This episode's guest is a long-time friend whom Mike met at the World Domination Summit. He is the founder of Productive Flourishing, a best-selling author, the host of the Creative Giant podcast, and a productivity expert: Charlie Gilkey.
This episode's guest is Mike's long-time friend whom he met at the World Domination Summit. He is the founder of Productive Flourishing, a best-selling author, the host of the Creative Giant podcast, and a productivity expert: Charlie Gilkey.
Charlie helps creative people to start finishing stuff that matters. This involves weeding out through the noise of various tasks, priorities, and projects through Project Cagematch, and other productivity concepts up his sleeve. Half an hour is never enough for Mike and Charlie as they geeked out and chatted on various subjects.
In this week’s episode, they discussed about:
- Charlie’s views on starting the year and how he (like Mike) decides on starting it in a different month than January (03:55; 05:32).
- What got him – or necessitated him – to get into productivity (06:42), and how being a person of multiple interests had him realize the lack of conversation on productivity in the academe (09:11).
- A brief background/history of the productivity movement and resource people (10:01), and how the productivity scene is much more competitive and challenging to break into currently (11:40).
- His tips on what people can do to wade through opportunities amidst ongoing projects (15:55).
- How to apply the Project Cagematch (a concept that originated from wrestling) in planning and prioritizing, which starts with self-compassion (16:04; 19:30) and how the process reveals our true values and goals (20:42).
- The one word to remove from our mental dialogues (18:15).
- Priorities and aspirations: The difference between the two and our tendency to confuse these ideas (21:30).
- How the starts and finishes of projects are more "hyped" concepts, leaving behind the middle part – and how to deal with messy middles and thrashing (22:06).
- His thoughts on letting go – which involves reviewing stuff periodically, updating awareness (28:25), recognizing changes (32:12), and the idea of sustainable mediocrity (34:09).
- Productive Flourishing | Charlie Gilkey
- How to Referee Your Project Cagematch (and Unveil Your Values & Priorities) | Productive Flourishing
- Think Better, Live Better
- Fat and Lazy by CaseyNeistat | YouTube
- Twitter | Charley Gilkey
There’s still so much for Charlie and Mike to talk about – so they did that and Mike is using it as one of the bonus episodes exclusive to Patreon supporters. If you want to hear more from Charlie and if you’re not yet a patron of the podcast over at Patreon, now is the best time to do it! Mike has more exclusive content and special perks for patrons, so check it out by clicking here.
You can also show your support by leaving a rating and review in whatever podcast platform you listen to. Taking just a moment to do that will help Mike learn what he needs to do make the show even better.
What is The Productivityist Podcast: A Time Management and Personal Productivity Talk Show?
Hosted by productivity strategist Mike Vardy, The Productivityist Podcast is a weekly show that discusses tips, tools, tactics, and tricks that are designed to help you take your productivity, time management, goals, to do lists, habits, and workflow to new heights - both at work and at home. If you're looking to focus your efforts on getting the right things done and start living the good life, then this weekly conversational podcast – crafted in the tradition of Slate's Working, Back to Work, and HBR IdeaCast – is for you.