she's going back home to that bedroom.
Richard: It's a bummer. It's a bummer ending. And I like it. It's like, it's complex.
Mark: Yeah. I love it so much.
Richard: Like we talked about, don't have a lot of trivia other than the most pathetic wiki trivia I could find was that fans of Armando de Ossorio consider this one of his most underseen and underappreciated films. I agree. Yeah. But so I have a few crew member connections here. That's pretty cool. The music is by somebody named Diego and Victor, who I didn't really recognize their credits too much. Music that they did is serviceable. I would say a couple of the theme tunes are memorable. The Na Na Na Na Na Church Choir that Juan is conducting. I'll play a little bit of that right here so you can hear this. This shit's crazy.
Mark: Or I could just do it. I mean, it's... Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Hey, hey, hey.
Richard: The music's okay. This is produced by Isaac Hernandez, who produced Night of the Walking Dead. I'm just trying to will that movie into a Blu-ray. And Julio Vallejo, he also produced this. The cinematography is by Vicente Menaya. He was the cinematographer on a little movie that came out the same year as this called Evil Eye, which is another movie that gets lumped into Giallo somehow. It is a bit of a mystery, but mainly it's another freak out Satan movie, which I need to rewatch. I did not like that movie at all the first time. And I suspect that that's on me, that I will absolutely enjoy it now. And last in my little mentions here of the crew, the assistant director on this film is Francisco Rodriguez, who was the assistant director on All the Colors of the Dark. And he was the assistant director on The Strange Vice of Mrs. Ward. So like the Spanish stuff in those movies, because they were, I believe they're co-productions. Man, pretty awesome. So Mark, unless you have more trivia, how do you feel about this movie?
Mark: That's pretty much all. Yeah, you covered all the trivia that I had really. I don't, it's amazing. I don't know what else to say. I feel gross. I feel like I need a shower. All the good things that should come with this movie. It's wonderful on so many levels. I too would like to kidnap an unbaptized baby and hang out with my sisters. Bring a little, what was it, hatred and perversion into the world. It's great.
Richard: I would keep it nice, though. It would definitely treat that baby better.
Mark: Treat the unbaptized baby better.
Richard: Just raise it as your Satan's child. Don't eat it. Make it an evil baby. Because all babies are kind of evil anyway.
Mark: So like Damien, you're saying? Yeah.
Richard: Okay.
Mark: All right. Only if I get to be the governess at his fifth birthday party, so I know that my life did have meaning, and I was able to scar as many kids as I could with the best birthday gift ever, because nothing will top that.
Richard: I would love to know the age of people who have seen that movie with that watched as a kid. How old was everybody? Because, you know, that movie came out the year I was born. So I got to see it real young when it played on TV.
Mark: So yeah, I saw mine on TV.
Richard: Oh, my God. I must have been like five or something. I saw very confusing.
Mark: Holly Plants is the coolest.
Richard: Yep. But yeah, yeah, I was so glad you picked this. This is a movie I hadn't thought about in a very long time. I watched that bootleg I was telling you about. And that I recorded that in my Anything But The Exorcist movie-thon, which is in Doomed Movie-thon the Book, available at amazon.com.
Mark: Pick it up, folks. Pick it up.
Richard: I didn't talk too much about, I talked a little bit about how crazy the movie is, but I definitely talked about how much I enjoyed it. And I enjoyed it even more this time. And yes, the pacing can't keep up with the craziness, but it's really, you won't care. You will not care. And you also probably aren't taking pages of notes while you're watching. I always forget that note taking during a film can affect your enjoyment when you're trying to like get everything.
Mark: Yeah. See, I take notes. I always watch it once to take notes, and I watch it the night before we record just to watch it.
Richard: See, that dedication. I love it. I appreciate that. So if you love rude kid comedy, this is your movie. It's very funny. She's either she's being an asshole in Susan's voice or she's being an asshole in the witch's voice. It's all great. I think the little kid playing Susan is so strange. I can't get over it. Bless her heart. This is tacky and wacky. All of the special effects are wonderfully insane. The baby sacrifices is, I've never seen anything quite like it.
Mark: It's to die for.
Richard: With a rattle in your hand.
Mark: Right.
Richard: The melodrama is awesome. The whole melodramatic subplot with Juan and Hester is great. You know, I would, I want just that in a movie. That's its own movie. Like there's probably a movie just like that from Spain that came out, like the same time. The dubbing is awesome. And I think this was all meant to be serious. I think because of the violence, maybe Amando de Ossorio didn't intend this to be a campy cult classic.
Mark: No, I agree with you. I agree with you 100% on that. Yeah. It has enough beats of it. I mean, yes, it is a ripoff of the Exorcist, but it has enough beats of its own that are very different in a lot of ways, that it's very original in and of itself.
Richard: I've seen a lot of Exorcist ripoffs and of the 70s variety and into the early 80s. And they all kind of have a little something. There's always the passion behind it, because I think they were feeling like they were getting away with something. And a lot of these filmmakers were trying to say something specific against the church. And they really wanted to stick it to the church, or they were just money hungry, whatever. But either way, coming up pretty soon, Dirk and I, Dirk from subjective perspective, he and I are going to talk about the Antichrist with the...
Mark: Oh, awesome.
Richard: With good old Ida Valley is in that. And Mel Ferrer.
Mark: Yes.
Richard: Yeah, I'm excited to revisit that. I'm very excited.
Mark: You know, Lordwood put that out just recently.
Richard: Yes, yes, I upgraded. I had to upgrade. That's one of my favorites.
SPEAKER_1: Do priests have the same thing as other men?
SPEAKER_3: What are you referring to?
Mark: To six.
SPEAKER_3: Who's been talking to you of these things? You must answer me.
SPEAKER_1: Do they have it or not?
SPEAKER_3: They're the same as other men.
SPEAKER_1: So you've all got girlfriends, haven't you?
Mark: But you mustn't speak like that.
SPEAKER_1: You don't want to answer.
SPEAKER_3: These are things you learn about, Susan. We have to learn to repress our desires. You as well? Yes.
SPEAKER_2: Then you're either a goddamn queer or impotent.
Richard: Mark, before we go, What is a recently seen and loved film? It can be something you watched recently that you know, right? It's in the title. It can be an old favorite that you rewatched for funsies or it could be a first time watch. What do you got?
Mark: So, and this has nothing like, it doesn't matter what movie we would have done. I would still pick this one, but it lines up kind of well with this. It's Late Night with the Devil. It came out 2023. Two directors, Cameron and Colin, I think it's Australian. I don't want to talk much about it because it's so new. Great premise though, talk show host set in the 70s. They did a great job with the 70s aspect of it. It checks off so many little boxes for like me that I love. It's just great. Like if you are into the 70s or you grew up in the 70s, because I was a kid of the 70s, teenager in the 80s, I was familiar with this kind of stuff, like the mediums on television and the whole like Michelle Remembers and the satanic panic and everything. It's all kind of in this. It's really well done. It's super cool. I hate slow burn, that word slow burn. It kind of takes a little bit to pick up, but it's not bad at all. Like I enjoy it so much. I highly recommend it to everybody. I've been telling everybody that I can get to listen to me and not walk away to watch those, which is a lot of people walk away.
Richard: I am dying to see it because I... So right when it hit theaters, I bought a ticket to see it and I was so depressed that I didn't leave the house. But I didn't ask for my money back. I did not get a refund. I let it ride. I was like, my penance for not going out is they get to keep that money. So I've supported that film and I haven't even seen it yet. Oh boy.
Mark: I wonder how it would play out on a big screen because I actually liked seeing it on a small screen because it's supposed to be like a late night television show.
Richard: I hadn't thought of that. Nice.
Mark: Yeah, I just wonder. Yeah. But I really want to talk to you after you've seen it. Sure. And get your feeling on it. Yeah.
Richard: I mean, it was probably on the small screen of the theater because, you know, by the time I go see a movie, it's never on the biggest screen. It's always relegated to those like little weird ones in the corner.
Mark: Where they just give you a viewer box and you just put your eyes to it.
Richard: You can just hand me a friggin tablet. Here you go, asshole. That's like when I finally went and saw... Oh, God, what was that movie?
Mark: Bring It On?
Richard: Barbarian.
Mark: Oh, Barbarian.
Richard: The sequel to Bring It On. Barbarian. When I saw that, that was on the smaller screen in the theater. And I think that actually helped because that was a very claustrophobic movie experience.
Mark: Sometimes that really does make a difference how you see them. I'm a firm believer of that.
Richard: So the movie I brought to the table, I was trying to think of what in the world, because I've been doing a lot of TV lately again, and I did watch something called Blade Runner 2049. It's not to be confused with Lucio Fulci's Gladiators of 2072 or whatever. But I'm a big Blade Runner nerd. My dad and I, we bonded over that movie when I was a kid. And then he was like, OK, stop watching. And I said, no, because I freaking love Blade Runner. Of course, I've read the source material, and then I've read the big, long book, which just had an updated edition when 2049 came out, the making of Blade Runner, which is it was already a very long book to begin with, and now it's even longer with the production stuff about Blade Runner 2049. It's just one of those movies that for a sequel to have worked in our day and age with incorporating elements from the first one and not screwing them up is just a miracle. I'm sure a lot of people doesn't work for, I know there's a whole contingent of people who don't like Blade Runner, which is fine. But this one is just like, music is incredible. Andy McDowell as the replicant. No, I just made that part up.
Mark: I don't know.
Richard: Wait, I missed that part.
Mark: I'm like, well, I've always suspected Andy McDowell as a replicant. So you just proved my theory.
Richard: I'm kidding. It was Roddy McDowell as the replicant. But anyway, man, Mark, this was a great time. Thank you for hanging out.
Mark: I you know, I enjoy every single time we talk.
Richard: We'll work on that.
Mark: I have a blast. So thank you again and again and again.
Richard: Hell yeah.
Mark: From the bottom of my heart. Yes.
Richard: I'll make sure that it gets shittier every time. Folks, thanks for listening. Take care. Take care of your Demon Witch Children.
Mark: Give them love and unbaptized babies.
Richard: Yeah. And ask them where they got that fricking necklace.
Mark: It looks like it would smell.
Richard: Thanks for listening. We will get to this episode. If you'd like to write in to the show, send an email to DoomedMovieThon at Gmail, or hit us up at DoomedMovieThon on Instagram, or at DoomedMovieThon on Twitter, or at DoomedMovieThon at Discord, or go to Hello This is the Doom Show on Facebook and message us there. If you want more Hello This is the Doom Show, go to doomedmoviethon.com and click the podcast button for the archive, or go to YouTube and look up DoomedMovieThon and you'll find the classic episodes of Hello This is the Doomed Show. And if that's still not enough, I have written some books, you know, about my love of movies over on amazon.com. Just look up Richard Glenn Schmidt and you'll find Giallo Meltdown, A Moviefon Diary, Giallo Meltdown 2, Cinema Somnambulist or Doomed Moviefon, the Book. Hello This is the Doomed Show is a proud member of the Legion Podcasts Network. Goto LegionPodcasts.com and check out the other great shows over there.