I'm Nik, PostgresAI, and as usual with me here is Michael, pgMustard. Hi, Michael.
Michael: Hello, Nik. How's it going?
Nikolay: Very good. How are you?
Michael: I am good, thank you.
Nikolay: We haven't recorded last week because I was on trip in Oregon forest having some fun disconnected from internet mostly Yeah, so now I return you said that we should discuss sequences somehow, right?
Michael: Yeah, so I was looking back through our listener suggestions. So we get, we've got a Google doc where we encourage people to comment and add ideas for us to discuss topics. And whenever I'm short of ideas, I love checking back through that. And 1 of them from quite a long time ago actually caught my eye and it was the concept of gapless sequences and I guess this might this might be a couple of different things but I found it interesting both from like a theoretical point of view, but also in terms of practical solutions, as well as being 1 of those things that's kind of, so a sequence with gaps is 1 of those things that catches most engineers eye. Like if you start to run a production Postgres, you will see occasionally an incrementing ID and then a gap in it. And you think, what happened there? So it's 1 of those things I think most of us have come across at some point and been intrigued by. So yeah, there's a few interesting causes of that.
Nikolay: Name sequence should mean it's sequential. Why the gap? It's unexpected. And by the way, this episode, is it number 163 or because I missed last week it will be number 164
Michael: Do you know what, it would be quite funny to, should we increment the episode count?
Nikolay: Yeah, what's the number because I was telling, yeah
Michael: Either we should do yeah 164 missing 1 and then do 163 next week as like a joke, because it's like coming in too late, or we just carry on increasing the number.
Nikolay: This is another anomaly you can observe sometimes, because at commit time you can see like we have many users they can use next numbers from sequence all the time and Then at commit time the order is not, it can be different of course, right?
Michael: Yeah, I forget the name for it, but whatever it whatever that phenomenon is but whatever is we should discuss that next week and have the...
Nikolay: It's not serializable right so it's yeah it's not serialized so if you have 2 transactions and 1 for example you have support system, ticket tracking system, and you generate ticket numbers, you think sequentially. 1 user came, opened a ticket, but haven't committed yet. Another user came, opened ticket, and that ticket has bigger number, next 1, right? And then committed already, and then you committed this, you see 1 ticket created before that 1 right but at the same time if you generate timestamp automatically with like created at time created at Column with with default clock timestamp or something and it was it INSERT happened at the same time when a Sequence nextval call happened. In that case, created at values will have the same order as Sequence values, like ID column values. Right. So there will, there will not be a problem when you order by those tickets but normally can be understood oh there is a ticket number like 10 and then number 9 visible layer because we don't see uncommitted writes right So it should be committed first before it's visible to other transactions, other sessions. Yeah. But this is different anomaly, like gapless gaps. It's this Anomaly is very well known because for the sake of performance, Sequence, this mechanism in Postgres exists for ages and it just gives you next number all the time and of course if you for example decided to Rollback your Transaction you lost that value. So this is number 1 thing.
Michael: Yes, exactly. So it's to allow for concurrent rights, isn't it? So if you've got, imagine like within a microsecond, 2 of us trying to INSERT to the same Table, if my if I am just before you and I get assigned the next value in a Sequence and then my Transaction fails and is rolled back you've already been assigned the next value after me so yeah I think that's that's super interesting So I think that's probably the most common, in fact possibly not, but that's the 1 I always get see always see as the example given as to why.
Nikolay: Yeah so for not to think about going back to previous values like this is your value and it's like fire and forget like this value is wasted and the Sequence has shifted to new value although you can reset it using there's nextval and there's setval there's currval and currval requires a assignment first before you can use it and then setval. So you can shift Sequence back if you want, but it's global for everyone. And Also interesting, Sequence is considered a Relation as well, right?
Michael: Yeah, we discussed this recently, didn't we? Yeah, yeah,
Nikolay: in pg_class you see a real kind equals, you said capital S, right?
Michael: Capital S, and by the way I was wrong, it's not the only 1 with a capital there is 1 other do you know the other 1?
Nikolay: No.
Michael: Indexes on partitions. Okay. Capital I.
Nikolay: Okay.
Michael: So we've got 1 1 cause already you've mentioned which is transactions rolling back I want to go through a bunch of other causes, but before that should we talk about, like why would you even want a gapless sequence? Like what, we've got sequences and sequences with the odd gap in are fine for almost all use cases. Should we talk a little bit about why even bother? Like why even discuss this? Why is it a problem?
Nikolay: Well, expectations, I guess, right? You might have expectations.
Michael: So I think I've only got a couple here. I'm interested if other people have seen others and but 1 I've got is user visible IDs that you that you want to mean something. There was a really good blog post on this topic by some folks at incident.io and it was actually old friends of mine from GoCardless days and they wanted incident IDs to increment by 1 for their customers so they could refer to an incident ID And if they've had 3 that year, it's up to 3 and then the fourth 1 gets assigned incident 4 and It's not ideal if they want to if want them to mean something For them to miss the odd 1 and much worse to miss like 10 or 20 in a row
Nikolay: So they obviously have many customers. So it's multi-tenant system, right? Yeah, And do they create a sequence for each customer?
Michael: Well they did initially.
Nikolay: Okay yeah I'm asking like because I saw this in other systems and I remember the approach when we have a sequence just to support primary keys unless we use beautiful UUID version 7. Yeah. Well, with some drawbacks, but overall it's winning in my opinion these days. But for each customer, like the namespace of each client ID or organization ID, doesn't matter, project ID, we might want to have internal ID. Internal ID which is local, right? And then we shouldn't use sequences. It's like overuse of them because if each customer has like thousands or millions of rows and like we can handle it and collisions would happen only locally for this organizational project or customer, right? Which is great. Yeah, right. So, so yeah. And for sequences, we just, the only thing we care about is uniqueness, in my opinion.
Michael: Yeah, yeah, you're right. Uniqueness is, but that's the job of the primary key, right? It's also the fact they only go up, I think.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, well, unless somebody rewind, right?
Michael: Setval.
Nikolay: Setval, exactly. So, and the capacity, like, just forget about it because it's an int8 always for any sequence. I noticed some blog posts you share with me, not this 1, different ones, that you used int4 primary keys. I am very welcome this move because these are our future clients. Yeah. So very good move. Everyone please use int4 primary key and later if you're successful and have more money you will pay us to fix that. Yeah.
Michael: I like you flipping the advice. So wait, but you said something interesting then. So you said sequences are always int8. So even if I have an int4 primary key, the sequence behind it is int8?
Nikolay: Sequence is an independent object which, well, independent relatively because there is dependency which is also a weird thing, like owned by, right? It might be dependent, but it also might belong to a column of a table. With alter table, alter sequence owned by some column, right? But overall it's just a special mechanism, int8 always, and just gives you a next number, next number, That's it. Simple.
Michael: Yeah. So yeah, by the way, I wasn't talking about... So incident.io did use sequences initially and it turned out to be a bad idea, but all I meant was that that's a use case for not just monotonically increasing IDs, but IDs that increase by exactly 1 each time. So that's 1 use case for like the concept of gapless sequences. And another 1 came up in the blog post by Sequin that I shared beforehand, and I'll link up in the show notes again and that was the concept of Cursor-based pagination so the the idea that you well I think it's I think it's very similar to keyset pagination but based on an integer only so the idea that it would I guess it's I guess for those it's most important that it monotonically, that it only increases but also that concept of the committing out of order becoming important. So if we read rows that are being inserted right now there might be 1 that commits having started later than a second 1 that sorry having started earlier than a second 1 that hasn't yet committed so we could see The example they give is we could see IDs 1, 2, and 4, and later 3 commits But we only saw 1, 2, and 4 at the time of our read So if we were paginating and got the first set and it went up to 4 And then we only looked for ones above 4, we've missed 3. So that's an interesting definition of a sequence where you don't want there to be gaps maybe at any point.
Nikolay: You know what I'm looking at the documentation right now and I think it would be great if this thing called not sequence but something like generator, a number generator or something. Because sequence it feels like it should be sequential and gapless, like it's just some feeling you know. This gives false expectations to some people, not to everyone. Of course the condition says getSequence define a new sequence generator. So generator is a better word of this. And I think the condition could be more explicit in terms of gaps to expect. So yeah, in my opinion, in my practice, it happened not once when people expected them to be gapless somehow, I don't know. A lot of new people are coming to Postgres.
Michael: All of us were new once, right? I definitely experienced this. I think for us, moving on to a second cause of this, I think the reason we were getting them was using insert on conflict. So it was something around having new users that had been added by somebody else in the team, for example. So the user had already been created behind the scenes because somebody invited them, and then when they signed up, we were doing an insert on conflict update or something like that and then so as part of that the next file was called just in case we needed to insert a new row but we ended up not needing to because it was an update instead. So I think you can get these again through insert on conflicts.
Nikolay: Yeah, and actually the documentation mentions it. Oh, cool. It mentions it, like I think still could be mentioned more explicitly maybe in the beginning and so on. And the thing is, someone might consider sequences as not ACID, right? Because if rollback happens, they don't rollback. For the sake of performance obviously.
Michael: So it violates atomicity does it?
Nikolay: Yes or no? Yeah so if other things, other writes are reverted, this change that we advanced sequence by 1, we shifted its position, it's not rolled back. So our operation is only partially rewarded if we strictly look at it. For the sake of performance it's pretty clear but yeah so like kind of not fully ACID and that's okay it's just you need to understand it and that's it yeah and the most natural but I can understand the feelings of people who come to Postgres now and just from the meeting they expected it but then boom. It's a simple thing to learn.
Michael: Another case where naming things is hard.
Nikolay: So, yeah, for me it's a generative number, huge capacity, 8 bytes, and it gives me a tool to guarantee some uniqueness when we generate numbers. That's it. Very performant. Very, very. I never think about performance because rollback is not supported. That's it. Let's go and yeah, but let's talk about again like If we really need it, I would think do we really need it or we can be okay with it. If we really need it, I think we should go with like specific allocation of numbers, maybe additional ones, not primary keys, right?
Michael: Yeah, well personally I think this is a rare enough need that, it's not needed by every project I don't
Nikolay: think right
Michael: I've run plenty of projects that have not needed this feature so I personally think there's not a necessity to build it into Postgres core as a feature as like you know a sequence type or something but I do think it's interesting enough like it seems to come up from time to time and I think there were neat enough solutions at least at lower scales I'm sure there is a solution at high scale as well but there are simple enough solutions at lower volumes that I think there's no necessity I don't think for a pre-built solution that everyone can use.
Nikolay: High-performance solution? It's impossible because if there is a transaction which wants to write number 10, for example, but it hasn't committed yet and we want to write number next number or also number 10, it depends on the status of that first transaction. We need to wait for it, right? It creates natural bottleneck. Yeah. And we, we like, I cannot see how it can be undone, right? Like can be done differently. We need to wait until that transaction. We need to serialize these rights. And again, for me, the only trick in terms of performance here is to use the fact that if we have a multi-tenant system, we can make these collisions very local to each project or organization or tenant, right? So they compute only within this organization and other organizations are not like, are separate in terms of these collisions.
Michael: And ultimately, then it's about parallelizing writes, which I think is then sharding. Yeah. So if you've got the multi-tenant system across multiple shards, you can then scale your write throughput So yeah, it feels to me like another case of that probably being the ultimate solution
Nikolay: well, if you have sharding and distributed systems, it's like
Michael: Across shards, I don't mean
Nikolay: yeah locally locally
Michael: Yeah, exactly. If you've got a tenant that's local and you can...
Nikolay: Because if you want pure sequential gapless number generator for distributed systems, it's a whole new problem to solve. You basically need to build service for it and so on. But again, if you make... So you should think about it. Okay, we will have thousands of writes of new rows inserted per second, for example, soon. What will happen? If the collision will happen only within boundaries of 1 tenant or project organization, doesn't matter. It's not that bad, right? They can afford inserting those rows sequentially, 1 by 1, and maybe within 1 transaction or some transactions will wait, but maybe just 1. So maybe this will affect our parallelization logic. So saying, let's not deal with multiple tenants and multiple backends and transactions. Let's do it in 1 transaction always. But if we like write thousands of rows per second and they belong to different organizations, collisions won't happen, right? Because they don't compete. So this dictates how we could build this high performance, gapless sequence solution. We just should avoid collisions between tenants for example. That's it.
Michael: Yeah. But we've jumped straight to the hardest part. Should we talk about a couple more of the kind of times that you might...
Nikolay: — Oh, surprises! Yeah, so rollback is 1 thing which can waste your precious numbers. Another thing is, I learned about it and I forgot, and relearned when you sent me these blog posts, there is a hardcoded constant 32 pre-allocate. Actually I think there is constant and I think there is some setting. Maybe I'm wrong but there should be some setting. Yeah, so which you can say I want to pre-allocate more.
Michael: Oh, I didn't come across that. So we've got set log values, that's the hard-coded 1, right?
Nikolay: Yeah, maybe I'm wrong actually. So there are pre-allocated values. And can we control it? No, we cannot control it, right? 32. Ah, there is cache, right? What is cache? When you create a sequence, you can specify the cache parameter as well.
Michael: Okay, so what does that control?
Nikolay: Yeah, so this controls exactly like this. If you don't do it, it will be 32.
Michael: Oh, okay. So it's defined on a per sequence.
Nikolay: Per sequence. You can say I want 1000. Pre-allocate.
Michael: What if we set it to 1?
Nikolay: Well, only 1 will be pre-allocated, right? 1 is minimum, actually.
Michael: 1 is minimum.
Nikolay: Yeah. Actually, it's also interesting, maybe I'm wrong because there is also... Yeah, so I'm confused. So the computation about this parameter says 1 is default, but we know there is also 32 hardcoded constant. In any way, I don't know this hardcoded constant can be associated with 32 gap. So when, for example, a failure happens or just you fail over, switch over to new primary, which should be like normal thing, right? You change something on your replica, switch over to it. This is when you can, you might have a gap which is described in 1 of those articles 32. So I'm not sure about this cache parameter, right? So maybe if you change it, it's only cache of pre-allocated values and that's it. Maybe like specifying it won't lead to bigger or smaller gaps. I'm not sure about that. So maybe there are 2 layers of implementation here. But based on articles, we know there are gaps of 32. And this is just common, right? And interestingly, this is connected to recent discussions we had with 1 of the big customers who have a lot of databases. And we discussed major upgrades. And we have 0 downtime, 0 data loss, reversible upgrades solution which multiple companies use. And part of it is like 1 of the most fragile parts is when we switch over. During switchover into logical replica, we do it with basically without downtime things to pause, resume and PgBouncer. Also Patroni supports it. So we pause and resume. And between pause and resume, where small latency spikes in transaction processing happens, we redirect PgBouncer to a new server. And that server by default has Sequence values corresponding to initialization, because the logical replication in Postgres doesn't support still, there is work in progress. I think it's close to. It doesn't replicate values of Sequences. So the question is how to deal with it. There are 2 options. First, you can synchronize Sequence values during this switcher, but it will increase this spike. We don't want it because we achieved a few seconds spike. That's it. It feels really pure 0 downtime. And if we start synchronizing Sequences, it will be incremented. Especially some customers had like 200,000 tables, it's insane. But okay, if it's only 1000 tables, I thought, well, I don't want it. Actually, 1 of the engineers on the customer side said, you know what, like, this set value is not too long. If we quickly read it, quickly adjust it, maybe, okay, another second. And testing shows, yeah, exactly, like, changing position of Sequences super fast, actually. Yes, if you have hundreds of thousands of tables and Sequences, it will be quite slow. But it's only a few, you can do it quite quick, also can paralyze it maybe, but it will make things more complicated. But another solution which I like much more, we just advance it beforehand, before switchover, with some significant gap, Like I say, check how many you spend during a day or 2. Millions, 10 millions, advance. We have enough capacity for our life. 8 bytes, it's definitely enough. So, yeah, just bump it to like 10 millions. But then it works with, you know, your system, like 1000, 2000 tables, just 1 system, and you know, these big gaps are fine. But when you think about very, very different projects, thousands of clusters, you think oh maybe some of them won't be happy with big gaps. You know? This is a hard problem to solve.
Michael: And if you go back in the other direction, let's say you want to be able to fail back quickly, that's another gap. So each time you bounce back and forth.
Nikolay: Yeah. Yeah. Since our processes, our process is fully reversible. It's really blue green deployments. Every time you switch, You need to jump and we recommend jumping big like we have big gaps and I would say you should be fine with it But I can imagine
Michael: why not smaller gaps. Why not? Like why not? Let's say it's a two-second pause.
Nikolay: Yeah, if you know there won't be spikes of writes right before you switchover, well, we can do that. But it's like, it's just, there are like risks increase of overlapping. If you did it wrong, after switchover some inserts won't work because this sequence already used, right? —
Michael: With duplicate key, or yeah.
Nikolay: —
Michael: Yeah, so... — What would the actual errors be? Duplicate key violations?
Nikolay: — Yeah, so your sequence... But yeah, it will heal itself, right? Thanks to the nature of sequences which waste numbers. Insert a unique key value, oh, it works. It's funny. Yeah, anyway, I always preferred to be on the safe side and do big jumps But when you think about many many clusters and things of many people It's a different kind of kind of problem to have and and so I'm just highlighting the gaps are fine. But what about big gaps? Yeah, you know some Sometimes it can look not good. In this case, We are still thinking maybe we should just implement 2 paths, you know, and by default we do big jump, but if somebody is not okay with that, maybe they would prefer a bigger spike or bigger like maintenance window, like, okay, well, up to 30 seconds or so yeah while we are synchronizing those sequences and don't allow any gaps or will for me naturally knowing how sequences work for years like gaps should be normal right
Michael: yeah it's so interesting isn't it like the trade-offs that different people want to make.
Nikolay: You know solution to this?
Michael: Yeah. Pardon me?
Nikolay: You know the good solution to this? Finally start supporting sequences in logical replication, that's it.
Michael: Yeah, that would be... Well, yeah, and that might not be too far away, so yeah. I think
Nikolay: so, I think so. This work in progress lasts quite some years. It's called logical replication of sequences or synchronization of sequences to subscriber. And it's already multiple iterations since 2014, I think. And it has chances to be in Postgres 19, but it requires reviews. It's a great, great point for you to take your code or Cursor and ask it to compile and test and so on and then think about edge cases, corner cases. If you don't know C, this is a great point to provide some review. You should be just an engineer, like writing some code, you will understand discussion, comments, it's not that difficult. So I encourage our listeners to participate in reviews, maybe with a AI, but there will be still value if you consider yourself an engineer. You will like figure it out over time which value you can bring. The biggest values in testing is to think about various edge cases and corner cases as a user, as Postgres user, right? And try to test them and AI will help you.
Michael: Yeah. Well, I also think we do have several experienced Postgres, like C developers listening and I think it's always a bit of a challenge to know exactly which changes are going to be the most user beneficial because you don't always get a representative sample on the mailing lists. I think sometimes like a lot of the people asking questions are very like the beginning of their journey. They haven't yet worked out how to look at the source code to solve problems so you don't get some of the kind of slightly more advanced problems always reported because people can work around them and I think this is one of those ones that people have just been working around for many years. A lot of consultancies deal with this in different ways, but it is affecting every major version. There is friction on, so if any hackers, any experienced hackers are also wondering like, which changes could I review that would have the biggest user impact. This feels like one.
Nikolay: This feels like so many wanted. Logical replication is used more and more like bluegreen deployments and so on. And it's like for me in the past, if I looked at this, let's include by the way, commitfest entry so people could look at it and think if they can review and help testing. So in the past, I would think, okay, to test it, I need first of all, what I need, this is about logical replication and behavior. I need logical replication, setting up 2 clusters with logical replication. Oh, yeah, okay. I have better things to do actually, right? Now you can just launch your cloud code or Cursor and say I have Docker installed locally on my laptop or something. Please launch 2 containers, different versions maybe, create logical replication and let's start testing. And then like not containers. If containers work, now you can say, okay, now I want some of them are built locally from source code and then same thing. And you don't need to install logical repli... To set up logical replication yourself, that's it. So, yeah, so this like roadblocks can be eliminated by AI and then you focus only on use cases where this thing can be broken and this is where you can start contributing. You just need to be a good Postgres user, that's it.
Michael: Yeah, nice.
Nikolay: Good. Just to be able to distinguish logical replica from physical replica manually, that's the only thing you need to know to start. Yeah, good. Okay. So, are there any other cases where we can experience gaps?
Michael: Well, I actually thought, I only wanted to talk about 2 more things for sure. 1 is why 32? Why do we pre-allocate these? I think that's interesting. And 2, what can you actually do about, like if you, I thought the incident, like especially at lower volumes, there's like some neat solutions. That were the only last 2 things I had on my list.
Nikolay: Well, for performance we pre-log it, right? Because technically it's a page, it's like also a relation which stores value and so on, right?
Michael: Well, I got the impression from a comment in the source code that it was... So let me read it exactly. We don't want to log each fetching of value from a sequence so we pre-log a few fetches in advance. In the event of a crash we can lose, in brackets skip over, as many values as we pre-logged. So I got the impression it was to avoid spamming the WAL.
Nikolay: Yeah, it's optimization technique, that's it.
Michael: So I could imagine a case where you'd want to pay that trade off the other way around, like, and it's good to know, as you mentioned, that you can reduce it on a per-sequence basis.
Nikolay: I think it's different. I think what you can reduce is cache, but it's not the thing that goes to WAL. I'm not 100% sure here. I just think you still lose 32. But because these are 2 different things. 1 is a hard-coded constant value, another is dynamic control by user. But maybe I'm wrong again here. It's a good question to check, but it's nuance. For me, a sequence is always a gap, having gaps, that's it.
Michael: And it's okay. So okay, the last thing was solutions. And I thought the instant 1 was really neat but also quite oh it's very very simple I like simple solutions that work for now and we can solve later problems later. And it was just to do a subquery and read the max value currently and increment it by 1, so not using sequences of course.
Nikolay: Yeah, no sequences, it's just reading. It reminds us of the episode we had with Haki Benita, right? And the problems. Yes, yeah. Get or Create or something like this, right? Yes. So we need to basically, we need to deal with other, like we need to read the maximum value and get plus 1, but maybe others do the same thing in parallel. And how to deal with performance in this multi-concurrent environment. Again, the clue for me is to narrow down the scope of collisions. That's it. So contention would be local to...
Michael: So there's multiple options, right? You could just implement, I say just, as if it's simple. Retries are 1 option. If you expect collisions to be super super uncommon retries would be a solution but I think there's well the Sequin blog post actually goes into a bit of depth into how you could scale this if you are doing tons, like a lot per second. So that's an interesting solution. There's way too much code to go into now, but I'll link that up in the show notes. But yeah, I did think there's like a range of solutions like from we have a multi-tenancy system, like incident for example. You're not going to be creating, hopefully most organizations are not going to be creating thousands of incidents per, never mind second, per day. So the chance of collisions or like issues there are so low that it's almost a non-issue whereas a different use case I actually I can't think of a use case for like needing a gapless sequence that can insert thousands or like thousands per second. So I just don't see that being a, well, I'd love to hear from people that have seen that or have had to deal with that and what they did.
Nikolay: Thousands per second?
Michael: Yeah. For an a gapless sequence like. Yeah. Where it's important not to have gaps.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah, because if you have a lot of inserts, you have big numbers. So the idea is a desire to have gapless matters when we have only small numbers.
Michael: I think it's more important, right?
Nikolay: Yeah, maybe. Also, the little 32
Michael: would disappear quickly. Imagine a gap of 32, it would disappear quite quickly. If you're, if you're,
Nikolay: if it's a big number, stop, stop paying attention to, yeah, maybe, maybe.
Michael: And also, I don't think computers care about gaps. I think it's humans that care. Yeah. Personally, I don't know.
Nikolay: Yeah. Well, with sequences, I remember it was 2005-06 when we wanted to hide actual numbers of users and things created in our social network. So we used 2 prime numbers and set default next val from sequence multiplied by 1 big number and then a module of the different number. So it was like fake random, you know, to hide it. I figure like you can still, if you create some of things yourself, you see numbers, you can quickly understand the logic and like it's still, you can hack it and understand the actual growth rates. But it's hard to understand absolute value for this. You don't know how many things, compared to like people who don't care, they're just 1 global sequence for all users and okay, number of posts, this like 1 million something. Okay, this platform has 1 million posts. It gives some signals to your competitors right
Michael: so Have you, I learned today what that generally is called it's called the German tank problem have you heard this? No It's like the maybe not the first but like the first famous case of this was, I think, in World War II, the Allies were using the numbers, like an incrementing number found on German tanks to find out how many they were going through, like how many, what their production capacity was. It was a useful thing in the war. So yeah, this is older than computers.
Nikolay: Yeah, it reminds me how the guys who from my former country went to your country to poison some guy and their passports were sequential. That's how they were tracked. Yes. So stupid, right? I mean, sometimes gaps are good. If you want to hide some things. So if you build some system maybe you want gaps actually.
Michael: Yeah, that's the next episode, another different episode.
Nikolay: How to build gaps.
Michael: Gapful sequences, yeah.
Nikolay: Some random gaps so everyone doesn't understand how many.
Michael: Yeah, just UUIDV4, right?
Nikolay: Random jumps. Yeah, so that's it. I also wanted to mention sequences have a... Like, a sequence has a few more parameters you can specify, like, min value, max value, and you can say it should be in loop. I don't know why, I never used it. Cycle, It's called cycle. So you can specify from 1 to thousand and cycle.
Michael: So you don't, for example, need to, it doesn't need to be on a primary key. So it couldn't be on a primary key. That 1.
Nikolay: Yeah. I would use like just percent operator model, just divide by something and have the same effect. But...
Michael: Yeah, I guess it's similar to transaction IDs. If you think about how transaction IDs look.
Nikolay: Wrap around, yeah. If you want to wrap around, go for it. Yeah, I'm very curious use cases for this never never used it yeah but increment also you can specify jump and like only odd numbers for example right
Michael: yeah or any positive might be more common.
Nikolay: We want to increment by random. This will be our random gaps to fool everyone. Yeah. Okay, good. Enough about sequences. Thank you for the topic.
Michael: Likewise. Good to see you and catch you soon.