You're listening to DevOps and Docker Talk, and I'm your host, Bret Fisher. These are edited audio only versions of my YouTube Live show that you can join every Thursday bret.live. This podcast is sponsored by my Patreon members. I'd like to thank all the paid supporters that make this show possible. You can get more info and follow my updates on all the content and open source I'm creating at patreon.com/bretfisher. And as a reminder, all the links for this show, the topics we discuss. As well as the links I've already mentioned are available on the podcast website at podcast.bretfisher.com.
Bret: This week is another show from our 2020 archive that sadly we should have totally launched the month we had it. So it was recorded around this time of 2020 in the autumn of 2020. Basically a year ago, I had Darren shepherd, the CTO and co-founder of rancher labs on the show for our second now annual catch up with everything that rancher labs is doing. Now on this show, if you think of the context of what it was a year ago. We were talking about the recent Docker announcements about Docker hub limits, which of course now in 2021. We've all moved on beyond that. And Dockers made a bunch of announcements about new features and paid Docker, desktop, and all sorts of other stuff. But a year ago we were catching up with. Darren on all the projects that they're working on, including our ke and rancher and K three S or keys. And all the other stuff they're working on Rio. And there's just a bunch that we talk about. So I think that this show is still really great. A year later, I listened to the whole thing and I think it's super great. What rancher is doing in the space, and if you're at all new to Kubernetes, we talk about the different. Kubernetes distributions and how rancher plays with that and where it's best to use rancher. The rancher, gooey that we all could just call rancher as well as the rancher, Kubernetes distribution. Which are technically different things and where Rio fits. And then we go down some great discussion of the gap. Between Docker Compose, which I've talked about in other live shows recently here in 2021 and how it's getting a sort of a reboot and a whole new life and a bunch of new features. And so Darren and I talk about the excellent product that composes and how there's a gap between that. And Kubernetes and some of the ideas they have for solving of that. So it's sort of a great retrospect on where we were a year ago. In comparison to where we are now. So enjoy this. You're old but extremely still relevant conversation with darren shepherd the cto and co-founder of rancher labs thank you so much for being here, Darren.
Darren: Yeah. Thanks. I'm excited to be here again,
Bret: this is like our annual thing in the fall. It's like the tradition now, since tradition, since we have you for the second time in two years, might as well say it is a tradition. So Darren has been on the show before and we talk, we basically run through all of Rancher Labs, projects and products, and it's a great rundown, of course, you know, being the co-founder and often the person who came up with the idea in the first place, Darren is the great, a great person to talk to. So I'm glad to have you. . I have some questions of my own that I need answers to that I'm hoping that Darren can shed some light on you can also follow up by the way, follow him. You can find them on Twitter. He's constantly tweeting. And he's, it's always good stuff. It's always good stuff.
Darren: For instance, like I had one complaint about a
Bret: lot of stuff. Yeah, that's true. Well, and I like your honesty. You don't complain this like a complaining though. You complain about legitimate things. You had a tweet today actually that I wanted to ask you about, cause like we're going to go random on the topics today. Aware of a Docker registry service that supports assigning a custom domain. I'm not sure what I, what you meant by that, but it was an interesting.
Darren: Yeah, well, no, because we're looking for where to host our images because, of the recent changes with Docker hub and the limiting and whatnot we're running into a significant problem because the our users, our open-source users are all getting rate limited and we haven't been able to find a decent solution. We're looking at our options. So one of the things is we would like to have our own like domain of like, Rancher registry or something like that. But, if I go with like ECR or R I'm sorry. Yeah. ECR or GCR, can I do that basically white label it cause we don't want to run it or run it ourselves. But but what we're finding out is this is actually a really tricky one is the amount of data that we're serving up in images today is absolutely ridiculous. We had no idea the amount of bandwidth that is coming out of it. Of Docker Hub today. Yeah.
Bret: Because they don't, they haven't exposed that before. Yeah. They haven't given us those tools to see it. So you, yeah. So we count
Darren: the guests we've been working with Docker directly in trying to figure out a solution of, what makes sense. We have no problem with paying for anything, but you know, whatever solution makes sense. So we, we are that between was just cause I'm legitimately looking for what are the best ways for people to run registries and also where the bandwidth won't kill me the cost. Right.
Bret: Right. Well, that's a, it's a discussion that we've been continually having with the Captain's group too, because a lot of us support a lot of, I mean, all of us got into be Docker captains because we were largely focused on open source and Docker's original engine engine was open source and that was the focus and we were all. Very concerned as well about the announcements earlier this year. And we were confused by them as well. I think, I feel like Docker is trying to do the right thing, but obviously like it's a very expensive thing. So we all sympathize with them cause it's like, it's a super expensive and you know, people are paying for it, but yeah, it's a tough, how do you satisfy all these needs of open source? It's a
Darren: tough problem. Yeah. And like, I totally understand what they're doing. And I mean, because it's like, they've basically been giving away free storage and free bandwidth for quite a while now. And we all knew that had to end it at some point. So yeah, we're in a, kind of a little bit of a strange situation. I think our situation might be a little more that unique. Because we are an open source project. Yeah. So there's
Bret: not an efficient, yeah. You're not an official image, but you're a big open source provider and
Darren: yeah. Out of content and bandwidth we're pushing is really large, but we also don't have a specific like customer base. Well, I mean, we have our customers, but our users are, 10 times a hundred times more than our customers. So yeah. So it's hard to say like, well, everyone just use a Docker account and yeah. So it's been tricky. Yeah,
Bret: that's true. And for those of you listening and you're like, what are they talking about with this this rate limiting stuff. So go back into, if you go to Docker hub is putting in new rate limits and other limits to basically ease us into the idea that a lot of us are gonna need to pay $5 a person or whatever. For some things so that we're not doing unlimited hosting and unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth and their, the their website and their blogs. So just go to blog.docker.com. We'll actually have a bunch of those blog posts. If you're interested in this show, we've talked about it a lot. So if you go back and just search Docker Hub at bret.live that'll take you to YouTube, and then you can search on the previous shows and we've probably had three or four shows just talking about this for like 50 minutes or something. But I was interested in that tweet cause anyway, so random topic. Let's start off before we get to the questions, let's start off with your main product Rancher. And so Rancher lab is a company Ranchers, one of the products. What is Rancher and how, how does it relate to Kubernetes? I guess? Cause people often ask me like Rancher versus Kubernetes and that's like a weird question. Yeah.
Darren: Yeah. So fundamentally what the product is that, it's I want to clarify everything. We do. Everything is completely open source. It's free to download. We don't even have a it's like the open source bits are the same ones we give to our customers. So it's freely available, but so our main product that we have in cell support for is basically defined as a multi cluster manager. So it's going to help you deploy and manage Kubernetes. And so what that Kubernetes is we're not very particular about what, flavor of Kubernetes you get. That's what differentiates Ranchers. We really view Kubernetes as a commodity. So if you're getting EKS or GKE or AKS, or you're running it, you want it to set it up yourself through kubeadm or, you use one of our distributions, like RKE is our distribution for enterprise k3s as our distribution for edge. So Rancher is going to help you basically deploy those deploy those distributions or manage them, do the security set up, GitOps, deploy applications, the way we view it as it's like, we want Rancher to be your portal to the Kubernetes world. We're the entry point. Like if you're just starting off today and you want to deploy a cluster Ranchers, really great spin up Rancher makes it really easy to deploy a cluster and you can get running. If you're a large enterprise or you're more mature, Rancher will scale up to those use cases too. And yeah.
Bret: Yeah. I like it. That's a really you're well-practiced at that. All right. So related to that, usually when I get someone that comes in and they're asking, okay, Ranchers, this thing that I can use to deploy Kubernetes, and it's one of the ones I recommend to get started, especially right. Trying to do a Kubernetes vanilla as we call it the for those out there that the Kubernetes ecosystem has lots of different distributions and you can do just the pure open source upstream. But to me, that's a little bit like building your own Linux kernel. It's really only for the people that know what they're doing. And so I'd like, and I, in my courses, I talk about Rancher is one of the ways for deploying on a server. And it has sort of, a lot of it makes a lot of these decisions for you and puts it together. But how has that sometimes when people are getting started, they hear something else called RKE. How is that ranch different than that? Or how are they related?
Darren: Yeah, so RKE is like our distribution of Kubernetes. And so RKE is going to be very similar. To I mean, any other distribution that somebody offers like EKS or achy, so where RKE? Cause like the way we view it as I mentioned, like we kind of view Kubernetes as a commodity, you can get it anywhere. So you should be really running the Kubernetes version. That is the best for your environment. So if like you're an Amazon, EKS is probably going to be the best thing. But if you're on premise, like on premise, you're running your own servers. You need some options. You need an answer there, and that's where RKE comes in is like, we give you a distribution. That's going to be good for, data center on prem. And then also, very similar to that, we have k3s which is another another distribution. So that it's just one, one component in the bigger picture. It is not required. It's optional. A lot of people like RKE we have lot of people using it. But we don't, we don't try to fight and say, RKE is the best distribution ever, because it's like, well, like we just give you one because you need one, but if you get one, some other way, that's fine. Like our goal is really to just help you manage Kubernetes and, yeah. Right,
Bret: right. I like it. And you just recently had back to the Rancher part, you just recently had the 2.5 release. And I got a lot. I got, yeah. A lot of emails about that asking me to read stuff that I didn't read. So do you have a summary of what what 2.5 did for us? Here in
Darren: 2020. Yeah. So 2.5 it was a major transition for us. It's leading us into probably what will be like a 3.0 release. So there's a lot that actually changed under the hood, but it's really solidifying kind of this viewer story that we've had in the company from the very beginning of like computing everywhere. It's like, we really want to enable you to be able to deploy. Applications anywhere. It doesn't really matter where it is. You can have a consistent approach if it's on premise cloud edge, whatever. So our 2.5 release strengthens our ability we have better integration now with k3s S to, expanding into the edge. We've better integration with EKS, so you can manage the cloud, Amazon cloud better. But one of the major features that I personally worked on that I really care a lot about is the integration of Fleet and Fleet is our GitOps at Scale solution. So this is a GitOps solution that will scale up to a million clusters. It really came out of our work in the edge space but that's been directly integrated into Rancher. So now when you install Rancher, you have a built-in GitOps solution that that, worked great for one cluster works great for a hundred clusters, also works great for, a million
Bret: right. Fleet. That's is that did that get released to this year? That was a 2020 thing, right? Yeah.
Darren: Yeah. It was a 2020 thing. So we announced the project earlier this year. I think it was around like maybe March or something. So we announced that and when it first started, it actually had no direct integration with Git because I just gave a talk on this at edge conference, this edge conference we did yesterday with Microsoft and the Amazon. I went into kind of great detail on the architecture and whatnot because the key thing about Fleet is the multi cluster capabilities is how to deploy to a lot of clusters and how to manage the configuration and how to do that at scale. And so Fleet is like a very powerful multi cluster management engine. And then you kind of layer get on top of it and then it becomes an excellent GitOps. But Fleet is actually, it's a project you can just use Fleet directly by itself. And then it's really nicely integrated into Rancher if you want a GUI. And it automatically, because you have to register clusters with Fleet. So the, all the clusters under management and Rancher automatically get registered with Fleet. So you can just add to get repo and it starts deploying software through that. So you can use it by itself, but you know, it's even better with Rancher.
Bret: Yeah. Nice. And any anytime. I mean, GitOps is starting to be a buzzword a little bit like DevOps, where, what does it mean?
Darren: Right. So yeah,
Bret: no, go ahead. I was gonna say like, what do you define GitOps or what is Fleet do and to GitOps away necessarily? Yeah. Yeah,
Darren: because I mean, it is such a bit of a buzzword or whatever, but it's like, basically it's the, when I talk about get-ups, I'm specifically talking very much about the kind of the Kubernetes flow of like, everything you need to find in Kubernetes is a manifest, it's a desired state. So like you just have to do kubectl apply and that becomes something. So it's a very logical, simple thing of like, well, what if I just put those manifests and get, and when I change it, you know what I updated and get you just automatically apply it to the cluster. So it's like GitOps with Kubernetes is like a no brainer. It's like, oh, it's so simple. And that's why you see projects like flux, which are really good. It's a very simple approach and it worked really well. The complexities is just how you start how do you do this at scale? And, but the basic concepts are. Are so simple. And so like when I talk about GitOps, that's all, I really care about there. And like, I don't even think, like, there's definitely a lot of problems with GitOpss too. It's not like, it's, you know, there's just never like a silver bullet for all these things but it has a lot of benefits now that it's like, it's clear. I mean, I'll tell you like some of the downsides is. Things we tried to fix with Fleet. Is this like, as people scale up with good offs is like, well, they thought they would have all the centralized control and everything, but they ended up with like a million get repos and different branches and people are doing PRS and they're just like, well, what the heck's going on? Like, what's the real state of my environment. And that was one of the driving factors behind Fleet where we're like, well, I can't just hook like every cluster directly to a get repo because I don't have enough centralized control and visibility, like, especially in an enterprise, like how do I, you know, what the heck's going on? So Fleet works as a kind of a centralized GitOps manager. So you can go to one place and get visibility of everything and then also control like our back and stuff. If you're in there. Right.
Bret: So does that replace something like Argo or flux?
Darren: Yeah well, so like flux is like fundamentally not multi cluster. I mean, maybe the newer flux stuff. They're doing a lot with get-ups tool kit and maybe some of that's moving towards multi cluster, but like the flux V one was not multi cluster. Argo is multi cluster. And I know a lot of like our users and customers are very successful with it. Fleet plays in the same flight plays in the same space, so it overlaps with it. Maybe competes with them to a certain degree. I don't like really to compete with other open source projects, but but it's like the architecture of Argo did not work. To get to the scale we needed. We our Argo is a push model. And that's, we know firsthand the complexities of that because Rancher two is actually written as a push model. And that will currently scale to a couple thousand clusters. Whereas with Fleet, we needed to get to a million. So we had to flip to a, we Fleet, the architecture of it is really what we say is like a two-stage pole architecture.
Bret: No, I never thought about that with with Argo being pushed. We had I had Viktor Farcic on two weeks ago, three weeks ago, something like that. And our, so our whole show was about Argo CD and GitOps. And so for those of you watching again bret.Live takes you to YouTube. You should go back in the videos a couple of weeks, and you'll see a guy named Victor and we're talking about Argo. And so if you wanna know, like get more into get us, which is my favorite thing of 2020 is. Of to get operating all the things in Kubernetes. Sadly I, for those of you that are Docker and swarm fans, I don't I don't have any tools yet that anyone has really created that automate that, although it wouldn't be terribly hard, but it, I haven't seen it. So maybe you could be the one, maybe you and the internet, you could be the one open to open source. Not necessarily Darren, because he's already probably got a list of 50 things that he needs to make open source projects, because he's constantly coming up with new stuff. We talked about that last time, actually, if I remember the question where I was saying something like what's your backlog of the list of things like, all these things that you've said I'm just gonna make a little personal project. And then it becomes a product that everybody wants. And it's like, what's the next one? What's on your list that you haven't yet totally went abroad because you have any time. Hey, time to work
Darren: on our stuff. I mean, there's so things, I mean, cause basically it's like, if you follow me on Twitter, I complained about everything. But like the way I kind of view is like, I don't like to just complain for complainant. It's is it's like I, I legitimately want to solve the problems too. So if like, if I'm complaining about something it's most likely, cause I'm also working on it or I'm using it and I'm trying to make it better. And I mean, I just have a massive back backlog of ideas or things or whatever. The one, one thing that's been fun with Ranchers as scaled as a company we're up to, I don't know. I don't know. I think we're like approaching 300 people. It's like two 50 or something like that. Yeah. It's gotten big. Is we've I think we're getting better at like, I can basically kind of prototype and come up with an idea and then hand it over to a team who can actually support it because supporting, it's the maintenance of software that kills you. I mean,
Bret: Even just one project, like one project that, there's people, there's how many projects right. In open source on GitHub are have thousands of users and there's one person more or less with a couple of PR,
Darren: you know? Yeah. Well, I know. And then it's like, oh, there's 300, 300 contributors. And then you go to the insights tab and you go, oh, that was, those were all doc commits. It's like, there's only two guys working.
Bret: Yeah. 99, 90 9%, 99.9% of all commits are from one person. Then one commit per person for the other 3, 299 people or whatever. Yeah. I mean that, and that's tough. I mean, open source is great, but also those of you that have ever made any out there made any projects on open source, like, I'm sure you sympathize with us that you'd just be nice. Like just the rule
Darren: is yes, please. Because the reason
Bret: we haven't replied to your thing or fixed your thing, isn't because we're ignoring you. It's because there is a thousand other things that we're trying to also do and it's yeah. And
Darren: it goes to, it goes both ways too, because it's like, as when I first got into the industry, I was a Docker user. And so I was the really annoying Docker user complaining about everything. And then we ended up creating Rancher and now we have a decent following or whatever. And so now I have users complaining at me. And so now being in this position, I also realize it's like, as a maintainer or whatever, to, it's important to be nice, just give everyone the benefit of a doubt, it's like, yeah, it was just, there's no reason to GitOps.
Bret: That's generally the rule in the internet, but especially in open source on GitHub because yeah. And I think I wake up every morning and, cause I myself have with my courses, I've been lucky enough to. Like five or six repos, some thousands of stars or something. And they're none of it's really that useful to people other than to learn or to use tooling, to learn different parts of swarm and Kubernetes. And so luckily they're not, there's no production stuff in there. Right. But I think I probably wake up every morning and think about that one repo that once someone asked about yesterday that I haven't done anything with in three months and that I should do something about it. So for those of you out there that have ever asked, we're probably thinking a lot more about your stuff, then you realize it's just a matter of managing all the incoming
Darren: so yeah, there's a lot of great questions coming in. I know we're going to get to some of these. Yeah.
Bret: All right, so I'm just gonna start doing some rapid fire for you. We're looking to move our Azure Docker enterprise swarm to either Docker, Kubernetes. So Mirantis Kubernetes or to AKS but we want great monitoring and management. How would Rancher apply to either change?
Darren: Okay. Docker, Kubernetes. Oh, with Miranda.
Bret: I think he thinks of that Docker enterprises Mirantis or a K S how would Rancher relate to that?
Darren: Yeah. Yeah. So it's like, if your strategy, if you're already going to, like, if you're in Azure and you're S you're staying there, you're happy with that cloud or whatever. I'm always going to say, go with the cloud distribution you're by far going to get the best experience. It's going to be integrated the best with all their services and whatnot. So I would definitely say if you're an Azure, then AKS is going to be your best option. That's still, check out Rancher to also manage it because we add a lot of functionality on top. But in terms of distributions, yeah, the cloud, you really can't beat, what AKS EKS GKE are doing.
Bret: Yeah. All right. But what Rancher. Could Rancher manage the AKS,
Darren: is that yeah. And so we're Rancher would like, would add value to that is is so we will help you manage all of your clusters you, cause we actually, we partner a lot with Microsoft and have a lot of really successful customers and deployments with Microsoft customers on Azure. And so what Rancher is gonna help you do is like, come up with a strategy of how you manage multiple clusters, how you do authentication and authorization across those clusters. So let's say what you can do is you can create an automation flow, like GitOps or Terraform or whatever, which is then interacting with Rancher, which is then deploying the clusters. And then Rancher will add on top of it, like monitoring. Also, if you want to go with like more Prometheus oriented, I mean, Azure is going to give you their kind of integrated monitoring. But if you want to go with kind of Prometheus and that approach, which is quite nice because it's all container negative and all that stuff. So it's like Rancher will help you with that. Yeah. The way we look at it is like, you know, what kind of, once you get the Kubernetes base in there, now you can just start dealing with kind of a pure Kubernetes world. And then Rancher is going to help you with that, so we can, hook up like the good ops pipelines and things like that.
Bret: Okay. We've got a question on, I don't even know how to pronounce this, I guess this is the question. Kyverno versus OPA. Oh, wow.
Darren: Yeah.
Bret: Goodness. So let's get some skills out there. Someone knows what they're talking about.
Darren: Yeah. Serious. Yeah, so I think not to say Kyverno, I'm going to go with that pronouncing. That's great thing about open source. You never know how to say anything. So I'm a big fan of actually Kyverno. I OPA is. It's got the Mindshare or the orig, like it very quickly became the de facto solution of , oh, Hey, OPA is the answer for everything. So OPA is nice because it's a policy engine that's going to work for anything. And then, so you have gatekeeper, which is going to be the Kubernetes specific integration. So if you're looking for a solution for enterprise or like for policy management or policy, offering an enforcement across anything, OPA is your way to go. If you're focused more on Kubernetes and you just care about Kubernetes, Kyverno is significantly easier to use. I very much like it. So it just depends on, on, on your approach. Cause like, to me, the biggest downside of OPA is Rigo. I don't know how you say it, but it's their policy language it's based. It's, derive from data log, which is dry from prologue, which is so it's a different way of viewing everything. It's more of a query language, a query and evaluating data. So it's a little hard to grasp at first. So I'm a big fan of . I don't think at this point in the policy space, anybody should be making a large bet of just saying like, this is the only solution going. Yeah. So I honestly would say we'll just start with Kyverno. And if that doesn't, if you need to extend, pass it then try this, try
Bret: that, the challenge with any of these tools, I think, right? Like in the container world. I think the only thing we've standardized on is that the Docker file the Docker file. Like the image format is the image format.
Darren: Yeah. It's like the only the longest thing that's going to last out of all of this is going to be the OCI image spec. That's basically. Yeah. That was a great one.
Bret: Yeah. I mean, and I know I have tried neither of those, , I've only dipped my toe into controllers into mission control. I'm always curious about other people's experiences. And so that's not to keep plugging that discord chat, but there's a lot of smart people in there that keep asking questions and they're like, what do you think of this? And I'm like, I don't have time for all of the things. So maybe I need to ask, have Darren more on the show to have these and Kubernetes questions. That's why I asked everybody's opinion on there. . Like, what do you guys think? And I go jump into Docker Captain's room, which is always a great slack to be in. Cause there, there's a lot of experience in that room as well. Cause they're mostly senior, . DevOpsy sysadmin people. Yeah. Personal Docker registry equals nexus. Is that versus nexus?
Darren: I think we're probably saying like that's a good option. I mean, nexus is a decent option for the Docker registry. I'll say for our use case. I don't have as much experience with nexus. I mean, I've seen a lot more like, Artifactory JFrog being deployed. That's probably the one I see the most, if you're not going with a hosted, a cloud vendor or whatever
Bret: interpret our biggest events because that's paid right as a
Darren: paid yeah. It's pricey. And our biggest thing is the running the operations of that at the scale that we need. I mean, I we're pushing over a petabyte of data a month in terms of our our image a lot.
Bret: Yeah. I mean, starting in 2017 when I started doing DockerCon talks about production and how to get to production faster, project planning. Basically I would have these couple of slides on it and that's like, things you should outsource do not run your own registry. If you can get at any way, avoid it. Like it's a, it's an HTTP storage system. It's boring. Like why do you want someone constantly managing garbage collection of images and bandwidth problems and storage problems? Like, that's just,
Darren: yeah, it's it's a rest API on top of S3. I mean, I mean, it's like, it's just another object storage. We just called it, a different thing. So it's , no, please don't run them yourself. They're there. Yeah. If you can just get it as a service, that's much better.
Bret: Like we measure, how can we measure production grade Rancher? K3s
Darren: so yeah, the beauty of a k3s is it is still just Kubernetes. I mean, it's like, we did a lot to make it small and easy and whatnot, but it's so Kubernetes. So like how you're going to monitor and manage it is really no different than Kubernetes in general. And because k3s has actually gotten so popular, we're now actually seeing first-class support from it, from like, ecosystem partners or whatever. So I, it's like, I think SysDig now officially supports it. And so you can run all those same. Um, just run those and you'll get a Kubernetes cluster. But yeah I mean, it's, Prometheus Datadog assist egg, all the regular solutions. It's like basically how you want to monitoring monitor it. So if you hook up k3s to Rancher, you can deploy you know, Prometheus the Rancher and then you get the normal monitoring there. Yeah.
Bret: Yeah. Compliant or what does it conform it, inform it
Darren: conform. Yeah.
Bret: There was a couple of comments about the GitHub running the Docker registry, but to my knowledge, GitHubs still requires auth on all of its registry stuff. And we're allowed this open source stuff. The challenge is doing it without auth.
Darren: There, there's a question here. How did you come up with the idea of replacing etcd by with SQL light? That's a super technical one, but that's a fun story.
Bret: Yeah. I've been watching a little bit of the drama as it unfolds.
Darren: Cause this is ever since, so basically Rancher got into managing Kubernetes, basically as soon as Kubernetes started getting users. And so our biggest hassle of managing Kubernetes has always been and still basically is etcd because it's a persistent system. So just like not to harp too much, it's like etcd in the earlier days actually had some reliability and some issues or whatever these days is pretty rock solid. But it's fundamentally at the end of the day it's persistent system. And so from the very beginning, we all went. We're like, well, why do I need etcd? Why can't I run on top of something else? Cause I don't want to run like our customers don't want to run a persistent system. Like they would much rather get it as a service. And so the motivation for swapping out etcd with something else was always that I'd like to be able to run it on RDS because I can just pay for RDS and I don't have to worry about operations or if I'm in an enterprise I have a database team and they just do it for me, so I don't have to worry about it. So we actually started this work way means like five years ago we did this. We contracted glider labs to develop a prototype of replacing etcd with you know, doing the shim of getting etcd to run on top of our relational database. And w and we basically proved that the idea was feasible, but the timing wasn't quite right. So it was this pet project of mine after that for many years, where I just kept hacking away at a database, how, like a database solution for Kubernetes. And so it wasn't until k3s came along where we then found a perfect use case for it, because we could swap out FCD with SQL Lite and then it made Kubernetes much more lightweight, less intensive on the disc, much more, better, like much better, much more, better, much better for you know, edge solutions. And so that's where it came from. It's like people actually don't realize that. Really the amount of effort that went into creating that. And so that code is actually it's in a project called kine, which is a project that I really would like. It's part of k3s you know, k3s is a CNCF project now. So that project is hosted with k3s in CNCF. But that project, I would like to see graduate, like move upstream to be a Kubernetes project, because you can run Kubernetes on top of any database. And I had mentioned Fleet, we only talked a little bit about Fleet and how do you scale Fleet to a million clusters? The only way to do that is actually you have to run Kubernetes on top of on top of a relational database because the data store etcd just won't hold up. So this is like a super technical component. Something I've worked on for many years. I actually pretty darn proud of that. It, that it works. And I do see. As the cloud distributions, like EKS and those things get more, you know, as that becomes more of the commonplace that all of the cloud vendors are basically gonna move away from running etcd. Cause they're going to run different. It's just too costly to run etcd. So it's like, you could run, we haven't actually done it yet, but it's like, it's theoretically possible to add a driver to kind to support like dynamo DB, and then it would be ridiculously cheap to run a Kubernetes.
Bret: Yeah. That's a really good one. And I'm going to have to like make a clip of that. Yeah. That'll be its own YouTube clip etcd and SQL Lite. Yeah. In all the SQLs. Yeah. Talking about that. All right, so there's a conversation Darren's argument against GitHub registry and sfxworks pointed out that GitHub now recently allowed for public pools to require no authentication, which I did not know. Yeah, that's really.
Darren: There are some with GitHub registry. I mean, actually I think it's great. That's probably should be your default option, you know, if you're, one of the kind of the leg up that GitHub has is that you're already controlling you know, teams and authentication and authorization and roles and all that stuff. And so integrating GitHub registry, I mean, your Docker registry into hub, I think is a great solution. I would recommend that for most people it only just becomes more of a problem when you're like enterprise and you care about, oh, you know, where your data is stored and stuff like that. But whatever it's Microsoft they'll, you know, they'll figure out some answer there too. So I have nothing actually against it for our use case. Like there's two requirements we were looking for is can I put a custom domain on it? Which I can't really, I don't think I can do. And even though it's unlimited use for open-source projects, I think there's still actually a limit there's I don't think the bandwidth that we're pushing will actually. But we are actually, we're investing that's one of the options on our plate. Yeah, cause we still have,
Bret: I'm sorry, you were saying you don't think they get, even though GitOps claims bandwidth, unlimited bandwidth, open source, like if it was a petabyte, they might reach out. Yeah. There's still a
Darren: kind of like an abuse limit, you know? So I don't think it's actually completely, you know, unlimited cause yeah. I mean it's somewhat abusive. I which I understand the amount of bandwidth that we're doing. Yeah. Yeah,
Bret: for sure. And I think that some people, you know, and myself even made this mistake probably years ago when I didn't quite understand the difference between containers as an artifact and that concept when I was first getting started. But there's a huge difference between source code storage and get pools and get pushes and stuff. And container image, registry, storage, and container. Well, I mean like images are many factors more in general of storage and bandwidth than code. When people sometimes think , GitHub allows all this for free? Why can't all this be free? And it's like, well, it's actually quite different to store, this stuff. And that's why all these companies, like NPM had to go make an enterprise model because NPM, as a free thing is quite expensive. I'm sure. But it's, but that's still just open source code. There's not a lot of compiled binaries in there, even though I technically, I think you can do it.
Darren: Yeah. And that's why I'm, you know, it makes sense for it's like the only place I think right now you can actually get free unlimited downloads is a good. But it's they have the scale of being Microsoft and, you know, so they're easing the costs in different ways. But you know, they'll have to offset that somehow. Yeah. And
Bret: people are asking questions and talking about like auth and can't everybody just auth. And I think that the question for me that the thing is it isn't that we all can't just ought to go do pools of images. It's that until re until now none of us have had to, for anything that was public. So any open source, none of us have had to NPM off or bundle off, or any of these other things for anything other than private repos. And it's ma it's a matter of. Now everyone and every server and every CII solution and all this stuff all has to now deal with auth on a thing that we never had to deal with this. I don't think it's a matter of, no one can do it. It's just, it's a new thing,
Darren: a significant problem, because that's introducing auth where people didn't have it before is, it's, I mean, it's like our customers have, it's like if I have a thousand clusters under management or whatever, it's like, that's not a minor.
Bret: Right? Exactly. Yeah. There's lots of chances for that to go wrong. Yeah. All right. Moving on from that. What are the container technologies supported by Rancher?
Darren: All of the above. I mean, Rancher Cause it's like there are products and projects and whatnot, we go down as low as we have, like Rancher west and K3 O S, which are our operating systems. So we're looking at the kernel level. k3s and our K two, somebody had actually a question about our K two, but those are bundling and container D. So we're doing, CRI container, runtime level. We have Longhorn, which is storage. Yeah. I mean then Ranchers, Fleets get, so it's like our projects they cover most of the space. And like the only thing we don't do directly is going to be like monitoring, logging those types of things, universities like Prometheus or fluent bed. And but we still like support them. They're supported versions. You can get through Rancher and whatnot but as I introduce Rancher in the beginning, it's like, we really would like to be the, like your one-stop shop. It's like. We are your kind of gateway into the Kubernetes ecosystem and then CNCF universe. So while, we're not necessarily the one, you're not, every project is not a Rancher project, but you're going to go through Rancher to get that. Right.
Bret: Right. And all of these, maybe some, most of these are all focused around Kubernetes, right? Like the of your products are all pulling.
Darren: Yes. We're very, so like the when we announced Rancher 2.0, which I don't know, three or four years ago, I can't remember. The time was like, that was a very big shift in our company. And we went a hundred percent in on Kubernetes. So before that we were still supporting like Docker swarm and mesas and those solutions, but we went completely completely all in. And that's been a. That's been a challenge for me personally, , because Kubernetes is definitely more difficult than let's say, like what swarm was doing. But that's where things like k3s S came from was like our attempts at trying to make this easier for people it's like the kind of running at k3s cluster is really no different than running a swarm cluster these days. It's pretty it's about that easy. Now deploying your apps on Kubernetes is still harder than let's say, like swarm, but but we're, hopefully these things will get solved over time
Bret: yeah. Yeah. Now that Swarm's continuing his continuing support will ranch or beginning support
Darren: back? No, absolutely. No. We have zero interest in swarm, unfortunately. I'm sure you have a good amount of swarm fans in your, and your audience. And I was always a fan of swarm and the simplicity and what they did, but we don't really view it as strategic in any way. So I actually, I wasn't even quite sure. So I'm assuming that means that Mirantis said they're going to continue to see who said they're supporting swarm. Yeah.
Bret: Mirantis yeah. Yeah. And for those of you watching, if you're a swim swimmer fan or swarm fan or interested in swarm just go back, let me say this a thousand times a day, bret.Live, go back in the show list. And earlier this year we had a whole swarm show. We talked about 2020 updates, but essentially Mirantis right out of the gate said, we're going to give it two years of enterprise support. Cause you know, if they bought 700 Docker enterprise customers, essentially when they bought the majority of company and on, as far as I know, close to 90% of those were all running. Swarm, As their primary yeah. Orchestrator, they could, they also might've been running Kubernetes, but they were also running swarms. So swarm is a prime, most of their customers. And so Mirantis I think was doing that to sort of calm the fears right. Of the whole, purchasing the customers bailing. Cause they're worried. But since then they have continually restated. Oh no. We're adding now we're going to add CSI support. We're going to add jobs. Jobs is already up in upstream Moby, but the release cycle and feature set is still very slow. It's not like there's a team of 20, as far as I know, it's still like a person and a half. That's the developer team on swarm. It's not going to any, in any way k3s up or ever be the thing that Kubernetes is. Right. So
Darren: yeah. So the thing was swarm is yeah we had an orchestrator called cattle that was in ranch one, which was a very simple and people were very successful and the people who used it really liked it. And when we came on with Rancher two, which was all Kubernetes, it was just nowhere near the same simplicity. And it was painful. It was like, it made me sad of like, well, we had delivered this thing that was so easy to use before. And now we've made Kubernetes easier to administrate, but using it is still hard. Um, But I do honestly believe it was it's the right move for like our users, our customers yeah, the stuff is a little harder to use, but the ecosystem is incredible around Kubernetes. And it's just hard to deny that. And I don't, if you continue with swarm, just make sure you have a good exit strategy because it's I mean, it's, there's just, no, there's no ecosystem there. Yeah yeah. I would, I was just to say for the Kubernetes, if you want a really simple solution of , how do I just basically deploy applications Rio plus k3s Rio is a project from ranch or whatever, real plus k3s is a super, super easy way to run containers in production. Rio is a layer that we add on top of it, which is going to give you automatic certificates and load balancing and Canary deployments. It will pull apps directly from Git, it does some auto scaling. So if you're really looking for that, just very simple, you know, almost closer to a Heroku, like, experience, but you're running it yourself. That's what Rio is.
Bret: Yeah, you could run Rio without Rancher and just run it on K3.
Darren: Yeah. Yeah. You can just, you just spin up. Cause Rio's, it's just a Kubernetes project. So you can just launch k3s K S was really a no brainer to run. And then run Rio on top of that, Rio is just a CLI it will basically install and deploy itself and you can hook up your apps from GitHub and then we'll deploy and run applications and they'll scale and you get a routing. There's a load balancing and a real is a pretty fun little project.
Bret: Yeah. Yeah. I, my answer to students and a lot of my consulting clients, it's like, if you haven't made an orchestrator choice, now you probably should choose Kubernetes by day. When people go through my courses, the way that they're introduced to Docker, Compose, and then registry and like some things like that and hub, and they go through those basics and then to wet their lips on what orchestration is, because it's already built in a Docker, they learned swarm a little bit and there was a couple of hours of stuff in there. Yeah. And then for a lot of people, they just stopped there and it's good enough for them. And that's great. I still actually run my own website on swarm because it still works. And my website is just a website and it has a couple of things. I think a let's encrypt proxy in front of it, or I'm sorry. A traffic proxy running less encrypt in front of it. And then a storage driver from an old project that doesn't even exist anymore, really for REX-Ray, I think. And, but that works for me and I haven't changed it in like three years. But if I did it all again today, I would probably, you know, if I needed to run three or four websites and I just wanted, I had some nodes on DigitalOcean or something, I just wanted to have a little hobby. I might do K 3s or Rio. I does Rio run on top of, I mean, it's just a requires a Kubernetes communities. Yeah. And Kubernetes. Yeah. So
Darren: like even like DigitalOcean or yeah. If you run real on top of digital ocean, that's like, that's a pretty sweet setup. Because digital ocean is a no brainer to spin up a cluster. Yeah. The biggest problem I see in the ecosystem right now is this gap between basically Docker, Compose and Kubernetes is that there's just not a good path forward because Docker Compose is so good. It's like, it just doesn't get enough credit for what it's done. And it's this great tool for people to understand containers and spin up environments and stuff. But there's like, I know Docker has some solutions, but they really haven't been adopted much of, running compose and production because it's a super hard problem because this is a space. I mean, I've worked with a lot of like, compose is great for developers. It's not great for operations. It's not great for enterprise. So how do you bridge that gap? And this is something I've looked a lot at Rio was our first attempt at trying to bridge that gap. I don't think we actually succeeded there. We are actively working on kind of a Rio to where we're trying to address this, this major gap that I think exists.
Bret: Yeah. Yeah. Especially when it comes to. You go from 200 lines of composed to 2000 lines of manifest and just to do essentially, well, that's the same thing. You get more bells and whistles and you probably, you've got more stuff going on there, but yeah, like you throw in that ops responsibilities and suddenly, you have all, thousands of lines or something instead of and, you've separated it from one big compose file to small little manifests,
Darren: but it's the separation of concerns of like composed gives you like, oh, I can assemble my application and it makes sense for the developer. But then how do you add all the production bits? Cause like, that's what Kubernetes, like all those bells and whistles are all for production and it's like a developer doesn't care about that at all. And they shouldn't, it's like, it's a bunch of details that are just annoying. Right. And so it's like, how do you keep that simplicity, but then create like effectively an artifact that you can move forward. And yeah. Yeah. I mean, I really hope. Next year when we do our annual talk, I'll be talking about how we've addressed this problem. This is something that bugs me a lot, I wish.
Bret: Yeah. And it's definitely like the next frontier, I think. And it also is challenging because it gets lost in the messaging of people are learning containers, learning Kubernetes. And then this is the kind of problem they have once they're ready to go production. And then they fall off this cliff of it's reasonably easy for a developer and they'll suddenly holy crap. And that cliff is a rough one. And we struggled the same way in the training world too, because we're trying to figure how to train people on these things. It's like, okay, well, I'm going to teach you about this, but before you know this, you got to know this. And before you know this, you got to know this. And now even now you need to know 10 things just to get your app into production.
Darren: Yeah. And it's even more complicated in enterprise because what's happening is the it team is like, okay, Kubernetes is the answer. So they come up with their Kubernetes strategy and they have, they're like, okay, now I have Kubernetes. And now I'm going to give it to my development team. And then it's like, the development team is like, How do I use that? And then people end up building all these custom paths and layers on top of it. So it's like you have problems coming from both sides of , people start with Docker Compose and they understand containers. They don't know how to run it in production. And then in an enterprise it's like, well, yeah, we already decided to Kubernetes, and now we're forcing that on you and yeah. Have fun with that, as much as Docker was all about the developer, it was like all about the developer, like empowering the developer, Kubernetes, unfortunately is all about core. IT It's like, that's why it's been so successful is that enterprise has adopted it and it's to a certain degree Yeah. I don't think it's been very good for the developer to a certain degree. Right. It's like kind of it's pushed the it's yeah. It, it put the ball back in its court, you know, control developers before were like, I want Docker and I'm so much more agile with it and they're pushing it. And then they're like, wait, hold on, give me two years Kubernetes. Now you deal with it. So yeah,
, Bret: I'm a huge compose fan and every one of my consulting clients, I almost insist that we actually like that's the first part of the project is we compose this thing. And it usually ends up with developer happiness, and then we start talking and then it's a completely different conversation to talk about server clusters and Kubernetes and shifting the manifest. And the only thing I haven't been able to come up with is watching over and over again, multiple times a year with these projects, like seeing the ebb and flow of that is , if there was only something in helm or whatever that basically the developer gives it's composed file. It doesn't necessarily do a translation. Cause we've got those converters, but like basically what if it takes that compose and then it applies like the commission controllers the ingress, all the other things exactly. On top of it, not changing it, you know, it's like, yeah. I'll tell
Darren: you exactly the project that we're working on. Cause this is pretty much what you said is that we spun it out of Rio. It's something where it's called Dolly right now. It's kinda hard to find because it's in one of our developers repos but. Is that we're specifically trying to do that where it's like, what if I take a composed file and effectively turn it into a helm chart. So it's like, I can do the live development. I can do Docker Compose up. I can, develop my application. I get all the cool flow of Docker Compose, basically. But then when it goes to deploy, I can basically turn that into a helm chart, but turning into a helm chart, I also then need that layer that you're talking about of like, how do I inject my production that's in, like, how do I add my Istio configuration and my OPA, it's like all the stuff that you're you need to be compliant for your organization or whatever. What we saw was that like with Rio specifically as real has a runtime aspect to it, and the downside of Rio was developers, like Rio. Like it resonates with them and they like it, but they can't convince the core. It, the people running Kubernetes. You need to run the runtime of Rio, , because they have to get the operations team to buy into it. And then they're like, oh, well, what is this? Cause Rio comes with a service mesh built into it. And so they're like, oh, it's STO. And like, now, then you'd know Istio and all this other stuff, or it's Linkerd linker, it's Linkerd by default, I'm big Linkerd fan. But but yeah, so it's like, basically, it's like, how do you create from the developer side and interface the developers, like, but that can turn into a, basically a standard artifact that then can be handed over the wall to operations. As much as dev ops are supposed to be together, but like, it is still in, so it's like, how do you think create a standard artifact that can move forward? And then people who are like, I understand Kubernetes and I don't care about your developer world. They know how to deal with it. And so that's like the solutions like that, that we're looking at right now. So anyways,
Bret: yeah. L a helm and some other bits to help with that
Darren: help. How does one of my favorite projects to to hate these days? But I love, yeah. I mean, helm is is become like Fleet. If you look at Fleet, internally, Fleet is actually built on top of helm. Even though you don't have to author helm charts what we do is we actually, when we get pick up the manifest from get, we dynamically, turn them into a chart and then use home to deploy them. So when you look at your cluster, everything is defined as a helm release. So you have like good auditing, you know what everything is. There's a lot of advantages of putting things into a helm chart, like the downside of helm and what everyone always complains about is the template thing and offering the charts. And then there's complexities around CRDs and whatnot, but those are all misdirected. Anger. Yeah.
Bret: Well, and that's the thing, right? Like when you do what you just mentioned, right? So like a developer learning Docker is one thing. And then learning the composed format and then they're like, okay, cool. But then to get it into production, if you're expecting that same developer or the team is to like 90 learn to manifest, oh, now you need to learn how I'm charting or customize or whatever. And it's just it's an exhausting a little bit, like there's very few people that I know that can be a good developer and then also try to manage all these other things. So I think it's totally legitimate to say that let's keep those ops focused things in ops. And it's not that we can't share in it. This is all infrastructure as code. Then everyone should be able to see this stuff. But it's definitely a hard area that I think we're going to be seeing more and more people trying to deal with. Hopefully, I mean, at some point it's gonna have to be added to my courses because as the community grows and my students mature, they're all having to deal with these issues too. And I'm gonna have to come up with something and that's been the problem too, with Kubernetes. It's like, you make a course that people want me to make a service mesh course. I'm like, okay. Which one? , I can't do a service mesh course on all of them. And I can't do a CI course on all the CIs
Darren: like, well, the service mesh is just as complicated as Kubernetes if you're going to go with Istio. But yeah. So yeah. Oh I, you the last one anyway. Anyways, keep going. Oh,
Bret: okay. That's okay. We'll come back to it. I'm going to, I'm going to do some rapid fire. See if we can't k3s up on some of the questions . . RKE2
Darren: so that's a savvy user who knows about RKE2. Cause that's not something we've in 2.5. We announced something called RKE government. I think it's what it's called. And, but it's technically it's RKE to in preview, but we've tailored it specifically for the government sector who has like higher security requirements. But what RKE is, is the next version of RKE that will be coming out. Like it'll be more fully supported in our next version of Rancher. What would be like a 2.6? And it's really exciting because what we've done with RKE2 is we've built. We've revamped. RKE on the same. It's almost like the same platform is k3s it acts and behaves a lot, like k3s it's just as simple to interact with as k3s but instead of choosing a bunch of kind of lightweight, embedded options that k3s does RKE comes with like your full integrate enterprise grade fatness. It doesn't use any embedded components everything's ran separately. But it's super easy to get up and running. It's really easy to administer so I'm really excited about that project. And , it's consolidating our approaches down to it's like, if it's going to be, you know, basically RKE can run cloud data center, that's where we, and then k3s has edge. But no matter where you run, we basically have the same approach. So it's RKE2 and k3s. Uh, Be the same approach in how you interact with it, but they have different capabilities in terms of, more tailored to the environment where they're running.
Bret: Yeah. Okay. Next one is next level of Rancher academy course coming. I enjoyed the L one operator one.
Darren: So the training, we I don't know when we launched this. I mean, it's relatively new. I think it's like maybe in the last six months. But it's been a huge success. I mean, a lot of people signed up, have gone through this training, really enjoyed it, I really, you know, it's funny. When it comes to training, w we w we said, Hey, we're going to start doing like certification or whatever in internally, I kinda like barfed on the idea. And because I'm not like I'm not a big fan of , certification but the reason why. The thing that's great about this is it's not so much about like the certification of getting a paper. Like, I don't think that proves anything it's about learning the content or whatever, because if somebody asks, this was like a Twitter, I think it was maybe there was on Twitter. We were discussing this of like, well, what's the value of like getting the CNCF certification for, Kubernetes? I think it's called CK a, is that what it is? So in my answer was like, we actually have seen a lot of value in the certification for it's your way to like, you've got a competent employee, a smart person, they don't necessarily know a lot about KU Kubernetes. It's just a quick start for them to understand and learn everything about Kubernetes. And so that's what this is like, if this is not about getting certified, like, like, you know, that paper means something or whatever it's about teaching you the content. And you can have your people. Your team members can just go through this. And so it's been very successful. So when this level two coming, I can't say direct, like, I don't know. I know that they've gotta be they're working on it because it's been very successful. So they're going to be adding more content to that, but the exact schedule, I don't know, but I'm glad you enjoyed
Bret: it. Yeah. Thanks, David. And for those of you that haven't heard about this so there's a link in the chat. So the way that this works, cause it's this isn't like this isn't Docker mastery, right? Those of you that are students. So this expects you to know Docker and Kubernetes first. So my recommendation is if you're interested in Rancher and I definitely recommend that you check it out, cause it's one of those things that you should know. If you're going to do Kubernetes, right, you probably need to learn a couple of distros at least. And this is definitely the, one of the ones I would recommend. So do the Docker mastery course from me and then do the duke Kubernetes mastery course from me. So those will get you the fundamentals and then you're going to learn a distribution. And this is a. I've checked it out. I've actually watched some of the videos and I would recommend this. This is great. While we're there look up Adrian's channel
Music Intro: should have this link somewhere.
Bret: Oh, I'm not signed in. That's why it's not finding, it's not funding it because it's like, who are you? I'm showing you container ships. Oh, I'll find it later. I'll put it in the, I'll put it in the notes anyway. No, why he's not showing up on my end. Let's go back to the
Music Intro: questions.
Bret: Longhorn CLI another insider. When can we expect to see the Longhorn CLI
Music Intro: oh,
Darren: I get it. So the direction of Longhorn has been, I mean, cause there is technically a Longhorn CLI, but this CLI interacts with the engine, which is not what most people want. So the direction of we Longhorn has really been to try to just make it a first-class really good Kubernetes solution. So like a storage class. We don't have, I'm not aware that like the CLI is like specifically, like we have. A date or a plan or whatever to deliver a first-class CLI. So I can't, yeah, I don't have a great answer there, but I think it's a worthwhile thing to to do. We are scaling up that team. As Longhorn is now I think we said it was GA, but it's officially supported like through Rancher and so we have customers and stuff on it. And we're continuing to expand in that space as the more people are willing to put persistent workloads and they find kind of use cases where Longhorn makes sense. But yeah, not a great answer for that one.
Bret: Right. That's okay. All right, so I have the URL we should go check out Adrian's channel if you've ever watched any of those Kubernetes videos. . Let me just, this is another channel you should watch. In fact you just had one, two days ago. He's like, oh, live almost every day. And
Darren: yeah, he works. He does it every morning. Maybe. I don't know.
Bret: Yeah. It seems like that. But if you like this channel, you should definitely check out his channel. I put that the link in chat he's he's talking about all this Rancher stuff and all just cloud native containers, all that stuff. That's great.
Darren: Yeah. He's got a site. It's a cncn.io. His main site of, all of his content and what's going on with what Adrian's up to. Yeah, it's some pretty impressive content. I don't know where he finds all these to be perfectly honest.
Bret: Yeah. He's good stuff. And so the, sorry, if people didn't correlate that he is in the videos of the Kubernetes training. So if you do that, I'm sorry of the Rancher training. So if you do the Rancher academy, you will be seeing his face. Yeah. All right. K3 is where we talked about K3s and turning PI.
Darren: Oh the, yeah. Turing PI announced that they just announced the the CM4 compute module four. They're going to be releasing that next year. That's a cool, that's a cool platform. I personally, I don't have one. I haven't played with them. Alex Ellis is really the one to follow for all of your raspberry PI Kubernetes stuff. He's got some great projects, like, k3s up it's k3s up that makes it really easy to deploy Kubernetes on, on, on these like clusters and stuff. So here's what really the one to follow if you want to, more know about that stuff or, yeah. So yeah, I'm excited for the new one. I'll probably end up buying the new one. That's built on the cm four.
Bret: Yeah. Yeah. This is a, this is the repo. Alex Ellis has actually been on the show. I think he was on earlier this year is a friend of mine and he, all of his stuff is great. Yeah. And he's always looking for people to help out with the open source. So like if you're wanting to get into open source and actually commit some code, we're still in the month of code for digital ocean, by the way, for the, like the hackathon, the Hacktoberfest , I've been talking about that all month long. So he's always looking for people to put in some PRS and all of his projects are really great. He also is really good at making great CLS for the tools. So making them easy, very similar to Docker experience
Darren: open FAS is his project to, or, I mean, he was a creator of open FAS. I mean, there's a good community around open FAS. And
Bret: yeah, he's worked hard at it for years and I respect the effort cause he's got a lot of hustle.
Darren: Yes. It
Bret: takes a lot of hustle to make open source
Darren: projects, success, not easy to do what he's doing.
Bret: Yeah. I'm a question on any good public registry for helm charts, similar to Docker. I do know that there's a discussion around registries being able to store a and they do already these Docker is experimented with this on storing, like composed files helm charts, other stuff. Yeah.
Darren: Yeah. So that's like the OCI artifacts work that's going on. Because like, when you look at the Docker registry, it's really just a, it's just a content store. It's a content addressable store. And so you can put anything in there and in fact you can today, that's all problem that Docker hub has is people storing movies on there, in there? Docker. Yeah. Yeah, of course. People, if you can store it, people abuse it. Yeah. But oh, what was actual question and that?
Bret: No, that's okay. Public registry for chart.
Darren: Yeah, so there's two of them that I know, so there's some work from like the CNCF they're doing like well, that's more of like an aggregator for things. So there's like artifact hub that CNCF is doing. But then I can't remember what it's called, but Jay frog just put out one where it's like, I dunno, I wish I could remember, but so J frog has one more. They're aggregating all the content or whatever, but I'll tell you, this is a major problem in my mind that even if you aggregated all the helm charts, the majority of the helm charts out there are not good. And so the qual, like this is one of the biggest problems with helm today is the quality of the charts is very poor. And this is where something at Rancher we're investing a lot in is like, today. You have some upstream, let's say Linux software, but then that gets repackaged by distribution like Ubuntu. And then you can eat very easily, install it in Ubuntu and they maintain like that package and make sure it's easy. And it's integrated with other things that doesn't really exist today for help. And so we're trying to go down that route with Rancher right now of how can we start maintaining a set of helm charts that are based off of the upstream, but we they're well curated in that like, cause like every chart today wants to install Prometheus for example. But how do we make it? So every chart we can, like, basically use the Prometheus chart that we also support or whatever. And so that was one of the things that we actually we've started. This effort with Rancher Tuto five is starting to figure out how we can curate a set of charts. Just so these things easily installed. Like you can install and upgrade them. That's like the biggest things. So yeah, so that's, I think a gap in the ecosystem right now. And I honestly think like people's view of what a Kubernetes distribution is today is really like, you just get Kubernetes, but there's really no reason that like a Kubernetes, like, like there's room for a distribution to very similar, like to what Linux distribution is really a Colonel and a set of user space packages. While we say, this situation is a little different where we're saying, well, Kubernetes is the kernel and you can get that anywhere, but you need like a distribution of the userspace stuff, all the CNCF projects. So this is an effort we're investing in on the Rancher side of, you know, how do we create a kind of curated set of like all the CNCF projects? So they just easily install and you can get charts that you just, you don't have to be an expert to use them.
Bret: Yeah. I just now realized while you were, I was looking at this while you were talking that the Helm Hub. A repo actually redirects over to artifacthub.io. So that is the same thing. And I know about operator hub, which is not technically helm specific, but that's where I ended up searching for things. Sometimes when people are held sorts, eventually leaned into a operator style. So yeah, I don't know how much
Darren: of this yeah. Operator hub is a weird thing. It's hard. I don't know. I've done some other blogs or blogs and articles and these interviews about operators and the complexity of that kind of paradigm or marketing term. So I'm not personally a big fan of hop operator hub.
Bret: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, yeah, just because it's on there doesn't mean that it's quality, right. Like that's true of anything in the internet yeah. Is there a convenient way to install Rancher on existing k3s hub cluster, sorry. Is there a convenient way to install Rancher on an existing k3s cluster?
Darren: Yeah, so th the simplest, so the simplest way to get going with Rancher is I always just throw people to our GitHub page, cause it has like direct links into the docs of what to install. So Rancher there's two ways to install Rancher. One is you can do a Docker container. That's a very simple The, you know, I have nothing but Docker, but that gives you like, not a production grade thing. So it's not really the best the other is installed as a helm chart. And the helm chart is fairly straightforward. You need to read the docs. But the docs are quite good that we have out there because you need to understand the TLS, you know, what options you want to do for TLS but so if you have a k3s cluster and you want to solve Rancher, then it's really just installing that to helm chart. So you're going to download the helm CLI and then run home.
Bret: Yeah. And I'm trying to think about is k3s up Alex. I feel like Alex has a utility that basically does CLI like an easy way to deploy helm charts.
Darren: Yeah, so there's well it started from k3s up and then it moved into another its own project called arkade. So I don't know if k3s up, I don't know if k3s up still does it, I don't really know, but like, but so there's another project called arkade, which is basically a wrapper around helm charts and it makes it really easy to install a bunch of projects. So check out arkade. That's a great way to install a bunch of apps. Yeah. Our arkade with a K
Bret: yeah. I'm glad you remembered that. It's like an easy CLI for deploying popular things essentially that are repeatable comment, not question. Thank you for providing specific detailed instructions for air gapped. Installs a us without internet access are often forgotten and ignored
Darren: thanks. Thanks. That means a lot because we put a lot of effort into air gap. I mean, yeah it's yeah. A lot of people do not pay attention to how to address that. And it's not actually that easy. Oh yeah.
Bret: Yeah. Documentation is hard. And you also there's this effect and I don't know if there's is this natural effect that once you've read and written enough documentation, it's hard for you to understand where the gaps are, unless you have a way, an easy way for people to constantly point out like thumbs up, thumbs down buttons like they have in the Docker docs. Don't really help them. Without the context of like, what is this missing? What are we needing here? And everybody wants to put in a GitHub issue for docs or whatever. So it's, I think it's always a challenge. , what do you think about distroless images? Is it okay to use them as long as Kubernetes SIG released suspended, the kubctl, debug feature.
Darren: Wow. Suspended. What does that mean? Cause I'm looking forward to the kubectl debug thing, getting more leverage, but I mean, there were some hitch in there. Maybe
Bret: not in one 20, maybe that's what they're, maybe they're post-marketing again.
Darren: Yeah. For people that are, that don't know the, what the debug feature is, it's really quite cool. For an existing pod, you can spin up a sidecar to run a pot or a container in that existing pod. And so if you had something like distroless, which has no shell, it has no, you can't exec into that. Yeah. With the debug, you could spin up like a tools container and then run some, some debugging things there. I think district list is a great way to go. Yeah. I, the maintaining, like the CV scanning and all that stuff is is really just a pain. So the less you can have in the container the better. So I think a district list is a great approach. Scratch, if you can do it, if you're doing that, I find basically the only people successful with scratch images go developers right. No,
Bret: it's been a lot of C plus developers yet in, in container land. So it's mostly go people that are doing the aesthetic binaries. Right. But I love a netshoot so for those of you thinking about this district list thing, so distroless is going to help you make your apps in a smaller container image, but it's not for day one. So that's why it's not even taught in my courses yet, because it's typically a maturity thing. Like you've got to, you've got to get good at just troubleshooting containers with all the stuff in them, including shells before you take the next step of trying to remove a lot of that unnecessary stuff, unnecessary, meaning that it's your app doesn't need it. And that's the challenge is that a lot of this stuff requires you to iterative approach to your learning, as well as your deployment. So most of the customers, in fact, none of the customers I've ever worked with over the last five years on day, one of deploying things into production have ever done like a scratch or a distroless image because they're ops people, they're troubleshooting people. Everyone needs to learn how these things work, right. Approaches those lean approaches to these things make it even harder. So yeah, the debug command is exciting. The ephemeral image idea. I have this thing I love Nicholas is a netshoot repo. He's got a great network troubleshooting utility. It's basically just the hodgepodge of all the Linux utilities for troubleshooting distributed systems. I recommend and use that a lot. So that would be my go-to once this debug command works now.
Darren: Yeah. And I think you make some excellent points on, you should call it. It's like distroless is very advanced. Yeah. I mean, honestly the majority, the vast majority is going to be, Ubuntu or like red hat based.
Bret: Right, right. All right. So we've got this, these questions answered or we're running over people get some great questions today, but there's a lot of Darren brings in the question. When do you plan to fully utilize the new UI and Rancher GA?
Darren: Yeah. Yeah. So that's so Rancher 2.5. Well, we actually introduced like, as a experimental feature in two, four to five is so there's like two, five right now is a. Split between we have an old UI and a new UI. And so basically the next release of Rancher is going to complete the new UI. So we should, you should be able to accomplish all of the, everything in the new UI then, but we will not get rid of the old UI probably for another release after that. So that's the plan right now that new UI that we put in there is very ambitious. There's a lot of work and we're honestly, we're still refining the user experience, getting it it's a balance between trying to get a lot of power and flexibility of what Kubernetes provides, but making it easier. And we're still actively working on a lot of the things there. The next release, you should which we've a lot of six months. Of when we do like the major releases. So you're looking at like, basically another six months before that UI will be done. And then a year before we delete the old one.
Bret: Okay. Will KubeVirt becoming to the RKE line.
Darren: Well, I mean, so KubeVirt had already works with, I don't think there's any problem with running KubeVirt with RKE. We are doing some specific things. You'll see some announcements from us around KubeVirt. So we are working on some projects specifically in the KubeVirt space. But those are not really quite ready for prime time, what we're doing there. But but that use case of, basically running VMs There's still, a good market or, where I see the KubeVirt playing is like, in the OpenStack space where OpenStack was trying to go after KubeVirt is a replacement for OpenStack. And it's it could possibly be a replacement even for VMware, if you're simplifying your infrastructure,
Bret: yeah. Again, advanced, right? , you definitely want to be a well oiled Kubernetes team before you start layering all this stuff on top, right? Yeah. Does Rancher provide enterprise support for k3s? Curious to know,
Darren: Yeah. Yeah, we do. I mean, that's the short answer.
Bret: Easy answer. Can we run KubeVirt on top of k3s
Darren: yeah, it should work. I don't see any problem there. It's still just a, still Kubernetes. As long as you have, VTX support on your. Yeah. Hm.
Bret: Does it make sense to use k3s for normal servers instead of RKE if yes. Why do you need, what do I need? RKE
Darren: so K3 has just optimizes more for a smaller scale setups. So there's a lot of people who use k3s basically for everything. There's really not a lot of downsides, except for the fact that it is not have great cloud provider integration. You're going to have to roll that yourself by bringing an out of tree cloud provider. So that's where it gets a little more tricky, but at this point you can find a lot of information on the internet already of like adding a cloud provider to two k3s like digital ocean or AWS or something. So it's really, it's just the components and stuff we choose. They're great for the user, but sometimes for like, I don't know, like like enterprise needs and whatnot, they want things to be separate. So I'll tell you, we, we run all of our production Kubernetes instances on k3s because they're very easy to deploy and orchestrate k3s can actually scale massively far. We scaled it to like 5,000 nodes whenever the max Kubernetes is. Yeah. So you can get pretty far with it.
. Bret: Okay. Can I orchestrate Longhorn with Rook.
Darren: No, I don't think there's any integration there. Yeah. No, we haven't really worked on that because it's Longhorn itself is quite easy to run. It's just basically a helm chart. And then once it's running, you just interact with it as a storage class or there's a GUI for it too. You can just point click. So that really provides for us. Yeah.
Bret: This is a can of worms, but maybe we can make it quick. Do you have opinions on cluster API?
Darren: Holy crap. It is an important thing. I believe that is the future. I have been actively, it's every, about every three months, I try to use cluster API and try to figure out what's the strategy for Rancher to move to cluster API. And it's a slow, painful process, but we are getting there. It's a very tricky thing because the value of the interface of cluster API is very high level and it doesn't do much besides just define a cluster. And then all the options are opaque of like how, what are the options of how to spin up an actual cluster? So then all the options become pro the provider dependent and they're specific to the EKS or UKs or whatever. It all comes down to the maturity of the actual drivers and the problem with the cluster API historically, and this has changed, but the problem with it historically is they focused completely on a VM based model where they were only spinning up VMs and then orchestrating the VMs. So there was no integration with say EKS or GKE, and those are the primary ways that people, I think people should be running Kubernetes in clouds. So there was, there's just always been this practical thing of the actual value you're getting out of the framework, but the idea makes sense. And so we're committed to cluster API. It is very slow going. It's like, that project's been around for probably four years now. And so yeah, it will slowly evolve once, you know, VMware is the one who's pushing it and very heavily once VMWare started investing in sort of picking up pace and because VMware is dedicated to making cluster API their solution. , I mean, they want that to work for their products or whatever. And yeah, so it's like Fleet, for example, has nice integration with cluster API. So if you spin up clusters with cluster API, that can be automatically registered with Fleet. And yeah, so it's this ongoing thing, but it's really messy,
Bret: right? There's a lot of stuff going on now, interactions and stuff going on there. Yeah. So it's it. I mean, a lot of these tools, the goal is to make the complex look simple, but it doesn't mean that it's not complex anymore to build more integrations and things.
Darren: And , we've been doing this like provisioning clusters and whatever for so long that there's. It's like cluster API is, it's two years behind with what we're doing, but someone's like, we want to move to a community standard thing, but then the maturity of what we're doing is so far beyond what cluster API is. And it's how to balance that, you can always say like, oh, well you should just contribute everything to that. And it's like, well, no, because it's, there's an idealistic side to the way cluster API works, where it's purely declarative and it, doesn't, there's a lot of things where it's like, well, no, once you get into the real world, people actually want to behave slightly different and that doesn't, it's not compatible with it. So there's, yeah it's been a thing, but we're committed and trying to figure that out. It's just going to take I don't see it being feasible for at least another year.
Bret: Right. Okay. . And another one he Leon's asking me, I think how does someone work through your courses to begin, or maybe your course on to being ready to deploy their first production app? How do I know what steps to take, but I'm afraid there are production things. I don't know that I don't know. Well, there are the knowns, the unknown, the known unknowns and the unknown unknowns, or however that works. So I don't have an easy answer for you. The biggest, I mean, this is always a challenge with training is that training, that the closer you get to real world training, like 200 level and 300 level training, the harder and more niche that training gets to create and take. So most of us are living in the space of T of giving courses that are sort of introduction courses, maybe a few intermediate courses, just because you're I don't work on any one company project for deploying containers. That's the same. They're all using different CIS they're all using different server. Different ways of creating VMs, they might be cloud or data center. Just to even get you close to that and it depends on your role, right? Like, are you an operator or are you just a developer or are you responsible for everything that relates to container? Cause now that means monitoring logging security. Like there's a ton, that's like eight courses of things that you'd have to take. It's probably 200 hours of video. So I don't, my answer is, . I don't know. I don't know if Darren
Darren: good, honest
Bret: answer. That's the consulting answer is, was first. And then the honest answer, sorry, I don't know. Rancher in Rancher. I don't know if that was a serious question.
Darren: No. Well, ironically this is something it's not quite supported yet, but we'll know we Rancher and Rancher is actually possible, but Rancher managing Rancher, managing Rancher instances is actually going to be an officially supported thing. Not in this really not in 2.5, but in a, in the next one. Because there's actually people doing this, that they have some use case where yeah, it's, this is getting very advanced. This is for very large organizations and things where it's like, they have a ranch, for instance, was then managed. It's more Ranchers, but yeah, it's crazy. But yeah, it's actually weird
Bret: What is Rancher OS I think we're coming to the end here cause we got a roll, but what does Rancher or is it like another Linux?
Darren: We didn't talk about it. Yeah. So Rancher OS that was released a very long time ago in container years. And that was it was a very aggressive, experimental thing of running. Absolutely everything in the us in containers. So every single component is in containers. Over time, that technical aspect of it became not all that interesting. It is what people like Rancher OS for is a very simple distribution to just spin up and run a container. It has like a, it has support for cloud in it that has like a compose ish format built into it. So you can just define, these are the containers I run. So Rancher OS is a container optimized or oriented Linux distribution. We have K3 O S, which is a more Kubernetes oriented one. There's a question just came in right now with like any updates on K3 O S is that so if you've noticed the news over the last couple of months, we were recently acquired by Susa. That's not quite done yet, so I can't speak to a lot of the, like, we're still in the process of that merger, but you can definitely expect once that merger is done, you can expect some updates on what we're doing in the us space. So something I'm very excited about, but cannot talk about.
Bret: Right. Okay. So stay tuned. And so the answer to Kevin is yes, but no. Yes,
Darren: exactly.
Bret: Yes. But later. And we got some new questions coming in, but I'm going to cut it off at this final question of what do you do in your free time? k3s develop.
Darren: Yeah. So work is all consuming. Like it is quite consuming for me on the other side of the fence I have five children and yeah, so I have no free time. I have no hobbies. I don't do anything except for, family things or work. So yeah, I'm actually, yeah, that's pretty boring in that. I basically pretty obsessed with work and then do stuff with like, yeah,
Bret: well, kids are not boring even on boring days. So I would say that your hobby is family, which in
Darren: COVID days is
Bret: yeah. COVID days. That's a lot of us, right. Is more time with family and more time in the same house. Yeah.
Darren: Maybe spend a little bit too much time with family.
Bret: Yeah. My wife was traveling this week. And I had, I was in the house alone with the puppy for four days. And it was the strangest feeling. I haven't had that in almost a year of being alone for four days. And so I dunno, there's pros, there's cons. You know, I ate poorly. I don't know why I stayed up too late. I don't know what else, not sure what else negative things happened, but yeah, that was the change of my patterns. All right, well, I know we ran way longer than normal, but I thank you so much for being here. We were killing it on the questions. We had 2100 playbacks already on YouTube. The we were up to like 150 people's concurrently on the channel. So I think you broke the internet on my YouTube channels. So good job on that. That's a new record. I think 150 concurrent is the peak I've ever been at. People love Rancher and want to hear more about Rancher products. And that's great because a lot of, yeah, a lot of us in the open source and the container space had been fans of you guys since the beginning. So it's great that you're still doing great work and putting out new tools and always have things to talk about. All right. You can find out more of us on the, I built the cloud and the Bret Fisher. These are their little Twitter handles. So go to Twitter. We're both active there. We both answer questions and talk to people on there all the time. Thanks again, everyone. We'll see you next week back here on YouTube live and thanks. See you soon. I build the cloud,
Darren: correct. Thanks. Fun. Thanks so much for listening and I'll see you in the next episode.