Persuade through your work and through your words.
I talk about:
● How so much creative work relies on writing and good communication
● My experience of finishing my first course — Brand Strategy 101 and how that helped me realize that copywriting and the ability to capture nuances in copy is important in strategy
● Achieving massive success as a creative pro by developing a unification of both design and writing skills
● The Top 3 skills designers need outside of creative abilities and how being a good copywriter leverages those skills further
● The biggest red flag when it comes to communicating that may be causing projects to be turned down
● Why you should learn to articulate what you do, verbally present your work, and get your point across
● “Content is king” philosophy and the need to leverage being a content creator in today’s competitive world
● Building credibility as someone who knows what they’re talking about and can articulate it well
● Writing as a career advancement insurance as you rise up the ranks in your career
● How to be a better writer, why deadlines are motivating, and the 10,000-hour rule that applies to writing
● Resources that will help your writing skills improve
While it’s imperative as a creative professional that you get better at writing, you don’t have to do it alone. Take a course, read a blog, and start putting it to practice. What’s important is you just start.
Mentioned in this episode:
My Brand Strategy 101 course: https://www.branddesignmasters.com/brand-strategy-101-1
Grammarly Writing Assistant: https://www.grammarly.com/
LinkedIn Learning: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/
SkillPath Professional Development: https://skillpath.com/
Skillshare Online Learning: https://www.skillshare.com/
The Write Life blog: https://thewritelife.com/
Write to Done blog: https://writetodone.com/
Thanks for listening! If you enjoyed this episode of the podcast, head on over to the following links for more of my work and some valuable resources to get you started on your own branding initiatives. Until the next episode!
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
JOIN THE BRAND•MUSE NEWSLETTER:
JOIN THE BRAND DESIGN MASTERS FACEBOOK GROUP:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER:
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST:
LIKE MY AGENCY ON FACEBOOK:
Bring Your Own Laptop - Adobe Training with Daniel Scott
Discount Code: “PHILIP50”
The Brand Design Masters Podcast is targeted to entrepreneurs, designers, creative professionals and anyone interested in brand strategy, business planning, graphic design, personal branding, trends and marketing.
Philip VanDusen is the owner of Verhaal Brand Design, a brand strategy and design agency based in New Jersey. Philip is a highly accomplished creative executive and expert in brand strategy, graphic design, marketing and creative management. Philip provides design, branding, marketing, career and business advice to creative professionals, entrepreneurs and companies on how to build successful brands for themselves and for the clients and customers they serve.
What is Brand Design Masters Podcast?
The Brand Design Masters Podcast with Philip VanDusen is dedicated to helping you build the skills you need to design bullet-proof brands - for yourself, your business and for the clients and customers you serve.
In every episode, Philip, his co-hosts and interview guests will share inspiration, ideas, trends and techniques that will lift you to greater heights as a creative professional or entrepreneur - so you can build a successful creative practice, business and personal brand in the Creative Economy.