Nick and Tom discuss different ways of thinking about addiction and why it matters for tackling one of the world's most important challenges.
- Common misconceptions about addiction
- The 3 fundamental addictive behaviors
- Are addicts fundamentally different than non-addicts?
- Is addiction a habit?
- Addiction, loss of control, and the gun-to-the-head test
- How important is self-control and willpower in overcoming addiction?
- Cravings, Urge Surfing (Alan Marlatt), and Confidence
- Transforming desire
- Addiction as a relationship, not a thing (Stanton Peele, Love and Addiction)
- Should we legalize and/or decriminalize recreational drugs?
- The world’s first self-help books (Nichomachean Ethics)
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies professionally vetted self-help books
- Addictive personalities
- Positive addictions
- Slips vs relapses and why the distinction matters
- The opposite of addiction is connection (John Hari)
- St. John’s College
- How to help someone who’s struggling with addiction
- Smart Recovery
- Beyond Addiction
- Practical Recovery
If you enjoyed this episode of Minds&Mics and want to get notified whenever new episodes are released, you can join Nick's free weekly newsletter here →
What is Minds and Mics?
Psychologist Nick Wignall interviews experts in the fields of psychology, mental health, and human potential to better understand how the mind works and how we can make it work for us to improve our lives in practical, meaningful ways.