Carol Cox: Carol Cox: If you want to shift your speaking from just Carol Cox: giving tips to delivering inspiring messages, Carol Cox: you're going to love hearing the journey of Carol Cox: our guest, Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur, Carol Cox: on this episode of the Speaking Your Brand Carol Cox: podcast. More and more women are making an Carol Cox: impact by starting businesses, Carol Cox: running for office and speaking up for what Carol Cox: matters. With my background as a TV political Carol Cox: analyst, entrepreneur, Carol Cox: and speaker, I interview and coach purpose Carol Cox: driven women to shape their brands, Carol Cox: grow their companies, and become recognized Carol Cox: as influencers in their field. Carol Cox: This is speaking your brand, Carol Cox: your place to learn how to persuasively Carol Cox: communicate your message to your audience.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: If you're someone who has an idea for a talk, Diane Diaz: or maybe you've even created your talk Diane Diaz: already, you might be wondering, Diane Diaz: well, what now? Diane Diaz: How do I get out there and start speaking? Diane Diaz: How do I promote myself as a speaker? Diane Diaz: How do I start getting speaking gigs? Diane Diaz: It's one thing to have that talk ready, Diane Diaz: but it's a whole other thing to actually Diane Diaz: start doing the talk, getting out there, Diane Diaz: delivering it and finding speaking Diane Diaz: engagements that you want, Diane Diaz: places you want to speak to and places where Diane Diaz: you can deliver this fantastic message that Diane Diaz: you created. So how do you do that? Diane Diaz: What are the techniques for doing that? Diane Diaz: Well, that's what we're going to talk about Diane Diaz: today with our guest on the Speaking Your Diane Diaz: Brand podcast, Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur. Diane Diaz: And so let me start by just saying if you're Diane Diaz: new to speaking your brand, Diane Diaz: welcome. If you are returning, Diane Diaz: welcome back. I'm Diane Diaz and I am the Diane Diaz: marketing and communications strategist and Diane Diaz: lead speaking coach at Speaking Your Brand. Diane Diaz: And today we are going to talk about all the Diane Diaz: actions and steps that you can take to take Diane Diaz: the talk that you've worked on, Diane Diaz: practice it and get out there and start Diane Diaz: delivering it so that you can start making Diane Diaz: the impact that you want to make with your Diane Diaz: message. Now our guest today, Diane Diaz: as I said, is Elaine Schaumburg LaFleur, Diane Diaz: and she is senior project engineer at AOA Diane Diaz: here in Orlando. And she's going to tell us a Diane Diaz: little bit more about that and what she does Diane Diaz: at AOA. Now, Elaine worked with me in a VIP Diane Diaz: day way back in August of 2024 because she Diane Diaz: had a specific speaking engagement coming up. Diane Diaz: So we worked together, Diane Diaz: and then she attended our in-person speaking Diane Diaz: workshop, where she was able to practice her Diane Diaz: storytelling, practice her messaging, Diane Diaz: practice her delivery. Diane Diaz: And so then that launched her on this, Diane Diaz: these additional speaking engagements that Diane Diaz: she's been doing, which we're going to hear Diane Diaz: about. So welcome, Elaine, Diane Diaz: to the podcast.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Thank you so much, Diane. Glad to be here.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yes, I'm so excited for our audience to hear Diane Diaz: from you. Now, you and I were chatting, Diane Diaz: um, briefly. Diane Diaz: Well, we'll get into that in just a minute. Diane Diaz: Let me start by just saying if you can just. Diane Diaz: I said you work at AOA, Diane Diaz: but you've actually had a long history Diane Diaz: somewhere else before that. Diane Diaz: So if you could take a short, Diane Diaz: a short little bit and tell our audience what Diane Diaz: you do now and sort of what your background Diane Diaz: is and how you came to this work that you do.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Absolutely. So my background is engineering. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade that has used that to go more into the project management side to balance the, the technical and that idea of loving people and solving problems. So very excited. I've been in the theme park industry for over 22 years. I worked for Walt Disney World for many of those years, but recently have started, like you said, with AOA, which is a company that actually started from Disney to former Imagineers started this small company, um, that still brings these wonderful stories to life here and all around the world. Um, so we get to partner with Disney and other theme parks as well as museums, uh, you name it. It's just if you can think of a themed opportunity, that is what our team does when it comes to creating storytelling and, uh, the engineering and project management side, which is ties so well into what you do as well as teaching us how to tell stories, whether those are through the projects that you create and or through speeches that you give.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Well, that's such a great point. You're so Diane Diaz: right. Because I was looking at the website Diane Diaz: for AOA, and I saw that it had been started Diane Diaz: by former Disney Imagineers, Diane Diaz: and that it was really about building Diane Diaz: experiences. Diane Diaz: And so that's what we do when we speak, Diane Diaz: right? We are building experience. Diane Diaz: We're telling a story. Diane Diaz: And so, I mean, that's interesting. Diane Diaz: Your job is storytelling basically through an Diane Diaz: engineering lens, right. Creating that Diane Diaz: experience. But also when you're a speaker, Diane Diaz: your job is storytelling, Diane Diaz: creating experience for the audience. Diane Diaz: So I know, um, back in August of 2024, Diane Diaz: you had reached out for a talk that you had Diane Diaz: coming up. So what was your what was your Diane Diaz: speaking experience before? Diane Diaz: And we'll talk about working together then. Diane Diaz: But what was your speaking experience before Diane Diaz: we worked together in that VIP day?
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: So before that VIP day, I had given more of your short type of talks somewhere around 15 to 20 minutes, um, on very topics that I know really well, etc. and when I reached out to you, it was because I got my first opportunity to do a keynote. And so I was taking this 15 to 20 minute thing that I do to an hour. And it was quite the it was quite the jump in time, as well as the jump in the amount of people who were going to be attending. And I really wanted some advice from you on how to take what I know and turn that into an actual keynote. And that session with you was amazing. You really helped me first get out of my head. When it comes to always just having to bring tips, right? Like I'm the tip girl. Let me share all the things I've learned in my 22 years, and you've taught me how to put those in to the speech, so they're there. Um, but with that comes the storytelling. And what was so funny is I do that so often, but I kind of lost that idea of needing to bring that storytelling aspect, that beginning, middle and end throughout everything, especially during an entire hour presentation, and really appreciate what you helped me create. And just the confidence that I had going into that speech was wonderful. And then once that once I did that, then I just got the bug of I need to continue doing this more. And, um, so I appreciate that because that was the the gateway. Yeah.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Like the gateway drug to speaking. Diane Diaz: Right? Yes. Diane Diaz: You know, it's so funny. Diane Diaz: Like I did notice that that once you did that Diane Diaz: talk. And then, of course, we'll talk about Diane Diaz: the workshop you came to, but I noticed you Diane Diaz: kind of got that bug of speaking. Diane Diaz: So we we are the gateway. Diane Diaz: If you work with us, you're going to we're Diane Diaz: going to push you to do more things, Diane Diaz: get out there more. And like we were talking Diane Diaz: about before we started recording, Diane Diaz: actually pitching yourself to to speak, Diane Diaz: which will again, we'll we'll touch on that Diane Diaz: and more in a little bit, but I love two that Diane Diaz: you mentioned that, you know, Diane Diaz: you had kind of been sort of like the tip Diane Diaz: girl. And so that's that expert trap that we Diane Diaz: talk about, right? Where you get stuck just Diane Diaz: sharing tips and all your expertise, Diane Diaz: but also you forget, like as you said, Diane Diaz: your your job is storytelling in the Diane Diaz: engineering work that you do. Diane Diaz: And so but we don't realize sometimes we Diane Diaz: can't use our superpower on ourselves. Diane Diaz: So we forget like, oh, Diane Diaz: we actually do this in our work. Diane Diaz: But then how do we translate that to a talk? Diane Diaz: Right. And so that's where, Diane Diaz: you know, when we worked in the VIP day, I Diane Diaz: remember you sharing some of your amazing Diane Diaz: Disney stories with me and things projects. Diane Diaz: You had worked on that of course. Diane Diaz: So just for background, Diane Diaz: for everyone listening, Diane Diaz: Elaine and I both live in the Orlando area, Diane Diaz: and so I've lived here for a long time, Diane Diaz: and so I'm extremely familiar with Disney, Diane Diaz: as is anyone who lives here. Diane Diaz: And so as we were working together and you Diane Diaz: were sharing your stories with me about these Diane Diaz: different projects you worked on, Diane Diaz: You know, these are things that are familiar Diane Diaz: to me. And so hearing kind of the background Diane Diaz: of these things and your involvement in them Diane Diaz: and those the power of those stories, Diane Diaz: and I believe the talk you were you were Diane Diaz: going to give that keynote talk was to a Diane Diaz: group of young women engineers in college. Diane Diaz: Is that correct? Correct.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: That is correct, yes.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: And yeah, so the whole goal was to sort of Diane Diaz: let them see what's possible, Diane Diaz: inspire them, you know, Diane Diaz: show them where they might be headed in their Diane Diaz: in their career. Diane Diaz: And that's what we ended up with is these Diane Diaz: amazing stories that you of these projects Diane Diaz: you had worked on. And so, Diane Diaz: you know, I love that storytelling aspect, Diane Diaz: because then when you came to the workshop, Diane Diaz: that was an opportunity to actually practice Diane Diaz: those things. So, well, Diane Diaz: let let me ask first, though, Diane Diaz: once you when you delivered that talk, Diane Diaz: how was it received by that audience of young Diane Diaz: women soon to be engineers?
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: I I've made so many good contacts and friends through that. I love all of them reaching out that are taking some of those stories and applying that feeling empowered themselves in the future that they can do in this industry. You and I had talked that my love of talking to fellow women in engineering comes from the fact that here I've been in this industry, like we talked over 22 years and we're still less than 20% of the industry. And so I appreciate you helping me because I want to keep encouraging and empowering people. So they see it. They it's hard to be what you can't see. And so we get out there to kind of inspire and encourage. And I think what I was able to do was reach that group and just continuing to reach others to say, we can make a difference in this industry.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yes. I love that. Diane Diaz: You know, that just reminds me of something Diane Diaz: that just an experience I just had recently Diane Diaz: where I attended a scholarship social for a Diane Diaz: group that I'm a part of, Diane Diaz: and one of the young women receiving one of Diane Diaz: the scholarships was a she's studying Diane Diaz: aerospace engineering and wants to be, Diane Diaz: I believe she told me she wants to be a test Diane Diaz: pilot and then a commercial pilot, Diane Diaz: and then she's already done all all of these Diane Diaz: internships all over the country in things Diane Diaz: related to aerospace engineering. And I was Diane Diaz: really blown away by that. Diane Diaz: But the conversation I had with her was to to Diane Diaz: that point of the fact that it is a very male Diane Diaz: dominated industry. Diane Diaz: And so as a woman in engineering, Diane Diaz: you have all these opportunities, but also, Diane Diaz: of course, then you've got to, you know, work Diane Diaz: that much harder. But getting your voice out Diane Diaz: there, you know, being seen, Diane Diaz: having the visibility. Diane Diaz: And so hearing from women like you who've Diane Diaz: been in the industry for a long time, Diane Diaz: for these young women to hear from someone Diane Diaz: like that, I think is so empowering because Diane Diaz: like you said, you you can't be what you Diane Diaz: can't see. But when they see it, Diane Diaz: they're like, oh, I didn't. Diane Diaz: Maybe they have never thought about working Diane Diaz: at a theme park. You know, Diane Diaz: maybe that's never occurred to them. Diane Diaz: But so there's those opportunities. Diane Diaz: So that's how important. Diane Diaz: And for everyone listening, regardless of the Diane Diaz: industry you're in, that is how important Diane Diaz: your message is.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Absolutely. Absolutely. And being able to show and and guide and show that there's ways to show empathy in any type of industry. So. Absolutely.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yes.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Yeah. Storytelling.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yes, exactly. Diane Diaz: And I'm so I'm so glad that you were bitten Diane Diaz: by that bug, because then you attended our Diane Diaz: in-person speaking workshop where that was an Diane Diaz: opportunity in an in-person setting with, Diane Diaz: I think we had about 13 or 14 other women Diane Diaz: there. And then it was a whole day workshop Diane Diaz: where we gave hands on feedback. Diane Diaz: So there's an opportunity for you to get on Diane Diaz: the stage, tell your story, Diane Diaz: share a story, get feedback from myself and Diane Diaz: Carol, giving you feedback on not just the Diane Diaz: delivery, but also the stage presence, Diane Diaz: use of the stage, your body language, Diane Diaz: all of those things to make the story as Diane Diaz: impactful for the audience as possible so Diane Diaz: that it can really it can really create the Diane Diaz: impact you want to create with your message Diane Diaz: through that story? How? Diane Diaz: Tell us about that experience in the Diane Diaz: workshop, what it was like, Diane Diaz: what you walked away with it, Diane Diaz: what you walked away from it with?
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: I encourage people to attend these. To me, it was so nice to hear so many different voices and to remind myself that there's many ways to give presentations. Some people do humor really well. Some people don't feel authentic in doing the humor approach, and I really love that you work through different techniques that helped you think through what feels authentic to you, what feels like it's going to get your message across, and getting to hear all these different women give those different perspectives and hear that and hear their story and hear why they're up there and just getting to take little bits from them like, oh, that works for them, I love that. Or oh, I could do that too. And it helped me kind of tweak and become stronger just by being around them and or just getting some of the accolades from them as well. Like, oh, that was a fantastic story. And sometimes you just need that reminder of you're making you're helping others just as much as they're helping you in this day workshop.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yeah. You know, that's such a good point Diane Diaz: because when you're practicing your talk in Diane Diaz: front of a mirror to yourself, Diane Diaz: right, you don't have the feedback of someone Diane Diaz: else saying, oh my gosh, Diane Diaz: that really made an impact on me. And I do Diane Diaz: remember on that day, all of the women there, Diane Diaz: you and everyone else, Diane Diaz: when they would get up to tell their story. Diane Diaz: So many of the other people in the audience Diane Diaz: were moved by it or reminded of some Diane Diaz: experience they had or, Diane Diaz: you know, just gave some piece of feedback Diane Diaz: that was just like, oh, this was really Diane Diaz: meaningful when you said this. Diane Diaz: And it is a great opportunity to get Diane Diaz: validation for the story, Diane Diaz: validation for, you know, Diane Diaz: the way you're delivering it, and also tips Diane Diaz: for making it stronger. Diane Diaz: But also, I love the point you made about the Diane Diaz: fact that everyone has a different speaking Diane Diaz: style, right? You might be a more reserved Diane Diaz: speaker where someone else is more Diane Diaz: boisterous. Someone else might use humor. Diane Diaz: Another person might, like you said, Diane Diaz: not be comfortable with humor in that way, Diane Diaz: and so everyone can use their own unique Diane Diaz: speaking style. And we saw that on that day. Diane Diaz: We saw many different styles of speaking, Diane Diaz: all of them amazing. Diane Diaz: But then it's just amplifying whatever your Diane Diaz: natural style is to make it as powerful as Diane Diaz: possible for the audience.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Absolutely. And I love that you balance pushing us out of our comfort zone with the idea of still being authentic. And it's it's a perfect day for that to where you make us get up and do some improv things, which for introvert engineers like myself, you make that a little challenging, which I appreciate. Yeah. And and all the while, like you said, just being able to encourage each other and know that we're making a difference together and becoming stronger when you leave that day, that session.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yes. Yeah. That's a really good point about Diane Diaz: pushing you outside your comfort zone, Diane Diaz: because, you know, on that day we want you to Diane Diaz: to try some new things that maybe you've Diane Diaz: never tried before. And to full disclosure, Diane Diaz: Carol and I, we love what improv can do for Diane Diaz: someone who was a speaker. We don't love Diane Diaz: improv per se, because we are both not very Diane Diaz: good at it, and I'm not speaking out of turn. Diane Diaz: I'm sure Carol would admit to that as well. Diane Diaz: I love to hate improv. Diane Diaz: But with that said, I do recognize the, Diane Diaz: um, skills that I've taken from having taken Diane Diaz: an improv class and those exercises that we Diane Diaz: do during these workshops where Carol and I Diane Diaz: also participate them, even though we aren't, Diane Diaz: we aren't good at it, but it does get you Diane Diaz: outside your comfort zone. Diane Diaz: It also, it forces you to think outside the Diane Diaz: box of what you think is possible. Diane Diaz: It gets you into your body because you're Diane Diaz: moving around on the stage. Diane Diaz: And so that's one thing I love about these Diane Diaz: workshops is, you know, Diane Diaz: we can tell people, Carol and I can get in Diane Diaz: the expert trap, right, and tell people all Diane Diaz: these tips. Instead, what we do is we get in Diane Diaz: a room with the women that attend, Diane Diaz: have them practice these things so they can Diane Diaz: feel it for themselves. Diane Diaz: So instead of us just telling, Diane Diaz: they're actually doing and then they Diane Diaz: experience the power of being in a room with Diane Diaz: other women, getting that feedback, getting Diane Diaz: the validation, doing the exercises, Diane Diaz: moving on the stage. Diane Diaz: And there's some I think you saw it that day Diane Diaz: to some really big breakthroughs that happen.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Yes.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: In that day. Yeah.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: And you could and you could just celebrate with them on that. And it's so much fun. Absolutely.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yes. Yeah. You know, we laugh, Diane Diaz: we cry, we dance, we have fun, Diane Diaz: we get serious, we get silly, Diane Diaz: we do all the things. Diane Diaz: And it's it's just the one thing that I love Diane Diaz: the most about it is seeing everyone in the Diane Diaz: beginning be a little reserved and timid and Diane Diaz: watching them just. Diane Diaz: It sounds so cliche, but literally blossom Diane Diaz: before our eyes to the end of the day where Diane Diaz: they're on the stage with power telling this Diane Diaz: story. It is incredible.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: I've connected with a bunch of the ladies who were in that session through LinkedIn. We stay in touch. We encourage each other. Uh, it's so much fun to get comments from them, or to be able to comment on their stuff on LinkedIn and see them taking what they learned from that day and applying it. It's it is. So the word encouraging just doesn't give enough to to show what you get out of that day. It's it's more than just a day. It's building your own confidence. It's getting out of perfectionism. And it's it's making connections that are so special.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yeah, that's a great point about getting out Diane Diaz: of perfectionism. I think that's one thing Diane Diaz: that we're all probably guilty of is trying Diane Diaz: to make the talk perfect before we can go Diane Diaz: deliver it, but we know that you have to Diane Diaz: deliver it in order to be able to perfect it. Diane Diaz: Right, and to be able to make it better. Diane Diaz: Now, Elaine, were you I'm curious. Diane Diaz: Were you, um, coming into that workshop, Diane Diaz: were you nervous? Diane Diaz: Unsure. Not like what was. Diane Diaz: What were you feeling like coming into it? Diane Diaz: And then what was it like at the end?
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: I was definitely nervous, uh, especially being around some people who have a lot more experience. Um, and, and those who have given bigger Talks, done things for, um, getting paid for some of those things as well, which you're encouraging us to do. So a little bit nervous coming in, but I think what you helped us see is what each of us brings and what each of us is going to learn. And so getting that that growth mindset of coming in and what you're going to get out of that, uh, is so valuable. And I think, like you said, those sessions of just loosening up, getting to know each other, bonding, um, getting to hear what other people are trying to work on themselves and being able to be encouraging and help or even ask like, okay, how could I work on this? Um, how could I get this story across without, uh, emotions coming through things like that where we, we started just forming this effort of helping each other, and it was so uplifting. And like you said it from the moment through lunch, through the end of the day, it was just I didn't even want to leave. Like, I just wanted to stay around and be encouraged and like, wait, I got so much energy. How do we how do we keep this going?
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: I know it's such a fun day and it's fun for Diane Diaz: for me and Carol as well. And we don't want Diane Diaz: to leave either, because it is so much fun. Diane Diaz: Um, and the bonds that everyone forms during Diane Diaz: that day, you can see those kind of happen Diane Diaz: before your eyes as well, Diane Diaz: which is so lovely to see. Diane Diaz: And if, if we need anything in this world, Diane Diaz: it's people supporting each other more, Diane Diaz: right. And so seeing, seeing professionals Diane Diaz: and, and, uh, you know, Diane Diaz: women supporting each other on LinkedIn when Diane Diaz: we watched that too, like we see you all Diane Diaz: connecting with each other. We love to see Diane Diaz: that. Um, okay. Diane Diaz: So I've been following you on LinkedIn, Diane Diaz: of course, and I've seen you posting about Diane Diaz: other talks you've been giving. Diane Diaz: So I've noticed you have been bitten by the Diane Diaz: speaking bug and that you've been speaking Diane Diaz: more. Can you share a little bit about some Diane Diaz: of the speaking engagements you've had since Diane Diaz: that last talk that you gave where we worked Diane Diaz: together? Like, what have where have you been Diane Diaz: speaking? What has been the topic? What has Diane Diaz: it been like?
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: No, I appreciate it because you're you helped us think through how to reach out more and encouraging us to do that more. And I had kind of stayed in my my colleges, especially University of Central Florida. Things here that I am happy to support will always support, but I appreciate that you helped us try to branch out. Um, so, you know, I got I found this whole group called Empowering Women, which is wonderful. And being able to reach out and apply and get selected to speak there was an amazing thing. And, um, then even the stuff, when you get rejected, I think you've really helped us build resilience through that. Um, so like, for instance, I had applied to the Society of Engineers the big conference that happens in October, and I didn't get selected. Um, but what I took from that was, um, you know, Carol gives lots of great tips on how to use AI, and I, I, I've learned from her for doing that. So I took some of the sections that were selected, copied those in and I, you know, saying, hey, you know, here's the topics I like to talk about. Here's the topics that were selected. What are some of the things that I could do that maybe change up the title or change up the content that stay authentic to me, but seems to be what they're looking for at this event. And that helped me get selected for a local. So it wasn't necessarily getting the big one, but I got selected to talk at a local one, which was exciting. So I really appreciate all the tips that she does to stay resilient. Don't take the no. What do you learn from it? Yes. And how you can build and change still being authentic to you, but change to make sure you're hitting the content that's important for those sessions.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Oh, that's so exciting. I'd love to hear that Diane Diaz: you're using AI to help you with that. Diane Diaz: Yay! We love that. Diane Diaz: You know, I think as speakers, Diane Diaz: we need to use whatever tools are available Diane Diaz: to us to help us, you know, Diane Diaz: craft a pitch or refine the pitch or like Diane Diaz: you, like you did like look for where where Diane Diaz: can I improve upon this? Diane Diaz: To maybe submit to this other speaking gig or Diane Diaz: conference or whatever? Diane Diaz: And I mean, that's very smart and obviously Diane Diaz: very effective. So now you got chosen for Diane Diaz: another talk, which is great. Diane Diaz: Love that. And what is that talk going to be Diane Diaz: on or have you given it already.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: No that's okay. So basically what it's able to do on this case, it's it's taking a political look at how to stay authentic to you. Um, and some of the political challenges, um, so very excited about it.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: That's exciting. Diane Diaz: Wow. I love you're also doing a nice job of Diane Diaz: taking your core message and sort of Diane Diaz: massaging it into other realms, Diane Diaz: which that's another thing that we like to Diane Diaz: see happen because, you know, Diane Diaz: you don't have to just speak to like the one Diane Diaz: type of audience all the time with the exact Diane Diaz: same message. You can modify the message, Diane Diaz: change it, which is the great benefit of Diane Diaz: using the framework that we the signature Diane Diaz: talk framework that we use. Because then you Diane Diaz: can pull some of the same stories, Diane Diaz: massage it into a different main message for Diane Diaz: a different audience. Diane Diaz: So well done. Diane Diaz: I love to.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: See. Thank you guys for empowering me for that.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: You're doing all the hard work, but I Diane Diaz: absolutely love to see that now. Diane Diaz: Um, what? So how have most of your speaking Diane Diaz: opportunities come to you? Diane Diaz: Have you been? Have they reached out to you? Diane Diaz: Have you been pitching to different Diane Diaz: conferences? How have those come about?
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: I've actually gotten it both ways, which is kind of fun is, uh, I will say still, most of it is me putting myself out there and trying. But, um, you know, I did get I did have somebody reach out to me recently for an opportunity to speak in September, and I was so excited to have somebody reach out to me and say, I heard you speak at the local conference for sweet. Loved your topic. Would you mind coming in and sharing that same thing? And so it's going to be fun to see how that continues to grow as the opportunities continue to grow.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yes. Well, and you're very good about posting Diane Diaz: these things on LinkedIn, which I think helps Diane Diaz: in your visibility. And so to everyone Diane Diaz: listening to this as you're speaking, Diane Diaz: post about these events. Diane Diaz: Post about when it's coming up. Diane Diaz: Post after it. You know, Diane Diaz: as it's happening, post after it happens. Diane Diaz: Because this is how we build visibility for Diane Diaz: our speaker brand, right? Diane Diaz: Like we you have the Elaine the engineer Diane Diaz: brand, but you also have Elaine, Diane Diaz: the speaker brand, right? And so you are very Diane Diaz: good about posting content on LinkedIn that Diane Diaz: demonstrates that you are a speaker.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Absolutely. And that's that's how that person reached out to me, was through LinkedIn. And so even those small tips that you and Carol give, like just how to kind of go into your title and just make sure that that's out there, like you said, here's some here's some snippets, here's some photos of me out here. Here's me, um, and some of the people who I'm talking to that I'm inspiring. That matters. And so utilize that LinkedIn and those connections.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yes. Yes. Good, I love that. Diane Diaz: You're absolutely right. Diane Diaz: Um, I think LinkedIn is probably one of the Diane Diaz: most important, uh, platforms that we can use Diane Diaz: because it, it functions a little bit like a Diane Diaz: search engine as well. Diane Diaz: So when people because it is a professional Diane Diaz: database, so to speak. Diane Diaz: And so when people are looking for someone to Diane Diaz: speak in a certain industry or on a certain Diane Diaz: topic, that's they can go there in search. Diane Diaz: And so make sure you have and I'm saying this Diane Diaz: to everybody listening, of course, make sure Diane Diaz: you have speaker in your in your LinkedIn Diane Diaz: bio. Make sure you talk about speaking. Diane Diaz: Make sure you post about speaking because Diane Diaz: again, that's how you build your speaker Diane Diaz: brand so that people know you're, Diane Diaz: oh, you do this, you know, Diane Diaz: they can count on you to do this. Diane Diaz: Well. So fantastic. Diane Diaz: And so tell me a little bit about, Diane Diaz: um, from the time we worked together in last Diane Diaz: August in that VIP day and then through now. Diane Diaz: And so we worked together. Diane Diaz: Then you came to the workshop. Now you've Diane Diaz: actually been speaking. Diane Diaz: Tell me a little bit about how your how you Diane Diaz: feel like you've changed as a speaker.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: I Don't want to, like, say this over again, but I really do appreciate that. I think my message has gotten better. And by not just sitting there saying, here's your tips. And it came across very engineering, very here's the bullet points I've got out of the bullet points and more into the the storytelling. And I think that leaves people more inspired on where they can go. So I appreciate that you've helped me just tweak my message, um, a lot better, which gives me more confidence when I'm up there. And then, like you said, we're just continuing to grow all those connections and allowing that to just reach a bigger audience, which is just so much more impactful.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yeah, yeah. No, I love that that you Diane Diaz: mentioned the storytelling component because Diane Diaz: that is the you know, we all there's a Diane Diaz: bazillion more engineers, Diane Diaz: right. And so a lot of those tips will Diane Diaz: probably be similar to what someone else Diane Diaz: might share. But when you incorporate your Diane Diaz: story. So for you, Elaine, Diane Diaz: you know, these stories of having worked at Diane Diaz: Disney, Not everybody has that story of being Diane Diaz: a Disney engineer who can share those types Diane Diaz: of stories to inspire an audience or show Diane Diaz: them possibilities in that field, Diane Diaz: or, you know, your personal stories with your Diane Diaz: career growth and trajectory. Diane Diaz: Those are yours. Those are very unique to Diane Diaz: you, but they have a universal message to Diane Diaz: them, which I'm sure you've found to be the Diane Diaz: case. Right.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Agreed. Absolutely I agree. And just those moments mean so much to me. When I give a speech. I've got the group that comes up to you afterwards that wants to talk what their takeaways are either just the connections on LinkedIn afterwards when somebody tells you, here's what I've applied, here's what I'm going to do. It's so rewarding, isn't it?
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: And it's so validating too, Diane Diaz: that, you know, not only have you made an Diane Diaz: impact on them, but also, Diane Diaz: oh, what I have to say matters.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Yes. Yes, absolutely. And knowing that it's given them inspiration and taking them. That's why we do what we do.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yes, yes. And this is for everyone listening. Diane Diaz: This is the power, I think, Diane Diaz: of this, uh, community where we work in this Diane Diaz: workshop, and we. Diane Diaz: It's like a community for the day. Diane Diaz: But then it carries on after that, Diane Diaz: and there's just so much support for all, Diane Diaz: everything happening throughout the day, but Diane Diaz: particularly everyone's individual personal Diane Diaz: stories, because we share a lot of very Diane Diaz: personal stories during this day in in an Diane Diaz: effort to find those stories that are going Diane Diaz: to make the best impact for the message. Diane Diaz: And I just love the way you can see kind of Diane Diaz: what your story does for your audience. Diane Diaz: You can see that happen during the day of Diane Diaz: that workshop. You can see it happen. Diane Diaz: So it's almost like a live example of the Diane Diaz: power of story right then and there. Diane Diaz: But that, just like you said, just gives you Diane Diaz: the confidence for then telling your story to Diane Diaz: the audience once you deliver your talk. Diane Diaz: Yeah, I love that.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: No, I think you can't say that enough. The more than four people from that, that session I still talk to on LinkedIn. Their stories matter to me, the voice that they're trying to get across. You can find what's similar in yours versus what drives them, what's inspiring to them, and then just being able to encourage them to continue to get that message out has been just as fun for me.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yeah. That's a that's a really great point. Diane Diaz: Like that support of everyone really, Diane Diaz: really is so powerful because we you know, Diane Diaz: we don't can we do this alone. Diane Diaz: Maybe. But it's so much more effective when Diane Diaz: we have others supporting us, Diane Diaz: especially someone who's been at that Diane Diaz: workshop with you, seen you deliver the Diane Diaz: message, seen how powerful your your story is Diane Diaz: and then can give you the kudos, Diane Diaz: give you the encouragement, give you the or Diane Diaz: even, you know, share a resource with you in Diane Diaz: some way, shape or form to help you, Diane Diaz: you know, pitch to an organization or Diane Diaz: something. So that's the other thing about Diane Diaz: the workshop is just the bonds that are Diane Diaz: formed is so amazing for us to see happen.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Very powerful. Very powerful.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yeah. Now, um. Diane Diaz: All right, so now you've been speaking. Diane Diaz: You're posting about it on LinkedIn. Diane Diaz: So what is next for you? Diane Diaz: You mentioned to me when before we started Diane Diaz: recording, you mentioned that you actually Diane Diaz: have pitched for another speaking engagement. Diane Diaz: But in addition to that, Diane Diaz: tell us a little bit about that. And then in Diane Diaz: addition to that, what else is on the horizon Diane Diaz: for you in your speaking career?
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: I again, I think I was telling you that, um, you and Carol will always be like little voices in my head of where I've made a commitment to myself on each quarter, how many people I'm going to at least reach out to, and making sure that I'm meeting those goals for myself. Uh, not getting in my own head or being just concerned of it's. Oh, it's not perfect. It's not the right time yet. Um, and so I appreciate that. I appreciate that your your voices are helping me drive and encouraging me to reach out more. Uh, because it sometimes it just takes that to to get the yeses and be okay with the no's, because the yeses are going to be so much more powerful when you get them. So yes, you're in my head and you're you're encouraging me. And with that, um, I got to I submitted, uh, over the weekend for another one. So I'll hear back in November and looking forward to seeing if that's a yes as well.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yay! Exciting. Diane Diaz: And then do you have plans for any other Diane Diaz: pitching that you want to do for conferences Diane Diaz: or different speaking engagements?
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: I still need to grow that. Um, right now, of course, it's it's the quarter of UCF. And so I've got a lot of time with them this quarter. I'm going as they're getting back into the season, um, the Society of Women Engineers there. I'll be doing a speech for them, the Asme, the mechanical engineering group. I'll be doing something for them, which is near and dear to my heart, helping all of them grow and and just seeing them as they graduate and get out to be these new, brand new engineers out there. So this quarter is really focused on them, um, but also just continuing to apply to other things as well.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Oh, that's so exciting. I also love seeing Diane Diaz: and this a lot of the women that we work with Diane Diaz: do this is they're supporting other up and Diane Diaz: coming women in whatever industry that Diane Diaz: they're in at colleges or in organizations Diane Diaz: like that. And I do that as Carole does that. Diane Diaz: And so we we like to see that as well, Diane Diaz: because it's like inspiring those young Diane Diaz: women, not just in the career field that Diane Diaz: you're that you're in, Diane Diaz: but also they see you speaking to them, Diane Diaz: but then they also will follow you on Diane Diaz: LinkedIn and see that you're speaking. And so Diane Diaz: hopefully they will want to use their voices Diane Diaz: as well. And so we're role modeling hopefully Diane Diaz: that we'll see in them. Diane Diaz: And so more of us sharing our voices just has Diane Diaz: so much more power.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Great.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Yeah I love that. Diane Diaz: Well Elaine, thank you so much for taking the Diane Diaz: time to share with the audience your Diane Diaz: experience working with us and also coming to Diane Diaz: the workshop and your experience with Diane Diaz: speaking and using your voice. Diane Diaz: I really appreciate you taking the time to to Diane Diaz: tell us about that.
Elaine Schomburg-LaFleur: Well, thank you. And I can't thank you and Carol enough for helping me grow. Helping me step out of my comfort zone. Allowing me to meet other women who I get to help support and be a part of. Thank you for all you do. For the women out there who have a lot of great stories to share, and thank you for empowering us.
Diane Diaz: Diane Diaz: Oh well, it is truly our pleasure. Diane Diaz: All right. If you want to work on your talk Diane Diaz: and practice your delivery and storytelling Diane Diaz: with real time, hands on feedback from me and Diane Diaz: from Carol Cox in a supportive environment of Diane Diaz: other women, join us for our in-person Diane Diaz: Speaking Accelerator workshop, Diane Diaz: taking place soon, October 30th. Diane Diaz: You can get all the details and register by Diane Diaz: visiting. Speaking your truth. Diane Diaz: That, again, is speaking your truth. Diane Diaz: Until next time. Diane Diaz: Thanks for listening.