This week on the show, we have Liam Martin, co-founder and Chief Marketing Officer of Time Doctor and Staff.com. He is also the co-organizer of the Running Remote conference, the biggest conference on distributed teams and remote work.
Liam shares his insights on growing into an “executive” role by “letting the entrepreneur inside you die,” how to help other people work with you, and the literal million-dollar mistakes that Liam and his co-founder Rob made when running their company.
We also talk about why he started the Running Remote conference, the unspoken truths about running a large scale event, and what’s in store for next year’s conference in Austin, Texas.
If you want to learn from the best of remote leaders, you can buy early bird tickets for next year’s Running Remote Conference here: https://ti.to/running-remote/2020
- 04:10 — How Liam realized that overworking and hustle culture is dangerous
- 09:00 — The main difference between “entrepreneur” and “executive”
- 14:15 — The top two things that Liam needed to re-teach himself to be a better remote executive
- 24:14 — The million-dollar mistakes that Liam and his co-founder made
- 30:17 — Why it is crucial to extract the “sacred knowledge” of your key team members and document it
- 37:14 — How Liam created a document to help his direct reports work with him more effectively
- 41:39 — The most surprising feedback Liam received from his direct reports
- 44:45 — Why Liam and the team started Running Remote
- 48:37 — The unspoken difficulties about running a conference
- Running Remote conference
- Time Doctor
- “Karoshi” phenomenon
- Zero to One
- Mark Faggiano: Creating Remote Employee Culture
- “Dunbar’s number”
- Gitlab Handbook
- Dmitri Zaporozhets
- Rob Rawson
- Nick Francis
- Amir Salihefendić
- The Pesto Podcast with Liam Martin
- Myers-Briggs test
- Egor Borushko
- The 4-Hour Workweek
- Tim Ferriss
- Andrew Warner
- Andreas Klinger
- Andreas Klinger’s Running Remote keynote
- Hiten Shah: Figuring Out your Own Remote Work Structure
- Jennifer Aldrich
- Remote work is more than a job perk—for people with chronic illness, it’s life changing by Jennifer Aldrich
- Wade Foster
- Lori McLeese
- John Eckman
- Sara Sutton
- Running Remote YouTube Channel
Available now on your favorite podcast players:
Follow us on Twitter to get updates.
What is Mastering Remote?
Single topic deep dives. Bite-sized episodes. Expert advice to help you work smarter and manage better — remotely. For distributed team leaders and remote professionals. Podcast FKA "Outside the Valley."