This episode is about a topic that, for years, I get asked about a ton in person and via email from readers of my blog: achievement. Particularly, identifying too strongly with achievement and not knowing how to unhook from it.
Books mentioned throughout the show:
- Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk
- The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything by Fr. James Martin
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- “We become excessively attached to persons, places, material possessions, titles, occupations, honors, and the acclaim of others. These things are good in themselves when ordered and directed by the love of God. They become disordered attachments or disordered loves when they push God out of the center of our lives and become key to our identity." — Fr. James Martin, SJ.
- “The problem was that whenever I considered 'earning a living,' I thought mostly about the ‘earning' and nothing about the 'living.’” — Fr. James Martin, SJ.
- "[God] shows much more of Himself to some people than to others—not because He has favourites, but because it is impossible for Him to show Himself to a man whose whole mind and character are in the wrong condition. Just as sunlight, though it has no favorites, cannot be reflected in a dusty mirror as clearly as in a clean one." — C.S. Lewis
- “I am not my successes. And I am not my failures." — Donald Miller, at WDS 2013
- “Becoming isn’t about arriving somewhere or achieving a certain aim. I see it instead as forward motion, a means of evolving, a way to reach continuously toward a better self.” — Michelle Obama
What is The Kin Show?
A podcast that explores the intricacies of the human heart: faith, relationships, spirituality, parenthood, love, and more. Hosted by Marcella Chamorro.