Not all breaking artists are new artists, not all platforms have the same up and comers, and not a day more should pass until you check out all the viral talent we’re discovering on our new A&R tool..... chartmetric.com @chartmetric #chartmetric #dataallday #musicbusiness #musicindustry #dataanalytics #anr #AndrewSimple #GeraldWalker #BennytheButcher #KingGizzardandtheLizardWizard #FleetwoodMac
- Not all breaking artists are new artists, not all platforms have the same up and comers, and not a day more should pass until you check out all the viral talent we’re discovering on our new A&R tool.
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- Chartmetric’s social media handle is Chartmetric, no “S ”- follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, and talk to us! We’d love to hear from you.
- This is your Data Dump for Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2019.
- Breaking in Our Newly Updated A&R Dashboard
- Do you like discovering new music, but you want more than just a New Music Friday playlist? Do you like discovering new music, but you don’t necessarily want to be out 7 nights a week in the clubs either?
- Well, come check out the next version of Chartmetric’s A&R tool, now live on the platform.
- The newest, shiniest updates include:
- Several windows of relative change….for example, there is now a 7-day, 30-day and 60-day absolute value and growth change %
- For example, if I click on the Instagram Followers tab, Chartmetric scans over all the IG profiles we have in our 1.7M artist database, and as of yesterday, pulled out over 38K artists who showed remarkable growtih in that particular metric.
- Feel-good, indiecoustica troubadour Andrew Simple comes out on top here, with a 1700% increase in his IG follower base to 8.8K, from 30 days ago.
- “But what if I’m not into indiecoustica?” you may say, well here’s what else is really neat about this new A&R tool version:
- We have established our own Chartmetric parent genre system, containing 20 major genres such as “Pop”, “Rock, Punk, Metal” and “Rap & Hip-Hop”.
- And once you pick that, it goes even further with the sub-genre filter, which uses over 1.8K specific genres to really get to the type of sonics you want to discover, such as “Latin jazz” or “electro swing” or if you’re really looking for it, “symphonic black metal”.
- If I narrow down to Rap & Hip-Hop, I get US rapper Gerald Walker as the #1, but if I apply the sub-genre “Alternative Hip-Hop”, I get Benny the Butcher as the #1 with a 21% increase himself in IG followers.
- “What if I’m curious about Australian artists, and I value YouTube the most?”
- That’s what our Artist Country filter is for, which contains virtually all the world’s countries, allowing you to surgically find artists according to the biographical data we have.
- And then you simply click into “YouTube Channel Views”, and there you’ll have neo-psychedelic Aussie band King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard at #1 with a 28% increase in views in the past month.
- What’s a couple of cool things so far that we’ve discovered?
- There’s not a lot of crossover between platforms, which can open up your mind on who is doing best on which platform...and this also provides a way to focus energy once an artist hits that “breaking” threshold: Where do they need to focus their attention next?
- We’d also pay attention to the First Release and Last Release Columns, because a breaking artist doesn’t necessarily mean they’re a new artist.
- For example, Fleetwood Mac’s YouTube channel saw an increase of 6.2M views in the last 30 days and 11.5M in the last 60 days, putting them in the 10th spot, as of Sept. 2.
- Their first release was in the ‘60s.
- If you’re in the catalog game, you’re in luck, but if you’re looking for the next big thing to sign, the first release column can help you move on to other artists quickly.
- Much more to discover as we dig into the data ourselves, but for now, have at it and let us know what you think!
What is How Music Charts?
How Music Charts is the second season of Chartmetric's music industry + data podcast!
Season 1: "Your Music Data Dump" was 107 episodes of 3-minute, current event-focused episodes involving music data.
Season 2: "How Music Charts" is long-form & interview-driven with music industry guests focused on music & data today.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Chartmetric is on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram (@chartmetric)
Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com
Article links and show notes are at: podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data