Welcome to the Soul Touched by Dogs Podcast, the show for dog lovers who see dogs not as toys or tools, but wise souls worth our respect and care. I'm an Herrmann, and I'm your host. I talk to poor some humans, people who do great work for dogs and their people. So come and join us for today's conversation.
Anke: Hello and welcome, Catherine. I'm very excited to have
Catherine: you here. I'm excited to be here, thank you.
Anke: Well, let people know where in this wonderful world you are, and as always, what's your business with dogs?
Catherine: Okay, so I'm actually based in Nottingham in the UK, so right in the heart of the country. And so I am a dog walker, but as well as dog walking, I also teach canine first aid classes as well. And I kind of got into that because my own dog, I always had an interest in canine health and nutrition, but my own dog got quite poorly. Um, and I learned a lot. Um, It was COVID as well, so it was difficult, you know, taking to the vets and stuff. So I learned a lot through her really. Um, so yes.
Anke: Oh, so well, like there's lots of questions I have. So now the first thing is like the, the first aid, you know, like my mind's always going like, okay, so who's helping who here? Right. So we're not talking, cause I had like, maybe I'm a little influenced by a conversation I recently had where somebody would go with their dog. to places of emergency and there'd be like first like not first aid but like first responding but you're talking about actually helping your dog in
Catherine: yeah so it's definitely not there to uh replace veterinary care absolutely not but it's more um so minor things that you can deal with yourself like a quick nail or something like that or removing a tick that kind of thing um but also Um, stuff you can do to help your dog prior, you know, on the way to the vets prior to getting veterinary care that can really alter the situation.
Anke: But we're always talking about helping your dog, not like going with your dog to help other people, right? So it's always about helping your own dog. Oh yeah,
Catherine: about your dog. I mean, as a, here, most people, as they should be really, that work with dogs, have got a canine first aid qualification. because that's really important. So, so people who care for other people's dogs, like dog walkers, dog boarders, uh, that, you know, that they would be helping other people's dogs as well. Um, but yeah, it's mainly to help dog, your dogs and dogs in your care.
Anke: Yeah. Okay. So, so what's like, is there something that you wish people just knew where you find like, Oh, this is what people get wrong all the time or what I have to explain over and over? What do you wish people knew?
Catherine: Not particularly something that people get wrong, but I wish that people knew how important is to know what your pet's vital statistics are. So, um, with my own previous dog, Josie, um, One of the reasons I'm so passionate about, uh, canine first aid is because I had a canine first aid certificate. And there was one day where she was just off her food. It seemed serious, but she was just off her food. She just wasn't quite herself. So, I checked her gums, which is what we're taught to do in first aid. And they were really pale. And that's when I knew that actually it was more serious than I thought it was. So we got her straight to the vets. Um, and really that, that helped save her life because she really was in trouble. It was quite a serious illness.
Anke: So that means you're saying like you want to really know what your dog looks like, you know, when they're wet. So it's really a benchmark kind of thing.
Catherine: Exactly. So it's really useful to know what is normal for your dogs because they're all quite different. Um, so with gums, they should be pink, uh, salmon, like a salmon pink color. They should be, um, You know, glossy and wet to touch. Um, so if, it's a really good idea to take a picture of your dog's gums as well. So you've got something that you can say, Okay, that looks a bit pale, but I'm just going to check. Because sometimes we can imagine things. So it's good to have a photo so you can look at it and say, Okay, there's definitely a difference in colour there. So, and the same with the pulse rate, it's really good to know your dog's resting pulse rate and also their breathing rate, because dogs are really, really good at hiding pain, as we know. Um, but if they are in pain, those will all go up. Um, so it's a really good idea to know what they are.
Anke: So how, what's the best way to measure that?
Catherine: Um, so with your dog's breathing rate, literally just wait until they're, um, at rest, so not when they've been running around in the garden, because that'd be a bit crazy. Literally just, you can either sit and watch them breathe, or just put your hand on their chest so you can feel it rise and fall. So, average dog, their breathing weight will be between 10 and 30. Um, Josie's actually, our previous dog's was 32, and that was just normal for her. So generally, the bigger the dog, the slower the pulse rate and the slower the heart rate, the breathing rate.
Anke: And so the pulses as well, like you just put your hands on it and then you count. Oh yeah, sorry,
Catherine: yeah. So the pulse, um, the best way to take your dog's pulse is, Um, on the inner, so basically if you place your fingers, in fact let me, let me show you, bear with me a sec, I'll show you on this guy. So this is um, Boris, he's in a bit of a mess as you can see, but the best way to take, yeah I know, the best way to take your dog's pulse rate is to place your fingers face upwards. Just where they're in the groin area where it meets the, um, you put this up a little bit?
Anke: Can, ah, there you Yeah, yeah. Yeah, so just up
Catherine: here. Oh, yeah. So, but you do have to be careful not to put, on a smaller dog or cat, say, if you put your thumb down you can end up taking your own pulse rate, so you just have to be careful. Yeah. So, it's really good to practice, you know, to find that on your dog, um, so that you know where it is and then just write it down so you've got something to refer to, yeah.
Anke: So would you kind of say, well, it's a good idea though, once a month to take some measurements and actually write it down because otherwise Why
Catherine: not? Yeah. Um, absolutely. I always check my dog scums once a month anyway, as a matter of course, I'm a bit obsessed as to what happened with Josie, but, uh, yeah, anything like that, anything for feeling under the weather, it's always worth just checking.
Anke: That makes it that makes sense. So I'm also curious, like, how, how did you get into dog walking? Like, was it like, did you have your own dog and somebody else? Or can you take mine? Or like, was that the first step? Or like, what made what made you start this at all? to walk other people's dogs. And then, you know, like how, how, how did you decide to actually turn that into, into kind of a business?
Catherine: Okay. So originally I actually started out as a dog groomer. Oh, um, which personally for me, I found it quite stressful. Um, uh, and also I've developed a really bad problem with my eyes. So, um, I managed because There's a thing called groomers, so the hairs, you can swallow them, you can get hair splinters, and I actually got them in my eyes and it was scratched on my eyes. So yeah, so hence I wear glasses most of the time now. I can't get my contact lenses in. Um, so that was a reason really, but while I was building up the grooming business, I was actually walking some dogs. People said, oh, will you walk my dog for me? Um, I actually found I loved being outdoors and being with dogs in that kind of situation rather than clipping them. Um, so that's how I got into it really, so I couldn't do dog grooming anymore, and so I just developed the dog walking side. But dog walking, I'm not sure, um, because I know you're in Spain, it might be different out there. It's actually quite, um, big here in the UK, yeah. I think in, where I live, in Nottingham, there's at least 300 dog walkers that I know of,
Anke: yeah.
Catherine: So, yeah.
Anke: I mean, I mean, it kind of, look, it makes sense because I'm all, I always said like I got my first dog when I moved to Spain and had my own business and could work from home. And the only reason I didn't have a dog earlier was that I was always, um, working in an office, right. And I was always thinking like, well, I don't want my dog to sit at home alone all day. Right. So if this concept of dog walkers had existed then, well, hell yes, I would have had a dog. So would you find that most of your clients are basically, they hire you so because they're out working all day or is that, is that not a common scenario?
Catherine: It's a mixture really. So some of them are out at work, um, but some of them actually work from home as well. Um, So during COVID, obviously everyone started working from home and a lot of people haven't gone back. They still, obviously they still need to be working. And because I've been walking their dogs for so long, they've just kind of carried it on really, um, to keep them in that routine.
Anke: So
Catherine: yeah, it's a bit of a mixture really. Or sometimes, um, occasionally. Get a dog where the owner is a bit elderly or a bit poorly and so they need some support with walking the dog.
Anke: So would you, do you have like a few sort of like permanent like regular customers or is it like how many times? I mean I was always like, I don't think. I think I've seen it here, you know, like where I live, you know, where sometimes there'd be people who kind of have a bunch of dogs, but it always thinks it kind of like a rescue baby or something. So, you know, how many dogs do you take out or do you go, could I kind of hire you and say, but I want you to only take out mine, or is that just a fee thing? Or would you do that? Not do like, how does that even work?
Catherine: No, absolutely. So, a lot of dog walkers, uh, here in the UK will walk up to six dogs. Um, and I haven't got a problem with that, but I, that's not for me. I prefer a smaller pack, so the most I really walk is three. Um, and yeah, absolutely, I'll do solo walks. In fact, quite a few of the dogs I walk are solo walks, because they, well, um, they don't always get on with other dogs, or they're a little bit nervous, or that kind of thing. Um, so yeah, I personally do do solo walks, and there are dogs out there that will do. Dog walkers out there that will do as well. Yeah.
Anke: So you, you were very fit then, right? Yes. I actually had the first three of mine. They was like where I was living. It was just like so narrow and whatever. And one had gotten bitten and he wasn't very happy. And I'm like, no, no, I'm with three dogs here. So I know like, yeah, they all get a little walk and I am like exhausted at the end. Yes.
Catherine: So it is. So it
Anke: is.
Catherine: It is, but actually I do walk them. I mean, I probably walk about seven, eight miles a day. I only really walk on the flat, because where we are, it's very flat, so if you put me walking up a hill, you wouldn't think I was fit at all, because I'm just not used to it. Yeah, I'll be huffing and puffing.
Anke: So what's common, like, would you, are there, your, your regular dogs, like, do you walk them every day, or do people say, hey, come in twice a week, or, or like three times a day, or like, what's, what's typical there?
Catherine: It depends. I have some that I walk every single day, except for the weekend. So Monday to Friday I walk them every day. I have some that walk twice a week, or sometimes I have some that let me know on the Sunday, these are the days I need you this week. So I'm quite flexible in that respect. Um, so, so yeah, it depends. It's a mixture. Yeah, I have some that I only walk, say, Um, three or four times a year, just when they're only needs me. Yeah. So
Anke: Nestea, like what, are you then expected like to take them to the vet or something like that if they're, or is it like strictly we go in the park, we go for walks or, or can they go like, Oh, actually, well, you remind me of what I did, like when I learned how to drive, the driving instructor would go, Oh, go here, turn left, go here. And next thing I know, like, Park here, and then he used my driving lessons to get his shopping bags. Wow, okay. So, you know, so he would let me park in front of the supermarket. So, so like, would somebody come and say, hey, can you pick up some, well, whatever? Or is that not something that happens?
Catherine: Normally I just take them in the car to the woods or wherever. Obviously if I needed to get them to the vets I would do. Um, here there's, there's certain rules about insurance. So if an owner wanted somebody to take the dog to the vets but they wanted to be there, they would need someone with that specific kind of insurance. Um, so I'm not insured for that but I would be insured. To take a dog, uh, on its own without the owner, to the vets, if that makes sense. Yeah. Sometimes, uh, I have done it where, um, they've asked me to drop the dog at the groomers on the way, on the way home, which is fine. Sometimes I have people saying, oh my gosh, I forgot to take the sausages out of the freezer. Do you mind taking them out? I don't mind doing anything like that, it's fine.
Anke: So what's your, what's your favourite, favourite part of, of this work? Um
Catherine: I think it's, one of my favourite parts is because I've, um, because I do do solo walks, is sometimes you get very nervous dogs, and just seeing them, building that relationship with them and seeing them come out of the shed, it's just really rewarding. I think that's my favourite part really. And some of these dogs have been walking for nearly eight years, so they really, yeah, I really do love them very much, yeah.
Anke: So, I mean, if people then go on holidays, would they leave the dog with you? Is that something that they kind of ask you or you'd consider?
Catherine: Here in the UK, you have to have a license to do boarding. Um, but I do know plenty of good boarders, um, either kennels, because some dogs do prefer kennels, or some people have home boardings. So I do have a good network of people that I can refer to if they need it, but I personally can't do boarding, because I don't have a license.
Anke: I mean, well, if you'd wanted to, you'd got the license, right?
? Catherine: Yeah. I think the thing with boarding is it's 24 7. Yeah. And it's a massive responsibility.
Anke: Yeah. I guess this way you kind of have stall kind of control over your life. Yes,
Catherine: exactly. And I've got my own dog as well and he, he does get on very well with, um, most dogs, but I think, don't know if he'd get a bit annoyed with loads of dogs coming around all the time. So I've got him to think of.
Anke: So where can people go and find out more and like see Especially obviously, well, if they live in your area, you know, like, hey, can you walk my dog? But then also I'm thinking, you know, if they want to learn about the first aid, because that's really relevant for any dog owner, like wherever you live. Yeah. You know, where can, where can people find out more and get in touch and all of these?
Catherine: Um, so probably the easiest way to find me is through my website, which is Mutliz. Um, it's www. mutliz. me. uk, but it's Mutliz spelt the same way as the cartoon character. I don't know if you've, if you've ever seen him. It was a big thing in the UK. I don't know. I'll check it
Anke: out now. Yeah. No, you must. Okay. That's awesome. Well, thank you. Thank you so much. Uh, you know, because it feels like it's one of those, you know, one of those kinds of work that everybody goes like, Oh, I wish I could do that. Right. You know, because so many dog lovers like, Oh, you know, I just love to hang out with dogs all day, every day. So you, you make that your business. I think that's amazing.
Catherine: Yeah. It's very rewarding. But also When it's slinging it down with rain, it can be quite, yeah, which it does a lot in the UK, it can be, yeah, quite hard work, but no, I wouldn't, I wouldn't change it.
Anke: I love that. Well, thank you so much. And, um, yeah, I hope, I hope to talk to you again soon and, um, yeah, find out everything about what's, what's new in your world and, um, mostly about, yeah, how to, how to help our dogs when they need it.
Catherine: Lovely. very
Anke: much.
Catherine: Thank you. Thanks so much for listening. If you enjoyed the episode, don't forget to subscribe, and leave a review so other dog lovers can find the show. If you haven't already, head over to soul touched by dogs. com and sign up for weekly doggy cuteness tips, recommendations, and personal stories to warm your dog loving heart. And if you know a pawsome human you think I should interview, I'd love an introduction. Email me at Anke. That's A N k E at Soul touched by dogs.com.