Co-host of "The Konnichiwa Podcast" Dan Yoder trades tips with Bobby on how to raise the perfect multicultural, well-rounded, native-level bilingual children in an episode that might AGE HORRIBLY. Listen now, then check back in 10-15 years to find out.
Ollie recommends a river cruise that maybe should have been included on our vaccine ep with Lisa Du.
Bobby looks at a how the JET Programme's first foray into the River Cruise industry is more of the same from them.
Topics discussed on this episode range from:
- The best childcare gear brand to show off your Dad-skills
- How often Dan washes his hands (for the first ever SOAPY soap talk)
- What Dan's podcast "The Konnichiwa Podcast" sets out to do and accomplishes
- How the bilingual conversations on that podcast are great ways to simulate real world language training
- The benefits of having a family vs. not
- How non-traditionally Japanese families and children are starting to be featured more in the media
- How Dan feels about introducing Ollie to his progeny
- When the student becomes the teacher in terms of bilingual families
- How you can't always tell if kids are bad at language because they're not getting the right education... or because they're kids
- The unique situation Dan is in, re: English/Japanese bilingualism
- How the cultural background your raised with affects the
- How people try to have a 100% English home-environment, and whether or not that division is something we should try for
- How Dan tries to support his daughters bilingual upbringing
- How having lived in Japan when he was a child gave Dan an insight into his daughter's experiences
- The cons of International School if you're living in Japan
- Blaming your parents for not making sure you learned stuff
- The expectations placed on "international families"
- How to balance parenting with your child's right to choose
- How mixed-race children in Japan deal with the way Japan sees them
- The REGRETTING MY OWN LIFE-DECISIONS style of Parenting
- White people complaining about being discriminated against in Japan
- The double-edged sword of "wanting attention" versus "getting unwanted attention"
- What Dan would LIKE to incorporate about Japanese culture into his parenting
- How to supplement a child's moral and social upbringing in a country that's a bit behind on things like gender equality or diversity and inclusion issues
Topics discussed on the Extras:
- The Koni-pod origin story and how it's seeming consistency is by design
- What goes into working out a good podcast formula
- Bobby and Ollie's toxic-masculine dynamic
- Pros and cons of WILD SHIFTS in conversation topics
- Domestic terrorism
- When, exactly, "genocide" really got going
- Why people kill other people
- Balancing podcasting with parenting
- What Dan's daughter have in common with Joe and Caseys' wives
- How merch complicates your podcast business relationship
- The podcast New Year's cards
- The start-up Dan founded with his brother and how they've navigated the pandemic
- How covid related pivots have worked out better for some businesses than others
- What Ollie and Dan think of Fukuoka's startup ecosystem
- How murder and disaster followed Ollie around Fukuoka
or Tweet to us at @jbrcpod
What is Japan By River Cruise?
Stand-up comedians Bobby Judo and Ollie Horn purport to report on the Japanese river cruise industry each week.