Today’s co-host is Jack McDade. Jack is the founder and creator of Statamic, a CMS that makes building a website better and easier to manage. Jack created Statamic in 2012, and though it started as a side project, it has grown into a platform, community, and profitable company. He’s currently working on version three of the software.
"If you can speak to exactly the person you’re trying to reach, it will give you a totally different experience compared to a broad net where you’re trying to be something to everybody." ~Jack McDade
- How he got started in digital products and his path to Statamic.
- His strategy for pricing products versus services.
- The mistakes he made pricing Statamic and how he dealt with the fallout.
- Don’t just copy what big tech companies are doing. Figure out how to speak directly to the customers that you have the answers for.
- How your customers use the product and how you price your product need to be aligned. If not, customers will be incentivized to circumvent your product, or try to spend less money on it.
- If you’re selling a digital product, be prepared to deal with customers in other parts of the world. You need to have a plan for how you will price your product for regions of the world with lower average incomes.
Important Mentions in this Episode
What is Live In The Feast?
Live In The Feast is a seasonal podcast for developers and designers looking to discover their niche to build recurring revenue. So that they can live the life that they want and ultimately reach the goals of why they started their own business in the first place. Each season will be a theme specific to your business. And each episode features a guest who's been there before and achieved success. You'll get actionable takeaways for you to implement in your business immediately after each show. No fluff, no pie in the sky dreaming, this is real-life examples and takeaways for you.