Anja: Welcome to the Honest Money Show a big thanks to our sponsor. Shop Bitcoin Australia for making today's episode possible. Hello. So joining me today is Mike. Mike is a Bitcoin educator, and he's got a channel on YouTube called Bitcoin. Straight up. Welcome to Honest Money Show. Mike.
Mike: Thanks for really good to be here.
Anja: I really wanted to share some of the success of your channel, which I'm really, really impressed with. And I'll also share the backstory of how I came across you with my audience and with you as well. So, um, Bitcoin straight up. You started in June. This year you already have over 4,500 subscribers and you've hit nearly a, well, nearly 2000, um, views. Essentially you're like around at 184,000, which is just amazing for such a short amount of time. And how I came across your profile, I was cooking dinner, I had a normie over and um, they were very interested in Bitcoin, so they were flicking through YouTube and I was getting really nervous that they were gonna come across. Some scammy influencer and they put her on your channel and I'm kind of cooking and I'm listening, and I heard you say something like, I'm gonna try to explain everything about Bitcoin in two hours. And I was like, oh, well done. Like good luck with that challenge. And I'm tuning in, I'm thinking this man really knows what he's talking about. And when you were talking like alluding to the difficulty adjustment, I just kind of knew straight away that you actually knew Bitcoin and understood it quite well. And I found your channel so addictive and so fun to listen to and so accurate as well. So, um, yes, that's kind of, that's awesome. My intro. I'd love to know what prompted you to start your channel.
Mike: Yeah, sure. Um, well I actually went to Prague, I went to Bitcoin Prague, um, in, it would've been around the time. It was literally like, I think the day I got back, I published my first video. I'd already had some. I had like those 10 videos in my head. And to be, to be frank, like I only did them because the amount of friends and family that had like, maybe asked questions. And then I'd explained it, and then I came away and been like, oh, I've explained that so badly. I was like, you know, and I was just like, well, if I just spent some time and put together what I wanted to say, I feel like I could do it way better. And so that's what I did. Like, I just had those 10 videos where I, I just hadn't seen them anywhere else. And I was like, I've got these things in my head that I've tried to explain to people. And so I was like, I'm just gonna, I'm gonna just spend so much time that they, they took ages, I'm not gonna lie. Like they took so much time to come up with the ideas and the concepts and the script and putting them together. Um, but that was, that was the only reason why I started the channel was just to like, then give them to my friend and be like, watch this, please. This is what I'm trying to say. And it's condensed in a way that isn't just rambling for. Ages because there's tons of podcasts, there's tons of, you know, deep dives that you can go into. But I, I personally found it was very hard to send someone like a, a 10 minute video or a 20 minute video, which summarized most things that I wanted to say. Um, so yeah, that two hour one that you, you found is, um, or your friend found is just a, it's the compilation of those 10 videos. And then I, but then what I started to realize is so many people were commenting on videos and saying, oh, I've shared this with a friend. And I was like, but that is just useless. You can't send this sixth one of the 10 part series to someone. It, it won't make sense. Like, it might peak their curiosity and they'll be like, oh, that's nice. And then they'll get on with their day and they'll forget about it and they won't, they won't do anything else. Whereas you need to see, you need to see the whole journey and the whole process really, I thought anyway, for, for it to actually actually work. So that's why I just ended up putting them all together. And then it can be. Here you go. This is, this is everything in two hours. It's obviously not everything. You can't cover everything about Bitcoin in two hours, but I think it covers all of the basics as much as you can if you, if you know what I mean. Um, in my opinion anyway, it was all, everything that I wanted to say to my friends and family anyway.
Anja: Yeah. And it takes real skill to distill so much information and give people like a bite-sized elevator pitch of Bitcoin. I know that's always the hardest thing to do because people, you know, wanna know, okay, what's the value proposition of Bitcoin? It's like, well, it's not that simple. There's so many different aspects you can take it in and yeah, it's just really, really hard. So it takes real skill and I think the numbers that you are achieving speak for themselves, um, it really is high signal channel. I, I really, really like it. Um, I'm curious to know what is your background?
Mike: I'm a teacher, I'm a PE teacher. So yeah, I think in the first couple of videos that I did, I didn't include them in the two hour compilation just 'cause I knew they, they were literally made for friends and family. You know, it is like showing them that I, I was a massive skeptic. So it's not like I've got here by just blindly being like, oh, one day I'm just gonna go all in on Bitcoin, or, you know, it is, that's not how it happened. So those first two videos kind of showed a bit of that background and just explained like, how I got there, but I figured it w it wouldn't have worked in that two hour one because people just wanted, you know, that that video was made more like if some random person found it. This is everything I want to explain about Bitcoin. So understanding my story wouldn't have been useful. But yeah, that's, I, I was a PE teacher. We actually moved to Qatar in the Middle East, so my wife and I were there for like eight years. Um. And yeah, just while I was there, i, I, I became obsessed with money, really obsessed with like, the history of money. And this was like maybe 20 14, 15 and that then I led, that led me to like gold and silver. So I was very much like gold is the answer, but it's quite like black pilley I found, you know, it is not very, it was very, it make, it's quite dark and it makes you feel like, oh, the world is so messed up and it was a little bit like this. Even though I feel like gold is gonna be okay and it's gonna help, it's, it is still not gonna fix anything. Like, because it's, it's already been manipulated, it's already been controlled. You can't just move back onto a gold standard and expect everything to go back to. Like Austrian economics and everything. It's just not, it's not realistically going to work in this like digital age. Um, so yeah, then I'm, I heard about Bitcoin around that time, but I was very much like, this is a massive scam. I think bought it a little bit at like 2017 when it was going crazy. So I think I maybe bought it around like $8,000 or something, but not like hardly anything just because I was like, something's happening here and I need to figure it out. I dunno about you, but I, I only learned about things if I've got some sort of skin in the game or some reason to actually learn about it a bit more. And then obviously 2018 happened and I was like, yeah, this is definitely a scam. I was right. It was, it was definitely not, not gonna work. Kind of fell for all the obvious scams that probably everyone goes through and, well, not everyone, I suppose now I think there's a bit more awareness of it, but back then it was very much like, oh, there's this digital money, which is just making people rich and, and then there's things that offering you 10% return a month for forever or like 15%. Well, I can't really remember what it was, but I remember falling for one of those, again, not putting much in it, but like, oh yeah, well, that this seems to be like a, a better way of buying Bitcoin rather than just buying Bitcoin. But um, yeah, that's kind of how I sort of stumbled in into it all. So it was really just a deep research into how broken the money was that that led me there.
Anja: That is so interesting because yeah, for hearing you speak, um, about your story, it seems obvious that you knew very early on what the problem was. But you, as you say, even in 2018, you were convinced that Bitcoin is a scam after that, after it crashed after 2017. And I'm curious to know, 'cause I also read that you, uh, called Bitcoin digital tulips back in 2018. Yeah. I'm curious to know what finally was it that kind of set you off to think that, hey, there's something more to this.
Mike: Yeah, so I'm, I'm quite analytical, so, um, what I ended up doing is just putting, just, I made this massive spreadsheet of all the ways that Bitcoin could fail or it could be a scam, or it could just be, you know, useless. And so going through that and then literally doing a deep dive on each of my points, I was. It was just like every time I was like ticking 'em off and being like, yeah, that's not actually a threat. And, you know, that's not actually a threat. And so I, I did a, like, in, in that two hour one, there is a, well, there's one video on all the threats or the ways that Bitcoin could fail really. And I do still see there's like a potential couple, I know a lot of people in the Bitcoin space are very much like, yeah, there's no threats. But I think it's, um, for me anyway, again, that's something that I've found was lacking in the Bitcoin space is, you know, like the Michael Saylor who just, they just focus only on the positive. And he's obviously done so much for the Bitcoin space. But me personally, personally being like analytical, I wanna know what the risks are. Like I don't want someone to just sidestep them. I want you to tell me like what are the actual risks and explain why they're not actual risks, you know, so that's. It was basically me doing that myself, which arguably is better than someone else explaining to you. Um, that then eventually I was just like, I don't see any real massive risks to this. Like, you know, or massive threats that is gonna stop Bitcoin. The, the, the kind of like I, I mentioned before we hit record as well. The, the only one that I still really see is because obviously the, the, I mean, I don't wanna get the conspiracy theory, everything's so early, but it the, if there is like this deep state or people that are controlling the money supply, which I think most people in the Bitcoin space are aware of that there is, there's some sort of control to the whole system. Who it is what it is. We don't necessarily know exactly, but they're not just gonna give up that control. 'cause obviously it's so beneficial to them to. Have this control, like to, to have the money printer to be able to be closer to it. There's so much benefits, which we don't need to go into. But, um, again, I'm sure most listeners already know what those are, but my point was always that, well, they're not just gonna hand over control, so how are they going to break this? Like, how, what are they going to do to stop this? Um, and I think it's like, you know, the Simon Dixons and people of the, in the Bitcoin space, I feel, I feel like they're, that's the angle where I can see what they're trying to do at the minute with the ETFs and things. I think they're just trying to control as much of it and o get, own as much of it as possible. And then that's potentially where the risks could come from. But from being in the Bitcoin space and, you know, going to more, more and more meetups, going to more conferences and things like that, it's, it's opened my eyes to how many people already understand this and it's only getting more and more, you know, like, so even. For myself, I've only started running a node this year, and so that's another person that's been added to the network. And there's, there's multiple people that I've met over these past few months who have done exactly the same. Only in this last year, they've started running a node, and most people hold it in self custody at these events, but not, not everyone, you know, there's still definitely people that hold it in ETFs or in custody of some sort, you know, or some sort of exchange. So basically, as long as more and more people keep running nodes, keep self custody in it, it really doesn't matter what, what they do. The issue is, is if they can make it so incentivized to put your, to sell yourself custody Bitcoin, put it into an ETF, then I could see that could be potentially where the issue is. But I feel like the cat's out the bag now. Like I feel like there's too many people that know this and that I'm not just going to do that. Yeah, I mean that, that's kind of what convinced me. It was like, I don't, I don't see any real risks.
Anja: Yeah. So that's interesting. So do you essentially think that decentralization is, sorry, centralization is the biggest risk? Um, or what would you say? Like how would you summarize?
Mike: Yeah, it's pretty much all the risks are centralization of some sort. So, you know, Jeff Booth always says the, the five rules of Bitcoin, and if it stays those five rules, then it is the global free market. It will reprice everything. And really when you peel back those five things, so I, I remember them using dopes. That's the, I just use the acronym like, 'cause I've come from that teaching background. I always, 'cause I, I forgot. I know two. Yeah, well I, because that's the thing is like, there's just five rules, but it's like, what are those five rules? Go on, let's see if you can remember them all. So secure
Anja: and decentralized. That's. So they're the two,
Mike: two big ones? Yeah. What would o be?
Anja: I don't know. OI don't know.
Mike: Open. So it's an open network?
Anja: Open? Yeah. Okay.
Mike: PP is a protocol. So it's a protocol, which means that there can only be one. Uh, and, and that as well a deep dive in the protocol. I didn't really truly understand Bitcoin until I understood what a protocol was. So it's the same with the internet. There, there's, there's only one internet. We can't have like multiple internets, uh, because you know, you actually have to lay the physical cables. And it's the same way with Bitcoin. You have the physical infrastructure of like the miners and the nodes, and they don't, those miners can't just switch to Casper or whatever other. S coin, I dunno if you can swear on. So, uh, you know, oh
Anja: we do. Where This is an Australian podcast, so swearing is very welcome.
Mike: Oh yeah. So you can't have any other shit coin that these miners just change it onto, so it is, uh, that's, that's the point of a protocol really, is that it was the understanding that infrastructure behind it is that, oh, okay, this is what, this is why Bitcoin is so secure and so decentralized. And then e is energy bound. So it is bounded by energy, so it's actually tied to the physical real world. So, I mean, you can't argue that it's en energy bound it, that is just a fact. It's proof of work. The miners do do the work, and that's what makes it run. You know, that that's what, that's how each new block is mined and everything. Um. You can't argue that it's a protocol, it is a set of rules that can no, that is, if you don't abide by those rules, you are not on the Bitcoin network. It's kind of like black and white and there can't be another one because of the infrastructure as well. So that's, that was the bit that really for me, it was like, oh yeah, that's, that's another penny drop moment. You can't argue that it's open, like anyone can use it without permission. Even in countries that have banned, it's already been proven, you know, people do use it and, and will continue to use it. So there's not really anything that governments or anyone can do about it. And then, so it's really the big two, like the, the two that you said, decentralized, secure, and decentralized. And really, as long as it stays decentralized, it is going to be secure. So it's, it's really all falls down to the decentralized, as long as it stays decentralized, which like I already said, as long as people keep running a node, as long as people keep self custody in it. There is nothing that can break this. And so that realization was like, okay, you know, so why am I, why am I still like not understanding this? This literally is the first global free market that's ever existed. Like if you just peel it all back to first principles, then from where I stand anyway, as long as it has, if something, if anything has those five rules, that would be a global free market. 'cause it would be, so that's, that's really where, where I was like, yeah, it just went full conviction mode. Once I understood those five rules, I was like, yeah, this is actually a global free market. And once you understand a global free market, everything is going to get cheaper within that global free market. So if you live in a Bitcoin standard, everything in your life is just gonna get cheaper over time. And it's pretty exciting. It's like, you know, compared to like the gold. Sort of black pilling that I went through before the orange pill is like, oh my God, this is actually massive fu for humanity. This is way bigger than just me stacking SATs. This is this, this is gonna help everyone as long as it stays decentralized. So,
Anja: yeah. Absolutely. And is that what motivates you to, you know, do this sort of education? Um, is that kind of like Yeah. What's your motivation behind it?
Mike: Yeah, I mean, those, those first 10 videos, I had no expectations or anything for them. And then as the people just started sharing and some of the comments and feedback I was getting, I was like, oh, okay, this is actually helpful. And I didn't realize it was actually gonna be useful for lots of people. And so when I got to the end of those 10 videos, I was like, I've actually quite enjoyed this. It's been like quite fun to do so, and I've got loads of other stuff that I could talk about as well. So there's, there's so many other angles where. I see that people haven't really touched on, um, for example, like the global free market thing, like Jeff Booth talks about it quite a lot, but you don't really see anyone coming at it from that angle. Um, and so if you can prove that, and so like that's actually within the next couple of weeks, I will have like, that's, that'll be my next like two hour one will be Bitcoin is the first global gimme two hours. I'll prove that it is the first global free market. And I'll go through exactly what kind of what I've just said there, but more in detail and like attacking each of those five things. So rather than just being like, yeah, it's decentralized, let's move on, it's like, no, why is it decentralized? What are the things that make it decentralized? And is there anything that can make it not become decentralized? So really it all boils down to that one threat that I say like that I see, which is institutions doing whatever it is that they're doing at the minute to try and accumulate as much. Um, and that to be, to put that in black and white as well. The threat that I see from that is that if they were, I, I dunno what the percentage would be, but let's just say they control the vast majority of Bitcoin. So everyone just sells all their self custody, holds it in BlackRock, E BlackRock, ETF or whatever it is. Um, when that is the case then if there was some sort of fork, so a lot of this debate around the whole knots core thing and the bit 4, 4 4 and everything. I dunno if much has come up in that. And I know you said you were just at a, a conference for the last few days, but I dunno if that's much of a, there is always
Anja: a knots versus core debate. Happen in the community and just when we don't think it's, we're not, we're gonna talk about it, we do end up talking about it. We just, usually the first day of the, the three day event is a bit devs and surprisingly it did not get mentioned in there. But then during the main events, of course it did. So there's, it's never gonna not come up. And it's interesting because, um, we do have some of the really, like, some of the most strong Bitcoiners in Australia. Um, and some are pro core, some are pro knots, and there's people on both sides of the debate that I, um, respect. But I've never done the deep dive myself. I actually just got a note, so I'll have to, I'll have to do it. Um, now that I kind of have some skin in the game, um, as you say. But yeah.
Mike: Yeah. Um, but I mean, like, just for example, the, the whole bit 4, 4 4 proposal is potentially gonna be like a soft walk, which would actually change the direction that Bitcoin goes. And it changes the rules on the consensus level, which is like that they are the main rules. So all this argument around core knots, it doesn't to, from where I stand anyway, I don't think it really matters whether you run a core or knots node because that's only on the, what's the other layer? Pro the protocol? No, not the protocol. The, the other layer, my mind's gone blank. So there's the consensus layer and then there's obviously this layer, which you're not actually changing it, it's not gonna change anything. You, it, it, it will change what you personally filter in running through your node. And so I totally appreciate why a lot of people say, I'm going to run knots because I don't want any of this other stuff. Running through it. However, just diving into it a little bit more, I've realized like it, it could have some other detrimental impact. I don't, I don't fully understand all the technicalities, and I've never, never tried, never tried to pretend that I do. Um, but I think there's, there's more to it than just, oh, it, I'm not gonna run it on my nodes. So that, that solves everything because it, it, well, it doesn't, and also, um, it can have other implications as well, like if there's not enough people running the same thing because it just means things get left in the memo and it becomes messy or something. But whether the core knots thing is not the important thing. The important thing here that though, that I see is that whenever a soft fork does come up, it just means that whoever, BlackRock or the institutions or whoever decides to run with, then everyone that has their Bitcoin held by that institution is automatically. Being you, you are being chosen, which way you go. You have no voice in which way you go. Whereas if you run your own node, you can literally choose. So that's, that's like the vote, that's what keeps it decentralized. Um, so that's really where the threat happens. And it might only be like a small change initially and it changes bitcoin a little bit. And then I think this is what a lot of people are worried about with the whole core knots debate at the minute, is people just like, just keep it the same, you know, stop, stop messing with it. Um, whereas I think from the other side it's like, well, you have to keep improving Bitcoin. You can't just leave it because you know, at some stage things like quantum will be a threat and we need to be able to make sure we can actually change it as a community to make sure it stays quantum resistant or whatever the next threat is. So I think that's pretty much both sides sum summarized as simply as possible. But that's, that's kind of what I mean though, on. If it does get too decentralized, I see that as the threat further down the road.
Anja: Yeah. And would you like to just quickly explain at a very high level what BIP 4 4, 4 is
Mike: Not really to the audience. It's, it's very, it seems quite confus. It is basically a BIP is a Bitcoin improvement proposal. So that's how new things are added to Bitcoin's, like code and everything. Um, I haven't gone too much into bit 4, 4, 4, but the people that I have spoke to who are far more technical than me, they have said like there's not really any, like, it doesn't even have the code that would be changed. Um, so it's very, uh, philosophical, like the proposed change. And I think one of the big concerns I have around it is that it sounds like once something. Enters Bitcoin. So one of these, the worst case scenario, you know, like CSAM or you know, some, some illicit material enters Bitcoin. When that enters, then they will go back and do a soft walk off there, which basically means, for me anyway, it removes one of Bitcoin's main core things, which is it, it's immutability where you can't change what goes on Bitcoin. So if something's immutable, it just means it's gonna be there forever. And that's one of the massive things about Bitcoin and that's, that's why a lot of this spam or whatever it is that people wanna call it, is entering it is because people know that is gonna be there forever. You can't change, can't change it. Um, as soon as someone has a say in, we can now go back and change the rules because of something has entered that we don't like then that massively changes. A big part of Bitcoin. So with the proposal at the moment, it sounds like it's
Speaker 3: not a
Mike: good one, but if there was a way that you could just prevent spam and just leave it only as monetary transactions, then that would be great. But as far as I'm aware at the minute, I don't think that really exists. It's just there's too many ways, there's too many workarounds and ways that people can put whatever they want on the blockchain. I think really the bottom line is, which has already happened, if you look at things like NFTs on Ethereum in 2021, most people now know that they're just a scam and don't buy them for millions of dollars because. It's a scam. Like people have realized that there's just no point in this. What's, what's the point in holding a picture of a monkey on my computer for you? Remember like the celebrities buying them for like millions in 2021 and stuff. So eventually people just realize that and then they, there is no demand for it. And so the money dries up and it just stops happening sort of thing. Um, which again, is an overly simplified one of the arguments from core side. But I think really that is the more that I've dug into it, because I, I came at it very much from like, you know, Bitcoin's money and stop messing with it and, and everything. And then it, it sort of made me, as I've learned more about it, it made me realize actually no, it is a permissionless network that is immutable. And if we start changing that, you're changing one of the main things of Bitcoin, which then what else could change? Um, and that's again, going back to what I was saying about like. Centralized thinking. As soon as we get anything that's centralized in Bitcoin, that's where the real threats are from, from my perspective. Anyway.
Anja: Yeah, that's, that's really interesting. I don't have an opinion on it, so I can't follow up, but I know that at the bit devs just gone, this was one of the main things that was talked about and I missed that entire day. I try to stay away from the more technical topics 'cause I'm just like, I don't feel I can contribute as much to the, to the discussion, but one day I'm still working my way through the philosophical arguments.
Mike: Yeah, I mean that was exactly the same as me as well. It's like I didn't really want to have anything to do with this. 'cause I'd seen so many like messy arguments going on about it and I was just like, well, it doesn't, I dunno enough like, you know, and then. It was just so many people were asking in the comments on tho like, those first like 10 videos of it. Can you just explain like what's going, because so many people just didn't understand what was going on. And then I knew some of it and I'd done some research and I was like, I feel like I could probably explain this better than what has been out there so far. And then, yeah, it just opened a whole can of worms. Then I, I got humbled. I was like, oh my God, there's so much I don't understand. And then I had to learn way more. And then, yeah, it's just, it is a whole other rabbit hole in itself. Um, but equally it's just like I'm, I've got to a stage where I kind of feel like it's not really a threat now personally, and it's like I don't really want to keep going round in circles because you just keep having the same, it's just like the same argument over and over again. Reasoning.
Anja: Yeah.
Mike: Yeah. And it's just, you just keep going round and round in circles. And I think that's what is really hard about it is that. I think both sides are coming at it from a really good place. They actually want the best for Bitcoin. Um, and it just shows how many people do really care about it as well. So like, I think it's a, it has been quite a good thing to see like how many people are really passionate about it and really want to keep Bitcoin secure. Um, but I think the big issue is, is that to really understand this debate, it's almost like you have to be like developer level, you know, code, understand code and understand so many techy aspects of it to really be able to truly understand it. And a lot of like the knot side, as soon as you say that, the knot side will be like, oh yeah, but that's just people like, you know, putting the plebs down and like, we we're smarter than that and we can figure stuff out. And it's like, I get, and I get that thinking as well. 'cause like I say, I really did come at it from the knot side originally, so. That's exactly what I was thinking as well, was like, well just explain it to me, like someone just explain it to me and then I can understand it and then it'll be okay. Sort of things. Um, but yeah, it is, that is is a massive rabbit hole. It's, it's helped me learn a ton about Bitcoin, to be fair. You know, on the technical side of things, again,
Speaker 3: that has been really useful. I haven't got a book somewhere, you know, um, what's his name? Andreas Antonopoulos, his book
Anja: Mastering Bitcoin.
Speaker 3: That's the one that book I
Anja: know I have it too. Yeah.
Mike: God. But it is, it is, it's intense. It really is. But it's super helpful, just like he does do things really help, like, you know, makes like charts and things and simplifies it. Um, but yeah, I mean, just the way that he writes it is complex, you know, it's like mm-hmm. It's not an easy read, but it's, it's super helpful to. If you are interested in that, but I think this is the thing as well, is that most people don't need to know any of this stuff in the same way that you don't need to know how your car engine works and you don't need to know how a plane flies. You can just go on a plane and use it. You know? It's the same thing is that most people don't need to understand how Bitcoin works for it to actually be
Anja: useful.
Mike: Useful, yeah. And rolled out in like mass, mass adoption and things, so, yeah.
Anja: Need a way to sign, verify and secure your Bitcoin Australia's one-stop shop for Bitcoiners. Has you covered from signing devices, nodes, and backup solutions? To bid access day decor and apparel, visit shop bitcoin.com au. Yeah. So with your audience on YouTube, are you by the way, on any other channels?
Mike: Is it mainly, I use Nasta a bit. I dunno if you use nasta much, but
Anja: I do. 'cause that's where I, that's where I reached out course for you. Um, and again, funny experience for the Normie that I was with, because we wa we sat down and we watched the rest of your, um, show and I was like, I need to ask him to come on my podcast. So I just, I was like, I was trying to, what's his name? Let me find him. I was trying to find your Twitter, but then I saw you, your N pub. So I immediately went, found your nosto, sent you a message, and within two minutes you responded. And then you went on my profile and sent me some stats. And I, like said, said to my friend, I was like, oh, I just got, he sent me some Bitcoin, my friend's, like, what?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah.
Anja: Reached out across to someone across the world and now they're sending you some. I'm like, yeah, that's, that's how we work.
Mike: It's amazing, isn't it? It's just unreal. Like, it doesn't make any sense to a normie does it? It's like that just what, he's just sent you some money, like, you know, but that's,
Anja: I know,
Mike: it's just a whole level world, isn't it? It is incredible. And it, but that, that's why I'm only on Gnostic. I do have a Twitter, but I, I mean, I haven't used it for years. I, I probably like 20 20 20, 20 21, you know, COVID time, that sort of stuff. I really did a massive detox on social media. 'cause I was just like, ah, it's just, there's not much good that comes from it is what I realized. Um, and so I just haven't really used it for years. And then. When I went to Prague, I then learned more about Nasta and I was like, oh, I'm gonna, I'm gonna get it. But I've already found myself like, you know, like you said, you reached out to me and I replied really quickly. I've already found myself ended up becoming, like checking my phone and, you know, that that dopamine hits still exists, even if it's nasta, even if it is a decentralized platform. So it's, it's, I dunno, I dunno, I dunno what the answer is to social media, but um, yeah, that's really the, the only place is YouTube and, and Nasta, I think I've heard Jeff Booth say this as well before, is like, I only want to put my time into places where I can see it being like beneficial and where I can see like, the future that I wanna see. And so that is literally, it is like Bitcoin and no, there is, there isn't really at the minute anywhere else that I put my time, other than I still have like a actual job. So like, you know, which pays the bills and everything. So that's really where my, my time goes at the minute.
Anja: Yeah. And I was going to ask you for your YouTube channel, would you say your audience is mostly like Bitcoin curious or Bitcoiners, or do you get like complete nubs, um, interested in your channel?
Mike: Yeah, a bit, bit of both. Um, I really like, I, I love it when I get a new poster, a comment, especially if they, they've like, thought about something. I'm like, yes, this is, like, this is exactly what, and so I always try and spend more time if someone actually asks a question, even if it's say, even if it seems stupid, or even if I've already seen that question like 10 times. It's like, because I remember being in that position. Like I remember how it feels to sort of be like, yeah, but what about this or what about that? And I, I, so I, I really love it when I see that. But yeah, I mean obviously you just end up attracting Bitcoiners. And I think the other thing as well is that. I've heard before something like every, for every comment that you receive, you probably have like 50 or a hundred people thinking the same thing that don't leave a comment. I dunno how true that is. I've just made that up. But, um, that's what I've sort, sort of found as well is that I found, like from the Bitcoin space, you get more comments from Bitcoins. They're, they're like supportive and they're like, oh, this is really good and I want, sort of share this. Whereas from Normies or Noobs, they, I think a lot of them just will come watch it and then leave because they're like, I don't wanna be associated with this. It's just, yeah. You know, they're still figuring it out. So, um, it's hard, it's hard to say exactly, but yeah, most comments do come from Bitcoiners or people that already kind of understand it. Uh, but it's definitely more, that's how I think I want to position the channel as well, as much more beginner focus. 'cause like I say, I feel like there's a lot of podcasts, like in depth stuff and there's a lot more. Places for Bitcoin is to get content these days. Uh, whereas I still haven't seen, there's actually one other channel, I dunno if you've seen the exit manual, Julian
Anja: something. Oh, I'm gonna write it down. Um, I've
Mike: gotta watch his channel. His, his is way better than mine, way better or is, is incredible what he is because he is an actual YouTuber. Whereas I'm like just some guy who is mish smashing stuff together and, you know, watched some held to YouTube videos before. But I'm not, I haven't come from like a YouTube background or anything. Like I said, I'm a PE teacher, you know, it is. Uh, so that's, his stuff is really, but like, that, that really excites me is like he's actually getting so many newbies coming into the space and like there's so many creators now that are actually educating people properly. And it's like, I can see like how this could be. It would just help that snowball, when people actually are given good information in a concise way, they'll be a lot more receptive to it. Whereas I think, you know, even this time four years ago, there was so little, like there was even so few podcasts and stuff. So I think even in these last, really in this last ball run, there's just been so many better co content creators and stuff coming into the space. So it, it can only help with the education side of things really.
Anja: Yeah. And I have heard people say, I can't remember exactly who to attribute this to, but um, people have said that adoption from here on is not going to be price led. It's going to be narrative led. And the more storytellers and and creative people that we have in this space, the better it is. Um, one of the issues that I had studying my, um, podcast was I was like, well, who would listen to me? I don't have a traditional finance background. I'm just a girl. I'm still learning myself, um, who would listen to me. But then I get people saying, I love how you explain this, or, I love how you explain that. And, you know, I think it's nice also to see like a female-led voice, especially in Australia. 'cause we've only had one, um, podcast through in Australia and she's no longer doing it because it just is very time consuming. Um, especially when you have guests on and you have to like, do research on them, read their books, and it, it takes a lot of time. And, um. I don't know what the future of my channel is, but I've also had some, not many, it's mostly Bitcoiners, but I have had some, um, newbies interested in, again, uh, even though it is somewhat beginner friendly, I'm kind of having conversation with people, um, with the assumption that they have some basic understanding of it. And a lot of people who are, you know, new to Bitcoin, they need to go right back to the beginning. Um, so it still comes across as very jargon, even though that's not my intention. Um, so I might need to yeah, create like some sort of introductory series myself that, you know, they can go to and come back and listen to the podcast if that's what's interest them.
Mike: Yeah, I guess what's so hard is when you have guests on is obviously you can't control what they say, and so they will just speak in whatever language comes across to them. So. Like you say, they will just use jargon and they might not even realize that they're using jargon. And so again, this is something that I've learned from doing a deep dive into like the Knots core stuff, is that once I then understood a lot of things, um, from what core was trying to say, as in literally like a week before, I had no idea what this word meant. And then I started like just flippantly using this word, you know, such as like BRC 20 or inscription and you know, like all of these things where if you're not from the bitcoin world's, like what are you talking about? You know? And so literally within a week I sort of went from not even knowing what these things were to then just using them in passing and then being like, hang on, no, people don't understand what that means. And then sort of having to backtrack again and then explain like, this thing is part of this. And, you know, so it's, it is super hard. It's super, super hard to, um. To always keep it beginner friendly. So I think there's like a bit of a balancing act of trying to keep it so that beginners can really understand, but then people that are at that next step, because really I'd even class myself as a beginner, you know, like there's still, I'm only scratching the surface on what, what Bitcoin really is and like all of the layers to it. So it is, it's not like I see myself as some expert or anything in, in the area, it's just more I know how much time and effort I've put in and I feel like I could actually help people that are starting from zero to get there quicker, if you know what I mean. So that's, and, and that would be the same thing with your podcast as well, and I think you're exactly right as well. There's, there's so few females in the space that it, it's just so beneficial each time that. Anyone comes into the space, it, it's just always gonna be beneficial. Even though I said there's loads of Bitcoin podcasts, it's still, it's still like not enough, if that makes sense. You know, we still need way more because everyone has their own person that they will relate to or will be able to learn something from in a different way. That you could have a hundred people say exactly the same thing about Bitcoin and you might only relate to one or two of them, or you might only take it in from one or two, or they use the analogy or whatever it is, or one little story that makes something click. Um, but yeah.
Anja: Yeah. So true. And I'd love to know the people in your life, your wife, for example, is she a Bitcoin or is she more like, is this a crazy hobby of yours or
Mike: a bit of both? Um, she, she gets. I'm saying, uh, she, she won't even watch my videos, but she, she'll, she'll watch an occasional one. I'll be like, you've gotta watch this one. Just, just, you know, so like, what, what is Bitcoin? I've, I've made her watch that a couple of times 'cause I'm like, I think probably you have to understand this at least. Um, but yeah, she's, she's very much like, she's super supportive. I think that's what is, she's always, and always has been, you know, like moving abroad was very much like my idea. And then she came on board with it and then, and then it was more like she wanted to stay where I was more like, oh, let's go back. And she's like, no, I wanna stay now. You know, so she's, she's always been super, super supportive with anything that, that I do, even though I'm seen as crazy to most of my friends now. But, um, she, she's very understanding. Uh, and she, she definitely gets the idea, but she, yeah, she's not like. Probably like me or you in, in Bitcoin sense. Like she wouldn't, she wouldn't have like that much of a, a deep care about it. It's like, yeah, Bitcoin, Bitcoin's cool. Bitcoin makes sense, but that's it. You know? So
Anja: yeah, my parents think I'm absolutely like, they're like, why do you care about this so much? Especially my mom, my dad's more, more supportive 'cause he's like, I love this for you. You found your passion. And my mom's like, why are you burning out trying to teach people or, yeah. It's
Mike: just, I love it. Yeah. Well I haven't even told my parents. So that's, that's how supportive they are. Well, there's this just 'cause I've, I've multiple times dropped Bitcoin, you know, and tried to explain bits to my dad and he's not receptive of it at all. What I'm actually thinking of doing is sitting down with them and I'm gonna see if I can record it as well. 'cause I think this would be amazing. Like if I can actually sit down with him and show them that two hour video and like. Pause it, let them have conversation around it and stuff, just because I think it's that important. But the time is not right just yet. Like, I, I just need to, when when the time's Right. You know, because like I say, I haven't even told them that I, I have this channel, a big part of why I did it was for them, but it needs to be like, I can't just WhatsApp that, that to them. They will literally be like, you are crazy. What are you doing? Like, you know, why are you doing this? They, they won't even really like take it in. I need to actually sit down with them and, and show it to them. Um, I think I have sent it to like my, my sisters and some other close, but again, haven't really had any questions for my sisters, so I've never pushed anything. I've just been like, I'd really appreciate if you watched this one video. It's like 10 minutes. That's it, you know, just to see if it peaks the curiosity and then I'll allow people to come back to me and then. We can have a chat if they want to, like, because there's nothing worse than trying to, it's almost like a religion, isn't it? Fine, you know, people, people see it as you're in like this cult or something that they're trying to get them in. And most people are like, are you in a Ponzi scheme? Like, are you just, you know, doing some sort
Speaker 4: of pyramid? Are you in a MLM trying to sell me? Like, what are they called? Arbon or whatever the MLM things are. I'm like, oh man, no, no I'm not. But uh, yeah,
Anja: so it's so funny. But in where you live now in your local community, are, are you involved in any like local meetups or things like that? You do have other Bitcoin is, you're not all alone like,
Mike: yeah, finally, but I, again, really only since starting the channel, I dunno why, like, I've just been putting it off because I was like, oh, there's gonna be just like, it's gonna be five weirdos and I'm just gonna have to speak. But then I just. I put my big poy pants and eventually went to one. So yeah, there's one that's like an hour away that I go to. Um, I really should, like, I, I'm like an hour away from like four or five. I should go to others as well, but I just haven't again got wrapped, you know, it is time and stuff isn't there, you know, family life and all that sort of stuff. So, um, but yeah, I've been going to conferences. There was one in Manchester like last weekend, so I went to that. That was really cool. There was another one in another place in England where I went to, so I've gone to way more in-person things and it has helped massively. And actually, um, I do a, a podcast with TC who does like the road to one Bitcoin. He's got a really good channel actually. Um, and I. We are, we are going to speak to some farmers like next month. That's amazing. 'cause they're interested. And so yeah, it's things like that where I'm really excited about. I'm like super excited. You know, if you can actually get, just even from a purely selfish point of view, like if I can buy food using Bitcoin that's massive. Like that is literally, you're like 90% of the way there to being in the circular economy. Like that's really the only expense that you need other than shelter each month that the only thing that you really need is food. So if I can find someone to buy food from using vehicle Bitcoin, and then that would be huge. So, yeah, I'm excited about that.
Anja: We have a butcher in, in Northern Rivers here that accepts Bitcoin. Um, but as I told you before you joined the call, we're planning an event next year and we wanna get more producers in the region to start accepting Bitcoin. Um, but I love that you're doing something for the farmers because, um, the talk that I did at the Bush Bash just gone, uh, was about Bitcoin adoption, and I kind of focused on three key areas. The first one is user experience. The second one is reaching into, like tapping into subcultures. And you know, things like I use some case studies from, um, Bitcoin based in New Zealand. They have put together, um, curated bitcoin educational sessions just for farmers. So again, it's taking their unique situation, needs, desires into context and applying Bitcoin to that. A lot of farmers are obviously very like weather dependent or seasoned dependent. You know, so kind of understanding hard money principles really benefits them. Um, and then the third topic was more about like, how can we start, um, engaging with the crypto community because they're already halfway converted. They're just. Haven't heard an opposing view. A lot of them would be very open. Some are so deep in, in, in trying to sell their tokens that they obviously would be the less, um, open-minded ones. But there's heaps that are kind of like, I've had friends that are, you know, ex shit coins and they're like, lost a lot of money, shit coining. And they said, if I just knew what I know now about Bitcoin, I could have had so much more money. And unfortunately, that is the true, like that is the case for 90% of people. Um, unless you're some sort of an insider, which most people aren't, you're probably gonna, you burn through a lot of money. Um, but I'm also curious to know from your YouTube channel, what are some of the most common, like myths that you need to bust with nubes? Like what, what is, what are some of the persistent things that keep coming up?
Mike: It's a really good question. I, I, I honestly haven't found like a common thread. It has been really, really diverse, which in some ways is quite good to see, um, because it's not like, but also it's not, because if there was a really obvious one, then I could just make a video on it and like, there you go. That one's done. But, um, yeah, I, I think probably some of the main things are, um, well, yeah, a lot of people do come from like, shit corny, so they just think, well, why, you know, Casper, I've heard Casper numerous times. I'm like, oh my God. And so I did kind of do a video, which it, it really was more around like why Bitcoin is a protocol and really digging into that, like doing deep dive on that. And really that's the only video that I would ever send to a ship Coiner. It's just like, if you watch this and actually just try and come at it. Try not to come in with biases, just try and actually listen to what I'm saying and then go and do your own research. Like, I'll even give you links and stuff to go and do your own research. Then you can't really argue with it. Like once you really understand what the protocol is, then there really is, everything else is just noise. It really is. Um, so yeah, you get, you get a few people that say that. A lot of people are just like, oh, you know, Bitcoin's just a scam. And like, it's a, you get the, the standard, like it's a Ponzi scheme. You can only buy and sell it to, you can only sell it to someone that's willing to pay more. And so it's just kind of like debunking some of those things. Um, and a lot of people are so they, they just still really believe in the current system. They, they do not see it as a problem. They're like, yeah, but it is you, you know? So on, on the video, I think I mentioned something like, how. Like bank bailouts, you know, and so Silicon Valley, it had a bailout and, uh, the big ones in 2008 and you know, Lehman Brothers and things like that. And someone commented like, oh yeah, but that was, you've, you've forgot to say that was only for like two days and, and no one actually lost any money. And it's like, you're missing the point that is not, you know, there's, there's, I could list so many other countries where they have lost their money and stuff. I'm just kind of showing you the facts that it is fragile and it doesn't mean that it's, you're not going to in the future. It doesn't mean it is going to be safe in the future. I mean, and then a lot of people are, oh yeah, it's backed by the government and they can just print the money and give the money back to you. It's like, but do you not understand that's the issue? Like you are literally devaluing everyone's money. You know, when, when they do that, there's actually a video I just stumbled across recently. I have no idea who it was, and he does a really good job of explaining how. Your money gets devalued when things get priced and just sort of, it, it was more of a small scale. You know, imagine that you are in one country and it's like a hundred pounds circulating around. If it goes up to 200 pounds, then if you only had 10 pounds, you've just got like half the purchasing power of what's, you know, and just simplified like that. And it was actually a really good one. I thought that would've been a good one for newbies. Um, but yeah, there's, it, it is all the gen general stuff, Quantum's come up, you know, a a lot of those kind of things come up. What if the sun
Anja: explodes?
Mike: Oh yeah, internet. What, what if the internet goes down or whatever it is, you know, the, all of that sort of stuff comes up, but there's not, there's not one common thing. I wouldn't say it's very, very diverse, which, like I said, I, I feel like it's quite a good thing. 'cause yeah, it shows that people are actually thinking about it.
Anja: Diverse, but I would probably also assume that nothing new under the sun. Like are you getting any, any comments that you're like, oh, I've never heard or thought of this before? It's mostly just on, yeah. Yeah.
Mike: Again, and that's why my conviction's just gone so high, particularly these last few years because I think it was like 2020 where I really started understanding Bitcoin properly. Um, but probably 2022 is when I was totally orange peeled. It was like, and just, it was just like fully, like there is no second best. And what, once you see it, you just can't go back. Then, you know, like there's no, and this is the other thing that I was saying to a friend the other day. I was like, I've never met someone who has gone down the Bitcoin rabbit hole and then has just had nothing, wanted, nothing to do with it. Like once, once I've met someone that really understands it. They just want more and more to do with it. You know, like I've, I'm still yet to meet someone that's like, oh, I really get this now. And like, Bitcoin's going to it. It has the potential to do so much. And then a year later be like, actually no, it's broken. I'm not, I'm not, I I'm still yet to even hear of anyone that's done that. I know there was people in like the fork wars, you know, like Craig Wright era and stuff, who believed that Bitcoin cash was the real Bitcoin. So there's obviously people that have been sort of misled like that. And actually, that's what I really think is happening with this whole core knots thing. I do think there's gonna be people that are misled and then maybe give up on Bitcoin because whatever their perception of Bitcoin is hasn't been met. And so then they might remove themselves. So that, that's, that's really the threat that I see from this is, is people getting so fixated on this and so worked up about it. Um, but. Other than those kind of instances, there's, there's no one that's really like, fully understood Bitcoin that has just stopped caring about it. You know, people only care more and more about it. So yeah, I think that's, that's the thing for me where it's just like, well, surely this is worth looking into when you see that. Or if you can find someone that doesn't believe in it or, you know, shares content about this that doesn't believe in it, please send it to me. 'cause I'd love to see it. And, um, I have had a couple of people that send me something, but then one, one of them was like a BSB guy, you know, Bitcoin, Satoshi vision. So again, like just another fork. And I was like, yeah, he, uh, he's trying to sell you something. He's not, it's not that he doesn't believe in Bitcoin, it is that he has his own agenda and he is trying to, trying to sell you something. But yeah, that's, that's kind of what I've seen anyway. It is, um. It's very diverse.
Anja: Yeah. I can't think of anyone, but yeah, if I do come across someone, I will let you know. Um, but before we wrap up, I'm also very curious to know who were some of the biggest, like most influential bitcoiners or books or podcasts that you've listened to in your journey that you'd recommend?
Mike: That's a good question. There's so many, um, obviously like Andreas Antonopoulos, if you have the time or desire to go and listen to Three Hour Joe Rogan podcast, I would say there, they're so worth. He didn't it like 20 14, 20 16, you know, so I didn't listen to them then, but I've listened to them recently or in more recent times, and it's just like, oh my God, this guy, like, he just, he knew it. He just, he just knew. He, he just saw it way before other people really. And he's, he's, he's pretty good at explaining it. I, I find, anyway, it took me a while to sort of. Get into his brain if you, you know what I mean? So like, I remember hearing some of his stuff before. I was just like, oh my God, this guy's too technical and I can't listen to him. So I think it helps if you've already got a bit of an understanding of Bitcoin to listen to him. Jeff Booth is probably who I would point any newbie to, just because I think he's got such a good way of, that he, he does focus on the global free market aspect. And I think that is for, for me anyway, like I think that's far more important that people understand what Bitcoin could be for humanity. And I think that's what will do a lot of the orange peel in, um, because I think it's far bigger than just getting rich and number go up or anything like that. Jack Muller's? Yeah,
Anja: Jack Muller's. He's so young, but he's so convincing and I love watching his keynote. I,
Mike: I've sort of, I dunno, recently with all his 21 stuff, I've, I'm a bit. I'm a bit disappointed with what he is, what he's doing there. To be honest, I can't, can't blame it. It is still massive like Bitcoin adoption. But um, I saw him in Prague and his speech in Prague was amazing. He, he sort of talked about how money has broken so much from like 1971 and that was, yeah, his, his talk was really, really good. Actually. I really like the Bitcoin way, so like their whole philosophy and concept. I saw Michael Jordan, the other, Michael Jordan saw him in Prague as well. His talk with there was really good talking about spending Bitcoin rather than just only saving and hodd in. Um, 'cause I think there are the kind of, are these two separate camps really? There's the, the Michael sailors, the institutions about making money number go up, holding onto it and then there's the sort of more cipher punk like spend Bitcoin, make it circular economy, turn it into this global free market, you know, so there are kind of two and I don't see any issue with that at the moment. All good for Bitcoin adoption sort of thing. But yeah, I definitely sway more to the, uh, global green market side. Same.
Anja: I will not be satisfied if Bitcoin is just a store of value. I would like to see it as a medium of exchange and I hope to be around to see that happen.
Mike: Exactly, exactly. Well, the best book I would recommend for beginners is, um, the British case for bi, uh, British Case for Bitcoin, VJ Boyer, Patti. That one was probably the book for me that really clicked. Um, but yeah, I mean I could literally list like loads of other books, but those, that's probably like the main place I would start for, for beginners anyway.
Anja: Yep. Sounds great. I love it. Um, any final thoughts before we wrap up?
Mike: No, not really. Other than spend Bitcoin, that that is literally, that's probably like the main thing that I would love to. See more of, and people, and it's not even just spending it, just ask, ask people if they accept Bitcoin. Like I've just, so before our meetup last month, we were, we, uh, me and a friend were in a kebab shop, like just near it. And I just ask, ask everywhere. I'm like, do you accept Bitcoin? And it's always a bit like tongue cheek. I always know what answer's gonna come back. But this guy was actually the owner and he was like, no, why? Well, I, why should I accept? And I was like, well you, it was basically like free fees, like you, you how I asked him like, how many, what percent do you pay on your card reader? And he was like, it's about 1.5%. I was like, well if you accept Bitcoin from me now there is no fees. Just literally download the app, download wallet of Satoshi on your phone and I can send you Bitcoin right now. And it was like, no way. And he actually did it. I was like, that, you know, that's just so cool. There's also an ice cream truck that comes near us who has like start, started taking Bitcoin from me. And so it is just little things like that where. More so than that one person. It's like the network effect. And they might go and tell someone else or be like, there's some guy who's like paying me in Bitcoin, and you know, and so it, it's like you just, you just never know what it will do. Um, but I, I see that as how it's gonna reach, like mass adoption really is, is that, um, spend Bitcoin ask people if they accept Bitcoin, even if they say no, it's just getting it in their head. I think that's, that's a massive thing.
Anja: Yeah, that's one part that I like. I like spending my Bitcoin, but I'm so embarrassed to go up to businesses that I know won't accept it to be like, Hey, do you accept Bitcoin? Just like, yeah, I need to get over that fear. Um, because I know people who do it.
Mike: I, yeah, I, I've started doing it in like, Tescos is like a big supermarket here where I know they're never gonna say it, but it's not for Tesco's, it's for that one person I'm interacting with. It's like, do, do you accept Bitcoin by a chance? They're like, no, what's, what's Bitcoin? I'm like, it opens up a conversation if nothing else. And so, um, yeah, but I, my wife is always like, ah, can you please stop doing that? Like,
Anja: yep. I, um, one thing I do do that I like doing is just wearing like t-shirts. I was wearing a t-shirt called Fix the Money, fix the World. Um, ah, nice. And I just go get my morning coffee and every now and again I will get a person who's like, can I take a photo of your t-shirt? Where did you get it from? Or just a random dude coming up to me. He's like, that's it, you're right about that. And then just walk away. And I'm like, okay, is he a Bitcoin or I don't know, but I'm like,
Speaker 3: yeah, that's so good.
Anja: Love it. Well, thanks so much for your time and thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Annie. It's been great.
Anja: That's it for this week on The Honest Money Show, a big shout out again to shop bitcoin.com au for making this episode possible. Until next week, stay smart with your money and stay decentralized.