Swizec and David talk about the key differences between Junior devs and senior devs, the concept of a 10x engineer, and different ways to gain experience quickly.
- Difference between Senior and Junior engineer
- Ways to gain experience quickly
- Career paths
- 10x engineers
- Setting up the right mindset
- "You can have one year of experience five times or you can actually have five years of experience" - ST
- "The more Junior somebody is, the more obsessed they are with their code following some sort of textbook perfection" - ST
- "The more Senior people tend to focus on is delivering value" - ST
- "The real art of engineering, specially in software, is how you respond to those evolving requirements, that's where most of the experience comes from" - ST
- "Going to a product-focused startup is a really good way to rapidly learn a lot of things" - ST
- "The actual titles aren't that important, they don't translate that well between different companies" - ST
- "At some point you become so good that writing the code yourself is a waste of your time" - ST
- "It doesn't matter how good of an engineer or a coder you are, a team of five people is always going to outcode you no matter what" - ST
- "Figuring out ways to get the same benefit without building the feature" - DG
- "Find people who have done that and talk to them" - ST
- "Having much more the consultant mindset rather than an employee mindset" - DG
- "If you are a developer, you have a superpower" - DG
So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
What is Junior to Senior with David Guttman?
A weekly show for ambitious devs who want to take their career to the next level.