Today on the Alt Goes Mainstream podcast we have a fascinating conversation about how soccer is a compelling alternative investment.
We talk with Justin Papadakis, the COO & Chief Real Estate Officer of the United Soccer League. The USL is the largest and one of the fastest growing professional soccer organizations in the United States.
Justin and I had a fascinating conversation about how sports and investing are emerging in large part because of the collision of culture and finance.
- How soccer is such an underrated investment opportunity.
- How the USL has seen a rise in team valuations from the hundreds of thousands to some teams valued in the $60-70M range — with a big opportunity to increase revenues through various revenue streams that include media, player transfers, sports betting, stadium related revenue, real estate related revenue.
- How the intersection of sports and real estate factors into the investment thesis for sports teams.
- How the transition to OTT media can positively impact sports league and team revenue.
- How more more professional investors and funds are now becoming involved and investing into sports teams and what this means for the development of sports as an investable asset class.
- How women’s soccer is a sleeping giant and what the USL is doing to help make it an investable opportunity.
- How democratizing access to sports ownership through crowdfunding and DAOs — and the power of community — can play a role in the sports investment landscape in the future.
What is Alt Goes Mainstream?
Alt Goes Mainstream