Karen quizzes Elizabeth and Jon about the end of their high school and junior high years, as the strangest school year ever comes to a close. Also, Elizabeth’s Pride Month recommendations.
- The kids were not into celebrity grad ceremonies.
- Elizabeth got Jon to read American Gods.
- We read Frankenstein out loud after reading Welcome to Night Vale.
- Alberta Ballet’s Frankenstein was really good.
- There is a movement afoot to rename the Oliver neighbourhood due to Frank Oliver’s racist harm. Find more at #UncoverOliver.
- Let’s Find Out did an episode on the KKK in Edmonton and an update.
- We talked about school resource officers, or SROs, who have been stationed at some Edmonton schools since 1979. Lots has happened on this file, and the story is evolving. Some background:
- CBC: School board to reconsider school resource officer motion following trustee resignation
- Edmonton Journal: Edmonton Public School Board chair pushing for re-vote on suspending the SRO program
- Bashir Mohamed’s SRO research and commentary is compiled in his Edmonton Anti-Black Racism Toolkit.
- Speaking Municipally discussed the issue in Episode 90.
- Recommended reading and watching for Pride Month:
- World on Fire from CBC Edmonton
- Straight from the CPA’s Mouth from the CPA Education Foundation and the Hesje CPA Knowledge Centre
What is That's a Thing?!?
A sometimes belated, already outdated guide to your teens, tweens and everything under 20. In each episode, Elizabeth, a teenager, explains a thing to Karen, her mother. And Karen tells Elizabeth how that thing relates to something she knows. Maybe.