Jason Mitchell, admin at Nihongodomo, a resource for parents "raising kids in Japanese," stops by to talk about how his parenting process is basically the opposite of Bobby's, by which we assume he means, HE'S doing a GOOD job.
Ollie makes the most of an online resource to gather river cruise recommendations, while he still can.
Bobby is on the worst trip ever, and it's affecting his ability to make light parody.
Topics discussed on this episode range from:
- Brian's kids
- Jason and his family dealing with the pandemic in the States
- Why Jason wanted to come on the show after hearing Woke Dad Japan (w/Daniel Yoder)
- The differences between what Jason is doing in the US and what Bobby and Dan were doing here
- All the latest developments with Ollie's fur baby
- What Horny Cats and Stand-up comic Ollie Horn have in common
- Why there's never been a better time for YOU to support the podcast financially
- JBRC reporting on Japanese schools still in session during Covid
- Why there's more to say about bilingual parenting
- The big question we forgot to answer in our first discussion with Dan, and what it says about English-centrism that it didn't come up
- What's different when Japanese is the minority language
- The connection between learning languages and empathy
- What are the goals for raising bilingual children
- Why some people are opposed to the idea of children learning multiple languages from a young age
- Potential problems with kids going to international school in Japan
- Ollie shit-talking Bobby's kids language abilities
- What a hoshuko is and why/how the Japanese government runs them
- Ollie's joke about a guitar that was WAY too true for Bobby
- Whether or not there are parents who force their kids to be weebs
- The interview process for getting into a hoshuko
- Jason discovering the difference between kid-Japanese and adult Japanese
- How culture is embedded in language, sometimes in naturally ways and sometimes in very forced ways
- What disadvantages might there be in terms of teaching your kids the minority language
- What Jason thinks about teaching his kids Japanese with the current rise in hate crimes against Asian and anti-asian sentiment
- What parenting "success" looks like
Topics discussed on the Extras:
or Tweet to us at @jbrcpod
What is Japan By River Cruise?
Stand-up comedians Bobby Judo and Ollie Horn purport to report on the Japanese river cruise industry each week.