This episode is the first of our Thoughtful Chatbot Series. Chatbot Platforms with Mitul Tiwari (CTO and Co-Founder) and Muckai Girish (VP of Business Development) from Passage AI.
Companies like Passage AI are making chatbots easier to build and implement. As we think about thoughtful software at Skiplist, Passage AI is tackling thoughtful bot building.
- Differentiators: Vertical-focus and use cases, end to end bot building platform, support of many languages and NLP implementations, supports messaging apps and tools.
- Speed of deployment and accuracy are also strong characteristics of Passage AI's tech.
- 100% necessary for bot success
- Using off-the-shelf tools to build proprietary tech for the backend of Passage AI
- Great use-cases for Passage AI
- Customer service automation
- Retail and telecom
- 24/7 response
- Knowledge base search and automation
Chatbot Adoption (9:31)
- Most customers want to be transparent with their end users about the fact that they're speaking with a chatbot.
- The expectation is that the end user would be handed off to a live agent if necessary.
- Uses sentiment-change detection in the chatbots to trigger hand-off to live agent sometimes.
- We're far more comfortable with these digital tools, socially, now than ever before.
- Passage AI is constantly adding support on social and messaging and voice platforms as well as some mobile apps.
What Differentiates Passage AI from Existing Platforms? (19:58)
- Customers who've developed a Skill then want to scale it to other platforms. Can't do it.
- Trying to help customers do efficient work: build once and deploy nearly everywhere.
- Lots of market fragmentation - Passage AI is an easy way to integrate functionality across all these different hardware platforms.
- Chatbots are also assisting professionals at the customer level, not just the end user level.
- Chatbots aren't actually replacing humans at all; not even close.
Bot Security Concerns (26:12)
- Stripping out confidential information
- Process messages in real time to make this filtering work at the front end
- All requests come in HTTPS. Data encrypted at REST.
- Compliance with financial and SEC regs + GDPR compliance.
- Following security best practices.
Internal vs External Adoption of Chatbots (30:05)
- Yes, really big adoption for internal teams
- Password resets for IT, for instance
- Expenses and travel policy implementation.
- Insight into sourcing departments and MSA agreements at a company
- This is most important because the smallest support teams are the ones supporting internal processes.
Protection Against Biases (32:45)
- Introducing bias-training data.
- Balance of training data across use-cases.
- Using analytics to identify new bias issues if/when they come up and retrain
Trends for 2019 around Chatbots (38:17)
- 2018 - conversational interfaces
- 2019 - contact center solutions
- Chatbot is going to be a critical component of a call center. Chatbots will literally be handling the first part of incoming calls.
- Customer service automation is still just ramping up and will continue to grow.
- More services from tech companies mean much more incoming support calls. Chatbots will be critical to handling these increased loads.
What is Thoughtful Software Podcast?
Software is eating the world. Software is also eating our wallets. Billions of dollars a year are lost on unusable software projects. The world wants Thoughtful Software. We discuss how thoughtful people and thoughtful software will change the world for the better.