Judith: Welcome to Berry's In the Interim podcast, where we explore the cutting edge of innovative clinical trial design for the pharmaceutical and medical industries, and so much more. Let's dive in.
Scott: All right. Welcome everybody back to In The Interim. your host, Scott Berry. Uh, I'm your co-host, Scott Berry. Uh, my, my co-host, uh, my common co-host, Kurt Veily, is back. Though Kurt, it's been a bit of a,
Kert Viele: Benny Gap. Yep, happy to be here. Happy to be here
Scott: we, we may find out, uh, if Kurt has any pet peeves for the today. But get to the topic of the day, and you know, we are somewhere in the 60-plus episodes, Kurt, and we have not done an episode on response adaptive randomization. Something that isâ¦ makes people passionate. Uh, it's controversial. Um, it's, it's a great topic for innovative trial designs. I think it's especially a great topic as the world coming, the world of clinical trials is evolving. You know, what is, what is the role of, of response adaptive randomization in it? What are our thoughts on it? Um, lots of critics of response adaptive randomization. So let's, let's get to the, to the bottom, to the top, to the sides of response adaptive randomization
Kert Viele: Sounds great
Scott: Okay. So it's a controversial topic. Let's, let's, let's, uh, start with what is response adaptive randomization? Remember, my, my, my, my wife loves to tune in on these, and she's gonna wanna make sure that everybody understands the topic. So explain to Tammy what response adaptive randomization is.
Kert Viele: All right. First off, hi, Tammy. Good to see you. Um, the, uh, so the idea behind RAR, response adaptive randomization - we'll abbreviate it from here on out - um, is essentially, uh, all adaptive trials, they do interim analyses, and they make some kind of adjustment to the trial at those interim analyses. In RAR, the adjustment that you're making is to change the allocation probabilities. And usually, what we would do is we would increase allocation to arms that are performing better. We decrease allocation to arms that are performing worse. The basic idea is to do a couple things. One is to try to treat patients better in the trial, try to get them the better-performing arms, and we hope we get some better inferences at the same time. But I know we're gonna touch on that when we get into some of the controversies because that sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't
Scott: Yeah. So e-examples of, of how this may be, and we, we've been involved in multiple trials where response adaptive randomization has been used. And so a couple of those, the, the BAN2401 trial was a trial for, of lecanemab, which is now approved for Alzheimer's disease. Their phase two trial was a placebo and five active arms of lecanemab. It was actually two frequencies and three doses. And those five arms, they, they did a hundred and ninety-six patients enrolled where it was initially fixed randomization to those, those six arms in the trial. An interim analysis took place, and a new randomization probability was set for each of the arms. in-- essentially, the control was a fixed rate. slightly different than that, but, but for all intents and purposes, the control was fixed, and the other five could vary. With the remaining probability, a new randomization vector was created. For the next period of time, patients were randomized u-using those probabilities, and then fifty patients later enrolled, a new interim was done, and this was repeated during the course of the trial. And it ended up that two of those doses, the two higher doses with the two frequencies, were the most patients explored. One of them was moved to phase three, and it, it was, uh, uh, successful in a phase three trial. goal of that phase two trial was to find the best dose. What is the best arm, and how good is that arm? And we'll come back to whether RAR is good or not, but that, that was an example of, of response-adaptive randomization being used. I'll point out one more. We'll, we'll probably talk about other trials and how they do it and the, the good and the bad of it. Uh, I'll touch on another one just because I've done two recent podcasts on it, and we are doing a podcast on the results of the ICECAP trial. It-- By the way, it's been recorded, and we're just waiting for JAMA to publish the article, and then we're gonna release the discussion of the ICECAP trial. The ICECAP trial had 10 arms. arms were the duration of hypothermic cooling for the treatment of cardiac arrest, post-cardiac arrest resuscitation. You go to the, uh, the emergency room, and they do different durations of hypothermic cooling, and the goal was to find the best duration and largely was there an increasing dose response? Largely, what is the best duration? Was the goal of that, and there were 10 arms in that trial
Kert Viele: And I-- you should also add that the, the lecanemab story, you published that article as well, so people can go back and read that and see what happened interim to interim. I thought that wasâ¦ A lot of times we don't publish that kind of information. I thought it was good that it's out there
Scott: Yeah, it's the only trial I know of that published the actual interim reports that were done at each of, I think there were 18 or 19 interim analyses, and it, it shows the quantities that were used to calculate the randomization probabilities. It shows what each one were at all the interims. You can see those reports. Fantastic. I'm trying to get the ICECAP people to publish that, and we will. We'll, we'll show each of the interims for that as well so people can follow along. Watch the movie at home, um, uh, uh, of the trial. So that gives a little bit of a flavor in just explaining response-adaptive randomization. Now, there, thereâ¦ Uh, it-- to some extent, it sounds fantastic, um, uh, as this. If I'm a patient, I feel like I would like to be in a trial that uses response-adaptive randomization just at face value. Um, they-- At, at, at the same time within this, I think there are a lot of people who are unfamiliar with clinical trials, that when I explain to them adaptive trials, they look at me I have three heads. Like, don't all trials do this? Shouldn't the r- the allocation of treatments the latter part of the trial be informed by the earlier part of the trial and what's given to them? And when you describe that, no, most of them not, um, they're surprised by that. So there's, there's that part. But there are, there are critics of it. There areâ¦ A-and, a-and I, I don't know where we fall in this, Kurt. Um, I don't necessarilyâ¦ I'm not pro-RAR, uh, as I, I don't think there's value in that. It's a tool in the trial to g- in some cases, get better answers, some cases treat patients better, but it's a tool available to us as trial designers, and it has good and bad in it. I think there-- it's fair to say there are, there are authors out there who are, against RAR and write articles. "Don't, don't fall for the RAR trick. Don't do it. It's bad." Uh, but it is quite controversial in the literature
Kert Viele: At least we're very persuasive because we, we're lay- laying out traps and we're getting people to do our, our stuff. But ironically, we don't-- how many of these do we actually do? We certainly do them. I mean, we do, you know, hundreds of trials over the years, but it's certainly not 60% of these involve RAR. It's particular cases where we've done it and particular cases where we haven't
Scott: Very much so. Um, let, so let's talk about what, what those cases. So i- if, if, um, um, what, what are the, what are the critics of RAR? What, where does this perhaps not go well?
Kert Viele: So, and well, this gets at whether, you know, we're critics of RAR for certain cases as well. So, I mean, the, the central thing, I think what you said from the patient standpoint, you know, obviously if you're enrolling late in the trial, you wanna be, "Hey, a lot of people have generated information. I wanna get the benefit of that." I would fully understand that perspective. There's a scientific aspect that the purpose of the trial is to generate information beyond the trial. If you're doing, in lecanemab, there are millions of people who are suffering from Alzheimer's that want a good and effective drug. So we wanna keep them in mind while we're also trying to help patients in the trial. One thing that happens is to get a lo-- I'm not gonna do a lot of math here at all, of course, but if you're looking at estimating a treatment effect, so the sample sizes in each of the arms matter. You're comparing control to treatment. If you can make both of those arms have bigger sample sizes, you're gonna get better estimates. You're gonna get more information. So now the question is, well, how does RAR actually do that? Well, RAR does that by increasing allocation to some arms, decreasing it to others. If you're in a two-arm trial, for example, this is the classic and a lot of the papers that are against RAR, they focus on two arms with reason to say it's problematic here. You increase the treatment allocation potentially, but you decrease the control. And this gets into kind of a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation. You can actually decreaseâ¦ You, you estimate treatment effects worse in two-arm RAR s- than you would in doing a fixed trial. So a lot of people have noted this. There's a problem. Two-arm trials, we don't do RAR very often. In this case, I think it's a really specialized issue. All that's gonna be turned on its head in a multiple-arm setting, uh, and I think we'll get to that in a minute. But two arms is a very-- If you read the literature, two arms is a very, very, very controversial case, and I think we agree with the, the limitations there
Scott: So, so a lot of critics of RAR will point out that in a two-arm trial, uh, moving away from one-to-one, reduces your power. It reduces your, uh, uh, i- inferences, your inferences about the, the difference between them. Now, there are some odd cases where, uh, it might be good to reduce one, the variability's different in the two arms and, and, and all of that. But largely, you reduce power in that. And then they make a sweeping argument that so you should never do RAR
Kert Viele: Yeah, so that's my pet peeve. You wanted a pet peeve. This is-- My, my pet peeve is how overgeneralized the RAR literature is. Uh, uh, RAR, it's a lot of different methods. You can do it a lot of different ways. You can do it in a lot of different cases. A lot of papers are written, "I'm gonna explore this version of RAR in this setting, but I'm gonna generalize it to everything," and that just doesn't serve us well
Scott: And they say, "Look, this method doesn't work here. RAR doesn't work," and they generalize it to every possible RAR cases of that.
Kert Viele: So
Scott: Okay, so in-- So you talked about the two-arm case, the two, the two-arm setting, and so that would be a specialized scenario where the goal isn't entirely treatment effect. There, there may be other goals, and we, and we'll come to that a little bit. So let's just, uh, take, uh, another criticism of it is temporal trends. So what is the, the, the, the criticism about temporal trends?
Kert Viele: So there's something really magical about doing fixed randomization, not doing RAR. So if, if I run a trial and I enroll patients one-to-one, and I have patients that enroll early in the trial, I have patients that enroll late in the trial. If I look at the treatment and control groups, however those split between how many patients came in early and how many came in late, they're the same between treatment and control because I've done one-to-one the whole way. I've equalized allocation the whole way through the trial. If I do RAR, that doesn't happen necessarily. If I start the trial one-to-one and then shift to three-to-one, for example, or some people would say nine-to-one, uh, which I don't think we get to very often. Uh, but in any case, if you do that, so what's gonna happen is you go three-to-one in favor of treatment later in the trial. You look at the treatment subjects, they're more late patients. You look at the control subjects, there are fewer late patients. If there's any kind of anything going on, and the classic example is COVID, where there's a new variant coming in and it-- people act-- react to it differently, that is gonna generate a bias, and that is potentially really, really bad. So I mean, it depends on how big the bias is, but it can completely invalidate your conclusions. Typically, we would add terms to our model. We'd model time to address this, uh, but that's generally what the issue is, is you do need to take active steps to correct for that and make sure you're robust.
Scott: Oh, that, that creates biases. And that term, it creates biases, always depends on how you're analyzing the data.
Kert Viele: Right
Scott: you ignore the fact that it's different over time and it's not part of the model, then it could cause bias. If you're adjusting by time, then, know, assuming you have additive effects across time, then it's not biased within that setting. So there are, there are ways to adjust for time if it's a concern. There, there are some cases where we have much less concern about time effects. In some cases, we have larger effects about, uh, larger concerns about time. So there are ways to adjust for that. Okay, um, there's one other potential criticism, which is the rare circumstance where people may be un- uh, unblinded to the, what's the allocation is, is that you may learn one treatment is doing better than another one just by the fact it's being given more. in a blinded trial where patients are blinded, investigators are blinded, nobody would know that a particular treatment is given more. In trials where they're unblinded, this becomes also a potential criticism, um, uh, uh, of, of RAR
Kert Viele: Yeah, and among many other criticisms of an unblinded trial. Lots of things can happen in those settings, and RAR may make them worse, so
Scott: Okay, so we've set up potential negatives. This unblinding aspect of it is a potential negative. trends is a potential negative to it, and in a two-arm trial, you reduce power. So, uh, o- okay,
Kert Viele: sounds, sounds awful, Scott
Scott: sounds, sounds bad. So what are the potential
Kert Viele: So, so
Scott: of, of, of RAR? We, we started, it seemed like a positive thing.
Kert Viele: So,
Scott: positives of RAR?
Kert Viele: well, so there is a case where RAR is a good match. So in that case, the one we often use it for is situations where we are looking at multiple arms. We're not in a two, two-arm setting, and we're looking for the best arm among those alternatives. So the classic examples here would be dose-finding. I'm not particularly worried about, you know, which arm is the fourth-best. I wanna know what is the best. Um, in the epidemic settings, the pandemic settings, we wanna know what's the best treatment for, for patients. We don't necessarily need to know the others. In those cases, what RAR does for you is because you are increasing allocation to the best arm, it's the one doing the best, it's the one you're gonna raise, you get more information on that best arm. You wanna be careful here. This is the thing we've always been telling people is you wanna make sure you maintain the control allocation because that's part of your comparison. If you're gonna do an estimate at the end to compare to control, you need controls, so don't, don't skimp on those. But in those cases, RAR will give you more power 'cause it gets more patients on the, on the arms that matter in your comparison. It gets you lower bias, lower, um, uh, lower variance, so basically you get better estimates. All of these inferential things start working in your favor
Scott: So i-in a, in a setting, and looked at in a, in a treat-- potential trial for Ebola, for example, you might have four active treatments that could be brought in as a treatment for it. If you're increasing the probability of one or two of those treatments and keeping control the same, you have a better idea of figuring out the best. But now you've reduced the, the randomization to arm four, in a setting, the question is, do you care about that? So power is such an oddâ¦ Uh, it's not an odd thing, but it's a really important thing to unders- make sure we understand what are we trying to do in the trial. What are the goals of the trial? If it's trying to identify every possible treatment that's good or bad, you might not wanna do RIR 'cause it's not finding the best. If it's about finding the best, then identifying the effect, it can increase the power, and dose finding is a great example of that because you don't care, uh, about a-arms that aren't as effective. You're trying to identify the best. And so it's a perfect example, and it's commonly where we do it the most at Barry is a dose finding trial, uh, where, where it can create a better trial design. Okay. Now, at the same time, so if somebody enters into a trial and, um, there's this framework that's set up in these trials of a VIP, where suppose you were running a trial and a VIP came in and you wanted to treat the patient as well, and you could look at the data and assign one of the arms. As the trial goes on, you're more and more likely to put that patient on a better arm because you're learning, and you would treat that VIP better. Now, we don't do that in trials, and VIPs don't get to come in and look at the data of it. Um, but that, i-if we're, if we're increasing the probability to arms that are doing better and we're learning more efficiently, we're treating patients better in the trial. And so a patient that comes in later in the trial is more likely to be given a more effective arm in the trial
Kert Viele: So we've talked about this. Um, it probably doesn't happen in trials very often, but we've talked about this example in the context of a learning healthcare system where the, the whole healthcare system is trying to improve itself, but somebody walks in the door going, "I, I don't want you to randomize me. You just look at the data and tell me which one's the best, and I want that." And you can imagine situations where that's-- I mean, we talk about the ethics of it for a long period of time. Uh, but it's at least conceivable. The nice thing about RAR is in that ethical case, if you were doing fixed randomization, that VIP coming in wanting special treatment, they actually get treated much better than the average patient because the average patient's getting randomized, not making use of information. If you're doing RAR, what's happening is the difference between that VI-VIP and the average patient in the trial is actually pretty darn small. It's a couple-- You know, if you're doing mortality, it's a couple percent rather than twenty, twenty-five percent. So it really helps on getting treat-- patients treated well and can-- the, the idea that we're still learning as well as, um, as well as making use of that information
Scott: Yep. Yep. so from a perspective, and I started this off with if I'm, if I'm a patient going into a trial and there are two trials, and one of them is doing RAR and one of them is not, I'd rather go in the trial with RAR. I find that a, a, a better place to go. interestingly, we do a number of trials, especially rare disease, we're treating a pediatric disease, um, a Duchenne muscular dystrophy, where you might do two to one or three to one randomization. There's a s- very strong preference of a patient to enter into a trial where they're more likely to be put on the active arm, and it's, it's done as a tool to increase enrollment wi- within the trial to, to, to increase the likelihood patients would agree to enter into that trial because it's favoring the active arm. Now you've got a procedure that learns from the data and, and goes to different arms within it, which is, which is a perception generally, I think, that patients would rather be in that trial
Kert Viele: And I, I think we ought to add kind of to the, the objections to RAR here that, you know, we simulate these trials and how are we doing this RAR? How are we increasing the allocation? You can, of course, do this badly. Uh, when we present this to people who have never, you know, done adaptive trials before, they-- the natural question is, well, what if you overreact to early data and the early data is just noisy and wrong? And certainly, the answer is if you do RAR badly, you can overreact to that. There are papers that have gone through, you know, doing interims at a sample size of three where, hey, this isn't working out well. So you wanna simulate this. You wanna make sure that you do this in a way where you don't overreact, but you're making use of the information. And that requires, uh, basically a seasoned practitioner in order to find the right balance
Scott: Yeah. So, uh, we would never enter into a trial, put an algorithm together that does RAR, just hope it works. Uh, we simulate thousands of trials. Weâ¦ Millions of trials. We make sure under a huge range of scenario, it's getting better answers, or it's accomplishing the goals that it's intended to improve upon. Uh, if it's that trial itself, we wanna improve the outcome of patients, if it's to learn the right dose. Uh, so we simulate them e-extensively ahead of time. There's a famous example of an RAR algorithm where, in hindsight, I'm not sure that they like the outcome of it, um, within it, and it's the ECMO trial. Uh, uh, Bartlett, years ago, ran a trial, and it was, um, newborns that had particular respiratory issues. They were being randomized between conventional care and ECMO, an ECMO machine, um, for them. Now, the, the-- What was the design? It was called a play the winner design and, or Polya urn design, where initially there's a bowl and there's two balls in the bowl. One is red for conventional, one is blue for ECMO. And the first patient comes in, you grab a ball, and whatever ball is selected, that, that's assigned to the patient If that patient is a success and they survive, survival was the endpoint, you put back the ball on the therapy they were given. So if they were given the blue therapy and they lived, you put another blue ball in the, in the bowl. And then the next patient that comes in has a two-thirds chance of be given the, the blue therapy. If they're given blue and they don't survive, you put a red ball in the, in the urn, and now it's more likely the patient would get red. And every patient that, that continues and you put more and more balls in the urn i- in there, and therapy's doing better have more balls in there, therapy's doing worse, the other one has more. And it was a, it was a procedure for doing response adaptive randomization that. Now, what happened in the trial is the first patient that came in was randomized to conventional care, and the patient died. Um, and so a new ball was put in for ECMO. The next patient that came in got ECMO and survived. now a new ball is put in, so now it's 75% ECMO. it went on a run of like 27 consecutive ECMO patients, and they were all surviving. I think there may have been a death in there. But the trial ended up, I believe, uh, like 26 out of 27 on ECMO and oh for one or oh for two. I think at the end they even added a few more conventional therapies on there. But it ended up incredibly disparate, uh, uh, in the trial. Now, it turns out ECMO is highly effective. It's better than conventional. We know that now. But the trial was greatly criticized, and I had the, I had the benefit once of asking Bartlett, "Had you seen a simulation that showed what happened in the trial, would you have said that was good, I'm glad it did it?" He said, "No. No. We would have done something different." And that's the value of simulation, to be able to evaluate that particular algorithm
Kert Viele: So I, uh, one aspect of that, so all of these play the winner, the poly-polyarms schemes, they come out of a particular literature, which obviously, you know, your father Don's heavily contributed to. But w- there is one aspect of that. A lot of that literature is based on trying to treat a sequence of patients well without having any regulatory aspect to it. So at no point do you have to generate, you know, P less than .025, so to speak. Um, one thing that people should keep in mind is that when you put that kind of regulatory requirement on it, you need a different kind of evidence. And so that's one of the things more modern RAR methods do is they take into account the regulatory environment as well, which is a change over the past 40 years.
Scott: Wh- whi- which is doable.
Kert Viele: Yeah
Scott: there are guidance documents that say response adaptive randomization is, can be done in confirmatory trials. Um, it's probably not very common because phase three a lot of times are two-arm trials
Kert Viele: Yeah
Scott: and, and there may not be benefit in a t- two-arm trial, especially in that regulatory setting. It's unlikely that you would do RAR in a two-arm phase three trial.
Kert Viele: Well, you, you have examples of seamless two, three trials that have done RAR in the first part and then lowered, lowered the number of doses
Scott: Right. So Eli Lilly's treatment Trulicity, dulaglutide, uh, it's one of the earliest GLP-1 inhibitors, was seven-arm phase two trial that at some point could trigger phase three. it selected two doses to move forward into a fixed randomization phase three portion. By the way, it included data from the first part, uh, in the final analysis of that, which was done through response adaptive randomization. And it honed in on the 1.5 milligram dose. Higher doses were having, safety issues, high heart rate, high blood pressure. It moved away from them, and 1.5 was the dose that moved forward, eventually has done incredibly well and, you know, billions of dollars of year treatment. So that, that is certainly done in seamless two, three trials, where the first part is to find the right dose. An interesting side effect of that is that the original design in that trial was three arms in the phase two part. And when they looked at expanding that to a range of seven doses, that increases the sample size by that factor, you know, seven thirds and it's, oh, that, that's too big. But by doing response adaptive randomization and honing in on a particular part of the dose response curve, y- the sample size isn't seven thirds, and the sample size wasn't even any bigger to do seven doses than three doses because of the modeling in the trial. So there's a huge benefit to that. The ICECAP is very similar to that. ICECAP was three durations, but they wanted a wider range of durations. They went to 10 with largely the same sample size because it hones in very quickly in the region of interest, uh, in the scenario. So there areâ¦ The, the higher power isn't just higher power. It may enable more doses, uh, to be used in a better trial design
Kert Viele: And one thing that you talked about, well, you'd obviously talked about the TRILOGY trial for a long time, but the, uh, the notion that it incorporated safety. You, you were doing RAR not just on an efficacy measure, but a combination which allowed them to pick a dose that balanced several features. I forget what the features are, what were in that trial?
Scott: clinical utility index that was HbA1c chains,
Kert Viele: Yeah
Scott: Uh, uh, amazingly in the world we're in, weight loss, which has become, the GLP-1s now approved solely for weight loss, um, and blood pressure and heart rate. So there are four endpoints that went into selecting the optimal therapeutic, uh, uh, dose, uh, in it. okay. Um, uh, within this, by the way, we should mention, uh, it's sort of a really interesting story when it w- in and of itself. You mentioned, uh, Don's work in this and bandit problems, uh, and its relationship to response adaptive randomization. But even going farther, back farther than this, largely, I think the first randomized trial, randomized clinical trial of humans, um, was in the 1940s. Uh, streptomycin,
Kert Viele: 1948, streptomycin
Scott: uh, treatment of that, fixed randomization, uh, two-arm trial, fixed randomization. But you can go back to 1933, and there's a paper by Thompson where he introduces response adaptive randomization, uh, to that, and it was a long-forgotten paper, um, within it that has now gr- been, been, uh, uh, cited many, many times, and it's even a little bit of the, uh, search, uh, uh, uh, uh, Google search things and, and bandit problems that has brought that paper back to life.
Kert Viele: And not just brought it back to life. I mean, it's one of the more cited papers. I mean, talk about having to wait for fame. You publish it in 1933, you get very little attention for 70 years, and now suddenly you have 5,000 citations or whatever it's at now
Scott: Yep. bandit problems is largely, it-- you've got multiple arms to pull, and you decide on which arm to allocate to a patient. Usually, they're done in a deterministic way. Oh, give them arm three, give them arm one. And usually, you've set up a goal of that particular trial, which can include a very large horizon that at some point you have to pick a treatment and go with one treatment. Um, but you set up a goal to, to save as many particular patients or have a particular outcome. And, and this was my father's dissertation work, was bandit problems, uh, within it. So closely related to response adaptive randomization is this whole literature of bandit problems, which have also been cited many, many times. Um, and many of this is now advertising, uh, online advertising. If Google has multiple ways in which it can present an ad to you, and I'm using Google just as a, a
Kert Viele: Yeah
Scott: of things, it can, uh, throw out three and, and find out how many clicks does it get? Well, maybe we'll try two, maybe we'll try one. Maybe we'll personalize it to individuals within that so they can be using this technology to increase the number of clicks Okay. Um, uh, now within the, the properties of this, I wanted-- platform trials have all, uh, brought out a really interesting part to this. So platform trials are those where we have multiple agents in the trial and a, a, a relatively new, uh, uh, thing. And we might have four e-experimental treatments and a control in the trial at one time. So this opens up the interesting question of do we wanna do response adaptive randomization platform trials, which largely are a multi-arm trial
Kert Viele: So I, I think platform trials to me are we, we still haven't explored this in as much detail as we would like. We've done simulations for our own trials and so on, but RAR, it's a really different beast in platform trials, or at least it can be. If, if I'm doing an umbrella trial where I've got four arms, I've got to enroll two hundred patients, when I do RAR, if I'm increasing allocation to certain arms, I'm decreasing allocation to others. In a platform trial that's perpetual, so I'm gonna do four arms, I'm gonna replace an arm when I drop it, increasing the allocation doesn't necessarily lower sample size. It slows things down. And so you could say, "I'm gonna speed up the arms that look the most promising," but I'm not gonna abandon everything else. It's still there for me to get to it later, potentially. And I've been really interested in how all that plays out in practice, and we've done this both ways. But I, I think this is one of the open research areas is how this works.
Scott: Yeah, one of the controversial things or the w- things that may be problematic is if there's four sponsors that own-- four separate
Kert Viele: Yeah
Scott: that own the drugs, and we accelerate sponsor A, it slows down sponsor B by, by, by definition, and that may be an undesirable thing to recruiting arms in a trial. So many of them in that scenario, phase two setting, don't use response adaptive randomization because
Kert Viele: it would even be worse if we said we weren't going to explore an arm at all, much less than slow it down. That often generates more controversy with sponsors with reason, "Hey, we want you to give us an answer."
Scott: Right. One trial where this was done with multi-sponsors, and it was generally perceived by all to be a good thing, is the I-SPY2 So the I-SPY2 trial is a Phase 2 trial in neoadjuvant breast cancer, and there would be 20% fixed on the control, and then the remaining 80% was set up across the experimental arms that were in the trial, and it would impr- it would increase the, the probability. The, the really interesting thing there is breast cancer, we, we understand heterogeneity of disease in breast cancer better than most diseases. HER2 breast cancer is, HER2 positive is a different breast cancer than HER2 negative. So the trial was enrolling, uh, hormone receptor by HER2 status, also had MammaPrint status. So there's eight types of cancer that women are being enrolled within that. So if you came in with HER2 negative, hormone receptor negative, triple negative disease, you are have a different randomization probabilities over the four arms that are in the trial than somebody who's HER2 hormone receptor negative within that. Theâ¦ we might accelerate one drug for one type of cancer, but a different drug is being accelerated in another type, and they had a fixed 120-patient sample size. So they got more patients within the subtypes where they were doing better, and they might have gotten less in other settings. So you were treating patients better, but the, the sponsors perceived this to be a positive because of the multiple subgroups where RRR was done different by subgroup. So it wasn't just slowing down one for the other. One slows up one place and speeds up the other place. That was thought to be a very positive thing
Kert Viele: Well, and it, it speeds up their phase three because if you know where your treatment has the biggest benefit, you can design a smaller trial to detect that in phase three. You enroll the people who benefit, and you don't dilute the effect through people who don't, and obviously the people who don't benefit can go to other trials where they may achieve benefit and benefit them there
Scott: So, well, one of the places where I've run into the most controversy is, uh, so I-I've been involved in, uh, multiple dozens of trials that use RAR. Very happy with all of them. And really very happy with e-every use of RAR. We did have a couple issues in the REMAP-CAP trial, uh, so fair to sort of point that out. Uh, these have been made public. Where REMAP-CAP is multifactorial. So a patient that comes in could be randomized to drug A, yes or no. Dr- And then a different domain of treatments that you could get drug one, two, or three, uh, within that. And, you know, w- I think the most a patient's been randomized is seven different domains, simultaneously randomized that. it uses response adaptive randomization. Some of those domains are two, um, arm domains. There's a control, and then there's, yes, you get therapy. Should you get high-dose vitamin C, yes or no? That was one of the domains in the trial. Now, so it was deemed this is a trial that was treating a pandemic, COVID-19, and I'll, I'll be specific to that. We're also enrolling non-pandemic community-acquired pneumonia, uh, within that. But within the pandemic, it was thought that this was highly beneficial to do response adaptive randomization. was more likely that groups, uh, that, that, there would be a positive to entering into this trial if it was using the most up-to-date information. It's treating the pandemic while it's learning at the same time. Now, we did end up in a two-domain case of simvastatin, where it ended up about ninety percent probability for simvastatin versus no simvastatin. And it hovered around determining efficacy, and it probably took longer it to declare efficacy, uh, than it would have if it stayed one-to-one. But meanwhile, it was increasing the probability of patients getting simvastatin during the pandemic. So this was a case that was debated a lot as to whether RAR was a good thing or not in that particular scenario
Kert Viele: So we've got-- There's another example in addition to the pandemic. We have a trial called PROSPECT, which ha- we've-- there's a protocol paper out. The results paper is not out yet. We're hoping that will come relatively soon. Um, but anyway, it is a two-by-two factorial experiment. So technically there are four arms, but you could think of it as doing two arms twice on the rows and columns of that two-by-two table.
Scott: Yep
Kert Viele: there were similar discussions there over this is-- PROSPECT is on, uh, respiratory distress in children. And so the notion was, hey, we want to treat these kids well while we're trying to learn. And that was exactly part of the debate there.
Scott: Uh, one other case just to be upfront is we did have a domain where initially data were reported and flipped. Um, and so what happens is the RAR, intending to improve the better, um, went the wrong way, uh, within that. Lot, a, a number of lessons learned. Now, the final data that went into it was all fixed and all of that. So by the way, there's a, a, a strong operational burden upon, uh, I, I don't wanna say strong. There's an operational burden upon doing RAR, making sure the data's right that goes into the RAR, the very- various pieces of this. It's, uh, an important part of the story is the logistical part of doing RAR. Some settings, it's reasonably straightforward. I-Spy 2, it, it ran weekly automated, um, but you gotta get the data right
Kert Viele: I remember doing the RACE trial and I would get data every 12 patients, and this was back in the old days. And so I would be sitting there, I basically put together the randomization table and it got replaced in the randomization system. But I was more or less manually doing that, which was not what you'd want if you can avoid it. I think everything worked out fine in this, but it's been good seeing more and more groups learn how to do this and be able to do this automatically. But as you said, there are still some snafus that occur and you want an experienced group doing this, not just on the design side, but on the implementation side
Scott: Yep. Uh, I do wanna come back to something you said that I think in sort of looking forward to the future here, uh, ofâ¦ I, I think platform trials, multi-arm experiments, uh, are growing in popularity, even in comparative effectiveness. I do think somewhat of the future is a learning healthcare system, where if you imagine where we are today, we do these experiments to learn the right therapy, but 99.9% of people are treated outside of those, and we don't learn from them at all. As we start to merge learning about different treatments with treating patients at the same time, we, we do experiments where the Belmont Report lays out that it's okay that these people are being experimented on, that we do one-to-one. But in a learning healthcare system where we want to treat patients better and learn about therapies, response-adaptive randomization is an incredibly powerful tool. If I owned a healthcare system and there was a particular treatment and there's five available drugs to treat that, uh, IBS, psychiatry, number of scenarios, radomizing patients to the different treatments, response-adaptive randomization, learning the right therapies, we don't learn from these patients at all i-in a randomized causal way for sure, uh, is an incredibly powerful thing. So I think response-adaptive randomization, while it's a powerful tool in the right setting, it's a bad tool in other settings, and that's, that's the part of it. Um, is it has a really strong future as I think healthcare becomes more integrated, learning healthcare. Uh, I think it, it, it's, it's a powerful future
Kert Viele: And you're gonna be exploring combinations of therapies. All of this is gonna go together in ways that typically aren't done in, say, a hundred-patient trial. So just 'cause I can't
Scott: And like the I-SPY 2 trial, we're gonna have a much better idea of the, how diseases are cl- similar but different, heterogeneity of treatment effect. Uh, all of this comes together where I think res- response adaptive randomization is, is going to be even more valuable. Thompson is going to, post 100 years, get more and more citations as, as time goes on. Uh, which I think is Thompson sampling, it's even called. Um,
Kert Viele: Certain types? Yep
Scott: All right. Well, it took us, it took us 60-plus episodes, uh, before we got to response adaptive randomization. I, I suspect it's not our last discussion of this, but, uh, one of my favorite topics and, and one of them that get- keeps people listening So thanks for joining, Kurt. Appreciate everybody out there tuning in today. Until next time, we'll be here in the interim
Kert Viele: Thanks, Scott