Welcome to the Soul Touched by Dogs Podcast, the show for dog lovers who see dogs not as toys or tools, but wise souls worth our respect and care. I'm an Herrmann, and I'm your host. I talk to poor some humans, people who do great work for dogs and their people. So come and join us for today's conversation.
Anke: Hello and welcome, Renee and Jim. I'm
Rene: super excited to have you here. It's great to be here. Thank you so much. This is Renee, everybody.
Jim: Thank you. I'm Jim from Tripawds. Thanks for having us.
Anke: Awesome. Awesome. So the name already gives a little bit away, but before we, well, what, what we're talking about today, but before we go there, give us like the two minute bird's eye overview. So where are you based and you know, what are Tripawds all
Jim: about? So Tripawds is a virtual organization that's based on your desktop. It's around the world, and we'll get into the story of why. Um, we traveled full RV for 16 plus years. But currently, we're based in Willow, Alaska. We have never experienced winter in Alaska, so we're currently in Alaska for the winter. Technically, uh, our foundation is formed in Texas, United States.
Rene: And it's funny because dogs are what brought us to Alaska. Um, we are here because one of our members had a three legged husky who was a competitive sled dog. And, uh, they have always come up here for winter and they kind of talked us into coming up here after knowing them for many years. And we're so glad we did. We're having a blast just living life, being surrounded by dogs and helping people through Tripawds. Normally we go south. Yeah.
Anke: That sounds, that sounds amazing. I'm like, wait, wait, what? Alaska? Jesus. Like who would go there in winter, right? If you're not a husky, let's say. Right. So tell, tell us a little bit about Tripawds. I like, I can see like, you know, if you're watching the video, you can see it, but there, so it's like, well, it's like tripod, but with bows. So what, what, what's this all about? Yeah.
Rene: Well, way back in 2006, our dog, Jerry, he was a German Shepherd mix, he lost a leg to bone cancer. And at the time, we did not know that three legged dogs could be happy. We didn't, we had never seen a three legged dog. So when vets told us that the best way to help him get rid of the pain from the cancer and hopefully live out a longer life. was to amputate his leg, we were shocked. And we went ahead and did it after being inspired by seeing a three legged Great Dane who lost his leg to the same cancer, and that was way back when YouTube was still a baby, and we saw this video of this Great Dane, and we're like, hey, if that dog could do it, our shepherd could do it. So, we decided to go ahead with amputation and wanted to chronicle how he did. Just for our own mental health, you know, just to write down the highs and the lows and things. So Jim started a little blog and he named it Tripawds, T R I P A W D S, because we found out that vets, veterinarians, call three legged dogs Tripawds and P O D S. So Jim took that word and empowered it because it sounded so like, oh, my dog's not a piece of furniture. What's, what's up with that name? So he started this blog and we started writing about how Jerry was doing. And then before long, uh, the blog grew because people started asking us questions. They started finding it and we found out that we weren't the only ones out there with a three legged
Jim: dog. But at the time, we were operating our own business and we worked from home and Jerry was our chief fun officer. So we, he would save us from the stresses of everyday life. And when he got cancer, Renee said, I got an idea. Let's sell the business. Let's sell the house. Let's buy an RV and travel the country. So we were going to give Jerry this road trip of a lifetime to pay him back for everything. And he ended up living two years. So we traveled around the country and here we are 16 years later, still traveling in an RV. I'm not currently in Alaska in our RV, but, um, we operate remotely. I love it.
Anke: I love it. So, so, so what's the, what's Tripod grown into over the years? Because it's not a blog, it's not just a blog now, right? Correct.
Jim: So it was a blog just talking about Jerry and my amazing three legged dog, and we started getting lots of emails from people with different types of dogs, different cancers, cats that we knew nothing about. So I started the discussion forums, and then I added a live chat. And then, once we were starting to burn through our savings, we decided to start selling helpful products for three legged dogs. And we had all sorts of information developing on the website, so we created e books. So at Tripos. com, we have loads of resources available for anyone facing amputation, recovery and care, the type of gear they might need, how to prepare, and most of all, a sense of community. Because everyone feels lost and alone like we did. And we want them to know you're not alone, but we only had one type of dog with a certain cancer. So now we host more than 2000 three legged dog and cat blogs on our network. So people can share their own stories, connect with others and get the help they need. And eventually it evolved into the Tripawds Foundation. So in 2014, we established a nonprofit and now we are helping. People pay for amputation surgery for families in need. We will reimburse anyone who takes a three legged animal to a certified rehab therapist, or to get some, uh, physio, as they say in Europe. Um, we have a toll free helpline people can call and free brochures that we will send to any vets. So that the people, when they're handed that bag of medicine and discharge papers and sent home with a dog with a massive scar. They do panic and they Google, but now they can find us and know they're not alone. That's
Anke: incredible. So, so who, is that funded by donations or, or how does
Rene: that work? It is funded by, the Tripawds Foundation is a donation based non profit and so donations that go there help to fund our programs for physio and, um, we pay for amputation, surgery for people who can't afford it. We chip in towards that. Um, And then as far as, uh, the gear and things like that, that's what helps support us and, uh, also helps to keep the website
Jim: running. But also in the Foundation, we have campaigns throughout the year for fundraising, but an annual event that's going on its fourth year now, or fifth year, is, um, our annual Painting Dogs Auction. And this is literally dogs Who paint, not paintings of dogs, but we've got all sorts of fun videos of dogs who are painting with brushes in their mouth and creating these beautiful
Rene: abstract artworks. I know, it sounds kind of crazy. I've seen
Anke: videos of that. I've seen videos. That's just hilarious.
Rene: Yeah, if you can train your dog to hold an object, you can train them to paint. It's, it's really a cool thing. And the people who started it, uh, the woman who started it. She was one of our members and her dog was a really well known trick dog. So her dog could do all sorts of things, um, you know, acrobatics and open refrigerator doors and she's a very well trained dog. She taught her how to paint and when that dog passed away from cancer, this member, Natasha, wanted to do something to honor her dog. So she started holding this auction for us every year. And it's, it's grown into a worldwide collaboration community of dogs who will do this each year and the proceeds go to the
Jim: foundation. So, uh, the dog's name was Kizerin. So we established the Kizerin Cancer Care Fund. The proceeds from this auction go to help The pets and the parents with helpful devices and nutritional aids and e books
Rene: and Just things that make life easier for when your dog has cancer.
Jim: They help both the person and the animal get through the recovery period. And how many dogs last time? Painting?
Rene: Yeah, oh, each year the auction is anywhere from 14 to 16 dogs.
Jim: And this year it'll happen in when?
Rene: Oh, we're going to have it at the end of May. It's coming up. And we, every year we choose another species to help us. So, um, we, we've had a, a capuchin monkey. We've had, um, a sloth. And this year we're going to have a painting pig. I know.
Anke: That is so cool. So when, when somebody comes, when somebody finds you and somebody comes, so there's obviously two parties there that have a bit of a problem, right? So there's the dog. Mm-Hmm.
Rene: Dog or cat, just for, you know, for cat out there. We do have cats too. So, so the,
Anke: the, the animal itself. Mm-Hmm. you know. Do you find, who suffers more? Who struggles more? Because sometimes I feel actually the dogs are so much more resilient. I mean, I've got like, you know, a friend of mine, she's got, she's got, uh, well, her little cocker, like she passed, she had some sort of knee and leg problems, so she would use like her little wheelchair. And she was just the happiest, like she just didn't have any, um, you know, there's no dislike, oh my god, and there's no overthinking, you know, so they just kind of, well, if they have physical pain, they have physical pain, but anything beyond that, they don't, that's more the people who kind of have all these kind of emotional struggles around that. Is that
Rene: your experience? Absolutely. It is always harder on the people than it is on the animal. You know, we have so much emotional baggage when it comes to something like this. And it's not just about the fact that our dog's gonna lose a leg, but it's about we're mourning the fact that we can't go on longer walks like we used to with that dog anymore, which technically you can. We recommend gear that can help you do that, like dog buggies and things like that. But People have a really hard time processing it. So we tell folks, we are your emotional support community. We are here because that is the hardest part to get through when you find out your dog is going to lose a leg. That's what we're about. We offer. input that they can take to their veterinarian and discuss, but really we're an emotional support community. And
Jim: like you said, the dogs are incredibly resilient. They adapt and overcome and recover. They'll wake up with one less leg and they adjust their stance, they adjust their gait, they get on with life. And as we say, the dogs are born with three legs and a spare. So they now have lost a spare leg and they can't afford to lose another. So we're there to help people understand that rehab is very important. Weight management is very important. Nutrition, because you want to keep those remaining limbs healthy and strong. And
Rene: that's also not to say that it's always easy for the dog. I mean, they do have highs and lows during recovery, just like a person would, but they. absorb our emotions and our energy when they're going through those highs and lows. So it's up to us to help them through it and not pass along what we're feeling to them. It's in their best interest for us to, you know, just stay as Encouraging and optimistic as we can, even when things get tough.
Jim: You know, real quick, one of the best things we ever, best advice we received from a rehab therapist, a canine rehab therapist, was a little tough love goes a long way. Because you do want to focus on the recovery, but the worst cases I've seen have been from people who are doting on the dog and feeding them by hand and sleeping on the floor and coddling them. And the dog needs to know that this is a new normal. And if all of a sudden you're acting different, you know, they turn to us for leadership. We need to be there to help them know that this is our new normal and life's going to go on. Yeah. That
Anke: makes sense. I mean, to be honest, like people are just like that, you know, I think, I think it's the same with, you know, if a person ends up in a wheelchair, it's exactly that same thing. Right. So, yeah, actually, you know, what pops to mind, I've seen things where people would use like 3D printers. to create, um, is that something that you've played with or explored to kind of say, well, you know, especially if you can, if you can catch it before the amputation, you know, to have like a 3D model of the leg to use as a
Rene: prosthesis or something? Well, um, you know, the technology has come so far in the last few years, and there's some really good options. for people if they want to explore the possibility of an artificial leg for their dog. Um, they can be really beneficial for the right dog and the right person. So, uh, a 3D printed, uh, prosthetic is great if it's done in conjunction with a physiotherapist and a veterinary surgeon because you really have to think of these things before the amputation and also be prepared for what to expect. It's not a one and done, um, a prosthetic. We'll always need a certain level of maintenance over the years and training for the dog. Uh, it's up to the owner to really get the dog used to it and see where they're headed as far as are they going to accept this thing, aren't they, you know, what can we do to encourage the dog to use it more. It's a little bit of a process that, that people should be aware of. And that's one reason why we have the, uh, Rehabilitation Therapy Fund for new tripod parents so that they can meet with a therapist. And say, hey, is my dog a good candidate for this? And you
Jim: said something very important there about considering a prosthetic before the amputation. Because one of the best orthopedic surgeons out there in the veterinary world told us that for a prosthetic device to work best, you really should have two articulating joints remaining. Um, one possibly, but preferably two. Otherwise, it's more of kind of like a pogo stick that the dog might hop along on and it's not going to adapt well to it. So just because it's available doesn't mean you should necessarily use it. It could actually throw off gate. So always consult with an expert before, um, turning on your 3d printer. Yeah. No,
Anke: I was just curious because I thought maybe, maybe it's technologically technically possible, but not really a good idea. Maybe it's like, well, actually, you know, they get on better on three of their own legs. rather than that full thing that's like, you know, like a spanner in the wheels. You know, I don't know, like, it's just kind of, I think it's, you have to decide it on a, on a case by case basis.
Rene: Absolutely. And
Jim: the same thing goes for wheelchairs and carts. Oftentimes people think, oh, my dog's locked a leg. He needs a wheelchair without consulting to an expert who might. prescribe some exercises instead, but if you do a wheelchair out of PVC because your husband's handy and it's not perfectly fit to the dog, it could actually do more harm than good.
Anke: Yeah, so what are some, what are sort of typical questions and issues that people come, come to us, look for support with?
Rene: You know, the number one question people ask is how is my dog going to go to the bathroom? Because they think of a dog using all four legs either to lift one leg or to get down and Believe me, they figure it out, but people, people don't believe it until they actually see it. And normally a dog will not, um, will not poop for at least a couple of days after surgery. So the whole time the person is like super nervous. I don't think my dog's gonna know how to do it. And when they do it, they're so happy. They do a little dance and yeah, I mean, dogs totally figured out. That's a really common
Jim: case. So it can be because of the pain meds, uh, and this, you know, different gait. But as our vet told us, he said, when they gotta go, they'll go.
Rene: Yeah. And the other question is, is my dog in pain? So that is the biggest challenge during recovery is to manage the dog's pain levels. And a lot of people aren't sure if their dog is getting too much medication or too little. So it's one thing we really help a lot with is let's look at all of the behaviors of your dog and figure out how we can help you have a conversation with your vet about adjusting their pain medications.
Jim: Another question that we often get is, will my dog ever swim again? And the answer is yes, and no, they won't swim in circles, but a life vest or a float coat can certainly help. And or they say, my dog's a hunter or a hiker, when are we going to go on 10 mile hikes again? And well, it comes back to that new normal. Um, they may or may not go that 10 miles, but it's definitely going to take time and it's going to depend on the dog's condition. And most importantly, you want to focus on recovery and core strength to compensate for the missing limb.
Anke: Do you find, um, because I don't know, like, you know, I've been interviewing people for the summit. So I've talked to a lot of like holistic vets and all kinds of people. So my mind is going so well to kind of off to sort of compensate for these sort of off balance. Would they benefit from, you know, body work and massages and things like that going on to sort of just. Kind of help them, you know, not getting tense because you know, it's like, I mean, I don't know, like, you know, when your knee hurts, all of a sudden you start walking funny and then you have lower back pain and it'd be the same for them, wouldn't it?
Rene: Absolutely. Three legged dogs have such a different gait after they lose a leg. Their, their body is moving in ways it was not designed to move. So anytime you can help a dog with Physiotherapy and hands on work like massage, it's a real benefit to them. Some dogs are very accepting of it, as you know, and some dogs aren't, but the more you can get your hands on the dog and get somebody to show you how to do that, the better and healthier they're going to be over time. Does it impact
Anke: like lifespan or can they be, you know, I mean, obviously if it's cancer, then the cancer might be somewhere else, right? But if it's like a physical thing, like, you know, that the dog you mentioned earlier where, okay, it's just literally a mechanical, like they fell and it's broken, but other than that, the dog's just fine. Does that impact up the health in other ways?
Jim: It can if we don't moderate their activity. So if we just go let them be a dog and all of a sudden they end up blowing out a cruciate limb, a cruciate on the other limb, or what I'm getting at is it comes to the other comorbidities. Of course cancer is going to, you know, limit the lifespan. But if you lose a leg, it doesn't necessarily limit the lifespan unless the dog is overweight. And all of a sudden has, you know, arthritis seriously develops
Rene: and such. The veterinarians tell us that three legged dogs are more prone to osteoarthritis and all of the conditions that follow that. So if a dog is overweight, it's going to impact their life over time, which may, you know, these conditions may shorten their lifespan. But If you have a dog, whether you adopt a three legged puppy or your dog loses a leg very young like our second dog did, he lost a leg to neglect at about eight months old. He was a German Shepherd and we had him until he was 12 and he, uh, eventually got just so tired from being on one back leg and he had, um, IVDD, Invertebral Disc Disease. And severe. And severe osteoarthritis. from the compromised gate over his lifetime. So he lived out his normal lifespan that a shepherd would. But there were challenges that he had during that life that were probably exaggerated because he was on three legs. So that's just things that, that pet parents need to be mindful of as they go through life with their dog.
Jim: And we attribute Wyatt's lifespan, the longevity, to the regular rehab and conditioning that we did. We were exercising with him All the time. So that gets back to what I was trying to point out is that if you aren't on top of it and stay on top of these things and just go let them be a dog and sprint around, it could possibly have affected Wyatt much earlier.
Anke: So what kind of exercises are we talking about? So what would be typical?
Rene: It's really interesting how much their needs closely follow our needs as humans. It's all about core strength and, you know, strengthening those abdominals and back muscles so that your body can move as it should. Um, a lot of people think they need to strengthen their dog's legs. But that's not the case. It's just like with people. If you have a good core, you're going to sit up better. You're going to walk better, not feel lower back discomfort. So a lot of exercises like standing on a balance disc, um, or BOSU ball, people have seen those in human exercise classes. Um, same kind of equipment for dogs. Um, Even something as simple as having your dog walk on a sofa cushion that you put on the floor, because that surface is uneven, it's strengthening their core muscles, and it's also teaching them proprioception, which is awareness of the body in space. So they're, they're learning how to place their paws on the ground and not fall over, basically. Um, little things, there's, Once you go to a physiotherapist for your dog, you learn these little exercises that you can do at home. You don't need to buy a bunch of equipment. There are things you can do on your walks, like Helping your dog walk on and off curbs as you go down the street, um, step over little objects, just things that keep them balanced and, and always moving in a different way to challenge their body and their mind at the same
Jim: time. Weight shifting, weight bearing, but every dog is different. You know, the exercises might be different if you're missing a front leg versus a rear leg and the type of dog. That's why we always recommend rehab, rehab, rehab, and why we'll pay for the first visit. I
Anke: love that. I love that. I mean, it feels like it's very similar to, you know, to what we'd go through if as a person you lose, right? Absolutely. You know, there's the physical part to look after and there's the emotional part where, you know, obviously here we look more on the other end of the leash, but at the end of the day, it's not that different,
Rene: right? It's not. The only real difference is that dogs just do so much better emotionally than people do in a situation like this.
Anke: Yeah, and that's, that, yeah, totally, I can totally get that. So, so what's the easiest way to find you, to get in touch, to ask questions, to donate, to You know, submit a dog painting. Of
Rene: course. Yeah, thank you. Well, Tripawds. com, so t r i p a w d s. com is our main community. Um, if you go to our discussion forums, uh, you will find lots and lots of conversations from people who have adopted a three legged dog or their dog lost a leg to cancer. That is the heart of our
Jim: community. The resources. That's where the podcasts, the resources, the interviews, the blogs, the e books, that sort of thing. Tripawds. org is where people can find information about the rehab program, the reimbursement for amputation, and the helpline and things like that, and where you can find links about the And the one thing we didn't mention is, um, we kind of tell this whole story and how Tripawds evolved in our book called Be More Dog, Learning to Live in the Now. And that's available at BeMoreDog. net. Love it.
Anke: Love it. We all got to be more dog. Yes.
Jim: We do. Absolutely. Or at Tripawds everywhere on Facebook and then at Tripawds Community on Instagram. So it's not too hard to find us.
Anke: Awesome. Well, thank you so much for coming and sharing this incredible story and this resource you've created to help other people, you know, balance the tripod.
Rene: Aw, thank you. It's great being here. Our pleasure.
Jim: Thank you. Thanks so much for listening. If you enjoyed the episode, don't forget to subscribe, and leave a review so other dog lovers can find the show. If you haven't already, head over to soul touched by dogs. com and sign up for weekly doggy cuteness tips, recommendations, and personal stories to warm your dog loving heart. And if you know a pawsome human you think I should interview, I'd love an introduction. Email me at Anke. That's A N k E at Soul touched by dogs.com.