Dave (GM): Alright. Here we are. Tales of the Old West, Granada Springs, the next episode. And finally, episode where we are reunited with, Nathaniel Hawcock, who, for various reasons, was unfortunately not able to be with us for the last couple of episodes. So let's just kick off then with introductions around the table. So, Andy, do you wanna go first?
Nathaniel Horcock: Okay. My name is Andrew. I play Nathaniel Hawcock, and like our esteemed GM said, unfortunately, I will have not been able to make it, but hopefully I'll make up for it by dying in the first second or something like that.
Dave (GM): That's the plan.
Marion Freeman: Tony?
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. I'm Tony. My character is Jimmy Harston, a rancher, younger brother of William Harleston, former character who died doing the right thing. And I'm trying to trying to live up to the example set by my brother in his memory.
Dave (GM): Cool. And Matthew?
Marion Freeman: I'm Marion Freeman. I am part owner of of the ranch, and indeed I've got the most capital. So, really, I'm the boss. But, I am of mixed race, and therefore, I don't say that too often. I found some great actual black ranches. Found 1 in Texas. Lived a totally un remarkable life except for coming from slavery, borrowing money, building a ranch, and giving money to charity. Okay. Lovely. Lovely bloke. Let's So that that's by the by. We're doing research still.
Dave (GM): Always doing research.
Marion Freeman: We're always doing research. Yeah. That's it. And I started off as effectively as a bit of a gambler in in my life story, but I'm not very good at that. Sorry. I don't push my luck. I am turning out to with my experience point spend to have some authority. And in the last adventure, I did something so splendid, in terms of riding my horse very fast. You know, I've got 4 successes or whatever I've decided to spend my last XP on making the horse a companion animal.
Dave (GM): Ah, cool. Nice.
Marion Freeman: I can't remember what that entails, but I'm sure we'll work it out when we need to.
Dave (GM): The horse stands by you. If you're willing to
Marion Freeman: When when I'm killed, the horse
Dave (GM): Hello. Hello. So, your horse is your closest companion. When it dies, you lose this talent, but can take it again at half price for a new horse. Your horse gains the loyal quality. This can take your horse's terrible quality over the norm maximum and will stand by your side and defend you if you're broken. Cool.
Marion Freeman: That's useful.
Dave (GM): And then the level 2 of that, the advanced level, is you and a horse are so in tune that your steed can make an attack during combat, in addition to your action.
Marion Freeman: I might be wondering. So it can rear and Yeah. Brought cake and stuff. Cake. Yeah. What's it got for fighting? Which which awesome I look at here. Good old boy. So, yeah. It could with grip of 4. That's not bad. It's got 1 in fight but still.
Dave (GM): So that's 5 dice. Five dice. Not bad. And being kicked in the head by a horse is never gonna be fun.
Marion Freeman: No. No.
Dave (GM): Okay. So who can remember and who wants to say talk about what happened last time?
Jimmy Harlesden: Well, remembering what happened last time, you know, is one thing. But I have got the email that you wrote, which you you described what happened last time. So I can. It was a long time ago. So we decided to take a herd up to Albuquerque to to the market. We were asked by someone called Katie Picker, who was John Chisholm's man in Granada Springs.
Nathaniel Horcock: I wonder
Dave (GM): if he could if
Jimmy Harlesden: he could join us. So you so he was going back to see Chisholm bringing him a package. Various things happened on the way. We encountered a gang of riders who said that the, the picker was Chisholm's van, which obviously we knew, and that he was taking a message from Donald McGinn to Chisholm.
Marion Freeman: There were 2 things. There was a gang of riders who I faced down actually on my end,
Jimmy Harlesden: which I've
Marion Freeman: totally forgotten about, but reading it in your Yeah. Network. Brilliant. That was
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. That
Dave (GM): was a very good very good role because there were 4 of them.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Only one.
Jimmy Harlesden: On your own.
Dave (GM): And but there's
Marion Freeman: the other riders were there 2 riders who were part of, the ranch. They
Jimmy Harlesden: So, yeah. So there was speculation that gang that you faced down was the Kyler gang. Kyler gang. Notorious group of cattle rustlers. And all bad folks, so you were lucky not to be just killed. Mhmm.
Dave (GM): Frankly. Good presence roles, I seem to remember.
Marion Freeman: With my added authority.
Jimmy Harlesden: So we met they met up with some of the guys from town who had been a trailing picker, and they told us that this this package from, Picker that was going back to Chisholm was offering him a deal from Domino McGinn. And basically McGinn was offering to be Chisholm's man in the area in return for basically being given the main share of the Spanish land grants in the Southern Rio Grande that are being given out at the moment, and Chisholm obviously is very influential in that. I think they these other 4 guys were keen to basically just kill Picker and stop him, from taking this package back to Chisholm. Again, being the good people that we are, we were not comfortable with that plan, but we did kind of agree to kind of turn a blind eye while they went off to do whatever they were gonna do. I think they were then just killed.
Marion Freeman: We we had a very intense, campfire conversation where there were hands near pistols. And we persuaded them to let him ride off, but we knew that they were gonna chase after him. And later on, you, I think, found their body?
Jimmy Harlesden: We did find them dead. Yeah. So I think I
Dave (GM): didn't get that well. Eugene Eugene Rayburn and Ardel Gilchrist were the 2 people who were found you found dead. The other 2 that were with them previously were, Dimas Paquito and Milagro Vicenta. And the Rayburn and Paquito families, are 2 of the big influential families in Granada Springs. But you're I couldn't tell them both.
Jimmy Harlesden: But why they were keen to stop McGinn doing this deal with, with Chisholm. So we then persuaded Picker to let us, to set up a meeting with Chisholm for us. And we were basically gonna try and argue that it was not a good thing to, you know, make make McGinn so influential, around Junard Springs, and that there should be, like, a more equitable showing out of the the land. We had a quite a long conversation with him. He opened the package from McGinn while we were there, and basically that was offering as we'd expected to become Chisholm's representative in the area in return for taking the lion's share of the land grants. He also said he'd taken care of Chisholm's other man who we had met, and obviously had been
Dave (GM): Yeah. Killed. He's called Mickle Herman.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. I think we quite liked, but McGowan was saying to Chisholm about he'd he was disloyal to Chisholm, so he killed him, on behalf of Chisholm, but offered $1,000 in the compensation, for that. But we had quite a long conversation with Chisholm, and in the end, I think we basically agreed that we would be Chisholm's representative in Genoa Springs. Agents of interest is
Dave (GM): is how he described it without really going into a great deal of detail about what that actually meant.
Jimmy Harlesden: So yeah. So I think we I'm not sure we yell, like, so into detail about what that would mean for McGinn's offer and what it would mean for
Dave (GM): us. But I
Jimmy Harlesden: think we kind of assumed it would mean the land grants might be shared out a bit more equitably, and not all just given to the McGinn's. I think that was that was where we left it. We did sell our herd.
Marion Freeman: I think McGinn managed to convince him that we think the McGinns are guilty of trading his rustled cattle.
Dave (GM): Yes. I think that's true.
Marion Freeman: I agree. Yes. And that $1,000 that with part of that bribe was probably $1,000 earned off the back of that stolen cattle. So that's the key point.
Dave (GM): Yep. Yep.
Marion Freeman: I'm hoping that McGinn isn't looked at too favorably in the Spanish land grants. Because despite Dave dropping heavy hints about the land grants, we, of course, did nothing about actually, you know,
Dave (GM): applying. Just making sure that you were aware of the opportunity if you wanted to try and take it, but it's entirely up to you.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. I think maybe let's, you know, when we write this campaign up in in some future version, we went out really explicit that that's what we meant to be doing.
Dave (GM): And, you know, he just completely blanked it. Okay. You you give me shit now. Okay.
Marion Freeman: Which may be what most of the players want to do.
Dave (GM): Well, that is true. That is true. Yeah. So you sold your herd reasonably well. You will get a bonus on your end of season, turn of the season business role when it comes to it. And you saddle up and headed home. Now for that time, Nathaniel Hawcock was doing all the work.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. Riding the ranch. Running the ranch. Staying out the way. Staying out the way. Was it the McGinn's, isn't it? Is it
Dave (GM): The McGinn family is the one that you have crossed more than
Nathaniel Horcock: once. Once. Yes. Yes. Yes. Swinking, maybe. Yes.
Dave (GM): Let me just find
Nathaniel Horcock: that one. Because she your server arranged the, caused the gunfire, which wasn't it? Yes. They got they got Tony's brother shot. I seem to remember.
Dave (GM): Yeah. So this is Well,
Marion Freeman: when yeah.
Dave (GM): So this is the Tannehill family.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. Yeah.
Dave (GM): And the the the first time you came across them was a guy called Gus Tannehill, and he was involved in cattle rustling for Domino McGinn.
Marion Freeman: And Which Killing the family.
Nathaniel Horcock: And you
Dave (GM): were and killing the family there. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah.
Dave (GM): You, successfully kind of called them out over that. Had a gunfight with him. He was shot and wounded, Quite badly wounded. After that, his family, his cousins and brothers came looking for you. And it was in that fight
Nathaniel Horcock: That they got shot dead. Yeah.
Dave (GM): William Harleston was shot dead. But the town was kind of on your side. And the guy who did that was then shot in the back by one of the 2 Blessings.
Nathaniel Horcock: That's true. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Or the
Dave (GM): 2 they were called Blessing who run Blessing Saloon. 2 former slaves who are now making a good living in United Springs, and were not impressed with the Tannehill gang, and what they were doing. But unfortunately, that was too late for William William Marsden, because he was lying dead in the dust at that point. So yeah. You don't get on totally well with the begins. Dylan McGinn doesn't even talk to you. His wife, Mary, does does kind of what what what's expected, you know, meets the forms. So when William was was buried, she Yeah. Had her go to the McGinn family at at the funeral. And And I
Nathaniel Horcock: heard that you locked me down and set her out of the lakes.
Dave (GM): Yeah. And expressed expressed a desire for bad blood between the families to be put aside and do French. Whether that was sincere or not is entirely up for you to judge.
Marion Freeman: One thing that happened, we we did have a bit of a yes. So one of the other things you missed in a previous event when we went off to find his mum.
Nathaniel Horcock: Right. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: In Silvertown, we ran up against another family.
Nathaniel Horcock: Oh, you guys are having fun on The Bullard.
Dave (GM): The Bullard.
Jimmy Harlesden: Taylor Bullard.
Marion Freeman: And we got a message at the beginning of the last adventure from them saying they were going to exact some sort of price, or they felt we owed
Jimmy Harlesden: Well, Matthew Ballard was the, basically, the guy abusing my mom and
Nathaniel Horcock: Well, she knew
Dave (GM): she killed him. She killed him.
Jimmy Harlesden: In fact,
Marion Freeman: she fell off.
Nathaniel Horcock: She shot him.
Marion Freeman: She shot him in the end. We we had a rather messy fight where there was quite a lot of missing going on.
Jimmy Harlesden: Oh, right. Okay.
Nathaniel Horcock: Whoops.
Dave (GM): But you did defeat him. But then, Minnie Mathieson, your mother
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah.
Dave (GM): Took the gun and blew his brains out.
Nathaniel Horcock: Okay. And here
Dave (GM): was the younger boy. He was a 21 year old brother of Taylor Bullard, who is the eldest son of a guy called John Bullard, who basically set up Silver City.
Nathaniel Horcock: Right.
Dave (GM): The elder Bullard is dead, so Taylor is now the head of the family.
Nathaniel Horcock: Mhmm. The
Dave (GM): the power behind the Bullard family in Silver City. But, yeah, he basically said,
Nathaniel Horcock: How far is Silver City away from this?
Dave (GM): Right? Which is fair.
Marion Freeman: It's a couple of nights
Jimmy Harlesden: to cover those
Dave (GM): dry right.
Nathaniel Horcock: It's not
Dave (GM): it's not a 1000000 miles away. So Silver City is over here. Mhmm. It's on on the bigger map. Silver City is there, and you are there. And each square on that map is 12 miles. Okay. But, yeah, he basically said, you know, you you owe us for murdering Matthew. We accept you as a bad sort, so we're not gonna come for revenge. But in lieu of that, I consider that you owe me a favor.
Nathaniel Horcock: Sounds like a fair fight to me not being impartial with the
Dave (GM): whole purpose. That favor as an icy fit. Not an
Marion Freeman: incredibly fair fight. I can't remember
Dave (GM): sleeping in
Marion Freeman: and sitting under the bed.
Nathaniel Horcock: Oh, no. And you
Dave (GM): were shooting when he wasn't wearing anything pretty much.
Nathaniel Horcock: Oh, alright. So so much for being honorable people.
Marion Freeman: Well, I think we were it was an honorable fight.
Jimmy Harlesden: Well, I think Not
Marion Freeman: exactly fair.
Dave (GM): Yes. So right. So you you guys are returning home, kind of as just before they get back, Andy, you receive a letter.
Nathaniel Horcock: Do I? Have fun. Lovely.
Jimmy Harlesden: Can you read?
Marion Freeman: I know
Dave (GM): it's not great for casting, but it's up to Andy whether he wants to read it out. Because I think you probably get that on the day these guys come back.
Nathaniel Horcock: Alright. Okay. So I can read it.
Marion Freeman: It's surprising really that nobody said, oh, here's a letter for your, for your mate. She gave that that way.
Nathaniel Horcock: They might
Marion Freeman: It's a long way out of town.
Dave (GM): It might have it might have been that way.
Marion Freeman: Well, no. Maybe we're running back as as some messenger boy from town is riding towards us having delivered the letter. Let's imagine that.
Dave (GM): Does it really matter that much, Howard?
Marion Freeman: Well, because she's reading the letter.
Dave (GM): Oh, I see what you mean. The one thing you do learn when you get back is that the bodies of Eugene Rayburn and Ardel Gilchrist have been returned to United Springs, and their funerals are being planned. We're a few days ahead of sort of the the traditional harvest festival in Yonada Springs. There's there's preparations happening for, for a sort of a community party effectively.
Jimmy Harlesden: Well, that sounds like nothing could possibly go wrong with a big town party.
Marion Freeman: I mean, this town has quite a lot of parties.
Dave (GM): Well, it's had 2 this year. Yeah. You know, so it's not that many.
Marion Freeman: I wonder whether as we ride into town, we should pay mister Abert a visit. What did we we we haven't discovered the bodies. We must have
Dave (GM): I think you took them to Albuquerque Yeah. And then handed over to the sheriff. We then returned them to Yeah. Your house
Marion Freeman: breaks. Did we leave any message for Abraham? Not that I'm aware
Dave (GM): of. No.
Marion Freeman: But we told Mhmm. The sheriff what we thought had happened. No. We didn't. So if you made an assumption about that again
Dave (GM): Yeah.
Nathaniel Horcock: Okay. I'll try and read this then. Clear, are we? Yep. Dear, it has been 10 years since we last spoke at the moment of the battle of of Yellow Town when the bastard Yankees took the journal from us. I guess whether they want revenge for for when we turn the hide of the fort pillow the much before. We heard you've been taken captive and held in the hell hell hole, Camp Douglas, and we rightfully granted learned that that after all this time, you've come through come through alive. Oh, god. Sorry, I
Jimmy Harlesden: must have gone.
Dave (GM): That's alright. That's my handwriting.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yes. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Okay. Yeah. So it's been 10 years near on 10 years since we last spoke on the morning of the Battle of Yellow Tavern, when the bastard Yankees took the general from us. I guess they'd wanted revenge after we turned our hide before pillow the month before. We heard you'd been taken captive and held in that hellhole, Camp Douglas. We're rightly glad to have learned after all this time that you came through it alive. And just think how surprised you were to hear your name at the market in Albuquerque, and that and that fate should have brought us so near to one another at this time. For we are looking to put a right to put right a grievous wrong from those old days. You'll remember Colonel Macaulay Keith, our commanding officer. After Yellow Tavern, he fled, taking the wages for the regiment with him, never to be seen again, until we tracked him down. We intend to find him and take back what is ours. That money is ours, and yours, and the men's. We will ride to Junarda Springs just as soon as we can and hope to bring you into our endeavors. Thinking fondly fondly of our time as brothers in arms fighting for gold in the Confederacy, I'm hoping we will find you well. Yours, Lieutenant Nixon Reid, 2nd Lieutenant Clarence Elliott, 2nd Lieutenant Reuben McDermott.
Marion Freeman: Just remember where I came from.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yes. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Dave (GM): How'd you
Marion Freeman: reading this letter out loud to me? I may be giving you a bit of a hard stare.
Nathaniel Horcock: Well, I am of of Virginia stocks, so they are.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. So we none of us, should be blamed for where we're born. What we should be blamed for are our actions. When these people come, what will you say to them?
Dave (GM): Yeah. Have you telling us about
Jimmy Harlesden: the letter, by the
Marion Freeman: way? Yeah. I I see it when you said I'm
Nathaniel Horcock: gonna meet
Jimmy Harlesden: him. Okay. 2 hours. 2 hours. Fair enough.
Nathaniel Horcock: Well, as far as I'm basically concerned, the war is something I'd rather forget. That's why I've never mentioned it to you. That's why I never mentioned it really apart from odd hints, especially dealing with the town when we had our little crash with the town again.
Marion Freeman: So what I'm saying is, you know, I'm I'm not
Nathaniel Horcock: What?
Marion Freeman: I'm not I'm not taking sides on stuff that's happened in the past. What I'm asking you is when this
Nathaniel Horcock: left tenant I don't know. That's one of
Marion Freeman: the second left tenants, lieutenant, sorry. And these 2nd lieutenants, come knocking at the door. What are you gonna say to them? It's what you do now that I'm interested in. Not what you did in
Nathaniel Horcock: the past. Past. It is something I most probably got to go to the blessing to ponder. Oh, so much again.
Marion Freeman: A blessing.
Nathaniel Horcock: To be honest, yeah.
Marion Freeman: Make sure you wanted to sell then. Okay. Back in style.
Jimmy Harlesden: Good enough. Sounds like they, you know, sounds like there could be there could be money in it. How much?
Marion Freeman: Well, there is there is a wrong that's been committed to men. And we have we have seen ourselves, very much, on the side of right in many of these moral arguments. This is a particularly interesting moral argument there. What do you know? So they they tell you that he
Nathaniel Horcock: They fled. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Colonel Macaulay Keith ran away. Were you aware of that before this letter?
Nathaniel Horcock: No. I think I must have been dragged off by the Yankees then. The battle.
Marion Freeman: By the federal army. So you know nothing of this?
Nathaniel Horcock: No.
Marion Freeman: Therefore, we round this table I'm assuming we're probably at the blessing of the house. Yeah. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horcock: This is cool.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. We free around this table and this bottle of whiskey.
Nathaniel Horcock: Mhmm.
Marion Freeman: No. Nothing of Macaulay's motives.
Nathaniel Horcock: No.
Marion Freeman: And partly thinks anyone stealing from the Confederate army deserves applause and praise. Not being hunted like a dog years later. But on the other side, every man deserves a day's pay for a day's work, which was kind of the point. And if, you know, if if if you rob the men, I'm torn is all I'm saying.
Nathaniel Horcock: Mhmm. I don't know. Yeah. Like I say undecided because I don't really wanted to know about well, that's part of the reason why I came west. I didn't want to sit south then, didn't I? Because But
Marion Freeman: it's interesting because you, you know, you make no big thing of your actions during the war, good or bad. That's all in the past. They simply go putting their rank down there. Mhmm. They still celebrate the positions that they held.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. I have
Dave (GM): a very quick word with you, Andy.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. Of course. Yeah. I'm making wrong. I'm just trying to my memory.
Dave (GM): We should have should have done. Yeah. Let me pick up, but I'll just quickly Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Shall we maybe Tony and I go away?
Jimmy Harlesden: And you have a conversation.
Nathaniel Horcock: We have a
Marion Freeman: call on your forecast.
Dave (GM): That is That's
Jimmy Harlesden: pleasing.
Dave (GM): It can only be 30 seconds, so Mhmm. Don't make yourselves too comfortable out there.
Marion Freeman: You can't make yourselves really comfortable.
Jimmy Harlesden: Get out
Marion Freeman: with the snooze. Yeah.
Dave (GM): So you
Nathaniel Horcock: I mean
Dave (GM): So one thing that you would know Mhmm. Is that Fort Pillow that they referenced
Nathaniel Horcock: Yes. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Was a battle that took place on the 12th April 18 64.
Nathaniel Horcock: Mhmm.
Dave (GM): And it was a confederate attack on a union 4.
Nathaniel Horcock: Right.
Dave (GM): Which is called 4 Pillow.
Nathaniel Horcock: Right. Yeah.
Dave (GM): It was a resounding victory. But after that victory, you know that the Confederate soldiers were out of control.
Nathaniel Horcock: Oh, dear.
Dave (GM): And there was a massacre. Right. And largely, it was a massacre of black soldiers.
Nathaniel Horcock: Right.
Dave (GM): Who were men of the union's 31st infantry regiment. And most of them some of them were killed in battle Mhmm. But a lot were murdered. Right.
Jimmy Harlesden: So
Nathaniel Horcock: it's it's much be one of the memories I've done. I really want to,
Dave (GM): And I guess there's a question of you're you're obviously aware of that because you would have been there.
Nathaniel Horcock: Mhmm.
Dave (GM): These three men were there as well.
Nathaniel Horcock: Right.
Dave (GM): My question to you is how how involved in that massacre was Hawcock? I'm I'm guessing from the way you are that it was something that you weren't involved in but couldn't stop.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. I think I'd be quite appalled, really, because my father was an avid a abolitionist.
Marion Freeman: Yeah.
Nathaniel Horcock: And I wanted nothing to do with the war until
Dave (GM): Until it came to to get your hotel.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yes. Yeah. So
Dave (GM): But yeah. So
Nathaniel Horcock: That's what I'm trying to think.
Marion Freeman: Did you
Dave (GM): know that 4 Pillow
Nathaniel Horcock: happened? Yeah.
Dave (GM): Then that's what happened to 4 Pillow. It's
Nathaniel Horcock: It's not something I want to remember. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Yeah. And it's it's a well known matter. It became Right. There were, you know, congressional inquiries into it.
Marion Freeman: Mhmm.
Dave (GM): And nothing came of it, of the inquiries, but it's it's a well known I might give them a role to see if they would Right. Which which is possible. They might have heard
Jimmy Harlesden: of it.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. Yeah. Well, that would make them happy. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Yeah. But yeah. So I just wanted to give the that
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. I think it was something that, yeah. Yeah. I mean, how are they well, how are they to color gentlemen, shall we say? Sorry. These three characters, can I remember what what's what's their attitude?
Dave (GM): Yes. I
Jimmy Harlesden: I think you probably know this. I'm not gonna
Dave (GM): make you make a roll. Mhmm. So, you remember these 3 men quite well. Mhmm. Lieutenant Nixon Reid was a good horseman. He's a good soldier. He was a good shot. Wasn't tough, but was competent. He was involved in the massacre, but you think possibly he kinda just went along with it rather than he wasn't actively behind it. 2nd lieutenant Clarence Elliott was a tough but good leader, strong personality, excellent horseman, strong in a fight. You don't think he was involved in the massacre. Right. And then second lieutenant, Ruben McDermott, he was cold, heartless, ruthless. A great shot, superb tracker, very well read. But he enjoyed killing. And you think He was one of the leaders. Willingly involved
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. Okay.
Marion Freeman: In
Dave (GM): the in the in the in the terrible events.
Nathaniel Horcock: Right. And there's no there's no there's no address I can reply to this letter to then?
Dave (GM): I think the only thing in it is that they were obviously in Albuquerque at some point, but there's no address. No.
Nathaniel Horcock: Okay. Alright.
Dave (GM): But when they come back in, I'll I'll give them a roll.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yes. Yeah. Okay. Well, I am thinking. Right. Okay. So reading earlier, most probably, but I think half of them is gonna say I'm not interested. Okay. I think. Because I want nothing to do with it.
Dave (GM): No. That seems fair enough. Finished?
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. Finish.
Dave (GM): Come in, guys.
Jimmy Harlesden: I think
Nathaniel Horcock: as far as I'm concerned, that's why you mentioned my right. The war's over as far as I'm concerned. Yeah. Well, it's done. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Yes. I noticed I noticed that. Yeah. Alright. Can you 2 guys, give me a insight role,
Marion Freeman: please? Insight. Let me have a look at my new cartridge. Here you go. I think I'm quite good at insight, I think. No. Not brilliant. That's only important.
Jimmy Harlesden: Oh, immediately.
Marion Freeman: Have have you been told about the new dice rolling?
Nathaniel Horcock: Not yet.
Jimmy Harlesden: Oh, yeah.
Nathaniel Horcock: When when they're making their rolls when when they're reading the letter in the Yeah. In the I'm gonna be looking the rack just to see if they do actually cotton on to the
Dave (GM): any reaction. 2 successes.
Nathaniel Horcock: Oh, dear. And so
Dave (GM): is is it 5? So 5 dice are a total dice. Yes. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: Alright. No successes. I
Dave (GM): don't think
Jimmy Harlesden: I'm gonna push.
Dave (GM): No. You're not gonna bother. Okay. You've you don't nothing comes to mind for you. Matthew, with 2 successes, you've you've heard of Fort Pillow that's mentioned in the letter.
Marion Freeman: Which is the place to hit that hell hole that he was
Nathaniel Horcock: No. That's the no. No? That's the battle.
Marion Freeman: That's the battle of Fort Pillow. Right? Yeah.
Dave (GM): Yep. Which they're referencing happened kind of a month before He was the the battle where? The other battle of there, the last time they saw Hawcock. Pillow, I think the 2 successes you know quite well. You probably don't know all the ins and outs, but it's it's notorious for having been a, a Confederate win, but followed by a massacre. Alright. And a massacre of soldiers from the Union 31st Infantry Regiment, which was a colored regiment.
Marion Freeman: Alright. Yeah. Yeah. I think I would know that. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horcock: Two sets, is it?
Dave (GM): And it's it's infamous. There was a there was a congressional inquiry afterwards. Nothing came of it, but, it's a it's an infamous atrocity, as part of the war.
Marion Freeman: Right. So yellow tavern is the one with the massive defeat. The other way afterwards, is it?
Dave (GM): Yes. Yellow tavern was a was a union victory.
Marion Freeman: So you know that hard stare I was I was giving you?
Nathaniel Horcock: It's got harder, was it?
Marion Freeman: Well, I think I think we know the reason now why why that was. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. Well, I signed it. I think I'm gonna meet them by myself and tell them that the parts aren't concerned. The war's over, and I want nothing to do with it.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. It's all very well. It doesn't say here how they're going to meet you. We'll ride for Johnard of Springs just as soon as we can and hope to bring you into our endeavors. They could turn up at the door any moment. They could walk into this bar. Yeah. Except I'm assuming they're not gonna be walking into this bar given the nature of the people that run it. So you may not have the opportunity to meet them by yourself is what I'm saying. I'm I'd be very happy if that's what did happen. But
Nathaniel Horcock: Well
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Just
Nathaniel Horcock: got just got to have a wee chat with someone.
Dave (GM): Okay. No worries.
Marion Freeman: I'll take this opportunity to have a bit of a Yeah. Editable.
Dave (GM): So you were also talking about going to the Rayburns. If you wanted to do that, or we can leave that for a little bit later. Yeah. I think, I mean, you in Yonada Springs, the Blessings is is up on the ridge near the near the mountains.
Marion Freeman: This is a new map, isn't
Dave (GM): it? No. It's the same
Marion Freeman: one. I'm
Dave (GM): thinking it'll it'll expand slightly as time goes on. And you're you can see the cemetery and you can see that there are people preparing for funerals.
Marion Freeman: Shall we go well, actually, given that we were the ones that found the bottom, we don't need Andy with us. Maybe we should leave him here. Ponder him. Ponder him. Ponder him. Bless him. Let's go up and that's their big house, isn't it?
Dave (GM): The Rayburn's house is is that one. It's on the it's on the town square by the pond.
Jimmy Harlesden: Which was the other so Eugene Raeburn and who else started? Oh, Gilchrist. Do we know the Gilchrist?
Nathaniel Horcock: Do we
Jimmy Harlesden: know the
Marion Freeman: He
Dave (GM): is, well, he was a, a hand for the Rayburn family. And
Jimmy Harlesden: the mister Quito and Milagros Vicenta, did they do we know what happened to them? Were they do they make, like, fine?
Dave (GM): No. They haven't been seen. They've they've just been missing. Okay. Yeah. Also, who's So these are talking a couple of the people that they were Alright. Seen with in the last scenario. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horcock: No. Very posh. Yeah. I like to yeah. So as long as I know what yeah.
Marion Freeman: So we're gonna leave you here pondering that while we go and speak to mister Rayburn about the bodies.
Nathaniel Horcock: Of the bodies. Who?
Marion Freeman: Family member that we found in the previous
Dave (GM): Eugene Rayburn. Yep.
Marion Freeman: Eugene and his hand.
Dave (GM): Alright. Gilchrist. Arnold Gilchrist. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: We should probably go through the Paquito family as well.
Marion Freeman: If we share
Jimmy Harlesden: Picuto is missing. So now he's dead, but we've nobody knows really.
Nathaniel Horcock: This is the argument over the, land or the, land grants, was it?
Marion Freeman: No. This is these 2 people being killed by rustlers.
Nathaniel Horcock: Ah, right.
Marion Freeman: Who I met and faced out. And sadly, not before they've done the damage, I imagine.
Nathaniel Horcock: Okay. Do you want me to
Jimmy Harlesden: Do we really think they were killed by the Russes, or do we think they were killed by? Obviously, we don't
Marion Freeman: think that. We we know how good your man Pinker is. Yeah. Yeah. Pinker?
Dave (GM): Picker. Picker. Cody Picker.
Marion Freeman: I kept more than thinking last time I said this. So, yeah, I expect they confronted Picker, given that Picker's horse was also among the A member of Bob.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Picker's horse was there. It was daytime.
Marion Freeman: So, yeah, Picker did it, but there's no reason why mister Rayburn necessarily needs to know that Given that we have solved the pick up of them anyway.
Dave (GM): So you know that Eugene is Garland Raeburn's youngest youngest son.
Marion Freeman: And they've written up to us. So there were 4, because I remember the the ketos. Yep. But there were actually 4 men who've written up to us. Mhmm. Yes. And we which we had the trans conversation at the
Dave (GM): And then, well, I think I think you they made it clear what was happening. 2 of them rode off. Yeah. I think Paquito and Milagro Vicente rode off to get ahead. Mhmm. And Weyburn and Gilchrist stayed with you, had the tense conversation with Cody Picker. Cody Picker then left. They then left to follow Cody Picker. You never saw Paquito or Vicente again, but you found the bodies of Braeburn and Gilchrist.
Marion Freeman: So let's go up, cap in hand, and, express our condolences.
Nathaniel Horcock: You want me to?
Marion Freeman: No. No. It's fine. You can
Nathaniel Horcock: go with them
Dave (GM): if you want, but you don't have to.
Marion Freeman: It's just that you're on the phone call.
Jimmy Harlesden: So No. I was getting Yes.
Marion Freeman: I haven't.
Jimmy Harlesden: Not doing anything, like, secret from you.
Nathaniel Horcock: Well, I have an issue with this.
Marion Freeman: Well, now we know a bit more about his past. Maybe you Well, maybe we
Nathaniel Horcock: want it.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Okay.
Marion Freeman: But anyway, yeah, you can come. You can come with us, but
Jimmy Harlesden: then you can come with us.
Nathaniel Horcock: That's fine. But but not If you want to. No. I think I'll stay at the bar actually, don't I?
Marion Freeman: Okay.
Nathaniel Horcock: Looking at a letter. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: So there's digging going up at the graveyard, but there wasn't actually in there.
Dave (GM): The funeral isn't happening yet. Funeral's gonna be Later today. Later today. Yeah. It's it's afternoon.
Marion Freeman: So let us go to the door of the Rayburn House.
Dave (GM): Okay. Yeah. Yeah. This is answered by, sorry, Tiggles. But if you will lie down now, I'll tread on you. Yeah. So the dolls are answered by a guy you recognize. He's called Brandon Rayburn. Yep.
Jimmy Harlesden: Brandon. He's
Dave (GM): another son. He is the he's a grandson. Grandson. Early twenties.
Marion Freeman: Eugene's
Dave (GM): Nope. He's not. He's Eugene's nephew.
Marion Freeman: Okay.
Dave (GM): Eugene's got 3 kids. They're all a bit younger. So the oldest there is 13. The youngest is 10. Yeah. And he couldn't yet. He calls for for his grandfather. And, yeah. Garland comes to the door. He sees you. Make an insight roll both of you please.
Jimmy Harlesden: No.
Dave (GM): Nothing? Nothing.
Marion Freeman: Okay. Should I push that roll?
Nathaniel Horcock: Do you still have mishaps mishap dice on this anymore? Or
Marion Freeman: Yes. These are your first five dice or all your mishap dice. They've got trouble dice.
Nathaniel Horcock: What? Okay.
Jimmy Harlesden: What level of faith do we start at now?
Dave (GM): Well, we were saying 4.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. So I think
Marion Freeman: How about my faith back?
Dave (GM): That's a good point, isn't it? So I'm trying to remember what we what we decided, because We didn't decide anything, I don't think. Oh, we talked about it.
Marion Freeman: We talked about it. But so
Dave (GM): on the basis, basis of the rules that losing your faith doesn't necessarily mean that you lose your faith.
Marion Freeman: You can find it behind the back of the sofa.
Jimmy Harlesden: And I
Dave (GM): think we decided that actually losing your face should be a narrative player choice.
Marion Freeman: So you you play an adventure session without without faith?
Dave (GM): Let me just
Marion Freeman: looking up.
Dave (GM): Yeah. So get getting to 0 faith has other negatives. But it's not doesn't make you lose your faith. Yeah. Because we say here, we we also encourage players and GMs to think about whether or not the narrative circumstances might lead to the PC actually losing their faith. But this would be something to role play and we would not have mechanics to cover it.
Marion Freeman: Cool. Okay.
Dave (GM): So, yes, your faith is back.
Nathaniel Horcock: So what 4 as well? Is it all 4? Yep.
Marion Freeman: Okay. I might push this just for a second bit. Okay. To demonstrate what might happen. Mhmm. Now I'm rolling 4 dice that are all trouble dice.
Dave (GM): But any ones is a problem.
Marion Freeman: Still don't no ones, but also no successes.
Dave (GM): Yep. Okay. Yeah. Garland comes to the door and he says, good good morning, gentlemen. You can imagine it's not it's not it's not a day where we are accepting visitors.
Jimmy Harlesden: No. Of course not very standard. We just came. We got where we go. We try to express our condolences.
Marion Freeman: Having having found your son's body and transported him to Albuquerque, we just wanted to express our profound sympathies for your loss.
Dave (GM): That's very that's very neighborly of you, and, and we appreciate it. You can see his wife kind of in the in the background as well. She's sort of listening to the conversation. They're obviously both still a bit upset. He says, so before did you did you did you see Eugene before before you found his body at all?
Marion Freeman: Because I
Dave (GM): see you're all you're all traveling in that direction.
Marion Freeman: We met them on the trail. They were riding with, one of the McKinsey Labs and, well, one of your hands and one of theirs, I imagine.
Dave (GM): Well, Ardo. Yes. Ardo is we're burying this afternoon as well.
Marion Freeman: They came. I will say there was a confrontation with mister Picker, one night, which mister Picker left the party shortly after.
Dave (GM): You can see his face perks up, or this this it kind of strikes a chord, you can see, when you're saying this.
Marion Freeman: And, as you know me as a man of peace. I I I try to,
Dave (GM): I've I've I've watched you have many gunfights.
Jimmy Harlesden: It's very tall.
Nathaniel Horcock: That's about peace.
Marion Freeman: I believe in peace and I cannot make
Dave (GM): it to get it.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. I fear that, you know, guns might have been drawn that evening over supper. But we, we suggested that Picker left the party at that point and he rode off. Now I will say that your son and your hand. Hold on. I'm confused. How many people just remind me. Had other people written off beforehand? Yes.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yes.
Dave (GM): Because you'd you'd met the 4 of them. Yeah. And We'd had the conversation Makito and Vicente had written off before the others joined you on your trail with Pika. So Pika So Pika, it was just Gregoroni's sword. Guild choosed.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah.
Dave (GM): As far as you know, anyway. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: By that time, previously, Paquito and the other hand had had left the party.
Dave (GM): But, why did they leave?
Marion Freeman: I don't know. They had business. They didn't tell us the entirety of their business. And, you know,
Dave (GM): they did they tell you what what did they tell you about their business?
Marion Freeman: Well, if you're talking about mister Picker and the package from, mister Begin, we we dealt with that directly.
Dave (GM): You dealt with the package?
Marion Freeman: Look. I don't want to trouble you at this time. As as
Dave (GM): as as You can read on this. As you're saying this On another
Marion Freeman: day if you want.
Dave (GM): He don't he says, come in. Well if you're
Marion Freeman: sure, come in. On this day.
Dave (GM): And he shuts the door pointedly. Okay. With it all. It's like not slamming the door, but
Marion Freeman: Yeah.
Dave (GM): Definitely looks out and shuts the door. Naturally, there were matters which which bring in which need to be discussed confidentially, rather than on the doorstep of the the premier family in town. So what's what what did what did Eugene tell you?
Marion Freeman: So Eugene and at that time, and mister, Paquita as well told us together that they were riding after mister Picker because he towed a package. A package that was said to come from mister McGinn, which they wanted to not be delivered. It looked as I say. And then mister Paquito and the Paquito hand, whose name was Paquito.
Jimmy Harlesden: Paquito. Paquito.
Marion Freeman: Paquito. Left the party with I don't know what motive. But they to be honest, I think they were possibly going to ride ahead. So your son had it out with mister Picker at camp that night. I was very keen that we should not turn this into a bloodbath. Mister Picker is an accomplished gunfighter.
Dave (GM): Did you not wish to
Marion Freeman: help Eugene in? I'm not sure we could have resolved this through talking without guns.
Dave (GM): Are you saying that Cody Picker killed Eugene?
Marion Freeman: No. Not at all. We don't know who killed Eugene, and I myself came across, a gang of rustlers. What's their name?
Jimmy Harlesden: Who we believe may have been the Kyler gang.
Marion Freeman: The Kyler gang.
Dave (GM): Raven not
Marion Freeman: yeah.
Dave (GM): I mean, everyone here has heard of the Kyla gang.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. And the sheriff believes that it was the Kyla gang that, that killed Eugene.
Dave (GM): How does Eugene's misfortune of coming across the wrong people at the wrong time? Yeah. Absolutely. Yes.
Marion Freeman: They they were out there, and they were out for blood. I met them too and I think I was lucky to get away.
Dave (GM): Can you make a performing roll please, Matthew?
Marion Freeman: Performing roll. Performing 4 dice. Four travel dice. You can have
Dave (GM): a dice to help from Tony, if you want
Jimmy Harlesden: to give him an idea.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. I'll I'll have that. And now oh. What? So that's a that's an interesting rule. When Tony offers a dice of help, is that another trouble dice, or is that an ordinary dice?
Dave (GM): I think it adds to your pearl and 5 dice, and you'll pull the top of the dice.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Okay. One success.
Dave (GM): Okay. Yeah. He's he's listening. You can kind of see confused skepticism on his face a little bit.
Marion Freeman: These things don't need to be resolved violently, as we approved. So mister Pitter rode on ahead shortly after. Was it that very night or the next morning? I can't remember. Honestly, I can't remember.
Dave (GM): I think it was a day or 2 later. I think it took When
Marion Freeman: they rode they rode after him.
Dave (GM): Oh, pretty much straight away.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. Probably
Marion Freeman: So shortly after they rode after him in the but this is in the dark. I do not know whether they encountered him at all. 2 days later, we found their bodies. I rode hard and fast to try and outpace Mr. Picker and get that package. I was not successful. But together, What's your surname?
Jimmy Harlesden: Jim Halston.
Marion Freeman: Halston. Mister Halston and I. Shall we say we arrived at Mr Chisholm at the time that Mr Pickerton had his package. So he opened it in our presence. And we made it clear that this package was done without the agreement of the wider community. Make another performing roll. Again, one capital of points. So I'm not inclined to push it.
Dave (GM): Okay. You think he's you think he's believing you? He's like,
Marion Freeman: well, he should be because this bit's entirely true.
Dave (GM): Yeah. That's true. But it seem but it seems
Jimmy Harlesden: See, a bonus diet, I'm sorry for the fact that he took the truth.
Dave (GM): No. No. Because it seems incredible that you should immediately have been introduced to Chisholm. Why would Chisholm talk to you?
Marion Freeman: Is that Williarty? Yeah. Why isn't
Dave (GM): he talking to you? You're you're just small time.
Marion Freeman: Because even it's not
Jimmy Harlesden: I was gonna say rustlers. We,
Dave (GM): horse, you know, ranchers.
Jimmy Harlesden: We basically badgered mister Picker What? Until he agreed to arrange the We were supposed to
Dave (GM): do that.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. With mister Picker. We had the support of the sheriff who, appreciated that we've brought your son's body and out of your hand to his presence. So we used, I'll admit, our good relationship with both these people to to leverage us in a position where we could have some moments of mister Chisholm's time. I think we spent more time with him than he was planning to give us when we told him the story of how maybe Mr McGinn had made the money for the bribe from cattle stolen from the Chisholm branch. As it is, Mr. McGinn is not gonna get what he wants. Yes. Mister Chisholm, of course, has the money. He gave us some, didn't he?
Nathaniel Horcock: Best. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: You know,
Dave (GM): that's right. It's done now.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. 1,000 and 20 grand.
Jimmy Harlesden: I don't yeah. My daughter, I don't know. I could That's vaguely ring a bell, but only vaguely.
Dave (GM): Yeah. I I have apparently,
Jimmy Harlesden: I have $326, which sounds quite a lot. So some of that might be.
Dave (GM): Maybe he did give you a little bit for your Yeah. Your pains. Okay. Let's make another performing roll. We're gonna have plus 1 this time. Plus 1 dice.
Marion Freeman: Just one success. I would be willing to push that and risk a mishap. What did you
Jimmy Harlesden: roll? What success?
Marion Freeman: Okay. You've I've burned through my face like nobody's business here.
Dave (GM): That's what it's there for. It's there to be spent. I'll take it with you. Thank you, William.
Marion Freeman: Oh, fuck
Dave (GM): it. Okay. And there's
Marion Freeman: a machine. Two mishaps. Two troublesome days. Two trouble?
Dave (GM): How many dust did you roll?
Marion Freeman: That one? Rolled 5 trouble, plus 1.
Dave (GM): Okay. So I thought you're going to roll 5 dice. Okay. Two dice of trouble.
Marion Freeman: Are you gonna are
Dave (GM): you gonna buy any of those off?
Marion Freeman: What? With a faith point?
Dave (GM): Yeah. 11 per 1, if you want to.
Marion Freeman: I go down to 0 faith.
Dave (GM): That's that's not good either.
Marion Freeman: That's not good either. So I'll go down to 1 faith.
Dave (GM): Okay. So roll 1 d 6 then.
Marion Freeman: Bloody grooming my horse. I'll sit
Nathaniel Horcock: and do that.
Dave (GM): So roll 1 d 6 then for your this is a mental social trouble? 4. 4. You're confused, your mind goes blank, or you lose your train of thought. You suffer minus 1 to roll the mate, and same issue for the rest of the scene. So, yeah. So you're you've been trying to convince him that you're not lying. And
Marion Freeman: the the mix of the story Actual lies and
Dave (GM): the story feels a little bit fantastical that you, you know, little people like you were. Yeah. That part of it is actually true. It is. But, that that's what seems fantastic. And he's not quite buying that. But in short but you're seemingly being quite open with him. He's not thinking that you're lying, necessarily lying. He's just just it all seems a bit too much. A bit fantastical.
Marion Freeman: If you had been there, mister Aber, you could have spoken to mister Chisholm on the town's behalf and he would have listened.
Dave (GM): Well it's, it it'll be a good outcome if McGinn doesn't get what he's so politely maneuvering for.
Marion Freeman: I think we have to wait until the, Grant Spauld has spoken, but I think I
Jimmy Harlesden: think we persuaded Chisholm that that would not be in the best interest of the community as a whole. Okay. But Iain was not a trustworthy
Dave (GM): thing. I I welcome
Jimmy Harlesden: a man to deal with.
Dave (GM): Your condolences. I I welcome your openness. But now, you'll understand we have family matters to take care of. Of course. And he opens the door for you and ushers you out.
Marion Freeman: As as as we're leaving, I turn around in the way that I've done in a previous adventure. I say, just one more thing.
Dave (GM): Are you cumming both?
Jimmy Harlesden: Just wanna think.
Marion Freeman: How do you know you did the murder? So I don't think we've necessarily learned this. I'd like to understand that mister Paquinto and the, Paquinto Paquito hand, they've not returned?
Jimmy Harlesden: We've no one's
Marion Freeman: seen none of this news?
Dave (GM): No one's seen them. As far as I know.
Marion Freeman: So I think we should
Jimmy Harlesden: go and see
Marion Freeman: the Yes.
Jimmy Harlesden: The keto as well. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: The keto as well.
Jimmy Harlesden: The green. Okay.
Dave (GM): Are you you're heading off to the Paquito's household, are you? Which is number 11. Okay. It's next to the blessings.
Marion Freeman: Come on. That's handy.
Nathaniel Horcock: And I feel I shall
Marion Freeman: I'm gonna wait and get you Not sure. Yeah. Heading off to the Quito Ranch and, I didn't
Dave (GM): I didn't I didn't design
Marion Freeman: the townhouse. Mhmm.
Dave (GM): I didn't design the scenario to draw drive a wedge between you 2.
Nathaniel Horcock: Wow. I know. I did wonder, I've just
Dave (GM): I've designed it that way. But we'll see.
Marion Freeman: So what are we gonna say to them?
Jimmy Harlesden: Basically, say, oh, yeah. We're sorry that
Marion Freeman: Well, you
Dave (GM): know, this hasn't returned.
Marion Freeman: Well We should say
Jimmy Harlesden: So we we did meet.
Marion Freeman: We met mister Vaquito and was surprised that, he hasn't come home. Yeah. Okay. And we can say that we discovered the bodies of the others, but there was no evidence.
Jimmy Harlesden: I think we'll basically just tell the same Yeah. Story that we told.
Marion Freeman: This is a new scene, so my, my trouble has disappeared. Right? Yes. Yes. Well so, yeah, we go and say that. Basically, the same story. Okay. You you you get there,
Dave (GM): and you there's there's there's only a a serving, servant there. They're sort of like the house man. All the others are out searching for for Dimas.
Nathaniel Horcock: Is Dimas the son of the
Jimmy Harlesden: So Dimas
Dave (GM): is Is the is
Marion Freeman: the person we met on the trail.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah.
Dave (GM): Dimas is the younger son of Augustine Apoquito. Who is the Matriarch. The matriarch. The matriarch. Yeah. Yes. Yeah. Yep. Alright. And she's got 2 other children, eldest son, Roberto, and and the middle daughter, Rosalia. And they've got adult children. Yeah. There's 5 adult children. And the and actually there are There's nobody here to talk to at the moment because they are out searching.
Marion Freeman: Right. So we leave a message. Yep. To say, that we are shocked and surprised to find that he's not returned home before we met him on the trail. And if they want to talk to us, they can. Yeah. Anyway.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. Okay. Yep. You leave a message. And the houseman says, yes, you'll
Dave (GM): you'll pass message on as soon as he he sees Augustine at Piquito.
Marion Freeman: I'll just ask, actually, again, as we leave the as we leave the house. Just one more thing. Here's our brand new iPhone. No. Because that's what Steve Jobs used to say. Just one more thing before the biggest whatever, and I was on there.
Dave (GM): Alright. Okay. Yeah. I agree that you
Marion Freeman: Mhmm.
Nathaniel Horcock: I mean, that's a good idea. Mhmm. What sensible thing would set
Marion Freeman: us up? Where where where do you know where where they're looking?
Dave (GM): They've, they're they're heading they're searching the trail for Albuquerque. And we didn't meet
Marion Freeman: them on the way down for Albuquerque where we have to speak? No. Okay. Bye. Bye. Let's head back home then with a message they know where to find this at the one to
Dave (GM): talk. Yep. Okay. Back to you, Andy. Mhmm. Sitting in Glenwood's bar.
Nathaniel Horcock: Well, I ain't gonna get pissed. I must be sitting there looking at the letter with what with the same block, you know, just just not really drink. You know?
Dave (GM): Okay. Just
Nathaniel Horcock: anyway, while they're doing their bits, I'm gonna go up to the bar and talk to the 2 blessings. Yep. And say, I'd like to buy you 2 gen gentlemen a drink.
Dave (GM): Well, that's, that's that's mighty generous of you, Nathaniel.
Nathaniel Horcock: And I I wish to apologize for any future actions because it seems though my past future actions. Yes. My past seems to be catching me up, gentlemen. So what may happen in the future, I apologize for now.
Jimmy Harlesden: And they're a bit confused.
Dave (GM): They're like, what what do you mean?
Nathaniel Horcock: Unfortunately, certain events from my past, look like they're going to be, catching me up.
Dave (GM): And that means trouble for us, does it?
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. I mean, there may be some hang up with it. Unsavory yeah. Let let's say some unsavory parts on my parts maybe catching me up.
Jimmy Harlesden: You're being very mysterious,
Dave (GM): Nathaniel. Did you wanna If anyone
Marion Freeman: will ask me, I'll give give him the whole
Nathaniel Horcock: gospel. Yeah. You will. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Did you wanna
Nathaniel Horcock: No. No. I'm just apologizing. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Just put it over for something that hasn't happened. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: But it's probably got it's gonna be really
Marion Freeman: And also something that definitely did happen.
Nathaniel Horcock: Mhmm.
Marion Freeman: Before before he was a prisoner of the union. It's just what I wanna point out.
Nathaniel Horcock: Rebel? What would it look?
Marion Freeman: I just wanna put out he was a prisoner of the union, and they didn't massacre him. I can't think why.
Dave (GM): The conditions in Camp Douglas were particularly bad.
Marion Freeman: Yep. And a lot of the A lot of
Dave (GM): the Confederate prisoners weren't at the end of it. It wasn't massacres, but it clearly wasn't a holiday camp.
Nathaniel Horcock: No. It wasn't Butlins.
Dave (GM): It wasn't Butlins. No. But yeah. There wasn't they didn't just murder them.
Marion Freeman: Murder them for being
Nathaniel Horcock: oh, god.
Dave (GM): Yeah. They they have a a good opinion of you. Mhmm. As do most people in the town because of what's happened. Well, because of, you know, the
Jimmy Harlesden: Even some of the ones that have met you.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. Yeah.
Dave (GM): You you you stood up to to the McGinns and you stood up to the Tannyhill gang and,
Nathaniel Horcock: you
Dave (GM): know, I think you're seen as, you know, upstanding members of community. I'm not quite sure what your reputations are, but
Nathaniel Horcock: Look.
Marion Freeman: What are your reputations
Jimmy Harlesden: Nothing. I'm just there. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Am I
Dave (GM): I guess because you yeah. You haven't done very much here yet, Vina.
Jimmy Harlesden: Is that No.
Marion Freeman: I am 5 mobile and 3 cooperative or 5 good guy, which that needs a bit of work because that just says bad slash
Dave (GM): Just bad guy. Bad guy.
Marion Freeman: You you be bad or you can be a guy. And I'm not
Dave (GM): bad guy, Scott.
Marion Freeman: I'm not quite guy.
Dave (GM): So so you got 5 and 3. 5 on which 1?
Marion Freeman: 5 on the, Good Glove bag, Carax. That's set up on the top.
Dave (GM): Yep. And 3 on the other. So you're gonna see it as likable and indecisive.
Nathaniel Horcock: Good.
Dave (GM): What are you? 44. 44. You are nothing. You're just there.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah.
Dave (GM): But you're at the good end of nothing. You're just
Nathaniel Horcock: there. So I might I
Marion Freeman: might I
Jimmy Harlesden: might change I might change those because
Dave (GM): having 4 nothing. You're just there's doesn't really Yeah. Doesn't really work very well. What's yours, Andy?
Nathaniel Horcock: As far as I can see, I got fame a plus 5 and moral plus 1, I think. So you're all I can see.
Dave (GM): Okay. So that gives, you're a loner who looks after number 1.
Nathaniel Horcock: That's what's in the old, as far as we've got my.
Dave (GM): Or if it's the
Marion Freeman: other way around. Yeah. You should have another number incorporated.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. I know. That's yeah.
Marion Freeman: I think they could both be 1.
Dave (GM): 2 ones?
Marion Freeman: I don't know. Don't know. He's got nothing much. Oh, no. No.
Nathaniel Horcock: No. Okay. Yeah.
Dave (GM): You know, 2 ones is as bad as he gets. Self serving scum of the air between the 2 ones.
Marion Freeman: Yeah.
Dave (GM): But he hasn't been being a self serving scuba boy
Marion Freeman: Recently, no.
Dave (GM): In his in the way he's bathed.
Marion Freeman: So Well, let's let's maybe give him some new numbers after this scenario.
Dave (GM): See how old he performs. Okay. So, yeah. The blessings are a bit confused. No.
Nathaniel Horcock: I'm not.
Dave (GM): How do we take a drink?
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. How far is it to al is it Albuquerque? Let's use it.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Albuquerque is, from where you are now. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. It's about a 150 miles.
Nathaniel Horcock: Alright. So
Dave (GM): it's got 3 or 4 days on the trail.
Marion Freeman: Unless you don't keep riding it. We we've
Dave (GM): just If you're we're moving.
Marion Freeman: If you wanted to go to Albuquerque, you should have bloody come with us. We could have done with you, to be honest.
Nathaniel Horcock: How old is it is this let the letter is it dated at all, this letter?
Dave (GM): Yeah. I I it probably is. And it's dated, let's just think, it is dated probably 6 days ago, 7 days ago. Right. Whilst whilst you 2 were still in Albuquerque. Yeah. Okay. Probably at a point where you were just about thinking about leaving, actually.
Marion Freeman: Because we just spend that time pretty much constantly going, hello. We're Marian Freeman, a good friend of Nathaniel Hall.
Nathaniel Horcock: Oh, god.
Dave (GM): All cops. So I I think possibly in
Marion Freeman: your trading and the bartering and everything,
Dave (GM): these some of these some of these things came out on the conversation.
Marion Freeman: I'm sure I did because because his name is definitely on the company account. Yeah. I
Nathaniel Horcock: did put a wee bit up here.
Marion Freeman: Freeman Halt?
Nathaniel Horcock: Yes.
Dave (GM): Has he put any capital in?
Nathaniel Horcock: I did put yeah.
Marion Freeman: Did you? Yes. Yeah. You got put in capital.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Although, actually, the name you gave us then was Nathaniel Grand. No. I tell you what, a
Jimmy Harlesden: fake name.
Dave (GM): I think that was just Andy struggling to link the latest character.
Nathaniel Horcock: Suspicious. Yeah. Especially, yes. They are.
Dave (GM): Oh, I've I've got the character generation stuff, if you need a new one later on. Yeah. Or either of you. Right. Okay. So that yeah. They they
Nathaniel Horcock: yeah. They Although, it can be one misprovider.
Dave (GM): They were a bit flummoxed about what you're doing on it. But they can see you had a couple of drinks and think maybe you're just being a bit
Nathaniel Horcock: bit
Dave (GM): drunk and more like that or something. They didn't inquire any further about what
Nathaniel Horcock: No. Perfectly sober, unfortunately. Yeah.
Dave (GM): What you're Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Not been drinking. Apart from the first whiskey we had when he read the letter out, and then I didn't buy him any more.
Nathaniel Horcock: I did read the letter in the bar. And
Dave (GM): okay. So the the day progresses, the the funeral the funerals of Eugene, Rayburn and Arnold Gilchrist are about to take place. If you're still in town, you can obviously attend those. Oh,
Nathaniel Horcock: yes. We
Dave (GM): will. We will. We
Marion Freeman: will be attending.
Dave (GM): Augustina Paquito doesn't make her appearance. She's there at the at the funeral.
Marion Freeman: She makes an appearance at the funeral? Yep.
Dave (GM): But, yeah. There's only only her and her daughter Rosalia are are there at the at the funeral.
Marion Freeman: Obviously, for the duration of the service, Just be respectful and silent, but maybe afterwards I'd like to maybe talk to her.
Dave (GM): Yep. The Ravens have brought in a preacher to to, to actually go Officiate. Officiate the the the proceedings.
Jimmy Harlesden: They brought in a preacher. Is there not a preacher in town or anything
Dave (GM): like that? There wasn't a church or a preacher in town at the moment. Yeah. And there are after that, there are preparations for the festival, which is gonna take place the following day.
Marion Freeman: I will go and thank the preacher anyway.
Jimmy Harlesden: Okay. Good
Marion Freeman: to hear the word of God. I'm always keeping an eye. And if I see missus Paquita turning to leave, I will run after her. So
Dave (GM): Okay. So she she's talking with Garland Reburn. And their sort of quite a involved conversation. You know, not not agitated or anything, but they're obviously having
Jimmy Harlesden: a
Dave (GM): very intense conversation. And then after a short while, she, you know, they they clasped her in, and then she heads off back down towards the the town square.
Marion Freeman: Yeah.
Dave (GM): So it goes down towards there. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: So I will just check after and say, Mrs. Paquito, I'm very concerned to hear that demon. Demas. Demas has not returned.
Jimmy Harlesden: The the or somebody.
Marion Freeman: That that
Dave (GM): demon hasn't returned yet.
Marion Freeman: Alright. I met him on the trail from Albuquerque. He seemed well, don't he?
Dave (GM): Mister Rayburn did did say that you'd you'd seen Dimas.
Marion Freeman: He left for a confrontation with with mister Picker. Can you
Dave (GM): offer me any insights as to to where he might have gone? Or Not at all. Might have happened to him?
Marion Freeman: We did meet. I met a notorious gang. I had a tense conversation with them. The sheriff thinks it was that gang that killed Eugene and the,
Dave (GM): artist.
Marion Freeman: Thank you.
Dave (GM): Complete candy bars.
Marion Freeman: But, we looked around, and then we when we discovered their bodies, there was no sign of anybody else being involved.
Dave (GM): Garland tells me as well that that Eugene and and Dimas brought you into the into the knowledge of of
Nathaniel Horcock: of what they would
Dave (GM): what they
Marion Freeman: would do. Mister McGuinn. Again, yeah. And we, I did not like hard enough to intercept it, but but we did have a conversation with mister Chisholm on behalf of
Dave (GM): He didn't tell me that you claimed to have have met Chisholm. Can you make a performing role, please?
Marion Freeman: He did tell me. Performance. Dump.
Jimmy Harlesden: From there as well. I'll give it. Yeah. You're there.
Nathaniel Horcock: Yeah. You're gonna give him
Dave (GM): one of them. Yep.
Nathaniel Horcock: We're gonna
Dave (GM): buy some all 3.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. All 3. All 3.
Nathaniel Horcock: That's good. All
Jimmy Harlesden: the food. Otherwise, I'm
Marion Freeman: One success. How many? How many?
Dave (GM): 3. She doesn't believe a word of it.
Marion Freeman: I can push. I can push. You can't push? No. I can't push. Tales of the old west is brought to you by Effect. The music is old west game by Stu Venable, used with kind permission of the angry folk media empire.