If you don’t eat chicken noodle soup with a soda on the side yet, then at least check out how a member of K-pop supergroup BTS tapped a 2006 Harlem dance craze to make a splash today...you might reconsider your lunch plans.....chartmetric.com @chartmetric #chartmetric #musicbusiness #musicindustry #musicnews #BTS #jhope #hobi #chickennoodlesoup #CNS #CNSChallenge #beckyg #kpop #harlem #6MO #report #data
- If you don’t eat chicken noodle soup with a soda on the side yet, then at least check out how a member of K-pop supergroup BTS tapped a 2006 Harlem dance craze to make a splash today...you might reconsider your lunch plans.
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists, and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- We’re on the socials at “chartmetric” — that’s Chartmetric, one word and no “S.”
- Check us out on LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!
- This is your Data Dump for Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2019.
- Chicken Noodle Soup With j-hope and Becky G
- If you’re not a BTS Army superfan, then you didn’t know that they’re currently taking a break from their full-on conquest for the US market, which has been going on since at least late 2017. You can read about that in our blog, link in the show notes.
- And if you didn’t grow up in the mid-2000s, especially in New York City or the East Coast, you might not know about Webstar, Young B or AG, the artists behind a fun dance to their mid-2000s hit “Chicken Noodle Soup”.
- But what might be interesting to you now, is how even during BTS’ two-month hiatus...they’re still really working the US market, just through one of the members as a solo act, j-hope.
- J-hope is known for his dance skills among the BTS fanbase, and in the last week of September, he dropped a remake of the Harlem party anthem “Chicken Noodle Soup”, rapping verses in Korean and singing the catchy chorus in English.
- The track has likely amassed over 70M YouTube views as of today with over 5.4M likes and 550K comments...this is all within 1.5 weeks.
- J-hope experienced a 6x increase in Spotify daily followers to over 18K and doubled his Spotify monthly listener count to over 2M.
- While certainly the star of the remake track, he also enlisted the help of Latin American pop star Becky G, who has a Spotify Popularity Index (or SPI) of 84 She also 84th in her ranking in the Chartmetric system.
- J-hope’s SPI is lower at 69, while his Chartmetric ranking was 947th yesterday, so it’s clear that at least on Spotify, Becky G’s higher profile should be helping expose the BTS member’s solo career to more people in the States and the Latin community alike.
- However, likely a measure of how curious BTS fans were of this collaborator, Becky G experienced her biggest jump in the past year in daily Wikipedia views by almost 10x to 29K.
- Regarding overall popularity, BTS themselves are just ahead of her in terms of their own Chartmetric ranking at 82nd place, with an SPI of 90.
- It’s hard to say who’s helping the other out more: j-hope picked an undeniably American dance classic to stoke stateside nostalgia and to pour more gas on the fire, featured one of Latin music’s top stars to gain more global market share.
- But Becky G is certainly enjoying her own new fans from j-hope’s part of the world: BTS’ stronghold on several platforms is still major cities in East and Southeast Asia, and as for fandom, the BTS camp is world-class.
- As for the original artists, Webstar and Young B? They’ve experienced their own upticks...for example, Young B is now known as Bianca Bonnie, and she experienced a 100x increase in daily Twitter followers to over 5K upon the remake’s release.
- Better yet? Their soda on the side will come in the form of tasty, tasty publishing royalties, thanks to a couple of Korean and Latin pop stars.
- That’s it for your Daily Data Dump for Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2019. This is Jason from Chartmetric.
- Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com
- And article links and show notes are at: podcast.chartmetric.com
- If you haven’t downloaded our semi-annual global industry report 6MO yet, you can find it all across our socials and in our show notes!
- Happy Wednesday, we’ll see you Friday!
What is Your Music Data Dump from Chartmetric?
Fan followers, playlist ranks, monthly listeners...welcome to the world of music business data!
Join Chartmetric, one of the music industry's leading music analytics tools, for your morning shot of the latest news on music charts, artists on the move and influential playlists.
As of Nov 2019, releasing 2-3 times a month for a longer format.
Full show notes: https://podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data