In this episode, you’ll hear my interview about living mindfully as a healthcare professional with Rochelle Mclaughlin, the founder of Ways of the Rising Woman, and a celebrated teacher, life coach, and inspirational speaker. Plus, this episode comes with some awesome bonus content to help get us on the path toward more mindful living, so keep listening to the end to find out more!
- BONUS material! Rochelle guided me through a mindfulness exercise, which we recorded for all of us to enjoy and use as needed to rest and bring awareness to the present moment. Find it wherever you found this podcast and play it as often as you need.
- Don’t have extra time in your day to meditate? No worries, you don’t need to add anything to your schedule to practice mindfulness. In this episode, learn how to use your body as a resource to help you become aware of what’s already happening.
- Learn more about Rochelle at her website: rochellemclaughlin.com
- Want to hear more from Rochelle? Check out her podcast here
- John Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D. is internationally known for his work as a scientist, writer, and meditation teacher engaged in bringing mindfulness into the mainstream of medicine and society
- Check out this empirical study of the mechanisms of mindfulness in a mindfulness‐based stress reduction program
- Rochelle has studied under Dr. Bob Stahl, PhD at El Camino Hospital
- Rochelle mentions that mindfulness and meditation stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system. Here are a few studies if you’re interested in learning more!
- Spiritual bypassing
- In a blog post by Psychology Today, Diana Raab PhD defines it as “spiritual ideas and practices to sidestep personal, emotional ‘unfinished business,’ to shore up a shaky sense of self, or to belittle basic needs, feelings, and developmental tasks.
- Mindfulness-based integral psychotherapy: Here is a resource for learning more if you think it might be right for you
- Donation-based retreat centers (Also called Sangha) allow people to do this work in community
- SJSU course details advanced certificate
- Rochelle is also teaching free mindfulness programs launching through the National Center for Equine Facilitated Therapy NCEFT.org
- Rochelle mentioned her work with 1440 Multiveristy
- “1440 Multiversity is a unique nonprofit learning destination where you experience time differently, exploring what matters to you while surrounded by mountain air and ancient redwoods. Enjoy farm-to-table food, wellness classes, and curated experiences to connect with yourself and others while discovering new approaches for how you live, love, and work. Register for a program run by our world-renowned faculty or reserve a weekday or weekend getaway for rest and renewal while partaking in 1440's Signature Classes offered on campus.”
- Read more about Wilcock’s model (doing, being, becoming)
What is OT Uncorked?
OT Uncorked is a podcast for wine-loving OTs, pairing wine and hot topics in occupational therapy. Hosted by Miranda Rennie and featuring guests from the profession, OT Uncorked was created to learn from people doing ordinary and extraordinary work across OT settings and share resources with other practitioners. Miranda is an OT who is passionate about providing holistic care for people with neurologic conditions. She is a small-town East Coaster living in Los Angeles, CA. Miranda hopes you will join her in uncorking hot topics and wine, discovering what’s new and relevant in the profession!