We would not be an AI newsletter without covering the past week’s releases from Google and Microsoft but we will use this chance to introduce the concept of AI race dynamics and why researchers are getting more cynical.
Join the Alignment Jam hackathon this weekend to get experience in doing ML safety research! https://ais.pub/scale
- Join the Predictable AI day in Valencia with the wonderful Irina RIsh: https://ais.pub/predai
- Join the EA global London happening in May with applications closing a month before: https://ais.pub/upd
- And of course, you can join our hackathon later today: https://ais.pub/scale
- Non-existent nuclear arms race: https://forum.effectivealtruism.org/posts/cXBznkfoPJAjacFoT/are-you-really-in-a-race-the-cautionary-tales-of-szilard-and
- Wiki entry: https://www.lesswrong.com/tag/ai-arms-race
- Singularity explosions and winner-takes all dynamics: http://singularityhypothesis.blogspot.com/2011/04/arms-races-and-intelligence-explosions.html
- Beware claims of arms races: https://thebulletin.org/2022/07/why-policy-makers-should-beware-claims-of-new-arms-races/
- CEO of Microsoft Satya Nadella talking about Microsoft’s strategy and safety work with OpenAI, using the word “alignment” multiple times: https://youtu.be/QinFy0RFDr8
- Bing release event: https://youtu.be/rOeRWRJ16yY
- Google’s release of Bard: https://youtu.be/n9s0_bwKiFY
- Massive flop from advertisement with wrong information: https://www.reuters.com/technology/google-ai-chatbot-bard-offers-inaccurate-information-company-ad-2023-02-08
- Google and Microsoft calm and war, “start a new race”: https://youtu.be/QinFy0RFDr8?t=811
- “Move fast and break things” is risky in ChatGPT race, David Leslie: https://youtu.be/RVm5wb8hacw
- Google invests $300 million in Anthropic: https://www.ft.com/content/583ead66-467c-4bd5-84d0-ed5df7b5bf9c
What is ML Safety Report?
A weekly podcast updating you with the latest research in AI and machine learning safety from people such as DeepMind, Anthropic, and MIRI.