I haven’t talked to Carl Honoré for some time so it was a real treat when he joined me on this episode of The Productivityist Podcast. Carl is the author of such books as "In Praise of Slow" and "The Slow Fix", and his TEDx Talk on slowness has been viewed 2.7 million times. His latest book "Bolder: Making the Most of our Longer Lives", tackles aging and the stigma around it.
While most of society either tries to reverse time or fears growing old, Carl and I embrace the concept of aging. On this episode, we discuss how the idea of aging is evolving, why slowing down is good, and why retirement age is the perfect time to work towards creative pursuits and self-improvement in this "Golden Age of Aging".
Specifics that we covered on the show include:
- A decades' worth of catching up with Carl (01:54)
- Carl's hockey game epiphany about aging and the cult of youth (04:03)
- Moving away from the life path straitjacket and towards defining one's life via values and tastes (07:12)
- Riding the gray wave: A take on aging, retirement, and focusing on what matters (11:10)
- Embracing technology, continuous learning, and busting myths that come with aging (15:59)
- Counterintuitive ways of living bolder towards happiness and well-being (19:23)
- Watch your words: How language can impact how we live our lives (23:07)
- The play on words on the book title Bolder and what it aims to accomplish (25:40)
What's happening now culturally is we're throwing all those pieces up in the air and they're coming back down again in a way that gives people the freedom, permission, space, and right to define what their life is going to look like at every stage. ~ Carl Honoré
- Bolder: Making the Most of our Longer Lives | Amazon
- Steve Dotto | The Productivityist Podcast
- Carl Honoré
I appreciate the time you spend listening to the show. If you enjoyed this, make sure to never miss an episode by subscribing. Also, take a moment to give the podcast a rating and review on whatever platform use to listen to podcasts.
Thanks for listening and for your support. See you later.
What is The Productivityist Podcast: A Time Management and Personal Productivity Talk Show?
Hosted by productivity strategist Mike Vardy, The Productivityist Podcast is a weekly show that discusses tips, tools, tactics, and tricks that are designed to help you take your productivity, time management, goals, to do lists, habits, and workflow to new heights - both at work and at home. If you're looking to focus your efforts on getting the right things done and start living the good life, then this weekly conversational podcast – crafted in the tradition of Slate's Working, Back to Work, and HBR IdeaCast – is for you.