Ariana Grande continues her month-long domination of the Spotify Top 200; Jonas Brothers hit 20M Daily YouTube Views upon release of “Sucker”; Spotify playlist “Songs to Sing in the Car” eyes #5 top playlist with crazy follower growth....chartmetric.io @chartmetric #nerdout #musicdata
- Ariana Grande continues her month-long domination of the Spotify Top 200
- Jonas Brothers hit 20M Daily YouTube Views upon release of “Sucker”
- The Spotify playlist “Songs to Sing in the Car” eyes #5 top playlist with crazy follower growth rate
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Wed March 13th 2019.
- The track “7 rings” from American pop queen Ariana Grande continues to be the most played track globally on the Spotify Top 200.
- The trap-influenced flex track, since Jan 30th (12 days after release), has maintained the coveted 100 point score on the Spotify Popularity Index (or SPI).
- If you’re not familiar with SPI, check it out on our Help Page, but it’s a backend metric from Spotify that is applied to artists, tracks and albums to communicate popularity on their platform. It’s normalized between 0-100 and changes at least once daily.
- Bonus data point: In our RadioWave dataset, which aggregates 300 of most influential radio stations across the US, “7 rings” is most popular in San Francisco with 573 spins, Seattle next with 495 spins, and Chicago at 392.
- Artist Highlight in the News
- The Jonas Brothers make their comeback with their release of their mid-tempo pop track “Sucker”, releasing their YouTube video on Feb 28th, which currently sits at 67M views.
- Debuting as a group in 2005, they now scored their first #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 with the new release.
- During the week prior to the video, the brothers had an average of 140-150K Daily YouTube Views across their repertoire...but once the “Sucker” video released, they hit a peak of 20.9M views in one day, adding to their cumulative YouTube views total to over 177M.
- Interestingly, on March 5th, Indian fans beat out the rest of the world in their love for the Jonas Brothers by showing a 29K% increase in YouTube views to 388K, and beating out the next country, which was the UK at 274K. It certainly doesn’t hurt that superstar Priyanka Chopra features in the video and married Nick Jonas last year.
- Playlist Round-Up
- If you’re a train commuter, you might not be aware, but Spotify’s #6 most followed playlist is “Songs to Sing in the Car”, at 7.5M followers.
- Made up of pop hits from Cardi B all the way back to Destiny’s Child, it is ahead of the #7 playlist, “All Out 2000s” at 5.9M followers, and nipping at the heels of “Baila Reggaeton” at 9.1M.
- However, “Songs to Sing in the Car” is growing at a voracious rate of 6% in the past 28 days, which comes out to about 439K followers per month.
- If Baila Reggaeton doesn’t raise its current monthly growth of 85K per month, then it will be overtaken by the car singalong playlist by August 2019.
- Pro tip: “Songs to Sing in the Car” is a personalized playlist that shuffles rank and song selection for each individual Spotify user, so what you see in your playlist, might differ from your buddy’s.
- That’s it for your Daily Data Dump for Wed March 13 2019. This is Jason from Chartmetric, if you want to dig into your data a little more, feel free to sign up for a free account at chartmetric.io/signup
- Bye for now!
What is How Music Charts?
Welcome to How Music Charts, where we bring you interviews and analysis from music industry professionals bridging data and creativity in the music business every day. Feel free to email us ([email protected]), say hi on our socials (@chartmetric), and dive deeper into music and data on our blog (blog.chartmetric.com). Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com!