Gary: Hello, folks, welcome to the final episode of, not of the show, of The Beefa Versary. This is, and I discussed this in the episode, this is the eighth or ninth year. This is the ninth year Beef Versary, which we started recording about midway through last year, maybe like towards the end of last year. I don't remember when, I was down, I was out, stuff was left sitting and unedited. Anyway, this is the ninth year of the Cinema Beef Podcast. Beef Versary, if you will, I hate doing these shows. I'll tell you why. I think Cort has it right, which you'll hear later on the show, Cort Psyops, that when he does his full franchise fest for certain milestones, there's no pressure. It's just him and Matt doing something together, and that's fine. I think I'm gonna do more of the same, not to copy out the man, I might put a little twist on there and not go full franchise. I might go back to this idea, you know, where we celebrate an actor or something for like a series of some kind. I don't even know. We'll see how it goes. But coming up this, I think it's April or May? It might be May. We'll be starting our 10th year of the Cinema Beef Podcast of non-consecutive programming, lost shows. But if you've stuck it out with us for this nine years so far, going into the 10th year, bless you, love you. Thanks for listening to the band Dyrham Bullshit that goes with this show. It's not like a real swan song, but it's not. I'm more motivated now than ever to get content out to you guys. I'm very excited about that, too. But this show in particular, I won't go into too many pleasantries as far as what I've been watching or reviewing a small thing. But if you haven't seen Project Wolfhunting, I'd recommend a nice file in time with that South Korean picture. Go check it out. But yeah, this show, the third part of the brief anniversary is packed and stacked with four solid reviews, two shorter ones, two longer ones. I think the one's longer, I don't recall, but you'll get the last two reviews of the Christopher Guest oeuvre so far. We always make more, which is for your consideration. And mascots, we do those. And I will say this about the show, this is Sans Iris this time around. She wasn't here for this, and I forget what she had going on. I think she was in California, doing California stuff, and possibly meeting up with Mike, because why wouldn't you? I don't remember what's going on there. But she wasn't here for these reviews. But in this episode, you will also get, not in this order, mind you, a crippled theater, which me and Ricky were doing for these, and we may continue doing as little side projects, it'd be a lot of fun, I think, where we did this post-apocalyptic film about teens, fighting a gang or something, sort of, with their little robot called Wire to Kill. Excited for you guys to hear that, because that is a mess of a film that has some potential. And yeah. And finally, and this is what you'll hear first on this particular episode, because Valentine's, what was this past Tuesday, some of you guys may not have a sweetie, I'm one of those people, but I have lots of people I'm sweet on. This is for the people like that, and whoever wants to listen, this is our Valentine's hangover review of a special film in both of our lives, and we hope you dig it. Here it is.
Trailer: Really? What about Jill? She was in the Mafia. She was in the Mafia? Yes, the Cosa Nostra. The whole time we went out, she didn't tell me what she did for a living. Charlie, she was unemployed. She didn't have a job. Wow, that's just the perfect cover now, isn't it? All right, all right. What about Pam? She smelled like soup. What does that mean? She smelled exactly like beef vegetable soup. Charlie, you're paranoid. You weren't there. It's all in your head. It is. Hey, Jane! Get me off this crazy thing called love.
Gary: Hello, folks, this is a special, special segment for you all, for all you lovers out there, or non-lovers, or whatever you did on Valentine's Day. This is the Valentine's Hangover Review, and I'm very, very proud. We did one of these long ago, like a few Christmases ago, for a romantic comedy called Just Friends that we both happened to enjoy. And we're gonna do it again for this Valentine's Day, through you guys a bone on this Beef Aversary episode, and hopefully a bone error. For another film that we love that has romantic overtones, psychotic overtones and obsessive overtones, we'll talk all about fucking Charlie's problems in this fucking movie. So I'm here in Axe Murderer, where I talk about, and to do that, I have enlisted none other than, I think the one guy I could talk about this movie with and just roll with it. Uh, Mr. Jeffrey X. Martin, how you doing, sir?
Jeffrey X: Gary, Gary, Gary, please don't put me on blast. I'm on your podcast. I will say words about this film. Iris, get me off to this crazy thing called beef.
Gary: See, I'm not sure if I've heard that or not, though, which is amazing, see. I didn't put on blast at all.
Jeffrey X: No, that's like, hey, dude, how are you doing?
Gary: Yeah, man, I'm doing fine. I'm glad to be, I'm sorry.
Jeffrey X: I was just saying, I'm ready to talk about this extremely strange film that I happen to love quite a bit.
Gary: Yeah, if you haven't seen it, we're going to spoil the hell out of it. So this is one of those from 1993. So I was 12 years old when this came out and I had the VHS. I watched it constantly on cable and I had an aunt who would scream at me, you know, when Mike Myers, his father, would scream at the kid in this movie constantly about giving his pants or whatnot. I don't know how to scream in the microphone, but you know, it is what it is. If you don't know, this film stars Mike Myers, it's Charlie Mackenzie and his father as well in this movie. Nancy Travis is Harriet Michaels, Anthony La Paglia, underrated actor in my opinion, as his friend, Tony, Amanda Plummer, as Harry Searose, the amazing Brenda Fricker, we don't appreciate it enough, I don't think, as May, Charlie's mom, Heed, Charlie's little brother, as put on Matt Doherty, may be known as Averman from the Mighty Duck series, and a barrage of comedic people that I love so much. Charles Groden shows up in this, David Mazer shows up in this, Steve Wright shows up in this, and of course, one of the best Phil Hartman scenes you'll ever see is in this movie. Pissing in these ocular cavities. Oh, so good. Bitch. Pissed in the bitch's eyes. This is directed by Tomash Shalami, I think it is. Kind of sounds like Salami, but probably, there you go.
Jeffrey X: Sure, we'll call him Tommy Salami.
Gary: Tommy Salami did many things for TV, like The West Wing and stuff like that, later on after this. Robbie Fox wrote this movie. He wrote stuff such as, ooh, don't say Granddaddy Dacre, that's fricking terrible. Why would that be in his top credits? That just sounds bad, you know? But not a lot, which is unfair. He wrote the story for In the Army now, which is a film I happen to enjoy too. Yeah, I'll kick attacks first, give us his general thoughts and before we dissect this mother, your history with the film and what do you think about it, sir?
Jeffrey X: My history with the film is kind of short really, cause I didn't see it in the theater. I really didn't see it until, God, not until I got married to Cudi, I don't know, 13 years ago, I reckon. But I will say this, So I Married an Expert is the most 90s movie ever to 90s. From the giant cappuccino cup tracking shot at the beginning to the constant usage of that There She Goes song, which I think shows up five times, maybe six in this movie, and maybe not even done by the same performers. This is the entire 90s in like an hour and 45 minutes. Like you could watch the entire series of Friends and it wouldn't be as 90s as so I Married an Expert. So if you're looking for a time capsule of that particular era, you've got it right here.
Gary: Oh, I'm sorry, you don't. Yeah, yeah, like I said, my history with this movie, I probably saw it pretty early for probably about 19, like probably when I was like 15, I saw this movie. So a couple of years after it came out, one of those rentals that got rented a lot. And I guess it came to HBO. I agree totally with the 90s thing is all over this movie, you know, right down to that. And I look this up, who does the cover of the Bay City Roller song, which is one of my favorite scenes in the movie where, you know, the parents are introduced and they have the Scottish Wall of Fame and just dusting it off while that plays. Shut off the Bay City Rollers, the soccer game's about to begin. You know, it's so good. Yeah, this is a film that I enjoy because this is a film that I watched before I knew what a relationship was. And now I watch it and I wasn't growing up and it kind of hurts my soul a little bit because me and Charlie McKenzie have a lot in common. I don't look for the worst in people, but you know, I look for the glass half empty in people. And you know, it's like what could go wrong? Am I the only law that really matters? It's Murphy's law apparently. But it's really weird now watching as an adult because in a lot of ways I agree with some of his logic. His logic is bad and so is my logic.
Jeffrey X: His logic is terrible and there are also a lot of red flags that he willingly ignores while pursuing Harriet. And that's interesting to me too. It's just like there are so many signs not to pursue this human being, but a lot of them were based on the weekly world news. And if that's not the most 90s thing in the world, that that's the catalyst for basically everything that happens in this movie, then I don't know what to tell you. Because here's the thing. Back in the 90s, the weekly world news was everywhere. You couldn't check out of a grocery without seeing the weekly world news in the stands next to the cash registers. And in fact, somewhere in a box in the shed, we have like a collection of the best weekly world news articles. And it's like, you know, Bat Boy and Hillary Clinton went to bed with an alien. And so did Bill. And it was just like this weird sort of free sub that the aliens had. And we never knew if anything was conceived out of that. But it was there. You had to look at that while you were buying, you know, Surge.
Gary: Yeah. Oh, gosh. Now, when I say like character flaws, and you're right, X, and what this film does so brilliantly is that, you know, this film is basically he sees this article in the Weekly World News, which his mother calls the paper. You know, she she she because that paper contains facts. You know, that's what she says.
Jeffrey X: That's facts. It's facts.
Gary: Oh, gosh. The Garth Brooks Juice Diet, man. Come on now.
Jeffrey X: Talk about the thunder rolls.
Gary: Yeah. He sees all this stuff. It's just this article that she does. She shows them and he starts to see all these things that have in common. She she has done, you know, she she's from Atlantic City. She she she keeps mentioning this person, Ralph, in her sleep, which is one of the guys that got killed by Mrs. X, as it's called. And this could be all coincidental, not be coincidental. What this film does so well is you really don't find out until the end, you know, spoiler, that is not Harry, that is her sister who was the killer because, you know, all these men were ready to take her sister away from her. You know, and this was her motive to be an axe murderer. Why she killed all these men. I just think it's brilliant that you're watching a film with less care. Would, you know, it be obvious 30 minutes in that she was a psychopath. And I think the rub works so fine in this movie.
Jeffrey X: And I think the thing that really redeems this movie for me is that third act, when it really becomes kind of an old dark house mystery. You know, when the killer is revealed and the innocent person that we thought was, you know, hacking people up left and right, they're locked in a closet. It really kind of degenerates into this 1930s, maybe late 20s sort of film. And I love that. It is so good. It's such a fun way to sort of resolve all the stuff that doesn't quite work in the movie for me. Because we're probably going to disagree on this because I know you said you have a lot of things in common with the Charlie Mackenzie character. I think he's the least effective character in the entire film.
Gary: No, I just mean like character traits. You know, I don't look for the bad in people, but I do look for the glass half empty situation. You know, what could go wrong here, you know?
Jeffrey X: Well, some of the things that can go wrong in this movie are the spin doctors on the soundtrack because why did that ever happen? And why is he playing with a Thighmaster?
Gary: Because it's 1993. That's my only answer for that.
Jeffrey X: Is the only answer. Oh, that's it. What does Charlie do for a living?
Gary: I hope he has some kind of day job. He's not just like doing like, you know, open mic nights at poetry places.
Jeffrey X: I was going to say, because I know for a fact, you don't make any cash doing beat poetry and open mics while drinking expensive coffee elixirs.
Gary: Yeah, the Cappuccino had to cost, the Cappuccino had to cost like eight bucks. I don't know, man, it looked like it would be $19.83.
Jeffrey X: I was going to say $19.93 money today to be like $75, and you might get some nutmeg on top of it, and that's it. There's a lot of indoor smoking in this movie, too. And boy, if that's not the 90s, I don't know what is.
Gary: You could probably still smoke on an airplane at this point.
Jeffrey X: He could smoke on an airplane. He could smoke in like a Perkins, get in the bottomless cup of coffee. It wouldn't matter. But what's funny about that is Charlie doesn't light his cigarette during his beat poetry bits, even though he's holding one. So like even during like the big say anything moment where he's outside of Harriet's window with his jazz band and his notebook and he's doing the poetry and all those things, he's not even smoking. He's just holding a cigarette in his hand for effect. Now, you could like he could have a laser pointer and it would be the same thing, except, you know, with a cigarette, you get fewer cats.
Gary: Hot headed harbinger of haggis.
Bo Ransdell: Come on now, you know, there it is.
Jeffrey X: This poem sucks.
Gary: I stand up for these reasons. I'm sorry.
Jeffrey X: It's like I'm just saying to me, this is the stuff that's kind of wonky because every other character in this movie, I absolutely love. I think Anthony La Paglia just carries this movie on his weird shoulders, those bits of him with Alan Arkin, where La Paglia is trying to get him to act like a 70s police chief and start yelling and making racial sources stuff. That is gold. Classic comedy gold. And I love it. And then all of a sudden there's solo asylum and then Michael Richards is here and I don't know why.
Gary: Oh, in the south side of the zone, they're both late now. They're both dead. Haggerty, last name. He was an overboard in everything else. He's the other guy in the newsroom.
Jeffrey X: Oh crap.
Gary: Mike Haggerty, that's the guy's name. But he's been in everything. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Jeffrey X: I can see his... God, was he an overboard too?
Gary: Yeah, he was Kurt Russell's buddy in that movie.
Jeffrey X: The sweaty carpenter that hates me. That's right. He was the guy with the panties in the glove compartment.
Gary: The panty king of elk snout, okay?
Jeffrey X: So how many times did you count there she goes in this movie? I swear it was six. And then there was that montage that felt like it had a lot of scenes that should have been left in the movie because they look cuter than the rest of the movie.
Gary: Oh, like when she's like, they're like buying the hot dog and stuff, you know?
Jeffrey X: Yeah, they're buying the hot dog and Rose, her sister is there and they're all laughing and having a good time and stuff. Also, did you not think that this was Amanda Plummer's one big chance to be Carol Kane and that never happened again?
Gary: She never really stuck the landing all the way, in my opinion. She was going for that. But yeah, yeah, yeah, I agree there. I mean, I love stuff that she's in. I mean, the dumb stuff she's in that I love the most, like fucking Free Jack. I could talk about, I could watch Free Jack. I know it's not a good movie, but you know, I advise you like ten times, you know, it traditionally isn't a good movie, I guess. I guess you would call it that.
Jeffrey X: Fair, whatever.
Cort Psyops: I think it's a great movie.
Gary: Oh yeah, I love it. It's probably, you know, something I turned on and, you know, it's a good sci-fi, you know, schlock. And there she goes, performed by the Boo Radleys, by the way. I had no idea who were saying that song, but it is like the Cranberries' Dreams song, which I cannot stand to listen to because it was used probably the most in the 90s in any other song.
Jeffrey X: That was pretty close.
Gary: This song and the Cranberries song are probably the trailer song of the 90s, I'd say.
Jeffrey X: It was Dreams, There She Goes, and The Spin Doctors' Two Princes.
Gary: Two Princes, yeah. Or Little Miscamp, you're wrong. You see The Spin Doctors, you hear those songs, you can't stand to hear Two Princes once again. You just want to play Pocket Full of Cryptonite on the radio, but they won't because I still really like that song. Oh, I'm sorry. Jimmy Olsen Blues is the song, and that Pocket Full of Cryptonite, that's the name of the CD you came on, which I fucking owned.
Jeffrey X: Right. Jimmy Olsen Blues is the one good song off that album.
Gary: It is a great song, man. Jimmy Olsen is getting good now. Let's write a song about it, you know.
Jeffrey X: Oh my God. OK, so I want to talk about Harriet for a second here.
Gary: Go for it, man.
Jeffrey X: So Harriet has been married, what, twice before, three times before?
Gary: Three times before. When she pulls the rings out of the powder, you know, which again, you're not revealed yet, but she has three rings on the chain, you know.
Jeffrey X: Right. OK, so she's got three rings for the dwarves and what was it? Eight rings for the tribe of men. I don't remember how that works. But my point is, if she knew that every other person that she had been married to had been mysteriously offed and left with a forged suicide note of some kind, why would she agree to marry Charlie? Doesn't that make her an accessory to murder? She at least knew she was putting him in danger. That's a very toxic flaw in a human being. Look, I love you. We should get married even though I'm pretty sure that you will be murdered horribly on our wedding night.
Gary: I would imagine that Rose hid the body from her sister because if she's leaving suicide notes and she's killing them with an axe, I'd imagine she's hiding the body somewhere and not letting the sister see the body. She may think that these men all rejected her or they just went somewhere else or something or they killed themselves or whatever the note says. If the notes were even all alike, you don't even know. I'd imagine that's the rub. Like, yeah, I guess they didn't love me enough yet. They're gone now. Kind of like, what was it? The American Dad episode where Stan decides his mother can't have a boyfriend so he keeps getting rid of all of them. She has the brilliant song with him about washing her in the bathtub.
Jeffrey X: Oh my God, I've seen that episode more than twice. Okay, yeah, you're right. You're right about that. That's funny.
Gary: It's not sad, but I'd imagine that's what's going on because if her sister was a murderer, she would know this probably.
Jeffrey X: It just seems like a lot of work. That's all I'm saying. It just seems like that's a lot of physical labor to chop and hack these people into pieces and then take them away from wherever hairy it was and bury them in hefty bags underneath an oak tree in a public park. It's just there's a lot of effort there, but I'm probably overthinking this.
Gary: Maybe not. Yeah, but they don't explain all that. And oh, by the way, you were not wrong in your assumption that there she goes, the same by two people in the two different groups in this movie because it was performed by the Boo Radleys and whatever the fucking laws are. Again, I don't know who these bands are. I just heard this song.
Jeffrey X: No, the laws were the ones who did it originally. The laws did it. The Boo Radleys did it. The Boo Radleys probably did it while sort of hiding in a closet in a child's bedroom. That's all I can figure. And then Six Fence and Under Richard did it later, but it didn't make it into this movie.
Gary: Yeah. I remember that just being very drab and I wanted to hang myself in the bathroom.
Jeffrey X: Oh, God, just with a terrycloth bathrobe belt just over the spring rod in the shower, just...
Gary: Six Fence and Under Richard recording that song whilst cutting themselves in the bathroom.
Jeffrey X: God, just bury me in a bowl of granola and be done with it. Oh, I'm so tired. Anyway, I'm sorry. I'm going off. Really, there's a film to discuss here.
Gary: Don't forget the Greek yogurt with that granola. Okay, you got to have both things.
Jeffrey X: That's right. You're absolutely right. What kind of demonic resort was that that they stated where they carry you to the honeymoon suite in a wicker chair? What kind of dirty dancing garbage is that?
Gary: Maybe some weird Scottish Jewish tradition or Scottish pagan tradition to where they lift them off in a wicker chair and then they throw them off whatever cliff and seaside area they're at and hope for crops, I guess. They pick a new leeway every year.
Jeffrey X: So, Edward Carman and Christopher Lee should have been there.
Gary: They pick a new leeway every year. They chose them, you know.
Jeffrey X: Throwing us off the hotel is not going to bring your apples back.
Gary: Hey, man, I'll say the greatest flaw of that movie. They should have flocked and that would have been the end of the movie right there. You know, like it's a real Mento situation.
Jeffrey X: Oh, you're not wrong. I've said that repeatedly. I really have.
Gary: How we should just got it wet, y'all, and that would have been the end of the wicker man right there. He's no longer.
Jeffrey X: It's not like he didn't have the chance. She was right next door banging on the wall like, come on, we can do this. Here's your out. And he's like, oh, no, can I get my wick wet?
Gary: He was she was singing like Charlie was singing to her at the window. I'll say anything like, but she was she was naked with her wonderful ass hanging out and her tips and just just making love to the wall or something. Mentos better, Mentos fresher.
Jeffrey X: I'm sorry. What movie are we talking about? Because I'm OK.
Gary: Bracklin's Sweet Ass, Part Two, I guess.
Jeffrey X: The only sweet ass we see in this movie is Mike Myers.
Gary: You see that? Yeah. You know, for a male butt, though, it's quite full. You know, so there's that, you know. If you ever want to see that.
Jeffrey X: It's toned. It's toned and firm.
Gary: It's very toned and firm, yes.
Jeffrey X: I just think it's funny where he's just like, I'm naked.
Derek: I'm naked, aren't I?
Gary: So good. I was like, it was by accident or something. You know, it's like we kept that.
Derek: You know?
Jeffrey X: I know, I know I'm ragging on it, but honestly, I don't hate this movie. I think it's sweet. I think there are a lot of things that are ridiculous, such as, oh, I'm having a hard time at the butcher shop. Why don't you come behind the counter and start chopping meat? No one would do that in real life, but if they didn't, then there wouldn't be that connection, that moment, and we sort of need that silliness to happen. And so to me, that's the thing. This movie is based on a lot of silly situations and connections, and then veers way off in the left field, almost to have like blackout skits, like why did they go to Alcatraz to meet Phil Hartman? There's no reason for that.
Gary: Because it's San Francisco and it's a magical scene, you know.
Jeffrey X: But they live there. Why would they be doing touristy things? I live near Pigeon Forge. I don't go to Dollywood. It's ridiculous.
Gary: Oh, oh, next time we go to Dollywood, I'll tell you right now, I don't care, you know.
Jeffrey X: Oh my god, Steve, you are going to hate it.
Gary: Speaking of audio cues, wasn't that butcher scene, which, you know, he explains that his father was a butcher, so he has some experience behind the counter, which I'd imagine is the only reason why you would let him behind there and work with cleavers and, you know, cuts of meats that he'd probably fucking ruin otherwise.
Jeffrey X: Look, I got some experience behind the counter, too. I ain't trying to go into a retail shop and insinuate myself.
Gary: You'll turn yourself into fucking Randy the Ram when he he jams his thumb and then the slicer for no reason, because some old bitch is bitch about potato salad. You know, that the see, I've been to the grocery store, I've worked there for a couple of weeks and I thought often about joining my thumb in the slicer, too, because some of these goddamn requests they make, too. So that but the audio cue is the song Rush for a Change is a song you heard in the 90s a lot by Big Audio Dynamite and this is, again, the most 90s movie you could think of because that's in there, too. So that's true.
Jeffrey X: You're absolutely right. And you were talking about the final cover of shit, what was the damn song? There She Goes, wasn't it? That was sung by Ned's Atomic Dust Bin. Yeah. And you've really got to be like a 90s nerd to remember Ned's Atomic Dust Bin at all.
Gary: That and Dinosaur Jr. and bands like that, you know. I love Dinosaur Jr. They did the cover of the Basie Roller song that you get in the credits. Yes.
Jeffrey X: And then for some reason, I don't know where there's like a toe of the wet sprocket there in the middle, just like, oh, my brother, I found you deep in my heart. It's like, put your shoes back on, Glenn Phillips. You are not welcome here.
Gary: Because it's the 90s. You got to have toe of the wet sprocket. I'm looking for the Bodines on the soundtrack back in. I find them, you know.
Jeffrey X: They should have been there. The Bodines should have been there.
Gary: Or somebody like that. Well, the Bodines are probably being at some festival this summer or somewhere you're going to go. They're still together playing tunes, as are the Spindockers, surprise me.
Jeffrey X: The Bo Deans, the Jayhawks maybe, the Rembrandts. The Hooters. All things. Oh, I love the Hooters. I listened to their album like two weeks ago. It still holds up really well, despite the weird sort of I'm playing a recorder that has a keyboard on it for no reason. There's a name for that instrument. I don't know what it is. It doesn't matter. God, we are digressing. We're not just digressing. We are deltaing. We were on the main river and now all of a sudden we're where Victor Crowley lives.
Gary: If you don't know by now, we don't plateau. We just go up and down. We get together. If you don't like it, I guess just get used to it. I don't know.
Jeffrey X: Just go forward until I stop talking.
Gary: I think the important thing to address, all of Charlie's flaws are not really brought on by his mother. She's a very doting person and very horny, which is fucking hilarious when she's all in love with Tony, Anthony La Paglia's character, to the point where she's grabbing on his ass and fucking really laying in with that kiss. Because he's a sexy wee bastard.
Jeffrey X: If you can't handle Brenda Fricker, he is. But if you can't handle Brenda Fricker at her horny-est, then you don't get her at her Mike Lake-iest.
Gary: The whole thing is, you'd think that she'd be like catalyst for Charlie's the way he is.
Trailer: Real mama's boy. Mama always said he's the best thing ever, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. He's not Latino, for Christ's sake. And luckily for me, my mom's was a lot more nurturing for all Latin moms are, because all Latin moms treat their sons like little Latin kings. And that's where we get that macho shit going to the max. And my mother was no exception, because since I was a baby, my mother would be like, I'm me, you are the center of the universe, puppy. You are all things to me, learn to share. Thank you. And remember me, remember any woman that fucks you will probably fuck somebody else, okay? And you don't wanna marry a whore, no. No, because no woman is good enough for my little Latin king.
Gary: No offense to Latinos out there, but you're afraid. I'm sorry.
Jeffrey X: Right, well, you're afraid of commitment, the not wanting to get married, the whole thing. He's very shy. And you would think that that would be because of his mother, but they've been married for what? 40 years, something like that, 30 years?
Gary: Yes, it's 30 years, I think, because they had their 30th anniversary in the movie.
Jeffrey X: So that's impressive to me, because I guess there's not really any filmic explanation for why Charlie is so standoffish and afraid to love. To love, he is afraid to love. His boundaries remain high. He is guarded, and we don't know why.
Gary: To be to the point where you're going to die.
Jeffrey X: No, I was going to say, could it be because in himself, he believes that his head is gigantic?
Gary: That's his brother's head that's gigantic, come on. It's like Sputnik for Christ's sake.
Jeffrey X: I was going to say, maybe Charlie's afraid to love because he's afraid that he makes a rancid stink in the bathroom. It's possible.
Gary: I've taken some big shits before, dude, and I'm not going to lie to you. You know, my bowel movements were strong sometimes, but I never thought about, you know, commitments in that way. I'm sure if I lived with somebody for, you know, 20 some years and you actually cut one in the bedroom, I'm sure they might accept your gas and they might tell you to get the fuck out. I don't know how you and cootie work, man, but I imagine, you know.
Jeffrey X: My entire thing is that about Brenda Fricker being horny was that when you look at that bathroom scene where Mike Myers is washing his hands, he's flipping through the weekly world news. One of the books that you can see in the bathroom on the rack is called The Women's Room by Nancy Friday, which came out like in 1977, 78. But it was all about the sexual fantasies of American housewives. And it was huge at the time. It was controversial because nobody thought that women actually had fantasies, especially American housewives. It's like your fantasy is about mopping, okay? You should be wanting to do starch on my collars. And that's it. So this book being right there in the bathroom, it's not only necessary reading, but it's convenient reading. And that says a lot to me about Brenda Friedger's character in this film. She's pent up, boys.
Gary: She wants to get it, man. But Stuart Mackenzie can't give it up because he's too busy screaming about sausage and stuff and his son's a massive head.
Jeffrey X: Sausage and what does he call it football? I mean, what does he call it football? He calls it soccer. And that's weird to me. I guess that's the American influence because he should say there's a football game on it, not a soccer game on it.
Gary: I imagine they've been in the country for quite a while and they've adapted to that kind of lingo in American society. One of the things that is, one of the greatest things about this movie is the conversation that Stuart has with Tony on the couch about the Pentavarate, and I'll tell you why. Because it's amazing, first of all, that to see six major things run the entire country, including the newspapers, and one of the best things I have not watched yet, and I imagine it's insane. The connection to this movie is they made a six episode series called The Pentavarate on Netflix, that has Mike Myers as this journalist who is investigating the actual Pentavarate that is discussed in this film. So I'll have to go into this one day.
Jeffrey X: I have not seen that. That's hilarious.
Gary: So they go that far to make this, and I really enjoy him playing his father in this movie when he's just screaming at the brother or screaming at Charlie, you know, or when he's fucking singing and dancing. And of course, the classic, when they're at the wedding and he's singing the Rod Stewart song. Well, the second Rod Stewart song of the movie he sings, because when he's just drunk during the one and he's singing, do you think I'm sexy with a live bagpiper? And the piper falls over. Don't worry, he's just pissed.
Jeffrey X: And the best thing is he sings the Rod Stewart songs with the incorrect lyrics. I take that back. It's the correct lyrics at the wrong time. And that's how you know he's just constantly drunk and it cracks me up. That character is one of the best characters in the film. And again, I go back to my original point. Every other character in the movie is someone that I like better and identify more with than Charlie because they spend so much time getting close up, full frame shots of Myers smiling or laughing or going, hello, which I swear to God, if I was in a relationship with somebody and they said that all the time, I'd be cracking skulls. I would be punching them in the jaw so it had to be wired shut and they could no longer make that noise. But everybody around Charlie, like his circle of friends and family, perfect, absolutely love.
Gary: You see, he's kind of a douche bag and again, you don't know what he does for a job. He could just like, you know, be living off the government tit or something. I don't know. Oh gosh, he could be.
Jeffrey X: Let me say this though about Harriet and her apartment. There are a lot of house plants. She has an abundance of house plants. She has a closet with a glass door and on this railing, like that divides the top floor from the bottom floor, there are feet. They're like mannequin feet. And I don't know how to feel about that. Like I want to be impressed while at the same time, I'm sort of terrified.
Gary: I'll say it again, it was 1993. You're living in this fucking new Bohemian fucking art fetish bullshit to where somebody would put mannequin feet on the bottom of a flower pot and say, call it art, you know.
Jeffrey X: Well, I'm not aware of too many things. I know what I know. And I know there shouldn't be feet in your apartment, but that's just me, I guess. You set me up, you opened that door. I waltzed right through it as I should.
Gary: Did you waltz right through the shallow water though?
Jeffrey X: Before I got too deep, you better believe I did.
Gary: You see, we did it, that's called alliteration or something, people. You know, it's a beautiful thing. It's just a man. Yeah, I really dig it though, for all these reasons mentioned and all of its flaws. And I think the flaws, you know, our child, like I said, he's like the most not likable character of the film, but for good reason, I think it's written that way. I think it's written brilliantly for you not to like this man. I mean, I think last year we did, and this is much worse than this movie in as far as the narrative goes and as far as the character goes. The only time I ever hated Joseph Gordon-Levitt in anything was not because it wasn't a good performance, but as a character was 500 Days of Summer, which, you know, Summer lays out right away. Zoe Deschanel's character, that she's not looking for a relationship, but he's constantly looking for a relationship. Now, Harriet in this movie is kind of doing the same thing. You know, she she's been hurt before by these three other people. She doesn't talk about it. So when he, he brings up the, he casually says the lines of, you're the best husband I ever had. She goes, oh, what do you mean by that? Like he knows something and she thinks that he knows something, but she's not sharing this information. Whereas in the other movie, it's laid right out. Like, I don't want a relationship. I just want to fuck. And he's like, but I want a relationship. I told you, motherfucker, I just want to fuck.
Jeffrey X: That's fantastic. That is such a great comparison because like you, I really hate Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character in that movie. He's a human fire blanket. He just smothers any spark that could possibly ever happen between the two of them by being awful. Yeah, that's dead on. Well done.
Gary: Yeah, I really dig it though. I dig everything and the Phil Hartman thing, it's a real small thing, but Phil Hartman had a real small thing in a lot of things and it just makes you miss some more him telling, just him being this Alcatraz guard, telling this story about Machine Gun Kelly and them taking a bitch and cutting out his eyes and then pissing in the ocular cavities and then switches right to this way to the cafeteria. It's like, yeah, who wants to eat now after that? And there, well, not Tony so much, but Charlie is kind of so into himself at this point and she's so infatuated with Harriet that it's like, yeah, I'll go eat a hot sandwich after somebody talks about pissing in somebody's ocular cavities. It's just sign me up.
Jeffrey X: See, and I think that that third act, and I've probably said this before, but that third act redeems everything else in the movie. The chase across the rooftops where Charlie gets hit in the balls at least as many times as they play There She Goes in the movie. It's incredible. It's really funny, but it's tense and it makes up for the multitude of weird avenues that the script takes before we get to that point. It's almost like they wrote the movie backwards. We have this idea for a great ending. What kind of weird shit can we do to get to this point? And I sort of love that because I've been known to write stories backwards myself. So I can't be mad about that. And I think that the last 20, 25 minutes really bring the movie together and maybe not ties it exactly perfectly with a bow on top, but it's extremely satisfying and I dig it.
Gary: Well, you get resolution for Harriet who realizes what's going on now. She realizes what's going on now with her sister and why she wasn't the problem, because the whole film is about her being rejected and her being afraid of rejection. And Charlie, who's the exact opposite, rejects everybody he sees up to the point where he broke up with the girl for smelling like soup. This was an excuse. Yeah.
Jeffrey X: Doesn't even say what kind of soup. Like it could have been French onion. Maybe that's acceptable, but just soup in general. Just a chicken base. Just...
Gary: This is a reason to break up with somebody for them though. And that's really fucked up. But them being paired together and of course in the end, coming together is having this murderer catalyst as a linchpin to where, okay, not like I trust her, but it's still in the back of her brain like, this guy thought I was a fucking killer. But then again, she had a reason to think that way. And yeah, she realized that now and yeah, it really comes back to the last 25 minutes to get all that. And you get Charles Grode and Steven Wright as well in that last 25 minutes.
Jeffrey X: So good.
Gary: I had the strangest dream, man. I was born and I was born eight months premature or whatever he says. Steven Wright.
Jeffrey X: And just Charles Grode waiting like, I don't know, six, seven beats, just to be like, no. It's just the best. His timing was so wonderful. What a great actor.
Gary: Yeah, if you ever see Midnight Wrong, which is another film I'm sure, I will choose my brother to talk about because it's a very important one, this and I think.
Jeffrey X: Midnight Run and Albert Brooks' real life. To me, that's the best Groden V is real life.
Gary: Best Groden. You know, I was just introducing Groden. Fucking Beethoven was my first Groden experience. So that just proves I'm a nineties kid that I saw Beethoven first.
Jeffrey X: It got better from there.
Gary: No, I take that back because my sister had VHS and she wore the shit out of The Incredible Shrinking Woman, but I didn't realize that was Groden back in those days. So I guess my first Groden, when I realized he was a Groden was that, was Beethoven.
Jeffrey X: I like Incredible Shrinking Woman. It's very eighties and that's perfectly fine. What did you think about seems like old times?
Gary: I've never seen this before. So one of these days it's on the shame list, you know. That's it.
Jeffrey X: I need to watch that again because I remember not liking it, but you know.
Gary: This is Chevy and Goldie Hawn, right? Yeah.
Jeffrey X: But you know, as you get older, you tend to appreciate things more like, I don't know, fine wine or tomatoes or Johnny Mathis. So maybe, maybe I could go back and look at that movie now and think, oh, well, there's Charles Grodin and everything is fine.
Gary: We'll just look for characters.
Jeffrey X: I feel that way. Yeah, I feel that way about most natural disasters. Like if just, if I can see terrible things happening and then just see like a still photograph of Charles Grodin, then everything is fine. And I can motivate myself from that to actually do positive things in a very slow and measured manner.
Gary: It's like, wait, it's Chuck Heston here? It's all better than, see, you know. In a cinematic realm, not in a crazy Republican gun-toed realm, but you know, there was a time, there was a time, children, in the 1970s and probably somewhere in the 80s that we believed that Chuck Heston could save the world. And yes.
Jeffrey X: It was the ascot and the rifle combination.
Gary: Oh yeah, it works. It totally works.
Jeffrey X: It's like decades, you get that, you know, the moon over Miami, you get the scarf, you get the rifle, you get some hash browns, Charles Heston can do anything.
Gary: Oh man, what about some grits with that breakfast man? Come on now.
Jeffrey X: Don't even start me on restaurants that don't serve grits because they deserve to be burned to the ground.
Gary: Oh man, any final thoughts about this movie you want to talk about while we keep on plateauing and going back down again? None of this is being edited out, by the way, people. I don't even give a fuck, but here we are. Shoot, brother, go ahead.
Jeffrey X: So I married an expert, or it doesn't particularly work on a rom-com level because it's romantic in a very, I don't want to say deficient, but a warped sort of way. And the comedy is, branches out like the veins in your brain. Like the spinal column comes up and that's solid. And then it just shoots all over the place. It's a weird sort of comedic sequences that have nothing to do with the rest of the film. But if you can hang with it and get to that last 25, 30 minutes where they're on their honeymoon, I swear it all comes together and it all makes a sort of non-lucid sense. And it's totally worth watching just because of that. And it's a movie that I could see the flaws in, but one that I absolutely love. And I don't know why I don't watch it, because I should and we all should because it's fantastic.
Gary: Yeah, let's see how old I am now. This is 1993, 2003, 2023. This is almost 30 years old people and I'm old. So there you go. And I loved it 30 years ago, I love it now. For all of its flaws, for all of its, Foybles or what not, Foybles is a good 90s word, see? It does, much like this film.
Jeffrey X: Foybles is great.
Gary: Yes, it's a 90s word for a very 90s film.
Jeffrey X: This is Aesop's Foybles.
Gary: This is Aesop's Foybles, yes indeed. You know, he's going on a quest to go find the nookie that he's always not really deserved and that's Charlie's fatal flaw.
Jeffrey X: Is that he does it all for the nookie?
Gary: He does it all, well yeah. So you can get that cookie and sit and get up here, yeah. See, that's the chocolate starfish and the hotdog flavored water for you right there. And you get all of that in this movie. I think I'm trying to give a corn reference, but I'm not going to go there. It's fun, if you've never seen it before, you can find it in many, many places. Digital, DVD, Blu-ray, HBO Max currently apparently, according to IMDB here. Go give it a watch. I think it's some of Mr. Meyer's finest work. I choose this over Austin Powers most days, although there are some jokes in Austin Powers that are making a wonderful ensemble film. This is a wonderful ensemble film. If you ever want to watch Brenda Fricker, who most people would know as the pigeon lady from Home Alone 2, get all horny and stuff and be funny as hell, go check this out. God, Brenda Fricker. She said some shit that I love that's real garbage, like Masterminds with Patrick Stewart and Angel's son from Angels in that movie.
Cort Psyops: That's a good movie.
Gary: It's not though, dude. It's just Toy Soldiers with some tech in it. That's all it is.
Cort Psyops: I've watched it.
Gary: Again, just like this movie, I watched it. HBO many times.
Jeffrey X: Charlie is a freak on a leash, but it really takes the thought of losing Harriet to make Rose bad.
Gary: Yeah. All these things, you know.
Jeffrey X: This was your fault for not corn. I'm just going to be over here in the corner. That's fine.
Gary: See, I did there. I took X one step closer to the edge and then he broke.
Bo Ransdell: I cannot take this anymore.
Gary: Now we're in Lincoln Park territory. See? Oh my God, I'm done. This is 90s and all. It's just spilling all over the show and I'm fine with it.
Jeffrey X: It's fine. It's become the Hot Tub Time Machine episode and that's okay with me.
Gary: We will do this again though very soon. I miss you and you know this, man.
Jeffrey X: I miss you too. I've just been super busy. Hey, I have an idea. Let me tell you where you can find me if you are so inclined to do so. Golly, I'm the senior editor of Biff Bampop and I read a weekly column about wrestling called Around the Loop, which you can read every Saturday. I write lots of books. I still write lots of books. You can find those on Amazon through St. Rooster. You can find them digitally through Godless. And guess what? I got stuff coming out this year that I can't. Thank you They're all secret, but it's coming, and when it's ready, I will let you know. Hi, how are ya? There she goes.
Derek: There she goes again.
Gary: There she goes again, yes. There he goes again, oh my gosh. But yeah, I'm hoping that this past Valentine's Day and you got your partner, that cheap posy from the drug store, got you some nookie, so you can get that cookie, and we're doing it again. But that's the end of this. Do all those things that X told you to do, and yeah, we'll be right back with something else for you.
Trailer: Could I have your name, please? Hack, Marilyn Hack, stage 11. You were in that prison movie where you punched that little girl in the face. Marilyn Hack made quite the splash for her portrayal of Imogene the blind prostitute. You know what they say about blind prostitutes, you really have to hand it to them. We can cut that out, I know where I got that. I'm your agent. There was nothing more important to me in my life than you, excuse me. Victor Allen Miller, the venerable Broadway veteran best known as Irv the Footlong Weiner. Now starring in the Sunfish Classics feature, Home for Perim. Where the heck have you been? Aren't you nice? Well, actually I've been teaching in... Well, that's a rhetorical question. And action. What kind of girl doesn't want to be the nice fella? I did meet a nice fella. Her name is Mary Pat. Am I just going to miss sugar? Mama! And cut! I want you to add something from the bottom of your woman to make it a... Tone some of the themes down a little bit. How would that be? Just tone down the Jewishness so everyone could enjoy it. But no. What does a producer do? Lots of paying for sometimes ridiculous things, like... like snacks. Somebody brought up the idea of there being a possibility for an Oscar. For Home for Poorum? The Internet, that's the one with email, right? Yes. I think you're looking at an Academy Award nomination also. I think you need your 7-Eleven. Yes, Victor! Oscars. I smell Oscars. You see what a little buzz can do in this town? I predicted it. I said, this is the one, this is the vehicle. Morley, you told me not to do it. I hope you like it as much as we like doing it. Someone's killed their children and made them into cookies, and I want to go see that. Uh-huh. Follow me around in circles. And we saw. You're Debbie. You're Brian. He's just close from the A-list. In every actor there lives a tiger, a pig, an ass and a nightingale. You never know which one's going to show up.
Gary: Hello, folks. Welcome back to the show. I'm here with many, many guests and I'm very excited to tell you who those guests are because they'll be the guests who are here for both of these reviews, one of which is Mr. Cort Psyops. How are you doing, sir?
Cort Psyops: I am doing excellent, Gary, and I'm glad that we could finally get this to work out to where we can talk about the final Christopher Guest or the latest Christopher Guest film for your Beef-aversary.
Jeffrey X: Did I say that right?
Gary: Yeah, he's the last two. Yeah, you said it right, for sure. The eighth or ninth year. I forget which one it is. Whatever, man. I don't do these anniversaries very often, but with me, he does lots of shows, but he's my partner. And we're going to get this going back on again, from Blood from the Core, your Legion Patreon show. Mr. Derek Bourgeois, how are you doing, sir?
Derek: Gary, it's been a while, you know. And it's great to be here to talk about not just one, but two movies and one I liked better than the other.
Gary: Fair enough. And Suzanne, you heard from from MW in this show. She's here as well. How are you doing, girl?
Suzanne: I'm doing great. I'm happy to be with my three favorite podcasters.
Derek: Hey, Suzanne.
Gary: I'm telling her.
Cort Psyops: Sweet, I made the cusp, the cut. I got the bronze.
Gary: He said cusp. I'm telling the Lord, you know.
Cort Psyops: I meant to say cut, but, you know, that Delta 8 is a real bitch.
Gary: Man. I'm telling Iris on Suzanne, too. She's in sunny California right now, hanging out and stuff. So she's getting it in.
Suzanne: That's why she's not my favorite podcaster right now.
Cort Psyops: Gosh.
Gary: I think it's going to be OK. But the next one.
Cort Psyops: I got the bronze.
Gary: The next one up in the the Beefiversary Christopher Guest oeuvre, if you will, is for your consideration from 2006. This has a lot of your usual cast of characters that are in these movies, including Catherine O'Hara, Eugene Levy. I might go to the whole cast list because these are the ones that you've seen. I'll name some new faces though. Rachel Harris shows up in this movie. John Krakinski shows up in this movie. Sandra Oh shows up in this movie. Richard Kind, which I'm surprised to see this long, for him to show up in one of these movies. I've always liked that actor. Scott Adds that you may know him as Pete from... Was it Pete? I forget his name. From 30 Rock. I could be wrong on that name, but he's also Baymax from Big Hero 6, so love that shite y'all. Oh yeah. Oh, Ricky Gervais shows up in this movie. Craig Bierko, great character actor, shows up in this movie. I love that guy, because I can see him in something funny, and I can watch Long Kiss Good Night and watch him be this fucking bastard. It's just, it's amazing, you know, the versatile actor that Craig Bierko can be. Basically, this one is a film about making a film, and it's kind of like Guffman in a way, because they're making this prestige film, and there's a rumor that some of them may be up for awards, hence the title, For Your Consideration. I'm going to kick it to Derek first and ask him his thoughts on this film.
Derek: Yeah. I, the thing that kind of took me out of this movie is because I actually was a big fan of like a lot of his other movies before this one came out, was it's not a mockumentary at all. It's, it's pretty much just, it's more in a film style, which is kind of weird because it's trying to be a mockumentary at times, but it's not supposed to be because they don't really follow the people around and Cameron is actually film scenes, if that makes sense. But it still has some funny moments within it. But it just took me out of it. You know, it's pretty, it has some good moments within it. You know, some of the Acton's characters that we love in these movies are great. But overall, it just, it just felt weird that this, you know, he took a step back from mockumentaries and made pretty much just like this pseudo about making a movie. But I can see probably the kind of message that this movie is trying to interpret with that, in that sense, you know, and, you know, it's just some weird things. We're like, you know, I don't even give a shit about the Oscars really either. So it's like, I don't give a fuck if these people get nominated or not. You know, but overall, it still has enjoyable moments. It's probably on my bottom of the Christopher Guest pool of films, but it still has some interesting moments to it. But yeah.
Suzanne: Cool.
Gary: Suzanne.
Suzanne: You know, this one I don't enjoy as much because for me, I think this, there are moments of this movie that I find uncomfortable. I don't usually when they do the after everybody is thriving. And then when they were doing the, oh, let's go take a look at the, those that weren't nominated. And I feel Catherine O'Hara taking out 20 bottles of vodka because I feel there are some parties that I have where I'm having a cocktail party for 87 people and she's all about a bottle of bottles. I just, this one, I don't know. It just doesn't, he's going for that movie within a movie. And I think the only person I actually enjoy in this movie is Harry Shearer as, oh my goodness, his name Victor. And he just takes everything as tried. He just, he's a commercial actor and he gets this great role. And I just, I felt truly bad for most of the actors in this movie, the way that they were portrayed. It was just, I found the movie to be incredibly uncomfortable. And me, I'm once again, don't give a shit about the Oscars. I did watch them this year and I got to watch fucking Will Smith's slap Chris Rock. So, you know, hey, there's something to be said for that, but I just, I can honestly say, I just don't enjoy this movie the way there are moments that are funny. There are moments that are, you know, there's a few glimpses of genius in this, but I just, I don't enjoy the movie. It's kind of mean spirited where everything else he's done has been, you know, kind of done tongue in cheek and light heartedly. This one is not. And I have to admit it, it bothers me a little bit.
Derek: Yeah, it kind of bothered me too. I agree. That's what I mean. Like, you know, it's like the movie itself, it's like you're following these people, but everyone else is treating them like shit, especially at the very end of the movie where they do like the three months after thing. And it's like, what the fuck?
Suzanne: Yeah, he went for an almost Oscar to pimping the fucking hula weights, you know? And it's like I said, this one just seems to me just to be a little mean spirited. Cort?
Cort Psyops: I always forget this movie even exists after I watch it. I just fucking can't even believe that it just gets out of my brain, pretty much. Mostly, I would have to agree with what Derek and Suzanne have said. The only thing that I would really add is it seems like right after A Mighty Wind, he got a lot more money thrown at him and decided he was going to stop doing what he was doing. And perhaps all the stuff in A Mighty Wind was so upbeat. And for the most part, everybody ended on such a high note and a happy thing. And that show was just this big grandiose, almost like that toothpaste commercial that they were making fun of it with, that he took the left turn that he did to do for your consideration because he was almost sick of making everything so sweet and saccharine from A Mighty Wind. And he just got mean spirited for a movie. And thankfully, he came out of that.
Gary: Yeah, this is probably the most dank of all the movies. And like Derek said, it's not a mockumentary like the other ones. They really don't give you the time to get to know these characters a lot much. All you know is Catherine O'Hara's character in the film. Marilyn Hack. Marilyn Hack is like this aged movie star who doesn't do a whole lot more than what she's doing now. This is like her big, her latest biggest thing where she plays the aged mother who's dying. So that real prestige role. Harry Shearer is known to be like the hot dog king or something like that, something along those lines. Yes. So he's known for this commercial stuff. And he's never even known to be this big actor. And these two up and comers, again, Parker Posey as Callie Webb, she has the most to lose from this really. And she loses with the rest of them because the whole idea of them getting excited for this possible nomination because somebody mentioned it and then the news magazines started mentioning it so they get more and more excited. So when it happens, they get up early at 5 a.m. and they don't get nominated. She's just, she's Chris Fallon the most, I think, whereas Marilyn Hack falls into alcohol and apparently plastic surgery before that because that's one of the bad things I don't like about this movie is seeing Catharine O'Hara in that light where she's all botoxed up and you know, whatever, she looks like she's a mess, you know? Yeah. But that's more of a look than anything else, but there are some shining points to this movie. Jennifer Coolidge and, oh, whoa, whoa, whoa. What's the guy's name? No, no, yeah, well, he's great too, but yeah, the Ricky Gervais stuff, him having the idea that to change, because nobody knows it's Jewish holidays, so they make it Thanksgiving. The whole pitch of that would be a real thing in like a room full of creative people. And he really brought some table with that. Miriam McCormick in the bootleg Pilgrim Woman trailer was hilarious.
Suzanne: She's an actress that I've always loved, but she never gets any recognition. She was in this great show on USA that I cannot remember the name of.
Gary: Oh, I know the one. I just can't think of the name, but yes, you're right.
Suzanne: Same.
Cort Psyops: What, Silk Stockings?
Suzanne: No, she was a US Marshal and they basically put people into witness protection.
Gary: Covert Affairs, maybe?
Suzanne: I'm going to find it, so continue.
Gary: That's okay. Now, Ricky G. Ray shows up in this and there's some other fun stuff. Of course, Fred Willard hamming it up with Jane Lynch on this like Entertainment Tonight show. Those are probably some of the best bits of the movie is with those two, of course, because they're just-
Suzanne: In plain sight.
Gary: Yeah, okay.
Cort Psyops: In plain sight. Yes, there we go.
Gary: Because they're just- You're okay. They're just comedy people and I enjoy their shtick, especially when they're together. But one of the biggest faults of this movie, there's a lot of them, is that you don't get a lot of cats on her hair and you even let me do stuff together. They're separate and I think it hurts to film. You know.
Cort Psyops: They are such a great comedy duo. All you have to do is put them in a room and film them and you've got funny. That's it.
Derek: Yeah.
Suzanne: And you know, the thing is for me, the one thing that always holds a Christopher Guest movie together is Fred Willard. He's literally the gopher from Caddyshack that brings everything together. It's just, he's just a little thread through the middle that everybody pulls to. And he's great as the morning show, entertainment, tonight host, but he just, it seemed like he was, it just, it seemed like he was wasted there. I mean, him and Jay Lynch were hilarious together.
Gary: They were the best parts of the movie. Yeah. Oh my gosh. Well, we're talking bad about this film and not in the worst way, but this is the bottom of the barrel, probably for all of us. But I'm going to kick it back to Cort and anything else he'd like to say about this particular one before we move on to something else and we'll just give one to ten.
Cort Psyops: The first time I watched For Your Consideration, I didn't even know it was a Christopher Guest film. Until it ended up on this list for the Beef Reversery stuff, I didn't realize it was a Christopher Guest film. Like I said, I watched it, I forgot about it, checked it out again to be able to do the shows. It's just there, it just exists. It's a movie, it's nothing to get super upset about. But in the oeuvre of someone that has been so brilliant as what Guest has been, something to be this far down the line, or the level of the hierarchy, for it to be this just okay and mediocre is a really big disappointment. So it's just a five, really, out of 10. It's just okay. It just exists. If you got the time that you want to waste to watch it, that's fine. But otherwise, there's not very much stuff to really sink your teeth into and enjoy. And like Suzanne said, it's really fucking mean-spirited. And I have a really hard time getting over that. Yeah.
Gary: And you're not wrong. This is the only one that really feels not like one of his films, but it has all the people in it. So it just seems like it's kind of laze there. It's kind of a waste in a way. And I hate to call that all these wonderful actors wasting your time. It just doesn't work.
Derek: Even his fucking character in the movie is shitty.
Gary: Yeah.
Suzanne: He looks like a racer head. I mean, I'm sure that was completely done on purpose. Maybe he was trying to hide his appearance, but yeah, it's just, it just doesn't, it doesn't work.
Gary: Suzanne.
Suzanne: Now, honestly, I agree with the thought. I mean, there are, there are points here that are really funny. And my problem is the majority of it is not fun to watch. The only magic that truly happens is Fred Willard and Jane Lynch, but they do go about it in a mean spirited way. Oh, you were nominated. So how do you feel today? I mean, that is just cool. And I found it incredibly difficult to watch the last 20 minutes of it. And I know he was probably making an attempt to make fun of older Hollywood actresses and over-botoxing, face lifting. But I think that just made it worse. I just, like I said, there are a few shoddy moments, but I truly just don't enjoy this movie at all.
Gary: I get it totally.
Derek: Derek? Yeah, it's definitely a five. It's, it's just mean-spirited and kind of boring. Even like some of the comedies that don't even hit sometimes with me and, you know, you know, I gotta agree, like the Fred Willard stuff is pretty great, but I agree that it's also kind of goes way over the top and mean-spirited at the very end of the movie, you know? And I would say I like them in the movie. I actually did like that Eugene Levy actually played an asshole character for once, as we were, because in the last few Christopher Guest movies, he usually gets fucked, you know?
Suzanne: Oh, God, that he was just such a terrible agent.
Derek: Yeah, he was such a dick. I like it.
Suzanne: I don't think he, the thing is with Eugene Levy, once again, he was so barely there, I barely have a chance to talk about him.
Derek: Yeah, I like it.
Suzanne: He was just kind of there.
Derek: Yeah, and it's fucking, you know, I love the scene where he's like, he smells the bagel, while he's eating at the end. He's like, he gives us a slug, but anyways, yeah, I like Harry Scherrer in the movie. He's pretty great. And that's about it.
Gary: Yeah, it's a five for me too. I mean, like what they said, this is bottom of the barrel for many, many reasons. And I always commend folks for making a movie. But when you make a movie that you're seeing a whole other way, when you try something different and it fails, it just sits there. And this film just sits there. So unless you're a real completist of these movies, I wouldn't recommend it. So we did the top six. This would be on the bottom for I'm guessing most people. So yeah.
Derek: Yeah. And I just wanted to add one thing before we leave this review is the most fucked up. The thing that made me more angry watching the movie is because of my old DVD actually stopped halfway through the movie. So I actually had to fucking rent this. So I actually had to rent on Amazon to finish watching the fucking movie. It happens.
Suzanne: That happened to me in Black Belly of the Tarantula.
Derek: I'll admit though that actually the Amazon I should have just rented at the beginning with it because the DVD kind of looks like shit.
Gary: Well, that's it for this one. The next thing you should hear in the show of this Beefiversary episode would be myself and Ricky Morgan with Crippled Theatre with 1986's Wired to Kill. Talk to you guys in a minute.
Trailer: Mascotting is not unlike a marriage in that it's about cooperation. It's about listening. Even if people are screaming at you, you're not allowed to talk. And that's a good lesson for a marriage. Hundreds of mascots wanted to compete in this year's competition. We finally narrowed it down to 20 finalists. Danny the Donkey, my mascot, was the first one to have an anatomically correct costume. You know, I was overcompensating, classic overcompensation. I'm Alvin the Armadillo. I went to the Fluffies five years ago. I got honorable mention. That's like first place, really, but it's a weird first place. My name is Tommy, also known as the Fist. A lot of people say I'm the bad boy of sports mascottery. To be fair, I am currently serving six temporary suspensions. I announced the gold category. I wrote a book and I got more applause than I did. Did they make you this size just to fit in the worm costume? No, they made me this size when I was born. Oh, I see. I thought maybe they shrunk you down or something. Tell me everything. This fascinates the hell out of me. She's a pencil. Emotions. Benny the Banana Slug failed his drug test. Yes. No, yes. We have a drug problem and we got a sex problem. Hey! Mascots, they don't die. They just hang in a closet. Yeah, because they're... It's an outfit. It is. It's an outfit. I'm crazy about you. That's really sweet. I'll take that over some guy, you know, defecating on my head. A new dark age. A barbaric time, after the great plague. A new American reality, in a desolate land. To this imperfect world, came evil, wearing a human face. Came courage, forging an unlikely hero. And came destiny, resolute to innocence. He's just sitting out there waiting. In the face of oppression, they became inventive, methodical, cunning, lethal, wired to kill. Now is the time of anarchy. No creed of honor. The only art is the art of survival. In their quest for survival, they found the ultimate truth. Frankie Schaeffer's film.
Gary: Hello, folks, once again, this is part of the Beefiversary. This is Crippled Theater. I enjoyed, once again, by the guy you know from The Helming Power Hour and so many other projects. Hopefully, coming back soon again. I would love it, man. Ricky Morgan is here. How you doing, sir?
Suzanne: Yep, yep. Oh, man, it's always a blast to be back on here with my good friend, Gary. So, you know, it don't really matter what the subject matter is. It's just gonna be fun.
Gary: Yeah, this is fun in a way. We'll get into it, you know. It's a strange flick. This time, we're on Crippled Theater. I chose, Ricky didn't choose this. I took a chance, a film I never heard of before, and sometimes it works out. Like, I listened to a podcast about Stone Cold today, the one with Brian Bosworth. Oh yeah. The We Hate Movies episode. They'd never seen it before, and it was like a fucking revelation to them. And I was like, as well it should be. There's a helicopter flying out of a window, a motorcycle flying out of a window and a helicopter in that movie, and it is one of the most irresponsible and amazing stunts I've ever seen in my life. And you know. Man oh man, we're doing Wired to Kill, though. This is also known as Booby Trap from 1986. That fits the movie more than anything else.
Suzanne: You know what, I think that works better, too.
Gary: Yeah, if you think about it. This is written and directed by a guy named Francis Schaeffer who made like three other films, and one of which sounds pretty spectacular. I'm gonna look for it because, let me click on it right now, I'll tell you what it is, before we get into this movie. Oh, not that one. Ah, known for, where's the directing stuff? Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Oh, here's the one, The Headhunter. It's a film where the plot synopsis of a Miami cop finds out his wife is a female lover. He begins to have an affair with his female partner. Meanwhile, a voodoo demon from Africa arrives among Miami's Nigerian community and begins decapitating some people and possessing others, including the cop's wife.
Suzanne: I've seen this one.
Gary: Oh, really? Really?
Suzanne: Yeah, I had no idea it was the same director.
Gary: Title card says, Black Magic, Pure Terror.
Suzanne: Is it like 91, something like that, when that came out?
Gary: 88, it says here. Yeah, probably filled 85 with what knows. I wanna see it though. I just kinda do. Yeah, that's about it that guy made. But this one, your plot synopsis says, in the near future, law and order breaks down, diseases, violence and immortality are rampant. However, one Christian, why does it say Christian? Young man decides not to show the other cheek anymore. He modifies his wheelchair untrue to help him protect his home and family and kill the thugs first. See, that's what gets you excited about this movie, but not a lot of that happens in this movie.
Suzanne: No, that's way more description than I ever get through the entire film, so.
Gary: He doesn't even do his wheelchair. I'll give you the, my plot synopsis of this movie. Basically, a plague has wiped out a bunch of people and these two teens who are living together with the mother and the grandmother. One's, I guess, an aspiring robotics person and musician. The other one's just kind of like a homeless drifter. I don't know what these kids got going on. It's very strange. But anyway, this is-
Suzanne: I'm trying to figure out, were they boyfriend, girlfriend? Were they cousins? What was the deal here?
Gary: I think they were just friends, I think. I think, yeah. It's really strange. But basically, a plague happens, it kills a bunch of people and it brings about gang activity. So you're looking at like Mad Max and suburbia, which you're either in for that or you're not in for that. And I'll say this right now about this movie. I've seen films go this way in this kind of stuff. I'm talking to like Prayer of the Roller Boys, stuff like that, that are worse than this movie because it gets bonkers in parts. I'll kick it to the cast. Emily Longstreth as Rebecca, who's our female lead. She was in stuff like Pretty in Pink. She's all over the 80s. She was a girl on roller skates and hard bodies, y'all. Come on, now. Devin Helscher, he's not in much. He plays our male lead, Steve. Merritt Buttrick, who you will know from stuff, plays Regus, who's our gang leader with the sunglasses on. He plays Captain Kirk's son in Star Trek II and III. He's in Fright Night Part II with Charlie Brewster's buddy. Most importantly, to 80s nerds like myself and Ricky here, he played Johnny Slash on Squared Pigs.
Suzanne: Yep.
Gary: So, but he was on, he was in Zapped as well. He's in a whole bunch of stuff and stuff worth your time, I think, especially Fright Night Part II, I think.
Suzanne: Oh yeah. So here's my take on, you were giving your synopsis. Here's my short synopsis of it. I described this to Danny, you know, the other guy from Hale Ming earlier about this movie is basically RoboCop, but you take RoboCop out of it. Cause all the bad guys are basically the same bad guys. It's almost like in Spaceballs, when they capture the stunt doubles.
Gary: Yeah.
Suzanne: That's kind of what you got here. This gang is the stunt doubles to everybody who's in RoboCop.
Gary: It even ends at Sordo's Foundry. They're like a junkyard at the end of this movie.
Suzanne: Yeah.
Gary: Where they hang out.
Suzanne: Where they hang out, it looks just like where Clarence Botterker and the bunch was. So yeah, that's kind of my takeaway of it. No, and it gave us the near distant future of 1998.
Gary: Man.
Suzanne: For a second, here's my honest opinion. This is the 1998 that I wished for, besides the one we got where the band Sugar Ray is around.
Gary: Man.
Suzanne: So that's the one I was hoping for that was in this movie, so.
Gary: But they just want to fly, dude. Come on now.
Suzanne: They do.
Gary: This film features a young tiny Zeus Lister as Sleet, like Regus is number two, and has a guy called Sly, who's played by a character actor that you've seen in everything called named Frank Collinson. This is the guy that rides the motorcycles, got the big teeth hanging out to Ricky. He's been a lot of stuff. And if you see the guy's face, you'll say, hey, I've seen that guy. Oh, you know where you've seen him from? If you've seen our brother, Rourke Thou, he plays John Totoro's cousin Wash, the one that churns him in at the very beginning. That's the guy he plays, but he's in a whole bunch of stuff. Kim Milford is a name you might not know. If you've seen Laser Blast, he plays the bully churned superhero. I mean, the bully churned superhero in that movie. He plays a character called Rooster in this movie. I love Laser Blast. It's got everything you want in the movie. It's got, you know, gnarly look at aliens who are stop motion. This kid looks like a Frankenstein because he gets a laser, alien laser device attached to his arm and oh, you got, you got, oh, what's his face? Eddie Deason is a bully in that movie. You never get that ever in any movie. Let's talk about this, man. Because the whole synopsis is bullshit because basically these people, this gang invades their home for no reason whatsoever. You know, busts up the women, breaks our male leads, both of his legs. He's forced to be in a wheelchair. Doesn't sue about the wheelchair. But the whole crux of this film is he's all in the robotics. See, he builds us this robot that's like really, it's like the fallout of teenage films because he builds stuff from spare parts. But the problem with this movie is they go for the whole post-apocalyptic angle, but the neighborhood just looks like a shadier neighborhood than the one I live in now.
Suzanne: Yeah, I mean, it looks like just the outskirts of suburbia. You know, it's like, why would they pick this house, you know, to raid? I mean, are they just that bored?
Gary: They bust in the windows. And that's one thing, the real strong point about this movie is that the gang is pretty cool in their actions, but you know, because Merritt Buttrick is the reason to watch this movie because he's just, he's chewing the scenery. His acting is not great, but his bad acting is keeping you in it.
Suzanne: Let's just say that Zeus came a long way too, man.
Gary: Zeus came a long way, you know, with his, oh, I have to get into this because the whole reason why this gang is after them further is because they do the stupid thing. Like they got this bloodthirsty gang of dope fiends and dope sellers. Let's go file a police report against them. And their whole idea is they're going to hold their house hostage and them hostage and, you know, wait for them to break this police report and hilarity ensues. The unintentional should be laughing at. There is a part in this movie, Ricky, you know, talking about where the old lady is walking, she's walking down the street, the grandma by herself in this supposedly terrible neighborhood. And then our homeboy on the motorcycle, the guy with the teeth I mentioned, you know, Sly, just maces her in the back of the head. Now, I laughed out loud. I shouldn't have laughed out loud. I know you can just slant in the back of the head, but it was just so freaking random, just like everything in this movie.
Suzanne: Yeah, and the fact of you have to show him like licking the blood off the mace after he does it. Really?
Gary: So random. I'm blowing up the speaker here. Tell us what you think about the movie.
Suzanne: You know, it wasn't my favorite of the three that we've done for this. It's been my least favorite. It's got a few moments in it. The robot that he builds is basically like a reconnaissance robot that you're going to use to remove a bomb or something. I mean, it looks just like something like that. It's just four wheels and an arm that sticks out with a camera on it. And you kind of get bored with that part because they try to use it way more than it's useful for. And, you know, it seems like they should have come up with some more creative ways, which would have leaned more to the booby trap idea. There's one scene that I'm sure that you'll bring up too, which had to do with the motorcycle seat, how they pay back the dude for killing grandma. But you know, it's got some pretty fun moments. It's worth watching if you like this time period of films. But again, like I said, it is basically the setting of RoboCop, the same bad guys, same kind of tyranny going on. You just don't have RoboCop. You got a dude with robotic legs. For some reason, when they break his legs, they give him like robotic legs instead of, you know, just a cast. And, you know, he programs robots and he plays music that sounds like the intro to every Oingo Boingo song.
Gary: Yeah. This is brought to you by the Radio Shack Casio Keyboard Company, the soundtrack, well, his soundtrack, because I think the actual soundtrack, you know, besides the out of place saxophone beginning of this movie, I think the electronic soundtrack is not that bad for a film like this. It's kind of like better than it deserves actually.
Suzanne: Well, like I said, it's when it kicks in, it's all the it's all the you know, synch the painted you know, keyboard riffs and that kind of stuff. So it's all like I said, it sounds like the beginning of, you know, half your Oingo Boingo songs towards the end of the career there, and which is fine. I love Oingo Boingo, but that's just what it reminds me of every time I expect to hear, you know, Danny Elfman start, you know, start ripping some lyrics in there.
Gary: I think the biggest disappointment about this movie is, is that you expect it to go some places. I mean, you got this Steve Kidd, who's apparently an expert on building stuff out of nothing. He finds junk and he makes his computer systems, he can make his music. He finds junk to build this robot. You think that when they had like that flatbed truck, you think that he would have had like an 18 moment just build some shit for like the destruction of these people that are terrorizing them and then it could have went another way because there's a point in the house where his legs are broken, you know, grandma's head got bashed in, mom got kidnapped going to look for grandma and here she gets her back broken by these people and then.
Suzanne: They just chase her in the car. I mean, it's like, you know, we've got nothing else to do. Let's just, you know, chase her around and run her into something and smash her real flat, you know.
Gary: It's like she crawls out of the wreckage too. Like yeah, there's no way she should have lived through this, but you know, she's like, I'm going to live so you could never, ever see me ever again, except crawling out of this heap of rubble, you know, saying I'm all right now. I'm still good. You know, but he has this point in the script where he's, he's talking to, to, you know, Rebecca. He's like, she's like, we got it. We got it. Like, we got to get out of here. He's like, no, this is my home. I'm staying here. Now you think you would have had like some gumption to like build some home alone traps or like, right, anything because he can build a lot of things. He's a, he's a electronics expert apparently.
Suzanne: Full Wes Craven mode, right?
Gary: Yeah. This kid, this kid could have built some electronic shit for these windows. He could have built some, some filthy fucking Death Wish 3 traps in this house for these bad guys as they come in, you know? I mean, let's get a fucking spike to the balls. Why not? It'll happen. But no, they leave that plot, they leave so much as laying on the floor in this movie. You want it to happen so, so bad, but it just, it doesn't go there.
Suzanne: And I think that's the problem with it. Now, probably when this came out, that whole concept was probably newer than it is now, which we grew up with, Home Alone and all this stuff. So that's where your mind instantly goes of, you've got all this ability, like you said, why are you not building this stuff? But no, we're just going to depend on my remote control robot.
Gary: But they had the truck outside, dude, with nobody in it.
Suzanne: Well, and then they finally do decide, hey, this truck that we've got from them, let's put a bomb in it and we're going to conveniently drive up to where they hide out and conveniently catch them all together in the same building at the same time. That scene cracks me up when they run the truck into there and it blows up because they're all inside. It looks like this kind of water tower looking thing. How do they even see the truck coming? How do they know that there's something wrong with the truck because it's just a truck heading their way, but they're all responding like, no, and it ain't even got there yet. How do they even know it's a bomb or anything? That's just one of those things. I was like, yeah, they're screaming and they don't know why.
Gary: That's the only reason why they should be murdered because they've been inept this whole time, that their whole plan is reconnaissance with this robot. They're putting trackers on the trucks, you know, there's the whole no-tension seed or she drops the batteries out of the remote and yeah, and of course she gets kidnapped by good old Regus there and is forced to read Shakespeare for no reason at all. I guess to put on a show for the men.
Suzanne: Yeah, I guess they had a bunch of bombs sitting there, you know, just clapping and stuff like where these people come from.
Gary: He's sleep told them to get their dirty asses down there. You know, Regus is going to put on a show. You better listen to good old sleep there and then do what you got to do.
Suzanne: How about the total recall moment with when the girl gets kidnapped by the cheap Ruger Hauer guy and he tries to rape her and he pushes the button for she said she wants some music played and he pushes the button and then like his eyes pop out of his head just like, you know, the Arnold scene.
Gary: One of the great parts of this movie is this special effect that should not be in this movie, but it's there, you know, it's awesome.
Suzanne: I mean, this dude is a terrible person and he's going to give her a request because, you know, in order to be, you know, savaged, you know, she's, you know, hey, can you at least play me some music?
Gary: You know, oh, man, yeah, and you know, they're, they're, they're constantly, constantly making upgrades to this robot because I forget where they get money from, but they get a bunch of money from somewhere. Oh, they, they steal it from, from, from Regus' crew and they buy, they buy a bunch of guns and bullets that don't go anywhere because they say, hey, let's make another attachment for this robot to where you can hold a pistol. They don't explain why.
Suzanne: Why would you make an attachment to hold a pistol? Why don't you make a gun that actually is part of the robot, you know, instead of it going, going around and holding a pistol like it's in its hand, you know?
Gary: It just, it's all, it's all, it's all reliant on this fucking worthless robot that gets, it gets blown up real good by Sleet because it's basically a little bit of metal and some plastic, you know, that's all it is. And he gets real excited when it happens to, you know, like, I got, I got, it was his again. Everybody's like, what the hell is it? Or something like that. And, you know, they had no idea what it was.
Suzanne: That's what's funny too, is because everybody reacts to this thing when they see it, like when it sneaks up on it, because you get the POV shot from the camera that's on the robot and they're like, oh, and all I can think is in Kentucky Fried movie, when the gas is a toy robot and he jumps out the window, it's the same thing, it's like, can't you just kick that thing over? Yeah.
Gary: You know? It has like, it looks like, you know, if you were to cut up an aluminum can and make wheels out of something, except it's like plastic, you can crush this thing with your foot and then it won't move no more.
Suzanne: But you get all these baddies going, oh, oh, slide, the guy gets blown up on the motorcycle.
Gary: He has. That's pretty good now, it was pretty good, but he has a great moment in the hospital where he sees the robot and then the robot grabs it by his dick and then, you know, that's already been damaged. It's already been damaged. So, you know, it's just, it's crushing his penis with this small little, cause this arm isn't very big to begin with. That is, I'm not sure if we can grab a man's penis, but you will believe that this robot can grab this guy's penis cause it's just, you will believe a robot can grab a man's penis.
Suzanne: That should have been the tagline in this movie.
Gary: Make it real Superman-esque, you know. You will believe that robot can grab this guy's penis. Hilarious, hilariously.
Suzanne: That's for Mississippi.
Gary: Hilariously, it will. Yeah, see, I think what this is going for is the soundtrack and, you know, how cool a few of the bad guys are because they really, they really bring it down, you know, when you get these two milquetoast leads who should be doing a lot more. You could blame it on the script. You could. They blame it all on the script because, or the budget even, I don't even know. But they could have been doing a lot more with this kid who is an expert at building things. Yeah, let him build some more shit. You know, go totally 80s, go totally off the wall.
Suzanne: Right. Yeah, I mean, this is the 80s. This is the age of the montage, right? I mean, you know, you've got the music to do it. Why not have him build a bunch of stuff? How about the crazy scene when the girl calls home to her dad's like, Dad, I want to come home. And he's like, I don't think you need to.
Gary: It's nothing. Because this whole explanation of why she ran away from home is that she couldn't get along with the stepmother. So she had this whole scene in the movie, you know, where they could have been had a scene of him building some shit. Her saying, stepdad, I want to come home. Things are getting real bad here or something. You know, she doesn't explain anything. She just says, well, you know, it's just you guys are incompatible or something, he says. And yeah, her and her and the stepmother do not get along, apparently. And that is the plot point of this movie for no reason whatsoever.
Suzanne: It's pretty weak.
Gary: You had to give her a reason why she was living with Steve. Come on now, you know. Oh my gosh. Yeah, the ending is what it is, you know, they soup up the truck sort of to make it explode into their area. You know, once Rebecca is safe, of course, because she's kidnapped by Regis by now and forced to reach Shakespeare. And of course, Regis survives the explosion. He comes back to her for another. Yeah. I forget how he dies. He does die though.
Suzanne: You forgot how he dies?
Gary: Yeah, I forgot how he dies.
Suzanne: This is the biggest, oh, come on moment in the movie. This is where you do have a different kind of booby trap because there's a gun laying there on the side, a pistol, and it's got a barrel or a scope on it. And when he busts into their house, he grabs the gun and goes to shoot them. And when he does, he shoots back and shoots him in the face.
Gary: Oh, they pull the surviving the game bit. They always check the barrel thing, you know.
Suzanne: They actually, he actually rigged the gun to where the shotgun shell they put inside the scope that's pointing back to the guy. So when he pulls the trigger, instead of shooting forward, it shoots back at him with a shotgun blast.
Gary: Let's explain where he is in this situation. He is at plain, blank range to kill these people. Why would you need a scope on a shotgun? Come on, Regas, you're better than that, you know.
Suzanne: I mean, what's the chance? I'm just sitting here thinking they spend all that time. He spent all this time working on this one gun, hoping that when the bad guy shows up, he doesn't bring his own gun and he'll use this specific gun that's sitting here, you know.
Gary: That's a lot of assumptions there, Rick.
Suzanne: Yeah, there's a lot of engineering that went into that hypothesis of it working, so.
Gary: Now, Rebecca, she should have been raped nine ways a Sunday by Regas' men, but it doesn't happen.
Suzanne: It doesn't happen and they have her like four or five times. And she screams a lot and they grope her maybe a little bit. They grope her, she gets groped less than the girls that were at the 99 Woodstock that got passed over the crowds during crowds and stuff.
Gary: Oh, man. There's so many films that are like this, like this. They're trying to be post-apocalyptic. This, Prayer of the Roller Boys I mentioned, which features another blonde actor who looks kind of like Barry Butt Rick, but not really. Class in 1999, but that works as robot teachers. There's so many films like this that work so much better because they know what kind of film they are. This film struggles in that way to not know what kind of film it is in certain points because you're waiting. But like you said, there's not a lot of movies that say, okay, this kid's smart, he's going to build some shit. You know, you had this movie. You had, you know, the final act of Nightmare on Elm Street, where she's setting booby traps. But this film has so many plots for us to say, okay, is he going to fight him in the house? No, he's not going to fight him in the house. Is he going to do this? Yes, he's going to go fight him there. But how is he going to do it? With this stupid five pound robot. It could have been so much better. And that's the biggest part about this movie that I don't like.
Suzanne: Yeah, I mean, seriously, one good, you know, leg sweep would have took this thing out. And not even hard, it could have been, you know, dude's grandma that kicked it and it would have been done, you know. So yeah, we put a whole bunch into this robot that really isn't that awesome when you see it.
Gary: Deleted scene, grandma walks by the robot and breaks its leg. Sorry, sorry, Stevie, I broke your robot again, you know.
Suzanne: Oh, man.
Gary: Oh, yeah, I think it's worth your time. It's on YouTube. It's like an hour and 26 minutes. It's a VHS rip, unfortunately, but it's really cool to see that lightning video insignia pop up.
Suzanne: And I'll tell you, man, when the logo of the movie come up, it's a wire to kill. I'm like, you know, this logo would be one of those things that if I was, you know, back in the day, I'd want to watch this just because of the way that looked. And much to my disappointment of a lot of VHSs I rented back in the day, this one would fit right into that bunch of, yeah. But I'll still watch it three or four times, right?
Gary: Well, yeah. Yeah, it'll sit there like if it shows up on cable or something or like a USA up all night, which it may have very well been on one of those things.
Suzanne: Oh yeah, I think so. What I love is all the comments on YouTube underneath this movie and how many people are saying, this is my favorite movie of all time. I'm like, really? And I learned a long time ago from a good friend that you don't want to diss a movie too much because every movie is somebody's favorite movie. You made a very valid point. But when you say this one is your favorite movie of all time, there's a problem there.
Gary: I think it's poised for a Vinegar Syndrome release. For all the actors that are in it and the place it does go, I've seen a lot worse releases from them. And if anybody ever picked this up, I wouldn't say that I'd buy it. Maybe if it was on sale or something, I'd buy it. But not full price, going nuts like I did when The Cloak and Dagger Blu-ray came out. I gotta have it today. Makes sense. But this is good enough. I've seen worse films like this.
Suzanne: Oh, sure.
Gary: I'm gonna kick it to Rick and ask him, what do you give it out of 10, sir?
Suzanne: Out of 10? I'll give it a 6.
Gary: Yeah, it's there. It's slightly over the middle of the road for me, too. I'll give it that 6 as well.
Suzanne: Like you, it had some disappointment in it because there was a lot of potential there. It just didn't quite deliver on it. But it wasn't bad crazy enough for me to give it even higher score. It was just kind of meh, you know?
Gary: Yeah, it is what it is. That's Wire to Kill, though. It's available for your consumption on YouTube. If you look at the IMDB, there's some tasty behind the scenes photos for no good reason of this movie. And the kid working on the robot and Merritt Buttrick just sporting those suspenders. Oh my gosh. It's so good. It's so good for those reasons. The holes in the script, yeah, it needed more. But I'll leave it at that. I'll leave it at the chance. Thank you very much, Ricky, for enduring this picture with me. And we'll be right back with more Christopher Guest fun.
Trailer: Who are you trying to reach? I don't know. I think you've got the wrong number. Do I? I'm gonna hang up. Wait, don't hang up. What's that noise? Popcorn. You're making popcorn? Uh-huh. I only eat popcorn when I listen to podcasts. I'm about to listen to a podcast. Oh really, which one? Probably the podcast on Haunted Hill. Is that the one with the two guys with the beards? Yeah, Dan and Gav. Most episodes, they look at two different horror movies. Each episode, they look at a world of the strange, where they look at weird things from around the world. Sometimes they even do special episodes where they look at different genres or directors' discographies and talk about them. Maybe. Well, you could goto legionpodcasts.com, Facebook, Twitter, or just go into iTunes and search for the podcast on Haunted Hill. So you could ask me out. Mascotting is not unlike a marriage in that it's about cooperation, it's about listening. Yep. Even if people are screaming at you, you're not allowed to talk. And that's a good lesson for a marriage, you know? Hundreds of mascots wanted to compete in this year's competition. We finally narrowed it down to 20 finalists. Danny the Donkey, my mascot, was the first one to have an anatomically correct costume. You know, I was overcompensating, classic overcompensation. I'm Alvin the Armadillo. I love all kinds of dance and I can hip hop, I can pop. I went to the Fluffies five years ago. I got honorable mention. That's like first place really, but it's a weird first place. My name is Tommy, also known as The Fist. A lot of people say I'm the bad boy of sports mascottery. To be fair, I am currently serving six temporary suspensions. I announced the gold category. I wrote a book and I got more applause than he did. Did they make you this size just to fit in the worm costume? No, they made me this size when I was born. Oh, I see. I thought maybe they shrunk you down or something. You can tell me everything. This fascinates the hell out of me. She's a pencil. Emotions. Benny the Banana Slug failed his drug test. Yes. No, yes. We have a drug problem and we got a sex problem. Mascots, they don't die. They just hang in a closet. Yeah, because it's an outfit. It is, it's an outfit. That's really sweet. I'll take that over some guy, you know, defecating on my head.
Gary: Ah, welcome back to the Beef anniversary of the Guestiverse nature. I am back with the same three guys you heard last time, Mr. Cort Psyops, Mr. Derek Bourgeois, and Ms. Suzanne Cappelletti. We here to discuss, 10 years later in the timeline, Netflix exclusive, you guys have Netflix, you guys can watch this, no problem. It's Mascots from 2016, written, directed by Christopher Guest. It has many of the same faces you saw before, but here are some new faces that you may not have seen before in these other movies. But you're normal ones, Jane Lynch shows up, of course. Notably, Christopher Guest comes back as Corky St. Clair from Waiting for Guffman. I have to mention that right away, because it's random. And Parker Posey may be her character from Guffman, because it's a different name. Maybe she changed her name. I don't know, we'll discuss that too. But some new faces that you may know, if you watch the IT crowd, you'll know Chris O'Dowd. Comes out as The Fist, Tommy Zuccarelli, as one of the mascots. Oh, some fun shit in here. And I'm gonna get right into this with these guys. Suzanne, what'd you think of mascots from 2016?
Suzanne: Mascots was a mixed bag for me. There were some great moments. There were some not so great moments. For me, it's Tammy the Turtle and her husband. And they are taking out all of their problems in their mascot suits. This shit is hilarious. The Fist is my favorite, but I'm a huge hockey fan and I'm all for people getting the crap beat out of them.
Cort Psyops: The Fist is pretty awesome.
Suzanne: The Chris O'Dowd, everything I've ever seen him in, he's just, he's great.
Cort Psyops: Yeah, Chris O'Dowd's a joy.
Suzanne: He is. He's great. I will actually watch Bridesmaids just because Chris O'Dowd's in it. The IT crowd, Gary got had a coffee cup. They had a, and we tried turning it off and turning it back on again. I giggle every time I see it.
Cort Psyops: You know, I do love just a little sidebar here. I absolutely love the IT crowd for putting that in people's heads after they've watched it because there's actually been a marked improvement on helping people troubleshoot things because they said, I did try to restart the computer, like right off the bat, whenever I'm trying to troubleshoot software now, it's fucking brilliant.
Suzanne: Thank you Chris, no doubt.
Cort Psyops: And then the creators of IT crowd, absolutely, yes.
Suzanne: But my problem, once again, you have interesting characters. My big issue is the fact that there's too many of them. You don't really get enough backstory. You don't, and that was like, you know, the beauty of the other movies, you get a good chunk of backstory. This one falls short because there's so many people. And once again, we're just hitting that point where it just seems like it's style over substance. I feel like with maybe half the cast, you really could have made a great go of this movie. You know, keep Tammy the Turtle, you know, keep the plumber, cause the plumber was hilarious. And once again, Fred Willard talking to, God, I can't remember that comedian's name. And he's like, oh yeah, let me go down into our tunnel. I'll blow the horn. That was fucking hilarious. That is probably the funniest bit in the movie. But this movie, once again, it just suffers. The Parker Posey, I have to admit, I got some issues. I, you know, at the very beginning of the movie is like, well, you're up for disqualification because people find that to be insensitive. Yeah, I mean, I know it's, this was even before everything, it pisses everybody off. So you have to be completely politically correct at all times. But I mean, there's good points and bad points. I'm not gonna sit here for 20 minutes and go off, but I think it suffers from too large of a cast. It seems like his little cameo as Corky St. Clair, it was kind of a, look, here I am taking Netflix money. I just don't think this one was completely thought out. There's too many holes in it for me. There's too many characters, there's too much going on without actually doing anything. It's just a, for me, it's more like a talent show. And I'm just gonna leave it there. Cool, Derek?
Derek: Yeah, it's a little messy, I'll agree with that, but I actually really enjoyed this one, actually. I just like, you know, I just didn't know that there's like this, like, you know, this thing where they do like a thing where they say who's the best mascot in the world. It's kind of interesting that aspect, because I never knew this was it. And my fucking favorite moments is when, you know. Oh, it's great. The fist is my favorite because, you know, I've seen this like a few years ago when it first came on Netflix. And I forgot that, you know, when he sticks the, I just started dying laughing when he sticks the middle finger up. And you just see the judges are only Ed Begley Jr. is the one enjoying the fucking act at all. Yeah, offensive. I like it. I just love that backstory to that. He is a actual anatomically correct on.
Cort Psyops: Well, and the reasoning that he did that is because he's overcompensating for a micro penis. And then he starts talking about like how people get into having ear sex because he has a micro penis and shit. And the side eye that Jane Lynch gives him during that is fucking brilliant. It's really funny.
Derek: It's great. And yeah, I actually kind of agree that the scene where they take her and try to disqualify her, I see what they were doing it because a lot of that was happening during that time period where, you know, like, you know, like the Cleveland team and even the Washington team were kind of again, scapulated for the same names anymore, can we? Isn't it still Washington football team?
Suzanne: No, it's the commanders now.
Derek: They actually got it.
Suzanne: I'm like, and the Cleveland guardians and I'm sorry. I think it's straight up bullshit.
Derek: Yeah. Are they going to like retually actually change major league?
Suzanne: Apparently they are.
Derek: Are they George Lucas produced?
Suzanne: Oh God, if they do, I give up on films. I will never watch another movie. That's bullshit.
Cort Psyops: But yeah, the blue right now, they're not going to change the gray. It's sitting in your house.
Suzanne: Yeah, it's been there for a while.
Derek: You know, but overall, yeah, it's a little messy, but overall, this is a good return to form after the last movie you did. You know, it's in the mockumentary style. It has the interviews and the turtle and the octopus that started fist fighting. I was cracking up.
Suzanne: That is one of the funniest scenes in the movie. And Fred Willard and I can't stand the fact I forget that comedian's name. Like, yeah, I'll just go blow the horn and we'll meet in our fucking borough. Like, oh, my God. I just love you anyway.
Derek: And I just like the acts, you know, like even like the performances were interesting. You know, like the plumber one was great. Even the armadillo is weird, but I like it. I love those reactions of the audience. They're like, what the fuck?
Suzanne: I mean, I have to admit the armadillo complete with tire tracks, which Cort pointed out the other night. I'm like, you know, I've seen that move. I've watched it three times. And yeah, all I see is tire tracks now.
Cort Psyops: I think they were supposed to be scales, but they just look like they were tire tracks. Yeah, like she got laid over by tire tracks.
Suzanne: I'm going with tire tracks. That's my story. And I'm sticking to it.
Derek: I just like those parts of it the most, like the actual performances of the mascots. It was actually interesting. And even like the hedgehog one where he's just climbing, you know, it was just good performances from being a mascot, you know? And, you know, they were great. And this movie, it's a fun return to form for Christopher Guest. Yeah, he's just playing a cameo as Corky. But I kind of like that, you know, it's in the same universe as Guffman too in that sense. Ooh, like, oh, these movies are, this is my, you know, it's the Christopher Guest-verse, you know?
Suzanne: The Guest-verse.
Gary: Cort Psyops.
Cort Psyops: I will admit that everything that Suzanne and Derek had to say, negative about the film, I kind of felt and was thinking the first time I watched it. Now, because scheduling didn't quite work out for us to record this when we wanted to, I did take another look at this last night before going to sleep. And I will say that the second time around, I found characters more engaging and I was actually able to latch on to certain stories. And I think, similar to, like, a documentary-type movie, you can follow the individual interviews and pay attention to the certain people that you want to and follow their story and actually enjoy it a lot more. I paid attention this time very seriously to The Hedgehog because I was blown away by that performance and I made sure that I didn't say anything about it because I wanted to see if anybody else mentioned it. But that latter stunt work was super entertaining and was ultra cutesy and so fucking British. And the tea stuff and, like, he does everything that his dad always wanted him to do. And then he added his own little thing at the end. And the latter thing, I actually, when he fell over forward, the first time I watched it, even I was like, oh shit, like, I thought they were going to do a thing where he's actually going to get hurt. And then it turns out that's actually part of his routine. He had that set up. And I was like, oh man, that fucking worked on me. I'm like, this guy's a great mascot. And the second time that I watched it, I'm doing the same thing where I'm really enjoying it and I really had a great time with it. Now, granted, I still absolutely love The Fist because yes, I too am a hockey fan. And basically The Fist as a mascot is like the embodiment of the enforcer. And since those days are gone, seeing the mascot basically be an enforcer, he's literally The Fist because that's what the fucking enforcers were for hockey. The routine, I can't believe nobody else mentioned this, but my favorite part of his routine is he goes running off with the referee chasing him. And you think the referee like ejected him from the auditorium or whatever, and that's the end of the routine. And the next thing you know, there's another like guitar fucking hit with an explosions. He comes busting through the divider that actually has the competition's name on it, which I don't think he was supposed to do from the look of the way the judges were kind of upset about it. Takes a doll that represents the dead body of the referee.
Derek: Plats it right on the table.
Cort Psyops: Right in front of all the judges and then spins around and does the middle finger pop because he's not there to win a fucking trophy. That's not what that's about. He's there to show the crowd that he's the best and he fucking wins it in their hearts. And that's all he cares about in his own head. I fucking love that part too. So the story with the hedgehog, I want to come back to that. I was following that this time and I found it very, very touching because the father wouldn't let the guy be the hedgehog he wanted to be or the mascot that he wanted to be. He kept trying to make it rooted in the tradition because the tradition is very important. And the not listening and the not communicating and the way that they grow as a family is really, really great. And if you actually remember that storyline and you enjoyed it, I want to tell you that is very similar to some of the things that happened in the Christopher Guest series, Family Tree. Now, there's a lot of people that are in this movie that were in that series, Family Tree.
Suzanne: I thought that I was the only one who watched Family Tree.
Cort Psyops: I actually really liked it. I found it very touching and endearing, but it's not for everybody because it's a hangout kind of TV show where you follow Chris O'Dowd as he sort of like learns his genealogy of where he comes from. And he's a British man who apparently has an ancestor that comes from like the west of America. And it's really bizarre and interesting.
Suzanne: It's an interesting journey. I honestly forgot about it until you mentioned it, but I really enjoyed that.
Cort Psyops: Well, what I would basically recommend to somebody is if you've seen Family Tree, then I think you would actually enjoy Mascots if you haven't given it a chance. And if you've seen Mascots and you thought it was pretty okay, but you like that hedgehog story, you would probably be a bigger fan of Family Tree for sure. And if you're just a fan of Chris Endowed in general, you get to follow him around and he gets to be a sensitive guy. And it's one of those like awkward comedies where he's learning about his past and who he is. So there you go. But back to Mascots, by the end of it, whenever the father and the son reconcile with the stuff, with the hedgehog and then, you know, he ends up actually winning the trophy and he becomes the number one. I really, really love that. The complaint that I actually have about the competition stuff is if you're going to tell me that three mascots are one, two and three, the best out of all of them across this whole globe competition, you better show me all of the routines of the ones who win. I want to know what happens with the rabbi and the worm, because we don't get to see enough of it. That's so true. For it to be number two, we should have been able to see it. Now, a nice explanation would have been Harry Shear basically saying that due to certain actions or whatever, the fist has been disqualified. And so that puts the worm up, or Joe the plumber and the worm up, or whatever it is. But you should have, whoever your winners are, we should get to see all of their routines so that we can also judge for ourselves.
Derek: Yeah, for sure. I agree.
Suzanne: And I agree with you 100%.
Cort Psyops: But I do also love the fucking duking it out where the mascots are fighting. I think it would have been great if they would have had a little model city that they sort of started stomping on to be all kaiju-ing it up while they're fighting. Yeah. I think that would have been fucking great. I really do. But that's just because I always want to see fucking people in monster outfits stomping on city sets.
Derek: I hear you there, man.
Cort Psyops: But anyway, yeah, that's basically my impression of it. So I think if you guys give it another watch, and I tried this for your consideration, but it didn't work for me. And mascots I watched specifically for this show both times. And the second time around, I think I really enjoyed it more. So I think like coming into it with that perspective of just following certain people that you did like and seeing their story, and or maybe giving somebody else's story a chance if you like noticed that you didn't really recognize them from before. It helps because yes, there is a lot of fucking people. But I think he did that on purpose where he had the money, and he's like, you know what? I want to give everybody I fucking know a job. So I'm okay with that.
Gary: Yeah, some of the bits that weren't mentioned so far, there's one of them has got bits to where there's a pencil and a sharpener that's overly sexualized in this movie. And it's hilarious.
Cort Psyops: It's pretty fucking great.
Gary: Just picture what we're talking about.
Derek: The one chick that was a John Michael Higgins, she's like, I like the pencil.
Gary: Pencil and the sharpener is all safe off that one. Yeah, the hedgehog story is one of the best stories of the movie. And especially, you know, because he's like this neurotic dude, because his dad was like this legend in the hedgehog outfit. And he doesn't want to go against the grain. He wants to keep it, keep it, keep it tight, keep it the same. But he wants to do this bit with the ladder. And there's a lot of suspense built with the ladder bit. And it wouldn't have happened without, of course, the conversation he has with the fist, Tommy Zuccarello. And that's a great scene. You basically tell him to go do your own thing.
Cort Psyops: I forgot to mention that, Gary.
Gary: Go do your own thing.
Cort Psyops: I'm sorry to interrupt you. I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I forgot to mention that. Yeah, that was a really touching scene. And it was actually really nice because you get to see the man behind the character that he plays, because he's the fist 24-7 on camera. And just that brief moment where he's talking to him and just connecting with him on a very human level. And he just basically tells him, like, why can't you be your own man? What's stopping you? And he just gives him that beautiful little pep talk without even fucking trying. Because he literally just doesn't understand why he just doesn't do it.
Gary: And the result is great. So go ahead.
Suzanne: I mean, you have to admit a lot, these tales, there's a lot to these stories. And seriously, I was thinking a lot about the Hedgehog story. And I didn't quite realize how much I was actually in touch with the Hedgehog story until Cort started bringing it up.
Derek: Yeah, I agree.
Suzanne: There is so much there and it just seems like Family Tree was an extension of that.
Gary: So you're not going to watch Family Tree now, are you?
Derek: I haven't seen that either and I want to watch it.
Cort Psyops: It was an HBO series, so it should be on HBO Max. Everything they've ever done, I think, is on there, that they still have.
Derek: I know I'm watching later.
Suzanne: I was really surprised because it didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it. So thank you.
Gary: Oh, Sarah Baker, who plays the turtle, aka Minnie Marie in this movie. I've seen her in stuff before and she always makes me laugh, especially if you guys have seen the campaign. She plays Zach Galifianakis' wife in that movie, who's all horned up for Will Ferrell and Bob Barker in that movie. It's very funny.
Suzanne: She is hilarious.
Gary: That's my stupid funny movie right there at the campaign.
Derek: The weird trying to make out scene at the end.
Gary: Yeah.
Suzanne: It's like, well, a year ago, we would not have been able to do this. You can see they're just like, oh, God, if your lips touch me, I'm going to vomit, but the camera sees it.
Gary: Oh, so good.
Derek: If you haven't seen the fourth one. The fist is just a monk now.
Cort Psyops: Who's breaking his vow of silence to do an interview because he can't fucking help it. Yeah.
Gary: Yeah. That's what's back in this one. You get that great, you know, and you know, what are they doing now? It's not mean spirited. You know, you got that. You got a little bit of that and pretty much the aftermath of them not getting nominated for your consideration. Like I said, mean spirited, so I'm sorry.
Derek: Actually, the only downer part of that whole aftermath thing is the Parker Posey story where they're just working at an old age home for mascots and they have a mascot funeral. Like, whoa.
Cort Psyops: Yeah, but that's just a part of that's a part of the mascot lifecycle. And like they said, they don't have to, they don't have to worry about mascots dying pretty much. They can basically just hang on the shelf. It's the people underneath or something like that. They get a little philosophical with it.
Derek: Yeah. Yeah, it was pretty. Yeah, it was very interesting. It was just weird to see an elephant in a casket though.
Jeffrey X: Yeah.
Cort Psyops: Yeah, I think that's going to be quite a heavy burial fee.
Derek: Yeah. Oh, gosh.
Gary: The little shit this movie. Fred Williams doesn't get a whole lot to do with this movie, but he the part where he's talking to the worm who's who's a little person and he's fascinated that a little person can do this. And it's it's so random.
Derek: How were you made this way? I was made this way by birth.
Suzanne: I'm going to go down in the burrow and blow the horn.
Cort Psyops: I love that. I love that he doesn't actually start giving him shit because he realizes the guy probably is legitimately just never seen a little person before in his life and has no idea that he's being that much of a prick.
Gary: Yeah.
Cort Psyops: But at the end when he's obviously saying stuff that's really offensive, I love the way that that guy just gives him shit right back. To prove how much of an idiot he is. And I love when Fred Willard realizes it and then decides to end the conversation because he's like, you're fun in me, aren't you?
Gary: It reminds me of him.
Suzanne: You're a great little guy.
Gary: It reminds me of the scene in Blast from the Past, but this is a lot more naive because he actually never seen one before. When Brendan Fraser comes into the surface, he's like, wow, a black woman. I've never seen one of those before. But that sounds a lot more fascinating because he actually never seen one before.
Derek: You know, yeah, yeah.
Gary: You know, the dialogue in that scene, maybe, you know, a problem with those people don't know what good writing is, though. That's a that's a guy I feel has never been. I think I didn't like Brendan Fraser. So you win, buddy, you win.
Derek: I love when he like orders a drink and he's like, don't hookers like that. My mom sure likes them.
Gary: My mom sure likes them. What, the Rob Roy? Oh, so good. This is this is good too, though. I mean, like a lot of folks say it's a return to form. And I will agree from the last movie we saw it is you get back to, you know, what made these movies a lot of fun and really great. You know, that naivety that's there about this, this culture that may or may not be sexually motivated because I love the rabbit furry is in the hotel because you know, there's going to be that one guy looking for shit like that, you know?
Cort Psyops: Yeah. And he represents like a very small, very just desperate person, like just one person. It's just like one dude that's like that. It's not the entirety of the furry community. And I just love the way that the guy's trying to like basically tell him how to react whenever a furry is trying to scritch him or whatever that he's doing and like what the words are to say. And he's like, how about I'll tell him I'll punch him in the fucking mouth or something like that. I love that line delivery.
Suzanne: But if you are... Randomly off topic, but not off topic. One of my, a friend of a friend, who I'm a friend of, but apparently we're friends. He didn't know what his sexuality was, didn't know how he felt about anything, but he actually found, God help me, a fursona. You know what, I'm really happy for you, that you found a happy place for yourself. But my God, if I hear about a scratch pile one more time, I'm gonna be sick. Wow.
Cort Psyops: We got 10 minutes left.
Gary: Okay, we'll wrap this up. Furries aside, Mr. Cort, final thoughts and what's your rating, sir?
Cort Psyops: It's not my absolute favorite of all the Christopher Guest series and or films that I've seen. But after realizing why I knew so much of the cast that I didn't know where from came from Family Tree, I really started enjoying it more on that second watch. So I'm gonna give it a seven because it's not the best, but it's definitely more than just a movie. And I found it very entertaining. And I think probably if I watch it again, it might go up at least a half a point if not another, you know, because I'll find something else that I really enjoy about it. And I definitely would check it out again, because I mean, as long as I got the Netflix subscription, I can watch it as much as I want.
Derek: Cool, Derek. Yeah, I really enjoyed this for what it was, you know. It kept me interested enough. I was engaged with what was going on within the movie. And, you know, just the whole, you know, it was just interesting. Like, mascots, I was always interested as a kid anyways, like when I went to games and shit. So this is kind of interesting to me. And it has some great funny moments. The fucking furry. Hilarious. Anyways, I'll give it like a 7.5 out of 10. I really enjoyed it.
Gary: Suzanne.
Suzanne: No, honestly, for me, I just think that there are too many players in the movie. But the stories to be focused on were incredibly, you know, part of them were endearing. Part of them were just hilarious. But I honestly think a seven and a half is pretty apt.
Gary: Yeah, I'm right with you with Cort with the seven. I enjoyed myself much more than the last one. And that's the five to the seven. It doesn't sound like much of an upgrade, but it'll take you a couple more times. And I think watching this Family Tree show, which I'm going to watch very, very soon, will get you to enjoy a whole lot more out of this movie. And I'm looking forward to watching that.
Cort Psyops: You should do a bonus episode.
Gary: Yeah, maybe.
Suzanne: Yes, we should.
Gary: Yeah, I don't mind that.
Suzanne: We should. It's crushed for gas.
Gary: I don't mind that at all. But yeah, that's about it for this one. And we'll see y'all again when we come close up the show.
Bo Ransdell: This will keep you quiet. Oh, hi there. I didn't see you. You call me cutting a new show. I'm Bo Ransdell, and I'm one of the many creators you can find on Legion podcasts. I don't know. All the things that make our shows fun to listen to. And you can help. If you're enjoying the shows on legionpodcasts.com or in the Legion Network available on iTunes and Stitcher, just about anywhere you can download a podcast really, you can help us out and get a little something for your trouble at patreon.com/legionpodcasts For just two bucks a month, you get a pair of movie commentaries exclusive to Patreon. And for $5, you can also join us for a monthly screening of a movie. All of that available on patreon.com/Legionpodcasts We appreciate it, and thank you for listening. Now back to the cutting room.
Gary: All right, that is the end of this show, the end of the journey of nine years of Cinema Beef Podcast. And I just want to say, go back, and it bears repeating. I'm only as good as people I work with, and that's Iris, that's Suzanne, that's Jamie, that's everybody here on this show. Jeffrey Exmark, Ricky Morgan, Derek Bourgeois, Cort Psyops. I'll name some more Legion people for sure. Darren Wilson, Kate and Matt, Eternal Darkness of the Not-So-Spotless Mind Podcast, Kill the Cast, Jerry and the Boys, Friday Nightmares, Her Lacky Scott, I say that with love, Scott. She loves the Butcher Balls and vice versa. And all these people that, get the hook, motherfucking get the hook. But no, all these people are important. These guys have been doing it forever and ever. Gentlemen's Guide to Midnight Cinema have been doing this forever. Outside of the cinema have been doing this forever. Mike White and the Projection Booth have been doing this forever. And there's a reason for the season of The Sleezons is that if they didn't enjoy what they do, if I didn't enjoy what the fuck I do on this show, I would not still be doing it. I've always said that if it felt like a job, I would not be doing this. I would not be attempting to do this. And it never felt like a job. People always worked with me and I hoped had a good time on the show and are going to continue to have a good time on the show. Again, making it sound like a real swan song, but I should not do that because it's not. I'm going to get some beautiful content out to you people with the help of some great friends. Speaking of wonderful content, the next Cinema Beef Podcast that will come out will be The Little Bill Double Bill and I will explain this to you guys if you guys didn't hear about it before. This is a film, this is a review show, a review show. This is a podcast, a programming that we brought two characters together, both called Little Bill. Unforgiven, which is a western that you guys may or may not know, I hope you guys know it's a wonderful film, features Little Bill Daggett who is Gene Hackman and Boogie Nights from 1997, features Little Bill, portrayed by Bill, by his name is Bill too, his name is Bill too. William H. Macy plays Little Bill in Boogie Nights. So put the two together, you get two wonderful films and I'm sure some great conversation. We have not recorded the reviews yet as of this recording these little end caps because should be told behind the scenes, this is all recorded in pieces and I'm just piecing this all together because piecemeal and it is the way to go people have again only as good as people work with if that ship was was not there was was that righted and in the right way. I I I wouldn't be able to to to do this. I mean, a lot of these guys, they've gone on the simplistic way of editing. Duncan McLeish doesn't do a whole lot to the recording because he's fucking on it. But Mike Murphy does is on it, man, he's on it. He just just goes for it. And I would love to think that I could do that. But I do. I don't have I need to use filters. My voice is kind of terrible and it's only better because I use filters or whatnot. But yeah, this has been nine years of this show. Look for some other shows amongst the Butcher Shop family of shows, the Legion Podcast family of shows. Go donate to the Legion Podcast Patreon. It's as low as two dollars a month and you get early releases. All the bonus Torchies episodes. There's about ten of those by now. We've read anything from our first review of The Drive. We reviewed The Wanderers for the match for the Warriors. We just reviewed Code of Silence to go with Red Heat. They're all paired together like a fine wine with pasta. And I think that this podcasting gig is my fine wine with wonderful pasta. You guys bring the Gabagool every time. Although you guys don't show it sometimes and say, hey, I really enjoy this show. But you know what? I got some feedback from Robert Ward who listened to our Black Roses, Two Sugar and Wicked Minimum Commentaries. You know, that little bit of commenting can really make it all worthwhile. Speaking of which, go check us out on Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, Apple whatever it is. Leave us a rating review. One star review, five star review. Just let us start it there. We would love it. If I get 30 reviews, they come to like 18 right now. I'm going to give something away. How about that? And this is the first place that I will announce the exact date when the Flades & Plicks Charity Auction is going to happen. Some of you guys are asking what is this? Some new listeners, perhaps the ones that don't know. I'll tell you what it is. It's a charity auction in which I've gathered many items from different Hollywood people that are meeting conventions and different donations from different people. And this is cinema stuff. This is wrestling stuff, mostly autograph stuff. But the only autograph thing, non-autograph thing I have in the bunch is a Raphael. I think he's a Frankenstein figure, Raphael Fair Frankenstein figure from the Ninja Turtles and a Andre the Giant pop vinyl from the Princess Bride, Fezzik, which was an Amazon exclusive. I think that was a piece going for a pretty penny right now. So you guys might want to go after that. He's oversized and adorable. He's a rock in his hand. But March 11th and 12th, I believe it is, it's Saturday and Sunday. Now the way this works is I'm going to set up an event page on the Facebooks, which is the easy way to do this. You can go, you see me pop up and I'll be trolling everywhere with this thing to get you to get your monies. It goes to a no kill shelter, like I said, and I will have all the items listed the day of when it's going to start, and when I say start bidding, you guys can start bidding. You bid in the comment section, some higher in items, some lower in items, whatever. Whatever you guys can give, if you guys can give, it all goes to the no kill shelter, South Suburban Humane Society in beautiful Tilley Park, Illinois, and they have other subsidiaries too in that area. And it's a good thing to help animals, to help people in general, and I don't need to tell you this, but you can get some cool shit in the process. Like this fawn figure I'm staring at right now, this NECA old fawn figure from Penn's Labyrinth, signed by the nicest monster that ever lived, Doug Jones. He played all the monsters in that movie, but this is a fawn figure. He's excited for you guys to have it. He's very excited for you guys to have it, I'll share the video. Again excited to be here, excited to keep doing this after nine years. I'm going into the tenth year, my nipples are getting hard just thinking about it. Because my brother from another mother, Jeffery X. Martin, who you heard earlier on the show, coming back with Kiss the Goat, Tease Tease, Poke Poke, he spilled the beans this week in a way that him and Cootie are getting back together again and going to do something. So probably Kiss the Goat. I'm looking forward to it and looking forward to everything, just just life in general. If you're in the shits like I am every holiday season, if you're in the shits right now, you know, reach out to your buddy, I'll talk to you. We could be in the shits together and maybe make each other, maybe lift each other up, you know, so I'm trying to stay out of the shits so I could release more content to you. And I'm going on and on and on here. And I don't care because I'm on the microphone by myself. And if you are still listening, God bless you. A crime bless you. Or many blessings, you know, good health, good, good beer, good food, all of the above. Nothing but love here. But this is where I will leave it. Do all those things that are asked of you, if possible. If not, no pressure. Pressure is bad. Pressure makes people go crazy and possibly hurt somebody in their office building. That's no go, man. I'm over pressure. I'm over it, man. Just I'm here for cinema and my people and you guys are people. I go to horror conventions and you walk in a room. It's almost like a church. You can smell the air and you say, yep, these are my people and I feel comfortable. Well, when I'm on this show and I know some of you guys are listening to the show, you're my people and I am comfortable with you and love it. Love you guys. Love the show. Love to Jamie, Iris, Suzanne, everybody that works with me and works, you know, not for me. It's for me. No, because I think I'm the boss of this, this, this little ride, but I'm not. I'm only as good as people I work with. I'll say this 14 more fucking times. You know why? Because they make me better. And that's, that's plain and simple. Clear as crystal, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. De facto de jour, all, all, all those things. But this is where I'll leave you. This has been the 9th anniversary Beefiversary Show of the Cinema Beef Podcast, where if you've got beef, we've all got the grinder. Bye bye now.