Michael: Hello and welcome to Postgres FM, a weekly show about all things PostgreSQL. I am Michael, founder of pgMustard. This is my co-host Nikolay, founder of Postgres.AI. Hey Nikolay, what are we talking about today?
Nikolay: Hi Michael. It's your proposal actually, Limit, right? But before that, let's mention a little bit what our companies are doing because I think last time we did it 90 episodes ago.
Michael: Right, sure.
Nikolay: Yeah, so pgMustard, by the way, I wanted to tell you yesterday but forgot. During some session, people asked me about pgMustard suddenly and asked, can I recommend?
Michael: What did you say? I
Nikolay: said, yes, of course. And became shy. I should recommend it before they ask, right?
Michael: It's good that they ask.
Nikolay: So yeah, We discussed some plan and they wanted... Obviously we discussed how important it is to use buffers, our last week topic. If you haven't listened to it, please do. I mean, not you, but our listeners, right? Because buffers are super important and there are many aspects. And I actually found pgMustard as a good thing to visualize and suggest. It's not my idea, it's an idea from my customer. I personally think visualization is not the strongest pgMustard feature. Strongest is a list of recommendations based on heuristics, which is quite a good thing. So, and I know you improve it all the time, already many years. So it's great. Yeah. And what about me? My company is now currently creating bot. Check out our latest, it's only like a few months old, but our blog post, my blog post, where I described how we build it. And currently we are rebuilding it fully. It will be interesting. The release will be soon. Yeah, it's quite interesting. We bring it to web from Slack. I think you will live in Slack still, but it will be in web. It's just easier to use it there. And we started using different models, including Gemini 1.5 with 1 million context window. So yeah, we change our reg approach right now. And it's kind of interesting. It knows already more than 1 million documents about Postgres, it's huge. So yeah, that's probably enough about Postgres.AI and pgMustard. Then let's talk about limit.
Michael: Nice, yeah. That's cool to hear. Maybe we'll hear more about that another time about the differences between the models. Yes, so I suggested this topic and it came out of a tweet a long time ago that I found myself recommending over and over again to people because it was a phenomenon I saw and most people didn't understand or didn't intuitively understand, including myself. So this was a tweet from Christophe Pettus and the headline was, limit considered harmful or something along those lines. And it was a really good kind of initial tweet for a thread. I was like, what? Limit's good. There's so many good things about limit. It's really helpful for so many performance reasons. What's harmful about it? And he goes on to describe 1 specific case where it can cause plan flips and really, really slow queries in cases where you would expect it to be helpful in performance. So, that was the trigger for this topic, but it might be nice to discuss all the positives of using limit Well, at least when we should be using it whether we should be using it that kind of thing
Nikolay: Yeah, well first of all, I guess we will be fighting a little bit in this episode because we have different opinions. Let's start. I cannot be on the side of Christophe Pettus in that tweet. I think there is huge potential because limit, This is what every one of us is using all the time, right? The limit is everywhere. So if there are some cases when it's harmful, it's interesting. But my regular approach is if you don't limit, you're in danger. Limitless queries are harmful because you don't know if you tested. You know, my favorite topic, testing and experiments and how to test and the idea that if you test on small databases, you miss. It's not, It's like it's bad testing. It's anti-pattern unless you know what you're doing and do it before you test on full-size databases. So this is exactly when it's not even about performance. It's just if you test on small databases, small tables, and some queries showing some results on a page that don't have a limit. And we start usually with it. If we prototype something, first we do it like forget about pagination, Let's show everything here. But then you test, it works well, like 1,000 rows on 1 page is not a problem, probably depending on how heavy they are in markup. But then project grows and some users, for example, have 10,000 posts or, I don't know, comments, and you show all of them on 1 page, and you have problems. And this is a postponed problem if you start a new project, right? So limitless queries can be harmful quite easily, and this is a straightforward idea. If you limit, at least you tell yourself what to expect. Okay, I expect 15 rows, for example. Okay, we know it's good. We know how many buffers we should expect in the very efficient query. 15 times the width of row plus some internal buffer operations, continuing the topic we had last week. Right, and that's it. If you don't have limit, you don't know what to expect. Maybe it's a billion rows.
Michael: Yeah, so I agree and I think pagination is quite a good place to start because when people think like if you look it up limit in the docs for example, you're also going to learn about offset and it's a really common concept. Well yeah, so I'm a big fan of... I'm going to say friend of the podcast, Markus Winand, previous guest. Yeah. I've always wanted to say friend of the podcast. So maybe I finally got to say...
Nikolay: It was a great episode.
Michael: Thank you. And yeah, it was... So he has a page on his website called no offset and I just about trying
Nikolay: to I just used the offset hashtag on Twitter. I use it all the time because when we discuss when somebody mentions offset and this is not an expert who is doing offset on purpose, knowing why, for example, index-only scans before you deal with regular index scan. There you probably want offset sometimes, but very rare actually. So I always use this hashtag no offset. It's good.
Michael: I'm sure most people listening know exactly what these things do, but just for clarity, When we use limit, we might add limit 10 to the end of our query, limit 20, limit some number. And that will, as the name suggests, limit the result set to that many. That many rows.
Nikolay: Limit 0. I use sometimes. Do you use limit 0?
Michael: No, but I've seen quite a lot of offset 0.
Nikolay: I use limit 0 in 2 cases. When I, for example, create a table, I select specific columns limit 0. For example, sometimes just bootstrap some table. I don't want to repeat all data types. Sometimes it's like you're dealing with CSV or something. And also when I do tests, for example, presence of column, you can just select that column from table limit 0, not caring about anything. And yeah, kind of assert. So,
Michael: yeah, I've, I've seen that really cool use case. I've seen offset 0 used a few times, so offset is, so limit limits the first N results. I've never thought of using 0 for that. It's cool. Offset will jump you forward that many before you start limiting. So you could offset, you take the first 10, throw those away, and then limit will take you the next 10. So if you do limit 10, offset 10, you get the second set of 10.
Nikolay: Yeah, and offset 0 it's either some random generated, right? Because it was offset n where n is 0. Or it's also there was some performance trick, some hack, right? Yes. I already forgot.
Michael: It's quite, yeah, I think it's an optimization. It is or was an optimization fence. So it can, it can trick the planner into not doing certain optimizations, which I guess we'll get onto a little bit, but there is a line in the doc.
Nikolay: That trick or it was mitigated.
Michael: Well, something in the docs made me think it might... I think it's still... I think they still work, because I remember reading in a hacker's thread, or it was in a thread somewhere in the mailing list.
Nikolay: Yeah, certainly, it has been used, but it was so long ago, that's why I'm wondering if it's still actual.
Michael: So I read a line in the docs in preparation that the offset 0 is the same as omitting the offset clause, but I don't think that's quite true because of the planner implications, but in terms of the results, that's true. In the results, you
Nikolay: won't change it. Semantically, it's true, but physical execution might be affected with the presence of offset 0.
Michael: Yeah. So the reason I brought this up entirely was because we were talking about pagination, right? We can pack both common ways of paginating a used limit. 1 is the kind of crude way of doing it. And a lot of our ORMs, a lot of tools implemented it this way, at least initially, was to the first set of, let’s say, 20 rows that you want, just add limit 20. The next set, they just did offset 20, limit 20. And then the next 1, offset 40, limit 20. And the problem with that is performance degrades linearly as you go. And if you want to do a large, you want to get to page 20 or page 100, that can be quite an inefficient query. And Markus wrote a great post about why we should instead be doing key set pagination for predictable performance and efficiency.
Nikolay: Right, its explanation is simple, it's just because internally it fetches everything until that and discards. Exactly. It's like a lot of inefficiency. It grows with the depth of your originating, right?
Michael: So yeah, so what we were talking about in terms of good is where ID is above, like, where some parameter is greater than some, like, the last result you fetched and then still limiting by 20 or 21 depending on exactly how you want to do. Like that's something like that.
Nikolay: So limit 0 can be a problem or limit 10 can be a problem, right? Let's talk about this problem maybe, right? Because I hope I already explained why limit is good in terms of performance, because you limit, you understand yourself what to expect, and you know what is efficient and what's not if you look at buffer operation numbers.
Michael: I also think there are a couple of cases, like even simpler cases, like it is, chances are you don't want, like if your query could return a hundred thousand rows, do you really want
Nikolay: all of them? Right, right.
Michael: Or do you, you might only be interested in the top 10 or maybe your user might only care about the most recent 10. And returning all 100,000, even if the query is quite fast on the server side, sending all that data over the wire is inefficient. So there are, I think it's kind of like almost all more fundamental reason that limit is good for returning a subset of rows, exactly what it's designed for.
Nikolay: It's close to our topic about delete and batching. By the way, someone asked on YouTube comments, how about updates? And I explained it's very similar, but with additional things. So if you don't batch and send the whole result set in 1 shot, what if not only just it's a lot of memory and so on, but resiliency, reliability, what if it fails in the end of processing, you lose everything, right? And retry will be huge again. So it's better to go in smaller steps with retry logic. And limit, of course, is the key tool to split the batches. So generation, batching, we need it. And also, in general, common sense, if I limit again, like I know how much I want, this is my request, I want 15, for example, or 2,500, and if you scan many more parts of the database than these 15 records or 25 records plus additional internal like index pages and so on, then I'm not considering this as efficient work, right? So it sets a simple expectation and metric for efficiency. Efficient versus not efficient comparison of queries, right?
Michael: Yeah, I think that makes tons of sense. Like in application code, for example, you are suggesting that you're kind of communicating with future developers what the expectation is here. I think this is where we're going to start to differ in opinion, though, because I think this is exactly on the Let's say on an ad hoc query, I've sat next to people working on production systems that were quite scared and saw them and didn't think this was a problem, actually was learning from them at the time. They were only expecting a single row back and they added a limit 1 at the end of the query.
Nikolay: For example, primary key lookup, right?
Michael: Yeah, I think this might have even been like, I can't remember exactly what they were doing, but they definitely added
Nikolay: a primary key or a unique key. It cannot hurt because they are, it's like if you don't trust Postgres unique keys, you add limit 1 just as a sort, basically. You think, okay, I must check, it should fail or something if it returns more.
Michael: Yeah, I actually can't remember exactly why. The thing I remembered was, oh that's quite a clever way of not having a runaway...
Nikolay: Actually, I remember I did a different thing. I did limit 2 on purpose. So if something goes wrong and I have 2 rows and I don't remember where, but somewhere I should have an error or exception, catch it and process. So limit 2 was... Well, it should be unique, so I expect 1 row, but I add limit 2 on purpose to check later that it's not 2.
Michael: Yeah, I like it.
Nikolay: But yeah, so anyway, like in my opinion, the limit is always, I would add it like as a must for everything. I
Michael: think the fear was in this case, a runaway sequential scan across a huge table that might start to eat resources and cores. I think this was a very, very on fire server.
Nikolay: I'm thinking now and I think maybe I would just even consider this as a rule, mandatory, like limit everywhere and the only thing we cannot limit is, for example, SELECT COUNT * FROM something. This basically deals with all rows, returns just 1 number and we cannot limit there, unfortunately. There, okay.
Michael: I mean, you can add limit, you're just still going to get the count.
Nikolay: Yeah, limit will be useless in this case. Yeah, definitely.
Michael: The interesting thing, though, and I was looking back at just for fun, could I find a version of the Postgres docs that didn't have limit in it. I'm sure it's as old as time. But it was in an old version of the docs, I got back to 7.1, because that's the oldest one online. And there was a really, like, I got way more than I deserved looking back at that. And it said, as of Postgres 7.0, the query optimizer takes LIMIT into account when generating a query plan, which I thought might be a nice segue. So before 7.0, there wouldn't have been any danger in adding LIMIT to your query. I object.
Nikolay: Mind your language. This language is wrong. There is no danger in adding LIMIT. Let's already jump to the core of the topic. There is no danger in adding LIMIT. There is danger in having bad statistics or expecting some wrong, like forming expectations based on indexes which cannot support your ORDER BY with filtering and LIMIT. By the way, when you describe this case, focus on ORDER BY as well, because without ORDER BY, this case is impossible. It's not about LIMIT, it's about ORDER BY plus LIMIT, which forms expectations, like I mean, gives planner the ability to use some index, right? Yeah, so let's
Michael: talk about, well, for anybody thinking we've jumped, I shared some examples with Nikolay before the call, so that he will talk about that. I saw
Nikolay: this example before you like a long ago. I saw it live. I just.
Michael: Yeah, well, that's good. So, let's back up and try and explain the problem or the edge case or whatever you want to call it. So, exactly the same query, if you run it with and without limit some number, can be dramatically slower with limit the number added than it is without the limit at all, which I found really counterintuitive. And yes, it relies on some specific cases, but those specific things are not as rare in the real world.
Nikolay: It's not rare, I agree.
Michael: Yeah, so that person sitting in front of that console, hoping that limit some number is going to make it safe and guarantee fast execution.
Nikolay: Same logic is expected, Yes, I agree.
Michael: Can actually shoot themselves in the foot and make things loads worse for themselves. And I actually think there might be other advice you could follow. I'd much rather they added additional where clauses or other things than an additional limit. So that's potentially controversial. I'd love your take on it. Let's try to explain how this can happen. So the simplest case is to limit by a relatively rare condition and then order by something else that you have indexed. So for example, created at. So if we think about a, let's say, a software as a service business, and maybe you have a customer that cancelled a few years ago, and you want to look at their most recent event or something like that. And so you're looking at by company A, order by, created at, descending, limit 1, something like that.
Nikolay: Or limit 10.
Michael: Or limit 10, yeah, exactly.
Nikolay: So it can happen, the problem can happen with not only 1. It can be some small number. Yeah.
Michael: It could be a big number.
Nikolay: Or relatively small. The key is that it's small enough to have a flip.
Michael: Yeah. Well, Christophe made a good point that I haven't tested yet. He thinks it's worse around the point of the actual number of rows. There are some cases where, let's say that company had a thousand events, the limit of a thousand would be problematic. So the problem comes from not knowing, like Postgres assumes things are randomly distributed unless it knows better, unless it has statistics to suggest otherwise. And if it thinks that the table that contains these events is going to have events from any company in any order, because it knows it only has to fetch 1 or 10 events, it now has this optimization where it might be quicker for it to scan backwards through.
Nikolay: You missed a very important thing. Let me add things. So we talk about, for example, you took some SAS system, some users, and users have some activities, let's say, like comments or, I don't know, orders, anything. So we have orders table, for example. This is what you showed, if I'm not mistaken. I remember. So, orders. And we have user ID, we have created that, we have ID of order, enough. The key here is we want to select orders for this specific user in chronological order, like order by created at desc, so like in reverse order, the newest first, the latest first, right? And then the key here is not to forget, our developers, or we are developers, We don't know about multi-column indexes. So we created index on created at, we created index on userId, and on ID. Okay, let's simplify assumption. We like to index all columns. It's worse. And when we do it, we use only single column indexes always, right? This is quite a classic example. I can imagine it happens in the life of every engineer during 5 years, for example, of development, definitely at least once it should happen, I would say. 99% of developers. It happened with me many times. And with my products, my databases, and also with others when I observe them. Actually, recently we had a similar case, maybe a few months ago, I remember. So, the key is Postgres needs to choose, okay, I have filter, user ID, and I have order by created at desc limit 1 or limit 10. And I have 2 indexes. So I have 2 opportunities here to save in terms of IO operations. Of course, Postgres should avoid sequential scan here. It can be 1 user of many, of millions, so it can be a huge table. So we don't want to scan the whole table, so we need to choose only 1 index or 2 of them, maybe combine with bitmap scan and so on. But 2 opportunities here, filtering by user ID and also create order by created at desc limit 1 or 10. And the key here is order by. Without order by, the limit, it will be fast always because, I mean, order by is the key to consider index on created at.
Michael: Yeah, We need both the equality check and the order by to make it a choice for the planner. Either it has to filter on the equality condition with one of the indexes, take the data and sort it and return the order, or it has to choose the index that's ordered and take the first row it reaches that matches the equality condition.
Nikolay: It can be not necessarily equality, it can be between one and the other.
Michael: It could be any, like, yeah, so sorry, it doesn't have to be, it doesn't also have to be an order by the way, it could be a different, it has to be two separate conditions and those have to fall.
Nikolay: They fight between each other, right? Yes. How do they fight? They fight based on costs, based on statistics and what Planner expects in terms of cost. And the key also, like, important point here is that Planner has two costs. Startup cost, which can be very small, it means the first row can be returned very fast. And also the full cost. Full cost is the most important when Planner, like, the full cost is what planner uses to make the final decision choosing between a variety of plans, right? Full cost. So our case, index on user ID, if we use just it, it means Planner thinks, okay, I will choose all rows for this user, but then I need to order by them in memory, right? It means startup cost cannot be close to 0 because ordering and so on, it will take some time. And once done, only once done, we can return all the rows. I assume like in this case, startup cost and the final full cost, they are very close to each other, but far from 0 probably, right? But the other option, order by created at desc limit 1 or 10. This option means that we immediately use created at index, we start fetching rows based on there, but we need to filter out irrelevant rows owned by different other users, right? We only need our user ID. It means we start returning rows quite quick, but only if we find our user ID quite quick. There is uncertainty here. But for Planner, it's quite certain because it has some expectations about distribution. You mentioned it. Probably, a planner can think, okay, I will be lucky because this user maybe is not real user. Maybe it's still super active, by the way, because we start from the very fresh rows. The latest row will be considered the first and if our user ID is there, it means we already found one row in the first step already. And we go, go, go. But if this user is super inactive last year, for example, in reality, we need to scan the whole year to reach the first row of that user to return. And here is exactly where the planner can be very wrong. I mean, it simply doesn't know. It doesn't know. There is no correlation in statistics between user IDs and created that. And also, the planner doesn't know who is actively active and who is not. The planner doesn't know. So it can be very hard.
Michael: Yeah. So there are multiple. So I completely agree that you brought up multi-column indexes. In the case that I shared with you and the case we just discussed, a multi-column index on the user ID or whatever it was and then created that, ordered, would make this query efficient and predictable all the time. And so, if this was an application... Yes, yes, yes. But if this is an application query, and this was showing up in pg_stat_statements as a problem, and we needed to optimize it, and it was one of our biggest concerns, we didn't mind about the overhead of adding another index, great, we can add this index, remove the one on user ID or whatever we had, like, And it would be fast all the time. But I was talking about a case where we're sitting in front of a console on production trying to stop ourselves from running a large query or a slow query and adding that limit, even though we didn't think it would make a difference, even though we think we're only going to get one or two rows returned, if we add it, we're taking a risk that it could actually make things worse. Because we don't, like, if we don't check, and this is actually maybe what I would recommend. I don't know about you. But if you add explain before the query and just check what index it's going to use, does it make sense? If we saw it was going to do a backwards scan on created at, maybe that would be a sign that it was a bad idea. The tricky part is this is an issue because of a cost underestimation. So it's always going to look like a cheap query in cost. Like it, the reason it's being chosen, if it's a bad plan, if it was a slow plan, is because the plan is thinking it will be cheap. It's because it thinks it can abort early. So costs won't give you a clue here. You'd have to be attuned to the fact of which indexes it's scanning. And is that enough? Is that a good idea for this query? So I'm talking about production cases, like where you're doing ad hoc queries, not so much application queries where you should optimize.
Nikolay: Yeah, for example, we have to return our table and allow users to order by all columns in both directions. It's a nightmare to support in terms of performance. And if you have many of such tables or maybe you allow users to create tables, any tables, and you want to hide this performance optimization from them, some website builder or mobile app builder and you can say, okay, users, developers, your users are developers of website or mobile app and you say, I allow you to create tables, I will take care of performance. In tables, you're allowed to create columns, I will take care of performance. And you can put some element on your UI for your users, millions of users, and you can allow them to order by any column in any direction. It's a super nightmare. Absolutely nightmare. Yes. Because obviously you want to create index on every column and also you think, okay, I'm smart, I know about key set pagination, you get your pagination, you then allow this. This is exactly where you can encounter it, right? Because this limit... So I wanted to emphasize again, like I described, 1 index has very low startup cost. It's creating that index. And why is it low? Because Postgres doesn't know for arbitrary user. We probably want this query to work not for 1 user but for arbitrary user, right? So in this case, you probably think Postgres doesn't know for this particular user how fresh activity is or orders are, right? So maybe, but it assumes something. It can be slightly more, slightly less, depends. But it assumes something. For second row, it's 2 times more. 10 rows to 10 times more. But once we find it, we don't need to do anything. We can traverse, create an index and just filter out irrelevant other users, right? We just need to find our users. Once we find our N, 1 or 10 rows, we are happy. This is our final cost. And then if we don't use a limit, our final cost is our expectation for this user. This statistic probably is present. Probably, unless we don't have statistics at all. At all. Postgres expects for this user ID, I expect this number of rows, and this forms our total cost. Probably if it expects a lot of rows, total cost will be high and it won't start using this approach. In this case, it switches to the more reliable approach, I will fetch all the rows and do a memory sort. So the key here, if we limit, this is probably why Michael mentioned that the boundary is this limit. It's not the actual number of rows, but its statistics, suppose this expectation for number of rows for this user ID. So when our limit goes down, Below it, below this number, our traversal with filtering out irrelevant users becomes more attractive because total cost starts looking good there. But it's a trick, right? Because the problem here, it's a trick and of course, it's super interesting phenomenon. I would say this is a phenomenon. It's not a harmful situation because there are many cases when limit doesn't help. For example, we don't have indexes at all, we say, well, no.
Michael: No, that can really help.
Nikolay: It can help, it can help, yeah, yeah, yeah, because filtering out, it can help. But it's easy to imagine when limit is useless in this.
Michael: Actually, that's another time I use limit. So the docs are quite
Nikolay: on the measure. In general case, it improves performance because you will stop earlier. But on edge case, when our record is the latest in scanning. It doesn't help. Here we deal with a similar situation. In general it's good, but we have some edge case which not only doesn't help, but it decreases performance. But it's an edge case and it's phenomenal. It's not a harmful limit, especially because you cannot do this without order by. And especially because the problem here is not limit, but lack of proper index to call an index.
Michael: And again, we're talking about a one-off query rather than an ongoing optimization challenge. I'm talking about it's just an interesting phenomenon that, and I don't think most people expect this, that by adding limit you can make the query slower. And that's true. It can be a lot slower. So I just don't want people to use that as their safety mechanism.
Nikolay: You know, when you understand what's happening inside, adding limit is clear why it's wrong. It's clear. You just force the planner to choose the wrong index here. Right? That's it. But of course for people who don't dive inside the execution and planning process, they of course are very surprised and think limit is bad. But remove order by and you won't see this effect, right?
Michael: But the docs, and this is what I wanted to say, the docs quite often when you're reading about limit will say it's really sensible to use order by with limit because otherwise you're getting things in a like an undetermined
Nikolay: Again, 1 second. If we talk about arbitrary user ID, what if this user ID is super active and created a thousand orders right today? In this case, it's right. So that's why I say this is not even an edge case, it's a corner case. You have several things in the corner here. And observing various strange effects, phenomena, of course, it makes sense. But create proper indexes, that's it. But at least let's correct this harmful title. Let's say limit 1 with order by considered harmful. Order by limit.
Michael: It's not just order by, though. It could be another condition that you add.
Nikolay: Lack of multi-column indexes order by limit considered harmful. This is the full truth. This is the truth actually here. Not just limit.
Michael: I was hoping you'd understand my point of view on this. It feels like you haven't. I do think that in a lot of real world cases, people don't have perfect stats or they have data that's correlated strongly in certain ways. For example, like user ID and account ID being extremely tightly coupled. Or you know, the age old city and country codes. And Postgres assumes that all of these stats are uncorrelated by default. And if you don't, you can add, you can create statistics for these things. But in a lot of cases, we have a lot of skewed distributions in databases that we haven't created extra statistics for. And most of the time, the plan is great and can really can work things out nicely. But by having this limit optimization, it can flip plans that we're not expecting to flip. And the reason I found it so powerful is we're using it exactly in the cases where we're most scared of doing a big scan on production. If that's what you're really scared of doing, And this is something that can
Nikolay: be quite... Why do you not agree with all this concept that is harmful? Because imagine we don't have an index on user ID at all. In this case, if... In this case, created that shows bad performance because the user became inactive last year, we need to scan the whole year. But at least we have some approach to scan, right? Created that adds some order to scanning. Without it, we only have a sequential scan, right? That's it. So the problem is we don't have a proper index. Now, okay, it turns out we have an index on user ID. It happened to be helping, but what if some user has 50% of whole row like records, millions of records.
Michael: So bear with me. This is why I'm suggesting instead of running the query on production by adding a limit 1 or something to make it feel safe, instead of adding limit 1, put just 1 word, explain, in front of the query, not explain analyze, not explain analyze buffers, just explain your query without the limit and see what the query plan is before you run it. If you're scared of what it's going to do in production, do that instead of adding the limit. And you'll see which indexes it's using, whether you're
Nikolay: missing one or whether you're not. But I cannot add limit because I don't want my page to blow up because of many, many rows returned. ALEX LUCASSE-COLOMBRE-CAMPOYS
Michael: Well, add limit 1 and put explain in front just to check what it's going to do. Because that's what's really going to check. That's what's going
Nikolay: to actually keep safe. SLAVOJ ŽIŽEKERJÁNAS You will check the player behavior, right? ALEX LUCASSE-COLOMBRE-CAMPOYS
Michael: Yeah, you're checking what you're actually scared of instead of assuming you're going to be safe. It's like, I understand your point that it's almost never going to be a problem, but imagine if a safety on a gun, for example, almost always kept you safe. It's like a safety feature that's almost always good, but sometimes it's going to actually shoot you when you press that safety catch. Not when you pull the trigger, but when you press the catch.
Nikolay: Again, in my world, I add limit 1 to limit things. If it doesn't work, it means I don't have an index. If there is some index which would help me when I don't have a limit, I don't care because I do need limit 1 anyway.
Michael: And maybe you'll hit some like statement timeout or you'll cancel your query quickly or there was some other safety mechanism in place that will stop you from hurting yourself.
Nikolay: But still, if my limit behaves not good, I'm looking which index will help. And I'm not considering index on user ID as helpful here because I don't want to deal with a lot of records and memory because I need only 15 records. So that's why I jump straight to multi-column indexes here. And as we discussed...
Michael: I agree. I agree that to optimize this query, but we're not talking about optimizing the query, we're talking about should you use limit as a safety feature when you don't need it?
Nikolay: Why I don't, why might I not?
Michael: Let's say you know there's only going to be 1 row, should you add limit 1.
Nikolay: How do you know it's only 1 row? Unique index? If you have unique index, this problem won't happen.
Michael: Let's say a company could set up multiple things, but they generally set up 1. Like how many websites are you gonna have for each organization you don't have a unique index on it people can add a second okay but almost everybody else for
Nikolay: you for example right
Michael: yeah email addresses yeah it's probably gonna be less than 10 like you don't have any you know but you maybe you're not certain it's going to be 1, but you're pretty sure it's going to
Nikolay: be 1. But am I having up-to-date stats or no? Because stats will say, they will form an expectation to Postgres if it's a low number of rows, it would prefer.
Michael: I think I'm struggling because it's a simplified example, but if you've got lots of joins going on there could be all sorts of other like complexities.
Nikolay: Joins are tricky by the way. The same problem is becoming much more tricky but I don't think limit this problem. I think the problem is a lack of proper indexes and sometimes you cannot create them. Imagine user id is present in 1 table but created that is present in different table.
Michael: So you're saying you've never sat in front of a database where you don't know all of the indexes in the system, you don't know the state of stats and wanted to run a query and not being scared that it might take a long time.
Nikolay: Well, when I do this, I add limit, I understand that if I lack proper index, that will help. I might be dealing with sequential scan or wrong index have been scanned almost fully, right? I understand that. If you don't understand that, that's strange. Right?
Michael: Well, but then, so this is my, that's kind of my, like, takeaway. Instead of adding limit 1
Nikolay: and hoping that I'm okay. Let me give you an example I saw before what we discussed today. So we have full-text search, for example. And we have rare words and we have very frequent words present in the majority of records in TSVector. Yeah, that's a nice example. Right. And then we have created that OR ID and we want to find all matching documents and return only 15 latest, for example. In this case, Postgres must choose between need to choose, must choose between ordering by bit 3 and then applying a filter to add science, right, TS vector, add TS query. Or it might decide, okay, I need to choose, I need to extract all documents and then order by memory and then limit. Same problem, completely same problem. And I saw terrible cases when I thought, wow, like, why do you do this? Why do you think this word is super frequent? So instead of using gin, you decide to use B-tree to order by limit 15, for example. And then you end up scanning almost everything, finding my 1 or 2 records only in the end of scanning. It's absolutely the same situation. But the problem to me is not limit there at all. I put limit, I see the problem, I understand. Limit didn't help, I understand why. Because we need to combine both things in 1 single index and have only 1 single index scan. Unfortunately, this is impossible there, right, in this particular case. Because for that you need to use a RAM index and it can be not available. Nardius, for example, it's not present.
Michael: Or like work out some middle ground, take way more rows than you want and then sort them, that kind of thing.
Nikolay: Right, so I mean We sit on the edge here. We might be lucky, but we are not. And what else? What can I say? It's not a problem of limit, it's a problem of lack of indexing.
Michael: Let's try and wrap up. And I think I agree with you that to solve the performance issue, you don't get rid of the limit, you add a good index or you get your stats, like you work out your stats correlation, maybe create some statistics there. Maybe you just need to run analyze on that table or maybe globally, like that. There's lots of ways of solving it so that that query doesn't run slowly again in future. I just wanted to publicize and share that. And by the way, I wanted to shout out Frank Pashoe, who got in touch recently when I shared this Twitter thread again, to say, I think we agreed that it's an optimization problem. And yeah, he would completely be agreeing with you right now. I just found it really interesting and quite counterintuitive. Like probably it sounds like more than you did, that it could, like just by adding it could make a query slower.
Nikolay: Right.
Michael: Even though that's the sign of other issues. So I wanted
Nikolay: to clarify that. It's an interesting phenomenon, for sure. And adding a limit is not a performance optimization tool. Performance optimization tool is order by limit and improper index, like together. Yes. And at the limit, I should not expect quick execution. I just form expectations for myself and I can then say, okay, this is not what I want and find a better index, which is sometimes not possible, for example, GIN versus B-tree and so on. But by the way, to be fair, with GIN statistics already, Postgres is quite often right, so it knows when to use B-tree and quickly find proper results, and it knows when it's better to find everything and order by memory. So it's not that bad, but also not ideal, not just single index scan.
Michael: Yeah, cool.
Nikolay: Okay.
Michael: Thanks so much, Nikolay. Take care.
Nikolay: Thank you.