We see physical rigidity in new tennis players all the time but are we able to appreciate their perspective and in turn handle it with care? In this episode we consider what emotions and thoughts feed into emotional rigidity that lead to physical rigidity and eventually overwhelm and a decision to peace out from tennis.
Someone new to the sport could experience blocks related to the emotional chain from:
- Walking into the tennis club - a place they either haven't visited or don't visit that often
- Wearing tennis shoes they don't normally wear
- Gripping a tennis racquet they don't normally grip
- Interacting with people they don't normally interact with
- Being asked to move their body in ways they don't normally move them
- Listening to and processing instructions from a coach you don't regularly listen to
- Converting these instructions into automated body responses
We end considering that emotional rigidity can lead to intellectual rigidity and hinder learning and developing a love for the sport of tennis.
Thanks for joining us on our journey!
What is Tennis Rockers?
Are you ready to re-imagine and reconstruct the way you realize not just the game of tennis but all the other ways you compete in life? Tennis Rockers pull together beliefs, concepts, ideas, people, and values from a cross-section of multi-disciplinary fields for the purpose of doing things a little different. Tennis Rockers don't just want to change the game, they want to help people think about changing how they see and live their lives.
Coach Claude and coach Sully cordially invite you to put the pedal to the metal and join an unconventional conversation on tennis and life. Nothing good comes from standing still.