Trey: Hello and welcome back to another episode of MCU Need to Know a podcast dedicated to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and everything you need to know. I'm Trey.
Jude: I'm Jude. How was your trip Trey?
Trey: Man, it was so good. It was, I was telling you earlier, it feels weird to be back now because we were supposed to be recording about 30 minutes ago. But I think I forgot how to set up my, my recording set up because I had just been in full on vacation mode. Like even though I'm back, I'm not back.
Jude: It's okay. Well it's weird. You came back. No weird, but well,
Trey: It is weird. I came back. I was fleeing the country, so I'm not a great criminal if I came back to the
Jude: scene of the crime. Oh man. So for me, you know, I'm off all week. My school is off our week. The kids have been off all week and he's been off all week. And so it's like, it's weird. Cause I'm like you came back from vacation. To the holidays and being off, but you didn't come back to actually being off. So I know you had today and I know you'll get tomorrow for those we're recording on Thursday, Thanksgiving day in the U S uh, so yeah, so it's so in my head first for a second, it's like he came back from vacation to being off on the holidays, but you actually went,
Trey: oh, no, I went right to work. Uh, you know, I tried to plan it where, where it would be easier at work. Cause it's the slow season for me at work. So things aren't growing as fast. What I didn't anticipate was that I was coming back to a three-day workweek because of Thanksgiving. So these first three days were wild, but luckily we got through it and I got these two days to rest and yeah. And I'm excited to be back, man. I want to say, first of all, thank you to friend Daniel and Amity for joining us or joining you. I should say joining the podcast in the two weeks I was gone, they did a really wonderful job. And thanks to you because those episodes were really good, man. And it was so much fun to get that audio. Perspective of this show.
Jude: Yeah. I'm glad you enjoyed that part because like, I even waited to schedule it for, um, you know, our transition with it. We used transistor and I waited to schedule it. So you wouldn't even be tempted to peak. Uh, I didn't upload any of the audio to the drive, all of my computer, you know? And when I, when I named it on remotely for those I didn't name the episodes, I just named the guest. So even if you looked at the email or anything, I tried to keep it completely in the dark. So when you listened, I totally looked
Trey: at the email. I feel so called
Jude: out.
Trey: Oh man, I will say this though. It was, it was a weird habit when, cause I was over there for one of the Sundays, which Sunday is when I normally am running through all my transistor double checks to make sure everything's scheduled. And it was like, I found myself reflexively, opening, transistor, and being like, Nope, I can't do this. This isn't what I'm supposed to do. And then I came back home on a Sunday, but that Saturday I had it in my head that it was Sunday. So again, I kept like reflexively opening, but uh, but yeah, seriously, a really great job on those episodes. And again, thank you to you and friend Daniel Amity for, for doing this and. Yeah, it was a lot of fun. Yeah. Well, if you downloaded this episode, you know that we are going to be talking about season one episode, one of Hawkeye, and you know, every time we start a new season of the Disney plus shows, it's always fun to reiterate what we do here for any potential new listeners. So the way that we're going to handle this is every episode. This season, we are going to have some pre spoiler thoughts, which is a place for us to discuss the episode without getting into spoilers. So if you're not quite caught up yet, this is a place for you to get a taste of the episode free of spoilers. After we go through those, you'll hear an audio cue, which will bring us into the spoiler zone and it will be fair game for all spoilers once we get there. And the other thing I wanted to make note for those who have been listening, we are now past the shonky threshold. It is now part of the spoiler zone. So any potential discussions may involve that as well
Jude: for new listeners, the threshold, uh, for the, for those movies. So a turtle's a steer books is still. And the spoiler, um, free area, uh, mainly because we're waiting for these movies to hit Disney plus streaming. So
Trey: the way that we handle that is people have a. After, oh, they have a week to watch it once it hits Disney plus. And that's when it will be in the spoiler
Jude: zone. Yeah. And I would say one last thing to new listeners. We're a show like this Hawkeye, um, because of, you know, being Thanksgiving, having two episodes, we probably won't start this full on until about episode three. Although previous listeners know now how we do it, we also will read first reaction responses to episodes that we get out of social media when you reply to our pre spoiler thoughts. So if you want to hear your appreciable, their thoughts at the end, make sure to interact on that end and be on the lookout for the polls again, to vote on episode titles.
Trey: Yeah. So it's going to be a little bit weird this week just because we have two episodes dropping. Uh, but yeah. Good call on that. That will go back to a regular schedule next week. With all of that being said a buckle, then we're going to dive into some Hawkeye season one episode, one, never meet your heroes. So Jude, what are your pre spoiler thoughts for this first? Epic?
Jude: My pre spoiler thoughts. I'm going to start by reading what I sent you. And it's not a hard text to find because I use the spoiler ink. So, because I didn't know if you'd read it if you'd seen it yet. Um, I mean, Thanksgiving is kind of weird our routine of when we watch episodes have been thrown off a little bit. Um, and so for those of you who didn't get to see my response on social media, I'm going to start with that. Hawkeye was a well paced. I'm sorry. It was a well paced blend totally of Netflix is Daredevil in the MCU yet. I already catch myself dreading that'll be two episodes, two shorts. Um, and that's kind of a hold over for some of the other Disney plus shows. The Falcon and the winter soldier low-key and just kind of wanting to more episodes to kind of really. Uh, give them some room to breathe in and do this in and tell her that not that they were bad stories, but to tell their story, uh, otherwise like, I, I really, really enjoyed these, these, um, I think the biggest compliment I can give is wishing I could see episode three.
Trey: Yeah, I feel
Jude: that. Yeah. And you preach for their thoughts.
Trey: Yeah. Playing, uh, I'll I'll follow suit here and read the priest for the thought that I shared on social media with the caveat being that part of mine does pertain episode two, but I'll reiterate that once we get to the second episode coverage, You know, I had this feeling that there's a clunkiness to the episodes, but there's also sincerity and charm that more than makes up for it. Uh, in episode two, there's a particular topic about branding that makes me feel like the clunkiness that I'm feeling may be by design. So I am looking forward to more and looking forward to explaining some of my feelings on that once we get into the spoiler zone. And as far as that feeling of wanting episode three, I think they've done a really good job of wanting to jump you into the next episode, because even the way this one ends is a great lead in for what we get into in episode two. So there, this feels like one of the complaints I had about Falcon in the winter soldier was the, this feels like a movie that's been cut up less so of a series. And this feels like a written for TV show. So yes, it feels, it feels good in that. Natural in that segment. Well, I
Jude: believe this is the first one where we've had multiple
Trey: directors. Oh, see, I didn't even pay attention to that. That's great. See, I
Jude: think, I think moon Knight is going to have multiple directors, but I think this had multiple, multiple directors, like your typical TV show, show runner, multiple directors, and the other three have not.
Trey: That's good to know. And one more point on my preschooler thoughts. Uh, I think another nice thing about this episode is how it unites Kate and Clint through the lens of hero admiration and what that experience is like for the both of them. So another thing that I'm looking forward to, uh, getting into in the spoiler zone. Yeah. Well, unless we got any more, I think we can go ahead and jump in. Yeah, let's do it. All right. Like we said, you're gonna hear an audio cue and on the other side it will be fair game for all spoilers in the MCU. We'll see you on the other side. And we're back. So another way that we do this is once we're into the spoiler zone and we're going to be breaking the episode down into the most important topics. This is a way for us to kind of parse through the episode while not necessarily going scene by scene, but hitting the highest points and branching off wherever we need to. So the first point I want to make is I'm so happy to be able to do the most important topics again, after taking a break from what if with that? And yeah, it's just, it was so fun to sit down and try and break this episode down that way. And the second point being the most important topic we're going to start with now is simply Kate Bishop. So this will be the section for us to discuss the way they've introduced this character and how she has proceeded through this episode in her standalone scenes. So Jude, where would you like to start within this section?
Jude: I'm got distracted and I'm going to start somewhere completely different and I'll come back. I said the thing about the directors and I just wanted to check it is, um, the, the same director for the first two episodes. And this director looks like it's doing episode six and there's another director doing the other, basically. So your episode one and two and six have the same director. Okay. And then the bookend of three, four, and five will have the same director. So it's only two directors and they're
Trey: doing that. Well, you know what? I was going to save this for stray thoughts, but I'll throw this in here while we're here at the top. Did you notice this? I think is the first time we saw a Kevin flakey production.
Jude: I
Trey: didn't notice that. I think it's the first time I've never seen it before, but it definitely stood out to me during this one. Yeah. I
Jude: didn't notice that, you
Trey: know, it's good. He's finally getting some recognition.
Jude: He was just, you know what, it's part of our listener base. Right? Kevin he needs the recognition that the rest of them get right well-deserved recognition. Uh, no. So to jump back on the topic, um, I love. The first well, okay. So I had some weird things with Kate's first sequence, but the sequence where we have the older Kate, right. Where she's shooting off the arrow at the bell tower clock tower. Yep. Okay. That sequence, I really, really loved how so it was one of those things that. I felt like it to go back to our devil Daredevil days. I feel like it was very economical. Like we learned a lot about Kate Bishop right there. This went to pick the lock, but couldn't and was able to climb the bill, the building. Right. Um, we found very quickly like, okay, she's fearless. Um, she's accomplished with a boat. Uh, willing to take risks, you know? And so, and so those first few moments we learned a lot of this character, uh, we just, again, subtle things of just actions of picking the locks. So it's like, okay, you know what you're doing? But even though you didn't do it, you're right. You know that wasn't going to stop you. Uh, so that, that's one thing I really liked about this character or, and how they showed us this character in the beginning.
Trey: Yeah, I definitely, yeah. I agree with you in the ways that this episode has been economical. You know, I keep coming back to this feeling of clunkiness. I will play off of what you said, but I want to establish this first based on that scene of her climbing the middle. She definitely should have just been admiring Scott laying, I think a little more than Hawkeye. Cause she climbed up just as fast as he did in the first ant man movie. And to go to bat for her, if the bell and that tower is destroyed from one arrow, I don't think that's on her OSHA needs to get involved here with this school and what's going on with this building?
Jude: Hmm. I want to say you're wrong, but honestly, I don't know if I can write like one. It does you're right. It does feel like one big strong gust of wind. Yeah. Moves that thing. But see, at that point, at that point, it's an act of God. Right. Like, like, and I, and I, and I don't see that like jokingly it's like the insurance language, you know, store and act of God kind of thing versus like a person doing it. Um, it's very different.
Trey: And if we went a good technical, technically two arrow, she hit the bell and then she hit the draw.
Jude: Well, it was a safety cord and she cut the cord. And
Trey: I don't know, I just want it on the record. I am going to bat for Kate Bishop here, but uh, no going, getting back on topic, you know, you, you brought up being economical. There is a scene later on where Kate is speaking to her mother, Eleanor, and they're talking about going to the charity event and it's the. Um, playful back and forth between Eleanor being the mother role and also being the I'm your friend role. And there's a line where Kate says something like, you know, I, I got, oh, no, I'm sorry. It's the mother Eleanor says you got your black belt at 18 and or 15. And that felt like it stood out a little bit the way. They demonstrate characterization better is in the subtlety of the moms saying like, okay, well you just go put on that red dress and meet me at the event. Next scene, we see she's in that black suit that I think speaks more to Kate's character than some of those clunky lines that they're throwing into, which I can use the circle is back to the very beginning of the episode with the, and I'll cut them some slack because child actors, you know, there there's a range of skill there, but you know, they're dead. They're trying, there was a scene where young Kate was like, I need a bow and arrow. And there was something about that line that just stood out to me too, of like, okay, I don't know if, um, this is working for me, but I'm giving it a long runway. If that makes sense.
Jude: I know that I get that. Uh, I mean, I mean the whole setup for her character was interesting. Um, you know, like, like I get it, you're that little kid in your witnesses event and you see. This person fighting. Right. And, and that becomes your hero, right? Like I want to be that person. So I get that. And so for me, the whole, I want a bow and arrow didn't I want to bow in here. That whole line made sense. I think the time and place at dad's funeral was weird. If that makes sense. Like that's the clunk. Yeah. And it's, and it's your yeah. And that I can totally get, cause it there's an element of, well, if you add an extra scene for just that long. Elsewhere, you get some more character development, but you're eating into runtime and is more efficient just to find a way to do it here, you know? And so I get that the, in the choices. Um, so yeah, so I dunno, it goes back and forth and I just found it interesting that that whole. I honestly, that whole not being able to find her parents, I thought it was weird because in my head that's going on. I'm like, where are my kids? You know? Uh, I'm I'm like immediately where my kids were looking for the kids kind of, kind of thing. And so not being able to find the parents, I thought it was weird. Um, and the first watch, I was really expecting Kate to wake up from a dream or in like, or like in some therapy session, recalling childhood memories. Um, and, and that's okay that, that didn't happen. And this next thought is that larger episode thought. But, but you know, the, the, the going back to this moment and what that means for the universal and whole, I think is, is something worth exploring, um, in a, in another topic episode,
Trey: Okay. You know, I, I do want to say something positive. Cause I feel like I am being a little critical of the 2012 perspective. Something I really enjoyed is the way, you know, they, they put the 2012 timestamp at the very beginning of that episode. So you immediately will connect that to the Avengers, but I thought they did a pretty good job of taking away that fear that I have and really enveloping the. Family life. Like by the time, like I had almost forgotten about it and till we see the tuttare fly by the window, and I thought they did a very good job of making you feel that sense of security and then ripping it out from under you in such a short timeframe. But the thing that I want to put the most praise on is the interaction between Kate and her dad was full of sincerity that echos the way Clint treated Wanda and age of Ultron, where they have that famous scene where Hawkeye says, like, if you step out that door, you're an Avenger. And essentially mimicking what Kate's dad says about. The only thing we control is the choices we make in the face of uncertainty. So I thought if these are characters that are going to be linked up together, it is very wonderful that the foundation for which Kate stands on is that the choices we make in the face of uncertainty and it feels like it's primed to. Pair her with Clint.
Jude: Yeah, no, that's, that's a really good, uh, catch there. Um, I there's a review. I didn't read because I wanted to do this first. I want to go back to it. And it mentioned, um, Hawkeye superpower who is being a dad. And that was the headline. I was like, oh, that looks fascinating. I want to read that. Um, I haven't read it. But, but that reminds me of you starting that relationship. They built with Wanda, their relationship to the dad relationship. Or as my oldest would say, oh, it's another NCU, another dad show. Um, it was their first reaction at the start of Chung G like, like who is that as well? That's his dad. Oh yeah. But like, that's, you know, that's, uh, uh, that's a good catch though. Like, like you have that, uh, that drive in that memory, um, and it's kind of fitting, you know, the title of the show never meet your heroes. Right. Um, cause you, you, um, God, I'm going to get off topic for just a moment. Same thing with miss Marvel. I'm curious to what they do because in the comic she's a superhero fan loves captain Marvel. Uh, Carol Danvers and has a moment in the comic where it's like, I built up Carol Danvers to be this. And I finally get to meet them and was like, oh, you're a human, you have human problems. You're not just a super superhero. Uh, and, and so I, and I, and it's interesting that that buildup of like, that they're doing with a lot of different characters towards Clint, but Kate in particular of building Hawkeye Clint into this. And he's just like, dude, I just, you mess things up for me. I want to go to my family.
Trey: You know, I want to add one more thing, uh, by circling back towards Kate and Eleanor, I really enjoy their dynamic. I talked about it a little bit where it feels like Eleanor, who is played by a Vera for Minga, who was an incredible actor. Uh, she has a great job of going between the I'm your mother, but I can also be your friend role, like not in a way that feels patronizing and really feels like us a flip back and forth as needed for whatever moment has come forward. And in particular, the line that I really enjoyed was about how young people and rich people both feel invincible. And you have been both your entire life. I haven't, you're not invincible. I thought that was a really good way to kind of put Kate in her place in such a firm manner. And I thought that was really well done.
Jude: Yeah. I really liked that, especially because it was a payoff moment for something that happened within the opening seconds, you know, they're, they're talking about when I say they, uh, Kate's parents back in 2012, over the argument is over money and she was to sell the penthouse. And it's clear through that argument that they can't struggling with finances, not being able to afford it. And so that line, I think of now don't get me wrong, like prices of New York and the place that they had makes me wonder what kind of money struggles they had just cause like, like, was it nefarious in other words that, you know what I mean? Just cause like, you know, reality, they had a really big house, you know, and
Trey: it's like, we gotta sell the penthouse. Here's my tiny violin.
Jude: Yeah. Um, but it, but it did kind of clue me in of like, okay, you know, this is character shut up. Maybe is it something nefarious that there we gotta get out of this. Um, but that whole issue of money wanting to sell the penthouse. Um, I think that, that this moment here of saying, Hey, I have not always been rich was a payoff from this, you know, and just kind of her dry. To, to have these things and to have a certain life coming off of the, those events of 2012 and that argument it's very
Trey: grounding. Yes. For all the characters involved. Yes. And the final thing I want to say about the relationship, we have a moment at the charity event where our Monda third, who is as subtle as a brick drops, the news that Eleanor and Jack are engaged, and Kate is incredibly upset about this and she'd storms up to her mom and her mom asks, is there any part of you that could be happy for me? And despite the fact that she's so upset, she's puts aside her anger is like, yes, yes. And you know, I'm sorry. So even though they're clearly at odds, there's still a strong enough relationship that they can express their dissatisfaction with each other and still move forward. And, uh, that feels like a really healthy relationship.
Jude: Kinda okay. Oh, well, I mean, there is an element of like, that's not the best way to find out your mom's engaged.
Trey: Nope. And it's not the best way to handle it, either Kate storms up,
Jude: but they weren't yet they worked through it in the moment. You're right. So we'll see.
Trey: Yeah. I got some predictions that will make this seem obsolete by the time we get to,
Jude: so we'll see.
Trey: Oh man. Well, I think that's going to do it for our Kate Bishop section. So, uh, I'm gonna go ahead and move us into the next, most important topic, which is. Clint Barton, the titular character himself. This section is going to be to describe all his scenes, the characterizations that they're doing with them here, specifically with his trips to the Rogers musical, uh, his scenes with his family, and eventually getting wrapped up in the mess of the suit. So starting with me this time, I think the clear place to start is the musical man, what a disturbing and uncanny depiction of the events of the 2012 movie. And it's such a weird contrast, which I mean, it's for effect, but it's such a weird contrast in the way the episode opens up in 2012 and we see the harsh realities of what Kate has experienced. And then we come to the present and somebody who was there with Clint is having to relive this through. It's not, it's not even disrespectful. It's just tasteless, I guess, is the word I'm looking for. But. When I think about it in essence, the audience in that room is no different than us and the entertainment value that they got from, from these quote unquote real events. But it's a wild perspective to be pushed out of that. Once you're sitting there with Hawkeye watching this, if that makes sense.
Jude: Okay. How many years removed is this music? From those events?
Trey: Uh, it was 2012 and it's oh, and world is 2012 and they're at 20, 24 now.
Jude: So math that's 10, 23 years. Yeah. Um, the movie world trade center came out in 2006. Yeah.
Trey: Yeah, I know. So when somebody,
Jude: and what, when did United 93 come out?
Trey: Oh, I'm not sure. Apparently there is a, a musical about nine 11 tier, which it's not necessarily strictly about nine 11, but it's a big framing device for
Jude: that musical. Yeah. Both of, both of those United 93 in world trade center came out in 2006. So it's just you're right. And it's interesting commentary. I think of like what we do with media. What is appropriate time, you know, I mean, cause the destruction of that and the, of that incident, putting ourselves in world, how far removed until you start doing, what cultures do you tell your stories of heroes, you memorialize them, you know, um, in, in various ways. And so, you know, especially with the Sokovia Accords and you know, staying in world and there's this whole. You know, is there a pushback? Is there not? And so that I find really fascinating. Um, what I do like that they did with this was they were able to with sound show how Barton was feeling and, you know, and have this. Cause you think like he's having like this PTSD moment watching this and he kind of is, but he's also tuning it out literally. You know, and have this ridiculousness. And so I just loved how they, how they did that, you know, and how he's like that guy wasn't even there. Like, you know, and it's funny, cause he's the one that got hit man and brought him to Germany. He was like, he would know for sure he wasn't even there.
Trey: And you know, you know, that's a detail that would be stretched for a drama to station just to make it fit, to get as many people in there as you could.
Jude: Oh
Trey: yeah. But you know, and I want to highlight, you talked about how they used sound to show as a where Clint Barton is emotionally, even the way they get us there. Textually the song has aligned when it says like, and with ant man, you won't hear a sound and it's it fades out on that part. And that's where we get the revelation that Clint has turned off his earpiece. Yeah, it's it's really well done. And another thing they're doing here, not only in the sense of this is a tragedy that has been turned into a play. And here is somebody who was there having to relive it through this fantastical depiction. He's having to face seeing Natasha and seeing this little girl that's dressed up, like her, seeing her dance on the stage from the actor. And it's, it's hard, man. It's, it's so good at communicating what Clint can't because he is calloused and hiding. I think what he's actually feeling from the
Jude: outside, it's all those layers and protection to get to his heart. Yeah. Cause he has poor branding. Um, no, like what it really reminded me of was. Avatar the last Airbender, when they're hiding out on Ember island and they go watch the Ember island players. The third to last episode, I think of the entire series. And they're watching the Ember island players do a play of them. And they're like, that's not what I look like. Is it? I don't act this way too. And then they're like, the play must be over. They caught up to. Where we are now and it keeps going and it shows, you know what the screenwriters, I'm going to say this. Cause I don't want to spoil this cause it's one of the best episodes of the series. And that's saying something because last time I ever tried last year, bender is a fantastic series. Actually. I'm just gonna go out on that limb. I think it's the best cartoon. Cartoons period. Um, oh man, that's tough. That's tough. Well, we haven't seen what I've come to is completion and not enough can never come to its completion because of the multi-verse. Um, you know, so at least the last Airbender is in a contained space. Um, but yeah, like it it's just, and you see those characters kind of seeing themselves and they're just like, what? So yeah, this was reminded me a lot of that.
Trey: That's a really good call. Yeah. It's different because I think from what I remember that one was played more for comedic effect. I know there is meaning to be derived from it, but it is more humorous. And this one I think, was used to show where Clint's at, but I'm so glad you made that connection.
Jude: Well, yeah, I mean, this is Disney. And MCU, PG 13, you know, the other one was a Nickelodeon show free with a demographic of kids. Although if you watch it, they did a really good job of tackling some things for a kid show.
Trey: So I have one more question about the musical. Why did they go? Like who was the driving force for them going to that musical? Because it didn't seem like the kids were all that interested. Clearly. Clint was not in the right head space. That seemed like an interesting choice on the Barton's
Jude: family. I think it was one of those things where it's like we're in New York or doing New York things as tourist at Christmas time. What do you do? You go see a musical. I'm not familiar enough with New York. So we'll have to ask around. It felt off-Broadway rather than actually on Broadway. I don't know, you know, in terms of like musical house and theater house and stuff, uh, just looking at the setting, but I don't know enough to like, recognize like what they were trying to, to show. Cause I think at the theater musical theater world, that that actually makes a difference, you know, in terms of prestige and stuff. Again, I'm way out of my depth here. That's to my very vague knowledge of, of that. Uh, so I had to ask around and check cause it, cause it does it, it would convey a particular, uh, messages. Well, depending on where it's at, uh, that I just don't know, but I would, that's my guess is they're doing the touristy.
Trey: I gotcha. That makes, and that makes sense because they even have that like, all right, we're in New York, it's Christmas, what do you want to do? Hey, let's go see the Christmas tree. And so like, they are checking off lists of things to do together as a
Jude: family. It's a list of things to do and you check them off. Yeah. That's a very terrible way to look at Christmas. I just about to
Trey: say, you know, it's a little divorced from the emotion and the sincerity, but I get it in essence. That's what it is. You know, I want to say, I love the Barton family so much. Like I, you know, you brought up earlier. Well, they all are the same, pretty much.
Jude: We have Christmas. They are. It's a wonderful life. How the Grinch stole Christmas and diehard. Exactly the same stuff.
Trey: Diehard is the exception. It's like everything sucks. Oh, we found her holiday spirit. Everything's
Jude: better. It does follow the Christmas formula. See everything sucks. John McClain with everything's better.
Trey: That's American style. Oh man. We got to do a Christmas day theme somehow kidding. Oh my God. I don't know if you heard my point. I just wanted to say I'm so glad you brought up that the title of that review was Hawkeye superpowers. Being a dad. Jeremy Renner does such a great job of creating that loving father persona. He, he has created a family unit that is believable on the screen, I think.
Jude: Well, okay. The LARPing scene was fantastic. Wait that's episode 10 episode two.
Trey: Okay. That's fine. Hey, this is what in the business we call a tease stick around for our next episode. Yes, but if you, if you want to make your point, go ahead. I mean, at this point, I
Jude: think I'm going to hang on to it. That's a tease. Okay. You'll find episode.
Trey: You know what, with all that being said, now that we have detailed the characterization of Kate Bishop, the characterization of Clint Barton, that's going to bring us into our next most important topic, which is hero admiration. There is a theme within this episode where we are seeing a theme between these two characters in the way that they have experienced here admiration. So we want to take this time in this section to detail that. So Jude, is there anywhere you'd like to start in this section?
Jude: Yes. I found it interesting. The contrast between Hawkeye and Falcon and the winter soldier, both textually and extra textual. How so? Whereas in text Falcon that winter soldier, Sam couldn't get alone, but Barton has like his expensive meal paid for, for saving the city and. So in MCU world, those are two very different reactions to two Avengers and extra textural. How the show runners and writers decided to portray those characters, like in Falcon, in the winter soldier, we're going to take the route of, yeah. I don't care that your hero was real world's real world and let's play up. I play up not the right word, but let's tackle our, just be honest about race and ramifications. Um, whereas this is a portrayal of this hero admiration in this from, from a city for being part of this, um, the 2012 attack on New York. And so I thought it was really interesting that to, to have those two, to kind of contrast those.
Trey: Yeah, 100%. It makes me wonder if it was intentional or not. Like if there was any coordination between creative teams in the way that they have depicted these scenes. Cause it. Say a lot about the troubles that Sam faced in trying to get that loan and how far the status of his, his Avenger status got him versus what we see happen here with Hawkeye, um, repeatedly within this episode. Um, and I don't know, I don't know if we'll ever get an answer about that, but they are saying a lot intentional or not. Right.
Jude: Well, and you have an element of Sam not enjoying it, but like he enjoyed it, you know, it's like, yeah, I'm a hot guy, just a little bird flap with his hand, not Hawkeye Falcon, they both birds, but you know what, he does a little hand flap with his hand, but like, like there's an element of him embracing it. Um, whereas like Clint is Hawkeye is really just trying to be like, no, like I, you don't have to do this. And, and, and I don't want to say humble and arrogant because I don't think. Sam was arrogant about it in any way, you know, I think it was like, honestly, I think it was this weird space of this, a good space, but a weird space of this proper pride, right? Like, like I'm not being arrogant, but I'm not being humble. Yeah. Cause I did that. You know what I mean? Um, whereas clinch just like now it's a day, it's a day at the office, leave me alone. Um, and, and so, so it's two very different ways to portray that, uh, from a character standpoint. Um, and I, and I think it's fine. Right. And there different characters they're going to handle it differently. So that's why I say like textually it's interesting, but I found it more interesting of how the, the outside world treating an Avenger, you know, and, and that has, that's a conscious choice on the writers and showrunners and you know, what. That like you run into an Avenger and you want a selfie, but celebrities have been around a long time before the Avengers showed up, asking someone for a selfie urinal like that should you should just know that that's not what you do. So
Trey: this, obviously this is not my story, but I'm a big fan of rooster teeth. One of the podcast hosts, it's an internet celebrity, Gus Serola 100% had this experience. He talked about somebody following them into the bathroom, asking for a photo or a signature or something and how creeped out he was by that. So this happens and it's so weird. So, so
Jude: weird. The last time I did something like that was, it was really weird. Um,
Trey: you really got to set this up quicker cause you can't just say the last time I did that after setting up, going into the bathroom, asking somebody for
Jude: an audit. Yeah, no, I, it just dawned on me, as I said that the last time I did something like that, that meaning approaching. Um, what would made it awkward on a hundred percent? What made it awkward was it's the summer of like, like we're talking July, maybe August, somewhere in there of 2020. So when you, when you think about COVID and where we're at, I'm out in public and I get the opportunity to meet this person and I'm just like, do I say something? Do I not I'm wearing a mask. He's not like, you know what I mean? And so, yeah. So that's one of the things that made it awkward. Now I'm a hundred percent honest. Like I was like, yeah, COVID be damned. I'm going to go up and ask him to shake his hand. I'm not going to go into the complete details why, but, but, and I had, my, my reasons were, it was just like, okay, so I'm going to do this anyways. Um, but it was, it was awkward. It was just like, even in the normal just stores, like you're here shopping. I happen to walk into the right store at the right time. Yeah. You know,
Trey: can you say who it was or no. Were you trying to dance around that?
Jude: I will say this. Cause I, I think, I think if I say who it was, it's might be a little too much location. Okay. Thanks. But I will say it was a 1970s cowboy Dallas cowboy. Oh, okay.
Trey: Okay. I'll say that. Okay. That's fine. I won't prod. Did I ever tell you about where I learned to swear off ever asking to meet somebody I admire is a celebrity. No.
Jude: I
Trey: got God, this is embarrassing. I got the chance to meet Dan Harmon
Jude: told me about this. I have, yeah.
Trey: Oh God. So I had the chance to meet him. He did a show in Houston for his podcast called Harmontown and it was just after God, this gets so much worse. It was just after I had completed a, of a script that I was writing and the whole reason I had like the inspiration to continue, it was because of community and finding his, his, uh, books on writing, where he basically distilled the hero's journey into an even simplified form. So he, he was a huge inspiration. And so as he was finishing the show, he was standing to the side, getting autographs and pictures and whatnot. And I got in line. And I had that script with me was not going to give it to him. I just wanted him to sign it as like, you know, and say, Hey, like, thanks for, for being you without you. I never would have finished this. And this means a lot to me, even if it goes nowhere, what happened is I got up there and I was so nervous and I was like, I love you. And I'm nothing without you. And there was just this really awkward, awkward feeling. And he took the script and he wrote nice title, psych Tim Harmon. And I was just like dead
Jude: for weeks. Well, you know, if something like that happened, In any of his stuff since then, the inspiration for that scene.
Trey: I got to find a picture of that script and take a picture of it. Cause I just have nice title psych Dan. Yes, please
Jude: do that. So, no, I will, I will say this. It was, it was a couple of weeks after my stepdad had passed away and my stepdad was a huge fan of this person. And so it was one of those things where it's like, I, I have to ask, you know, uh, did you say hi, I recognize that you shake your hand, you know? Um, cause it was just, the timing was. Just right. If that, if that makes sense. Um, so yeah, you know, um, and then awkwardly again, I work at a private school, so there's like parents of like famous kids locally, or like, not the kids aren't famous, but like their parents are locally that go there and like parent teacher conference comes around and then there's an element of like, you're famous. Great. But kidney's turned into his work. Uh, you know, it's like, it's like you see them on a level of like, like you're used to seeing them as a celebrity when you see them on a level of like, at the time a parent teacher conference with this person, I like the kid with the kid won't turn in work. Um, it makes it so much easier when their kid does
Trey: the example of the, the rich and the young thinking they're
Jude: so, yeah. You know, now. It's not difficult to separate like in the classroom completely, not just professional. Well, not even that, you know, I mean, there's an element of, um, I, I don't want to get too far off track here, but there is an element of like, even with the kids, you know, even, even with the NOC kids, with the non-famous parents, if that makes sense that have. And an older sibling that comes through the school. It's like, I try to make this separation of like, you're your own person. You're not in your sibling shadow, you know? And so I might ask once and the first day, oh, you're related to this person, how are they doing in college? You know? Um, because I teach upperclassmen and after that, I'm like, let it go. Um, yeah, but there's so many times that like, I didn't even know that kid's parents were like a celebrity until parent teacher conferences. They come like literally one time, I was like, oh dude, look, he's walking around. And like 20 minutes later, he's coming in. Oh, it didn't put together the child's last name for the same, like I had no idea. Uh, so yeah, so it's, it's not actually hard to do. Um, and, but again, there's this weird awkwardness there too, so,
Trey: well, you know, speaking of the weird awkwardness. I want to circle back to the episode where I can detail the core of what I like about Clint and Kate's dynamics so far, you know, we've detailed the awkwardness that came from the fan who wanted the, um, the autograph in the, or the selfie in the bathroom. We talked about how Clint was trying to have a normal family dinner and he couldn't even get away from it. There it's such an interesting dynamic that we see the flip side of that, where Kate was inspired by Hawkeye's actions in a more sincere way. There's not novelty to it in a way. Which I'll cut some slack to the waiter. Maybe it's just a restaurant that wants to do like, Hey, you know, you saved our city. Thanks. But there's a novelty. I think what the person who just wants to selfie cause at the end of the day, you know, what's, it's just proof that you saw that person, but for Kate, it is real inspiration. And what Clint is wrestling with here is that the legend has out shined the reality, which is always a very interesting place, I think, for the heroes to play in just like an a on a meta level. And that is the defense mechanism that is keeping Kate at bay from Clint or Clint, keeping Kate at bay, I should say that's a better way to phrase that. And so that's just such a great dynamic for them to work together through.
Jude: Yeah. With Ms. Marvel. I just want to, I know this is, trust me, this isn't off topic. Uh, there's a YouTube channel that I really like a lot called nerd sync. Um, and he has. This thing on Ms. Marvel, that and the Ms. Marvel comics. Fantastic. And I like seeing the MCU playing with this in, in this space with Clint. Um, and again, like a little bit with Sam green has this whole video on miss Marvel and parasocial relationships. This idea that you have a relationship with somebody you don't know through that interaction through. Interaction through social media or just simply watching them, um, some pair of social relationships, uh, like watching them on YouTube or watching them through movies and interviews, Ted Harmon, you know, like some kind of content and you feel like, you know them, um, it works for like Gandalf, right? Like I read these books over and over and I feel like Gandalf's my mentor. Dumbledore is my mentor, Sirius black. Obiwan like insert that there. And it can be a healthy thing, this escapism. Right. And having that, that peer social type relationship. Um, but it can also be unhealthy. And in some ways, when it's a real life person and then you get to meet them because you've been, you've built them up and like that, that's one of the things that Ms. Marvel. Uh, Kamala Khan does and Russell's with, and the comic as a fan of superheroes. And so I really like, and I can give you the link, so we make sure that's in the show notes. It's a really good video, but I like that. Um, that's what they're wrestling with. Right? You have these elements of like, and I wasn't trying to call out the waiter or the restaurant owner. Cause there's an element of like, this is your business. You did this for the city on the house. Like I get that. That's pretty, that's pretty appropriate. But then you have the other reaction of, oh my gosh, it's you let me take a selfie kind of thing. Um, we're definitely calling that out. Yeah. And, but, but they showed both ends, like the more subtle kind of, Hey, you saved the city and my business. Yeah. You know, to the like cool fan boy moment that like, I might get caught up in. If I, you know, it's like, oh my gosh, you're Paul Rudd. You know, take a, take a screenshot, the sexiest man alive, apparently at the time of this recording, according to time magazine. So
Trey: let's make sure we got that.
Jude: Yeah, but I mean, like he might have that kind of reaction. Um, you know, and so I liked that they gave us both ends of that spectrum. Yeah. For you'd be Chris Evans.
Trey: Oh one nine. The percent that I might break my rule for captain America. Yeah.
Jude: It's T for that, I was, I was, I would say I was saving this for straight thoughts. I was going to say it right now. I really want to see a live reaction video of Chris Evans watching that musical number.
Trey: Yes. That has to happen, right? No. He's probably distancing, distancing himself from the MC for the
Jude: time being at Chris Evans at Twitter, we'll tweet out.
Trey: We just talked about Paris halls. Oh
Jude: man. Well, that was a doozy. You know what? You're right. I don't know. Chris. I'll get in touch with Kevin.
Trey: Yeah. Yeah. That's the, we'll talk to you. I'll mention it in the Christmas card. Well, I think that's going to wrap up the hero admiration section, which is going to bring us to our last most important topic, which is the auction. So this is going to really detail everything going on with the black market auction, the ensuing action set pieces through the discovery of our month's death and the end of the episode where Clint and Kate finally meet up. So starting with me this time. I just really want to highlight how resourceful Kate is, especially as somebody like they did such a great job of showing well, they did it through the opening title credits, where they showed her through all those training montages, all the trophy, she was winning, all the things that she's been doing since she was a little girl. She is somebody that has trained after being spurned from the 2012 events. So it isn't a surprise that she handles herself so well, both in combat and installed, but it is really fun to watch the way that she uses her tuxedo as a way to blend in with all the other waiters or is able to. Stay cool in the moment and flip the distraction onto people who have caught her. So for example, whenever she gets caught by Gary and she's like, that's the problem, Gary, I quit. And she just walks away. She's such a great, great character in this MCU.
Jude: It's so resourceful. It's like, yeah, it's, that's another sequence where we learned a lot. And it's interesting. Cause cause you have that, the typical shot of like in the beginning of like, oh, here's all your trophies and here's your other metal and, and, and how the metal was meeting. You know, it's like, look, here's another one. And the younger ones is the one that, that she was really proud of. And that one scene when she came home from college, but that sequence was great because they showed the resourcefulness of being able to get back there. This that's the problem, Gary, you don't even know my name. I'm like, you can just see that, like, it wasn't just like the training. She was self-training, but it was really to be at Avenger. It wasn't just like, I want to know how to shoot a bow and arrow, or I want to do this. Like it, like, it was actual like something she was able to put to use, which was really cool.
Trey: Yeah. I think that's a great way to put it. It isn't just, these are interests. She has, she has this feeling. I need to protect the people I love. Like that was her origin story at the beginning. Opening. And it's on display
Jude: now. And the sequence was fantastic. Like they had Carol, the bells playing in the background. So you still have that Christmas feeling and holiday feel, but Carol of the bells and the version they were playing of, it gave it this sense of tension and suspense as well. She was following her mind, um, the third and that's important. Yeah. Well, we gotta keep, I was wondering if it's, if that was like Armand, the third is Trey. Yeah. Why don't we call him on the seventh? I mean, clearly in their family, it's just Armand. What is it like? And anyways, um, I'm just, just anyways, I'm just curious.
Trey: I'm I'm I'm trying to figure out what do you call the seventh enough?
Jude: Enough that's enough. Oh my gosh. That secrets really guts. You did. Okay, I'm sorry. No, I mean, the SQL was really good. We learned more about Kate her. We're able to see that the training was able to put it into some kind of action. Uh, we get to see how capable she is. Um, you know, and, and to be honest, like, oh, this whole episode, and I could see why they, they, they dropped two in the same. It was, was a lot of setup at this time. Yeah. You know, I mean, both in establishing who these characters are individually and where they're at, but also stuff that, you know, well, we hope is going to be paid off in the next four episodes.
Trey: So, you know, shifting gears here in this auction section, I don't know if maybe you have some speculations, but we don't have enough textual evidence, but where do you think they're getting this stuff for the auction? Because it's some pretty like, was there no one guarding the Avengers compound after in game because that's some pretty high classified stuff. You had the Ronan suit, you had the sword and you had the watch, which is from the Avengers compound as well. I didn't, I got this from Reddit. People were speculating that maybe it was Tony's watch, I think from civil war that he used to defend himself against Bucky, how are they getting a hold
Jude: of all of this? That's interesting. I didn't think of the watch because one of my notes was who's doing the wrong. I don't think that's clear yet. They were looking for a watch what watch, but also in particular, my thought, my position, I'm just going to read from my note that talking about the sword and Ronan suit that should have been with the department of damage control. So who did this auction? And like, like you said, how did they get their hands on? It was this like an inside job. Because as far as I understand, you know, this department of damage control, that wreckage stuff should have went to them, right.
Trey: Dealing under the table.
Jude: And what's the skull. Like I just, I just took the skull. Like the watch has to be something, cause you specifically hear the dialogue and they were breaking into this. So I'm really hoping that it was something and not just a momentarily MacGuffin just to show off her skills. Right. And, uh, and to set off the quest of, of getting the suit back, um, which it was interesting. Cause it was all enough to suit Barton. Didn't know about the sword. Oh yeah. He didn't, he was always looking for the suit. He didn't know about the sword. So I think he's, you know, he will find out about the sword I'm assuming, but, and so like, I didn't think much about the watch. I just thought it was like, oh, we had some random skull. Why are they looking for the watch? What is the watch? Um, But it was very specific dialogue, so that's probably gonna mean something later. Um, yeah, I'd imagine. Okay. I have, I have my speculation now on who's doing all this. I got it. Go ahead. Do I do it now or do I wait? It's
Trey: up to you. I know we're not doing predictions until episode two, but if you want to throw it in now you can dealer's choice. I
Jude: am going to do my second tease for episode of who I think is behind the robbery or if not, the. And not the robbery actually, let me be clear, not behind the robbery, but behind who was able to get the stuff for auction. Okay.
Trey: Well, I just want to clarify the robbery was the tracksuit mafia, because they were saying bro, a lot before that door
Jude: open. See, I didn't, I didn't get that, that, that was the tracksuit
Trey: mafia. And I think one of them lifts the mask, I guess, I guess so.
Jude: Yeah. Yeah. Okay. I didn't get to the robbery was from what I saw the tracksuit mafia, the robbery felt too sophisticated, so that's hard to think why. I don't think that that's why I put those two together.
Trey: Oh, that's fantastic. Well, we'll, we'll get to those teases in the next recording. Uh, circling. We've got to talk about our Monda third's death, all signs in my opinion, are pointing towards Jack as the killer, but gathering my grains of sand. I don't know if I want to believe it because it feels a little too obvious. Are you out there with me on this sand hill? Or am I alone? I can lay out my reasonings.
Jude: It's it's definitely a small hill at this point. Cause, cause it's one of those things. I'm not sure if they are misdirecting with the obvious or again, the problem I think of having six episodes versus eight I've, we've seen two of six episodes now in terms of being economical, we got to get things moving, you know? And so it feels like an obvious assumption. So for example, one of my notes, again, I'm going to get and use this now rather than stray thoughts was for me, it wasn't clear. Um, why Kate didn't like Jack? Um, I know he's creepy and I know we're supposed to feel that he's creepy, but I didn't get it. We don't know enough of that relationship that like, clearly she knew Jack and doesn't approve of this marriage and this person. And, but I don't know. Yeah. Like I I've had the point of view of Kate it's. I don't know why, if that makes sense. And so in that sense, like I'm trusting as a viewer, I have to trust Kate and through Kate's eyes, he suspicious, he likes swords. This person was. Um, killed by a sword and we have the knowledge that, um, I, what was I going to say? Uh, oh, the Jack links sorts. Yeah. You know, so in that sense, like it can be setting us up for Mr. Lee and Mr. Action, or it could be just, Hey, what's the most economical way to get through this?
Trey: It's the PowerBroker problem where, or maybe I shouldn't say problem. Cause I guess it did work for some people, but it's where we, we spent the whole scenes, like, I don't know, it seems too obvious. And we got the hinges like, well, I guess it was the obvious, like sometimes it
Jude: just is that. Yeah. And, and we felt like they missed out on doing some things with the PowerBroker for the sake of the surprise that they didn't hide very well. Yeah. And it, and it makes you wonder what Jack, like, which is this going to be.
Trey: So I'll lay out my reasoning and I'll play off by what you said about the point of view of Kate. I think it is because of the point of view of Kate that I'm leaning towards Jack not being as suspicious as they want to want us to believe. Just because I think the tension is coming from the new stepdad, um, antagonism that could be fairly or unfairly placed upon him from her perspective. And it almost feels in that Spider-Man homecoming way of like, Hey, you know, I got the bad guys, I gotta just catch them, do this. And then, you know, it's as simple as that. And then he stumbles into the very, and realizes that it was an FBI sting operation and he just kinda ended up like messing up the whole thing, but he jumped the gun with his evidence. And that's what it feels like with Kate here. And so the ways in which they are prodding us about Jack being the suspect here is, you know, he makes the joke about the inheritance with Armanda third. Uh, there's some very high tension. Uh, the sword, as they're both trying to bid for it. And then the, the motive with Armanda third threatening his fiance, Eleanor, that seems like a probable cause for wanting to do that. But there's one scene and member, when I said, hold on until I get to some predictions where it may seem like my point about Eleanor's moot when we see Eleanor and Armanda third arguing, we come in when our mind says I've got powerful friends too, you know? And so what we didn't hear in what I'm assuming is Eleanor was threatening him as well. So, because that seems like a very, that seems like a response to a threat to me. Yes.
Jude: I don't know.
Trey: So I'm thinking Eleanor is going to be our switcheroo
Jude: here. Yeah. Well, and they want it even they're like you were outside of the room, like you said, you had Kate Bishop's point of view, but even the camera was set up to where you couldn't see them. Clearly. It was like kinda the door was halfway. Um, so you were clearly only meant to hear half of a conversation, both like audibly and visually you only got half of it.
Trey: Um, so the last thing I want to bring up before we get out of this section is there's a moment after the explosion, after Kate has put on the Ronan suit where our mind, the third and Jack are being held up, I think, and Ronin stumbles in and Jack gets a clear look at the Ronan, but you can only see their eyes. Do you think Jack recognized Kate in the seat? I'm going to say, yes, he did. That makes, and that, and it's funny, I'm bringing this up cause I just laid out a whole case for why I don't think Jack is going to be as a suspect as he is, but it does make it very suspicious if he recognized Kate that eventually he meets up with Eleanor and she asks where's Kate and he's like, oh, I don't know. So, so there's, there's a lot of suspicious activity happening in this one scene.
Jude: Yeah. I, I
Trey: think I poured a water on my own sandcastle.
Jude: I'm going to say. Again, episode two, like these clearly these episodes go together. There's a moment in episode two. That, that drives me to say yes.
Trey: Okay. Okay. Well, you know what, with that being said, why don't we go ahead and get into stray thoughts so we can wrap up this episode and get into episode two. All right. Sounds good. So if you are new to our show, uh, this section is essentially for us to throw out any stray thoughts we had, that didn't quite fit into the most important topics. Uh, so Jude starting with you, what are your stray?
Jude: Uh, I do want to say I'm demonstrate straight thoughts. I'd like to use of the first of injust footage back in the beginning. Um, clearly noticed the theme when she's watching from the, from the balcony. It wasn't really balcony. It was, uh, a new balcony, I guess, from the damage. Um, it's under renovation. Yeah. But it was the whole theme song had hints of Alan sylvestris Avengers theme, but it was also different because it was Hawkeye, you know, so, yeah. So I really liked that. Use their, um, I thought they did a really good job of subverting expectations from the trailer. Cause in the trailer, we do see the arrow shot, um, to the, to the bell tower and the bell ring. And it's because of the suit she's wearing and everything, it feels like at that point, she's already hooked up with Hawkeye as a hero and doing stuff, you know, or in that's part of something like a distraction maybe that they're doing like for the trailer. And so the way they were able to use that in the trailer and make you feel one thing, but do something different with it in the show, I thought it was really good. Um, I loved the opening credits. Really. It felt very Netflix. It felt Daredevil Netflix and Netflix in general because Netflix shows their opening credits have a particular style, um, that are different than other shows. On other streaming services, I feel like, and this one I just thought was really well done. And I love that the, the graphic art was very in line with now. I haven't read the Hawkeye comics that this is referring to yet. I really want to, but at this point I will probably finish these episodes before. Um, in fact, Tara has. Uh, TK on, uh, there was an idea, a podcast has her review of, of those runs. And I haven't listened to that yet because I want to go ahead and get through the show first. Um, so in four more weeks, um,
Trey: yeah, yeah. Between, between TK and friend Daniel hyping up the Matt fraction run of Hawkeye. So highly I'm 100% gonna read it after.
Jude: Oh yeah. Same, same. But I do know stylistically the graphics really stuck with the comic look and that, and I'm really pleased by that. Yeah. So that's my stray thoughts. What about you?
Trey: So, uh, starting back at the beginning 2012 perspective, I just want to say this Kate's dad looks like a cross between Colin Farrell and Steven Seagal. And it's very funny to me, a second stray thoughts before Clint recognized the suit in that news broadcast, where it was like, we have another mask to save blood running through New York. Do you think he was like, oh man, here we go. Here's another Avenger. Like, is it just like a dime a dozen for them at this point that
Jude: I have another year at this point? Right? I mean civil war. What is it? Everyone has a gimmick. Yeah. Oh man.
Trey: Uh, another strength. Technically breaks are our spoiler zone territory. I'll cut it out. If you, you, you have a chance to veto this, but love that the new Marvel studios fanfare is the exact same one they used in the internals, which shots from I think black widows in there as well. Uh, really cool. That that has been updated, um, really enjoyed the nod to of course, internet culture, where they had the Thanos was right written on the urinal. Oh yes. Uh, two more. The most unrealistic thing that I have ever seen in the MCU is that Kate was able to tight while wearing the Ronin gloves. She typed so flawlessly on that cell phone and it, the whole time I was like, there's no way like even phones that is saying, oh, it has capacitive touch. Don't work.
Jude: What I find interesting about what you just said. And I think, you know, what I find interesting about what you just said is that being the most realistic, unrealistic thing you've ever seen the MCU, which means what? No, go ahead. No, I'm going to just curious. What was it? Oh four. No, no,
Trey: I'm never going to escape it. Emma escape. What?
Jude: I don't understand. I was trying to make a point and you're just like, ah, Oh, I knew I could get you to say it. So I
Trey: know I was going to see who was going to break first.
Jude: Yeah. Like, like you were so down on the truck moment on his hero moment. I wish you liked him. I wish you like captain America. Um, I do
Trey: like Katherine, man, we can't do this. We got new people. This is a chance to act
Jude: cool that you just draw the line on like Sam being a hero in Kate Middleton type of gloves. I get it. I just, I'm trying to figure out what, how those are the equivalent, but okay.
Trey: Last thought we need MC you need to know butterscotch. So that's going to wrap it up for this episode. Usually the way that we handle this is this is where we would read the audience's first take as well. But given that we are doing back-to-back episodes, we're going to go ahead and save all those first reactions for the upcoming episode that is in the feed. We also do predictions for the next episode, but given the two episode drop, that's not something that we can do here. So instead I will say, if you enjoyed this episode, uh, you should definitely be following us on social media where you can reach us at MCU need to know on Twitter and Instagram. Uh, it is a great place to get bonus content that does not make the final cut of the episode. So we have in tags, whatever Intacct doesn't get used, we will put up on there as well as quicker access to what we thought of the episodes before our Monday episode drop. So if any of those are interesting to you, you should definitely give us a follow and help us out
Jude: there. And of course, let's take that a step further when you're in the show notes, you can click on the link and join our discord. Uh, wonderful community of people in interested in all kinds of things, but also in particular, the MCU, when you get there, make sure you click on the role, assign channel, click on the emoji and that'll get you access to all the spoiler channels. And of course, since you're listening to this episode, I'm going to make the assumption. You enjoy it. If you got to this point, share that joy holiday season with a friend.
Trey: Yeah. We'd also like to thank Nick Sandy for the use of our theme song, which is his rendition of the Avengers theme. You find more of his work on his SoundCloud, which has linked in the show notes as well. That's going to do it. Thank you so much for listening and Judy booty. Thank you so much for doing this. Thank
Jude: you, Trey.
Trey: See you all next week. Oh man. I was so weighted to Trop that ever since I heard
Jude: Jamie, I was like, I cannot believe you left that in. No.
Trey: Oh man. You have no idea how hard I was struggling to keep a straight face all the way through.
Jude: So, you know what? I can't do what's best for the pod and it seem like leaving that in there. So it was best for the pod. Oh, it was definitely good for the pod mice. Okay. So I don't have any notes for episode two. Oh, I've watched it two and a half times. That third time I was supposed to be taking notes. I fell asleep on the couch. No. Um, but I have seen it two and a half times. Wow.
Trey: Uh, I was going to
Jude: say it's giving man, like no, no, no,
Trey: I'm not. I'm not throwing any shade. I was just going to say, I was going to tell you, I feel my episode two notes are weaker. So this is going to be very interesting. Once we get to episode two. Oh, I can't wait.