Intro: This is for the sled dogs in the trenches. Real hockey parents, real stories. The Good and the Gong Show. No filters, no sugarcoating, no politics, just straight hockey talk, and the best guests around the barn. Welcome to the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast. Alright, boys. Grind them corners, chirp responsibly, and bring that savage fire.
Jamie: Alright, everybody. Welcome back to the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast Episode number 72 powered by Pacific Rink, the unfiltered podcast for hockey parents. No politics, no sugarcoating, just real talk for hockey parents in the trenches coming to you remote.
Scott: Well, you know what you sound like? What? You sound like you're trying not to speak too loudly in a public I
Jamie: am a 100% trying not to do that, by the way. You're you're exactly right about that.
Scott: Maybe we should whisper the
Jamie: whole show. Is it that obvious? Sorry, folks. Sorry.
Scott: Why don't you just keep the microphone closer to your mouth?
Jamie: I'm trying to.
Scott: Yeah. That's much better.
Jamie: I know. But I'm trying to hide the microphone so it doesn't look like I'm recording a podcast.
Scott: Well well, I mean, by by staying away from it, you're not giving it any extra cover.
Jamie: What do you want me to tell you? I don't know. You don't have to tell me anything.
Scott: Yeah. What's up, dude? So, you are in the middle of
Jamie: on a fire right now.
Scott: Well, that's for a few reasons.
Jamie: I am having a crazy Hockey Dads meltdown at the moment.
Scott: Uh-oh. Uh-oh. Full swing, buddy. Meltdown alert. Meltdown alert.
Jamie: Full swing. Literally full swing. Okay. So, go. Where do you want me to start?
Scott: From the beginning.
Jamie: From the beginning? Yes. I woke up this morning, I finished packing Dominic and I because he had a kind of like a showcase up at Sacred Heart University.
Scott: Nice. Did you oh, it's use your Pacific Rink pact?
Jamie: Oh, a 100%.
Scott: Oh, nice, dude.
Jamie: Oh, yeah, man. They're on our they're on our our socials, I think. I think we really put up on our socials already.
Scott: Yeah, was just double checking.
Jamie: Oh, a 100% I did. Yeah, a 100%. So, yes. So, woke up this morning, finished packing Dom and I. So, somebody obviously, you know somebody hit my Jeep not too long ago, Right? Yes. And I've been putting it off, not getting it fixed. Yeah. Just because I'm busy. I need my car. Right? So, like, so so I dropped off this morning. My mother picked me up from the auto body shop, drove me over to Enterprise Rent A Car, grabbed a car, went home, you know, packed it. So Dom and I jumped in. So we've been like going oh, had to stop at pure hockey because he snapped his pulse Friday night.
Scott: Right? But don't you have, like, 17, like, 17 blade techs?
Jamie: They're too short for him because he keeps growing. Oof. Yeah. Meanwhile, how do I get you in my ear, Scott? I I feel like I'm listening to you there's speakers in my in my computer.
Scott: Jeez.
Jamie: How do
Scott: you get
Jamie: you in my ear?
Scott: Oh, well, let me see if I can help you with that.
Jamie: We're having technical difficulties with me in the lobby of a hotel.
Scott: Are are your your
Jamie: Hold on. I got it.
Scott: Your speakers are you mean, your headphones are connected to the microphone or your computer?
Jamie: My headphones are connected to my computer.
Scott: So chain put it to the microphone?
Jamie: Yep. I got you, buddy.
Scott: And then change it.
Jamie: We're good. I changed it to the mic. We're good. We're good.
Scott: Okay. You're the man. So anyhow, so you went and so yet another multi $100 stick broke. Okay. Excellent. Outside of the warranty
Jamie: $300 for the pulse orange.
Scott: So now that's in the garbage?
Jamie: In the garbage. Yep. The blade snapped on Friday night at a three on three.
Scott: Oh, well, that's the you started off your weekend fucking spot on, dude.
Jamie: You know, I wasn't too worried about him snapping the well, the funny part about it was is he snapped the he snapped his pulse, and he has a a Twitch backup. And the Twitch backup's, like, two inches longer. Yeah. Right? So he used it for the end of and he crushed it in a three on three. So he's like, okay. He's like, I'm good. So finally, like so we're on our way up here to to to Connecticut this morning or this afternoon. And he's like, dad, he's like, what if my stick breaks? He's like, I don't have a backup. I'm like, oh, shit. So of course, pure hockey in Stanford is right there. Right? So we stopped at pure hockey along the drive. I added a stop to my ways, you know, to my ways. So we stopped. We were driving my pussies anyway, so it's not it was difficult. But so we stopped, bought another $300 stick, got a skate sharpened, he needed some more tape, and he needed some blizzard grip, and he needed this, and he needed that. You know? So I walk out of there like, you know, $400, you know, lighter. You know? So then we get to oh, listen. It gets better. We get so we finally get to Sacred Heart. Literally, it was not raining the entire day, but it was overcast. Right?
Scott: Mhmm.
Jamie: So we get to Sacred Heart. I park. It starts pouring.
Scott: Alright. I mean, probably you
Jamie: have to the car. Zero. Yep. Because it's
Scott: a rental. Awesome.
Jamie: Good job. I rented a Dodge Durango because it was the kind of the biggest SUV they had. Who knew that the rental car place were busy Monday mornings? I didn't till this morning.
Scott: Okay. Okay. So that's
Jamie: That's a thing. Alright. Yeah. So so we got to Sacred Heart, and he registered and, you know, got on the ice at 04:45. Okay. No, 04:20. Yeah, that's 04:20. Okey doke. And? It was a very high end showcase with like prep schools and colleges that are that are watching. Mhmm. Right? So, yeah, it was it was good. You know?
Scott: And how did that?
Jamie: He He was with elevens and twelves.
Scott: How many kids were on the ice?
Jamie: It was just his team. He's team a. There's a team b.
Scott: So we're talking like 15 aside more?
Jamie: I would say it's probably about 15 kids. Yeah. Something like that. Fifteen sixty kids.
Scott: All the
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Well, there there was 50. It was just our practice for our team. The other team practices
Scott: So that's the only time he's only skated with his team so far? Correct. And and how do end up on that team?
Jamie: Is there any rhyme or reason? Or they just divvied up. Right. Okay. Gotcha. You know, all very high level triple a kids, a lot of Mid Fairfield, two Boston Junior Eagle kids. I think that there's it's all elevens. The only twelves are Dominic, the two Junior Eagles kids, and, like, four Mid Fairfield kids. Wow. And Yeah. How to It was good.
Scott: You did you know any of the other families?
Jamie: I did. Yes.
Scott: You did? Oh, I got you.
Jamie: Rec house a bunch of people.
Scott: How did so once Dom once that all registered upstairs with Dom, was he like sweet or is he like, uh-oh?
Jamie: I think he was a little I think he was a little apprehensive at first, but but he performed nicely, so I can't complain.
Scott: Oh, good.
Jamie: Yeah. He the part. He did. Yes. Oh, great. His bandwidth got a little light. I would say midway through, started out real good. Bandwidth kind of started to wane midway through and then picked it up at the end.
Scott: Okay. And when he got off, was he Yeah. Good spirits? Like, he liked the the skate? Like, what what was going on?
Jamie: I think he was happy with himself. Oh, good.
Scott: That's always great.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. So that was good.
Scott: You know? Nice, dude.
Jamie: So yeah. Yeah. He sleeping on campus? No. He's in the hotel with me.
Scott: So this is only a day thing. None of those kids are or they aren't. It's just like
Jamie: sleeping there. No.
Scott: Right. Got you.
Jamie: No. This is it's funny. I this is I know you were asking me earlier, and it sounds ridiculous. I thought this was a hockey camp. This is a showcase. Clearly, I didn't read the email. I did not read the email when they sent it to me.
Scott: Yeah. Reading is important. It is. But may maybe maybe, you know, you should do you should like on you should change the settings so that, all of your emails become audiobooks or audio emails. So you can listen to them, but then you can say you read them.
Jamie: So funny you say that. If I could have listened to it, I probably would have been
Scott: fine. Better informed.
Jamie: Yes. Correct. Not you're not wrong about that. That's funny. So yes. So yeah. No. But it was it was good. He, like I said, some high end kids, so he was kind of in his old element again, which was really good. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Totally. Especially if
Scott: he comes off the ice feeling good.
Jamie: Yes. And, this was not your average triple a.
Scott: Right. It was like elite, high end elite players.
Jamie: Very.
Scott: Yeah. Got you. That's great.
Jamie: And he and he belonged, which was good. Totally.
Scott: Yeah. That's awesome. I'm I'm happy for him.
Jamie: Yeah. Me too. He was he was a little he was an Erwinist, but he these first couple of drills, he shook off the rust. Yeah. Yeah. This was good.
Scott: Is there, like, a networking component to this at all or no? Is there are the coaches just there, like, you're you're not none of the parents are getting in front of the the the representatives that are there or they are?
Jamie: You know, it's funny you say that. Tomorrow morning, when we registered, the guy registering us says he said tomorrow morning, they're gonna have, like, a little bit of an orientation for us. Mhmm. And they're gonna go over, like, you know, NCAA do's and don'ts. Like, I don't think they're allowed to talk to anybody. So that apparently, some something is coming tomorrow morning with,
Scott: like info?
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: Dude, if there's a you should see about getting guests on up there.
Jamie: I'm sure I can work something. You know?
Scott: I don't mean, like, like, record while you're up right now,
Jamie: but just Yeah. I don't know who am to talk to. I'll find out tomorrow morning. You know?
Scott: Yeah. But for different reasons. You know?
Jamie: Yes. Yes. But, again, I'm not sure. Again, I'm not sure who I'm gonna find out tomorrow who I am and I'm not allowed to talk to. Okay. You know what I mean? So it's funny. I text our buddy, Kellen Jones, Kellen and Connor.
Scott: Oh, yeah. Were there any of them there?
Jamie: So the reason I text Kellen when I was there, I said, Kellen, said on the flyer So I listened to a bunch of prep schools that were here and I listed a bunch of colleges, like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Quinnipiac, Holy Cross. So I said, Holy Cross. I know a coach from Holy Cross. So I texted Kellen Jones. And I said, Kellen, I said, are anybody from your school up here? I said, or is it just a thing that they put on the website? You know what I mean? So he just got back
Scott: to me.
Jamie: He says, let me check with our guys. And he says he just wrote me, he goes, I've not heard about that. He goes, but our assistant, not gonna say his name, is close with their assistant. So maybe they so he said, it's possible. Oh, okay. So maybe somebody from Holy is here. Wow. Interesting. Right?
Scott: Yeah. Hopefully that they're not You literally just come back to me real time. Oh, really? Nice. Alright.
Jamie: Just wrote me back. I just read that as it was coming through.
Scott: Hot off the wire.
Jamie: Because I honestly, Scott, I wasn't sure. I thought maybe it was like a marketing ploy like, oh, yeah. All these prep schools and all these yeah. I've been to things like that before. You know what I mean? Like, years ago. Yeah. Well,
Scott: I don't know. Anyway, Dom's birth year is clearly closer to college now than they were a couple years ago. So and high school, obviously.
Jamie: He's the youngest one here. There's only a handful of twelves. It's mostly elevens. Yeah. So there's elevens and twelves on on Dom and the other team. And then the other session are tens through o six.
Scott: Wait. Let me but let's back up for a second. You you could just sign up for this? Like, there wasn't any, like, vetting process?
Jamie: I I don't think you can just sign up. I don't think
Scott: Then how do
Jamie: I don't think this went out to everybody.
Scott: Oh, so you got, like, an invite?
Jamie: Yeah. I don't think this was a public maybe it was, maybe I'm wrong, but the talent level on the ice did not seem like it was public.
Scott: Yeah. That's what I was gonna say.
Jamie: This did did Dominic said it in the car too. Like, this didn't look like it was like a public invite. Maybe it was, but I can't imagine that it was a public invite. Like, all these high end kids are here. You know what I'm saying?
Scott: So you should find out how they they they got you.
Jamie: Nobody looked out of place, Scott.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Nobody looked at the place at all. You know? I'll let you know tomorrow when I see, like so tomorrow, there's a meeting of the practice, and then there's a film session for his team, and then they play in the afternoon. They come back in the afternoon. Yeah. But again, nobody looked at a place. So What Makes you wonder.
Scott: Yeah. You should you should you should revisit how you even got a got the invite Yeah. Or the email.
Jamie: I'm not sure.
Scott: Don't know answer to that.
Jamie: Dominic and were talking about on the way over the hotel. I'm not sure.
Scott: Yeah. Alright. Well well Yeah. If you can, share them. It'd be interesting to know how how that
Jamie: all came about. Me too. Same.
Scott: Good, dude. Well, listen. Yeah. Before we before we go any further, let's take a moment just to shout out sponsors. You wanna go with Howie's hockey as
Jamie: per usual? Howie's hockey, Crazy Ten. Go get your I just bought some tape. I just bought some Howie's hockey tape from Pure Hockey, and I didn't even use my own discount code.
Scott: Not smart. That's, you know, not reading emails and not using your own discount code. You're like batting, like, zero. Seriously.
Jamie: I'm telling you. I am like I'm crushing it today. Yeah. So so go get your tape and just pay and use the code crazy 10 so you don't have to pay more like I did. So use code crazy 10. Go get your tape, laces, gear. We love the swag that they have. Best looking logo in youth hockey next to ours. So use the code Crazy 10 for 10% off your Howie's hockey gear.
Scott: That's what's up. And while you're on the Internet checking things out, definitely stop over at hockeytraining.com. You gotta see what coach Kevin's got available online on his app, on the hockeytraining.com platform. Loads of off ice, speed, strength, agility, stick handling work for your yourself if you're a beer leaguer or your kids for the, you know, off ice training that you can do from home or wherever you might get some of that off ice in. But check out hockeytraining.com and see what Kevin's got to offer. And there's tons of stuff that's just gonna be transferable to on ice skills. So go check them out at hockey training HQ on Instagram or hockeytraining.com.
Jamie: Love it. And then go check out Titan Battle Gear. I know they're coming out with a new thing. I wanna say July 4 or around July 4. They're coming out with a new base layer. It's the best protection on the market. Scott and I love it for our kids. You guys should check it out too. They not only have the protection there, but they also have six styles, which is kids are all about to die these days, so they have the styles to go along with the protection. So go and use our discount crazy dads 10 for 10% off your Titan battle gear.
Scott: Alright. And for any coaches and managers that are thinking about video review or analytics for your team this coming season, check out athleticperformanceinsight.com. Use the contact form, reach out to Eric. He owns the company, built the platform, and he'd be happy to do a demo for you, show you what it's all about, break down the game for free so you can see what comes out on the back end after, you know, your team, your coach, your manager submits the video and you get it broken down so you can review with your team, parents can review with kids, or kids can review at home on their own. And it's just a great way to help your kids understand, you know, gameplay, game situations, hockey IQ, all that stuff. So anyone looking to introduce video review, check out athleticperformanceinsight.com. Love it. You'll always get 10% off a season subscription if you mention Crazy Hockey Dads. $100 value. That's what's up.
Jamie: Can I just tell you how many people are walking by me and they're looking like, what the fuck is this guy doing? There must be like a business something here because everybody's got like jackets on. Oh, yeah? Yeah. Well, I don't know. Something's going on.
Scott: Don't know either. Yeah. Anyhow, just say you're podcasting. Why don't you get some stranger on?
Jamie: Yeah. Don't think I won't, by the way. If somebody walks by and asks what I'm doing, I'm gonna actually have them come around and and and get in front of the camera. Oh, okay. Well, good luck with that. Don't think I'm not gonna do that. Alright. Especially with a hockey parent. No. Because I know you're
Scott: That's true. You can get a hockey parent on the fly.
Jamie: Dude, I I've been looking. Trust me. Apparently, some kid flew in from California for this, by the way. Oh, yeah? Yeah. So That
Scott: was a darn exciting thing the locker room. I'm looking forward to hearing more about what what else goes down this weekend and what Dom takes away from it. Hopefully, you know, he's learned a few things while he's there too. I'm sure he is.
Jamie: I'm curious. I'm really curious myself. You know? Yeah. It's gonna be it's gonna be it's gonna be interesting. I'll let you guys know. I'll definitely
Scott: keep
Jamie: you posted. Now, Oman had a tournament this weekend. Right?
Scott: Oh, he did. He played in a tournament. It wasn't it was down it was here in Jersey. He played with a team with a guy, the guy that does, like, skills training here on ice and off ice, put together a team, played in you know, it was like a mixed mixed skill tournament down the Jersey Shore. Most teams have, like, a mix of a I mean, double a and triple a kids. And, yeah, they got to the finals and lost, which was annoying. They they were up three one, then it was three two Uh-huh. Then it was four two, four three, four four, five four in overtime. And it was a bummer.
Jamie: But Okay.
Scott: You know, it was good to for him to get back out on the ice. He was really glad he did it. He had fun. He played with some some players that he used to be teammates with.
Jamie: Right.
Scott: And that was fun for him, you know, and he he had, you know, like, he was he had a pretty good, like, numbers weekend. Not exactly what I was praising with him over the weekend because there was definitely, know, a lot of you know, so frustrating when yeah, don't know. Just like as a parent, you just want you you know your kid can do more, and then you're just not seeing the more on the ice.
Jamie: I get it. And then I
Scott: say then I then I start second guessing myself. I'm like, oh, well, maybe maybe I just think he has more, but he doesn't really have more. You know what I mean? It's just like me thinking that he's not like doing his best but, you know, there was moments where it's like, you know, you gotta take away time and space like on the forecheck, you know, like if you're f one, like, gotta get up in that guy's face and it's like, come on guy, come on. Let's let's move those feet a little bit, back check, come on, a little faster, let's go. You know, these are things that I'm watching the whole time and then, you know, whatever, he he definitely, you know, he had some good plays, made some good passes, put a few nice pucks in the net.
Jamie: Okay. A lot of
Scott: points But, you it's still
Jamie: points this weekend. Right? What? He had a lot of points this weekend.
Scott: Yeah. I mean, he did well. I don't know what the exact number, but did you know, that that part stuck out, and so he was happy about that. But, obviously, the, you know, I'm just looking for him to kinda close gaps on things that are, you know, need need need work. So, anyway so now after
Jamie: the weekend, he hasn't played a lot of hockey since, you
Scott: know, I don't know, the end of the season. And so he had a tournament this weekend, and now he's on the ice for, a back to back clinic tonight.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: So we'll see. We'll see.
Jamie: So we always talk about not doing spring lean teams. Talk to me about about your experience. Would you do it again if you had to? Knowing now knowing now that you went through it, would you be would you sign up for this again?
Scott: If you wanted to. Yeah. And I say that because it wasn't like we were first and foremost, we weren't seeking out this tournament. Right? Like, we got we like, they had reached out to us. They were looking for some more players, and they got our name. So I signed Otto up Mhmm. In part because he wanted to do it, in part because he has friends that were, like, doing it also. Mhmm. And it was never meant to be, like, you know, we weren't chasing this, like, high end tournament team to go play high end talent in, like Mhmm. You know, Boston or Montreal or, you know, any real far travel.
Jamie: Like, a local
Scott: tournament with, like, a mix of kids for him just to go and have fun, you know, and be be with other players, be with, you know, different coaches just for a different experience. You know? It was so not there wasn't anything that were there was you know, we were chasing or so so to that end, it was, like, purely just because he wanted to, and he wanted to have some fun, and it was local, and we didn't have to try, you know, drive far. So if you want to do it again, sure.
Jamie: Yeah. No problem with Gotcha.
Scott: Yeah. But if he was also like, it's a pass, then I'd be
Jamie: like, okay. You know, it's a pass. That's fine. You know what I mean? Now I get it. Yeah. That makes sense. Nice.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Very nice. So I'm curious. We had somebody asked about somebody wrote it into us and asked about if we could have a conversation about the BRIC series. Wanna have a conversation about the BRIC series now?
Scott: Yeah. We can have a bad idea about Brick series.
Jamie: Higher level stuff. So let's hear your art. Well, so we'll give some context. So for those who don't know what the Brick series is, and Scott, you can correct me if I'm wrong here at all. But those of you that don't don't know what the Brick series is, the Brick series is a it's in your squirt years. I wanna say in your 10. Right? Does that sound right?
Scott: Yeah. It's your your squirt major year.
Jamie: Right. So, you know, so the Brick Series is a tournament that's held in Canada. I wanna say it's in I wanna say Edmonton.
Scott: Is that something? In the mall. It's in the yeah. In the mall in Edmonton.
Jamie: Right. So it's in the mall in Edmonton, and it is essentially your it's supposed to be your best squirts. Right? And there's teams there's teams that come from the regions. Right? So like, I think Penn's Elite's got one or maybe they're under a different name. Like, I know like the Boston Junior Bruins go, right, if I'm not mistaken.
Scott: There is junior Red Wings. There's breakout there's breakout Alberta. Right. Soda Rangers. Selects. Right. BC junior Canucks.
Jamie: Right. Are you looking at a website? You look did you punch it out?
Scott: I just I pulled it up. Toronto Bulldogs are there. Saskatchewan Junior Pats. Like, it's a mix of all, like, top end
Jamie: Yes.
Scott: Scored majors.
Jamie: That's right. So they have the pre BRIC tournaments. They start doing they start, you know, like having tryouts for these teams when the kids are mites. I remember Dominic had tryouts when he was a might, you go through the pre BRIC years. There's a lot of pre brick tournaments. Right? So Dominic did like it's funny. We hit it during COVID, so it was kind of difficult. But there was like the Windy City. There was Kings of Vegas. There's the one in Boston. I want to see the Boston showdown or whatever, I forgot what it was. But there's always pre brick tournaments. Right? Mhmm. You know, and essentially, as you get closer to your score years, they narrow down and they take, call it the top 30 kids, whatever it is. And then and then they take like a team, you know, to go when they're I think first or second year sports. Is it second year sports? That sound right? Yep. Right? Yep. So that's your BRIC series, you know, and it's and it's a lot of very high end kids. Right? Dominic made the pre brick team for CJR. So we did all the pre brick tournaments. He did not make the the brick the brick 30. He was right outside the the the top 30. And then I think they wound up taking, like, 18 kids to Edmonton. Unfortunately, for Dominic, that, you know, that mid Fairfield twelve team was what he had to compete with. Right?
Scott: Right. You know?
Jamie: So if he was in his region, it probably would have been a little different. But so Dom got shut out of the of the Brick series, which is fine. Nothing wrong with that. But yeah. So I'm I'm curious to hear so that's kind of some context on Brick. I'm curious to hear
Scott: your thoughts on starting soon. For
Jamie: that for that particular age. Right.
Scott: Yeah. So this year, last year was the 20 so two years ago was the 2014, last year was the twenty fifteens, and this year is twenty sixteens.
Jamie: Right.
Scott: Right? Right. So it actually starts on June 28. And you can if anyone that's interested, you know, or doesn't, you know, know about it, you can go to a brickhockey.ca, and you can actually watch some game. Can watch the games online just to get a see, you know, a look to see what it's all about. Right. But look, when when when so auto I auto never I never took him to a brick tryout. And I know people that use brick tryouts just to kind of get a sense to like how their kids stacks up compared to other, like, high end kids of that birth year because you're gonna see them all at tryouts for the most part or for sure. So, you know, some people go there thinking that they have a chance, but then they, you know, they may be delusional. You know, a lot of people, if they're going kinda like your your club teams, like, you you know, before the there's the trials even start if you're gonna be making the team or not. But, yeah, you you don't it's not geography defined. So if you know, depending on where you live, you know, there's some kids that if they know they're not gonna make one team, they're gonna go travel, they're gonna try to make another team. Like, there's a local
Jamie: kid last year. They certainly do. Yeah.
Scott: Yeah. So Otto played with a kid who didn't make the CJR or, you know, CJR team, but he ended up playing with the junior Bruins.
Jamie: Boston. Yeah.
Scott: The Bruins. That's what I
Jamie: call him. But, yeah, man.
Scott: I don't know. I, you know, I I didn't a few things, like, about that. Number one, I never thought about using it as a means for, like, to see how auto compares to, like, the other kids. I wasn't gonna just bring them up to a tournament with, like or not tournament. Sorry. A tryout. Mhmm. I just didn't see the, like, the value in it personally at the time. But I guess I understand why people do it. And then the other part was, if I really thought he had a chance of making it, I would have considered it. But I I didn't I didn't think that that was the case, and I'm sure he would not have made it, which is fine. So I was just like, why even I don't know. I was just we we never we didn't do anything brick, like zero. But I know plenty of kids that did and there weren't many kids. I think 2014, there was only one kid from New Jersey that played
Jamie: Okay. Break.
Scott: Or at least played on c on CJR's team. Maybe twenty fourteens, there was kids that played that lived in Jersey that may played for, I don't know, Penn's like, Pittsburgh or
Jamie: Right.
Scott: Boston. I'm not sure.
Jamie: But Right.
Scott: Yeah. There were no there wasn't a lot of representation from Jersey.
Jamie: No. There wasn't. Wanna say on our on our Brick team, I wanna say there was one kid made CJR, maybe two. I wanna say two. I wanna say
Scott: there
Jamie: are two Jersey kids. The so it's funny. I don't if you remember. Dominic played Dominic made the CJR pre BRIC team Yes. When he was a mite. And it's funny. I'll say this. At the CJR tryout for Brick, the first time we went up there when he was like eight. Right? That was when I first got my first taste of like
Scott: How crazy things are?
Jamie: I'll tell you a really wanna hear a fucked up story?
Scott: Yeah. Sure.
Jamie: And I'm in the hotel lobby telling this. Hopefully, nobody walks by. Okay. I'm gonna get arrested. It's unbelievable. So this is my Brick series story for everybody. Ready? So I hear about the Brick series. Okay? Because a a buddy of mine's kid played for mid Fairfield. K? As might. Yeah. It was actually the Bolts. Right? The Connecticut Bolts. So they weren't been fair for the x. I think they were too young.
Scott: They were full ice mines.
Jamie: I think so. Whatever it is. You know? I when I forgot what it was. But this is like an unbelievable story. I cannot believe I'm telling this on this podcast. This is like I can't blame you to say this. Why? So so my buddy goes, he goes, he goes, you should have Dom come up and try out for for for Brick. Okay. Fine. So I do. And I remember I pulled him out of school early because we're in Northern Jersey, not far from Connecticut, and I had to go up to Chelsea Pierce, Stanford. K? So I can't want me to tell this.
Scott: Come on. So embarrassing.
Jamie: Fucking embarrassing. So so I take down med school, like, call it, like, I don't know, forty five minutes early. K? So I pull him out of school. Scott, he must have been in, like, fourth grade. Yeah. I think it was fourth grade because because COVID hit, like, not long after. So May maybe the trials were in, February. That sound right? It was something like that. Right? Yeah. And because they were early. So I remember you waited till, like, May to here. Because like you said, it started in, like, June. Right? So spring was spring it's spring hockey.
Scott: Yep.
Jamie: So so the trials were early. So I I pulled him out of school and I bring him home and we're getting ready to go. Okay? And, like, you know those, like I don't know if it was like a bomb cyclone, but you know those, like, snowstorm, those snow snow squalls that just kinda, like, whip up all of a sudden? Yeah. Scott, I I Dom's school was was three minutes from my house. So I grab him, bring him home, grab his hockey bag, change into his base layer. Scott, I look out my back door, and it's a fucking white out.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: A white out. Yeah. So I'm like, holy shit. So I get in the car, and like there's snow everywhere. Like it wasn't supposed to snow. Okay. Okay? And there's it's white out. Like just out of nowhere. Right? So I'm again, so I'm I'm going from Northern Jersey up to Chelsea Pier Stanford, which is about an hour ish, forty five, fifty five minutes depending on like right? Yeah. On traffic. So I I literally get Dominic there. Okay? And I I run up to, like, the table. Scott, we must have had there were girls on the ice that were literally just getting off. Okay. K? Older girls getting off. Okay? Like teenage. K?
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: So so I I grabbed his his jersey. I signed it at the check-in table. They gave me his jersey. I'm, like, sweating. Right? Because I'm, like, gonna be late for this thing. I and I think they were running like two or three minutes behind. Right? Yeah. So the girls are getting off in the Zamboni. She's about to come on. So I get I get Dominic into the into the locker room, and everybody's basically done. Right? Like, they're like tying their skates. So and again, Dom's a mite. He's like an eight year old. Right? So I'm like tying a skateboard just trying to get him dressed as quickly as humanly possible. Everybody's leaving and my buddy my buddy's my buddy was there, but my buddy's wife was there. And and her son, they were literally just walking out the door. So, like, I was in the car for like an hour. I had to piss like a racehorse. Right? And I'm like trying to get him like dressed. Because I I I couldn't go to the bathroom because I was sitting in traffic, this bomb cyclone, like they had to be like ran out of the house. Right? There's like snow everywhere. Everything is slow. I'm driving on like back roads trying to like get to Chelsea Pier Stamford as quickly as humanly possible. Right? So I get him I get him I go in the locker room. Get him, like, changed. He gets out. The Zamboni is, like, getting off of the of the ice. Okay? So I run out. I think I grabbed, like I I ran out to, like, a water fountain because I was so thirsty. I ran into a water fountain, and then I'm like, I got water, and I'm I'm like, alright. I'm like, now that everybody's out of the locker room, let me go back in to locker room and use the bathroom. Okay. You want me so far?
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: K. I can't believe I'm gonna say this on live air. This is unbelievable. So I so I go back toward the locker rooms.
Scott: Concerning me. Like, where are we going with this?
Jamie: I'm telling you, I'm getting arrested. I go I I I I go back to the locker rooms. And I open up the door, and I and I I turned to the right. There was a wall there. I turned to the right, and Scott, it was the girls team who just got off the ice.
Scott: You went to their locker room?
Jamie: Yes. By accident.
Scott: Stupid.
Jamie: I didn't mean to.
Scott: Listen. Why
Jamie: So embarrassing. Like, I can't even tell you. So embarrassing.
Scott: It I can't even tell If it if it said girls locker room on the door, you're not gonna go in.
Jamie: Anything. It said nothing. Okay.
Scott: So that's not your fault.
Jamie: It said nothing. It said nothing. Like, so embarrassing. Beyond embarrassing, dude. Like, I can't even tell you.
Scott: Listen. Like Mistakes happen.
Jamie: I I called my buddy. I'm like, I'm getting fucking arrested.
Scott: Oh, give me a break.
Jamie: I'm like, dude. I'm like, just went into the wrong lock. I'm like, I'm getting arrested. I'm I'm getting arrested.
Scott: But you didn't, and nothing came of it. So you're fine, clearly.
Jamie: Yes. But that that's this is my brick tryout story. And I must say this, this that was the first time, and I'm leave I'm leaving stuff out in the story. But but this is my first time that I remember then coming out of that. Actually, I went and went to the right locker room, and I went to the bathroom, and I came out and I'm watching the kids just do laps around the ice just to warm up. Okay. And I and I remember I called my buddy and I'm like, holy shit. I'm like because I'd never seen such a concentration
Scott: Of high end.
Jamie: Of high end that age talent
Scott: Yeah. Yeah.
Jamie: Until I was up at Chelsea Beer Stanford. And you could see just by the kids doing a lap around the ice that I was like, holy shit.
Scott: This is another level.
Jamie: Whole another level. Yeah. It was a Scott was a whole another level. Yeah. You know?
Scott: Listen, if you watch any of the Brick Games, it's a whole another level compared to what you saw all season. I'll tell you that much.
Jamie: Yes. Yes. You know, it was a it was a whole another level of talent. You know? Yeah. And and and the kids all skated like Dominic did, which was very and some better. It was very It
Scott: was very impressive. Yeah. That's that's certainly one of the differentiators at that age. Yeah. The skating quality.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. No doubt. That was my that was my my my pre BRIC tryout for CJR. He made that so I think we started like said, we started we started, like, working out in, June. You know? Mhmm. The workouts were tremendous. They were ridiculous. The level and talent on the ice was fantastic. The drills were fantastic. Most people know Danielle Ward, you know, from the mid fair for the two thousand twelve team. Danielle was running it. I mean, she's a rock star. You know? It was very impressive. And then some and and then, unfortunately, then COVID hit. Right? Right. And most things shut down. So Dominic and made a Hockey Essentials team that year too, and the Hockey Essentials kinda shut down. They didn't do much. But but I gotta tell you, but but up in Connecticut, they actually they did the rest of the of the of the spring, which was awesome. Oh, wow. Yeah. You know? Go ahead. No. No. I was just gonna say, and then then you got into really stupid things like like having to wear, like, masks under your under your cage. And then and then I bought Dominic a bubble. And because Dominic had the bubble, they're like, oh, he doesn't have to wear a mask now because he has a bubble. I mean, how stupid? Because the bubble has holes on the bottom of it.
Scott: Yeah. It makes no sense.
Jamie: I mean, beyond dumb. But they're like, yeah. Like, so that's how we got around Dom wearing a mask on the ice because he had a bubble on. Because so clearly with the bubble, you didn't transmit it like you if you had a cage, which is one of the stupidest things that we were gonna
Scott: look back
Jamie: on and say. Right? Yeah.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: But but yeah. So so a lot of the pre break tournaments, like Dominica was supposed to go to Vancouver. That one was canceled that year. But Then the following year, we did a lot of the pre break stuff for like Windy City and then Kings in Vegas, and they're a lot of fun. It's not necessary folks. You do not need to play BRIC. You do not need to go to BRIC. There's plenty of people that are playing division one hockey and in the NHL that did not play BRIC.
Scott: No doubt. Yeah. But it's it's easy to get swept up in it because it's like the first real, like, milestone, you know, as as artificial of a milestone as it really is. It's, you know, it it signals like who are the top kids at that age group. But like, know, we always talk about at that time. Yeah. But it's such a long runway. And so many things can change. And, you know, look, I think that if if it's, you know, you're you have a family that with a kid that like hands down belongs on the team And, like, from a financial standpoint, it's not gonna you know, you're you're not you know, it's in your budget because it's not a cheap trip, you know, and you wanna do it. Like, I'm sure it's a great experience. I talked to a family who must have been a couple weekends ago who Otto played with not last year, the year before, and he's a 1535 birth year, and he was playing up with the fourteens. So he was on Otto's team when he was down at Woodbridge. And and the the kid's really good. You know, really good. He was one of the top players on our team. And he was, you know, a birth you know, he was a year younger. Right. And he was being, like, like, scouted for brick. And, you know, the family wasn't gonna go. They ended up going. But the dad was saying the dad was saying how, you know, it was a really cool experience. But, like, for these young kids, they're just like it like, you could tell, like, there's so many nerves in the locker room. Like, it was like, these are really young kids that are, like, going through, like, a lot of pressure trying to, like and plus, like, the mall. It's like you're playing in a mall where there's, like, all these different levels, and it's like, you know, the the the fans are right on top of the ice.
Jamie: And Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: Yeah. So in any event, no. I don't It's a lot. It's a it's a lot. But look, I I don't think like, I don't think people are foolish for doing it. I just think people that are chasing it because they think it's indicative of how their kid's career is gonna go, I think that that might be foolish.
Jamie: You know, it's funny. If I if I had to do everything all over again, I don't think I would have done it. Matter of fact, I know I wouldn't have done it.
Scott: Right?
Jamie: Just plugging my my laptop in so I don't die while we're going here.
Scott: Yeah. You you told me that when when Otto was getting when it was like Otto's timing and we were just talking about it, not that I was considering going, but you're like, if I could do it over again, I would have taken all the money I spent on the pre BRIC stuff and just put it into, like, private lessons.
Jamie: Yes. So I'll I'll I'll say this. The pre BRIC workouts were legit. Okay? If I could have done the pre brick workouts, especially as Danielle was running them, I would have done that and not given a shit about any of the tournaments.
Scott: Right. You know? Just the training.
Jamie: The trick because the training was phenomenal. You know? I don't know if every single team is like that. While I could speak for a CJR, the workouts were phenomenal. And listen, if you make it, awesome. You know? You know, if you like traveling, with your family and you don't mind spending the money, have at it. Right? You know, the stuff's not cheap. Know, Vegas is not cheap. Vancouver, you know, they're not cheap trips. As long as you have the means to spend, you certainly can and you like, and you but but you probably would be better off, you know, taking that money and going and doing skills. Yeah. That's my feeling. You know? Or or or or just do brick and don't do any other spring teams for the rest of the season. Right? And just go to right hand
Scott: Do brick and another spring team?
Jamie: No. Do not do any other
Scott: spring teams. You know? But how can you? You can't.
Jamie: Really want to do it, you can do it. You know? Like, do one do one spring team. If you're gonna pick one spring team, you could do brick if you really want to. Right? If you really want the experience of going to Edmonton and your kid makes the team and he's good enough, have at it.
Scott: Yeah. You know? That that money
Jamie: is probably better spent, you know, just training locally. Yeah. That's my guess. I mean
Scott: but, like, I I mean, this is also spoken by, you know, I I didn't Otto wouldn't have made the team, so this is, an easy thing for me to say. And if Otto let's just say, you know, if he was like other kids, like, been talked, you know, recruited or coaches were asking about him, would I my approach have been different?
Jamie: I don't know. Probably. Right.
Scott: Probably is to some degree. But at the end of the day, I don't think that whether you go or you don't go, it's it's really it it it's not it's not, like I said before, indicative of how your kid's career is gonna go at all.
Jamie: It's definitely not. You don't need there's like I said before, there's plenty of kids that do not play Brick Series, did not go to Pee Wee Quebec that have that are playing in college right now, that are playing in the pros right now. There's plenty of people. It it is it does not mean your kid is not on the right path. Well, I think a lot of people get FOMO That's like
Scott: Pee Wee Quebec too. That's like the next one.
Jamie: Yes. I I was smart enough to bag and not do Pee Wee Quebec.
Scott: Yeah. That that was like upon us.
Jamie: Not go to any tryouts for that.
Scott: Yeah. On auto Sam. Yeah. Even though, like, Peewee Quebec's a different Peewee Quebec's a different story because it's not just like an elite tournament. Like, they've got different brackets. Like, you could they've got double a and they may even have single a for all I know. But
Jamie: I'm telling you, Scott, I must have spent, like, I must have spent 12 to $15 on on spring types because, you know, if you remember, Dominic was on two pre break deeps. He was on CJR. He was playing for the Venom, which is like PHC, for those of you who were in the, know, Philly Hockey Club for in our area. It's just unnecessary. I do it over again, I would do a zero or maybe I would pick one. And again, the workouts were fantastic, especially CGR's workouts. That was a whole another level. So the workouts I loved, I could do without the tournaments and stuff like that.
Scott: Right. Alright.
Jamie: The Well tournaments are unnecessary. But people feel like if they don't do them, they'll be left out. And I think that's not true.
Scott: Well, in probably in most cases, it's not true. Are there some times where it might be true? Sure. But, like, still again, like, kids are so young, there's so much runway of hockey. Like, if it's if it's becoming like a clusterfuck to try to figure it out either between logistics, like, getting on the right team financially, it's like, I don't know, pass?
Jamie: Yeah. I mean, listen. Like I said, if you have the finances and you wanna do it and you don't mind blowing money and you like traveling for hockey and you make like a trip with your kid, then you know what? That makes sense to me. Go create some memories while you're doing it. You know I mean? Don't really worry about the hockey. Hockey is secondary. Go create some memories with your family and go travel and do that, and hockey is secondary. That's how I look
Scott: at that stuff especially because
Jamie: kids are 10 years old. Yeah. It's nothing. It's like again, when you look back at it, I mean, now Dom's going through his second bantam year, I mean, know, mites and squirts, it feels like a lifetime ago.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: And it's shit. It's nothing. It means zero. Nobody said like nobody asks you like, oh, like, where did you play when
Scott: you were 10?
Jamie: Nobody cares. Yeah. Right? Yep. You know, like like the the showcase we were just at, like, you know, none none of those coaches care where you were when you were 10.
Scott: Right. No. They don't. And I mean,
Jamie: that's Right?
Scott: Yeah. A 100%.
Jamie: Right?
Scott: 100. Yeah. And and speaking of coaches, you want to you you why why don't we switch gears a little bit and why don't you let let everybody know who's joining the pod tonight?
Jamie: So this is an exciting one. And this is one that Scott and I have been trying to kind of I don't say rekindle, but revisit, rebook. Yes.
Scott: Yes.
Jamie: Right? So we have the one and only Sean Flanagan, assistant coach at Cornell. We for those of you who have been following us for a while, you may recognize Sean Flanagan. We interviewed him when we were up in Lake Placid at the ECAC. It was great. It was short because Sean had to get on the ice with Cornell for his team's practice. So we only had about twenty minutes with Sean in Lake Placid. The bummer about that was is that our the mic cable went bad for those of you that remember. So when we interviewed Jason Tapp, we were able to save a little bit of Jason Tapp. We interviewed Connor Jones from Princeton. We were able to save a little bit of that. Sean, we were able to save nothing, unfortunately. Yeah.
Scott: It was sucks. Yeah.
Jamie: So so we're running Sean back tonight. Sean has been nice enough to to join us after his kids go to bed. And he is nice enough to join us to run his interview back. So we have Sean Flanagan from Cornell tonight.
Scott: Amazing. Yes. And, you know, I was just when when we were revisiting the interview with him in the last time when we had, you know, Ben Sayer on, you know, was like it was like a go tigers. Go tigers. And so I was like, oh, Cornell. What's their mascot?
Jamie: Big Red?
Scott: So I'm on Cornell's website.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: And the question is, what is Cornell's school mascot? Officially, Cornell does not have a mascot.
Jamie: However Red. Whatever that looks like.
Scott: Generations of Cornellians have come to know and love the big red bear as Cornell's unofficial mascot.
Jamie: Oh, they do have a bear, don't they? Yeah. That's right. So did they just Yeah.
Scott: They didn't I thought that was interesting. Did
Jamie: they just like inherit like a bear? Is that how that worked?
Scott: They don't have an official mascot.
Jamie: That one. Anyhow. Because the big the big red when you think about the big red, you know what I honestly think about? I think about, like, a Swedish fish or like a rat. Like, I
Scott: don't think of a bear. The Swedish chef, the Muppet. Oh
Jamie: my god. That's right. I forgot about him. Yeah. You know, it's funny. I'm actually wearing the appropriate hat for for our interview with Sean. So for those of you that don't remember Are those who's in Hobart? So Sean Sean's uncle is the head coach at Hobart and has been there for a very long time. Our buddy, Alec Marsh, episode I don't even remember. 30 no. Third 29, whatever it is, is the assistant coach at Hobart. And and Sean, our buddy Sean, is coming on with us shortly, started his coaching career as the assistant coach of Hobart under his uncle, who is still there, who Alec Marsh is coaching under. Yeah. I have an appropriate hat on for tonight. Sean's gonna love that.
Scott: Yeah. That's true. So good good on you. You're always prepared with your attire.
Jamie: It wasn't on purpose. I swear.
Scott: Yeah. Right.
Jamie: No. It really wasn't. It really wasn't on purpose.
Scott: Just happened
Jamie: to throw it on this morning when I was trying to get myself in gear.
Scott: Okay. Well But it worked out. That didn't go so well for you. Maybe you need to change your hat.
Jamie: Why? I mean, it's appropriate it's appropriate for our for Indus, so I have to leave it on now.
Scott: No. No. That's fair. And honestly, I think I just got confused about your story about when you were traveling to the
Jamie: small My story when I was traveling was my day was a little hectic, let's put it that way.
Scott: Yeah. Anyway, but dude, let's let's kick it over. Let's kick it over to interview and we'll pick it up on the other side.
Jamie: Sounds good.
Scott: Alright, my guy. Everyone enjoy the interview. Alright, everybody. Welcome back to another interview here on Crazy Hockey Dads. In today's guest, we've got Sean Flanagan, associate head coach at Cornell University. Sean has been there for some time now, think ten years, correct me if I'm wrong. And you've helped build Cornell into one of the top programs in the college hockey landscape. And obviously, you know, widely respected, you know, I think at least you are, Sean, for, you know, like recruiting, player development, you know, things along those lines. So thank you so much for taking time to to sit with us, to talk with us again after, you know, rookie rookie mistake over here not having a backup cable or even knowing that our cable didn't work. I mean, that's even more embarrassing. Yes. But nonetheless, for those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, Jamie and I were at the ECAC finals in Lake Placid, had an opportunity to talk with Sean then, and the cable was messed up and the audio stunk and yeah. So in any event, thanks again for taking time to talk with us again, Sean. It's my pleasure. Awesome, dude. And so listen, so for, you know, just we always like to set the table with guests and just so our audience knows, you know, kinda like who you are, like, you're up to. So if you can just kind of share with the audience, you know, you know, what you're up to over at Cornell. Yeah. I mean, right now, the kids have been gone about a month here from school, and it's a little wild thinking, what are we we're the third week in June now, and we're we're almost less than two two months away from them coming back. So summer seems to be flying, and, you know, there's a national camp stuff coming up for USA, and we're at those, been to some USHL camps a little bit, and, you know, we're really just taking care of a lot of things around the office, catching up on some things, having some meetings, and a little bit of planning and whatnot even already for for the upcoming season. So it as much as we we wanna be in season all the time, it you know, summer seems to fly by, but it's pretty important sometimes to to get a little organized on things. Oh, I'm I'm sure. And there's so much going on with, like, the recruiting landscape. I could only imagine. But, Craig Oh, yeah. Hear hear you correctly that you've been going to, like, shit, like, you you've been on recruiting trips? Or Yeah. You know, with our staff, you know, some of our staff have been to a few more than I have, but, you know, a few US USHL camps we've we've gone to, you know, checking on some kids. There's always somewhere to go, somebody to go see. So especially like you mentioned in the landscape now, there's there's more kids, there's more teams that's, you know, the that's that's even bigger than it used to be. Yeah. So so you're oh, sorry, James. Just I just want to Yeah. Go ahead. So but just so I'm clear, this this is obviously not for this upcoming season. It would be the following year. Right? So it'd be for '27, '28. Yeah. And and future. Yeah. And future and beyond.
Jamie: Got it.
Scott: So, like, that's also interesting. I didn't even think about that, James, and I know we'll get back to your question, but, like, for as foolish as this might sound, like when I think, when I talk to coaches and like, yeah, we're, you know, recruiting, I'm always just thinking you're recruiting, you know, like, just the next season, right, like that's what's coming up next, but clearly you're wow. Yeah, it does, there's no shortage of things for you to do. No. No. Especially for us, you know, in the Ivy schools where we're we're we're looking for the hockey player. Right? Don't get me wrong, but that that those players gotta come with a certain set of grades on their transcript for us. And the sooner we we know whether they're gonna be a student or not, it helps us keep track of them down through junior and senior year, and obviously future into junior hockey and whatnot.
Jamie: Scott and I were just talking about that, Sean, we were just talking about the Ivies and how you guys, like you just said, you don't just have to recruit a hockey player, you have to recruit a student too, like a good student, somebody that's willing to, you know, to take on some of those academics. We were kind of joking about Gavin McKenna taking a fly tying course at Penn State. Right? Just kind of like tin passing. You know, I'm assuming you guys don't have fly tying at Cornell.
Scott: I haven't found that one yet. No. I'd try and teach it if I could, but
Jamie: no, I
Scott: haven't found
Jamie: that one.
Scott: That's right. You a fisherman? I like to. Yeah. Oh, nice. Good for you.
Jamie: See, so you could start that class up.
Scott: Should.
Jamie: I'm not sure the academic committee will want to actually put that in the curriculum.
Scott: No, that probably will apply. Right. No pun I
Jamie: have a quick yeah, exactly. I have was good, Scott. Have a a quick interesting kind of like thing that I've noticed about you Cornell boys. So what exactly is it about Cornell? Because if I'm not mistaken, Ben Sayer did ten years there too. And I'm pretty sure that you're going on, like, your eleventh season there at Cornell. Is it something in the water up there that you guys just do long stints at Cornell, or is it so good you just don't wanna leave?
Scott: I think you just kinda hit it at the the last few words you said. It's a great place to be. Like, we're, you know, Benny came from building Quinnipiac. He came to Cornell and kept it rolling here, I got to learn a lot, a ton from him, you know, day to day over the eight years we were together. And I think he was here maybe thirteen, even more than I've been here now. And, you know, some of what what we've had our success the last few years here is is still you know, his fingerprints is still all over it. You know? But it is it's a great place. Like, you know, our kids come to they wanna play hockey at Cornell. They wanna play at Liner Rink. It's loud. It's it's incredible. Every Friday, Saturday, we're home, and it's just got a huge tradition throughout the years. And, obviously, the school speaks for itself, but the the hockey tradition and being able to recruit the the high end hockey player, you know, whether or draft picks or, you know, Sam Walensky type that, you know, we were fortunate to have, and Benny was a big part of that. And it's it attracts hockey players, but it also attracts students. And when you get those two things together, they're easy to coach. Right. You know, they're they're motivated. We're not having to tell kids what to do six, seven different times, given one or two directions and guidelines. And the ones that are motivated, they take care of it. And those are the guys that had success on the ice or the guys that had success off the ice. And and where you say it's it's all so nice, you don't wanna leave it because once you get going, you know, it works. And, obviously, Shaif was here thirty years and then some, you know, it works. Right? And kids are attracted to that. And, you know, there's a lot of other places that, you know, are great, but for what we have here, it's it's the player, the kid, the family that chooses to come here. It's it's it's a great combination, you know, unbelievable fit, and it's just fun to coach. Right. You know, we were we were talking before. Boy, my short term memory is not firing right now. We were I don't know if we were recording or not. I think we've only been recording for five minutes, but in any event, we're or if you were even on the line at this yet, but we're talking about Are
Jamie: you gonna ask what I think you're gonna ask?
Scott: No, probably not. Okay. Maybe. I don't know. But just like, you know, Cornell having won so many ECAC championships, like, over the years, You know, in terms of, like, why you know, like, I get it how some schools are just, like, perhaps more, like, athletically inclined, if you will, or just have, a bigger part of that fabric. But, like, are there any things in particular that you would kind of, like, call out that Cornell's got going for in terms of, like, hockey or maybe athletics broadly as to why you've just been, like, you know, one of the more dominant schools in the ECAC? Do. Like, it's it's the rink. It's the atmosphere. I mean, it is incredible. Like Yeah. So and I went to Saint Lawrence. Right? And Yeah. Played here four four times in my college career and still remember it as a player. It was awesome Wow. Playing here. Even though you go in an opposing team's rink and sometimes you hate it, and it sucks, or it's hard, but you always enjoy it. You know it's gonna be hard. It'll be a battle, but it was always fun to play here. And we even hear that, you know, in recruiting and stuff, and that's why why kids are here when they come on visits and they well, they see the Harvard game or any home game that's you know, they've been in other visits, but they they, you I wanna play in front of that. And that's that's that's what we got. I mean, you can't can't beat that. And I think just a tradition that speaks for itself, just the the variety of different players that come through here. And throughout the years, there's you know, we we always show the ability to win.
Jamie: Yeah. Wow. Have a question off of that, Sean. So number one, what's with the newspapers in the stands and what is a Big Red? Scott and I were talking before you got on.
Scott: Yeah. No mascot. Where'd the bear come from? The well, Touchdown the Bear has been retie the Bear logo. Touchdown the Bear's mascot's still around, but the our the logo isn't really there anymore with the bear, but Right. That's just that was just there. That was kinda touched down the the football logo throughout I don't know when that started, honestly. Gotcha. The newspapers, I I don't know even know the exact year. That started that's probably bad on me, but I they did it when I was a player. They still do it. It's just a little bit of data. They don't fans don't care. It's the line of faithful. They care about us, and then, you know, they still do it. And it's funny. I get one of rings people ask, hey. They still do it. I'm like, yeah. They still do it. I never stopped.
Jamie: About the newspapers to our listeners.
Scott: Gonna ask.
Jamie: I don't think Scott knows what it is. I definitely don't.
Scott: So whenever whenever the, you know, opposing team is standing at the goal line getting ready to announce the starting lineup. The whole rink pulls out newspapers and, you know, shakes the newspapers. And then when they're done, they act like they act like they're reading them, and they chuck them on the ice. And our rent crew's gotta pick them all up. That's so funny.
Jamie: Like you said, it's a it's a very impressive environment.
Scott: That's what I They
Jamie: did it at the ECAC when so, Sean, I was at the ECAC two years ago when you guys beat St. Lawrence in the final. And that's the first time I noticed the newspaper, Scott, because the fans brought them to Lake Placid.
Scott: Oh, was that's
Jamie: really crap. I'm like, what is the deal with this? Then I looked it up and that's exactly what I found out. Please subscribe.
Scott: That is so funny. It's the line of faithful. Impressive. Very impressive. So so sorry. So Cornell, you know, obviously had a tough end to this season, you know, but obviously looking forward to you guys coming back strong. Wanted to before we talk more about that, just to kind of dive into your playing career. You know, like, obviously, this is Crazy Hockey Dads, and so it's always interesting to hear what it was like for people that achieved high you know, a success in in the game of ice hockey, like, what it was like for them as a kid. You know, you're you've gone on to coach and, you know, it'd just be interesting to hear more about, like, what it was like for you to to go through it either, you know, with tough coaches, coach's parent, you know, or tough parents and any of the above. Yeah. No. And it it's funny recalling, you know, our the the time we did this before up in Lake Placid, and and I was saying we were gonna talk about it again. And I'm just recalling everything I said because it's a neat question to be able to answer because, like, it makes you think back. Right? And that's kinda what I think hockey's all about. It's through family. You know, my my dad was coached me and my brother on our teams, and my buddy's dad's coached us. I grew up in a small town in Canton, New York right where Saint Lawrence is. You know? I had an uncle that coached the men's team at Saint Lawrence as an assistant, took over the women's team, p PJ. And, you know, my other uncle Mark Taylor is still the head coach at Hobart. I saw your hat right there. I love it. And, certainly, what he's he's doing and is incredible, and I can't believe they didn't get that fourth one this year. Was there.
Jamie: Was there. Sean, I was there.
Scott: I was there, and my other buddy who used to coach for him told me I was the reason, because it was the only one I've been able to make, and they lost, Oh, so
Jamie: Oh, you were there too? I didn't realize that. I went
Scott: ahead had a drink
Jamie: with him.
Scott: Yeah. So I guess I gotta not go next year when he when he does make it again. So Yeah. Yeah. But, anyway, like, I, you know, grew up in the hockey family. We just you know, where I was from, was a small town. We played hockey together, played, you know, lacrosse together, every sport imaginable together, and we're just just young athletes in in our town. And, you know, it was just fun. You know? And then from there, played high school hockey, went over to play junior b in there before playing for the Cornwall Colts, the CCHL. Did three years of that. So twelfth grade my senior year and then two years after, and then went to Saint Lawrence. And, obviously, growing up in that small town, it was really all I knew. Wanted to do that and was fortunate to get the opportunity with Joe and Wellesley and Bobby. Hurley, to be able to do that was was incredible. My brother and I got to play together for for a year, be at school together for two and play together, you know, for a year. So I was I was pretty darn cool to be able to do that with him. He was way better. He was an all American, Hobie finalist and and all that. But, you know, it was it was it was incredible to be able to do that. Wow. So, I mean, but just as you're, like, describing it, it just seems like the path seemed pretty smooth. Just like, you know, in terms of, like, a small town, there wasn't a lot of, like, maybe, like, outside noise. Perhaps there weren't, like, a lot of different clubs to choose from. You had, you know, parent, you know, family, and that was coaching because so you kinda stuck the path of what was what was right there. I'm I'm wondering in terms of, like, you know, the fact that you're, you know, there's hockey and like your family's DNA, like, there a lot of pressure on you kids to like, you know, to practice or do more or achieve like certain things at certain times? Or is just like, you know, day at a time? Not just a day at a time. There there was no pressure, not not from an uncle, not even from my dad. And my other one uncle helped coach high school a little bit too. And there was never any pressure. There's certainly guidance. No doubt. You know, easy guidance and, recommendations of certain stages of hockey and decisions, but never any pressure to do anything. Never any pressure to do this versus play lacrosse or something like that. Right. I think that's why, you know, there still is a lot of athletes that come up come out of Northern North Country. It's smaller, but and it's changed throughout the years. Don't get me wrong. It's very different. But, it's just we played all these sports. We had a little bit of rest here and there from a sport, and I think that's a little bit of what's missing these days is there's a ton of pressure to go twelve months a year, which I think is ridiculous. I love hearing kids that are playing different sports once in a while, summer when they're 14, 15, 16, each heck, even even 17. Like I say, there's no pressure. They get get away from the game, and they don't they don't lose the the fun of it. You know? I just think this game's fun. You watch the guys, you know, two weeks ago or a week ago, whenever game six was there when, you know, Carolina won. I mean, you guys are playing for the best trophy in sports. They're having the time of their lives. Like Right. Sure. There's pressure, but, I mean, there's just big kids out there. And the ones that are having the most fun, you watch them, they're they're having the most success. Right.
Jamie: Yeah. So it looks like the coach is having the most fun too.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah. When you get a guy like that behind the bench, it's hard not to play. 100%. Every time they would go to him, like, during, like, you know, when they come back from a commercial and he's got just, the chiseled face and the intense eyes and he's chewing his gum, I'm like, oh my god. This guy is insane. But
Jamie: What about how he keeps ripping his shirt off to hold the cup up? I mean, every time I see him on Instagram, he's got his shirt off holding the cup up.
Scott: They're probably precut at this
Jamie: time. Maybe.
Scott: Anyway, so I but I wanted to ask like alright. So so there wasn't a ton of pressure. So it sounds like, you know, it was it was just like another day in the life of in a great way. At what point did like was there a point where you realized like your potential or like how far you might be able to take this and like, did you start putting more pressure on yourself to kind of or did you ever, you know, I guess when you were thinking like, going d one or, like, what however it was like for you as you started getting older? Yeah. I I think I did put a lot more pressure. I think I put more pressure on myself than my my brother, you know, to compare. And
Jamie: I I
Scott: think if I do it again, I I wouldn't put as much pressure on myself personally. I would try to keep a little bit more of the fun, like, hey. You're here because you've enjoyed it so much. It's it's you're 19, you're 20, you're in college. This this should be even more fun. And I think I put a little bit too much pressure on myself, and I went through some injury stuff too, which I didn't probably handle the the right way looking back on it. But it's funny you asked that question because I I know I put too much personal pressure and shouldn't have been there. Should've just kept kept going and enjoying every every day and working hard at it, not really caring about the outcome piece of it so much. Right. Nobody did it to me other than myself and probably cared a little bit too much on it.
Jamie: I'm curious, Sean. So with that being said, when you talk to kids, what do you say to the kids you're recruiting who you notice that are putting a ton of pressure on themselves? What do you say to those kids that you notice that they're putting a truckload of pressure on themselves?
Scott: Yeah. And try to bring it up and say, this is supposed to be fun. I tell them our best players, even the best players that I've been able to coach in college are are the ones that did have the most fun Monday to Thursday that had the most fun in the gym, worked the hardest, and still left with a smile even on bad days. You know? Made jokes about themselves like, boy, am I having a I'm having a bad day out here today. I'm like, yeah. But just stay with it. You know? Right. You know, you're into it. You just have a rough go. But, you know, those are the guys that can, you know, just recover from from a mistake. Right? You use that the what's that? Ted Lasso. Right? Goldfish. Like, Jones.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: Forget it quickly. It's so corny, but it's true. If you're going to dwell on things, you're not going to recover at all. I think that's something we talk about to kids is even if they're young kids visiting or if they're out of high school and they're visiting, our guys have the most fun here, and they have the most fun when they leave. So
Jamie: Yeah. What do you guys do to keep it that way? As a coaching staff, are there things that you guys do to kinda keep it that way?
Scott: Yeah. I mean, we we start our year with, you know, a real close trip, a team trip. Started a weekend to make sure guys are getting to know each other, you know, away from the rink before everything obviously comes together on the ice. Right? But I think we do a lot of culture pieces to it where where guys are able to just, you know, talk, get to know each other because, obviously, they're here to play hockey, and and we're here to win and develop. But the best teams I've been around are the guys that are the closest to push each other, hold each other, you know, accountable to do things the right way. Some of that's just it's not hockey related. It's just personality and getting to know each other and who people really are, who they are and why they maybe are, what they do and how they are, what they're made of, and that sort of thing. And then just getting to know the kids on the team, getting to know the team is one of the biggest parts of it. Yeah. So, you know, in terms of, you know, having a like high character kids is obviously like an important piece in all this. I think you alluded to that in the beginning where like, you know, you're obviously getting motivated kids, which doesn't necessarily speak to character character per se. But I'm I'm kind of curious about like the evaluation process, like when you're looking at recruits. Clearly, there's the on ice piece, but then like, you know, a little bit of the off ice piece. Like, I'm assuming that there's a good amount of stock that's placed in like, you know, what, you know, from the interviews kind of like when you're talking to potential recruits, like, is this person a good fit, like, an off ice perspective? And what's that like? Like, you know, for players that are going through it? Are you asking, like, direct questions? Is it something that, like, you're just kind of observing and getting a feel while they're on, like, visits? Yes. All of the above. All all of it? Yeah. Yeah. I mean, you know, we're obviously watching, you know, the on ice evaluation piece. Right? You know, whether they can the things that we feel they need to have to to be a part of our our program from a a hockey standpoint. Right? But I still think some of the biggest deciding factors of things, like some kids can have all the talent and ratings and all that, but I think it all still comes down to the type of kid they are, like just what kind of kid, you know, they they are. Like, what are they made of? And you're really gonna peel back the onion a lot on that sometimes. Sometimes a kid comes across and he's oozing what you're looking for. Right? Other times you got to peel it back a little more, make a few more calls from previous coaches, find people who maybe known them who's a hockey guy or just try to figure it out. I think, yes, a visit's huge. The more time you can spend around them, the better. Is there a comfort level? Do they biggest thing is how do they treat their mom or their dad when they're on a visit, who does the talking, who's asking the questions. A lot of that's a big piece of putting it all together. I go back to it. It's not all the time the talent piece of it. It's it's it's it's the family piece of it. It's, you know, it's it's the kid piece of it. Right. Yeah. And so, like, kind of falling on that same thread, What as far from, like, a parent's perspective or not from a parent's perspective, do you believe that there's any, like, reoccurring misconceptions that, like, parents have about, like, what coaches value? Probably. I mean, they probably think it's just points. Yeah. They probably do. I mean, yes, points is a big thing. Don't get me wrong. Doesn't tell the whole story, though. It really doesn't. You know? There's certain pieces to a team that need to go into play, and sometimes the most valuable piece of a team that's a winning championship program sometimes isn't always the top point guy, whether it's a forward D or even a goalie. It's some guys in between that maybe hold it all together that nobody would have thought would have played on that type of team, but they fit. I I think it just just comes down to that that fit piece too, and I don't think a lot of people, you know, in the stands maybe see that at the times. They see the flashiness. Right?
Jamie: But Right.
Scott: Some of that peeling back the onion I call it is finding the right type of kid and the right type of fit for certain programs.
Jamie: So I'm curious, going back to what you said about who does the most talking and how they talk to their parent, What are some red flags? And I think we actually touched on this up in Lake Placid. What are the things that you see that parents do on whether the parents are in the stands and you're watching their kid in the stands or parents that come on the recruiting trip, what are some red flags that you've seen that you've seen from some parents of kids that you're recruiting?
Scott: Yeah. I mean, everyone can see the one in the in the stands type type thing, you know? But, it differs a little bit, I guess, with how old the kid is. Is he just say a twenty ten this year after January 1 that comes on your campus or something? As a young kid, he may not talk as much as a parent at times in terms of the question because it's young, right? Yeah. The older they get, I think you'd probably like to have the kid do a little bit more of the talking and engaging. But I definitely like when the kid is more engaged in answering certain questions. You know, you can kinda tell when a kid's taking it all in, or you can kinda tell when a kid maybe doesn't like something they're seeing. Mhmm. But I I definitely don't we don't like when a parent dominates the visit, you know, where it seems like maybe they're the one on the visits. Like, we're recruiting your kid to be here. We want to talk to him. Want to hear what his questions are, and it's refreshing when a parent sometimes steps back or kind of looks at their kid and is like, I'm not answering it. They've asked you. It's refreshing. Think parents are a big part of it, and especially for us in the Ivy, it's a family investment no matter where they go. It's an investment piece of it. So the parents are a huge piece of it. It's a family decision to come here. They're all a part of it, but certainly, families are together, you get a pretty good feel for things, whether it's maybe the right fit or maybe the wrong fit, but it's something we we really like to do.
Jamie: What's, like, the biggest red flag you've seen, Sean, from a parent that you were like, woah? Like
Scott: Like a story?
Jamie: Cross off? Yeah.
Scott: When they just start talking negative about other teammates or coaches or other people, like, it's just like, we're we didn't wanna go there, but you went there. This is this is weird, like, that we're here about you, and we don't need to talk about everybody else.
Jamie: That's yeah.
Scott: That's actually
Jamie: yeah. That was pretty bad.
Scott: Yeah. But so so one of the things that has also come up this weekend is in Jamie, I won't take your story, but in terms of, like, you know, getting getting seen, if you're
Jamie: a player, you could tell
Scott: them what
Jamie: happened to me.
Scott: You
Jamie: could you could tell my story.
Scott: No worries. Well, no. I mean, you whatever is Dominic's had, like, a showcase this weekend where there's, you know, I think there's college and, like, prep school, you know, people there. I don't know, like scouts and whoever else. But but my question is in terms of like being seen at like, you know, various events like, you know, around the country, Is that something that, like, during this time of year, like, Cornell specifically, is are you you're going to showcases? And you mentioned the like, a USA showcase, but are you going to other ones that might be put up by, you know, I don't know, private companies or We have. Yeah. We have here and there. You know, I think you could probably go somewhere every every weekend if if you wanted to. Right. You know? But it is summer. Right? So it's not call it I don't call it real hockey. I mean, you can see kids play. You can evaluate evaluate certain things, but nobody's playing on their real team. You know? No one's really playing for a championship or things like that. It might be a tournament. Right? But you're not playing with your buddies from September to April. Right? It's it's different. So you can go and identify certain certain players, but it's not again, it's not real hockey. But, yes, we go to certain things. You know, people invite us too. We'll go to some here and there, but we don't don't go all over the place. Colleges have their certain prospect camps and invite some kids in. It's a different way of recruiting. We do that too. It's just another way, another tool and whatnot to see kids who maybe have interest that you didn't really know of that wanna come to
Jamie: your Right.
Scott: You know, your campus for a couple days. Sure. That's nice to do. But certainly, like I say, you know, it's not real hockey, but you can go see you can see kids and identify some kids. Right.
Jamie: That's interesting, Sean. So so I'll I'll expand upon that a little bit because I wanna I wanna ask you a question about it. So so so Dominic is at I'm in a hotel right now, if you could tell.
Scott: I'm in the
Jamie: lobby of a hotel. So we went it's funny. I was telling was kind of joking with Scott earlier. I got we got an email from from like, you know, Sacred Heart, like the pioneer experience of Sacred Heart. Right? And I Sean, I swear to God, I thought it was hockey camp. Like, I thought he was gonna be like all there, like all day. And last night I happened to look up like what exactly I paid for and what I was bringing him to. And I'm like, oh shit. I'm like, there's prep school coaches and like a bunch of colleges are here. I don't think you guys weren't on the list. But I'm like, oh shit. I'm like, this is like a showcase. So here's my question. So Dominic's in 2012, my son. So there's twelves and elevens together. And then there's tens through o sixes. Okay. So my question is, is at what point at what age do you guys actually start paying attention to kids? Obviously, you're I'm assuming you don't go to mic games and go, oh, wow. That kid's gonna be really good when he's 16. Right? So at what age do you guys start paying attention?
Scott: Like, right now, probably, we're getting some names of 2,000. You know? We can't talk to them. Right? But the, you know, tag in the system for for the future when that January 1 of grade 10, when they get to fifteens, you really start watching them. That's really those are the names we're getting younger than that. No. We don't really pay attention to that. Like I say, barely paying attention to elevens and not watching it, other than they can come to a camp or see them at a camp, but mainly just talking to 20 that are of age from January 1 on starting that. That's the focus now, 10s, 9s, 8s, obviously all the older kids that are in junior hockey.
Jamie: So you can talk to kids that are sophomores in high school essentially right now, right?
Scott: That's when
Jamie: you can start talking.
Scott: So basically a normal twenty ten on January 1, if they're in tenth grade, you can start talking to them.
Jamie: Okay. So that's how it works. Yep. Gotcha.
Scott: That's that's all interesting. So in terms of the your process and like identifying players, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm just thinking through like, you know, obviously each each program, you know, there's in terms of like you have to maybe you don't have to, but what am I trying to say? Like, there's got to be some sense of like pragmatism, like, you know, about who you're going to go after and who you're going to talk to, you know, and if it's gonna vary from school to school, how how like, the names that you're starting to get, like, are they just referrals from people that have been, like, in your network that know the kind of, like, player you're looking for? Like, how does that even, like how do you even start putting, like, you know, certain names on the list? Like like, what boxes are they checking? Yeah. I mean, you know, with between advisers and things like that, you you do get a lot of names set your way. Hey. This this kid's a real good player. Obviously, most people know the grades that it that it does take to to get into, you know, an Ivy school and and Cornell. You know? And for us, it's it's going out the gate. It's going to, you know, do our own work too, right, with with our own eyes, you know, seeing what we see, hearing what we hear, put putting it all together. But definitely, you know, this game's a huge huge part of it is the relationship piece, you know, through through coaches and midget teams, prep teams, junior teams. You know? Hey. I think this guy's a great fit. Once you've had a kid maybe come from their program, go to you, have success, you know, another kid does, like, hey. You know? Well, who else you got? Like Right. This seems to be working. Right. This is a this is a path that that's worked now for a couple. Like, let's let's keep going back here until something breaks. That that's a huge, huge piece of it because as much as, you know, we're adding coaches, right, to a point, you still can't cover everything with You own just can't. The birth years and leagues, no. You can't. So even with the video, it's you see more, but you just you can't cover everything, and you gotta rely on, you know, recommendations and, you know, follow-up. Like I said, a lot of a lot of calls, tons of calls, you know, do whatever you can to see who who might have seen him or who knows the kid, who knows the family.
Jamie: Right. Yeah.
Scott: So do you have, like, like, is there, like, any kind of, like, rule of thumb, like, for if if you wanted to, I don't know, recruit six players, do you have, like, an idea, like, how many conversations you need to have to land on six players that are gonna be, like, viable candidates? Too many to probably. Many. Like, a ton. Like, a lot. You know, a lot. Right? And everyone's got a different process to it of, you know, hey. I see this kid. I've decided real quick we want him, and it all works, grades, finances, you know, the background, you know, calls, research, all that. Sometimes it takes longer. Sometimes it starts, it pauses, then it picks up, you know, a year later. I think that's the the the neat thing about hockey is there's just so many different timelines and development paths for kids. I just I don't think it's like any other any other sport. Never coached or recruited another sport, but I I I just don't think it's I don't think it's like any other sports in terms of the recruiting process. It's just a totally different which makes it fun. Right? But it's yeah. I really don't even wanna guess how many how many calls or That's unbelievable. We we gotta make to to, you know, get our class or whoever it ends up being whoever ends up actually coming in, like, it all unfolded. And if you were to go back and rerun it all, you'd be like, holy smokes. That was a lot. A large number. Yeah. Yeah.
Jamie: Do you have one story of like so you have obviously been recruiting for a long time. You've obviously so you started at Hobart and then you kind of, you know, made your way to Cornell. So you've been doing this for a long time. Do you have a story of a kid that you were recruiting that you just didn't think was gonna work out, like, all of a sudden then it did or vice versa? Thought a kid was, a 100% coming and then it kind of fell by the wayside. Can you think of anything off top of your head?
Scott: I mean, yeah, I could think of a bunch really that fit into fit into that.
Jamie: Or what's the craziest recruiting story that you have? Not to put you on the spot, but No.
Scott: A little bit. Like, there there's so many. I'm trying to think of, like, a good one, a funny one. You know, I I will I will put I'll put one out there. It actually, shockingly enough, it involves Ben. Sent me on a trip he sent me on a he sent me on a trip one time to go watch a kid, and the kid wasn't very good, unfortunately. And I joked with him, does he know I'm here? He's like, no, doesn't know you're here. I'm like, okay. I'm like, oh, thank goodness the kid didn't know was here. He wasn't good. We avoided knowing you're there. It's one of those that happens. We had gotten a name and all that. We were we were joking that he was mad at me and sent me out somewhere. But, you know, the best part of that is the next next kid he he told me to go watch, and it was all him as Sam Malinski. I mean, it was the same trip. He the next place he sent me to go see was to go watch that kid. And, you know, he did the legwork on that, but that transpired pretty well for that kid.
Jamie: Yes. Wow. Interesting.
Scott: That's so funny. I can only imagine how many times that happens where, like, both either don't don't meet or or exceed expectations. I bet the and that's also another thing, like, you know, like, from just a recruiting perspective that, like, people are looking for different things or, things that are more important to you might not be as important to the next guy. I mean, obviously, there's a baseline for it all, but the whole process is just wow. It seems tireless and endless, and it's it's unbelievable. Just thinking about this makes me really
Jamie: And I'm excited
Scott: about for what you guys have to do. Yeah. No. And then, you know, you got me thinking Like, there's there's the ones where you're like, oh, I knew that kid was gonna be good, and we got him. Right? And then there's the one where, like, oh, I don't
Jamie: know if that kid's gonna be good.
Scott: I'm gonna wait and hesitate. And they're like, oh, man. Like, should've all to a stud? It should've went in my gut on that one. You know? But the it's legalized gambling. Like, it's Yeah. Don't know. You you know? And that's that's the fun part of it, the chase part of it. And, you know, when you get them get them right and the kids succeed, it's incredible. And, you know, that's why why it's a fun job. Well, let let me ask, like, this part, like, and and just thinking about how, you know, going, like, flipping over to the NHL for a second, you know, two names, like, had Keandre Miller that came from the Rangers. Right? And, like, ended up winning a cup, you know, became much much more consistent player when he was down in Carolina. Right? You had, who else? Taylor Hall, another one that was like getting scratched from from Chicago. You had what? And then also from Chicago. Yeah. And yeah. Right. Seth Jones. So, like, you have these players that, like, aren't performing under certain conditions. Right? But then they go to another team. Is there anything that, you know, are are you thinking about that as well when you're looking at players kind of like what our systems are and like how that person is gonna fit in those systems? I'm assuming it is, but just curious if, you know, what it's like for you. Yeah. 100%. I mean, there there are certain kids you're like, you know, I like this kid, but
Jamie: I don't I don't know if he would survive. I don't know
Scott: if he would really fit with us. Right? Right. You know, and they go somewhere else. They have success, which is fine. And then, you know, there's some kids that have success with us that people thought, well, how'd how'd you get that out of that kid? I didn't see that coming. It's like, well, he just fit. He's our type of player. He got better. He worked. Like, he he fit into the culture piece, and, you know, he worked at it. So it's funny where you mentioned those guys, the pros, the best of the best. You know they're talented. Right? But getting in the right environment sometimes to change the scenery just does it for guys. It happens in college and obviously happens in pros and trades and all that all the time, and their cap and the money is so many factors into it. Yes, it was what you're thinking about with those guys is the same as college. That kid that might fit here just doesn't fit there. He didn't fit there and he goes to this place. You're like, What happened? Well, he just fit better.
Jamie: Yeah. For I'm curious, Sean, what do you think of this new five for five rule? Since we're talking about recruiting and timelines, what do you think of the new five for five rule that's coming out with the NCAA?
Scott: You know, thank goodness they they tweaked it and went back with, like, hockey's proposed. Right? Because I think everyone was in panic mode. Oh, yeah. Because I think it would have crushed crushed hockey if it stayed that way. But I think what what we've got now is fine. You know? Know, some late birthday kids may benefit from it depending how they they finalize and tweak it. I don't think you'll see many of the 21 year old freshmen, which which is fine. You know, I think most kids should be going in by 20 and graduating by 23 and 24 anyway. Right. So I'm okay with it. I I think we all know it now. We can all plan for it, and I think it's it's the best case scenario for hockey. So moving forward, we're we're happy with it. You know? I mean, talking with Casey was a big proponent of this too and making sure we were able to do this, and our commissioner at Doug was a was a huge huge part and doing a ton of background work and and legwork on it too. So the community kinda really got together for this one and pushed it, and thankfully They
Jamie: kind of went to war over it.
Scott: Went to war, right? It's something it's a good thing we had enough people that cared to really push forward for it, because I think it's going to help college in general. That's what they all wanted, right? Football, basketball, we know that, and they're getting what they want out of that. We're also keeping our sport on the right trajectory and paths open for kids.
Jamie: So I'm curious. So keeping with that same topic, so you used to have the kid who graduated, who maybe did like a reclass here in eighth grade or like a post grad or something like that at a high school. And then went to play, let's say two years of juniors. Okay. So that kid now can't do that because that kid, if he does that, the two years of juniors, he'll only have three years of eligibility in college. Right? Yeah. Would you guys take a kid for three years?
Scott: You may. You it's harder, you know, especially at a school like ours to to kinda make up those certain certain classes to do in three. It's been done. It can you guys could do it. Right. I think it's just a little harder plan planning wise and whatnot. Mhmm. But I I think now you'll I don't know if you'll see as many kids forcefully repeat. I could be wrong. But
Jamie: They'll probably come out of high school a year early and start playing
Scott: juniors They may may get going early to play play juniors early. I think you'll see a few different tweaks there. But for the most part, the normalcy, you can stay as you are and still get your five, or you play two and you get four. Four years is enough for college hockey or even college sports, but the fifth is built in, of course, the injuries or any other random things that can obviously occur and whatnot, but I think it's the best case scenario where everything's at.
Jamie: Do you think it hurts the late bloomer? Say you do the two junior years to play four, you obviously have to come out of year early of high school. Do you think the late bloomer is kind of hurt in this
Scott: No. Kind of I think they coulda I don't want to quote it because I'm not writing it. I don't know when they're actually coming out with the fine print, but it could, depending on how they call that nineteenth birthday, like the following academic year. That kid could benefit in the long run. We'll see how they twist the verbiage on that.
Jamie: Right.
Scott: But that kid could actually benefit here, but you know, I still think those kids turn out just fine once they catch up at a you know, 19, 20. Like, we've had a ton of them on our team being late birthdays and kind of a little niche we got, but it it it works. But those kids find their way, and I think this rule actually will be okay for that.
Jamie: Cool. Awesome.
Scott: Yeah. So so, you know, just speaking about, like, you know, the the change or not not necessarily the change in, like, the development paths, but like just thinking about, like, you know, how families are thinking about their their steps down down the way in terms of like, you know, where you're looking or coming across players in terms of like, you know, kind of those feeding pools. Are there like, you're looking a lot of kids that are playing like junior, like, you're looking a lot of kids that are playing like midgets, like, where where like, kind of where are the different, like, touch points for you in terms of, like, looking for for, like, recruits? Yeah. We're it's it's everywhere. You know? Through It's everywhere. Yeah. Through you know, we did hockey, prep hockey, you know, all the top junior leagues that we already we're recruiting, you know, USHL, NAHL, you know, obviously, OQ and Dubber now now in play now too. It also. Yeah. You know, it's just, like I say, we can recruit younger kids because we need transcripts, and some kids, you know, identify early that we know we we're to step up with. You know? And then there's obviously the kids that now you know, some kids do wanna wait longer with a longer runway, which is which is fine. Everyone's different. Yeah. You know? So it's it's a lot to cover, but it's again, it's great because there's there's more more players for us selfishly, of course, you know, to be able to work through. But I think at the end of the day, it is it is beneficial where college hockey is getting getting a lot of a lot of really good hockey players, we always did. And we're getting a few more, you know, each year coming from, you know, those leagues, whether US or Canada, their kids are are playing in those leagues now too. So Yeah. And one of the things that I remember we talked about a little bit, when we were in like Placid, but part of what also struck me just thinking more critically about just like a collegiate hockey experience or sports experience for that matter is that like at some point, like, you've got kids walking in the door that probably are determined that I'm gonna go on to play whatever the next level of hockey is. But then there's gotta be points along people's paths where they're just like, you know what? Actually, maybe that's not what I'm gonna do. What's it like from a coach's perspective to help, you know, like balancing or not balancing necessarily, but like helping kids, you know, like figure out their next steps, like after college and like if someone decides I'm not gonna play hockey after college. Right? Like, do you have challenges keeping them motivated during the season if they've, like, the like, you know, it's kinda flipped their switch you know, switches flipped, and they're just like, you know what? I'm I'm not gonna do this for the
Jamie: rest of my life.
Scott: No. And and I think that's the neat part about where where we are is the kids stay motivated hockey wise because we're always in the hunt championship wise every year, and we've always had guys that elevate from within from one year to the next. You know? So there's never you know and to a point, maybe certain guys know, alright. You know, I'm probably not I might not be beating these guys out, but they're still involved in our culture, and they know it's a piece to have everybody show up every single day. And the other piece to that is they're they're here for their education too and and the best of both worlds. You know, being being here as a student athlete is something that, you know, if hockey's not working out and and professionally after college, then they've been a part of a a program, you know, a winning program, a recognized program. And, you know, you guys know in the workforce too is, you know, if you're part of those programs, you get a little bit of a nod. Right? You're part of these you're a student athlete at a high school and program. You made it through and you did all this. Like, it speaks volumes.
Jamie: So switching gears a little bit since you have a four year old that's kind of wheeling around the ice these days. So now you're a hockey dad. Right? So not a hockey coach, but also a hockey dad. So, so I know you're not too heavily into it yet because she's still young and your little guys even younger. But what would you say are the mistakes that you see, you know, hockey parents, whether it's the mom or the dad, because there's some crazy hockey moms too. What would you say are the major mistakes you see youth parents making these days with their kids?
Scott: Just kind of getting into it, like you said, but just hearing and listening from guys that I've worked at, Benny Deshay, Casey too, both his kids pushed her to go. She wanted to go. We threw her out. She loved it. She likes it. There's been days she didn't wanna go, so she didn't force her to go. There's been days she says, I'm going. And then we get ready to go, she says, You're not going. It's like, Okay. But you did say you're going. She's like, oh, yeah. I did. So we go. But, you know, we we've I've kinda let her
Jamie: Drive to get
Scott: she wishes to a point. You know, if she commits to it, we're gonna we're gonna do it, but we're not forcing her to go do something every single day or or making it like that. It's, you know, letting her have her space and her time with it, and I think that keeps the fun of it. But the burnout piece is is probably the biggest word, and that's probably my fear is I don't wanna burn my kids out of a sport, let alone hockey. That's my biggest fear that I think is occurring, is burnout of kids at a young age of just the pure fun of it where you know, when they put the pressure on or they feel the parental pressure and they don't they don't want to do it anymore.
Jamie: It comes to job. Do you come up the two young?
Scott: Oh, sorry.
Jamie: Go ahead.
Scott: Yeah. Kids are too young. Yeah. Yeah. There's there's some, you know, like without like any specific stories, but like you hear hear them all the time of like parents that are just going so far above and beyond what is even seeming reasonable just for their kid to get more like and it's usually with high end stuff. Right? Like traveling all over the place to get to, like, tournament team or or this tryout or it's just like an unreal. There was there were stories, not story. I mean, there are stories, but it's also real that, you know, here in New Jersey, there we know of at least one player that was like my son's birth year that like they lived in Jersey, but their primary team was in Massachusetts, in Northern Massachusetts. So like they would train they would train at a rink like, you know, however many days a week, do online school. And then just like as I don't know, there was, like, fourth and fifth grade, like, traveling to Mass, you know, like, this is not unheard of, you know, and it's just it's wild. Yeah. And I guess, like, again, where I grew up, it's a small town and you had a Right. You know? So it's hard for me to imagine that, that's where probably my facial expression wasn't great there. It's hard for me to imagine that. Right? It just is. You had fields, you played right there. You had ice, you played right there. You had people coaching, had it right there. And I think that's part of the problem in the burnout is you gotta go run here, you gotta run there, you're afraid FOMO, you're afraid you're gonna miss something. And you're not, especially at that age. That's my my biggest fear, like you said, about, you know, what I what do I see is the burnout piece of, you know, forcing a kid to have to go here. And they're like, how are supposed to be a kid when you're going from here to there all the time? Like, you're spending more time in the car than you need. And I go back to myself when I was, you know, 17. I spent more time in the car playing too much hockey and kinda two two teams at once. And if I look back now, I would never ever ever do that again. And, you know, let alone with young, you know, ten, eleven, 12 kids are are doing some of that. I just I think it's too much. I think they they they need to have fun with it, and I think it takes away the fun. It has to over a certain time. And don't get me wrong. Like, you know, I'm not saying don't work. I'm not saying don't train. I'm not saying any of that. You gotta work hard. You gotta put it put in the time and be committed to it, but I I do think sometimes the distances are are are wild and the expense pieces are are getting crazy, and I I just fear it. I fear that it could price people out of the sport.
Jamie: For sure. It definitely does. There's no question about it. I hockey has a retention problem, right? Definitely doesn't have a registration problem since registrations are all up, but I definitely has a retention problem. I think parents get sick of it. They get sick of the traveling, they get sick of the money, they get sick of everything, they get sick of the stress because there is stress on hockey parents. I know you don't have it yet, Sean, you know, you know, but we've talked to Tapper and Tapper even says, he's like, I know better. He's like, and I feel the stress and same with Connor and Kellen Jones. They've seen it, you know, and their kids are similar age, a little older than your kids. You know, you'll see it's coming, Sean. It's you know, and it makes you second guess what you know is right, you know? You know, so it's it's wild is what it is, you know? So. All right. So you're a proponent of of playing like I'm curious. Your kids play the season. When the season's over, you're to have them put their bags away and go play baseball or basketball or soccer or whatever it is. They're gonna go do something else for that other season.
Scott: I do envision that. Yes. Especially when they're younger. I I would love them to play play a different sport. Put it away. Forget about it. For you know, forget about it, but, like Put it away. Yeah. Hey. Let's let's try something else, be an athlete. I know there's studies on that, and it's not everybody. Some of the best have never played another sport, but all the kids are different. I will be a proponent of that. Hey, all right, hockey's done. Let's go to soccer, go to T ball, or do something different, right? So you kind of get away and you don't get stuck doing the same thing at a young age forever, and I do think that leads to the burnout. Think it leads to the chronic injury type stuff. Not a doctor at all, but I've been around it enough personally and seen enough that I do feel that's a piece of it.
Jamie: Yeah. So I'm curious, how many of the kids on your team, Scott, and then I'll let you take the next one. I'm curious, The kids that are on your roster right now, what percentage of them do you think were multi sport athletes?
Scott: Half for sure. Okay. Yeah. At least Yeah. Yeah. That's you a know, I I go back to it too, like, is probably because I played lacrosse and loved it too, but I we've got a bunch of guys on our team that have played lacrosse. Yeah. I love hearing that recruiting process. So
Jamie: You like the multi you like the athletes when you guys are
Scott: are looking at a kid. Yeah. Yeah. I mean, there's so much value in it. Just the the unfortunate part is is and I don't think anyone ever says I'm not playing another sport because there's no value in it. It's just it also becomes hard because, like, I remember for my son, he was playing in like, would play soccer and he would play other sports. But then, like, as, like, tier one hockey got, like, more demanding, he was, like, less available. And, like, at some point, like, the coaches are like, I need your kid to show up to practice. You know what I mean? And obviously, like, duh. But it's just it all gets too serious at such a young age. And you have to, you know, it it was it was really it was really hard for us to figure some other sports that, like, he could keep on doing, like, you know, during, like, obviously, during hockey season. Spring's a different story, but it's it's super hard. But I wanted to ask about the burnout piece and just ask if, like, in in the Cornell locker room, like, kids have gotten, like, that far. Do you come across kids that, burnout, like, right in front of your eyes? Yeah. You do?
Jamie: Yeah. At the collegiate level.
Scott: Yeah. I think does that look like? And, like, what are some of the root causes if, like, there's anything that in particular that stands out? No. I just think, you know, yeah, Bernal, like, in the sense that they they they've maybe maxed out. They've gotten, like, their their ability. They care. They work, but they've they've kinda got to a level that they're they're not gonna get better. They're not gonna beat those guys out, and there's some guys coming right behind them. They're gonna pass them to a point. And I call that burnout, but it's they got to the point where, like, it's kinda they're they're not at the level they used to be when they were younger. Others kind of caught up and surpassed, and that's maybe a different term than your burnout piece, but the burnout piece for sure does happen when kids are just like, hey. You know, mentally, they can't bring it every day anymore. Right? It's become too much for them, and obviously their play suffers because of that. Yep. So there's there's two different forms, I guess, that maybe I'm talking about there.
Jamie: A mental check out and then maybe the
Scott: physical one. Yeah. You don't know. The kids don't know. It's tough, but again, I think it's a good place for that. Sometimes that does happen, don't get me wrong, doesn't happen a lot. Right. But I've seen it. You know, you get around it long enough, you're gonna see different phases of that. Sure. Yeah, because I could imagine just like even going, like, anytime you jump, right from like from one age group to the next age group or the next skill level, that those jumps have got to be like take, you know, like some there's, you know, people are just like, woah, I didn't think it was going be this hard or like, you know, and maybe they're not up for the challenge. You know, I don't know that that happens at the, you know, for your experiences. But yeah, it's it's it's got to be interesting to see and like have to coach through that because obviously you're all making an investment in each other. So it's, like, the mental performance piece, like, part of, like, the programming at Cornell? Yeah. I mean, we we talk to our kids a lot. Yeah. You know, individually, you know, how they're doing, how they holding up, like, anything we gotta talk about, whether it's school, whether it's personal, try to check-in to see where everybody's at in that regard as much as possible for sure, because it is a big piece. Mental piece is a huge part of how kids are able to perform, whether they're able to keep their studies up, whether they're able to keep their play up. It's a huge piece. All the talent, all the ability to be like, What's going on with this kid? Something's going on. Right.
Jamie: Yeah. It's different. When we were kids, that wasn't a thing. Were just told to kind of suck it up. Right? It wasn't like a thing. It just wasn't a thing. And now everybody has a mental performance coach. Know? Which is yeah. Yeah. So do you guys have one on staff, Sean? Do you guys have, like, a mental performance coach on staff?
Scott: Our our athletics department does. You know, our our players and and any athlete can can use that if if they'd like to for sure. You know? And I do I do think we do a pretty good job of our of touching base with our guys, and and there's certain referrals and things that we've we've had with our guys in the past for that. You know, I I do think a good part of our program is that our guys feel open. They know it they should be able to come and talk to us about the hard things, and, certainly, maybe it takes longer for younger guys or certain guys to do that. I do know over the years, I think we really try to emphasize that a lot, that it's all right, we're not perfect. We gotta be able to hear some things and talk through some hard stuff.
Jamie: Right. Yeah. So I'm curious, what does a Cornell recruit look like? What checks all the boxes?
Scott: You know, if we're going through the five S's here that I've learned through the years a little bit is hockey sense. You know, for us, you gotta have hockey sense. You know, gotta be able to skate. Spirit piece is huge. Spirit compete, whatever you don't wanna call it. You know, skill, gotta be able to certainly make plays to a point. I think the and then the last thing that's always, you know, huge piece is the size. Right? I mean, a guy's bigger, that's great. Love size. With, you know, Big Red, everyone thinks we're always huge. Right? But we've we've certainly mixed in our our small guys over the years too that everybody seems to forget about until they look and like, oh, yeah. That guy was pretty small. He was pretty good.
Jamie: Topher Scott may have a problem with that last s shot.
Scott: Yep. Yep. And, you know, that's where it it it doesn't matter. Right? Or you look at Logan Stankov in there and and Blake, like, you hear about those guys. Right? And, you know, they're dominant. So I think that that last piece is a little bit of an outlier, but, certainly, those guys have have the go. You know, they're they're they got the engines. And I think that's where the spirit piece certainly takes over that, some of that size department. But as you know, big big is nice as long as you can skate and think it and make make some plays too. So
Jamie: Yeah. You can't teach it, can you? No.
Scott: No. But those guys like Stankoven, it also makes me, like, think of Freddie Lundberg also, who's been a bit of a journeyman in the NHL, but just seeing these, like, smaller guys that are just, like, all over the ice, just covering so much ground, like, not afraid to be physical, mixing it up, just being a, like, a pain in the pain in the ass. It's like, you watch those guys Colin Avery? Damn. They got Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: But anyway, so, Sean, we we're getting we're, like, at the hour mark. And, you know, I just wanted to, you know, start wrapping it up because I obviously wanna be respectful of your time and and all that other stuff. But one of the things that I I wanted to do that we did at the the ECAC, although I don't have the same exact questions, we're gonna do some some rapid fire. Yeah. I remember.
Jamie: It was good to bring that back. I like that.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I wanted I wanted to bring that back. Good We should do it more often actually.
Jamie: We should. That's a nice But
Scott: these are these are not the same questions. I don't know what I did with those. Although, I do remember some, I'm just gonna go in a different direction. Alright. So, here we go. Lightning round. Alright. So, most overrated youth hockey trend.
Jamie: Oh, good one. That's a good one.
Scott: I don't know. Gotta play triple a at eight u. Okay. Well done. Well done. That's a good one.
Jamie: Good answer.
Scott: Most underrated skill. Underrated skill. And it doesn't have to be youth hockey, where whatever whatever you think is a yeah. Most least underrated skill would be picking a puck off off the wall. Off the wall. Alright. Alright. So the hardest building in college to play in that you guys play in?
Jamie: You can't say your own.
Scott: No. That's the most fun. Hardest one to go play in. It was pretty hard to play in North Dakota a few years. Okay. It was fun, but it it was pretty hard. Not easy. Alright. Alright. But then that said, what about favorite road rink? In league, it's it's selfishly for us, it's awesome. It's when we play at Harvard, we get so many alums there. It's awesome. Oh, that must be great atmosphere. That's definitely our, you know, probably my favorite, you know, being here is, we get so many alums there. It's awesome. Nice. Alright. Got three more. Best piece of advice for hockey parents? Enjoy the process. Let your kids enjoy. That perfect answer. Be be guidance. Yep. Best piece of advice for a 14 year old player. Now you can bump that up. Make it make it like a six some of that like, some of that's on the verge of a of a Being told. Being recruited. Don't compare yourself to anybody else. Also, that's a great answer too. Okay. If every hockey parent remembered one thing, what should it be? Your kids should, when they're done, say they had a great time playing the game. They had fun. Yeah. Those are great. Especially the comparison thing. A 100%. I think that hits home hard for me.
Jamie: That's a good answer. Yeah. Those are gonna make our Instagram, Sean.
Scott: I'm just
Jamie: telling you right now. They're all gonna make our Instagram because they're really good answers.
Scott: Yeah. You know, compares, you know, somebody got a call. I didn't get a call. Who cares? You know?
Jamie: Yeah. So Yeah. You're gonna be hit on Instagram, Sean, I can tell already.
Scott: Oh, jeez. Alright. What about so we also wanna make sure for anyone that's like interested in getting in touch with, you know, either yourself, the hockey department, Cornell, speaking, you know, whatever makes sense for you, like, where where can people find or reach out reach out to to you? Yeah. Our our emails are right on our our hockey website there and we, you know, sometimes have a little lag in email response, not gonna lie about that, but to, we try to get back to everybody that does email us, we got a system, we keep track of kids or, you know, people have emailed and it's probably the easiest, easiest form of contact for sure. Perfect. We'll make sure to put up a link in the in the show notes for for the Cornell ice hockey program. James, I don't know. You got anything else for Sean before we wrap this one up?
Jamie: I I do. I I didn't want to interrupt Scott's lightning round, but I'm I'm curious. What's the prettiest barn you've ever played in, like, architecturally? Because you you the ECAC has a bunch of them. So I'm and it may doesn't have to be in the ECAC, but I'm just curious to hear your thoughts.
Scott: Yeah. I mean, I'll go back to just my my heartstrings a little bit too. Like, I I love Saint Lawrence. Love Apple City.
Jamie: I mean, sick barn. Yeah.
Scott: I grew up, you know, loving that, and I was fortunate to to play there. I think it's it's second to none a bit. Like, I I I love it. Love going back. And, of course, you know, and the other one I'd probably say is, you know, I did think North Dakota's was was pretty sick. I mean, totally different in how they have that all set up there, but I thought just you didn't see any of their stuff, don't get me wrong, but just the marble stuff was a little different.
Jamie: Yeah, definitely. I thought you were gonna say Yale or Princeton. Okay, gotcha.
Scott: Yeah, I went out of league. Mean, I love those barns too. I picked my St. Lawrence for the old traditional one a little Just point
Jamie: building, yeah.
Scott: Yeah, I think we are really blessed with some of our, all of our rinks really in our league, the E. A. L. And Hockey. I mean, just even the names of them are are incredible. I I think a lot of non conference teams that come out to play are a little bit blown away too by by our rinks and how they they're different, but, like, they're they're hockey rinks.
Jamie: Oh, yeah. They're like and they're like then they're like architectural, like, wonders too. They're impressive. Very impressive. Yeah.
Scott: Stuff, Sean. Well, listen, thanks so much for joining us again. Really appreciate it. All the best to you in the off season. Make the city here all set for next season. Definitely looking forward to catching a game. That's for sure. We gotta make a trip up to Cornell because I'm sold on going to see see a game there. I need a newspaper. I need all of
Jamie: it.
Scott: You got it. You show up. You'll get one. Alright. I
Jamie: love it. Awesome. Thank you, Sean.
Scott: I appreciate it. Us know anytime. Alright. Thanks for We're rest
Jamie: gonna take you up on that too.
Scott: You bet. Alright. Have a good night, Take care. Appreciate it, buddy. Everybody. Welcome back from the interview with Sean Flanagan, assistant coach at Cornell. Dude, love hearing from these college guys.
Jamie: Yeah. Sean's great. I'm sorry that it didn't work out in the first time, but this gave us more time with him. So I'm happy it worked out.
Scott: Yeah. No. Yeah. Silver lining. Silver lining in that one. But Yeah. Especially, you know, with these Ivy schools, it's also a different, you know, perspective because just the academic piece is so like, you know, it's it's such a part of that experience also. Right. Like they're not taking kids that are not interested in doing well in school either. Right. These are all lead hockey players that also want to be elite students.
Jamie: They want to be most part become students. Yeah.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah. No. They know
Jamie: what they're getting themselves into.
Scott: No, for sure. But as to, you know, it's but think about that. Like, think about kids that go on from, you know, these these IVs. And I'm not saying IVs are the only ones where it's like this. I'm just whatever. We just had, you know, our interview with an with an IV. But it just like how, you know, any kid that excels in both school and sports and they're playing high level sports, you know, just like hats off to them because, you know, they're certainly taking their hockey careers almost as seriously as possible while simultaneously having a second job. You know, and I'm sure there's plenty of athletes out there that, you know, don't have as rigorous of a workload. And, you know, there's a spectrum for sure. But just anyone that that's able to crush it on both ends, like, wow. Right?
Jamie: Are you trying to say that Gavin McKenna tying flies for fishing at Penn State is not like rigorous academics?
Scott: Yeah. I would definitely say that. I I wouldn't even Is
Jamie: that what you're trying to tell me?
Scott: I'm not even hesitating on that.
Jamie: So you're saying that the fly fishing class at Penn State is not like a legit academic course?
Scott: You tell me
Jamie: you don't have fly. You don't think they don't have fly tying in Cornell?
Scott: No, I don't. I actually have a really good agricultural school up there. Like, for real, it's like legit.
Jamie: Is that right?
Scott: It might be one of the top in the country.
Jamie: At Cornell? Yeah. I mean, it's kind of around farm y type areas. That doesn't surprise me.
Scott: Yeah. Should I actually I take that back. I have no idea how high up the ladder their agricultural school is, but my understanding is that it is quite good.
Jamie: Interesting. I did not know this. How did you know that?
Scott: My mother-in-law
Jamie: next time we have them on.
Scott: Oh, yeah. Yeah. Yeah. My mother-in-law grew up on a dairy farm not far from where you are right now up in Connecticut. And one of the one of the farming families has been around there for a long time. Their kids went on to went on to agricultural school at Cornell. And so they've gone on to do a lot of really nice things like in the area, like they have like a restaurant that, know, and they've got other farm stands. They have a lot of property. Like, they're just doing some really cool stuff. Yeah, just that's my understanding.
Jamie: Very cool.
Scott: Yeah. It's awesome. Jones Family Farm, I think it's called in Shelton, Connecticut.
Jamie: Okay. Got it. Jones Family Farm. Okay. Nice. I like it. What do they produce? Do they make like with like milk for like ice cream? Like, what are we talking here?
Scott: Oh, good. Good. Mostly, I don't think they have dairy. They just, you know, like they have apple orchards and strawberries, blueberries.
Jamie: So they
Scott: have like apple vegetables.
Jamie: Peach picking in the season, that type of stuff.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah, exactly. They'll have the apple picking, strawberry picking. They also think they might even have like a Christmas tree farm.
Jamie: Oh. If I'm not mistaken. Guys take the family up there for like the seasons like apple picking and peach pick. I think peaches are in the August. Apples
Scott: are summer fruit.
Jamie: Fall. Right?
Scott: Yeah. But no, we don't we don't necessarily go up there specifically for apple picking. We go up there to visit my my mother in law's my my wife's uncle, my mother in law's mother. So we go up there just to, go to the farm and, the kids can go see the cows. And, you know, it's a different experience. Right? He's got like a lot of acres, over a 100 acres bailing hay. He's got, you know, he's a trucker also. So he's got like his, you know, his rig and like the barn and, you know, it's like, it's cool. It's different. Interesting. That's gonna
Jamie: be a tough business.
Scott: Yeah. Dude works hard, man.
Jamie: I'm sure. Super hard. Yeah. I'm sure he does. Oh, got it. That doesn't surprise me at all. I mean, yes. Yeah. Reason I was asking about about does he is it a dairy farm? Because I I thought it was pretty funny that I that I found the the ice cream chicken leg at Yankee Stadium. Oh, yeah. You did. Yeah. Then it wasn't good for
Scott: you send that picture.
Jamie: I did. I figured I had to, you know, because you kept breaking my chops about the chicken bucket. See, it's like a mini chicken bucket. I mean, I
Scott: saw and I knew exactly what I was looking at when you sent
Jamie: it You me. Did was see? See?
Scott: If even if we had never talked about chicken ice cream as much as we did, that was the first thought, that's fried chicken.
Jamie: So I obviously had the chicken bucket at Yankee Stadium. So I missed it the first time, and it was the exact same thing that I brought you, and we ate on our episode. I don't remember what episode it was, but it was the exact same thing.
Scott: Let me ask you a question. When you got the when you got the the ice cream chicken at, like, wherever deli that you went Yes. Did you did you also cut the line at the deli to get that chicken ice cream, or you only cut the line at Yankee Stadium?
Jamie: So I once was it Velardo's deli? Does that sound right? What? It was in Nutley. Is that correct? I hope I'm not
Scott: Did you say in saying Clifton? That wasn't in Clifton? No. Was Nutley. In Nutley?
Jamie: I want to say it was in Nutley. Nutley, New Jersey. But so I when I ordered them from the deli in Jersey, I called ahead and the guy put 10 like a side for me. So funny It's funny you you say say that. When I walked in, it was kind of lunchtime and there was a massive line. There must have been 12 to 15 people on this line. And I went to get into the back of it and I'm like and the guy told me, he's like, just come to the front counter when you come in. Yeah. So I walk in, I see this massive line. I kind of go to the back of the line and I'm like, fuck me. And told me to go right to the counter. So I felt like such a jackass walking up in front of 15 people and be like, hey, by the way, I'm here to pick up my my ice cream chicken bucket bag. Like, felt like the biggest schmuck by the way. But I did it. And they were all looking me like I was an asshole. Mean, off. And, and, yeah, and I yeah, so I did. I walked up to the counter. He told to do it. It wasn't just me being an asshole. He I so, yes, I walked to the counter and he's like, oh, Jamie. Oh, yeah. Here's your bag. And I paid for it. I walked out. I felt like such a jackass, by the way.
Scott: So, yes. So what? You go to Citi I mean, you go to Yankee Stadium and you see this long line and they're like, what what happened last time there was a line for ice cream chicken? Oh, I cut it.
Jamie: So for those of you that remember when I tried it the first time, the line was not that long. It was much shorter this time, so it kinda wrapped around the pole. And as it's wrapping around the pole, I see the All right. So if you go to Yankee Stadium, it's a very long counter for the ice cream. Okay. Right across from Benihana's. Yeah. And last time we were there, only the left side was selling the chicken bucket. The right side was just selling regular ice cream. Okay. So as the lines wrapping around, we are standing in front of the right side of the counter and we still have like ways to go to wrap around the pillar to kind of go into the queue. Okay. And I see people walking up to this other ice cream line that I'm familiar with that just said it's just hold regular ice cream. But I'm looking over the guy's head and they're advertising the chicken bucket over his head and I'm going and it says exit only. It was a cue for an exit. K? What? And and there's cue for an exit. It it was it was like a it was a it was roped off, and it said exit only. K? So it's almost like you got your ice cream and you
Scott: walked through there. People were
Jamie: not leaving that way. They were walking the other way. See I'm like, I'm like, he has the chicken bucket. I'm like, he just gave to those three people. They just kind of walked up and got served. So I looked at Nancy, I'm like, I'm like, I'm like, should we walk in there? It says exit. Right? And the people behind me, they're like, it says exit. Right? I'm like, I'm like, but people are walking up there. She's like, I know. So like four or five people did it. So we're like, fuck it. We're doing it too then. So essentially what we do is we created another line. We did. There were two lines now for the chicken bucket. So we walked up, there were only like seven or eight left. So I got one. Well, I think there were like three or four left when I walked away. But yes, I did cut the line. I didn't cut the line. I created a new line along with a bunch of other patrons. It was not just me.
Scott: That's an interesting twist to the whole thing.
Jamie: It was not just me. A bunch of people started it and I just kind of followed suit.
Scott: So, you're a follower?
Jamie: Not saying When
Scott: comes to chicken ice cream, are.
Jamie: I suppose. I must say the dirty looks that we got from the people that were waiting on their line were Whatever. You'll never see them
Scott: again when you had chicken ice cream.
Jamie: True. And I must say, when we left, the original line was huge.
Scott: They don't tell people there's no more chicken ice cream?
Jamie: So, did I tell them that?
Scott: No. I'm just saying like the the the line was still for chicken ice cream and there was none left?
Jamie: No. There were.
Scott: They said there was, like, three left when you got there.
Jamie: There were three in on my side. I'm not sure the other side had more.
Scott: Oh. Oh. Oh. Gotcha.
Jamie: It was a left and a right side of, like, the counter. But but when we when we went to Yankee Stadium last month, the right side was not selling chicken buckets. It was just the left side. So, you wanted regular ice cream, you just go to the other side.
Scott: Got it. Yeah, I got you. I got you.
Jamie: So, yeah. So, I suppose that I did cut the line twice.
Scott: You know, there's only one way to procure chicken buckets, and that is clearly by cutting lines.
Jamie: Clearly. Clearly.
Scott: There's no
Jamie: other way. You need to take like evasive maneuvers to make sure that you secure the chicken bucket before it disappears.
Scott: You know what you should do next time? You should actually you should dress up in a chicken costume. No. And like you you'd be a chicken like mascot. And then you could walk up and just take the chicken bucket and you probably don't even have to pay for it because like they'll think like, oh, this is the guy
Jamie: for Oh, that I'm working there?
Scott: Yeah. And they're just yeah. You'll just take it and you'll be like showing everyone you got chicken and you'll have free chicken buckets.
Jamie: You you know, I I I don't think I look very good in a chicken costume.
Scott: Why? It yeah. How would it you you would be it's like, think big bird dog.
Jamie: Oh, we're talking like oh, so like you wouldn't see me at all?
Scott: Like No. No. You'd like it?
Jamie: Yeah. No. No. No. So it's like a mascot thing. Yeah. Yeah. That's Like the family fanatic type thing. Like, you don't see the person A 100%,
Scott: like, gritty, but a chicken.
Jamie: Those things have to be hot as hell, by the way.
Scott: Yo. Can I tell you something, though?
Jamie: How fucking hot those things are.
Scott: So listen. So Otto, like, maybe two seasons ago, we went to a Devil's game and he was he was hell bent on getting on the Jumbotron. So he it was like after Halloween and he wore like he was like Jason or whatever. So he had, like, you know, the old school goalie hockey mask, stitches on and blood. So he decided he was gonna wear the face mask, and that'll get him on the Jumbotron. We went
Jamie: it didn't work. Didn't it? It didn't work?
Scott: Didn't work. The face mask didn't work. So the next devil game we go to, he's like, I need to up my game. So we have, like, a hot dog costume, which is like, get into it. And like, you're a walking hot dog. And he's like, this is how I'm getting on the Jumbotron. I'm gonna be a hot dog. So he literally he would get in the hot dog costume, stand on the chair whenever, like, you know, he had a chance, and he made it break in the action, and he made it on that. I remember that. He got on as a hot dog. I'll have to put that on Instagram.
Jamie: Didn't they put him on the devil's Instagram too? Oh, I don't what he made it on the devil's Instagram.
Scott: No. You wanna hear something funny?
Jamie: No. Swore he made it.
Scott: If he did, I don't I don't know that. But then my daughter was also there. She was like, I wanna wear the costume. And like, finally, okay. So she wore it. Unbeknownst to her, she wanted to walk down by the glass in between periods. Right. So we did. And like everyone's kinda like, you know, standing and chilling and people like, I guess people thought that she was like a mascot that had to do with like the Prudential Like,
Jamie: Masquer Meier or like Subrette.
Scott: Dude, literally people were coming up to her asking if they could take a picture with her.
Jamie: Stop it. And she was in this little hot tub. Really?
Scott: I swear to God. And she goes, that was really weird. And I was like, yeah. I thought it was a little weird too.
Jamie: You don't you and I have a history of taking pictures with mascots?
Scott: Who do we take
Jamie: a picture with? We who do we take a picture with when were in Lake Placid? It was the Clarkson the Clarkson it was the Clarkson mascot. He was like the golden knight or something like that.
Scott: Oh, yeah. When he was walking by and Yeah. Yeah. We could put that up too. Yeah. Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. And I actually have a picture of of I have a picture with what mascot? Was on the Providence friar.
Scott: Oh, yeah.
Jamie: Providence, Rhode Island. Yep. We went to see Providence play BC. Oh, I think I remember picture with the Providence mascot.
Scott: Oh. Yeah.
Jamie: No. No. That's all. I was done.
Scott: No. Then I was thinking about autos and auto and hot dogs, and then he had gone to a Boston College game last season. Mhmm. And I guess in Boston College, they throw hot dogs into the stands for like, you know, you win a hot dog, like people shoot t shirts. I don't know because people were throwing hot
Jamie: dogs in the stands. They're they're in like cellophane.
Scott: Yeah. No. In in in foil wrapper.
Jamie: Yes. In foil In the oven. Right. Correct.
Scott: I got hot dog.
Jamie: That's pretty sweet. Caught it?
Scott: Yeah. But he didn't eat it.
Jamie: Because I wasn't
Scott: gonna eat that.
Jamie: I would eat it.
Scott: I know. He he he there was a pass on his end.
Jamie: Speaking of speaking of catching things in in the stands, Nancy and I were sitting kinda down the third baseline at Yankee Stadium the other day. Yeah. Like, 19 rows off the field and two rows in front of us. They played the Cincinnati Reds. Okay? And this dude, Sal Stewart, it plays third base for the Reds. And I and his entire Scott, his entire family were two rows in front of us. Like, I'm talking like, there must have been like 15 of them. And they
Scott: Is a guy?
Jamie: You know, I don't think so. Nancy looked him up. He's from Miami. Oh. Clearly, he has a ton of family in in the New York area. Right? So they were two rows in front of us. And a foul ball was hit that I want say like bounced off like the wall and kind of ricocheted back to him as he plays third base. And can I tell you, this guy takes the ball and he throws like a dot to his family members?
Scott: He was
Jamie: like, not close to them, Scott. And he throws a dot to his family members, and they catch it two rows in front of us.
Scott: Like that doesn't surprise me.
Jamie: Scott, he threw a fucking dot to these two professional. I know. But still, my god. It's ridiculous.
Scott: The Dude, you seen people
Jamie: these dudes have.
Scott: But that's like an all sports man. That that that's like you've seen foot like football soccer players when they, like, do crossbar challenges? Yes. You know, immune. It's, like, from distance too. It's not an accident. This
Jamie: dude he lobs it, like, from he he was standing, like, I don't know, maybe at the outfield grass where the third the dirt meets the outfield grass by the third baits, and he throws a fucking dot to his family members. And one of them caught it.
Scott: But listen, like, from his Right? Like, he throws that and, like, a little too far, a little too short. He he's hitting someone who's not paying attention.
Jamie: No. No. Everybody was paying attention. Oh, okay. Everybody everybody stood up.
Scott: Oh, okay. Got you.
Jamie: And and I actually almost fuck kind of felt bad because I'm like, oh my god. I'm like, how shitty would that have been at the guy in in the row in front of him caught it and, didn't give it to, like, the his family members behind him. Well, how would they know? They were all wearing Stewart jerseys, number 27.
Scott: No. So, was that obvious? I thought maybe you overheard them saying something.
Jamie: No, You couldn't miss it. Were all because they were were they all wearing not all of them, but the majority of them were wearing Stewart jerseys, whether they were white or red. Okay. Maybe they were all in the same row. They were all wearing Stewart jerseys. He was playing third base right there. And then before the game started, they were down by the wall where the players were talking to him and he came over to say hi
Scott: to them. Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. So that was that was pretty cool. I'm not gonna lie. That was kind of neat. Sweet. Yeah. Yeah. That is cool. He throws a dime to him like it was cool.
Scott: That is pretty cool. Yeah. I don't know, man. Just watching yeah. Get I get caught up in like YouTube or like Instagram or like when when you when I see something like these professional athletes, like just doing professional athlete like stuff, you know what I mean? It's like, Jesus, they're so good, man. And let me tell you, I I played pickup the other morning and one of the guys in the game played in the coast in the East Coast Hockey League. And it's just like, wow, dude. You know, like this guy obviously didn't make the NHL, but, you know, played in the coast. And look, again, he's playing against like myself and other people like, you know, that are not very good. But still it's
Jamie: just like
Scott: just seeing some like all the details, like just like, you know, body position, stick position, you know what I mean? Like, how quickly they can stick handle, get their head up and make, like, you know, a cheeky little pass, like, you know, like backdoor. It's just it's it was just, like, unreal to watch up close.
Jamie: Yeah. I can imagine.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: You you had an interesting little run-in at your pickup game. Right?
Scott: Oh, I had another one too. I didn't even tell you.
Jamie: Oh, really?
Scott: Wait. Oh, yeah. That's so funny. So shout out to Ben McGrath. Yes. So last episode and then we should probably wrap it up. It's getting long. But you are. So last episode when we had Rich Cohen on, he had mentioned, you know, someone from his, you know, that he knows then, you know, I think it had to do with like going to Chelsea Piers and
Jamie: Mensley game.
Scott: And I was he mentioned this guy, Ben McGrath. And so anyway, get on the bench to play the game and, just introducing myself to folks that I hadn't met before. And, you know, as you know, I introduced myself to the guy, Ben. And he goes, Oh, you know, Rich Cohen, you know, I know him. He's a friend. He mentioned me on the podcast. I'm like, Dude, this is such a small world. You know, that just last week, you know, you were mentioned on our podcast and and now we're on adventure with you playing men's league. And then the funnier thing is his kids on and look, I'm still meeting families on Otto's team for next season. He's on his son's on Otto's team.
Jamie: How funny.
Scott: So funny. So now, yeah, there's like a I don't know. Yeah. Small world. This is small world.
Jamie: Yes. Very, very small world. Yeah. Yeah. So before we wrap up, can we please talk about the blockbuster NHL trade that happened
Scott: last week? Dude. I told I told Otto, I'm like, Otto, major trade. Guess who's playing with who?
Jamie: I told Dominic the same thing.
Scott: And then Orly's like, they're brothers. And so Otto goes, no way. He goes he goes, Quinn's on the devils.
Jamie: Oh, that would have been phenomenal. I'm right.
Scott: He's like, no. He's like he's like, Jack's on he goes, Jack's on the Jack's on
Jamie: the Minnesota Wild.
Scott: Minnesota Wild. I'm like, no, dude. I'm like, Brady's playing Florida.
Jamie: Brady Kachuk to Florida for four draft picks. I mean Two first a future first and a future two. Is that what it is? Something like that?
Scott: I don't remember what it is, but like, geez.
Jamie: It was like two ones. Well, traded Mackie Samuskevich to Seattle earlier in the day. So that's when they acquired another one. So they traded this year's two ones. I want to say it's nine or 13 '25, something like that. Yeah. A first in 2029 and I think a second in 2030 or something along those lines for Brady. Unreal. I mean, listen, now you have to pay him. So, there's salary cap's gonna he's not gonna have a small salary.
Scott: No. But the other thing is like he's also coming from Canada where like, you know, the salary that he was making there, like with the Canadian, with the exchange exchange rate rate and and the the tax situation
Jamie: going on that was in a nontax state. That's what I'm saying.
Scott: I'm sure, like
Jamie: more of his money.
Scott: A 100%. Like, clearly, that's the advantage that they have and being in Florida. But still, you know
Jamie: I'm gonna say something that may be a little controversial, and I don't know if it's true or not, but it just made me think about it when this happened. Why is it that US born players are leaving Canada to come to The United States to play? Quinn, Johnny Goudreaux, Matthew Kaczuk. Why is that?
Scott: I I think there's plenty of people that go both directions.
Jamie: Are there?
Scott: I mean, I think so. I you trying to circuit, like, connect dots between this and, like, taxes?
Jamie: I'm not sure.
Scott: Could
Jamie: unless I'm asking. Is it me or is that a thing? I can't tell.
Scott: Listen, no, I think
Jamie: I can't tell if it's a thing or not. But but you have all these big time US born players that are leaving our friends up north to come back to The States.
Scott: Well, I I mean
Jamie: I don't know. Is it a money thing? Is it an exchange rate thing?
Scott: It says, I I think in some instances, that's definitely part of the equation. I think, undoubtedly.
Jamie: Think about that. Quinn wanted to leave. Right? Brady, Matthew, Johnny Goudreaux.
Scott: Yeah. I mean
Jamie: Again, don't know if there's any there there, but it seems like US born players are like gravitating away from the Canadian teams. Again, I don't know if it's true. Cole Caulfield seems to be one of the only exceptions. Thatcher Dads Podcast. Well, lean Hudson's on his rookie contract. That's different.
Scott: Fair.
Jamie: Right? Thatcher Demko. Call again, Cole Caulfield signed an extension. Is Brock Besser still up there? He is right. I'll say Brock's up there. Thatcher Demko. And what's his face? Our USA Hockey goalie. What's his name?
Scott: Oh, Hellabug.
Jamie: Thank you. Connor Hellabug's up there and assigned, you know, so so I'm I'm curious to see if like if there's like an exchange rate thing that that The US born players want to
Scott: not be playing count They they don't always have control over where they're going.
Jamie: Of course not.
Scott: You know? But I think for some people who have a say and have leverage in the conversation, I I think that, look, if you're choosing between Vegas, Dallas, Tampa, Florida, like even Carolina's a low income tax state, like
Jamie: Oh, yeah. Oh, we're talking a
Scott: little bit about solid Those are teams too, you know? So you know what I mean? So
Jamie: true. True. Very true.
Scott: So I don't know. It's it's it's it's got a lot going forward with those teams, you know?
Jamie: Yeah. Interesting. I wonder if there's anything there. Would love to explore that with somebody who knows what they're talking about. You know, if somebody who knows, like, I don't know. Interesting.
Scott: Right? Knows a thing or two about a thing or two?
Jamie: Yeah. Exactly. You know?
Scott: Yeah, man. Well,
Jamie: listen. I think Quinn is definitely coming to the Dallas by the way now. Because I think he wants to play with his brothers. We're gonna find out. One more year.
Scott: One more year, dog. One more year. More What do you think, we wrap this guy up?
Jamie: We can. Absolutely, buddy. This was fun.
Scott: Yeah. From location. Yeah. You get out of the freaking hotel. I mean, the lobby, I mean.
Jamie: The lobby? Yeah. Surprised nobody, like, has, like, side eye me. It's not that bad. I must say. Even though everybody's walking by. But it hasn't been terrible. Okay. Well, there you go. It's actually worked.
Scott: Your plan d is working.
Jamie: Yeah. You're not kidding. It's been an interesting day.
Scott: So Alright, dude. Well, why don't you get eat some food and get some rest?
Jamie: Yes. I appreciate that. I will talk to you later.
Scott: Alright, my guy.
Jamie: Episode 72 in the books?
Scott: In the books. Numbers 72.
Jamie: I love it. See you later, buddy.
Scott: Alright, dude. Peace out.
Jamie: See you. Bye.