How close are we to the homo deus - the human god?
This episode, we continue our conversation about Artificial Intelligence with Professor John Lennox, and Dr.s Vicky Lorrimar and Grenville Kent.
This episode is brought to you by series sponsor Zondervan Academic, publishers of How to talk about Jesus without being THAT guy by Sam Chan.
- Meet Professor John Lennox
- Get Professor Lennox’s book 2084: Artificial intelligence and the future of humanity
- Say hi to episode guests Dr Grenville Kent and Dr Vicky Lorrimar
- Watch this primer on ‘Transhumanism’ from BBC Ideas.
- Read The Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil (Lennox called him one of the most insightful people on this topic last episode)
- Watch this Ted Talk on how close we are to be able to ‘upload our minds’
- This is the article on The Washington Post in which Elon Musk talks about AI as summoning the demon (as mentioned by Lennox)
- Here’s a useful explainer on Utilitarianism from University of Texas
- Read this profile on Peter Singer from 1999 in The Guardian: The most dangerous man in the world
- Dig deeper into Peter Singer’s utilitarianism views, critiqued by John Lennox here.
- More on Naturalism.
- Read CS Lewis’ essay ‘On living in an atomic age’ in his book of essays ‘Present Concerns’
- Learn more about quantum mechanics in 60 seconds on BBC with Brian Cox
- Read 'The strange link between the human mind and quantum physics', BBC
What is Undeceptions with John Dickson?
Every week on Undeceptions we’ll explore some aspect of life, faith, history, culture, or ethics that is either much misunderstood or mostly forgotten. With the help of people who know what they’re talking about, we’ll be trying to ‘undeceive ourselves’ and let the truth ‘out’.