Mark Ackers: Welcome to the podcast. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming up in today's episode. Brian, did you used to be crap at sales?
Bryan Mulry: Yes, 100% at the beginning of every new chapter in my sales career, I have been bad at that chapter and then quickly stopped being bad at it
Mark Ackers: on a scale of one to 10. When you think about your crappist, how crap were you?
Unknown: Oh, we're talking like sending 700 word mass emails to 1000 people at a time. We're talking hanging up on someone when they pick up the phone, doing a cold call and then blaming it on technical troubles in an email after them. Like we're talking, not asking people for the money when they were ready to hand over money. We're talking pretty bad at the beginning, I'd had this wonderful two months long training about Google Cloud. As far as I was concerned, I knew everything about Google Cloud. I was 2122 years of age. I knew nothing, right? There were people who had been working on cloud computing longer than I was alive.
Mark Ackers: In today's episode, I want to use your sales coaching brain to pick apart what sales leaders that you've met Google at sales loft, and people that you've spoken with to understand what made them so good. What do the best sellers do, and what don't they do, and what are the winning habits talk to you about at Google, the sales leadership team that you got to experience. What did the best managers have in terms of traits and habit my
Unknown: manager, as SDR manager, he
Mark Ackers: knew 100% what's the one thing that you do consistently as a coach to really help reps level up. There's a lot
Unknown: of limiting beliefs the reps don't know they have. And they will come to a coaching session with someone like myself, and they'll say it out loud, and I'll go, hang on, what? Where did that come from? What are we talking about here? And my job is to pull them back into reality.
Mark Ackers: Hello and welcome to the I used to be crap at sales podcast. My name is Mark Akers. I'm the co founder and Head of Sales here at my sales coach. And we called the podcast that because it's true, and all of our guests say the same. And today I'm joined by a man with a very interesting background, someone who went from selling suits for six euros and a half an hour at the age of 15 to making over 100,000 pounds in sales. This person is a former SDR at Google, SDR and then account manager for sales loft. They are now self employed sales coach and my sales coach coach today on the podcast. It's Brian Murray, Brian, welcome. Great to have you with us. How you feeling?
Unknown: Hello, I'm feeling great. I'm really glad that we're getting to do this absolutely
Mark Ackers: in today's episode, I want to use your sales coaching brain to pick apart what sales leaders that you've met, Google, sales loft and people that you've spoken with to understand what made them so good. I want to also understand about sellers. You know, what do the best sellers do, and what don't they do, and what are the winning habits, so to speak, that's what we're going to get into today. But before all of that, we always start with a yes. No question, Brian, did you used to be crap at sales? Yes, 100% what point of your career rushed to the front of your mind? What
Unknown: really kicked into my brain there was actually the beginning of each role in each new chapter. At the beginning of every new chapter in my sales career, I have been bad at that chapter and then quickly stopped being bad at it. But yeah, I've been crap at sales multiple times, and I will be again on
Mark Ackers: a scale of one to 10 when you think about your crappist, how crap were you? Oh,
Unknown: we're talking like sending 700 word mass emails to 1000 people at a time. We're talking, hanging up on someone when they pick up the phone, doing a cold call, and then blaming it on technical troubles in an email after them, like we're talking, not asking people for the money when they were ready to hand over money. We're we're talking pretty bad luck. Share
Mark Ackers: with us your biggest howler in sales. One
Unknown: of my biggest haulers is actually pretty interesting one, working in sales loft as an account manager. I had a list of people who were not going to renew with us, and burnt people who were very unhappy with us. They unfortunately got a message asking for more money and asking, you know, hey, we've built these wonderful new new features. I think they'll be wonderful for your team. Let's, let's speak about them. And I got a lot of angry messages back. Though I had, I had one job send the right message to the right person, and unfortunately, in a moment of tiredness, I sent it to about 50 of our least happy customers.
Mark Ackers: So bright. What were the repercussions of that? There's
Unknown: obviously that emotional moment when you get that first email back. Go back going, you know, I've already told you I'm going to cancel, or, you know, I've already told you that I don't want to use this product, or I don't already told you that I'm not doing this. And you get that first messages back and you go, Oh, no, I can't believe I did that. Your start goes into the pit of your stomach, but, yeah. The repercussions were that, I guess if I had wanted to try and salvage any of those customers, all the goodwill was gone.
Mark Ackers: I'm guessing you learned from that, though, right? That was a learning moment. And speaking of learning, let's talk about where you learn to sell. So it feels like I need to go to when you were 15 years old, selling suits you. You say, this was your first sales job. This is where you learn that sales should be a conversation between two people, and at some point that conversation money changes hands. How did you learn that in that role? That
Unknown: was a really interesting one. It gave me my foundation for what real selling is, even though I wasn't on commission, I was a retail assistant. I was this young, 15 year old guy who knew how to help people find the right clothes. In the eyes of the business, I shouldn't have been anything more than a guy who knows how to operate a till and hang clothes on a job, right? I actually started quote, unquote, selling out of almost pure boredom. In that place, there were three layers. I was in the basement. And, you know, if people don't come down to the basement, I had no one to talk to. So what happened is I just start chatting with people. You know, someone would be over in suits, and would be over with the with the jeans, we over the shirts. And I just go, you know, have you an event coming up? Or, you know, those suits are great for weddings and things like that. And I just start chatting with people. And after about a year and a half or two years of doing this, and I was, you know, I was in school at the time, so just weekend work, I started to turn it into a game. My greatest achievement, as far as I'm concerned, it was a dude came in for socks and left with a full new suit, three pairs of jeans, three four shirts, a new pair of shoes. And he just came in. He came in wanting socks for a specific thing, and then ended up with a lot of others. And I sort of turned it into a game of, all right, well, let's see what people need. Let's see why they're coming in here and actually looking for clothes. And that's, that's where it really sort of began, of just having conversations with people.
Mark Ackers: And was that all self taught? Like, would you just try to learn from every conversation? Or do you have someone in store that was older than
Unknown: you? So I did that completely myself, but it was more so, yeah, again, it wasn't. There were no benefits to me doing this. I could have been on my phone the whole time, and I would have been paid the exact same amount and got the exact same amount of reward from it. But I, I've always enjoyed just talking to people. I've always enjoyed sort of having these conversations and just striking up conversations with people and seeing what comes from them. And I found very early on that if I put pressure on myself to quote, unquote, sell something or have someone buy something, and I put pressure on the outcome, then I would make a total mess of it. But if I just wanted to chat with people, then that usually sort of ended up having a good time for
Mark Ackers: both of us. So that's interesting. The game wasn't to sell. No,
Unknown: the game was just to have a conversation, and then at certain points I would introduce new things and see if, see if people would have would add to their interest or not. Yeah, it was just a really interesting sort of start to it. But I, at the time, I wouldn't have considered a sales whereas now, now I would understand
Mark Ackers: that. And I think what's interesting though, is it feels at a very young age, you learn, what I think takes sellers far too long to learn, is disconnecting from the outcome, and that's probably because you you weren't paid if they bought anything. It was just a game. But I'm guessing that being able to disconnect from the outcome is something you took with you into your first sales job. And it looks like in between there, there's a little bit of a marketing role with media, HQ, but your first real sales job, to me, looks like was an SDR with Google. Well, it's
Unknown: funny. There's a bit of a gap in there, and it's really interesting. I was a chugger for a little while, a charity mugger, for anyone who doesn't know that word, you most people on the street that are wave at uni going, Hey, can I have your bank account details? That was me. I did it for a summer, and I would consider that to be one of the best sales trainings I've ever had, even though it was one of the worst and most toxic environments I've ever been in in my life. That one was 100% commission sales, that one was standing at the street and waving at people, and that's where sort of numbers and the law of averages really gets hammered in. It was interesting where, you know, as far as we were concerned, 100 waves was eight stops. Oh, sorry, it was 10 stops. Of those 10 stops, you'd get eight conversations. Of those eight conversations, you get five closes, and of those five closes, you get one sale. So it was one of those things where you had to know your numbers, and you'd people talk about it with door knocking, but I knew that if I had spent six hours in a shopping center in the middle of Ireland waving at people, and I'd wave at 300 people and not a single person had stopped, I had to believe, in my heart of hearts, that the next three people that I wave at, just true through law of averages would be the ones that would stop, um, and there was a bunch of different elements that added to that. I would learned a lot about what good sales management is by learning what awful sales management is. And then I learned a lot about sort of myself and how I work in high pressure environments through through that as well. That was kind of a sales environment. That then projected me into deciding that I wanted to go into sales and SDR for Google, because it was a much better environment for
Mark Ackers: I can imagine. I would love to pick your brains on being a chugger. That's not a phrase I've ever heard of before. But let's remain true to the mission this podcast, and let's focus on on later stages in your career. But yeah, I'm sure there's loads you could talk about, and loads of funny stories, I'm sure as well. So we took the job as an SDR with Google. Just tell us about that, right? Google is one of those companies that everyone just thinks must be fun to work there, right? They've got the slides, the bean bags, the table tennis, the whatever, fun chairs and all this stuff. What's it like, being what must be, you know, a young man getting that job at Google, going from working in a clothes shop, being a chugger, using your phrase, to working at Google. What was that like?
Unknown: Well, you know, what's funny, I never saw bean bags, the slides or anything like that, because I started in July 2020, we were all locked down, so I had the glamor and glitz of working from a Chromebook In my bedroom. So that was sort of the extent to which the glam of of Google Cloud came in, um, however, the experience that I had there, what it was like, it was actually really, really interesting, because you'd think that a massive corporation like Google would have everything nailed down, and it's just like every other sales org, you know, we still have problems with sales apps. You still have problems with updating your CRM. You still have problems with, you know, Product Market Fit and messaging and targets and accounts and commissions and everything. It has the exact same challenges. And I think the way they do that is they keep everything small. So I was on a team of about 20 SDRs targeting the globe. However, in that I was broken up into a smaller team after a little while. And at the beginning, I started selling enterprise, and then I, later on, I started selling SMB, but they kept it in quite small, siloed teams to keep that startup culture and that startup feel throughout the massive organization. That's kind of the way that it felt. That's what it was like while I was in there.
Mark Ackers: Would that surprise people? Some of it maybe not like the CRM universal problem, but having that product market fit, I think, would surprise people. Talk to me about the SDRs that you work with when you joined. You've obviously said at the start of the podcast, every job you took you initially were crap at it, and you progressed. But when you reflect back on that SDR team, were you on par? Were they elite? How did that team compare to to yourself?
Unknown: We were normal sellers. We were just regular people. You go out, you make your calls, you send your emails, you do your LinkedIn steps, and you come up with tactics and plans and messaging, and then you send them out to people. And it's funny, I actually think selling for Google Cloud was really difficult, and some people would say, Hal, you're Google. Reason being is, my prospects knew more about Google Cloud than I ever could. There were three players in that space, AWS, Azure and GCP, so it's Amazon, Microsoft and Google. I would reach out to a CTO about a specific problem, and they'd go, yeah, all of my engineers already know about that. They're using this to do it. Your product is crap because of this. You know, Google Cloud doesn't fix that problem. For me, they knew more about it than I did, so a big part of my job was either re educating people or finding the right people with the right messaging. It was a lot of testing, but that was a strange environment, and that you think you know, everyone wants to talk to Google. They don't, if they know exactly what you do better than you do,
Mark Ackers: and I think that's really interesting. One of the things that I talk regularly about when it comes to the challenges SDR face is they're reaching out to people that they just don't understand, right? Right, like, unless you're going to tell me otherwise, I'm guessing you've not really got a clue at this point in your career what a CTO goes to work for, the challenges they face, the problems that are going to resonate, what they moan about, the pain of not being on your platform and product and and you don't speak their language, and when you're spending someone that thinks they know everything that can be really difficult. So who enabled you as an SDR and as an SDR function at Google, who helped you level up and combat that?
Unknown: There was a couple of people in that. So there were obviously the internal ones. There were people who'd been around for a little bit longer. Were the actual ladies in Google Cloud who obviously had been there longer and knew more about it. Them bringing me on calls really helped me understand how much I didn't know. Obviously there was enablement people internally, a guy called Ludwig Hofmeister, which is an incredible sales enablement leader based in Ireland, despite his very German name. However, that actually, at that point in my career, I actually discovered John Barrows sales and for anyone who doesn't know him, he's an American sales trainer, and he puts out a lot of content. And I was kind of looking at it going, Oh, that's interesting. That's interesting. That's interesting. I connected with a dude called James Buckley who used to work, or still works with John Barrows. James is this American trainer. And we just got chatting, and then all of a sudden James was introducing me to new ways of thinking and new ways of doing that were very brilliant. They were very me and how I operate. They were very authentic. And I had to lean into the fact that I didn't know as much as the CTOs, and my messaging changed from I know everything to I know a lot about this one thing that you probably don't know about, let me educate you. Let me help you. Let me let me challenge you on this. Or while you know way more about the technical specs, here's what everybody else is doing. Can I show you how this could benefit you as well? And it became a really interesting sort of way of leaning into my incompetence or not knowing what I was doing. Have you come across the Dunning Kruger effect
Mark Ackers: I have? But why don't you tell it for those that are listening? Okay,
Unknown: it's very, very simple. At the very beginning of learning about a topic, after you get about, you know about 10% of the material, your confidence is super high. You're like, I put 20 hours into this thing. I know so much about it. And then you put 56789, 10, more hours into it, and you realize you know nothing. And what happens is you go into what's known as the valley of despair, where you go, I will never know everything that I need to know. And the more time and energy and effort you put into that topic, that task, that skill, you go way back up in your confidence levels, but it takes a lot longer, and you go from sort of unconscious incompetence, where you think you know a lot, but you actually don't, to conscious competence, where you know All of the things that you should know, plus, plus what you don't know and what I what I ended up doing as an as an as an SDR is at the beginning I'd had this wonderful two months long training about Google Cloud. As far as I was concerned, I knew everything about Google Cloud. Was 19 years of age. Oh no, I wasn't. I was 2122 years of age, I knew nothing, right? There were people who had been working on cloud computing longer than I was alive that I was trying to sell to. But after, after a while and listening to people and understanding just how much I didn't know, I realized, all right, I'm now going to lean into my actual role here, which is connecting people, making a connection, putting messages in front of people working hard. That's my value here, not my knowledge.
Mark Ackers: And that's a great sound bite. Hello. I'm Mark the host of the I used to be crap at sales podcast. Thank you for listening. We called the podcast that because it's true and all of our guests say the same. As a sales leader, you would have been crap ourselves once, no doubt, but that changed, and now you're responsible for a team. It's your job to help that team get to where you need to get them to, but also it's your job to develop and grow them as sales professionals. Here's the problem, you don't have the time. You are too busy with other competing priorities, and I get it, but that doesn't mean your sales team should miss out. It doesn't mean they shouldn't fulfill that potential and grow that's where we come in. If you'd be curious to hear about how we're working with organizations providing their team with expert coaching on a one to one basis, get in touch. Be happy to have a conversation. What I love about how you explain that is it? It could be coupled very nicely to, I think the challenge we also face as sellers and as humans is this desire to give away information, to show how smart we are. You know, it's, it's, it's like the little professor in us. And I think one of the things you see when people start a role is because they don't know they ask loads of questions. But when they get to sort of six, 912, months into the role, they think they know the answers. So their discoveries come more about giving information than gathering information because they want to showcase. Look, I know I know this. I'm an expert in this. You will trust me. But actually, what you've got to do is you've got to get over that hump and get to a place where you've got the knowledge, but you act like a novice, and you continue to discover. And then only when it becomes really the right time do you share the information. It couples really nicely with with your theory, in my opinion,
Unknown: that actually comes from a place of almost insecurity. It's like, I need to prove that I know about this. Instead of actually knowing about it, there's a there's a big level to it, where people go. Go. It's almost like imposter syndrome, where they go, if I don't show in my questions, then I know exactly what they're talking about. Then they'll think, x, y, z, and when you get to a point where you realize nobody's thinking about you, that then can help get through that hump that we're talking about
Mark Ackers: absolutely and that is a little bit like what you spoke about earlier on. You're reaching out to CTOs that have been doing this longer than you've been alive. And imposter syndrome is just something that affects everybody from SDR all the way up to the very top of the chain. Right? Everyone has a level of imposter syndrome, but it's something that's hard to self diagnose. It's hard to admit. It's even harder to get coaching on that, and it can affect people so much in their sales conversations because they don't believe that their prospect will see them at the same level. One of the things I always say to people when they start working with me is, even after a day, you know more than 99.99% of the world about this company, because you've had eight hours here, right? And it's about giving them that confidence. Let's talk about your manager at Google. Then talk to me about, well, not just specifically Google, I suppose, because you were speaking to other managers in the business as well, right? Like you would have met other sales leaders, but rather than Yeah, focus on the one person. Talk to me about at Google, the sales leadership team that you got to experience. What did the best managers have in terms of traits and habits, because you've alluded to learning about bad practice in an earlier role. Talk to me about what traits and habits good managers have from your experience at Google. In Google,
Unknown: there was a couple of different levels, but every single manager knew their role in that almost hierarchy. My manager, as SDR manager, he knew 100% his job was to look after me and make sure that I as his rep was fine, emotionally, physically and hitting target. All of those were key to him, especially during a pandemic. Right above him, he that manager knew that he needed to make sure that all the SDR managers were fine, that they were all working well, but they were able to produce their results, and then above them, they actually had to look at overall org structure. And it's funny, knowing this from an SDR level, I knew my manager, knew exactly his role, who supported him, and how he was supported, and knew how that rolls up the chain. And because it was so clearly defined, not in rigid senses, but in a secure sense, he knew exactly where his boundaries were here, where his responsibilities were, and that allowed him to then be creative within those walls. As far as I'm concerned, when the walls are blurred or when the obstacles are blurred, you there's no room for creativity. Creativity is wonderful in a box. You just have to know where the box is. So my manager knew exactly what he needed to get out of me, and then he focused properly on two things. I was at the beginning of my SDR career. We focused very much on numbers, not on output, but on the numbers that actually mattered. He shared with me the difference between, you know, your vanity metrics of KPIs plus the ones that actually mattered, and then how they filtered into the overall org. And we also focused on numbers of other performers and top, top sellers and top performers. He gave me something very, very tangible to do, and now looking back, it was because he wanted me to get my reps in. He wanted to make me to make sure that I was getting 1000 calls in, you know, a year or 1000 emails. Because the more he knew, the more I did it, the better I was going to become. So throughout that, he focused very much on where I was at in my career, not where he wanted me to be. That was key. And then it was funny, because we're a sales where we were sales role, he actually took the pressure off on the results side, not more. So he took the thread away. He was like, if things start to go south, here's the process. And he did this very early in my career. He was like, here's the process. You're not going to get a knock on the door one day and be told you're out. Here's what the process is for and why it is the way it is and how it works. And that removed the anxiety from me, not the anxiety of selling that, but that didn't leave for years, but the anxiety of, if I'm bad at this, I will be let go. I was almost like I was given permission to be bad at it at the beginning. And that was really key. So it was a couple of different elements to it, and that he was secure in himself and knew where his boundaries were. I knew where my boundaries were. I knew the worst case scenario. I knew the best case scenario, and he gave me something very clear to focus on, which was, here are the numbers that we need to look at. At the beginning of your career. That was key for me.
Mark Ackers: Sounds like he just knew how to create an environment where you felt comfortable. All to do what was being asked of you and be successful. About the pressure. What did your one to ones typically look like? Then my
Unknown: one to ones were manager one to ones. They were not coaching one to ones. They were number run throughs. Here's what other people are doing. Maybe show me an email or two, but it was every center will know this. You get in, you talk about your numbers, you talk about what, what's going well and why it's cost going badly. You're asked a couple of questions. You don't really have any follow ups to do afterwards. It's quote, unquote check ins. Are you doing? Okay? What are your numbers like? Okay, when you change that number, make more calls, make more emails, do these things, etc. It's nothing it's nothing crazy. The coaching element was led by somebody else. So he just, he just did the standard manager stuff.
Mark Ackers: How did that make you feel?
Unknown: Pretty fine. I was happy with that at the time. I didn't know what I was missing. Okay, I did feel a little quote, unquote scrutinized at the time, but that's kinda, that's part of the job. That's part of the role. You know, it was more being held accountable to the right things. I don't have any sort of really positive or negatives to say, with that sort of management style, it suited what he needed to do and it suited what I needed. Kind of at the time, I would never take that management style now, given you know, the journey I've been on so
Mark Ackers: you said you didn't know you missing out on, looking back now, with your coaching hat on, what were you missing out on questions,
Unknown: not answers? I would say something along the lines of, I'm not getting enough call connects. And the response would be, here's how you fix that. That's a manager hat. Or we need to get your call connect rates up. We're going to focus on these numbers and hits, hey, this is how we're going to focus on those numbers. A coaching hat is very different. The A if someone comes to me and says, I need to get my call connects up, I start asking questions. And that's what coaches will do. Coaches will ask questions like, Who you're calling, when are you calling? Them, what numbers are you using? And they will try and gain a much deeper understanding. And then what I would have liked was for him to ask me questions, whereby the direction of the questions helped me to come to my own conclusion. Easiest way to describe this is, at the beginning, I would tell Nathan, every single time, I'm bad at cold calling, because all I was getting was non Connect. I wasn't really connecting with people. Turns out CTOs don't pick up numbers who knew. And as because I wasn't getting enough reps, and I was like, I'm bad at cold calling. And as a manager, he'd go, No, you're not. Here's how we boost your Connect rights. As a coach, you have to ask the question, why are you bad at cold calling? And you get down to making the other person realize that the reality is that they're not talking to enough people because of call connect rates, not that they're bad at calling. And I would have enjoyed a little bit more of that sort of paradigm breaking at the time. Breaking earlier on in my career.
Mark Ackers: Here's the thing, that's how most one to ones go. Most managers don't coach. Why do you think that is
Unknown: they don't know any better? Um, you know, they were, they were managed in a certain way, so they'll get mad. Don't matter someone else in a certain way. But also, their managers are asking them about about numbers and results and things like that. So if the CRO is asking the VP of sales, asking the sales directors, asking the SDR leaders, asking the SDRs and its numbers all the way down, what else you gonna get when I was in, when I was an account manager, at least at the beginning, most of my one on ones were just deal reviews. What's happening this deal? What's happening this deal? Something this deal? What's happening this deal? Do you have next steps? Yes. Yes. Deal? Do you have next steps? Yes, yes, yes. Okay, cool. Update the CRM, please. You know that was most of those sessions we then had to dedicate time to coaching, and sometimes, sometimes it happened and sometimes they didn't. But you know, the manager one on ones where someone was about was going to ask them what I was doing, those answers were always given, whereas the coaching ones now they weren't always fulfilled, at least at the beginning of my time as an AM,
Mark Ackers: and that is where the challenge lies. The manager using the one to one to fulfill their agenda and their goals for what they need to provide up, rather than making it about the individual, you talk about how your journey has shown you a different way. Let's get into that SalesLoft, you took another SDR role at SalesLoft at the time. What was the appeal?
Unknown: SalesLoft had the best sellers in the world selling a technology that I loved. I got to a place in Google Cloud. So Google Cloud bought sales left as a tool to use, and I was the EMEA guinea pig for that. So I was spending half my days teaching people how to use sales left, and half my days teaching people, you know, cold calling and selling for for Google Cloud. And at that point, I was quite good at in Google Cloud, I was the top there's a story about me hitting q2 target in four days with my my second last quarter there. So I had a lot of time on my hands to fulfill with this. And I kind of looked up for a second, and I saw the AES that had years of experience in Google Cloud, and I could see myself on a track earning 100k a year, 24 years of age. Working for Google, living in Dublin, selling Google Cloud to small businesses. You know, really, really cool work, but it would have required me to care about CTOs, CIOs and their problems. And I went, I don't know, I spent half my days talking about this really cool tech. And then when I looked at the business, it was full of some of the best sellers, the best sales leadership, the best sales thought leadership, the best sales culture. I'd come across given the opportunity to move to London, and I went, you know what I want to get in there. So then I did that. I applied for sales and after and got in there, and
Mark Ackers: it feels like you had huge success there. I noticed in your LinkedIn, it said you were the second highest performing SDR in your region, Callum McKenzie and yeah, shout out to Callum McKenzie for for being number one. Um, what was Callum doing differently to you? That
Unknown: man is a workhorse. That man is nothing but consistent. Callum just gets it done. So
Mark Ackers: I was going to push you on that, because when I ask sales leaders, what do their top performers do differently? And they say, Oh, they work harder, or they're a workhorse, I'm sure they are. But there are traits and habits that are different, and it feels like you've just touched upon it there as well. So Callum would just continually ask for help, seek feedback and use that, I'm guessing. What about in his conversations? What was he doing differently there, when he was reaching out and booking meetings as an SDR, was he doing anything different with his outreach? To you very
Unknown: little we'd always share things across teams. In his continuous work on himself was consistent. So I
Mark Ackers: get he was working on himself. I get that he was seeking feedback. I get that he worked maybe just that, just a little bit harder and maybe more focused and didn't maybe veer off the track to try new things. But I'm curious in his actual conversations, was he doing anything differently with prospects?
Unknown: The conversations that we were, we were having, would have been quite similar, maybe 1% to 5% different. It was the it was the the other work that I think made the made the difference
Mark Ackers: talking about people that weren't as successful as you and and Callum in the role, what mistakes are they making that could have been avoided.
Unknown: There is a set way of doing the SDR role, or a role in your organization, and what everyone will do is they'll tell you go and copy the top performer. Okay, so let's say you do that. You go in, you take exactly the top performer is doing, and you copy it. If that is all you do, you will be a middle of the middle of the rail performer. Because what people would do is they'd set one way of doing things and then consistently repeat that one way of doing it, regardless as to whether it was working or not, or getting them the results. Are they not it was the quote, unquote, right way of doing it, and they were looking for the right way of doing it. Unfortunately, with sales, there's no right way of doing things. Everything is relative. Everything is relative to the situation that you're in. The markets. Change the person in front of you, change their mood has changed from the last time you talked to them. Everything is consistently changing, and you as a seller need to be able to maneuver that and watch out for that, and be ready for that. Rather than going, Hey, I've put the right ingredients in and I've put it in the right process. Why am I not getting the results? Sales isn't like that. And people like to think of it as, you know, people like to think of it as that, especially because we were working with a product that sort of processified the outbound process. It was, you know, it was almost conducive to having a mechanized or a process driven methodology of, if I just put more inputs in, I'll get more outputs. But that that gets you a baseline, the extra bits of becoming a top performing seller. You need a bit of creativity. You need a big extra ways of doing things. You need consistent, continuous improvement. That's, that's the difference that it makes between someone who becomes a middle of the road performer and someone who, who, I guess, yeah, gets bored too quickly to stay, to stay a middle of the road performer. It
Mark Ackers: feels like it sounds loft is where you really flourished and developed as a sales professional. Talk about the manager that you had there and the impact they had on your development. So I had three
Unknown: managers in sales left. I had one as an SDR, and then I had two as an account manager. What was really consistent was their care and attention for me and my personal growth and my personal professional development that was above and beyond anything I'd ever seen. They really taught me the difference between a manager and a leader. Managers focus on numbers, leaders focus on trajectory and just growth in general. And I. What I really learned was that a great leader can manage a team quite well, but a great manager isn't a good leader, and we can spend a long time chatting about the differences between the two, but what they did quite differently was find opportunities for me proactively, or point out things I didn't know, be able to tell me exactly what other reps were doing that was and wasn't working, and proactively provide that information to me so I could add it into my mix and force me to take breaks. That was key for every single one of my managers forced me to take breaks I didn't take a proper break in sales loft for 10 months. A reason being was because for my first five, six months, I was on the Enterprise team, and then I was like, Yeah, I'll take an I'll take a new I'll take a break when the new year begins. And then all of a sudden, I was kicked to a new team, and I went, Well, I can't change now. So spent a couple months almost completely burned myself out, went on holidays for two weeks, came back, hit my target in about a week and a half, and they're proactively making sure that it doesn't matter what Brian thinks. If Brian thinks what he's doing is okay, I'm gonna push him to look after himself. That was key for me, a guest
Mark Ackers: I recently had on the on the podcast, spoke about that. Spoke about managers identifying burnout, encouraging people to use their holidays and actually not just have, like one day off. It's like, take a break, take a week off, take two weeks off, and you speak about experiencing burnout. What are the early signs to look for in someone burning out.
Unknown: You're on autopilot. You're working on autopilot. You're going to work because work is the next best thing to do. You your calendar is dictating everything in your life, and you're just following that. You're up. You're living life on autopilot. As a lot of people will feel that they live in life on autopilot, and that's fine. You might not necessarily be burned out, but in the sales role, if there is no creativity, if there is no new way of doing things, if there are no choices in your day, if it's okay, I'm gonna get in. I'm gonna answer my emails. I'm gonna answer my slacks. I'm gonna do these meetings, and then I'm gonna do x, y, z, and then I'm gonna go home and I'm gonna do this thing. I might go to the gym. You might go to the gym. You might be doing all the right things, but if you're not actually making any choices, including in your day, that I think is a first step medically, you lose touch with your emotions. You start to dissociate. I'm a well therapized individual now at this point, after having burnt out twice, so I have now able to spot it way quicker with my connection to emotions. But for anyone who isn't, if you find that you're on autopilot and haven't taken a break in a long time, check just see at that point. Oh, and if the thought of taking a break scares you, they're probably burned out. If the idea of, oh, wow, I can't take a week off, not because of, you know, extranuting circumstances, because I but because I don't know what that's like, then you've been living in the matrix too long.
Mark Ackers: So as a coach, how do you spot burnout in an individual before they spot it themselves? You you speak about being proactive. As a great leader, how do you proactively spot burnout in someone else?
Unknown: They have absolutely no emotions when they're speaking about the problem that they're coming to you with. Nobody goes to a coach without having some kind of problem in their head, or at least our jobs as coaches is to pull problems out of people. So even if they come in and go, I'm fine, my job is to help find areas of improvement. And if I can't attach that to any kind of emotion whatsoever, that's a red flag for me. If someone is telling me, you know, I'm not hitting my target, and I go, how does that make you feel? And they go, Well, I'm not hitting my target. Like, hang on, how does that make you feel? And if they can't verbalize any kind of emotion whatsoever, I'm I'm red flags are going off in my head. And I'm going all right, where am I finding you? What's going on here? There's additional things, and I'm starting to talk about life and family and situations and things like that, which can make some people relatively uncomfortable, because, you know, you come to me for cold calling, email writing, just getting better as a seller, and all of a sudden I'm talking about your dad. It's not even that. It's all linked. It's all imperative to each other. Do you know the worst sales days I've had have been after fights at my girlfriend, but not realizing that I was walking into work with that energy. No wonder they weren't enjoying my cold calls. I was still angry about the conversation I had with my girlfriend. I was angry on the phone. Um, so that is how I spotted as a coach, I try and attach it to some kind of emotion. And most people are able to verbalize an emotion, even if they're not, you know, Zen and monk like you're able to verbalize some kind of emotion. That's what's key to me.
Mark Ackers: And let's talk about now the people that you've had that you would speak to, right? So your boss is at Google, at sounds loft, and you spoke really high. In particular about sales loft hiring the best sales leaders and sales talent. No doubt they didn't suffer any falls at Google as well from a leadership point of view. Indeed, let's imagine you were tasked with creating the perfect sales leader. What habits and traits do they have? What do they care about where do they spend their time?
Unknown: A manager is someone who internally cares deeply about the data, and externally, could not care less. It's such a strange sentence, but what I mean by that is they themselves need to be on top of the machine that they're running, every element of it, know, every cog, every spoke, every single element of that. And then when it comes to working with their reps, they shouldn't even talk about numbers. They should go way deeper into the person who they are, what they're getting on with, what they do and don't even like finding, creating in their environment that works best for them. Metea shaper, who now runs her own business and was an incredible SDR for sales out on the doc market, didn't call call because she booked all of her meetings through LinkedIn. And then there were some people who just co called in sales lot and booked all the meetings through that and did never, never did a single thing on LinkedIn and being able to find the right thing for your reps rather than telling them what the right thing is. That's what the manager should be. But they themselves should know every single element of the data, the KPIs, how it marks, how it moves, everything like that. But I, as a rep shouldn't know that you care about your numbers at all, because when you are only numbers focused, I'm only numbers focused, and that's going to lead to bad behaviors.
Mark Ackers: And how does your answer change? And if I said sales leader, leaders
Unknown: are all about empowerment. So with them, it's almost like a folly. Sharp is one of the best people in this space where what he does is he goes, All right, is the entire sales org happy? If it is, I know that if the targets are realistic, they're gonna hit it. Now, obviously he's way more detailed than that, but a leadership in a role is very much about empowerment rather than enablement. Managers job should be to take all the obstacles out of the way and just let you run. A leader's job should be to point you in the right direction and make fill you up with energy juice. If I were to create a leader, what they do all day, every day, is speak to reps, customers, things like that, and focus deeply on the human element and the human level. And then they should be solving problems on, how do I make the humans happier and better? Not the machine, but everybody in that machine that I think is the difference between a leader, some
Mark Ackers: great answers there. I've really enjoyed listening to you there, Brian explain what a great manager comprises of and a great leader, and the analogies and stories as well. Let's come with some closing questions to bring us towards the end of the podcast. I'm keen, as a sales coach that you are to get your take on this. How often should a sales rep receive one to one coaching from their manager?
Unknown: My standard is once a week, right? And it's dedicated coaching time, not manager time. It's dedicated upskilling things like that, right? That's that's a standard answer. Some managers shouldn't coach and some reps should not be coached by their managers. Reps will need continuous development and someone they can speak with about the coaching element. But the whole point of a coach is to ask questions and guide people to answering their own questions. A manager's job, in some cases, is to give answers, and a coach's job is not to give answers. So how often it should be happening? Happening is, you know, as often as needed, at the very beginning of a career, perhaps mainly coaching, every 123, days. Whereas, you know, if you've had 30 years in sales, you're actually going to probably shy away from a coach because you might not even want to
Mark Ackers: be called out. Talk to me more about that. What? What is your experience of the average manager and their coaching ability.
Unknown: This comes from not my experience as a coach E but my experience of selling to sales managers and sales leaders. Typically the route is, you were a wonderful rep, so let's put you in charge of a bunch of other reps, and then you can just, you know, create a bunch more use right? That's the standard track for for managers. And someone goes, Wait, I can make money off somebody else's deals and earn a commission on their percentage as well as my own. Yeah, sure, I'll do that. I'll just tell them what I did, and then they get numbers focused, and the skills that helped them really excel as a rep are the exact. Opposite skills that help them as a manager. Harvard Business Review did deals on did did work on this. Years ago, I studied, I learned about this in college. Number one skill of a of a sales manager is listening. That is not necessarily, although it should be, but that is not necessarily the number one skill of a top performing sales rep. The idea is that most managers are results focused and results oriented. From a numbers perspective, coaches are growth focused and progression focused. So they're not necessarily always focused on numbers. They're they're focused on, I guess expanding the human being that's in front of them. And those are not always the same, and they should they shouldn't have to be. You know, sometimes, if you need a hardcore numbers driven manager that can instill fear in a bunch of junior reps, and that's what your business is built on, they're not going to be a good coach, and that's on purpose. I
Mark Ackers: couldn't agree more. But therein lies the challenge, because we spoke about this earlier on, you feed up as a manager, and therefore you have your own goals, your own objectives. You've got your own reports to put together, and it's almost an impossible task to be a manager and a coach, because you have your own agenda. You have things that you need that team to do, and that might not align to their growth needs, and therein lies, lies the challenge. And that's why we have people like you and my sales coach to be that external person that isn't connected to the goals, isn't connected to the to the company, number and visiting and you can spend your time what you're very good at not being connected to the outcome. This is about being connected to the individual and their needs. What's the one thing that you do consistently as a coach to really help reps level up?
Unknown: Every rep has a stupid idea in their head that I need to squash. And it's not the same one, but it is every rep has this limiting belief, or a limiting belief, or just something in their head that they believe about themselves that is not reality. If you say I'm bad at cold calling, or I'm not a good salesperson, or even something as innocuous as I shouldn't be here, or I'm the worst person on this team. There's a lot of limiting beliefs the reps don't know they have. And they will come to a coaching session with someone like myself, and they'll say it out loud, and I'll go, Hang on. What? Where did that come from? What are we talking about here? And my job is to pull them back into reality and go, hang on. You're telling me that because you missed target last month, and you're working really hard, but you're selling to the French market, and they're all gone in August, that you're a bad rep. And they're like, Huh? I'm like, Yeah, that's what you're telling me that is sort of key for me as a coach, is pulling these limiting beliefs and just pulling these these things that people just take for granted about themselves, all day, every day, and then all of a sudden they speak in front of someone like me, and I go, what? And I get to break those beliefs. That's that's a big part of my job.
Mark Ackers: I see that all the time. One of the things that we do at my sales coach is we provide assessments that assess individuals and actually compares them to 2.4 million other sales professionals. And one of the competencies it looks at is self, self limiting beliefs, but actually supportive beliefs. And one of the things that we see is in low to mid performers is their supportive belief is low. And what that means is they let what they think be true, become true, right? So they think I'm a bad cold caller. They take that into their work, and they don't do it. They shy away from it. And I think this all ties back to that self limiting belief, that imposter syndrome, that anxiety that turns into reluctance, that turns into what is a real killer in sales or procrastination, not doing anything, focusing on other tasks.
Unknown: Oh, man, I remember being busy for two hours a day filling info at the CRM
Mark Ackers: exactly that. I'm going to end it with one final question, cool. What's the best piece of advice a sales leader has ever given you?
Unknown: It's not about you, simple as that. It's not about me, but that works across every other area of sales. Do what I mean, had a good day. Great, not about you. Had a bad day. Great not about you. Someone hangs up on you, and you know, I've been told some awful things. I'm calling cold calls that have nothing to do with me. I was just the wrong play, wrong place, the right time. My messaging. Soon as I'm talking about me and what I do and how I work, I'm in the wrong place, because it's not about me, it's about them and their pains. When bad things have happened in sales, it's not been about me when great things have happened in sales, it's not been about me. This idea of it's not about you, really puts things into perspective. You're still in control. No, you're still in charge, still your responsibility. But when you realize that the world of sales, it's not about you, it's about everything and everybody else, you start focusing on everything and everybody else, instead of focusing on yourself.
Mark Ackers: It's a great answer. The only thing I'd add to that, as you said, it's across sounds. I think that's across life. I think if you can put it's not about you at the front of your mind, and engage other people like the conversations you have, what you learn like just be interesting other people to be interesting. It's one of the worst habits you can see in someone is when you start talking and they try, they're trying to connect with you, but they make it about them, right? It's like, oh, yeah, that's happened to me. And all of a sudden you're hearing their story. And it comes back down to what we said early on, those insecurities that need to be like that, that little professor, where you want to connect with that person, and the only way, you know, do that is to talk about the same thing, but make it about you, because that's where you're comfortable. I think that is one of the things that you have to break in sales, and you do that by learning it. So I think whoever gave you that advice really knew what they're doing, and I'm sure stood up with shed. Think whoever gave you that advice really knew what they're doing, and I'm sure stood up with shed. Can I
Unknown: give you a second free one? Please? Second free one. And this was given, I can't remember the exact context, but it switched my brain when it came to sort of like internal promotions and things like that, or just how I worked. Everyone will tell you, it's not about what you know. It's about who you know. That's incorrect. It's about who knows you. It's very different. It's not about who you know in your sort of corporate ladder or internal stuff. It's about who knows you, so making sure that you're in front of the right person with the right message at the right time, and that the internal conversations are being had about you, that's key. So don't, don't think about it as you know. It's not about what I know. It's about who I know. Doesn't matter who you know. It's about who knows you and Associates you with that specific thing that's going to be key for quote, brand building. But internal brand is what got me my my promotions in sales left and in Google, and what got me from Google to sales loft, and then what got me from sales left to going out on my own. So make sure that when you're focusing all this stuff, it's about who knows you as well, really,
Mark Ackers: please. You added that Brian, that was, that was really, really interesting. Um, that does bring us to the end of the podcast. Even what you just said there, I can ask so many questions about that, but mindful of time, where can listeners find more about you and connect with you, what tell us more about what you're
Unknown: doing today? So you're gonna look you're gonna find me on LinkedIn. That's the number one place to find me. I'm gonna ask you a request of you, though, when you find me on LinkedIn, if you've come for me from this podcast, or if we're already connected, just drop me a message on LinkedIn that says, you know, hey, saw you on that podcast. Loved it, hated it. Hated your accent, hated your background, whatever. Why are your face covered in spots? Those kinds of things, right? And the reason that I say that is not for my benefit, it's, it's for yours. What I say this on every webinar I do, if, let's say, in a year's time, you reach out to me needing help with something, and I scroll up and I see that we've already spoken briefly about the podcast that I did, and I've got really positive associations with this podcast, then I'll go, oh yeah, cool. I'll help that person, rather than the dozens of people who will reach out and go, Hey, Brian, can I have 10 minutes of your time to pick your brain about X problem? And about X problem? I will be more likely to help. And I would recommend you do this with every single person that you listen to on a podcast or or a webinar or a live event or anything like that. Just send them a quick message when you're connecting, saying, I saw I found you on X thing because it will benefit you and it benefits us as well, because people we love to know where, where and how people come from, come to us. You.