As we continue our series entitled, "I Pledge Allegiance...", we discuss same-sex marriage and the biblical case for affirming and non-affirming positions and how sexuality can become an idol.
I Pledge Allegiance - Gays - The Idol of Sexuality
How should we talk about Homosexuality?
Thomas: Summary of Article
- Bible only affirms heterosexual marriage. Gender difference seems to be a necessary prerequisite for the prototype for God-sanctioned marriages (Gen. 2:24-25).
- Jesus highlights sexual difference in marriage, even when he didn’t need to (Mark 10). Paul will sometimes highlight sexual difference in marriage as necessary to reflect the character of God (Eph. 5; 1 Cor. 11).
- Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 state in absolute terms men should not have sex with other men.
- Every Jewish writer from 500 BC-AD 400 who spoke of same-sex relations condemned them.
- If the early church was going to part from this ethic, we would hope to see it clearly stated in the New Testament.
- While Jesus never mentions same-sex relations, he displayed a rather strict sexual ethic in other matters, which suggests he stood with his Jewish contemporaries.
- Romans 1 echoes the well-known ethic among Jewish and Greco-Roman writers, who believed that same-sex relations were “against nature”.
- Paul’s term for describing those engaged in same-sex relations in 1 Cor. 6:9 and 1 Tim. 1:10 is likely derived from Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13.
- The church has held this position for 2,000 years and while tradition alone is not a reason not to overturn a position, but given the previous eight arguments, it would take a rather earth-shattering series of arguments to overturn such well-established tradition.
- None of the Bible’s positive statements about heterosexual marriage were originally addressing homosexual relations.
- Romans 1 is speaking of excessive lust and not specifically addressing homosexual marriage.
- Most homosexual erotic behavior was extramarital, exploitative, pederastic, or exhibited unhealthy power differences. These are not the same as consensual, monogamous, same-sex unions.
- Calling God’s sexual ethic hate speech does Satan’s bidding. This is Orwellian nonsense or worse. I only know who I really am when the Bible becomes my lens for self-reflection, and when the blood of Christ so powerfully pumps my heart whole that I can deny myself, take up the cross, and follow him. - Rosaria Butterfield
- Cultivate an environment where people who experience same-sex attraction can talk about it.
- Listen to the stories of LGBT people.
- Put homophobia to death.
- Educate others about the complexities of homosexuality.
- Promote biblical (not cultural) masculinity and femininity.
- We are living in Babylon.
- Remember God is holy.
What is We'll Get There Podcast?
We're just three pastors (Brolin, Thomas, and Aaron) at Shiloh Hills Fellowship Church in Spokane, WA who are making it up as we go. We invite you on the journey of navigating an ever-changing culture with a biblical perspective. And while we certainly haven't arrived yet, we'll get there.