Prepare to Delivery Training: What are some consideration and suggestions for preparing to delivery training? How do you prepare to teach, speak, train, or facilitate learning? (AOE 3. Training Delivery; 3.9. Preparing for Delivery)
Learning Objective: Discuss the importance of adequate preparation to ensure effective communication during training delivery
Preparing for training for adult learners is key. You need to focus on the topic for the training and ensure you have the focus and interest for the professionals you are training. Getting this learning material ready and organized in advance will ensure effective communication and preparation for interactive training environment. To prepare training content, a talent development professionals should be aware of who is attending the training, know their backgrounds, work experience/industry, and motivations for the session so you know your key objectives in advance, by learning more about this information:
- What is the job role of each participant and job level in the organizational hierarchy?
- Why are the participants/employees attending the training session e.g. to learn new skills needed for the job or because it’s mandatory?
- Have the participants/professionals had experience with the topic, or is this learning content new?
- Using large font or type for notes
- Double- or triple space between lines and paragraphs
- Indent the first line of each paragraph or point based on topics
- Keep thoughts, sentences, and ideas organized on one page
- No run on sentences and clear spacing punctuation
- Type words as they would be read like numbers $150,000
- Use only one sheet of paper or cards for notes for speaking
- Number your cue cards or notes or slides - for speaking notes organization
- Mark where the visual aids are used to put keywords or sketches in the margins
- Rehearse enough to learn the presentation and then complete the entire presentation at each rehearsal - a 7:1 ratio of practice to presentation of training material
- Reduce reliance on notes with each rehearsal
- Audio record the presentation and try to achieve a pleasant, lively, and interesting tone with the right pace, tone, inflection, and pitch for delivery
- Tape rehearsal to check visual appearance to observe gestures, eye contact, body movement, and interaction with visual aids
- Rehearse in front of people
- Practice speaking spontaneously to avoid reading a script during presentation.
- Dress for a rehearsal in the actual clothes planned for presentation that is appropriate, comfortable, and professional.
- Pretend to be brave
- Focus on the subject of the presentation
- Convert fear into positive nervousness by accepting rather than resisting fear
- Enjoy yourself and think of fear as an opportunity to practice your training delivery skills
- Avoid stimulants or depressants, e.g. caffeine or alcohol
- Do isometrics while waiting to begin, breathing, or stretching while waiting
- Pay attention to breathing and try to breathe rhythmically
RESOURCE: Training Preparation Checklist from Toolbox IT/Tech
How do you prepare to perform? What are your pre-training delivery techniques that help you facilitate learning? For my veteran speakers, presenters, and trainers, what tips and strategies do you prepare before you are going to deliver a training or information session?
What is Learn/Perform Mixtape?
The Learn/Perform Mixtape is a podcast of my study notes as I prepare for the Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP). More at: https://techknowtools.com/learnperform-mixtape/