Welcome to the Fiscal Firehouse, a podcast dedicated to promoting financial literacy to firefighters. I'm your co-host, John Beatty, executive board member of Local 1309, a lieutenant, and also a certified financial planner. With me, I have the other co-host of the fiscal firehouse, Louis Barella, executive Board member of Local 1309 ambulance driver, and want to be financial expert. Together, John and I hope to bring clarity to the world of personal finance, specifically relating to firefighters. Firefighting is a difficult job making sound. Financial decisions shouldn't be. In today's episode of the fiscal firehouse, John and Louis Tackle the most talked about recent federal legislation, OBA Standing for one Big, beautiful Bill Act. John and Louis will discuss both the financial and non-financial implications of this recent federal legislation and how it will impact you as a professional firefighter. John and Louis specifically addressed concerns around tax rates, tax deductions, including the infamous no tax on tips and other financial matters. Without further ado, let's kick it over to local 1309 studios and the recording of the fiscal Firehouse
Jon: welcome back to another episode of The Physical Firehouse. I'm with your co-host John Beatty, with me I've got my partner in crime here sitting across the table in Local 1309 studios, old LB Louis Barella. How's it going? Lb.
Louie: Good buddy. How are you
Jon: man? We are ready to rock. It is, the start of the NFL season. So we're recording this. Do, do, do, yeah. How does it go? What's the, rest of the jingle? There you go. You got it? Yep. So today is, what is it, Thursday, September. fourth, whenever. but it's the kickoff. It's the NFL kickoff. So we're all excited. Cowboys, eagles. What are you thinking? Who's, who you going on? You a dirty bird or are you like
Louie: Eagles. Man, I, I can't stand the
Jon: You can't.
Louie: I don't want them to.
Jon: Hey man,
Louie: I, let's, let's go Eagles. Anyone who, who goes against the Cowboys I'm pretty much cheering for
Jon: Exactly, yeah. Well, they gave me the gift. Christmas came early at the Beatty household and they traded us, Michael Parsons.
Louie: Oh, yeah.
Jon: So for the
Louie: There you go.
Jon: Jones is my new favorite owner. I really think he's going in the running to try to be the worst NFL owner. He's right neck and neck with a Browns
Louie: he's only getting worse. So if he's not the worst right now, give it another couple years and he definitely will be,
Jon: he will definitely be worse. He's, he's doing his, his best, to try to take that title. So, you know, I got a funny story. So my kids, my, my oldest Ellis is eight and, he started his own NFL, fantasy
Louie: football. Fantasy football. Okay,
Jon: So he is got like eight little cronies in the neighborhood and they all kind of set up their, their teams and, everyone else, all their seven did auto draft. So just whatever the computer kicked out. Ellis decided that he wanted to, to draft his own players. I'm like, this is political. I'm like, this is cool. So Ellis and my wife Katie, they sat down and they picked and, let's just say he's got a few lessons to learn. So, I don't know, do you ever, do you, are you in a fantasy league? Do you, do you do any of that
Louie: we were, we had a, a family fantasy football league for a long time. Okay. Yep. and bunch of our, bunch of the guys in our family were, was in it including, Colin Stookey. Okay. Yeah. who is a great fantasy footballer, like he's super into it. But we got toxic. Like our family started getting toxic, like there was some. There was some questionable interactions that we started having with each other, and we had to step back. We were like, for the sake of the love that we have for one another, we need to stop this league and take some, take a break. So we've been on a break for a couple years.
Jon: Okay. You a little hiatus
Louie: now. Yeah. We're very competitive in the family. We all wanna win the punishments for the losers. We're getting. Pretty little excessive. Yeah. I mean, they were pretty bad. So we took a break. We might start it back up. We call it the Sons of Genevieve. Genevieve was my grandmother. Okay. The Sons of Genevieve Fantasy Football League. I don't know. I might make an appearance in the next year or two, but not this year. Not this year, no.
Jon: Yeah. So I mean, so you've got strategy, so you've played, and honestly, I've never been in any league. I actually, after kind of. You know, going through this with Ellis, it's really kind of intrigued me. I'm like, oh, maybe I should do that next year. Like it's, I, I see why so many people are obsessed, oh my God, with this thing because it's, it is very, I mean, and there's the highs and the lows, but, I don't know. From a strategy standpoint, what do you think his number one pick was? Or who is his number one pick? If you, thinking about this from a league owner, and you've obviously played in fantasy leagues, like, I mean, wide receivers I heard are valuable running backs, quarterbacks are valuable,
Louie: quarterbacks are not. I guess it depends on if you're in a point per reception. Okay. Or a half point
Jon: But typically, wide receivers, running backs, those are
Louie: Those are the, those are who you go with. Like, I think a lot of, expert. Fantasy footballers. They don't draft quarterbacks until very, very late.
Jon: The very
Louie: I'm talking like sixth round or something like that. Okay. People just stock up on wide receivers and running backs, and that is generally considered the best advice, I think.
Jon: Okay. so, his number one draft, what do, what do you think?
Louie: Oh, is it a running backer, a wide receiver?
Jon: it was the Broncos defense. Oh no. He picked as his number one draft pick.
Louie: I mean, they might be the best defense. This, they, that's a good pick from a defensive perspective, but definitely not.
Jon: Definitely not.
Louie: He's got, he's got a learning curve.
Jon: He's got a little learning curve and it was a teachable moment and he is like, oh, okay, I start to understand this. So the other kids that did the autodraft, they were not as lucky to have this from a teachable moment. So, Ellis, I know he listens to this occasionally in the car, so yeah. Son, when you're thinking about, who you wanna draft. Wide receiver or running back should be your first couple draft picks. Nice. don't save your second pick for the kicker. Oh, geez.
Louie: He went like in reverse order of important. Those are the, what you should say for the very end. He
Jon: did. He did. So at the very end it's, it's kind of q it, it tells 'em like what their grade score is like based on what the algorithm says. did you get an A? Did you get a b? He got an F minus,
Louie: He's probably gonna win the whole thing.
Jon: thing. You know what, it's probably one of those things. It's like picking stocks. Yeah. Like honestly, like they do those, they do this all the time where they just have some random algorithm generator just kick out a name and then they put that against a stock picking professional and nine times outta 10 who wins. The random
Louie: random generator? Yeah.
Jon: like, I'll just see what sticks on the wall. So we're always gonna tie this back to, to something fiscal in the firehouse. But, and we know we've got a lot of DGN listeners, so, ease off on some of those fantasy drafts. Don't, don't be parlaying on anything. You know, we will put up the gamblers anonymous. phone number or website on this. But, all in good fun though. But I definitely see what the excitement is. And man, I'm excited. I'm excited for the NFL. It's just something in the air. Yeah. This time of
Louie: in general.
Jon: Oh, love it.
Louie: Let's go.
Jon: it. All right. as we promised, we are gonna talk about the BB. B. Big.
Louie: Beautiful. It's the biggest, the beautiful list.
Jon: It is, it's the big beautiful bill, or I guess it's one big beautiful bill Act is technically what it's called. But yeah, this is the legislation that, a lot of people are talking about. I know for those of you, if you do have a financial professional or advisor, they've probably sent you a, a newsletter or maybe a webinar or something, highlighting some of these changes. But, Louis and I thought it was important that we talk about this. both fielded quite a bit of questions regarding this. and there's a lot of things that will affect us, not only as just regular taxpayers, and people with incomes, but specifically within our own industry, firefighting, talking about overtime and some of the other things. So we're gonna do some quick highlights on some of these things. Once again, we wanna make this tailored, to professional firefighters, so stay tuned for all the updates.
Louie: and I think, John, and I feel like we're the kings of disclaimers, so it probably goes without saying, but we're not tax professionals, so we don't know the implications to every tax situation or every firefighter. And the truth is like, this is a massive bill. We can't even discuss all of the different changes and all the things that it touches. We're just kind of hitting the highlights. Like John said, that applies to firefighters. but it might not be. Specific to your situation, and that's okay too. This is just more general knowledge and things that we found interesting. I think another important thing to remember is that some of this stuff is still kind of up in the air. Like the way Congress loves to operate is they pass a bill and then they leave it for other people to figure out like how it's implemented and what it's gonna look like, and is it feasible. it's a really weird way that, We do things, at a, at the federal level, but that's just kinda how it works. So we think we kind of have an understanding on how some of these things are gonna work, but it, it, who's to say it doesn't change or some court doesn't overrule a certain aspect of it or something. So just keep that in mind as we talk about these different aspects that it's going to impact.
Jon: Yeah, no, that's, that's definitely well said, Louie. And this is something that, I looked it up and, you know, a lot of sources say that this is o this is over 1100 pages of legislation, so there's a lot of one-offs and outliers, and we're not gonna talk about all those things. Most, specifically though, we want to talk about what's gonna affect people around the firehouse table and, and your families. And honestly, overall, from a financial standpoint, this is, and, and. You know, most people's best interest from a tax perspective, it is gonna keep tax rates low and there's some additional credits and some benefits that we'll talk about. But, before we talk about the financial aspects, that's really what's been highlighted in this bill, but there's a lot of other things that the federal government did, in order to help offset the cost of what this is gonna be over the next decade or so. and the one that is the most important, I think. From, once again, from the firefighter's perspective and something that will affect most firefighters, is this Medicaid restructuring and funding. And most of you are probably like, well, who cares about Medicaid? Honestly? They're like, I've got insurance. I've gotten good insurance. I'm not on Medicaid. My family's not on Medicaid. I got good insurance through the department. Why does this matter to me? Well, it matters to you for kind of a, a two-pronged approach. the first is most people probably listening to this, do some type of fire based EMS. So you have ambulances and you transport, and because of those transports you get reimbursed by either Medicaid or Medicare or private payer or whatever that insurance looks
Louie: like. And let's be real, most of the people you transport are on medic, are on Medicaid. They're not paying with their private Cadillac health insurance. Those are not the people calling 9 1 1 for transport.
Jon: And I actually wish I had the stats to, to talk about that, but it is primarily funded through Medicaid or Medicare
Louie: mm-hmm.
Jon: what the majority of our, our, what our patients that we take to the hospital have. So why this is a big deal in order to help fund some of these tax cuts is, basically the federal government is restructuring Medicaid and they're slashing it. I mean, that's probably the easiest
Louie: way. They're slashing.
Jon: They're slashing it. what I've got is there's somewhere between 600 to 800 billion over the next decade is gonna be removed from the Medicaid funding status, which is a crap ton of money. Alright? And why that matters is. currently when you're getting reimbursed is we get a certain percentage and then most states have been back filling that percentage to basically make the department whole, speaking for us, west Metro, that's almost to the tune of $6 million shortfall this year that we're gonna receive from Medicaid that we had planned on receiving before this legislation took a took effect. So that's a huge, that's a huge impact.
Louie: direct, it's directly impacting us because now we have, like you said, $6 million less in our budget for next year.
Jon: For next year. And we don't know what that will look like for the following year and everything else. So you can probably extrapolate that over the next, several years. And that's a significant hole that we're gonna have to try to plug with additional revenues or other funding streams. So that's part one. Part two is, because of this restructuring, there's gonna be a lot of people that are not gonna be covered. All right, for insurance. Now, they're not gonna qualify for Medicaid or they're not gonna be able to afford Medicaid. a lot of this has to goes with the providers and how they're getting reimbursed. The long story short is, the insurance companies are already trying to price, for next year what this is going to, what, what this is going to affect as far as premiums. We just, got our bill basically for what next year's gonna be, and they're anticipating about 11% increase from last year. if you look at the, if you look at the, the private market or the affordable care market, they're talking anywhere between like 15 to 35%. Premium increases in health insurance. So this affects everyone. This is gonna affect everyone. So if you, working for an FD or a municipal, government or a fire production district, any of that stuff, like I can guarantee you next year that the insurance premiums are going to go up. It's just a matter of how much and that hits everyone's bottom line. that hits the department's bottom line. That hits you as a, as a firefighter's bottom line. So that's a big one. And I just wanted to put that out there so there's not like the silver bullet. This is not just all puppies and rainbows. There's gonna be some things that we're gonna have to work through in, in order to, in order to cover some of these costs, for, having some of these long-term, tax reductions, right? So on top of that, there's a whole host of other things, but that is really the one I think is most pertinent, for our listeners to just consider and just. Kind of, have in the back of your mind, if you're looking at budgets for next year or if you're negotiating or whatever that looks like, moving forward, that's definitely something that's gonna, that's gonna affect your negotiations. Alright, so let's talk about now, really. The big benefit though, like I said, that you're gonna receive as a firefighter or if your spouse works or anyone else's, is basically when they made this one big, beautiful bill is they had made the 2017 tax cuts, the Trump tax cuts originally, they've made those permanent because they were getting ready to sunset. At the end of this year. Alright, so that was, causing a whole lot of volatility in the stock market. a lot of financial planners and advisors were trying to figure out how to, forecast this or do some risk management in order to, if they, they reset back to what was before. But now we know moving forward that these tax cuts are permanent. So those tax brackets, those percentages are gonna be permanent as of as of, July 4th is when they signed this in. But most of this stuff retros back to January 1st of this year. Yeah.
Louie: And so John, it kind of, it seems like almost a long time. It was such a long time ago because this was Trump's first term in office. He had this tax cut and part of that was to. Lower tax rates, right. Dur in, in each of the tax brackets, or at least most of 'em. I shouldn't say all of them, but in most of them. and then he also raised a significant amount in the standard deduction. So much so that, I mean, even many people who were itemizing now didn't make sense to, and instead they were, it was more beneficial for them to take the standard deduction. So those. Those tax cuts, those rates are permanent now, and the increased higher standard deduction is also permanent.
Jon: Yeah, exactly. So that's, most people now, I can't, I was meaning to look up at the IRS, at least for last year, but I think it's upwards of like 90% of tax filers now pretty much all claim the standard deduction and they no longer have to itemize. So if you're doing your taxes, you're thinking about doing your taxes for next year. most of you are probably on board with that and I'm, and I'm willing to go out on a limb and say the majority of our members do the standard deduction. So for this year, they've act, and this will be inflation adjusted. Alright? But for this year, if you're single, it's gonna be 15,750. It's gonna be the standard deduction. And if you're married, so if you file jointly, it's gonna be $31,500, which is a lot of
Louie: a lot of money for a standard deduction.
Jon: That's a lot of money. the other thing, that this bill did is, and this is once again, this is for a finite amount of time. it's gonna be effective starting this year, and I think it goes through 2028, if I'm not mistaken. Is there going to have an increase in. Basically what they're calling a senior deduction. All right, so once again, I know we do have some listeners that are retired and they are, over the age of 65. so you guys are gonna get a little bonus.
Louie: The, the boomers have struggled so bad. I'm glad that they get something
Jon: They're, they got, they got their,
Louie: The wealthiest generation in history gets a little tax break. Extra tax break. Really happy for you
Jon: Yeah, I could see that on your face. Yeah. So if you, if you're 65 and over, once again, Christmas is coming early. Let it rip. live it up a little
Louie: man. The rich get richer.
Jon: You guys are all going to get, a long, as long as you qualify. for, the phase outs for this, you're gonna get an extra $6,000 deductions. so what that is, if you're single, if you make, less than $75,000, you'll qualify, without getting phased out. And if you're married, if you claim $150,000. Or less of income, you're gonna qualify for this. So potentially, you think about this 31,500 standard deduction. Plus, if you and your spouse, so you're filing, married, you're filing jointly, you're both gonna get an additional $6,000. So $12,000 on top of the 31,500, that is a crap ton of a standard deduction. What do you, what do you have to say about that, Louis?
Louie: Good for you guys. I mean, good for you. That's if you, if you have the deduction, obviously take it, use it. it's a big benefit. I mean, that, that is, that's a huge benefit. But even if you're not a senior, and even if you're not that much and you're married, let's say you're a young married couple and you have a $31,500 base standard deduction, I mean, that's a, that's huge. Like, that's, that's great. And with the lower tax rates, John, I think. Maybe now is the appropriate time to talk about our, one of our favorite retirement accounts, or one of our favorite ways to contribute to retirement accounts. And that's through the Roth option, right? So the Roth option, just a little quick, reminder for you guys, the, the Roth contribution, whether it's to a 4 57 or to an IRA, means that you pay post-tax, you pay taxes on the money. Now you put it into a Roth account, and then that money. Grows and is spent tax free because you've already paid taxes on it. John and I have both mentioned in previous episodes that that's like our favorite account and we think most people should contribute to, their retirement accounts on a Roth basis. So I would say that if you look at, there's just, if you look at the history of tax rates in the United States, or at least in the last a hundred years, we are at historic lows for tax rates. They don't get lower than this. These are like. Bargain basement prices here. So if you can lock in that, those low tax rates of what you're paying, that is wonderful. That is amazing, right. John, I know you kind of had this maybe planned to talk about a little bit later, but there's massive deficits that this bill as every other bill runs, so I think it's a reasonable expectation to. Assume that tax rates eventually are going to increase, right?
Jon: Yeah, I mean they're saying, conservatively, they're saying about 3.4 trillion is what this is gonna add to the deficit over the next, 10 years. yeah. On top of already trillions and trillions and trillions. So at some point, with every great empire, they're eventually you gotta pay the piper and someone's gonna have to pay the piper and it's gonna be us and our, our kids that will end up. Paying for all these cuts. Yeah. But yeah, I mean, I think, and you talk to most, tax professionals, most advisors, most planners, you know, looking, we don't have a crystal ball, but you look 5, 10, 15, 20 years into the future. And we just have to figure at some point we can't grow our way out of this, that we are eventually gonna have to pay for this. and I think that at some point is just gonna revert back to previous tax brackets and rates where, it's gonna be very common if you're in the. Or upper echelon, it's gonna be upwards of 40% or maybe more. And just even for middle income earners, it's gonna be higher than the 22 or 24 4% that you're doing right now. So you never say always, and you never say never. most people, I would say, if you're in that 24 under bracket, boy, you'd really have to convince me why a Roth account would not be in your best interest. Honestly. it
Louie: is. I mean, I, I'm just gonna say it has to be, it has to be. 'cause these, it's not gonna go lower. Tax rates are not gonna go lower. They're only gonna go higher.
Jon: That's, that is what the consensus is. If you listen to a lot of people that do this for a living, and they've been in the industry for a long time, and they can just do basic math and arithmetic. You extrapolate this out over time and it's just gonna get worse before it gets better.
Louie: I don't, I don't know if you've noticed this, but I, you know, well, you and I have talked about all the podcasts that I listen to. I listen to so many nerdy financial Oh yeah. Podcasts. Love it. But I can see, a very distinct change in a lot of these financial. Podcast hosts and experts, versus what they talked about 10 years ago. So 10 years ago, 15 years ago, when I was really listening to a lot of these people in the fire movement, financial independence, retire early. There was this huge belief that you should make all your contributions on a pre-tax basis. because they thought when you retire, you'll be making less money. There's strategies for doing conversions and stuff like that to, kind of. minimize the amount of taxes you pay, so defer those taxes as long as possible. That was like the conventional wisdom mm-hmm. From all these people is like, keep deferring, do pre-tax, don't, don't do Roth. and now I've seen it all change. Almost, almost all the podcasts that I listened to, all the financial quote unquote experts that I listened to have now been like, Hey, it has nowhere to go but up. You should probably do Roth accounts. And they've all come over to that. Basically now they all advocate. Contributing to Roth accounts. Yeah,
Jon: yeah. No, that's definitely, I think that's very common. consensus once again, and once again, it depends on where you're at. But what they are finding as well is they're finding a lot of people that, since these plans, since the 401k was developed, you know a lot of these baby boomers that you. Love so much. they're sitting on, two to four to $10 million in deferred accounts. And now the time has come where they can't defer it anymore and they have to start taking money out. Which is,
Louie: minimum distributions.
Jon: MDs required minimum distributions. And they're just having huge, what they're calling ticking time bombs. 'cause they gotta take out all this money now and they're getting. Taxed on this, and they're, it's putting 'em into the 32 and 37% tax bracket. So there's a lot of different strategies with this, but once again, for the younger folks and even those that are not that young, think about where you are in your tax bracket. And I would really be willing to say that the majority of our members would be better suited for Roth accounts versus pre-tax accounts. Now every situation is different, so this is not tax advice and this is not financial advice, just generally speaking. Just consider that and, and. The long term, and it's kind of know that this is what you pay right now, but now you let it grow tax free and then you can take it out, without any taxes, which is great. It's good, it's good to have diversification. So have a little
Louie: bit of everything. Yep. There you go.
Jon: There you go. So that's standard deduction. the other thing is, and this might apply to actually quite a few of our members too, is the salt deduction. All right, so this is part of the, the TCA 2017, taxes that originally happened as they capped it. At $10,000, right? So that is the amount that you could deduct for, state taxes, for property taxes, all the things that you pay to your state and local government basically.
Louie: that's the state and local tax
Jon: That's what SALT stands for. so that was capped at $10,000. Well, with the new legislation, and once again, this is not permanent, this will also get phased out, but that has been increased to $40,000. So once again, if you're paying a lot of state tax or you, live in a, a place at the. The property taxes have gone up exorbitantly, which a lot of places around here is. this might be something that, you know, might make sense to start to itemize again versus, do the standard deduction. But once again, this is a very personal decision. it's really gonna depend on what your. What your tax liability and stuff like that looks like for, for next year. But you know, for some of our folks, you always mention your friends that have, PAs and physicians, shout out to you guys. you might be better suited potentially, to do the itemized deductions. And because of this increase in, the salt cap basically being increased from 10 K to 40 k now. All right, so this is the one, that we definitely wanted to highlight. All right. And almost everyone at some point. I don't think I've gone a day or two with someone asking me b about this. No tax on tips, no tax on overtime stuff. So, this is good. This will benefit our members, for sure. But we definitely, there's some caveats with this, and it's not it, I mean, it's good, but it's not as great as I think most of our members think it's gonna be. Yeah, we've
Louie: And we've waited, I, I don't know, I you probably in a similar boat, but when the bill was first proposed and even when it was first passed, I got got questions and I just kind of told people, hold on, like let us look into it. Let kind of think, let the dust settle and some analysis to come out before we talk about it. just 'cause there was a lot of confusion and like, it's even misnamed really in the bill itself. Yes. So I think we'll address. that now, knowing that it could still change and it could still be different than what we think, but it seems like it's now congealed enough to the point where we're comfortable talking with it. Yeah, so we'll do the overtime deduction first. There's a provision in the bill called no tax on overtime or the no tax on overtime deduction, and that's really misnamed because you still will pay some tax on overtime. However, the way it works is the premium portion of overtime pay is now. Tax deductible. So what that really means is the half in time and a half is what's deductible. So that deduction, is limited to $12,500 per year for a single filer and a $25,000 deduction for a joint filer. And that there's phase outs for that. Like if you're modified, adjusted, gross is over. $300,000 for a married couple, you'll start experience a phase out where, it's even less than that. But lemme give you an example, John, because I feel like this is the best way to, to make sense of all that. Just word Yeah. Alphabet soup that I just threw out there. So let's say your regular rate, your regular hourly pay rate is $40 an hour and you work in overtime, you get paid a time and a half, which means you would get paid $60 an hour. While that extra $20 an hour is your premium. That's the premium portion of your overtime and that is what is deductible. So John, we have an example here that we think kind of drives it home for firefighters. If you're a first grade firefighter with 10 years, your shift hourly wage is 41 64. Your overtime rate when you work at your time and a. Is 62 46. So the premium pay of that would be $20 and 82 cents. And that's the amount that's tax tax deductible. So in order to max out the max of 12,500, this firefighter would have to work 600 hours or 25 shifts,
Jon: 25, 24 hour shifts in order just to meet that threshold for the 12,500. So if you're just single, so if you were one of these people that were really trying to break records, right, and work as much godly over time as you could, so you wanted to max out and you're married, so you could go the full $25,000 deduction, you're talking 1200 hours of OT or 50. 24 hour shifts. And the thing is, and I hope you guys appreciate this, it's a deduction so you don't get this offset until you file your taxes. It will reduce your tax liability the following year. So you're still gonna be taxed on that originally with your pay stub. So it's not like you're gonna just get this free money right out of the chute. You're gonna have to defer that until you actually file your taxes the following year. Right. by April 15th or whatever it is for next year, whatever that Monday that it falls on, that's what you're gonna have to do. So it's not this instant thing that you're gonna see right away for one. And then when you start actually putting into like, man, how much is this really gonna take? I think about people that do like the wildland deployments or FEMA deployments where they're getting, big chunks, six, $8,000 paydays or overtime for that. Like, I, I think this is really where it's gonna be well suited for those of you that work an occasional 24 here and there. Now you're obviously gonna see a little bit of savings, but it's, you can't go buy that new truck. You can't buy that new house on this deduction. It, it definitely will help and don't look a gift worth in the mouth kind of thing, but it's not gonna be something that's gonna reset the needle on a lot of this stuff.
Louie: Yeah. I think a lot of people were like, oh man, no tax on overtime, so I'm gonna work a bunch of shifts and I'm gonna get paid.
Jon: They thought they were gonna work their $1,500, overtime shift and clear $1,500 and that is just not the way that this is gonna
Louie: work not even close.
Jon: So, so as far as how this is gonna work, at least for this year, I believe that the IRS, it's basically going to be on the taxpayer to prove that you had this overtime, because it's not really gonna be segmented out in our, in our, Payroll software and a DP is not gonna segregate all the stuff out. I think in the following year it will, but basically you're just going to have to claim that this is what the overtime was. and then, if you do get audited, you're just gonna have to prove how you got to these.
Louie: how you calculated the premium. I
Jon: the premium and all this other stuff. I think moving forward next year and so forth, this will be a little bit clearer. But as far as the payroll software right now, they will not do that. at least from, the higher ups that I've talked to, said that that will not be for 2025. It will start in 2026, but this is effective. Starting January 1st, 2025. So if you've worked any overtime this year, there will be a certain portion of that premium pay, that will be deductible when you file your
Louie: And there's a few firefighters who are gonna get close to that 600 hours. Man, I feel like we always have a few firefighters that are close to that. I know Dan Schultz, man from my academy, works a ton of overtime and he's always pushing, he's almost, almost always leading the list or close to it. So he might get that full deduction.
Jon: There might be some full deductions. All right. so now this is probably the second crowd favorite. and they're going to, we just had our dead episode last go around Louis. So we're gonna parlay this right on top of that one. And, now we've got, thanks to the, one big beautiful bill act, no tax on car loan interests. All right,
Louie: But no one has car loans anymore. 'cause they listen to the fiscal firehouse. They want to be financially responsible
Jon: They're getting a good deal, man. Someone's got a sweet deal. You
Louie: about the good deals.
Jon: I mean, it's basically costing you money by not getting a new truck. Of course. All right, so what are, what are some of the caveats with this one lb? Is it as good as it sounds, or?
Louie: Yeah. Well, once again, as most things from the federal government, it's not as good as it sounds. Okay. But there is still a, a, a deduction. Once again, it's called no Tax on Car Loan Interest. That's the name of the provision in the bill. And there's some very specific things that you have to do to qualify or that, that have to be the. The situation in order for you to qualify. So interest paid to recruit on a loan to purchase a qualified passenger vehicle for personal use after 2024 is basically saying it has to be a new car. This has to be a new car. It can't be on a used car. and the vehicle. it has to be assembled in the United States. So I think there's a way to figure that out. It's like if your VIN number starts with a one, a four or a five, I believe. Okay, it's either 1, 4, 5, or 1 5 6. if you're, if it starts with any of those three numbers, then that's how you know it's been assembled in the us. So it has to meet that to
Jon: qualify. And the car dealers are gonna advertise the crap out of this. Oh, they're gonna advertise like, Hey man, you basically, you get up to this much. So, and they will, they will take this, from a marketing strategy standpoint, and they will highlight this to the nth degree. I can guarantee you that.
Louie: Mm-hmm. Yeah, exactly. And, and the, so if your car meets those qualifications, you can deduct up to $10,000 per year. and that's an above the line deduction is what it's called. and then there's phase outs that are still relevant, similar phase outs, 150,000 for a single person, $300,000 for, which
Jon: a very common theme that you'll see, or a common thread that you'll see that that one 50 k for single and 300 k for married apply to a lot of these, deductions. Yeah, to
Louie: That makes things easy. And the good news on it is that you can claim this deduction whether or not you itemize. So you can take the, the, the, standard deduction that we talked about earlier, and you can still also claim this deduction in your. Interest paid in this car loan.
Jon: Yeah. So if you ever hear that, if you ever see it written or you hear people talk about above the line versus below the line, deductions above the line is always the best. if you're looking for a deduction or credit or anything else like that, you're always, the best ones will always be above the line because you're right. Then it doesn't matter whether you itemize or you do the standard deduction, little tax tip on that one and how to keep those things straight. So I don't know. I guess if you were already in the market and you already bought one, I guess kudos to you. I still don't think this changes my thought process, and what we talked about before, car loans
Louie: doesn't change the math for me.
Jon: or anything else like this. I, I wonder if this is just another one of those incentives that might actually be more harmful to our members than beneficial, because they're gonna take this and they're gonna fit, they're gonna look at this as like a free loan or a 0% loan. but they're, the cost of ownership is still gonna be the same. your taxes are still gonna be the same. Your insurance is still gonna be the same for a new vehicle. Registration is still gonna be the same. Like,
Louie: yeah, and, and to be clear, it's not the, the government is not paying the, we talked about the price of debt is the interest that you pay it and the opportunity cost. Yeah. It doesn't change that math. You're still paying interest to the bank for that loan, and you're still. You still have the opportunity cost of what you could be doing with that money instead. So the, I think for John and I, the math doesn't change. We still think, the vicious cycle of car loans every five or seven or eight years is a, still a dangerous and unhealthy financial habit for Americans to be in.
Jon: Yep. and the last point with this specific one is you can't double dip. All right? So if you are using this as a deduction for a business or something else, like. That you can't take that business deduction and then also take, this deduction as well. you can't double
Louie: Can't double dip.
Jon: The IRS is, is very creative in how they, do that and make sure that taxpayers are not double dipping. All right, so that's the big one. There's also this one, on tips as well. once again, unless you work for a fire department, I want to see your contract, but you're allowed to take tips. probably shouldn't apply to most folks, but,
Louie: you haven't been in the back of an ambulance for a while, John. We take tips now. We just have a little tip jar there. We even swing the computer around and they can choose how much they want to
Jon: tip. Oh, 50%,
Louie: 20 or 25%. It's great. We make a ton of money that
Jon: Oh, I love it. So if that's the case, you can deduct up to 25,000 of that, per income per year for single, filers. so, that's, you know, that might actually apply though. I do know that, there are some people that do a side hustle. There's also people that have, spouses or partners that are teachers and they do stuff on the summertime where they might work. for tips or whatever. So that's not to, say that that's not valuable or couldn't be valuable to some of the listeners, but, as far as just the straight firefighting gig, that's not really gonna apply to you. What I am happy though, that the federal government did somewhat listen to the fiscal firehouse, and this is something that we brought up, last year and kind of a source of frustration. And this has to do with the cost of, dependent care. So childcare. but we talked, you know, ad nauseum. Last year about the dependent care, flexible spending account, your FSAs and how it doesn't matter how many kids you have, it doesn't matter. how much daycare costs. It was capped at $5,000,
Louie: which had been the same for how many years,
Jon: I believe it was like 1984 basically, since it would've been instituted. So they did throw us a little bone. Yeah. So starting next year, January 1st, they're gonna up that limit. So it's gonna be $7,500 per year now that you can contribute to a dependent care, flexible spending account.
Louie: Long overdue.
Jon: long overdue, and it's a step in the right direction. I would've loved to see them double that, or quite honestly triple that, and it still wouldn't be enough, but it is a, a modest increase. once again though, you know, in their creative math is everything else that we've talked about. For the most part, they've indexed for inflation. This one. solid cap. 7,500 bucks. So in 2027 it's not gonna be 8,000. Nope. They're gonna just keep this, as is so,
Louie: well, hey Don, at least Donny boy was listening to the podcast because this was, this was kind of, one of your pet peeves that we talked, you talked about last year,
Jon: a big frustration for me, so it is a step in the right direction. All right, so just as a quick re little review though, if you didn't listen to that one, feel free to go back and listen to it. But really, what are eligible dependent care expenses? So really quickly, childcare centers or daycare facilities, those are all legit. preschool, nursery, or pre-K programs, all rights. Before and after school programs, summer day camps. if you have a nanny and you pay 'em on the books, all that stuff, that is all covered. What's not covered is basically private school. Like private tuition. If you do some type of overnight camps or you send your kids away in the summer for two weeks, that wouldn't qualify. kindergarten tuition, stuff like that is not, is not eligible. Tuition, or tutoring. all those things. No joy on that one. The other thing is who qualifies as dependent? your child has to be under the age of 13. and obviously you claim them as a dependent. you could also have a spouse or someone else that lives in your house that's a dependent, that is either physically or mentally incapable of self-care, they would qualify. So once again, the key with this one is though, and I know it affects a lot of our folks, so I just wanna highlight this, is you can only contribute. Up to, basically what you and your partner slash spouse have earned income for. So if you have someone that's a stay at home parent, all right? and they're not going to school and there's not some of these other, eligibility options, you can't contribute to this. All right? Because the purpose of this, the dependent care. FSA is to support both working parents. Outside of the home, and don't get me started on, you know, a single parent is, or someone that's staying at home. Man, that should definitely qualify as a job. Yeah. but that's just the way that the regulations are. So if you do have someone that's staying at home and is not currently working or earning income, don't contribute to this one because, they're not gonna let you. It'll be ineligible. All right? But that's the, that's the key with this. All right. So in in our president's fashion, there is a new account that's, being formed. they're calling it the Trump account or the Trump, savings account. and this is something that's supposed to get kind of a headstart. and any child that's being born, you know, for the next several years, it's supposed to kind of give 'em a leg up and it really wants to get people, I, I understand the incentive behind this and the reasoning behind it is they want all Americans basically to participate in the stock market. 'cause there's still 40 to 50% of Americans do not participate in the stock market. So they're trying to give everyone a little slice of the pie. But, I don't know. You want to go through the kind of the Yeah. the list on this one, Louis?
Louie: Yeah. So the, the Trump account is for babies born. In 2025 has to be born January 1st, 2025 through December 31st, 2028. So if you have a baby that's born between those years, which a lot of firefighters will, you can open up a Trump account for them and the government will see it with a thousand dollars. So it's a free. $1,000 contribution from the federal government. and that is kind of cool, like you could get that money for free just for opening the account.
Jon: And this is one, not to cut you off too quick, quickly, but depending, I think they're still working through some of this because some of the sources that I have looked at that are reputable sources is basically saying that they are gonna open this up for every kid. Regardless if you open up for the, regardless if you open it up for your kid or not, they're gonna seed it with a thousand dollars. Interesting. I think this is still something that, like I said, I think they're
Louie: working
Jon: through the logistics and everything else like this.
Louie: and it might be challenged in court, like who knows what's gonna happen. I, I think at, at least early understanding is that it's for sure for babies between born between 2025 and 2028, you, they'll get that a thousand dollars. Parents can choose to contribute up to $5,000 per year into the account. It's on a post post-tax basis though, so you will pay tax. You don't get the write off for it. You have to contribute it after you pay taxes on whatever amount you put into it. And then employers can also contribute. $2,500 per year if they choose to do so. And that is on a pre-tax basis that they get to contribute. So I guess that's good. If an employer wants to have this benefit where they say, Hey, we'll contribute $2,500 for each child you have, or something, that could be a nice way to have the account and it would be totally worth it in that situation. there's a little bit of, there's some rules over. How that money can be invested. it has to be invested in a diversified fund that tracks us stocks only. this is about America baby, not about, foreign investments. So they want all the investments from this money to be in US stocks, which is fine. As you know, John and I love the US Total Stock Market Index Fund. Huge believers in that. So, I get that it's not a huge deal, but that is just something to consider. And then the once you put money in, neither you nor the child can touch that money. Until that child is 18. And when I say you can't touch it, I don't mean that there's penalties for touching it. I mean, it is locked. You can't get it if you need it. I don't care if your kid has
Jon: there's no hardships,
Louie: disease. Yeah, you, you cannot touch that money. It is gone. You just have to assume that it went away. And that you'll get it back sometime in the future because you will have zero access to it
Jon: when
Louie: it does come time to withdraw. Withdrawals are treated very similar to a traditional IRA in the sense that they're taxed when you pull them out. and it's whatever your income tax rate is at the time, or whatever your child's income tax rate is at the time. I think that's an important thing to remember is this child. Or this account becomes the child's account when they turn 18. Correct. So even if your child is not in a good place financially and they're not responsible and you've been socking money in there and they have $150,000 in there when they turn 18, they can take that money and go blow it. They can go spend it on whatever they want and you really can't stop 'em. 'cause it's not your money. It really is for the child.
Jon: Yeah. Very similar to what a lot of custodial accounts are set up as whatever that age of majority in, in every state's a little bit differently. But yeah, once that is a good point. Once they turn 18, which a lot of kids will still be in high school, honestly, at 18, they're gonna have full access to however much money this is, so they can take it all out and blow it on. I dunno. Something real nice, maybe a new, maybe a new truck.
Louie: Yep. and then I think if, and, and that's, that's if they choose to take it out at 18, if they. Choose to wait until their retirement, retirement age 59 and a half, then they would just pay the ordinary income tax rate without penalties. Yeah. So if they choose to take it out before there is a penalty for that, it's a 10% penalty. and that's why we kind of said it's very similar to a traditional IRA in that sense. So the one, two exceptions to that is money can be withdrawn by the owner of the account for educational expenses, and they can take $10,000 out penalty free for. A home purchase and that's just a one time only thing. Yeah. Like you can take $10,000 and that's it. You can't keep doing it for your next home or your rental home or whatever. It's just you can take out $10,000 penalty free before retirement for a home. and that's kinda how the Trump account works. John and I were kind of talking about this right before the episode, but we were kind of like, yeah, you know, I don't. I don't think it's that revolutionary. I don't think it's that great. The free money, the a thousand dollars. Sure. That's great. I think if I had a child born, this year, next year, which I will not, but if I did, I would probably do it just for the, the thousand bucks, but I don't think I would contribute anything more to it. I think there's other ways that I could save for my child outside of that, that are more. Tax beneficial, if that makes sense.
Jon: Yeah, I, I mean, when I was going through all these, I, I think initially, once again, I understand the, the intent of this and why they are trying to incentivize people to start contributing to the stock market, because that is how people are generating wealth. It's by owning companies and shares of companies, so they want. All Americans to be able to participate in this. So I definitely understand the intent behind it. I just wish it was a little bit juicier as far as the incentive from the government, IE if they continued to contribute, a thousand dollars per year if you kept this thing funded or like a match program or something else like that. But, I'll be honest, for. Educational savings, there's much better vehicles From a task perspective, from a withdrawal perspective, way better bang for your buck 5 29 plan makes way more sense. but if you're just trying to save up money for your kids and you don't know if your kids are gonna go to school or what they're gonna do, honestly just like a standard. Brokerage account. So a taxable account so you can open up at Fidelity or Schwab or any of these other discount brokers 'cause you're already having to pay the tax on it. That's the part I don't like about this Trump plan already is you already have to pay tax on this and then you contribute to the account. But yet when you kid withdraws the money. They're getting
Louie: Yeah, it's like double taxation, man.
Jon: I just, I don't, I don't like the, the mechanisms of this. So if you just wanna save up money for your kids and you want them to have, money down the road, whether that's for school or whether that's for a house or something else that they wanna pursue, they wanna be entrepreneurs, whatever, and you wanna have some seed money for them, just a standard. Brokerage account that you can put in their name. So a custodial account I think is a much better option. It gives you way more options besides just the US stock market. it's only gonna be when they take that money out, it's only gonna be, capital gains on that. And a lot of these guys will probably be in the 0% tax bracket
Louie: Or I'll give you even, even a better option. In my opinion, it's a 5 29 account that's an educational savings account and with a recent, provision in a previous. piece of legislation, the 5 29 account now allows you to, roll forward up to $30,000 into a Roth IRA. So even if you were to put this money into a 5 29 account and then your child doesn't go to college, let's say they become a firefighter, they follow an old pop's footsteps and become a firefighter. So they don't need that money. Yeah. Well, $30,000 of it can be rolled forward into a 5 29, I'm sorry, into a Roth IRA. And then that's super beneficial because then that. Child who's now an adult has this, basically seated $30,000 contribution to a Roth IRA account, which as you already know, John and I love, and it grows tax free for them, and it's spent tax free in retirement. So I think that's a way better option. If you had, let's say you had $30,000 to put into an account, I'd say do it in a 5 29.
Jon: Yep. No, that's a good point. That was recent changes with the secure 2.0 act that allowed for that provision to happen. And I know a lot of planners and advisors that are, that are encouraging their clients to continue to fund those, even maybe over fund them, possibly with that, with that strategy or that plan that they will then, after they've either gone to school or they've decided not to go to school, they will start rolling over some of that money into the, into the. their child's account into a Roth account. Now, you can't do it all at once. You still have to hit the limits. So you could only do 7,000 per year. So you have to phase this in over five years in order to get that money in there. But it's a great leg up. so I, I don't know. I, I, I. I just think for the majority of our folks, I think there's other strategies if you really want to save for your kids in a different manner, whether that's education or something else. I, I think there's better opportunities out there. I think this is for people, that just don't have, maybe they've never participated in the stock market before. They don't have any of these accounts. They don't have a, a retirement account. A lot of these other things, which, unfortunately a lot of our society, Is in that boat. I think that's really who this is set up for. So, so that's the Trump
Louie: Yep. And then I think one of the final ones we'll talk about, is going to be charitable deductions. And before we get started, I just want to do a quick shout out. So, The fire service in general, the IFF partners with the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Yeah. And then every fall for like the last 80 years, firefighters will do what's called fill the boot campaign. And that's really how the MDA is funded. They will, firefighters will go out to stores, storefronts and collect money, raise money, and all that money is given to the Muscular Dystrophy Association, to help children with that disease. So it's a really cool program, really cool partnership that we have with them. And, My own crew. Station three A collected the most Yep. From our department. So shout out to all my homies on three A who were out there hustling and, doing a good job raising money for MDA.
Jon: I guess we can disclose where, where Res goes to collect. they do it every year. and there's other places that go, but you know, they go over their Wally world and it's just, and you know, I was talking to Reed about this and it's interesting to me, just society, you know, like most, a lot of those people, are not on the hire. socioeconomic
Louie: very working class. They're very, especially at that
Jon: they're very working class. but yet these are continuing to be the people that give the most, literally you got kids that are going to their piggy banks, whatever, in their car, dumping a bunch of change, whatever. And it's, it's fascinating to me. And then you go to other places, much more fluent places. They won't even look you in the eye kind of thing. And it just, I don't know. There's a lot of, behavior associated with that. There's a lot of psychology behind that, but it's, it's, it's just always eyeopening to me. I remember going when I was at threes, going to that Walmart, and just being really, I was taken aback by just how, supportive they were.
Louie: how giving they were. Yeah.
Jon: and really literally giving the shirt off their back, so to speak, in order to help someone else, shout out to them.
Louie: Yeah. And that's not to say that, the affluent don't give, maybe they just, they need to have the receipt. Maybe because they get a deduction, they get a deduction. So that segues into our charitable deduction. Portion of the bill of the OBBA. so starting in 2026, everyone can deduct charitable contributions, which is kind of cool. So for a single filer, that's a thousand dollars that you can deduct. And for a married couple filed filing jointly, that's a $2,000 deduction. And that's. Once again above the line deduction, which is good. And so that will lower your adjusted gross income, which is what you want. Yeah. So this doesn't matter, like before, previously you used to have to itemize in order to take out those charitable contributions. but right now, even if you take the standard deduction, or I shouldn't say right now, starting in 2026, when you file your taxes, you can, Take your deductions for charitable contributions and get a little tax break on that, which is nice. Which is nice.
Jon: Which is nice. Yep. You
Louie: gotta save your receipts because if you're audited, they're gonna ask you, well, what did you give that to? So the people that contributed to fill the boot with cash, ugh, probably can't do that. it might only be a few bucks here or there. But if you have like a organization or a cause that you're really into, and you write them a check or you pay with your credit card, or even if you give cash, you can ask for a receipt. You can save that receipt, just scan it. That's what I do with all of my, charitable giving is I just scan the receipts and then I keep 'em in a. Like in a Google folder or something like that. And that way if I ever get audited, I can show that I would, that I did actually give the amount that I said, but it's another way to save a little bit of money.
Jon: Yeah. And that one is, I mean, just with all these things, with the IRS and any type of deduction you are taking, you are on the hook as the taxpayer, for proving that you were eligible for that deduction. Once again, it's a rare outlier circumstance, but if you are audited, you will have to produce, those documents. So I'm guessing. once again, there's gonna be a lot of people that are gonna claim this deduction. A lot of people are gonna claim this deduction because it's above the line. but once again, if you are claiming this deduction, you have to be eligible. So you have to have to have those receipts in order to prove that eligibility. So that is nice though, because there are people that are charitably inclined. They're not giving away $50,000 a year, but they are giving several hundred or up. To several thousand a year. And it's nice that those people do get credit. 'cause before they, it just would've been, well, this is what I did because I believe in the cause, not for a, tax purpose. So I do appreciate that they are throwing, the average taxpayer bone on that one. So those are the highlight issues. what Louis and I feel are probably the most relevant, to the people listening to this podcast, and for those of you that are. That are in the fire service. We think that this is probably what's going to affect you the most. Now there is, this is obviously not all inclusive, right? There's a lot of things that we omitted just because they are very specific and, there are a lot of different resources out there when you're researching this as far as, specific things, and I'm sure there's gonna be more to come, regarding just how some of this stuff is actually going to get implemented because it's easy for them to pass legislation. But to get this actually implemented there might be changes with this, the next month, the next couple months. So, broadly speaking, this is just how this stuff is all gonna unfold, at least the way that the legislation is currently written. So, I don't know. All in all, like I said, I feel like, the majority of taxpayers are getting a break. They are gonna continue to pay historically low. Tax rates, they're getting some additional credits or some incentives in some circumstances to modify some behaviors. so, overall I do, I do think it's beneficial. I wish it didn't come at the, at the hes of, Medicaid, because once again, that is going to, affect fire departments throughout the country. in your revenue and how you guys are getting reimbursed. So, and also healthcare premiums, right? Those things have already gone up, up and up and up. This is just gonna accelerate that, that much more. So it's a, it's a give and a take. It's not perfect. but that's the bill. and that's how we see it, affecting you guys. Anything else you wanna riff on that one? kind of interesting to, to go through that one. and just, and just give you guys some of the highlights. So that's, that's what we got You wanna give your best, Trump impersonation?
Louie: No, it's pretty bad. I already gave it and that's as good as it gets. It's not very good. I'll work on it
Jon: though. Hey, dude, you gotta start someplace. when you first came in here and I was like, that was pretty good. But maybe on the spot. Louis's a little, a little gun shy on that one. you guys know how to get ahold of us by now, our listenership does continue to increase, every month. So we definitely appreciate that and we'll continue to try to kick these off, once a month and, and give you guys, stuff that we feel is, pertinent. this was timely obviously, with this just being signed a couple months ago. and we'll continue to try to. Provide you guys with some, just some talking points and just really just spur that discussion, with a lot of this stuff. I don't know if we know what's queued up for now next month. I think Louis and I still have to
Louie: we need do a little planning
Jon: a little planning session, little planning session
Louie: if you guys have anything that you're super, motivated to learn about or you want us discuss, please always feel free to drop us a line at. Ask fiscal firehouse@gmail.com or you can follow us on Instagram. our handle is fiscal firehouse. And you can send a private message to me that way too. And I, we read every, we read all of the emails, we read all of the private messages that we get.
Jon: a lot of fan mail. I mean, dude, it's literally every time I look in there, it's like, ah, dude, I gotta respond back to this. Like, I didn't have this 30 minutes blocked off in my calendar to respond all
Louie: There you go.
Jon: But no, we do get a lot of, kudos. and we just appreciate people listening. So we'll keep, we'll keep producing. So, we will let you guys get on with whatever you're doing, walking the dog, driving into the 9:00 AM shift change. We'll see what, we're not gonna talk about that
Louie: not yet. Not yet. That's
Jon: the vote. But do vote. We do have a, a referendum vote coming up. Louie, always a pleasure.
Louie: Always good working with you. Stay safe and keep saving.
Disclosure: The Fiscal Firehouse Podcast is a podcast curated specifically for local 1309 members. This podcast is for informational and educational purposes only, and should not be construed as professional financial advice. Should you need professional advice, consult a licensed financial advisor or tax advisor. The opinions of John Beatty, Louis Barilla and their castmates are solely their own, and don't reflect that of West Metro Fire Rescue.