Intro: This is for the sled dogs in the trenches. Real hockey parents, real stories. The Good and the Gong Show. No filters, no sugarcoating, no politics, just straight hockey talk, and the best guests around the barn. Welcome to the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast. Alright, boys. Grind them corners, chirp responsibly, and bring that savage fire.
Jamie: Everybody. Welcome back to episode 67 of the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast powered by Pacific Rink, the unfiltered podcast for hockey parents. No politics, no sugarcoating, just real talk for hockey parents in the trenches. And thank you to BJD for our awesome introduction, buddy. Thank you so know,
Scott: Big John Dangles. Go check my
Jamie: BJD Instagram. Big John Dangles Instagram.
Scott: Instagram. Instagram. Instagram. Instagram.
Jamie: Go check him out. You'll love it. What's up?
Scott: Not much, dude. You're fucking coming in hot today, son. Am I? You're in hot. Hotter than normal? I think so. I think it's the weather.
Jamie: It's nice outside. Yeah. Dude, it's beautiful. It really is nice. It's gonna get a little warm in next couple days here.
Scott: We're in the basement. The Northeast. And it's so nice out. Yeah. I'll tell there's no place I'd rather be right now.
Jamie: Oh, than than podcasting. Yeah. Of course. I mean, of course. That's because I'm here. Yeah.
Scott: That's Listen. Right?
Jamie: No. Sure. Listen. Yeah, so we're gonna do something a little bit different today. We're not gonna do an interview, and Scott and I are gonna carry the whole episode like we used to back in the day. Oof. That's I know, right? Yeah. Scott's like, Wow, we have to carry the whole episode?
Scott: Yeah. Well, it's been a minute. I don't
Jamie: think it's gonna be don't think it's gonna be a problem, by the way.
Scott: No, it's all good. You know? Anyway, well, of the reason is because we had people write in, which is amazing. Thank you, everyone that did. Yes. We appreciate you engaging, writing in, letting us know what you wanted to hear more about, all that good stuff. So we're gonna get into that stuff in a few. We will.
Jamie: But first, shall we do our partners? Let's Is that what you were just gonna say?
Scott: I think so.
Jamie: Howie's Hockey Crazy 10. Check out Howie's Hockey for all your tape, laces, candles, scissors needs. They have some awesome stuff. Their tape's great. I like I said, I say it many times. It's probably the best logo in youth hockey next to ours. So go check out Howie's Hockey for your tape and any accessory needs, plus their clothes are pretty sweet. So use the code CRAZY10 for 10% off your Howie's hockey gear.
Scott: Yes. And let's talk about some off season training, shall we? And everyone should go to hockeytraining.com. Check out coach Kevin. He's got a ton of speed, strength, agility, stick handling, drills that you can do at home, wherever you or your kid does some off ice training. It's got a wealth of information, library, videos that you can do, easy to follow along with. So if you're looking to get some work and reps in off the ice, that's gonna translate to on ice performance. Check out hockeytraining.com.
Jamie: Nice. And then we have Titan Battle Gear. So Scott and I trust our children in Titan Battle Gear. We think it's the best stuff on the market. It's not cheap, but we do spend a lot of money in this game. And how could you not spend money on protecting your kid? Right? Don't take a chance. Go get Titan Battle Gear. They have awesome stuff. The designs are sick. It's the best protection out there as far as we're concerned. So use code crazydads10 at titanbattlegear.com, or just look in our show notes. At the link is titanbattlegear.com backslash Crazy Hockey Dads. And again, use that code for 10% off your Titan Battle Gear.
Scott: Well done, sir. And last but certainly not least, athletic performance insights. So any coaches, managers that are thinking about video review and analytics for your team next year? Pardon me. Wow. I got, like, I feel like some allergies. Well, listen,
Jamie: that's there there's a lot of pollen outside.
Scott: Anyway It's a
Jamie: little rough.
Scott: But, yes, for video analytics and statistics and all those under the hood numbers, check out Athletic Performance Insight. Go to their website. Use the contact form. Reach out to Eric. He'll give you a demo of the platform. She'll be happy to break down the game for free so you can see what the his platform does, and it's used from all youth ages all the way up to college. Yeah. Even as I continue to choke, oh my god. Anyway, check out athleticperformanceinsight.com. Shout out Eric. What's up?
Jamie: Yeah. No. Listen, it's a little rough outside. It's definitely a lot of pollen still
Scott: I don't know.
Jamie: What's coming out of the trees. My car is not happy about it.
Scott: No. Well
Jamie: Yeah. Considering it's black too, so it shows everything. You know? Not a good thing.
Scott: Yeah. Well, you know, you could have worse problems.
Jamie: You're wrong. I shouldn't be complaining about pawing on my car.
Scott: No, you shouldn't.
Jamie: You're not wrong about that. No. But now Otto is actually at hockey right now.
Scott: He is at hockey right now. Sweet. Dropped in for a little skate.
Jamie: Nice. How's that going?
Scott: You know, he's he's just dropped in, like, periodically on the weekends.
Jamie: He's not doing it religiously? He's not No.
Scott: Think it's, like, the third time he's done it.
Jamie: Okay. Nice. Yeah. I gotta tell you, that's that's one of the reasons why I don't sign up for a lot of that stuff anymore, because I noticed myself signing up for all this different shit. Yeah. You know, like when Dominic was younger, I would sign up for all this different spring stuff, and they would all conflict.
Scott: There would be a lot of conflicts. Yeah.
Jamie: They were all on the same day.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: And then, like, and then you and then you wind up looking back, and then you go, okay, like, I paid, like, a thousand dollars for, like, 10 sessions, whatever it is.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: You know, or, like, a thousand dollars for, 12, or thirteen, fourteen, 15 sessions. And you went to, three of them.
Scott: It does happen. Yeah. Happened constantly. Well, it's annoying because a lot of times the dates don't get published until after you have to sign up.
Jamie: You're not wrong.
Scott: So, like, we rolled the dice on a few things for the spring. Everything was on Tuesdays
Jamie: Of course. Always. That's always how it Tuesdays and Thursdays. That's always how it is. It's never like it never lines up so you can hit everything you paid for. Oh. You know, so I'm like, you know what? I'm not so I stopped. Yeah. I've done that seven years.
Scott: Yeah. I don't want well, he missed how many did he miss? I don't know. There's probably like 10 sessions. He probably got to like, maybe it was less than 10.
Jamie: I don't
Scott: know, it doesn't matter. He went to he was there more than half, but
Jamie: Oh, missed a That's not awful. No. Doesn't it suck when you miss?
Scott: Yeah, then that's over now, and so now we have and then, yeah, he doesn't have any more hockey, he's not signed up for anything else hockey right now.
Jamie: He's not?
Scott: No. Nothing that's consistent.
Jamie: Okay. No. Than our our Princeton Ice hockey camp that we got going on? Yeah. I mean,
Scott: right, there's no more team, no more clinic that he's weekly attending. We gotta figure some stuff out, because I know he's been talking about wanting get stronger. Okay. So not necessarily doing things that are on ice, although if you wanted to get some Sure. On ice, fine, but
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah. Work on some off ice stuff.
Jamie: Yeah. Don't get me wrong. Dominic does, like, power skating and stuff like that in the in the summertime, the springsummer. You know, but and then we're doing some, like, college camps that we talked about.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Right? But, like, the the spring team ish stuff that's, two tournaments and, like, 10 practices. I stopped doing that stuff.
Scott: Yeah. There was a tournament popped up and or that was, like, you wanna do it? I was like, not really.
Jamie: Yeah. Right. Right? I mean, he's he's he's running track. He's he's got the mountain
Scott: thing going. But I'm finished up. Mountain biking's going.
Jamie: Track's done?
Scott: Track's done.
Jamie: Wow. I feel like that was really quick. It was very quick.
Scott: Wanna say like been done for
Jamie: three weeks quick. Am I wrong about that?
Scott: You're wrong, but it wasn't that long either. He only had
Jamie: How long
Scott: was it? He only had like three meets.
Jamie: How long was it? It wasn't two months. There's no way that thing was two months.
Scott: Dude, I don't know. That was quick, dude. It was quick.
Jamie: That was really
Scott: quick. And it was done, like, last week, I think. I was done for two weeks. I think it was last week where kids that went to, like, states or whatever, like, the it wasn't states. Whatever, like, the the tour
Jamie: Whatever the meet is. The
Scott: first tournament or
Jamie: the
Scott: first whatever. Right. Some kids from the school went, but he didn't go.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: Got So he's done with that. So basically, the only thing that he's got regularly is mountain biking right now.
Jamie: So let me ask you a question. How much does track cost? Like, what does what does track cost somebody for a for a spring?
Scott: I don't know.
Jamie: Oh, got it.
Scott: Yeah. Don't know that it I don't even know if it costs anything. Seriously? I don't know.
Jamie: School? Yeah. Oh, so not like a club thing?
Scott: No. Oh. No. It was middle school track.
Jamie: Oh, that's worth it. That's a home run then.
Scott: Yeah, but here's something that was funny, speaking of like how much it would cost. Right. So they gave them like t shirts for their uniform. Like that was
Jamie: That reminds me of like rec baseball.
Scott: Sure. Back in
Jamie: the day.
Scott: So imagine that.
Jamie: Right? That's what reminds me of, like, rec baseball.
Scott: Right. Totally.
Jamie: Or rec basketball.
Scott: Rec basketball. 100%.
Jamie: Exactly right. All those different colors, like brown, white, black, blue.
Scott: Did you play did you play rec in high school? Oh. I did for a hot second. Did you?
Jamie: Yeah. For what sport? Basketball. You played rec basketball in high school?
Scott: For like for like one
Jamie: I didn't even know you could do that. I played high school basketball in high school, but I didn't play rec.
Scott: No. There was a rec.
Jamie: Are you sure? I mean They had rec basketball freshman?
Scott: There was high school. Yeah. 100% it was a wreck. Dude, it
Jamie: was Through the town we grew up in?
Scott: No. No. This was in Wyckoff.
Jamie: It was through that town? Really? I did not know that. Yeah. Was it outdoors at the
Scott: No, it was indoors.
Jamie: No shit.
Scott: Went to elementary school.
Jamie: Seriously? Yeah. I did not know that, buddy. How was it? Unreal. It was good? Yeah. You had fun?
Scott: Yeah. I mean, was fun. It was like you'd get, like, you know, friends would go there and show up and, like, watch and hang it.
Jamie: For a big man, you used to be able to shoot from the outside. You could stroke the three from out there. I mean You had a decent shot for
Scott: a big man.
Jamie: Most big men can't shoot from long You had shot
Scott: at In terms of not exactly a big man, so let's start with that.
Jamie: In high school, you were a big man. Okay. So Six What? Three, four?
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. You're not a small man.
Scott: Okay. Fine.
Jamie: Yeah. Not in NBA standards and college standards, but in high school standards, you were not you're a big man.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: You know? Yeah.
Scott: But I didn't really basketball wasn't like, know, just shooting around was fine and, like, playing out.
Jamie: No, no.
Scott: But I I remember I got my I didn't know that. So when I was a kid, when we played right basketball as children, I was like, as far I think once I played on a travel team. Right. Maybe middle school ish time.
Jamie: Right. Okay.
Scott: But I remember I was at sleepaway camp
Jamie: and Right. One
Scott: one, like, I signed up for basketball. Was a sports camp, so you do like different sports throughout the day. Yeah, exactly.
Jamie: I went there too.
Scott: And so You know, I must have been
Jamie: there for were they at the same time?
Scott: Probably. Yeah, I
Jamie: was gonna say. Why can't we remember that,
Scott: by the way?
Jamie: That's awful we can't
Scott: remember because we're older and that was many years ago.
Jamie: Because, yeah, still, we should know that we're there. I'm pretty sure we're in the same
Scott: buck, dude. That's yeah.
Jamie: Think so. Yes. Yes. I think we were. Anyway
Scott: So, anyway, so I was playing basketball, and it was outdoors, and you know like that it's like now I know it for like babies. Yeah. There's like, you know, like butt cream. Like, Desitin is like the brand name of like, I think of
Jamie: No, I I cream you put on like babies that I'm aware of what it is.
Scott: Okay. Did
Jamie: you need it as an adult? Is that
Scott: what No, listen. So so one of the kids that we're playing
Jamie: Where are we going with this?
Scott: Let me finish.
Jamie: I'm so curious where you're going with this.
Scott: Let me finish. So, the one kid I was playing against had it under his arms, I guess, to like, you know, I guess he was like or whatever.
Jamie: Oh, okay.
Scott: And he was also center, and he went up for a rebound, and he like armpit smeared my face. Oh,
Jamie: and he got the fucking cream in your mouth?
Scott: It was like, I I almost I didn't know what to do. Was I so that honestly put the nail in the coffin on my interest in basketball.
Jamie: You're done with this fucking sport. Fuck.
Scott: Not a chance. I'm going through that again. So It's so disgusting. It was so disgusting.
Jamie: So funny that you said that. Have you ever seen the movie Along Came Polly?
Scott: Yes. But I'm not gonna remember.
Jamie: Okay. It's with Ben Stiller.
Scott: Yeah, that's when he was like an insurance adjuster
Jamie: or something. Correct. Yes. Right. And Jennifer Aniston's in
Scott: it. Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. And in the beginning of the in the beginning sort of toward the beginning of it, he's playing two on two Yeah. Outside, and like, I I guess they're are they in Manhattan? Major Yeah, city they're they're outside playing, and who's the other guy in the movie? Look it up me, please.
Scott: Oh my God, why? Your fingers all still But
Jamie: because I'm talking, I can't talk at the same time. So, wanna say Jack Black, it's not Jack Black, it's the other dude. It's his name's Sandy Lyle in the actual movie. Help me. Really good actor, was in Boogie Nights. Goddamn it. He was the gay guy at Boogie Nights. God, what's his name? I wanna say John Favreau. It's so not right. I know it's not Favreau.
Scott: Ben Stiller. Ben? Oh, Philip Seymour Hoffman. RIP. Yes.
Jamie: Yes. You're not kidding. He he's a really good actor. Yes. So Philip Seymour Hoffman is plays Sandy Lyle, his buddy.
Scott: Yep. Kevin Hart was in that movie.
Jamie: Was he really? As what? Vic. Why do I not remember Kevin Hart in that movie? Anyway, Alec Baldwin's really funny in that movie, by the way. Like like, one of the funniest scenes in the entire which I think I've said to you before, is when
Scott: we've Hank Azaria.
Jamie: So so, yeah.
Scott: Think Trevor Messing.
Jamie: There's there's some very, very good actors in that. Yeah. Alec Baldwin is is the owner of the insurance company, and Ben Stiller's, like, his his main, like, guy, like, risk assessment guy. Yeah. Right? So Ben Stiller, like, Ben Siller gets called into Alec Baldwin's office. Yeah. And he's like and they were talking. He's like he's like he's like, you know, give me a second. He's like, I just gotta go hit the men's room. He's like, I'll join you. So he goes with him in the men's room to Ben Siller standing at the urinal, and and Alp Bowman stands next to him. And like and and and like and like rips ass. Like like like right? And then like and he's he's obviously holding his junk, and then and then the camera's behind them. Yeah. So he reaches over, and he like starts playing with his earlobe, and then he puts his hand back on his dick. And he's like, Mazel Mazel, good things. Mazel Mazel, good things? I I say it all the time now because it's one of the funniest lines ever. Mazel Mazel, good things. But he's playing with his earlobe after he's touching his junk. You could see Ben Philler. You could see Ben's, like, wipe his ear on his on his on his on his jacket, like, on his on his, like, on his shoulders.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: But but where where where I why I even got in this movie at at, you know, in the first place was Mhmm. Is that so Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ben Stiller playing two on two in the very beginning.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: And and they were, I guess, would play, like, shirts and skins. So the dude takes his shirt off, and he's like just this hairy gorilla. Right? Totally. Right? And he goes in, he goes up for a rebound, and Ben So's face just goes right into his armpit.
Scott: That was like pretty much what happened to me, except this kid had desiccants smeared all under his arm.
Jamie: That's even worse, by the It was gross. Yeah. Yeah. Did you like yeah. No way. No. It was gross. That's that I see why you were I see why you were grossed out. Upset. You're like, I'm dumped this sport.
Scott: Fucking done.
Jamie: You're like, give me a sport where I don't have to check out some dude's armpits and what he puts on his armpits. Pretty gross, by the way. Desitin under the arm?
Scott: Yeah, dude.
Jamie: Yikes. Is that what it does? Does that's for chafing or something like that? I guess that makes sense because when when Tom Yeah.
Scott: I'm not saying it was like a poor decision to like remedy the thing, but it was it was unfortunate. It went all on my face.
Jamie: It's unfortunate when you get in contact with it.
Scott: Dude, I promise you, if you Oh, I'm sure.
Jamie: You change your kids, when they're Thank God, I don't have to do that anymore, by the way.
Scott: My God.
Jamie: Like, that is something I do not miss
Scott: as a parent. No. You know what I mean? I don't think that ever bothered me, really.
Jamie: Although, I must say, I said I don't want my kids to be like toddlers again, but I have to tell you, Dominic is in the age where I want to choke him. That 14 year old age, I just want to absolutely it's an awful age for boys. I don't know what girls are like because I don't have girls. Yeah. But boys, my God.
Scott: 14.
Jamie: Especially like like high like higher end athlete boys who are like like type a Yeah. And like a huge pain in the ass. Like, I just wanna choke him right now.
Scott: Well, I'm sure that's you're gonna have that for a few more years, dude.
Jamie: Nancy's like, you guys are like you guys just butt heads all the time. Because he's he's being a dick, I don't like when he's being a dick. Yeah. So, I call him out on it.
Scott: Listen, Otto has had there's definitely been corners turned also in this house.
Jamie: It's hard.
Scott: For sure. You know what? Otto. Otto. Someone's an awful age.
Jamie: I can't believe he's like 21. Dude, so Otto I say that now, but I
Scott: wouldn't want Listen, Otto got in trouble. There was a He was with a classmate. Boy. There's three of
Jamie: them. Right.
Scott: And so what happened was Otto and his friend got sent down to the principal's office.
Jamie: Recently? Hey, listen. Oh, boy.
Scott: They were like disrupting the class in the back. Talking. Well, laughing. Laughing. And then, they're in the principal's office explaining explaining their situation. Oh, boy. And principal gets a call from like the teacher in the classroom and basically said, no, the kids are off the hook. Is, you know, this other boy in the class, like, was the one that kinda, like, did whatever it was, and then they were just laughing. It wasn't, like, really their fault. Right. So so Otto and his buddy get out of it, but then so Otto tells a story, yeah, so, like, what was so funny? Like, why were you laughing so hard that you, like, And he's like, we were playing we were playing Smasher Pass.
Jamie: Come on. We were
Scott: playing Smasher Pass. Come on. And this kid put on this like this
Jamie: As sixth graders? What grade's Yeah.
Scott: Uh-huh. Uh-huh. And they
Jamie: With like celebrities or like No.
Scott: Laughing because he's like because the kid had put like, first of all, the kid had his phone out, which was like, he shouldn't have had his phone out
Jamie: in middle
Scott: of class. Right. Right. But then he put then it was like it was some like YouTube input. It might as well have been like a grandma. You know what I mean? It was like It
Jamie: was showing the pictures?
Scott: Opposite and it caught them off guard and they like
Jamie: They all started laughing.
Scott: They both started dying.
Jamie: Oh, Jesus Christ. I'm telling you. They're playing wow. Smash or pass. They play that in sixth grade? Yes. Did we do that shit?
Scott: Probably. We probably did.
Jamie: I'm not right about that. Yeah. Now, speaking of like classroom stuff, do you remember the story I told you about Dominic when the teacher caught the note that was being passed around class when he was in school?
Scott: What? The the one this was this year? No. This is back in the day? Was it was it a paper airplane that was thrown? Do you remember that? I will never forget You
Jamie: know what was on it? Yeah. Okay. Tell a story.
Scott: So one of Dominic's classmates Yep. Had thrown a paper airplane, and Another kid. Had another kid, and
Jamie: And the teacher saw it and picked it
Scott: and opened it, and and the paper airplane said, fuck you, bitch.
Jamie: Fuck you, bitch. And it wasn't directed at the at the teacher.
Scott: It wasn't directed
Jamie: at another kid.
Scott: That was I I would never forget that.
Jamie: No. Me neither, by the way. It's one of the funniest things.
Scott: You throw another you throw a paper airplane at someone and just says, fuck
Jamie: you, bitch. I mean, it's like, yeah. I mean That's funny. Like we're talking about kids. Kids
Scott: Yeah. But how but the the part of so that might sound
Jamie: like They
Scott: were young. But that's the thing. That's also the thing that's They were super that made it funnier. Yeah. It's not because it's not like They were probably funniest thing I've heard.
Jamie: Fourth or fifth grade.
Scott: They were like in like fourth Yeah, man.
Jamie: Yeah. They were young. They they were yes. They were young.
Scott: It was so inappropriate for that age.
Jamie: Tom's classmate threw a sentiment into one of his other classmates and yeah.
Scott: So good.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Then, of course, the teacher grabbed it too. Do remember those days when the teacher should find notes and stuff you're passing around? If
Scott: I think back on some of the behavior that happened in high school classrooms, so I had a friend. I had a friend. I still have a friend. I just don't talk to him that much. Right. But he there was, I think, a substitute, and they were all, like, misbehaving with the substitute. Oh,
Jamie: That's the choice of the
Scott: And it was in a think, in a physics or in a chem chem lab. Right. There was they had they had, like, stainless steel or like metal bowls, like that was like part of what was in the classroom for whatever reason. And so my buddy was wearing it on his head. He put it on his head like a hat. Right? And then so he's already just like sitting there like a moron, right, with this like metal bowl on his head. Right. And then he asked the the teacher if they'd ever been to Hawaii. And and I think the substitute teacher said yes. And then my friend said, did you happen to go to the island to wanna lick my dicky?
Jamie: No, he didn't.
Scott: Yes. Wanna lick my dicky.
Jamie: No, he did not. He sent it to Sub?
Scott: Wearing wearing a metal hat. I mean, a
Jamie: metal a metal ball. Does she send him down?
Scott: 100%.
Jamie: She has
Scott: to have. And then the the funniest part about the story is that the principal thought it was funny.
Jamie: I mean, it is funny. It it is fun. Those are the times where as a parent, like, many times do your kid do something and you and your wife start cracking up, you have to turn away?
Scott: Because right. Because you don't wanna reinforce that No.
Jamie: It's not you can't let them know that you're like that you're that you find it really funny, but because it's a serious thing, so you have to, like, obviously parent, but you're dying inside or on the outside and just kind of turning away. Nancy and I turn away from our kids so much because we're like, I'm gonna call you shit, can't believe you said that. Shit's funny, man. Some of this shit's great.
Scott: It's so funny.
Jamie: I'm like, he actually said that to a substitute teacher.
Scott: Yeah, that's not That takes
Jamie: balls, dude.
Scott: Isn't that amazing?
Jamie: That's it's something. I mean, wouldn't have the stones to say that to a teacher in my
Scott: I said I
Jamie: never did that shit.
Scott: Oh, man. Oh, man. My daughter needs more screen time. How am I going to swing this one?
Jamie: You know, we Oh, she does. You know what we used to do?
Scott: We used
Jamie: to I wanna say this is like fifth grade. We we had this we had this teacher, Mrs. Shortino. She's probably Wait.
Scott: Did she have a a child in the school district?
Jamie: Don't remember. She was at she was at
Scott: That sounds so familiar.
Jamie: You were you were not in my you and I went to different elementary. Same town, different elementary.
Scott: Yeah. But I was in I was in yours for three years.
Jamie: You were? That's right. I forgot. My bad. I think you I thought she she was fifth grade. I thought you moved out before that.
Scott: I did. I thought moved So maybe that's why I just
Jamie: made it into town the before that.
Scott: No. I did. Be yeah. Was in third
Jamie: grade. Because who do we have? We have missus Ford in first grade.
Scott: Miss Anderson.
Jamie: Miss Anderson in second grade. Don't remember third grade.
Scott: Third grade, I was out by
Jamie: the Oh, you were out? Okay. Gotcha.
Scott: I remember sitting in
Jamie: Shortino was fifth.
Scott: Fifth? Okay. That's when I remember the name.
Jamie: I wanna say Prior was the other fifth grade teacher, if I remember that correctly, or was he sixth grade? Whatever that so this missus Shortino was a ball buster. Okay? And I remember that so we had this thing, you know those, like, those big erasers? Those those, like, rectangular erasers Yep. Are, like, slanted on the ends?
Scott: That are slanted on
Jamie: the ends. Yeah. They're slanted on the ends. Old school Okay.
Scott: Oh, wait. The rubber erasers? Yeah. I know what you're
Jamie: talking Not not the ones on the end of a pencil.
Scott: I thought you were talking about the ones for, like, the chalkboard.
Jamie: No. No. No. No erasers for, like, from to to erase pencil mark. Mhmm. So we would get all these erasers, and we would break them off into little pieces when So annoying. When she wasn't looking, when she was at, like, the chalkboard, the blackboard, we would be winging these things across the room.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah.
Jamie: Dude, I mean, like, constantly. And you'd hear them hitting the bulletin boards and the windows behind us because our our room was shaped like a big U.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah.
Jamie: So she would kind of stand at the front and kind of walk around the inside.
Scott: Yeah. There must have been like Dude? Like friendly fire accidents.
Jamie: 100% there was. Innocent
Scott: kids are going home with welts
Jamie: on It their started with that. Oh, a 100%. And it started with that and gravitated toward when she would turn around toward the toward the board, we would take pencils and throw them at the ceiling Oh my goodness. And try to get them stuck. The good old days.
Scott: Dude, but now kids are sitting in front of they're like, Ada's got a Chromebook in every class. I don't know how they how how anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me. Because they they have full access. It's not like their computers are limited to only, like, Google Classroom or whatever the f. Mean, their kids are literally sitting there in classroom watching YouTube. They're allowed to have their computer open and sit there and look at it.
Jamie: It's it is bananas. So it's funny you said that because Totally bananas. Dominic's school is very similar.
Scott: Not okay.
Jamie: The academy he goes to, they have their computers open all day long.
Scott: Not okay.
Jamie: And there are kids that that have other things open. There's kids that have that have a controller and are playing video games.
Scott: I'm sure I'm
Jamie: it's you not.
Scott: Dude, I was watching Otto the other day. He was
Jamie: mean, it's I would fucking torch my kid if he got caught doing that shit. I would kill him.
Scott: Dude, hold on.
Jamie: My child would no longer be alive. Right. Obviously, I'm joking, but you know the point.
Scott: Yeah. You'd be furious. Yeah. So this this literally happened like two nights ago. So I guess they have state testing starting next week, the NJSLAs.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: And so the the school gave them like study materials, and so Otto is is is is not the type that's dying to study, I can assure you. Understood. So he'll he's the kind of kid that's gonna, you know, get things done. Yeah. You know, he he goes for least amount of effort. Speed speed and efficiency.
Jamie: Understood. Call it. Yes. Well, that's well done, by
Scott: the way. That's well done. Efficiency is what he prioritizes.
Jamie: Understood. Comic too.
Scott: And so
Jamie: I get that. I think I
Scott: So he to me, like, so I come home from work, and he was downstairs, and I had gotten home. Orly was out with whatever, with Noah, not whatever, my daughter.
Jamie: Her name is Noah.
Scott: Otto's like, I'm gonna go study for the NJ SLAs, and he goes up and he takes his computer upstairs. I'm like, dude, what do you think you're doing? I'm like, you're going to study. You have your computer. You're going to watch YouTube. Just stay down here. He goes, no. I'm really gonna study. I wanna do well on them. And I was like, okay. I'm sure you do wanna do well. Yeah. Sure. But he goes, I'll come down in thirty minutes and then I'll watch the game with you. And I was like, dude, why don't you just sit down here? He goes, well, you're watching the game. And he's like, mom lets me do my homework in my room. I'm like, well, that's a mistake, but That is
Jamie: a mistake, by the way.
Scott: I was like, alright, fine. So then he go, whatever. So that was like three nights ago. Then two nights ago, he goes to me, we're sitting down at the dinner table and behind there's windows behind where he sits at the And he's like he's like he had asked for more screen time and my wife was like, no. And then he's like, alright,
Jamie: I'm gonna
Scott: study for the NJSLAs again. At the table. At the table while he's eating, and he's
Jamie: I see where this is going.
Scott: And I look over his shoulder, and the moment he says, I'm studying for the NJ SLAs, I look over and the YouTube's going.
Jamie: Of course.
Scott: And the reflection.
Jamie: Of course.
Scott: And then I just let it and I go, Otto, I go, why why don't you test me on NJ SLAs? What question? He's like and then you see him, you know, like, kinda like
Jamie: Close the tab. He's got another one.
Scott: And and then he goes to it, and then okay, so then he asked me a question, and then he and then he's like, alright, he got got his food, and then and then I see him, he flips right back, and I'm like, dude, stop it. I see it in the reflection. You're watching YouTube. Why I don't believe it when you say you're going
Jamie: to 100%.
Scott: You can understand when you get very defensive. You're just like, no, that's really what I'm doing. No, no, no.
Jamie: It isn't what you're
Scott: doing. I'm like, because it's I'm not like, there's there's not not a chance. Yeah.
Jamie: You're like, I'm not
Scott: You're not you're not going upstairs to study And then
Jamie: think we're why why do they think we're stupid, by the way? Stupid? I'm like, was born at night, just wasn't last night, bud. Yeah. You know? That's
Scott: that's that's funny.
Jamie: You know? You like that?
Scott: Yeah. That's good. I'm gonna use that.
Jamie: Yeah. I've used it for years. Yeah. Yeah. Like but like, I don't know why they think we're like, we've done all the shit you're doing, and then some.
Scott: 100%.
Jamie: And then some. Like, you think you're a fucking pro? Like, you've seen jack shit yet, buddy.
Scott: Not even a little bit.
Jamie: You know, like, not even close. Like, and yet and yet they and they they do with a fucking straight face.
Scott: Totally. And you know what you know what's interesting though about this though, that with kids nowadays
Jamie: Mhmm.
Scott: Is that we the stuff that like, okay. So when we were kids, if we were gonna, like, you know, go be like fools and do whatever, like, lot of times we're just like out out in town. Yeah. You know? Yeah. We're we're not, like, we're not leaving digital footprints everywhere. I'm like, the amount of, like the the amount the kids have to be like either so savvy or there has to be such little oversight Yeah. Because if you really wanted to, you could go into your history. You could go into like Yes. Know, their history. We our our son knows that we read his text messages.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. I read I read Doms too.
Scott: You know, so it's like Yeah. Absolutely. If you really think you're gonna like be getting away with stuff, like, I don't know.
Jamie: I don't know.
Scott: What do you think you're gonna be doing?
Jamie: I I don't I don't I don't know. Maybe they just don't care. I'm trying think what we were like when we were younger, like, did we we just not care?
Scott: We should have we we got in trouble doing different things. Yeah. Playing with matches.
Jamie: Just flipping over garbage trucks. Yeah. Playing with matches, burning burning down playgrounds.
Scott: Setting fire to real objects.
Jamie: Oh my god. Should we tell both those stories and then move on? Sure. Oh my god. Which one should we start with?
Scott: Yeah. I mean, so I will let's start with yours because that happened first.
Jamie: Then Listen folks, don't be so hard on your kids.
Scott: So let me let me start this story Let's because I'll tell you what happened. This is coincidence, but I would There's
Jamie: there's there's a start to it? I don't know this part.
Scott: So I had gone to the mall with my mom.
Jamie: Okay. So you're giving this to me from like your point of view. My point of view. Got it. So so Got it. Got it.
Scott: Got it. We had gone to the mall Yes. And we got off at at your exit off of the the highway, and I was driving up your road.
Jamie: Did you witness it?
Scott: And I look at As we're passing the school Oh,
Jamie: I never knew this.
Scott: Mom, look, there's like a ton of black smoke, like there's a fire. And we just kept driving, we went home.
Jamie: Oh my goodness gracious.
Scott: Little later do we find out that what what happened over there.
Jamie: So, alright. So let let so Scott and I for context purposes that for you for you you new listeners. So Scott and I have known each other since we're very young. Alright? And grew up in the same town. Went to the same elementary school. Scott left at you left third grade.
Scott: Third grade.
Jamie: To to to an elementary school on the other side of our town. Right. Alright? But we we've been very close for a very long time. So Scott knows this the elementary school that I was in because he was in there when we were in the first couple grades, like kindergarten, first, second. So the school was down the street from me. I could walk there. Yes. I walked down a hill to get there. Yeah. Okay. So it was me and two other buddies, and we had a lighter. Okay? And you're like we I think we're in I'm pretty sure we're in fifth grade.
Scott: Fifth grade. That sounds right.
Jamie: Yeah. Pretty sure it was fifth grade. So and we were just like mischievous kids. We weren't like there was no malice intent behind it. It was like like, you know when you light like like you find a lighter and you light like like dry leaves on fire. Yeah. Right? And then they go out and you're good. Like you stop. So you light like a
Scott: leaf As long as there's no more dry leaves or other flammable objects around Obviously, those dry
Jamie: it was it was obviously like the fall, so there was a lot of dry leaves on the ground. And we walked down to because our elementary school was pretty cool, like it was like a big open parking lot which we used to put rollerblade in, remember that? Yeah. We used rollerblade and play roller hockey. Yeah. Right? We used rollerblade and ride our bikes, then around the back of the school, was a basketball court with an awesome jump that we used to jump off with our bikes, and then further back was a baseball diamond, two baseball diamonds, a softball and baseball diamond, and then there was this awesome, and it really was an insane playground.
Scott: It was pretty cool.
Jamie: It was all huge, like, monster truck tires.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: These massive tires that were all, like, bolted together, bolted and chain linked together.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: And it was sick. There was like a two story castle, and it big, and it had like two bridges going across to the other I'm talking like monster truck tires, like enormous, big dump truck, which holds major boulder tires. Right. Like, you could fit, like, I don't even know how many people They
Scott: were huge.
Jamie: They were massive. Right? So it was this and then there was like a pyramid, and they were all tires bolted together, so you climb in them, you're inside them, you're on top of them, it was awesome. Was probably one of the sickest playgrounds that I've ever seen, And it was old, it was there for a very long time. So, me and my two classmates at the time, we were kind of backed by the because the tire playground was so cool, so you're back there hanging out, you're and then, like, a lot of the dry leaves were like they were
Scott: They fallen to the wells of the tires.
Jamie: They were falling into the wells of the tires. Right. Correct. Right. There was a lot of leaves in the the wells of these tires that were kinda standing up bolted together. So, I don't even remember who it was. One of us lit lit one or lit one and the entire fucking thing went up in fucking flames. Like, we were fucking scared shitless. Like so obviously
Scott: You moron.
Jamie: Not known to us at the time, but tires are made from petroleum products. When they're older Yeah. These tires are very flammable. So, as far as I'm concerned, we did the school a favor because that was a fire hazard. So we unearthed a fire hazard, and we showed them that it was a problem before anybody else got hurt.
Scott: That was you were really
Jamie: I am reaching big
Scott: They should have given you, like,
Jamie: a They should have given us a medal. They shouldn't have gotten angry at us. We stayed we we we showed them that their playground was a fire hazard.
Scott: Yeah. That they had not taken the proper precautions.
Jamie: Seriously, what are you doing? You're letting kids around these dangerous objects? They
Scott: didn't get sued.
Jamie: They are lucky. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, they should have passed us through the rest of our our grammar school and moved us on the middle.
Scott: School. A 100%. Right? Yes. Based on like pure, like, thoughtfulness Right. And like you were just really
Jamie: Danger prevention? Yeah. I mean, we were just talking about along came poly. I mean, was risk involved in this playground. Yes. This was dangerous. What if the kids were playing on it and and and they
Scott: They're they're they
Jamie: accidentally bolt of lightning hit it, set it on fire, and somebody gotten hurt. As far as I'm concerned, we did a public service.
Scott: Well, listen. Well done to you.
Jamie: Hey, listen. So so yeah, so the entire so moral long story short, the the entire and the moral is do not play with fire. Don't. But but long story short, the whole entire playground went up and flamed. And it went up quickly too. It was we were we were scared shitless. Who was the most scared? I don't know, but the three of us were scared shitless.
Scott: I don't know why that that's even interesting to me.
Jamie: We were scared shitless. We ran to my house. We like swore not to say anything. And I have to tell you, my mother knew. My mother came home from work day, she said, what'd you do? I'm like, nothing.
Scott: So how'd she know?
Jamie: She, like
Scott: She had a sixth sense
Jamie: about it? Kept coming after me until I was like,
Scott: yo. She must have been on something. She must have been on to something.
Jamie: My mother is my mother has ESPN ESPN. Heather just knows. She just knows stuff. She came home and she knew that I was involved.
Scott: You know why? Because her favorite lighter was missing.
Jamie: I don't I'm
Scott: not even sure.
Jamie: Was it hers? It might have been.
Scott: It might have been.
Jamie: I honestly don't know. My mother did smoke cigarettes at the time. So, there lighters were abundant. I'm just saying,
Scott: her favorite.
Jamie: It's very possible.
Scott: That's why.
Jamie: But I have to tell you, I was a really good kid. I really didn't do much of anything else.
Scott: No. You got that out of your system.
Jamie: Yeah. We we got but we got in trouble. I think we had to go in They had
Scott: do, like, community service.
Jamie: We had to go in.
Scott: They had clean, like, the school We
Jamie: to go in for entire month of July. And we were with the janitors, we cleaned the entire Was
Scott: that a good experience?
Jamie: In what way?
Scott: I mean, what did you learn anything?
Jamie: Well, learned not to do that. No. I know. But, like You clearly learned No.
Scott: Working with the janitor for the day when you were a kid, did you learn anything interesting about what he does?
Jamie: It was work. You know? I I came out with an appreciation to how hard it was to clean a school. Did you?
Scott: For real?
Jamie: It's hard. Yep. It's time consuming and hard. There's a lot goes into it.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. Like, waxing the floors. I mean, we did yes. It was a lot.
Scott: You got to use the waxing machine?
Jamie: No. But, you know, a lot goes into it.
Scott: What What the hell they let you guys do?
Jamie: You think they let, like, a 10 year old use a waxing machine? Can you imagine that? We would've been surfing on it down the hall.
Scott: You you created a five alarm fire.
Jamie: So It was it was a it was a bad fire. It was. The whole fucking playground went up in flames. It was awful. But listen, as far as I'm concerned, I did a public service.
Scott: Yeah. Well, you've
Jamie: I unearthed a hazard.
Scott: You didn't unearth anything.
Jamie: We, the three of us, unearthed a hazard. Okay. Scott, now tell the dump truck story.
Scott: The dump truck story? That was funny. So now fast so that was fifth grade.
Jamie: Fast This forward to like is like fifteenth grade. For sophomore no. I had my license. It was more than it was like it was I just got my license.
Scott: Yeah. So, I literally
Jamie: just got like that day or the day before I just got my license.
Scott: And so, you'd pick me up I did. And we were going into town. Yes. And part of going into town involves going around a roundabout A rotary. Circle. A rotary.
Jamie: Yeah. For you Massachusetts Massachusetts people, it's a rotary. A rotary. We just called it
Scott: a circle. And this rotary only had stop signs on two sides of it, and then the other two would just have the kind of the right of way.
Jamie: You would pull up to it, So were pulled up to a stop. But
Scott: not from every direction, only from two sides. Correct. And so, we were at the side where you needed to stop. Correct. And you would come to a stop. I did. And a dump truck rolls up behind us Correct. And starts honking on its horn.
Jamie: He did.
Scott: And then you go I did. And make it through the circle
Jamie: Yep.
Scott: And you make a left into the shopping center.
Jamie: Oh, Oh, no. Hold on. He was honking. Yeah. There's more. You're yeah. You're fast forward.
Scott: Yeah. Okay. Skipped the most important
Jamie: Yes, you did. As he's honking definitely did.
Scott: As he's honking, I put my finger out the window and I flipped him off.
Jamie: Yes, you did.
Scott: I flipped off the driver because he was honking because we came to a stop. So
Jamie: we had pulled into a shopping center which we normally get our haircut.
Scott: Uh-huh.
Jamie: And Scott puts his middle finger up and flips this guy off, and this guy got so angry that he tried to bang a very hard, sharp left.
Scott: With a dump truck.
Jamie: With a fucking dump truck. And needless to say
Scott: It goes up on two wheels, and then the dump truck flipped over on
Jamie: its side. The fucking and and the last thing Scott and I see as we're now, I'm like flooring it through the parking lot. Just get out of And the last thing Scott and I see in the rearview is this fucking guy getting out of the
Scott: Cause it fell it fell on the drive the passenger side. So he's climbing He's
Jamie: climbing out of the fucking window. Like straight, like, yeah. Fucking laid this thing on its side.
Scott: Can you imagine having to tell your boss
Jamie: Bro.
Scott: I flipped the dump truck because I got flipped off
Jamie: Oh, some so
Scott: teenagers gave me the middle finger.
Jamie: It was fucking and and and and then and then so that and right where it happened is where Scott and I used to get our haircut. Yeah. There's a Starbucks there now. There's the haircut guy who used to cut our hair is still there, by way.
Scott: Let's go see Dave.
Jamie: He's still there, which is fucking phenomenal. I saw him recently. So this is the guy who cut all of our hair when we were kids in town. He's still there, which is wild. His daughter's there with him too now. See even more
Scott: Wow.
Jamie: Yeah. She works there too. So so, yes, this guy laid his fucking dump truck down in the parking lot. And, like, we so we go back, like, later, once everything was cleaned up, once once everything was gone. And we go into the haircuts, we're like we're like, yeah, what happened? Like, heard there was like a big commotion. Like, what what what was going on? Like, what happened there?
Scott: I don't know. Tongue chop flipped over.
Jamie: But and again, Scott and I were actually really good kids when we were younger.
Scott: Yeah. We were in we were
Jamie: in Sometimes.
Scott: Unless we did stupid stuff, but, you know, anyway, that was that was amazing.
Jamie: So here's my question. What would you do if your kid, I. E, burned down a entire playground or Holy shit. Or came home and found out that a fucking dump truck had flipped over on
Scott: his The dump truck part is like, I mean, I would just be like, dude, listen, the the road rage stuff is like, you you just Not a good idea. I wouldn't be that pissed if you, you know, you flip someone off while you're driving, I mean, whatever. And that would actually be a funny story. And I'd be like, you know, when I was a kid, I did the same, but
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: You know, the
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: I don't know, I wouldn't encourage my kid to flip people off because quite honestly, you never know how people, you know Will react. Like, the people do some crazy shit.
Jamie: They sure do. I mean, that was probably
Scott: Which I feel is more prevalent nowadays than when we were kids.
Jamie: I think that's probably true. You know. I think it's probably different. I think back then was Definitely. A little safer.
Scott: A little safer to be a maniac down the road. Less safe nowadays.
Jamie: Yes. But Yeah. At least for some funny stories.
Scott: The fire part, that's scary. I would not respond very positively.
Jamie: No, I'm sure I wouldn't either. And my parents did not at the time.
Scott: Yeah. I don't know.
Jamie: Yeah. It didn't go so well for me at that moment in my life. Know,
Scott: so I think
Jamie: I was grounded for quite some time.
Scott: There was a was a time, so then also in high school, I
Jamie: We all do dumb shit. All these parents are listening to this right now, they're going, holy fuck, I did this, this, So, this,
Scott: I was it was in high school, I'd gotten a fake ID.
Jamie: Right.
Scott: And I was with some friends and I would try to buy beer at a liquor store. I actually drove by it not too long ago. And
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: And when we pulled in
Jamie: It's a local liquor store?
Scott: Yeah. And not not in the town that we grew up. But Okay. So, anyway, we had pulled
Jamie: Did it say McLovin?
Scott: What? McLovin? No. Why? Should I know that?
Jamie: You Your fake ID didn't say McLovin?
Scott: No.
Jamie: Oh, bro. You fucking totally missed it. Everybody's cursing at you right now listening to this. Bro, McLovin was from Superbad. It was his fake ID.
Scott: I saw Superbad.
Jamie: And it just says and he isn't in first name. It's just McLovin. I look at his fake ID. You don't see dude, you need to fucking watch Superbad then. I think it's Superbad because it keep on your story, McLovin.
Scott: So so we we pulled into the into the parking lot, and apparently, which I found out later, a cop had like, you know, saw us kids like pulling into like the spot in front of the liquor store. He did. And he decided from across the street He watching you. Pulled out his binoculars and watched what happened and saw me try to buy beer. So we didn't we didn't get anything. It didn't work. But I still had the ID. Anyway, so we started driving away.
Jamie: Was it from like Hawaii or like Aska? I Where was your ID from? Most of them were out of state. I honestly don't remember. Most of those piece of shit IDs were not in state.
Scott: No. I I Illinois. Tennessee or something.
Jamie: Okay. Yeah, remember. Yeah. I've seen like Hawaii. Yeah, go ahead.
Scott: In any event, so so the so we get pulled over.
Jamie: Right. Oh, he followed you out of the liquor
Scott: store. You know
Jamie: Out of the parking lot.
Scott: We've he followed us out of the parking lot, and and he came over to my side, and whatever he says, you know, I saw what happened. Well, you know, come with me, you know, go to the police station.
Jamie: He brought you in?
Scott: Yeah. And
Jamie: No shit.
Scott: Nothing has happened, but we so I sat down, I'm in the police station, I'm sitting at, like, you know, at the desk or whatever, and he says to me, you know something? He goes, you're SOL. And I was like, oh my god. You're like I was like, I don't know what the fuck that is. What a I was like, SOL, that's gotta be really bad. I was like, I've never even heard of that before. And goes
Jamie: your shit out of luck.
Scott: And I was like, I don't know if I should feel better or worse right now.
Jamie: Yeah, you're like,
Scott: Tom. I think I feel better.
Jamie: You think he's just trying to scare the shit out of you?
Scott: Yeah. I ended up my parents came and picked me up and it wasn't a problem.
Jamie: Well, I mean, it wasn't a problem for him, but it was a problem for you when you got home?
Scott: Oh, yeah. My parents weren't thrilled.
Jamie: I'm sure.
Scott: Not thrilled at all and, yeah, that was not great.
Jamie: No, McLovin. I wouldn't think so.
Scott: No. It didn't work on so many levels.
Jamie: Yes. Although McLovin actually got beer, by the way. He did? McLovin actually got served. Yeah.
Scott: I should have had that on my ID.
Jamie: Yes. McLovin McLovin. That works. McLovin definitely got served. You did not, but McLovin
Scott: did not get served.
Jamie: You know? That's funny, dude. Yeah. It's funny. Alright. So I'll say this, and I've talked to my mother about this. My parents have never had to go pick me up from a police station. How many times your parents pick me up from a police station? I've never I've never been arrested, knock on wood.
Scott: I've never been formally arrested either. Yeah. When I hear something, this is really bad.
Jamie: Well, they bring you in, you're kind of arrested. I I Yes? I'm not talking about throwing the cuffs, but then they bring you in
Scott: You're underage?
Jamie: Of arrested.
Scott: Even if you're underage? I wasn't even 18 in either one of these situations. The other time, I was at so we're at a friend's house Right. And his older brother was away for spring break.
Jamie: I was there. Or you're gonna tell I was there, by the way. I know the story because I was there. My mother told the story recently, by the way. 100% she did. And I was there. So, god, continue. So I was I was I was there, but go ahead.
Scott: Yeah. So so I'd gotten there late.
Jamie: We were at our buddy's house.
Scott: And I got I got there after you guys had already been there. And someone's like, oh, we were we just took so and so's car out for a ride
Jamie: around brother's car.
Scott: I was like, you did? I was like,
Jamie: come on. Was like a red Firebird or Something Trans that. Something like that.
Scott: And I was like, what? I don't get to go? So then so then our friend was like, alright, I'll take you.
Jamie: I was sitting on the front stoop And of his you guys jumped in his brother's car. Yeah.
Scott: Okay? And we're going around.
Jamie: And we were in like a remote Wait, but did you go for
Scott: a ride too? Before I got there?
Jamie: I think so. I'm pretty sure.
Scott: In any event, so we go around the block. Can I tell you? It's like suburbia.
Jamie: You're in the middle of You're tucked back in the middle of nowhere Franklin Lakes. You barely ever see cars come down this road. You're literally back in like the middle of nowhere, Franklin Lakes.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Like, why there was a cop back there is fucking shocking.
Scott: It's shocking, but there wasn't So a we made we made a left hand turn, and then we see a cop, guess maybe like someone's alarm had gone off or whatever. There's a cop in front of the house. Yeah. Panic ensued, was afraid to drive by the cop, did a very sloppy job making a u-turn.
Jamie: Oh, That's how you guys is that how you guys got you guys should've just gone by him. A 100%. Should just continue by him.
Scott: But we didn't do that in any event. So then then we got pulled over
Jamie: Yes.
Scott: And then when they opened the trunk
Jamie: This fucking part was bananas, by
Scott: the they opened it and meanwhile, this was we had no idea how
Jamie: to exit the this car.
Scott: Because there was a beer cap, like, on the floor of the car from, like, the brother. And And then they opened the trunk, and the guy was like, holy shit. He pulls out
Jamie: a shotgun. Fucking gun in the back.
Scott: And I was like, oh, this isn't good. Oh
Jamie: my What the fuck was he doing with his shotgun?
Scott: It wasn't even working. So it was so he was taking it home from his dad's office because it was hung up on the wall.
Jamie: That makes They
Scott: were like either moving stuff
Jamie: or Yeah. Yeah. That makes
Scott: sense. It didn't even work.
Jamie: But it was there.
Scott: But it was in the car.
Jamie: Yeah. The cop was like, holy shit. Was awesome. Can I tell
Scott: you? That was not good.
Jamie: I'm sitting on our buddy's front stoop. Yeah. And I see the the cop lights, like reflecting off of the houses. Yeah. Kind of like, you know, I could see what happened to you guys from a distance. I'm like, oh my god. They got fucking pulled over. I'm like, holy shit. Yeah. I'm trying to remember how I even got home that night. I'm trying to remember what happened to me. Like, how I how I got out of that situation because you guys got taken in.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: How the fuck did I get home that night?
Scott: You also didn't get into trouble.
Jamie: Well, you know why you didn't get into trouble, because our buddy's dad is a fucking attorney in town.
Scott: Well, either way, we didn't get in trouble.
Jamie: Again, our buddy's dad was
Scott: Okay. I'm just saying.
Jamie: An attorney in town, thank God.
Scott: Yeah. So, You know? Those are
Jamie: my
Scott: two my two stupid, like,
Jamie: Yeah. So, maybe I shouldn't get on my kid when he does bonehead shit, because my kid has not done bonehead shit like any of the stuff that we're just that we just described.
Scott: No. He just wants more screen time.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. And Dominic just wants to put more video games, I really I really shouldn't complain, should I?
Scott: I don't know. You know? I mean, listen, it's all relative, I guess.
Jamie: It is. So anyway, so that's there you go, folks. I hope you enjoyed those stories. So are you guys doing any hockey? And Dominic got thrown off speaking of, Dominic got thrown off the ice the other night.
Scott: That's not great.
Jamie: No. Definitely not. A little bit of a Dominic is having an issue right now with controlling his emotions.
Scott: All he wants to do is drop the mitts and go.
Jamie: Brawl. Not not so much, but he's he's if Dominic isn't if Dominic isn't, like, dialed in hockey wise Yeah. You know, sometimes when you get on the
Scott: ice, your hands just don't work, your feet just aren't My hands work all the time on Mondays. I'm like fucking Gretzky.
Jamie: I shouldn't I should have known. But, you know, so like so like so, you know, so obviously things weren't working for him.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: And it was it was it was actually I don't wanna say it was my fault, it wasn't my fault, but like, he'd just gotten home from Penn State. They took a class trip to
Scott: When you told me this, was like, why'd you even take like, why did you even send him?
Jamie: He just got home from Penn State. He was home for like an hour, he so he just got off like a four hour bus ride home with his, you know, with his his school from the overnight at Penn State that they did. He had like a minor fever. It was like 100.7. So it was like enough to like set the alarm off on the thermometer, like which gave him like like an Advil or Advil or two.
Scott: He must have been exhausted.
Jamie: He was. He didn't sleep the night before because they had a bunch
Scott: So why'd you send him?
Jamie: Because I don't know. I didn't want him to miss because there were not a lot of kids showing up for this practice. Yeah. So I felt bad.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Right? So I sent him. You could tell, he looked tired. You could see he didn't sleep much the night before when they were at Penn State. Right? And he told me that, God, they were throwing pills around the room, you know, till you know, all hours. So, like, I knew he was I knew he wasn't like full go.
Scott: Yep. Got you.
Jamie: Right? So he gets on the ice, and I I happened to just watch for, like, two minutes because they they brought in a kid from CJR that they that Tyler was thinking about putting on the team. I guess one of CJR's teams folded.
Scott: Really?
Jamie: The the lower triple a team apparently folded. So CGR had two twelve triple A teams. They had an elite and like a whatever. Yeah. So this was the lower of the two, or a premier and an elite, whatever it was. This is the lower of the two. Yeah. It probably shouldn't have been triple A to be totally honest with you.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. They were never very good. Either way. So this kid was on that team. So the coach brought him in just to get a look at him, right? So I stayed for ten minutes just to watch this kid, to see if it was something that like was kind of scared. Was right? So I watched you can see Dominic was just not working. His mind was not working, his feet were not working, hands he just wasn't working, it was one of those days. No big deal, right? So I left after like ten minutes, but his body language was shit, should see him. Was throwing his head back, you know, he wasn't like he was getting very angry at himself, having a hard time controlling his emotions, right? So, know, I guess toward the end of the practice, the coach saw and had enough of his shenanigans, And he's like, Dom, fuck off the ice. You know?
Scott: What was the straw that broke the camel back for him? Do you see Camel's back for him? Did he tell you?
Jamie: I Dom, tell me or the coach tell.
Scott: Either one. Like, did he he did was it something that, like, the coach threw him off because he was just, like, looking up at the heavens every time he fucked up, or did he, like, take something out on someone?
Jamie: I mean, I think I a little bit of both. Think he was I think he was he was he was not he was not in a good head space, and clearly, I'm sure he was not I don't wanna say giving you effort, but when Dominic is having an emotional meltdown, he doesn't skate hard. He makes himself He packs it in. Yeah, and he makes himself even worse than what he was before he was in emotional mess. Right? So think I one of his teammates said something to him that kind of set him off, know, which was I'm sure not helping the situation. You know, moral of the story is that, you know, you gotta control yourself. You know? I told him, I told the coach, I'm like, you know what? I'm like, I'm glad you threw him off the ice. Because he needs to realize that, you know, when things aren't working for you, like a leader like, you know, a leader doesn't do that. Right. You know, a leader can control himself, you know, and when things aren't working, you find other ways to affect the outcome of the game. Sure. Whatever it is. Right? And he said, he told me later when I asked him what happened, he's like, of my moves were working, my feet weren't working, I had no hands. I'm like, you know what? Then go back to fucking basics, and just push the hockey puck. You don't do anything fancy.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Just be effective.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: You know? Back check hard, body check hard, you know, like do other stuff. Affect the game in some way.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: You know, because you're you're not always gonna be working. Right? True. You're not always gonna be your best, you know?
Scott: No. That's good advice.
Jamie: You know, so you gotta you gotta try to listen, you're on a team. It's not an individual game, it's a team game. So you if you're not working, right, and you're not doing whatever it is that you do best, you need to find another way to help the team win that game, because that's what it's all about. It's about the logo on the front, not the name on the back. Right. Right? You know, so I told him that. So I'm glad the coach threw him off, and I hope he keeps throwing him off when he gets that bad attitude because it's bad energy on the bench during games.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Right? You don't
Scott: You don't want that to affect other players on the team?
Jamie: Even if you're only concerned about yourself, fine, but your energy spreads. Yeah. You don't want to be the energy vampire. Right. Right? You don't. You don't want to be that guy. If you're trying to be a leader, you really can't be that guy. Totally. Like, that's who you cannot be. So, he's working on it.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: You know, so but yeah, so I hope he keeps getting thrown off the ice, because until he learns, and he will learn.
Scott: Well, hopefully he's learned.
Jamie: I don't think he's learned yet. No. I fair. But I by the it may happen a couple more times. It's like this I just want an Instagram post
Scott: for Let me ask you a question. Sorry.
Jamie: Before we
Scott: can get into that, but, like, does the did the coach give Dominic feedback as to why? Did did Dominic understand what he needs to do differently as to I he doesn't get thrown off again? That's that's crystal clear.
Jamie: Came out and and and talked to him in the locker room before the rest of the kids came in. He's on. He handled it the right way. 100 Yeah. And listen, I have said to Tyler in the past, my Tyler, I'm like, if he if he gets pissy, just fucking throw him off the ice. He has to learn. Like, you have to learn that you cannot act like that, not only in sports, but in life. No doubt. Like, you can't just shut down because you're pissed off.
Scott: I have a little tantrum.
Jamie: Yeah. That's not how you do shit. You've got to figure out if something's not working, you need to figure out a way to affect the situation in a positive way by doing something else, whatever it may be. And that may be something as simple as being the best fucking teammate and rah rah ing everybody else on if you're not working that day.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Whatever it is. It's a life skill.
Scott: But that also takes, I think for his age is 100%. Emotional maturity that not everyone has
Jamie: at that age or is
Scott: even capable of summoning.
Jamie: You're a thousand percent correct, and that's why I did not get on him. Although, must say this Nancy Falcon went bananas on him when he got home.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: She was so angry. So angry. I was shocked. I I I came home. I didn't tell her about it, and so I I came Yeah. And and we we both went Dom went upstairs, and we went we we went out to take the dogs out for a walk, and I mentioned it to her when we were outside. Dude, she goes fucking storming back in the house. She was so angry at him.
Scott: What did she hit him?
Jamie: I don't know because I came in at the
Scott: Because you kept walking the dog
Jamie: for another came hour and a in at the tail end of it, but she was like, Nancy never goes at him, I mean never, but she said, she's like, It's unacceptable to him. She's like, How dare you get thrown off the ice? She said, You can't do that. You know? And listen, as a parent, I had no problem with what you were saying, You know? But I must say, I think it rang a little Louder? Louder and deeper with him than his mom. Like Like, went after him.
Scott: Sure.
Jamie: She does not do that. But she's like, dude, unacceptable. No. Can't do that. Yeah. You know? Like, can't do it.
Scott: Well, listen, I I think it's important, you know, some it's important to as parents, to to make sure that they understand that and that there are consequences. Like, I I don't want my kid to get in trouble, but if he's going to be doing the wrong thing, then he should also be sever suffering the consequences. 100%. And so I agree with you, man. Like, there's plenty of times where I've not plenty of times, but I've even said to the, you know, like, you know, coaches. I said, listen. If you're not getting what you should be getting out of him
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: Then sit him. Sit him. Yeah. Sit him. I say too. Because I don't know I'll tell you the things that I see Yeah. And I'm not telling you how to do your job, but I'm just telling you that I think that there's an opportunity for this kid to be a lot better in this area. And if, you know but what's frustrating me is that, like, when you see coaches that don't necessarily take, like, appropriate risk like, appropriate response accountability. Yeah. I I mean, like, I'm not saying be a tyrant on the bench. Like, that's not it. I Even to teach. But I've even said to coach, I'm like, you know, I'm like, but when you deliver this information, like, doesn't have to be like, yo, what the fuck are you doing? Sitting your ass on the bench. You're not getting off there until I see know, whatever. It's like, hey, listen buddy, I need you to Yeah. Listen, it's time for you to like take a seat. I need you to watch Billy, watch his back check. That's what I need from you. You're gonna you're gonna miss a shift, when I see you back out there, I want you to do what he's doing.
Jamie: Listen.
Scott: Like, you can say that. Right? And that's reasonable, it's measured, it's 100%. You're getting the point across.
Jamie: I think so. Teaching, that's what they're
Scott: there But there's not enough of that.
Jamie: No, there's not. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of accountability. And Tyler said to him, he's like, Dominic, when you get to older teams, they're gonna fucking cut you.
Scott: Okay, shit. So, if he's gonna say that to him, then he needs to okay. But, like, you can't say those things, but then also No. He did. But but you have to teach the kids. Like, if you're just gonna say, like, oh, listen. If you keep acting like this, and I'm not gonna do anything about it, you're gonna suffer these consequences later in life. Like
Jamie: No. No. No. This was after he threw him off the ice in the locker room, he said. He said, Dom, you can't do this now. You're getting older on older teams. They're not gonna put up with this shit. And he's right.
Scott: He's 100%
Jamie: right. So I thought he did the right thing by tossing him off the ice. I thought he did the right thing by going and talking to him, and Dom called him yesterday. Mhmm. And I think he got back to me. He's know what, Dom? He's like, I'll I'll call you. He's like, I'm I think he's gonna call back today or something like that. Because it was late when he called him.
Scott: Yeah. Okay.
Jamie: But he reached out because yeah. I think he felt bad. Hopefully, he said sorry in the locker room. I think he I think he mentioned he did, but I'm not sure. Dom called because he wants to talk to him, because Dominic does not want to be like that. And he's working on it.
Scott: Okay. He knows that's really great for Dom, that he's aware of it. Awareness and acceptance is more than half
Jamie: the time. He is aware of it. I'm not sure he's accepted, but he's aware of it. Right. But can he control it? That's the
Scott: But like, once once you open your mind to accepting the fact that this is something that Right. Do right? But like, if you can say to yourself, okay, what I did was wrong, I see that, and I've done something like that in the past Yeah. And I don't wanna do that. Correct. Like, then you can start making a change. But until you like Agreed. You know, accept that stuff, then it's like, you're just gonna sit there and keep doing the same stupid shit.
Jamie: Agreed. Yeah. No, listen, I I think that I think that he hopefully, it's a lesson learned. He might need to learn it a couple more times before he really
Scott: figured it
Jamie: out, which I'm okay with. But listen, I I I had no problem with him. Yeah. He tossed up the ice. I would've fucking thrown him off the ice too. Yeah. You know? When when Dom skates with Marsh, Marsh says the same thing to him. He's like, Dom, you see, you're gonna be like, get the fuck off the ice. And then Dom all a sudden snaps right back around. Yeah. You know? Because he's like, oh shit.
Scott: I threw Otto off the ice once.
Jamie: Listen, I don't think there's a problem with it. In a game. Again, I don't think there's a problem with it. Yeah. I hope Tyler throws him off the ice during the game if he's acting like that. Yeah. Hopefully he doesn't, but if he does, again, I want him to learn. He needs to learn. Right. And me telling him, he's not learning.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Because dad doesn't know shit. Right. You know? Because dad's stupid. Dad was born last night.
Scott: You were?
Jamie: Yeah. As far as he's concerned about.
Scott: I'm glad he told you because I was about to tell you.
Jamie: I'm glad that we're all on the same page now. You know? But yeah, so yeah, so that's they have one more practice. They have a practice next Wednesday, and then Dom and I leave for Atlanta the next day.
Scott: Oh, nice. Yeah. Alright. The two of are going down there.
Jamie: Thursday morning.
Scott: Yeah. That's great.
Jamie: Are you guys doing any practice? Any hockey practice for for your club?
Scott: I gotta look at the calendar. There's definitely some coming up.
Jamie: I'm assuming you'll something, no?
Scott: We have some coming up
Jamie: for Yeah.
Scott: So that's so yeah, I guess we do have some practices coming up.
Jamie: Yeah. That was our last one next week.
Scott: Okay. Yeah. We haven't the coach pushed I don't know. He said something about just doing it later in the spring, early summer
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: Whatever it was. So we got some coming up. I feel like it's gonna be like training camp before you know it. We got like a two week training camp at the end of August.
Jamie: Well, yeah. That's pretty normal. Yeah. Yeah. We had it last year and the year before.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. That's not bad. Just kinda get everybody in gear.
Scott: Yeah. It's just like, you know, the timing of it's like, you know, that's when our our families have usually gone away at the end of the summer. Oh, And it's like, the Labor Day weekend's a busy one with, like, birthdays.
Jamie: It is. Anything else. That's true.
Scott: So in any event Right. But yeah, man. Nice. We got some practice coming up, but besides that, chilling, chilling.
Jamie: I like shall we get to our questions? We
Scott: Oh, yeah. I just we should thank everyone that, like, wrote in. I know we put some stuff up on Instagram, and let's take a look on these responses.
Jamie: Yeah. We're good.
Scott: People wanna hear more about a goalie talk. Shout out Rachel. Shout out Stacy. Stacy. Sorry. Sorry.
Jamie: Shout out Stacy. You're giving away her disguise.
Scott: Yeah. Well
Jamie: She doesn't need disguise, I'm just saying. Goal Yeah. Goal talk. I feel like we need a goalie professional on to talk about that.
Scott: Well, didn't I thought you had some you had an iron in the fire.
Jamie: I do.
Scott: Okay. Is that still is it I
Jamie: just need to ask,
Scott: Brett. So, pull the hammer. Will do. Lay it down.
Jamie: We'll get that really, really, really
Scott: is goalie talk.
Jamie: We'll have a whole goalie episode.
Scott: Alright. We'll do that. More interviews. Yep. Working on that. Shout out Mid Michigan Hockey. Who else we got?
Jamie: Oh, yeah. He's been following us for a long Talked to him a couple times.
Scott: Let's see.
Jamie: Open borders?
Scott: Open borders.
Jamie: You wanna go wanna go into the open borders talk a little bit?
Scott: You know? Yeah. We can. I I mean, I'd like to in in you know, on my end, it's not really influencing me at this point. So it's not like I mean, I've got I I'm from what from what we've been hearing and what the interviews that we've had come on, it really just seems like the the it's now raising the level of NCAA hockey because you have an influx of more high end players coming from Canada since if they played in OHL Yeah. You know, or CHL, wherever Yeah. That then they can they go on to attend, you you know, US hockey, you know, US colleges to play ice hockey. And so Yeah. That's part of what what the you know, the path to playing d one is only getting harder.
Jamie: Right? It's it's it's it definitely as a college hockey fan, I like the fact that the product is getting better. Yeah. Like, that's hard to go wrong with.
Scott: So, you also you'll feel the expansion, most likely. Yeah. So I mean, but like there's this like Yes, I will. There's gonna be an imbalance for a while when before until you have more clubs and more roster spots at the NC double know, at the level. Yeah. You're just gonna end up having kids that leave the CHL as well as the USHL as, like, they're the precursor to college.
Jamie: Yes. I think and you're right about that, you know. So and you're right about that. I think I think it's gonna take some time, and we talked about it with Larry last episode, we talked about it a couple times, but for more, like, division one teams to come online. Right? Like, the the SEC's they that is a that's I think that's a 100% gonna happen,
Scott: by way. Right.
Jamie: But that's gonna take year.
Scott: It will take years. It's it's years. And before Yes. During that time, until there's more program. Yeah. Now, I guess I guess you could also say, well, if there's less and then people are leaving the CHL. Again, I don't have numbers to back this up. This is just what I'm understanding is is the way things are kinda happening, then okay, then you're gonna have more spots in the CHL. Right? There's more teams in the CHL compared to the USHL. Right. The USHL is also, you know, well, you're a junior program. Sure. You know, you could say as an American, like, if the CHL is out of reach, like, well, oh, maybe this may may if the I mean, if the USHL is out of reach, well, then, like, oh, maybe I can go play CHL. Yes. Right? So as an American, like, maybe there's more Americans that are thinking Canadian Hockey, you know, major junior because there's more teams. And if more kids are leaving earlier, there's more roster spots. I mean, if you're a young Canadian kid, your path to the CHL is probably is maybe easier. I don't know.
Jamie: You know, it's interesting. It's funny. Everything's kinda happening at once, which is kinda funky. So we're talking about, like, open borders where, you know, kids can kind of kind of flow back and forth now between, like, Canada and The US. Right?
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: What's crazy is this this new five for five rule is really gonna throw, like, a monkey wrench into the junior stuff because alright. So there's so the rule is, and I'm gonna say this, I'm gonna fuck it up, is you have five years after your, like, nineteenth your nineteenth birthday year or your graduation year. K. So either your graduation from high school or your nineteenth
Scott: Whatever comes first.
Jamie: Correct.
Scott: And then the clock starts ticking.
Jamie: Clock starts ticking.
Scott: And what clock is that?
Jamie: So think about it. So let's just say that you're a let's say that you're a regular high school kid who plays club hockey, and you graduate high school at 18.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Okay? You now have five years, okay, of eligibility. Okay? So
Scott: Right. So you can't go dick off not that you're dicking off. That's not the right way to put it.
Jamie: So you Go ahead. What I'm saying, like, let so hockey is a little bit of a different animal. Right? Right. So a hockey player would go play two years of juniors.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Okay? And then you get and then you'd wanna go and hopefully play division one or whatever you're gonna do. Yeah. Okay? So now that kid is going to go, and he's going to go, and he's gonna go play for XYZ junior team. He's gonna play two years there. Now has three years of eligibility to play hockey in college. Right. So so what are your options? You graduate high school. Okay. You play one year of juniors, and then you go play four years of of collegiate hockey, or do you leave high school after your junior year, and you go play two years of juniors, and then you have four years to go play college. Like, it's it's it's throwing so this open border stuff, like the open borders are happening, and this five for five rule is happening. It's all happening the same time.
Scott: But that five for five rule is definitely going to
Jamie: It's going to go through.
Scott: But it's not yet.
Jamie: It's going to.
Scott: So then if you
Jamie: This thing is going to go through. Because and the reason it's going to go through is because you have it's it's really to fix eligibility issues in other sports. Like, right now, you have all these waivers. You have all these hardship waivers for another year of eligibility, especially in college football. Okay? They all got a COVID year, which I understand because COVID was so fucked up. Right? But they're all like, oh, we need an extra year here, or an injury year, or like a whatever. Now all those waivers are gonna disappear, and you're just gonna have five years to play for, or whatever it
Scott: is. Okay.
Jamie: Like, there's they're they're doing away with the waiver. And the reason they're doing away with the waivers, don't forget, a lot of these kids are making more money, NIL money, in college than they will after college. So they're trying to stay in till they're like 28. Right? So they have all these eligibility years. They're they're they're like so it's so it's crushing it's crushing the NCAA because they have all these these these eligibility waivers to deal with, and they don't wanna deal with them. Right? So they're so they're making this five for five rule. Hockey is the only one of these college sports that has a league in between high school and college, a real league.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Right? So it's causing a major, major, major, major problem in the youth hockey space or in the hockey So it is
Scott: like if that holds, goes through and holds, and you're basically aging out of college way earlier.
Jamie: I mean, let's just say that you graduate alright, mean, perfect example so you're like so kids that reclass, so these kids that reclass, you're gonna graduate as a 19 year old in high school. Right? So you're like so you now don't have a lot of time to play juniors. The late bloomers are gonna get crushed by this. Crushed. So those kids that played three years of juniors or whatever it is, now we're gonna get hammered by this. So I think all these leagues, these junior leagues, the OHL, the CHL, the USHL, I think they're all gonna get younger. It has to.
Scott: Unless the unless the junior leagues then I don't know. Yeah. That's interesting.
Jamie: Right? I mean, it's it's causing It puts downward pressure. It's causing major problems, like major
Scott: Okay. So so but but but at the end of the day, you have a choice to make between it's just gonna make everything younger. Yeah. Yeah. I haven't thought too critically about that, I get but that's interesting.
Jamie: Yeah. So, listen, we'll see.
Scott: Then it becomes much more of like, what's your best development path? Correct. Because like, you know, now now now the landscape is going like to junior, then college. At some point, like, there's there is a hybrid option and or it's like you're kind of choosing one or the other.
Jamie: Yes. Correct.
Scott: Like, can't just like finish up a junior and then be like, alright, now what am I gonna do?
Jamie: It's true, you know? It's causing a problem. I mean, it's it's this the open border stuff and the NCAA rule change is, like, they're all coming together.
Scott: Yeah. So so so, like, reconcile that again. Idea what to Yeah. But but but reconcile that against the idea that, okay, people talk about how if you are that good, if you're gonna make it to the next level, whatever the next level is, like, will be found. So, how does that not still hold true?
Jamie: Like, are these saying the late I think it still is, but the late bloomer now so we we've talked on this podcast numerous times that the runway is long. Yeah. Right? I'm not sure the runway's so long.
Scott: But, like, there's a lot of the players in
Jamie: NHL The runway just got shorter.
Scott: But a lot of players in the NHL are undrafted. I agree with you. Okay. So and, like, I'm sure the same holds true for, I don't know, like the AHL or the East Coast hockey.
Jamie: Yes. Like Yes. You know? But think think about the late bloomer, the guy who plays juniors, the 20 year old in juniors. Right? The the late bloomer, the guy that doesn't really come around until later. Yeah. Right? That guy now I mean, are colleges gonna start taking people with two years of eligibility, three years of eligibility left? Are they gonna do that? Do think so?
Scott: A 100% they will.
Jamie: I don't know. Maybe. They might. You might be right about that. That very well could be a thing.
Scott: Yeah, I think they will for sure. Maybe. There's also a lot of kids that don't even go through all four years of their own eligibility.
Jamie: Listen, maybe, it might be, it might happen. Right? Yeah. It might happen. I I don't know yet. We have to wait and see.
Scott: You're just gonna you're not gonna have the really old, like, seniors.
Jamie: Right? I mean
Scott: Or old I mean, guess what I'm saying is it's just gonna make everything younger because you can't you you're you're not gonna be eligible to play after your if it's you're limited. Right? You said five years after 19?
Jamie: Five years. Yeah.
Scott: So you have your '19, so I do '20, '21, '22, 20.
Jamie: So it's I wanna say it's your graduating year or your nineteenth birthday or whichever comes first.
Scott: Okay. And then you have five years?
Jamie: Yeah. And you have five years.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Oh, you have five years of you have you have yes. You have you you have no if you go you cannot go past five years. Your eligibility will run out.
Scott: Okay. So you're 24 when that runs out.
Jamie: And let me ask you a question. How do you implement that now?
Scott: But if you're 24 when that runs out
Jamie: I understand that.
Scott: So go play junior for a year or two, go through that transition, and then go play college.
Jamie: So you but if you play junior for a year or two, you're you're if you play junior for a year or two, you're not gonna have time to go play you'll you'll be you'll be finishing your junior year in college, will be your last year to be able to play.
Scott: Okay. Right? But I mean, what's the I'm saying that's the hand that you're dealt.
Jamie: Yeah, it is. But I don't know schools are gonna want to commit to something for three years or two years, or whatever the number's gonna be.
Scott: There's plenty of schools that are gonna want to win. Yeah. Especially if there's more and more money behind it. I don't know. You get a stud, you get some studs, like, dev players, and you're making a push to go play, you know, for the Frozen Four, you're not gonna take some guys that are just like, wanna make the jump from Junior now?
Jamie: You know, you know, I'm, you know, I'm not sure.
Scott: I think for sure they won't.
Jamie: We need to I'm not sure. I honestly don't know the answer. You know, we we gotta find out.
Scott: It's it's gonna be Those college commitments will be different because it's like, you know Correct. We're gonna give you a two year commitment.
Jamie: Everything is so in flux right now, I guess is what I'm saying, is that like the open borders, the five for five rule, it's all happening at the same time. And I think that I don't think that anybody has a like, nobody really knows what's gonna happen yet. Like, everything is there's nothing is settled. Everything is so unsettled still Yeah. I hear in that space. And I think that, you know, as we go on here, you know, it's not a problem, but, like, there's I feel really bad for the kids who are, like, I don't know, like, nines, like, 10 like like like, those kids like those kids are, like, really up against it and, like
Scott: But, like, at the end of the day, isn't it, like, no different? I mean, it's the same but different? Like, if you're that good, you're gonna I mean, what happens for, like, these kids that are getting I don't know. I just I'm not saying it's I'm sure it's difficult. I'm sure it's unsettling.
Jamie: That's putting it mildly, I think. I think they do not know what to do. And think about it. Do you know how many can you imagine?
Scott: But say this practically speaking, we were also talking as if these fictitious kids that we're imagining right now can go do whatever they want. That's not the way it works. Right? Like, your kid's gonna be you're gonna have good relationships with, like you know, if your kid's getting recruited heavily by, the USHL Right. Or the NAL or wherever, like, you're not gonna be like, no, hold on right there. Let me make sure I can talk to all these universities. You know what I mean? Like, not all these kids have all these choices.
Jamie: I reached out to Conor and Kellen Jones because I was curious to hear their thoughts on it. Spoke to Marsh about it too. Yeah. Right? And and what and we're gonna have we're gonna have we have a couple college interviews, college coach interviews next week, and the week after that, the week after that.
Scott: Next three weeks Calendar invite. Calendar invite.
Jamie: We have lots of them, and we're gonna ask. We're gonna ask that question because my guess when I when I asked Connor and Kellen about it, the Jones boys, they were like, listen, gotta see what happens. Like, we're not sure what the fallout's gonna be.
Scott: Yeah. Of course, there's a lot of unknowns.
Jamie: I was even thinking that, like, that this could wind up, like, hurting the Ivies.
Scott: Why?
Jamie: Because the Ivies need older players to be able to compete with the rest of the teams in college hockey.
Scott: Why do they need older players?
Jamie: Because they they they they don't have NIL money to go give to, you know, like, the BCs of the world, the BUs world, they don't have any NIL money, so they need the older player. Right? Because if you look at the rosters of, like, Michigan, BC, a lot of those kids are probably younger. Not all, but the studs in this game are younger. Right? Salabrinis, the Ryan Leonard's, right, they're younger. The Luke Hughes's, right, they're younger. So in order for the Ivies to compete against the skill level of those type teams, the big the Blue Bloods, right, the Nodacs of the world, the Denbars of the world, you need a 24, 25 year old junior to our 25 year old senior. You need that. Right? They're more physically developed. You need in my opinion, that's how the Ivies compete on the ice with those blue bloodied teams that can throw NIL money out. The Ivies don't do that. So this, in my opinion, will hurt the Ivies. If everything is going to get younger, okay? And we'll ask. We're having an Ivy coach on next week, right? You know, we'll ask him, and maybe we'll release that episode the following week, cause we're having somebody from Cornell, our buddy Sean.
Scott: Right? Yeah.
Jamie: So we'll actually ask him. So, you know, so we'll ask him, like, what do you think the fallout's gonna be? In my opinion, this is going to hurt the IBs, which which I I don't know how they're gonna be able to compete with the big dogs. So you win the ECAC, and you go to the to the dance. How are you gonna compete with the Denver's, the Michigan's, if you don't have the older player? Because right now, like Princeton's roster, Dartmouth's roster, they're all older kids for the most part, for the most part.
Scott: I mean, I don't know that as if you tell me so, then
Jamie: then fine. We have Sean on when we have Sean when we do Sean's interview on Monday, we will ask him, and we'll send him. He's Cornell, so we'll ask him.
Scott: They're they're not they might not be pulling down like that celebrity player
Jamie: Correct.
Scott: Which are like, you know, fewer and further between. And I don't know enough about it because obviously it's not like you hear the Ivies like, you know, in the Frozen four often. Like, that's not something. So they're already they're already not on the same level. Would you agree with that? That the Ivies, like, when we talk about teams that have, like, you know, over the last I don't know how many, like, decades, like, how many times have the Ivies won compared to and I say, the Frozen four gone to the Frozen four or may you know what I mean?
Jamie: Listen, I think Harvard made a run a couple years ago, but the point is that I think those teams are the ones that are gonna suffer in this. Maybe I'm not looking at this the right way.
Scott: No, I don't think you're looking at it the wrong way, I'm just thinking that they're already, that they're they're already the way their systems are built. Right? They're they're clearly built on, like, know, not necessarily recruiting the top talent. Right?
Jamie: You're saying
Scott: that they're they're, you know, leaning into the older players that are gonna be more physically, like, you know, mature and like, you know, whatever the case might be. I'm just wondering that like the Ivies themselves having such a good education, there's, you know, I
Jamie: Listen, I think they can sell their product very easily.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: There's not gonna be a shortage of people that are gonna wanna go there.
Scott: Right. You're just saying that they're not gonna get as many?
Jamie: But if no, not to not get as many, but if they have younger hockey players competing against the highly skilled blue blood players, I think it's gonna I think one of their strengths nobody, was looking at the window. Yeah, one of their strengths is the older player.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Right? Where the older player can compete with the 18, 19 year old phenom, or not phenom, but the very highly skilled kid.
Scott: I don't know enough about it to be totally honest
Jamie: with I guess if everything gets younger, I think it's gonna hurt the Ivies. That's my point. This won't hurt the Michigans of the world, the Denvers of the world, the Nodex of the world, because those they're bringing in major kids anyway at a young age. The Celebrinis, the Lou Queses, right? The Adam Fantilles. I don't think it's gonna have much of an effect on those major, major college hockey teams. Yep. I think it's gonna have an effect, a trickle down effect to the Ivies. Could be. And the smaller teams that, again, have a lot to sell with an Ivy League education, right? But I think you're gonna have a younger Ivy League player down the road. And think about it, how do you implement this now? I mean, if you say right now that, you know, anybody after, like, that has, you know, that's five years, you know, removed from high school is not eligible, you're gonna have to throw off half half the fucking rosters on some of these teams.
Scott: Like, easily. Well, there'd have to be like a grace period where it's like, you know, you're grandfathered in Can you imagine?
Jamie: Start right. Like, you you have you have to get rid of like 60% of some of these teams.
Scott: No, but they'll age out, that's all that'll happen. Well, you would think they would
Jamie: grandfathered those teams in.
Scott: Yeah, yeah, don't think, and what do I know?
Jamie: So, my opinion, this is gonna hurt the Ivies, and it's gonna hurt the late bloomer. That's my feeling on it. Maybe I'm wrong, gotta see how it plays out.
Scott: Time will tell.
Jamie: Yes. Yes, it will.
Scott: God, I'm sleepy. Hit me with another question. Another question? I don't know. You so this is other from other folks that wrote in. We have eight to twelve eight to 12 u youth tier one quote unquote. We've got the car ride home meltdowns.
Jamie: Oh, god.
Scott: That's happened once or twice.
Jamie: Don't do it. Just don't talk to your kids in the car.
Scott: Already, how about this one? We got already mentally preparing for the following season when the current season hasn't started. You can go with that one.
Jamie: That's an interesting one, actually.
Scott: It kinda ties into what we're talking about, right? Because like, you know, you're thinking about the landscape of what's coming down the road, and you think about milestones, like, where's my kid at now? Yeah. And, like, this season, we're gonna use this season to get to where maybe I don't know. For to that one, you gotta live the question. You know, I I see I I've I've gone down those roads before. It's more like I've gotten started thinking about the following season, like, maybe halfway through. Like, come, like, January, you start thinking about next season, at least for me.
Jamie: Yeah. I I I definitely am not thinking about this up I mean, I'm I'm excited for it, because I think our team's gonna be good. Yeah. You know? But I'm definitely not mentally preparing yet for the upcoming season.
Scott: So this upcoming season, you've got your Bant your second year Bantam.
Jamie: Yes. Now, he talking about this season coming up or the following year?
Scott: I think that that the way Like the following season. Already mentally preparing For the following for the Not this one. The following season when the current season hasn't even started. The current season hasn't started. Right. He's already mentally preparing for
Jamie: the The next one. Jesus Christ.
Scott: He's like, woah, early. So much can happen.
Jamie: Like he's so That's true by
Scott: the way. So much can happen.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. I wouldn't even think you're wasting your time thinking about
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Because what because you can't do anything about it now. Unless your kid's gonna start hitting.
Scott: Oh, listen. Unless that following well, that's Otto's hitting.
Jamie: Maybe that's why? Oh, so you have a similar situation.
Scott: Yeah. But I'm not I'm not like getting anxious about
Jamie: it. No. I wouldn't think you would. I I listen. Listen.
Scott: Do I want my kid to be a beast? Yeah. But, like, am I sure that's gonna happen? No. But
Jamie: have to tell you, like, I I think that us
Scott: as parents, and you tell me if
Jamie: I'm off base here, I think us as parents, like, we just have to let our kids play and not get so emotional about the shit because the highs and lows in this game are so drastic. Yeah. The highs are so high, and the lows are so low, and you have everything in between. I think that if you just enjoy the ride and watch your kid play and have fun watching your kid play, and be listen, be proud of him, you know, that he's out there doing because but at the end of the day, these kids are are learning life skills and life lessons that are going to give them a leg up in the business world, in the relationship world, right, in the world in general. That's why we're doing this.
Scott: Yeah. That's why you're doing it?
Jamie: Yeah. I mean, I mean, listen. And listen.
Scott: I'll tell you this much. I I would agree, like, I agree with that, only now after having done this podcast and spoken to a lot of people and and heard a lot of the same recurring narratives. Right. And, you know, when you have younger kids, I don't know that, like, you know, you're looking for your kid to have fun and, like, do a sport. Like, I think I do think that in the very beginning, at least for me, I wasn't thinking about that kind of stuff. Only once your kid starts to get a little older, a little bit more mature, starts having more life problems, then you start to like connect those dots and be like, yeah, you know, see how sports and, you know, provides like this kind of foundation or
Jamie: The eight.
Scott: Like, it teaches these life lessons. Like, you could start making those analogies with your kid
Jamie: Mhmm.
Scott: Once they're only at a certain age. Right? Like, I think before I I don't know. I'm just saying that's for me.
Jamie: Like, I
Scott: think about that stuff now. But if you would ask me when Otto was six You were
Jamie: you weren't that wasn't anything No. About
Scott: I'm thinking like, I want I want my kid to go out there and have fun and just like
Jamie: Well, of course.
Scott: You know, I still want that for my kid now, but I I like, back then, I wasn't thinking about, oh, the life lessons, you know? But now, he's, like, going through stuff, and, like, there are life lessons to be learned. You know? Right. So that that's all I'm saying about that.
Jamie: So I I always knew there were life lessons involved because, like, high level sports, there's life lessons involved. Right? Like, you're
Scott: For sure.
Jamie: You're learning to cope with teammates, coaches, parents. Right? Whatever it is. You know? But I I also think that, you know, I think parents need to just relax
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: And enjoy the ride more. Like, I don't know about you. Yeah. But, like, like, building this, what we're building here, like, I'm enjoying the ride building. Like, I'm really enjoying the process of of building what we're building here. Right? And I think parents need to enjoy that process more and not get so pissed off, not get so bent out of shape. I know it's easier said than done. Trust me. I get it. But what we're doing here is, in my opinion, we are giving life skills to all these kids that will help them navigate the world. And the world is not an easy place. Right? Not easy to be successful in life. It's hard. Right? It takes work, it takes a certain type of mentality, and I think you learn that resiliency. And I think you learn all that in sports.
Scott: Sure.
Jamie: Right? And and it's funny, was just talking to I was talking to couple people, but I was talking to a a dad, you know, who's a Wall Streeter, you know, and we were talking, and we were saying that, like, most of the guys that people hire these days are, like, high end athletes.
Scott: How was the kids when we were kids?
Jamie: That's
Scott: crazy. When I say kids, I mean, when we were fresh in the workforce.
Jamie: Exactly. That's still happening because
Scott: they're competitive.
Jamie: Because they're competitive, and they know how to compete, and they want to win.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Right? So so so so the Wall Street industry, you know, wants those kids.
Scott: No doubt.
Jamie: You know, and those kids so the the lessons they're learning, in my opinion, doing this, their journey we're all on right now, the kids will take however far they go in this game, they will take lessons and relationships away from this.
Scott: Yeah. I hope so.
Jamie: That I'm telling you, Nancy's cousin, Nick
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Played for the Avalanche when was young. He was a goalie. His first job in finance was from a kid's father who was a finance guy who he played hockey in.
Scott: There you go. Yeah. But that's also networking. Right? Like, that's like
Jamie: But that's part of it.
Scott: Oh, no doubt. No doubt.
Jamie: Right?
Scott: Part of a community, Larry for
Jamie: Robin said it perfectly. Like, he would hire guys for for Glenview Capital that for, like, an analyst job, but he also wanted them to, like, you know, coach on the side.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: Right? Like, that there's there's the hockey community is a very, very is a community that gives back. Right? And you can create, you can open doors to it. No doubt. You know? And I think that we all need to relax. We're talking about, like, you know, getting worried about, like, the following season. Like, I don't think about any of that shit.
Scott: No, I haven't thought about it either.
Jamie: You know, like, I'm not even remotely thinking about, like, the following season. I'm barely thinking about seasons coming up.
Scott: You know what I think about, honestly? I think about, like, a lot of times, I'm just thinking about, like, you know, even with myself personally, like, you think about things where things that didn't go well. Right? Sure. And you're just like, oh, man. Like, I wanna learn from those lessons.
Jamie: You pivot.
Scott: Right? Like, you wanna learn from those lessons. Alright. Okay. This this happened in the past. This was a mistake. This was something, like, don't wanna repeat that one. What do I need to do differently? And, you know, part of what I think about is, like, I'm I'm looking for signals, you know, for my kid that's like he's going through that same process.
Jamie: You know?
Scott: And I don't know that we're there yet, but just
Jamie: to more maturity. Yeah.
Scott: Just to start taking a bit more, like, ownership for, like, the areas where he knows there's an opportunity to improve. And you know, it's like a lot of times, like you have to do like the mundane, like boring, repetitive stuff that doesn't feel good and like whatever. But those are the things that you need to get through in order. And I said to him, you know, because he's mountain biking, you know, client, he loves going downhill. Mean, who doesn't like going downhill?
Jamie: That's the easy part. Uphill part is
Scott: not not the most fun.
Jamie: Yeah. That's the easy part.
Scott: And he came up, he got in the car the other day, picked him up, and he's like, oh, my legs are burning. Was I like, dude, that's awesome. And he's like, it's really he's like, it wasn't that much fun. I'm like, it's not supposed to be fun like that. But don't you ever
Jamie: You know, it it's But
Scott: I mean, like, fun and, like, in terms of, like, thrill. Like, he loves the thrill seeking of, going downhill and going off jumps and all this. I get it. And I said to him, like, do you ever I was like, I remember when I was a kid and I'd be on my bike that only had one gear and you've got like however many you have. And I'd be like, I tried to go up a hill.
Jamie: Do you remember when we used drive the hill?
Scott: We used to Turn the pedal over one more time.
Jamie: Do you remember what we had to zig zag?
Scott: You zig zag.
Jamie: You zig zag up the hill. You zig zag. And your legs were on fire.
Scott: I know, but you just wanted to You didn't want the wheel to stop turning. Correct. Just like, one more. And like, get, like, angry and you're like
Jamie: Yeah. 100% you do. And that and that was an accomplishment when you got to the top of that fucking hill with no gears.
Scott: Finally, then the time that you did it, you're like, I did it. Yeah. I got to the top.
Jamie: It was awesome.
Scott: So it's you know, it's like, I'm looking for signs for him to be like, dude,
Jamie: like Do that and send respond that way?
Scott: I said, when you're climbing a hill, like, with all 17,000 gears you have on your bike and your full suspension, like, on that bike that you're climbing a hill on. Yeah. Do you ever, like, get competitive with yourself and you're
Jamie: like, oh,
Scott: I'm gonna you know, and just like grin and bear and all that stuff? And he's like, yeah, like maybe like maybe half of 1% of my body feels that way. And I was like, that's a very low It's
Jamie: because he's young.
Scott: I was like, dude, that you you need to fall in love.
Jamie: With the grind. With the hurt. Listen. I know.
Scott: Am I in love with the grind and the hurt? I wouldn't put it that way, but there are certain things that, like, I definitely have, you know Yeah. I've tested myself. And
Jamie: Yes. Yes. Nothing wrong with that.
Scott: No. But all I'm saying is that, like, I'm I'm when I think of we're talking about thinking into the future Yeah. And as far as I'm concerned, my own personal thoughts about this upcoming season for auto, I'm hoping to see some, like, more, like Like grittiness? Maturity gains and, like, grittiness.
Jamie: Right.
Scott: Right. Because ultimately, that needs to be part of your game if you're gonna, like
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: You know, succeed. You know, it's funny.
Jamie: I tell Dominic all the time, and you you were mentioning this with like the like like the greatness part, like Yeah. When you when you think that you're totally tapped out, you're probably only at like 40% of your capacity. You know that? Well Like, have people most most people have no idea how much more they can endure, but they shut it down because they don't like how it feels.
Scott: Kids do. But listen, you have to train You have to train that. Listen, a good example is there was a time when I was really out of shape, And I got back into shape, and I was and I decided I wanted to start running. Yeah. And because I could never I was that was not something that I never liked to do. Whenever I go, like when I did when I was going to the gym
Jamie: because it sucks.
Scott: I would go
Jamie: to most people.
Scott: Run on a treadmill. I would always do, like I like to do cardio more than I like to do weights, and I would Right. Do it in the gym. But this time around, I was like, you know what? I wanna spend some more time outside.
Jamie: I would say, you run outside.
Scott: Yeah. I'm like, I'm gonna start running. I'm gonna get up early, and I'm gonna run. Right. And, you know, we talk about, like, you you can do so much more than you think you can. 100%. But but this is what I'm gonna say. I push myself. Mhmm. And I'm telling you that I've there are times, like, it it it's like a it's like a muscle. You have to build it. Like, you can't when the the total amount that you can do Mhmm. Now Mhmm. Compared to, let's say, six months of training that muscle Mhmm. Like, can do more with more training.
Jamie: Of
Scott: course. So what all I'm saying is that in the beginning, when we're talking about our kids, and I'm to say there's like, you see quitting them earlier than you want them to. Even if you know that they're capable of more, like, they're only capable of so much more perhaps. Like, there needs to be like and you talked about that Angela Ducksworth book, Grit. Right? Mhmm. Like Remember the author? I read it. Oh, you did? Yeah. Did you like it? Years ago. Yeah. Yeah.
Jamie: For sure. But you read it before me. Interesting.
Scott: I think I listened to it. No, did I read I might have listened to it.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. I listened
Scott: to it. But the intentional practice Mhmm. And like doing that, like that's all I'm trying to say is that when I see my kid or we talk about like, you know, seeing our kid and saying, they got more in the tank. They got more in the tank. They probably do. Yes. Do. But like, you know, it's if you it it also needs to be developed.
Jamie: Yes.
Scott: Right? Like
Jamie: Yes. You're not wrong. But most of time, it's the mind shutting down. It's not it's not the body.
Scott: Right. But there's but there's still right.
Jamie: I mean, most the time, the mind
Scott: But don't you think that there's a difference between when you see the quit, like the mental quit versus the physical quit?
Jamie: Listen, I I think I don't think these kids really know what the physical quit feels like yet.
Scott: Okay. But for whatever that is, whenever they reach their max, it might not be their 100% max, their absolute max. But when they reach their max, like, they they just they they're still you see that they're still trying, but they're just they don't have the legs. It's different than, like, when you see the kid out there and you're not even halfway through a shift and you're not back checking hard. It's like, you know you have more
Jamie: in the
Scott: tank, you're mentally quitting.
Jamie: Yes, yes, yes. Most of these kids mentally check out, though. Because the mind is a strong thing. It's hard to realize, like, whole David Goggins thing, like, the dude runs hundreds of miles at a time, you know, I mean, that's not easy.
Scott: But he's also normal.
Jamie: But most of that is all mental. I mean, you know, you have to, you know, obviously there's pain in it too, but you have to realize that the pain is not, you know. David Goggins is a specimen. Yes, know, but there's multiple people that do those long runs. My point is if somebody can run a 100 miles, okay, you know, one of our kids can run a mile without bitching and moaning and be like, Oh my God, I'm so spent, you know?
Scott: Yeah. Mean, listen, I don't disagree with you. I hear you.
Jamie: I just think there's always more or in the tank. That 40% rule, I forgot where I read it somewhere, but when you think you're done, you're never really.
Scott: I thought about this in the gym the other day because was, like, I wanted to stop, like, before, like, the bell sound there to take a class. You know, I looked up the clock, and there was only, I don't know, like, seven seconds, but, like, what occurred to me is
Jamie: this You guys were timed for each, like
Scott: Yeah. Like, you're at a station.
Jamie: Interval exercises?
Scott: Yeah. And and I don't know where I heard it, and it's nothing earth shattering, but someone said, you can do anything for ten more seconds.
Jamie: 100%.
Scott: And so I thought, absolutely. I wanna quit right now, but I can do you can do anything for ten more seconds. So then, like, I'm holding on to the bar longer, and it's, like, burning more, but, you can do anything for ten more seconds. Yeah. Now But for how but for how long? Many ten more
Jamie: seconds does it do that for? Right. Yeah. Yeah. I mean, because because it that is a great it's true too. But like, when do you stop? When when do you actually, like,
Scott: stop? When you actually fail. When your body fails.
Jamie: Yeah. I guess you could do that. When you
Scott: You vomit on yourself.
Jamie: Listen, Dom Dom was saying that a bunch of kids threw up the other day in school. They were run they were running and they were sprinting on an inclined treadmill. And he said a bunch of kids a bunch of kids puked.
Scott: Good for them.
Jamie: That's what I said.
Scott: That's amazing. Did you puke?
Jamie: Did I? No. I never threw up running.
Scott: I When I
Jamie: was younger, like, for basketball, a bunch of kids would throw up, like, in the like, we when we used to run for basketball a lot Yeah. We used to do, like, a a lot of, like, suicides for basketball. And some people would, like, would open the gym door and go into the into the, like, vestibule between there and the gym doors Yeah. To get into the building, and they would puke in the garbage cans, like, the in the the lobby. Oh, really? I never did. Dominic didn't, but I I never threw up from running. I never threw up from, like, exhaustion.
Scott: I never
Jamie: saw I was never one of
Scott: those guys. I've I've, like, cramped and
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: That's true. You know, that kind of thing.
Jamie: Never puked, though.
Scott: Gotten very light headed.
Jamie: But never puked.
Scott: Sat down. Never I've never thrown up from that.
Jamie: No. But listen, you Yeah. Push your I think it's good thing.
Scott: I think so too. So, any event, I think the anyway, that was talking about next season, or the season after season.
Jamie: Yeah. Start of season. Right. I wouldn't I wouldn't I would personally, would not worry about that. I'm not worried about this coming season, let alone the following. Spend your energy elsewhere.
Scott: Yes. Good point. I don't know. So, I think that's All right. You know, from Oh, no, no. Hold on. Hold on.
Jamie: Hold on. You got one more?
Scott: Yeah, yeah. We gotta we gotta hold on. Missed one. Gotta shout out Will Knapp. Will Knapp. All four Hudson brothers after the playoffs. Yeah. That would be amazing.
Jamie: That'd be sick. Yes. Fingers crossed. We're kind of working.
Scott: Those Hudson the Hud Lane Hudson's still in the playoffs. Got a game tonight. I can't wait to watch it.
Jamie: Dude. Oh. They can win it tonight.
Scott: No, they can't.
Jamie: Aren't they
Scott: yeah. They can. Sorry. Yes, they can. Yes, can. Yes, they can. Yes. They're on three two.
Jamie: So you have Vegas in the ads.
Scott: Woah. Mariners leading the playoffs in points.
Jamie: Did you see that goal he had?
Scott: The one between the legs? Wow. Dude. That was filthy. Jesus Christ.
Jamie: That was one of the sickest goals I've seen
Scott: in the the one Quinn Hughes, like, did a slap pass off of it? This is the the series before against Dallas,
Jamie: off the skate in. Yes. Did. Do you think he meant to do that?
Scott: Yes. I do. I think
Jamie: he meant to to pass it.
Scott: There was fucking no one there with their stick on the ice.
Jamie: So you think he meant to deflect it off of somebody's
Scott: Yes, think he meant to I think he tried to do that.
Jamie: I would love to see I would love to hear an interview. I would love to go back and listen to an interview from him, and see, like, what like, if he meant to bounce it off. I mean, I'm sure he didn't mean to pass it. That's obvious. He definitely meant to pass it. Whether he meant to deflect it off of somebody, maybe, maybe.
Scott: You know, it's
Jamie: Quinn is a rock star.
Scott: Yeah. So, all four Hudson brothers after the playoffs. Yeah, like, I'm down. I'm sure. Would love to talk to them. A 100%.
Jamie: Are you kidding me? It's kind of in the works.
Scott: Junior player. Let's see. Junior players. Kids who just finished college and juniors? Oh, that's a good question about kids who finish college and juniors. You know, that that next step, haven't talked to too many guests about that, but obviously there's, you know, overseas, there's domestic. -TANCE: You know, I don't know enough about that world other than what we've heard people talk about, like going to, you know, play in like the the coast or the
Intro: What's question? Kids who who just finished college slash
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Like, where do they go? Like, what's the path?
Scott: I get it. It's not clear.
Jamie: We should have I think we can ask I think our next our next couple interviews, we can ask about that, by the way. Because they they are they're we have two two assistant college coaches for major d one programs and a head coach.
Scott: Well, I know for sure, like Major programs. When we talked about the with the college coaches, like, part of their job is for kids who, like, are realizing that they're exiting the game post college. Right? Like, they they Yeah. Universities and staff work with players and help them get set up for whatever their next chapter is, which is great if it's not hockey. Yeah. You know, I'm not sure if that's what this writer is asking about.
Jamie: I'm not
Scott: sure either. But that's definitely part of what, like, athletic departments do, for sure. Then, you know, there's plenty of kids that go on, you know, maybe get to junior, and then they realize, like, you know what, this might not be what I wanna do.
Jamie: Some of them play pro overseas, too.
Scott: But that's the other thing. Or they don't play pro overseas. You know, they just whatever network they have of hockey players, they go to a camp, they get an invite here, you know, you go try out, and, like, you decide whether or not that's the life you wanna live for the next however many years.
Jamie: You know what? I have to tell you, the our next live with Jimmy Dowd
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: It was supposed to be next week, we moved it to the following. Okay? He so it's us with Jimmy Daud again. We're gonna go live with Jimmy Daud again. Yeah. He has a special guest.
Scott: He does. That's cool. Do you know this person? And you're not telling me?
Jamie: I I'm not telling you right now because I I don't wanna ruin it.
Scott: Will you tell me when we get it?
Jamie: Of course, will. Yes. I'll tell you as soon as we
Scott: have It's the E Train, is it?
Jamie: No. No. But as soon it's but but it but that is a question for this gentleman.
Scott: You need get the E Train.
Jamie: Okay. Listen. Okay. I'm down for anybody.
Scott: The OG 88.
Jamie: Listen, we can get Lindross, your boy. We can get him on. I think that's an easy get, by way. I don't think it's
Scott: a Don't say that.
Jamie: I don't think it's problem. Unless he just doesn't wanna come on. But who the fuck doesn't wanna come on our podcast? Everyone wants to come on our podcast.
Scott: No. No. You're just
Jamie: And if you don't, you should.
Scott: No. You're just being weird.
Jamie: No. I'm just being honest.
Scott: Okay. Well, in any event oh, coaches is the other thing. So, well, I think it's we should probably start wrapping this one up. Sure. Right? But Definitely. We'll we're gonna coaches on.
Jamie: Lots of them.
Scott: And when we have the coaches on, we will also revisit junior and or players who are just finishing junior in We'll get to that. But again, thank you everyone for writing in. We'll get goalies on. Shout out Stacy. We will talk some more eight u to 12 u youth tier one. We didn't really dive into that in the car ride home. We'll also continue to talk about those awesome events. Although they are sometimes they're awesome, the car ride home. Not always, but, you know.
Jamie: They should they should they should be non eventful, but sometimes I think we as parents make them more eventful than they need to be. Yeah. You know?
Scott: In any event, sir, what do think? Wrap this one up.
Jamie: Yeah. Thank you very much for listening, guys. Episode six, seven in the books.
Scott: 67.
Jamie: 67. Right? 67 in the books. So we will see you on episode 68.
Scott: That's it. Later, dude. Later, buddy.
Jamie: See you.