Michael: Hello and welcome to PostgresFM, a weekly show about all things PostgreSQL. I am Michael, founder of pgMustard, and today I am joined by Alicja Kucharczyk, Program Manager for Azure Database for PostgreSQL at Microsoft and organizer of the Warsaw PostgreSQL user group. Thank you so much for joining me today Alicja, it's an honor to have you here.
Alicja: Thank you for having me Michael.
Michael: Wonderful, well I proposed a topic this week but mainly because you're one of the biggest fans or at least advocates of this tool, I think in the world. But it's probably an underused tool, in my opinion anyway. I definitely don't use it at times when I could or should, and I know most people that could be using it have never even heard of it, at least newer users. So what are we going to be talking about today?
Alicja: Yeah about my favorite tool which is pgBadger which is totally open source which is really great it's like allows you like to do really comprehensive troubleshooting and I believe like it's yeah top-notch of the class.
Michael: Yeah absolutely do you want to give us a little bit of background on the tool or how people use it?
Alicja: Yes absolutely so maybe I will start with my own story because I've learned that the tool exists over, I believe, 10 years ago when I was working for a Polish Bank. And the process in there was like each time something was happening, they started to generate a pgBadger report. And that was just always the first step that they've been doing. So that was the place where I learned that this tool exists. And over the years, actually, because I was moving from company to company, and I started to be a Postgres consultant. And back then, that started to be my main tool for doing the troubleshooting. Because as a consultant, you don't really know the system. Like you're going to the customer, you know something has happened and the customer is saying, for instance, CPU is very high or latency of the query suddenly has grown, but you still don't really have any knowledge about the system. And pgBadger is really one of the best tools to quickly get knowledge about the workload that is happening within your database. And I really like pgBadger also that it's showing you like really comprehensive picture because you might know other tools, like similar tools, like pg_stat_statements. And it's not that I want to say that this is a bad tool or anything. I do use pg_stat_statements. I know that many people do, but pg_stat_statements is actually just one tab in the pgBadger report. And next to that, you've got also like report about the temporary files. You've got really nicely aggregated errors. So, everything that you've got in the logs that are errors, fatals, warnings, it's really nicely aggregated on the events tab. You would also have the logs and logs with CK, right? Not logs, but logs. I know it's easy to mix these two. So you also have these logs, you've got the number of connections, number of sessions. So you really have a comprehensive view. For instance, if you've got pg_stat_statements, you see, okay, this query was executed 1,000 times, and the total time it was this and like the average time was this, right? You would have like the same thing in PgBadger, but the difference is in PgBadger, you can quickly go to another tab, for instance, temporary files tab and see that, okay, this execution time was caused actually because this query was generating temporary files or maybe it was waiting for a lock. So that's why I do prefer PgBadger over pg_stat_statements and other tools, because it's giving me this comprehensive view.
Michael: Yeah, I like it. Shots fired right up top. I'm a big fan of pg_stat_statements as well, so I'm hoping to be somewhat converted here. I definitely think there's pros of both. So with PG Badger, it's a log analysis. So it's a standalone tool as well, right? So open source, as you said, we can install it wherever and analyze our log files for anything that we can spit out to the log. So as you mentioned, locks, yeah, so wait events, errors as well, that's a big missing part of pg_stat_statements. So sometimes we have, it's quite common advice to have a timeout, right? If you have queries that are taking more than, I don't know, some, on some systems might be 30 seconds, time them out instead of measuring, instead of letting them complete. In pg_stat_statements, we don't see those at all, but in PgBadger, we can see those because
Alicja: of the errors, right? Absolutely. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. And the errors actually, you know, it's helping with other problems. Like recently I was troubleshooting logical replication errors and if you are just, have the plaintext book and you've got just 1 error, it's really not easy like to go up like thousands of lines up and see what was the root cause error, right? Because sometimes you've got 1 error and this is causing the whole other errors, right? Like in this case. And in PgBadger, you're seeing like that. That's great because of the aggregation that pgBadger is doing.
Michael: Nice. So, because we're reliant on the logs here, I would like to ask, a lot of people won't have, a lot of the default settings are to not log a lot of important settings. So a lot of people's logs, if they're new to Postgres or if they're using a managed provider and haven't set any settings, they won't have many of the things. So if they ran pgBadger now, I'm guessing a lot of them wouldn't get some of the reports you're talking about because they wouldn't have the right settings on. Is that fair?
Alicja: Yes, yes, absolutely. Like with default settings, you would probably have like a very poor pgBadger report because as you said, like pgBadger is just Perl script that is just taking the text files, the text logs as the input and then generating HTML report as the output, right? So whatever is in logs, it will be regenerated, like it will be parsed and it will be, you know, aggregated in this really nice pgBadger format. But if something is not in the logs, then obviously you will not see that, right? So for instance, if you want to see the locks this time, like you need to have log_lock_waits on. On. There is 1 setting in Postgres that you need to have locks logged to be able to generate that.
Michael: Yeah, log_lock_waits, I think it is.
Alicja: Log_lock_waits, yes. I believe this is the one. And this is responsible for the locks tab in the pgBadger. So if you've got this off, you will not see anything. Also like the log_line_prefix is super important. So, you know, the default prefix, it's pretty much null. And I'm using the one that is actually recommended by pgBadger, and it contains a lot of stuff like database name, user name, application name, of course, like the timestamp, and it also has like a host. So the IP of the server that the connection is coming from. And this allows you to have really like, you know rich pgBadger because pgBadger is able also to split the queries into different tabs per database per user. So it's able like to show you for instance how many select queries were like on a particular database or were issued by a particular user. But you need log_line_prefix for that. Otherwise, if you've got really a short default, you will not see a lot of useful information. But I believe in here, the pgBadger documentation is pretty good. You've got the entire list of the settings that you need to set. And most of that, like most of that is safe. Like I would say most, because you've got, of course, 1 setting, log_min_duration_statement, which is super, might be super dangerous, right? Of course, maybe just to explain log_min_duration_statement, it's the setting that is regulating how many queries we want to log into the text logs. And by default, this is minus 1. It means no. And 0 means log everything. So everything means even select 1, like something that is under milliseconds, right? With 0, you will see like a huge, huge impact on your database. So, you know, you always need to kind of adjust this to your system, to the workload you've got, how intensive, you know, your database is processing the queries. If you've got an analytical database, right, like super huge data amounts that you've got, yeah, 5 queries per hour, probably not many of you, but yeah, let's say log_min_duration_statement 0 is okay then. But with millions, thousands of queries per second, this is, yes, this is a killer. Like I saw even like 40% overhead of the overall performance with log_min_duration_statement 0. So this is dangerous. I usually start with something around between 1 minute to 10 minutes, depending on the system. Oh, wow. Yeah. So, you know, depending on the particular intensivity, like, let's say, of the system, depends what customer is telling me, okay, it's super intense. If it's not, right? So let's say we are starting from 1 minute and then we see the overhead. If it's huge, we are going up. If it's not huge, then we try and go a bit down with the setting.
Michael: When you say 1 minute, you mean only log the duration of statements that take longer than 60 seconds?
Alicja: Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Michael: I thought you're going to go much lower, but that makes a lot of sense, just in case there's a huge overhead.
Alicja: Exactly, exactly. This is like to be on the safe side, right? Because otherwise if you've got a production system, then you go too low and then you've got an outage.
Michael: And I don't think this requires a restart, right? So you can reload the config and it's not a huge overhead to change that 1 but yeah that's a really good tip. Without that we get almost nothing like we don't get any reporting on the slow statements but I guess the trade-off is if our system's biggest bottleneck is CPU, let's say the customer mentioned they have high CPU, and that's mostly being caused by millions of executions of very fast queries, then we don't spot them. So it's that trade-off between slow queries being the issue versus lots of fast queries being the issue.
Alicja: It is, but you know in this kind of, this is a very good point because you are right like I saw outages when we had like yes a lot of super small queries, right, **that were executed often like thousand times a second and you know we've got 2 ways actually to do that. One way would be like to have some kind of cron job that would change log_min_duration_statement to 0. And after some short period of time, like switch back, right? That would be one. And yeah, and the second one would be, there is like the new method that I haven't tried yet on production, but there is the sampling. So, you know, in Postgres, like, I haven't tried it yet, but it might be something to consider. So, for now, I was just doing cron jobs, but to be very honest with you, it's a problem when you are analyzing the report, right? Because, yeah, you see really weird, like, charts. So, you always need to keep that in mind that you've got this switch in the cron job.
Michael: Yeah, or for the fast queries, rely on something like pg_stat_statements if you have that on already, for example. But back to pgBadger, I looked at the docs and some of the other ones that people might want to switch on that have low overhead. Stop me if I mention one that is dangerous. But we have log_checkpoints, log_connections, log_disconnections, log_lock_waits you mentioned already, log_temp_files. Do you do any... So the recommendation in the pgBadger Docs is to set that to 0?
Alicja: No I just set it to 0 you know.
Michael: Okay great so that's good that that's you don't see that as being anywhere near as dangerous **I have seen some recommendations to start with a higher setting of that and go downwards as well which I guess people can do if they want to be extra cautious but if you've tuned work_mem at all already then I guess you should be pretty safe to put that to 0.
Alicja: I've never seen any problem when I tweaked with temp files or checkpoints to be very honest. Like maybe there are some narrow use cases, but for, you know, over the years, I've never seen any problems with other settings. Like the same with autovacuum, like people also were a bit afraid about the autovacuum, but **it's not, it's really just a couple of lines like per minute and yeah, it will not hit your system that much.
Michael: Nice. And yeah, you've got one that I forgot there, which is log_autovacuum_min_duration. vacuum min duration. Set that to 0 as well so that we get the important vacuum stuff. Great. So that lets people get this set up. And I've checked some hosting. So seeing as you work on a managed service provider, Do you have some of these set by default or is this something that people need to go in and change?
Alicja: Yes, for instance, yeah, because I work at Microsoft it's the easiest for me to talk about how we've got the setup done. I don't know that much about other cloud providers but we've got log connections, log disconnections to on, and users cannot change it. It's read only. And it's because we need it for the internal telemetry of ours. So this is just on. Also, you know, pgBadger needs to have logs in English. So also this is by default on Azure. So a lot of them are already enabled, already on, like on Azure. So this is good news, but still you need to enable logs, you need to enable autovacuum, you need to enable logging like for other stuff and log_line_prefix. I know that not all cloud providers you are able to change log_line_prefix, as far as I know at least. Yes, we do allow that. So this is good news, but I've heard that not on all, like probably AWS doesn't allow that, as I remember. At least it wasn't a couple of years ago, you know. I remember writing a script, like to parse the logs, to be able to generate like pgBadger, because we were not able to change log_line_prefix. And yes, they also have this, they had really weird format. So we needed a script that would parse that. But good news is that pgBadger introduced support for this log format. So you've got a separate format, which is RDS. So you don't need to have custom scripts anymore. So this is good news.
Michael: Yeah, I was so impressed reading through the pgBadger docs, all the different formats they support is incredibly flexible tool, almost as if it's designed by people that are using it and built by people that use it all the time. But definitely tons of options and lots of auto recognizing formats and file types and things like that. So for a lot of people I would guess it would just work and for people on cloud providers you've written a great post for using it with Azure but there's also I found a couple of posts from people from the RDS team and from Google CloudSQL teams that explain how to use it with their systems as well. If any other cloud providers are listening and have guides, please send them to me and I'll include them up in the show notes. But yeah, it feels like this is a tool people could be using even with unmanaged Postgres providers.
Alicja: Exactly, it makes me really happy to see the blog posts from AWS and Google Cloud because exactly as you said it means that they're using pgBadger, like the users of the managed services are using pgBadger, so it was probably needed.
Michael: Nice, yep and also it means this thing can live on, right? We don't have to completely replace it with cloud native tools, it still should work, right? Still Postgres, the only place it currently puts some of this information is in the logs so at some point we're gonna have to look at the logs and having a tool to do so often helps. Cool, all right so we've mentioned the min duration being a potential gotcha are there any others that we need to be cautious of when using this?
Alicja: About the parameter settings, actually this is like the most dangerous. So not that much I would say, like the other thing you might have problem with, like it's the size of the log itself. So I had sometimes like a problem, you know, when I was like receiving from the customer just terabytes of logs and it was okay, here are my logs, just generate whatever you want from that, right? And Yeah, that also might be a problem. And although, you know, pgBadger has this minus J option, like most of Postgres tools, right? It's still like on my own laptop, it was like days. So, Yes, so still like if you've got like really, you know huge amount of logs you probably still need powerful VM just to parse the logs. Otherwise like yeah, it will not work
Michael: Yeah, I saw I saw it has both -j lowercase and -J uppercase So it has like two different ways of handling. I think the first one is for parallelizing, like having multiple CPUs handling a single large log file. I didn't hear of terabytes. All the examples I saw were in gigabytes, so that's quite scary. But I think "-J" was even faster if you had, let's say, like if you were given 20 Large log files and you wanted to give 20 CPUs and handle them one at a time like one CPU per file So that's quite cool that it has multiple ways of handling like huge workloads, but terabytes of logs is terrifying. Did they have to? So I saw in that, like it has so many options by the way, I have a, in fact, a quick trivia question for you. It has so many dash single letter commands that I had noticed there are only 2 letters in the English alphabet that it doesn't have a Dash that letter Can you guess which letters they are? Only K and Y. It's not fair only K, and and there is even a they even have an option that's keep comments. So my recommendation to the pgBadger team is to make that the K, and then they only have to find 1 more, and they have the whole alphabet. Anyway, sorry, that's a that's not But
Alicja: no, no, this is actually great point because sometimes you know, the customers has got like some non-common questions, right? For instance, I had a customer that had a problem, like performance problem, and they wanted to share pgBadger with me, but they were not able to because of the data, right? Like, because they were not able to show me the queries. And I didn't even know, but yes, pgBadger has so many options that I quickly check and there is like this anonymized option like yeah so you can you can find a lot of stuff like really a lot of options in pgBadger. So this is actually a great point.
Michael: I was gonna ask about 2 of them actually, B and E, so beginning and end. If we have a huge log file, but we only, let's say it's from a month of logs or something, and we only care about, let's say a day or 2 that we had problems, if we set beginning and end, would that drastically speed things up as well or are we still
Alicja: going to? Depends, right, of the size of the file. So it's more like an operating system question, I would say, because, you know, sometimes if you've got really huge file, like it, you need to read your operating system, you need to read it anyways, right? So in this case, it might not help that much. So, you know, it's a long story, but, you know, it's really huge logs, like huge files. I've been trying like a lot of stuff and I've been trying like to split the files, you know, using just the split command. Like, I was trying like a lot of different ways, but finally what works the best is just a huge VM. Like this is the easiest way and you just put that on a huge VM and you've got it solved.
Michael: Nice. Cool. Okay. I saw you hosted 1 of the Postgres Friday. We've done a couple of submissions of podcast submissions to that event and yours was on pgBadger but I saw that Gilles Darold submitted a post and 1 of the things they mentioned was flexibility so they they really like to typical Postgres consultant I go not typical but extra on the Postgres side they parse the logs into a Postgres database in order to be able to query them, what like giving them a little bit more flexibility. So I guess we are somewhat limited by the reports that pgBadger gives us, but in the real world, it's giving us so much useful information that I guess those cases are a bit more like few and far between. And we get most of the way there just with the pgBadger report. Is that fair?
Alicja: You know, I, yeah, I saw the answer from Leticia and you know this is actually interesting, like parsing this to the database, especially like I had a lot of ask about that from ex-Oracle DBAs, right, they always ask, you know, we're asking if there is a way to do that, right? So it might be useful, but when I was a consultant, because I'm not that much anymore, like I do prefer to use something that I can just ping a link to, like the tool that is already there and it works and just pinging the link, like generate me data, you know, focusing on writing my own tools. So but OK, I don't say it's wrong or something, but it's just it's just easier for me. And also what I like, it's the visual part, because like the visual part, it's really something that allows you super quickly to go to the root cause. It's not that easy with the text, like if you're doing the query and you've got the result okay but you need to focus a bit more and you know it's pgBadger you've got this chart and you just you know see everything straight away so it's the way easier way faster for me and you've got like all the answers straight away so you know it's just a matter of preferences I would say my preference is to have graphical presentation.
Michael: Yeah, that's a huge pro for a lot of people me included. You've also mentioned another one there which I don't think we've mentioned is how tried and tested this is this is a I think I looked it up and it was 2012 pgBadger v1 came out April or May time and it's version 12.4 now with a ton of bug fixes and all sorts of feature improvements since then. So to start writing your own tool, we've already mentioned some of the features we get, but there's honestly dozens of settings that it has, more than the ones I mentioned. Not just every letter covered, but multiple letters have lowercase and uppercase and there are quite a few that don't have shortcuts like there's another few dozen that just you know you have to set separately so you're yes incredibly flexible and tested like it's been tested for many many years which is worth it worth a lot.
Alicja: Exactly, exactly, you know like to be honest to write your own tool that would be that comprehensive it would have like so many dashboards so many information in it like it's years you know so yeah I do prefer to have this tool instead of, you know, writing my own, but I totally get people that prefer to write their own tools.
Michael: Nice. And is there anything that they could be doing? I think, is it Gilles Darouine? I don't know quite how to pronounce their name, but the maintainer, is there anything they could be doing or is there anything you'd like to see in pgBadger in the future?
Alicja: I would like to see the support for Azure. That would be my main thing. And you know, probably that also like the thing about the logs, and I know this is not easy because it's not that easy like to get that from the logs. But you know, in the logs tab, you would see only the queries that were locked, not like the queries that caused the lock. And of course, there is a simple reason because of that, because it's how Postgres is doing this, right? But sometimes if you've got log min duration statements to 0, right, and you've got PID in the prefix, you can just correlate, right? Because Postgres would normally tell you like, okay, this PID is blocking your query, right? So then you can search for this PID and maybe you've got like the query and try to correlate that because it's, you know, it's not that useful. Like if you just see like the queries that are locked and not what is actually locking the queries, right? So you need to have an additional cron job with the lock query to compare with. So yeah, that for sure would be an ask, but I'm not sure if this is actually the ask to Gilles. I also am not sure how to pronounce his name, so I'm saying Gilles. I'm not sure if this is an ask to Gilles or more to Postgres contributors, to be honest, just to have that in the logs.
Michael: Yeah, to log more information. So yeah, that makes sense that it might be there. Cool. And yeah, it's released under the PostgreSQL license, which is one of the most permissive licenses I've ever seen, which is awesome. So thank you for doing that. Thanks for all your hard work on it. Is there anything else you'd like people to know?
Alicja: Nothing's coming to my mind, to be honest.
Michael: Well actually, because you started with throwing shade at pg_stat_statements, I did wonder if there were any... So, like, for example, with pg_stat_statements, we can see things like buffers. We can see the amount of work done by each query. So reads, writes, temp, shared, that kind of thing. I don't think, is there a way to see that kind of information? I guess we could look at the auto_explain logs but I don't think pgBadger is doing anything at the moment to aggregate those per query group.
Alicja: No, I've never seen that. Just thinking if we would have like more, if we would change error verbosity, if that would be logged and then presented, but I haven't seen that. So I don't want to guess, but you know, like for me, actually, the pgBadger, it's like I'm going to the top queries. And when I see top query, like, yeah, maybe let's go first through the process. That will be easier. So when I see the top queries, sometimes it's just, you know, you just see what's wrong. Like, it's really pretty often, like, much more often than, you know, you would guess, like, just you see, okay, this is not in, right, or this is something similar. So, you just see that, right? So, you don't need to even run explain analyze but if you don't, then I just take the query and run explain analyze on that and yeah, that's the next step I would do. So but yes, you are right.
Michael: And then you can ask for buffers.
Alicja: Exactly, and then like buffers, yes, absolutely, I would use that option.
Michael: So just to clarify on that, I think this is great, so top queries is a really good point and it orders those by total execution time. So, across all calls, right? So, you see, it could be a slow query that's run a few times that's taking up the most resources or it could be a fairly fast query that's being run thousands of times per second, as you mentioned, and they're ordered by, I believe the main report is by total execution time. Is that right?
Alicja: You've got like couple sections on this page. So you've got the most important one that I'm using. It's exactly the one that you mentioned. So the total execution time, that this is always like the first thing I'm looking at, like, you know, what took the most time of this, you know, from the system, which queries that it doesn't matter for me, just one query, or it was like multiple executions of other queries, right? So this is like probably the third section from the top, but you also have other aggregations, like the slowest individual queries, other stuff, but I usually don't look at that, to be very honest. I just, you know, I just taking the, this is absolutely my favorite. If I need to then, yeah, I go, but it's absolutely my main point, like to go there and see.
Michael: Nice. That's what I like to recommend people do on pg_stat_statements as well. But I guess with this one, with pgBadger, we get more of an opinionated, shows people what to look at rather than pg_stat_statements. People can query and order by whatever they want. So I see a lot more people making that mistake or just looking at their slowest queries rather than the totals. Amazing. Alicja, thank you so much for your time today. Is there anything you want to plug or anything you want to share with people?
Alicja: Actually, if I may plug my songs, because I just realized not many people do know my songs. I produced two songs, the first was about the vacuum and the second one actually you were the author of the lyrics, right? So you know there are like two Postgres songs out there and yes We are co-producers of the second one. So yeah, that would be absolutely my, my plug.
Michael: That's kind of you. The lyrics are extremely basic for that second one. So I apologize to people in advance, but you did an awesome job with the vocals and the, that was not me, the vocals and the video as well. It was a nice one of all the Postgres events so yeah you did an awesome job I will happily link those up in the show notes.
Alicja: Thank you.
Michael: Thank you so much Alicja, it's been a pleasure take care.