TotM Cast: Theater of the mind.
Justin: Theater of mind. Of set. How much does twenty years change a person? How much does a lifetime change a person? Are we accountable for the decisions of our forebearers? To what degree are we accountable to decisions we made a decade ago? How much can we really change? These are all questions that the incarnate king, Esau Theophilus Zimri wrote in his journal. The reincarnated king Asher Theophilus Simri reads his previous life's journal as he looks out across the capital city of Venethar, Rhysinium City. At the top of a hill rise, the Stellshall River breaks before entering into the sea, and Asher can see the bustling city around him.
Nick: Hello friends. Thanks for pressing play on this teaser trailer for the first season of Theater of the Mindset. We're gonna be using the new Dagger Heart system over the next 20 or so episodes to tell a story of political intrigue, lifelong friendships and national identity. Set in the world of Sariel, Faith and Fortune focuses on three movers and shakers in the nation of Innethar as they uncover a massive plot well underway right beneath their noses. What lies have they believed their entire lives? What truly matters to them when everything they know is stripped away? Listen on to find out.
Justin: Sahra, you are aware of just darkness around you. You do not hear anything or see anything, but the darkness is shifting and moving a little bit. Death in Sariel is characterized by a road, and the Wainwright collects souls and ferries them to their destination. You are immediately aware that you are not dying. Mhmm. You are in some liminal space. And this shifting darkness
Omineth: speaks. What do we have here? A little wandering child. A wandering child. Who are you?
TotM Cast: My name is Sahra. Are you in pain?
Omineth: I'm not in pain. Something tells me if you found me that you are.
TotM Cast: What do you want from me?
Omineth: What what do I want from you? Are you offering something?
TotM Cast: I don't know what I have to give you.
Justin: As you say, I don't know, and you kind of give that little bit of cough, in this space, you feel the water in your lungs holding in a different space than where you currently are, kind of filling you up, and you cough up a little bit of water when you when you say that. And the spirit says
Omineth: I can I I can get you out of here if you let me follow you? Follow you out? Yeah.
TotM Cast: Help me, please. Sahra
Omineth: Manisblood.
TotM Cast: How do you know my real name?
Omineth: We all know you. We all know you.
Justin: As she is over there, she's like having cordial conversation with you and it's going surprisingly well. Great.
Steve: Oh my god. That was
Justin: you're so funny. Well, thank you.
Steve: I'm glad you're having a good time.
Justin: So you moved from Resinium City to Borland like two years ago and it's crazy that this is the first time that you've come to this party.
Steve: Yeah. I You know, my parents are really strict and I had to sneak out to get here tonight. Oh my
Justin: god. Yeah. Like, I thought my parents were strict, but like, they just make me do my homework and then I'm allowed to do whatever I want. But I just have to do my homework first. And I thought that was really bad.
Steve: No. They just, you know, they they don't want me to go to parties. They don't want me to, you know, get to know a bunch of people. So, you know, it's it's just sometimes it's it's hard to get out. Also, I'm absolutely lying. My parents don't care anything about what what do kids have in common except complaining about their parents. Right. So, yeah. I It's just, you know, I can't wait to grow up and get out of here and and do something else with my life, know?
Justin: Oh my god. This is gonna sound crazy, but Hard to Get Out is my favorite Speedy Galapagos song.
Steve: Mine too. I was listening to it on while I
Justin: was getting ready tonight. That's insane. That is my favorite one. Ugh. Crazy.
Steve: I can't believe we have the same favorite song. So I I think they might be going on tour later this summer. I I think my parents could get us tickets. Do you wanna go to do you wanna go to this concert?
Justin: Give me a give me a presence check. You're gonna have to beat n 20. Great. Let's see. Oh my god.
Steve: I don't have any, like, abilities or anything at this Correct. Right? Because I'm not yet. Yep. Cool. 17 with
Justin: fear. I think as you say this, you lean on the table a little bit too much, and the whole table just goes on its side, spilling the entire all of the all of the cups, the entire table falls on its side. There is this crash. The entire party looks over in this direction.
Nick: Harry jumps in and starts to try and get a drinking song going.
Herry: The silver ale is foaming, the silver ale beats brown. Drink it down, you walk me down. The night is made for omen. Silver ale is flowing, silver ale runs clear. Friends be near you, pass the beer till moons are bright and glowing... I just wanna do that.
Nick: Presence check to try and beat. The beat the allegations.
Steve: Do I know this song? Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Okay.
Justin: I This is a we'll see how well Yeah.
Steve: Regardless of how this goes, I'm gonna try and save face by, like, grabbing a the nearest drink, like, chugging it and joining it in the song, like, as loud
Justin: as I'll I let you give the help action. Okay. Hell yeah. A d six? Yeah. Adds a d six.
Steve: Trying to pull her out.
Justin: Do you wanna do something with Boss? Yes, I do.
Steve: Luken underwater holding on to Sara realizes this is not a sustainable situation. He has to do something and he has to take action. And as he is coming to that realization, he hears in the back of his head the sound of a coin flip. And as that coin lands, his wings, which have never been used for anything other than decoration, give just the faintest red glow and he knows what needs to be done. And Baz takes notice of this and decides to bless this drunk 17 year old who figured out that being bold and taking action is the only way out of this frankly nightmare circumstance he's in.
Justin: I think underneath the water, Sara, you it's pretty dark. You can see there is moonlight from the two moons of Sariel that allows some silhouette of Lucan for you to see. But in this moment and you see the other three kind of all get up, and they gather their things, and they say, you know what? I think we're we're a little bit farther gone than we thought, and I wanna be respectful. We got a little in over our heads, so I think we're gonna call it a night. You all have a good evening. We hope to see you in the future under better circumstances. Sound good? We apologize for our friend here.
Steve: No harm, no foul. I'm gonna
Nick: cast for can't. It's been the hope to cast recant so they don't remember the last minute of this.
Justin: What does this look like?
Nick: As they're walking out, Herry just starts whistling like a very old folk tune just like a bark tune just kind of whistling as he look watches them go out and then just kind of like they can just kind of hear the tune like kind of earworm in their head as they just kind of theoretically slowly forget. And I'm gonna use subtle spell as my thing. Yep. Oh, they have to make a reaction roll. They need a 15.
Justin: Oh. Think I just rolled
Nick: flat. Yeah.
Justin: I fail.
Nick: Yeah. So they don't remember this
Justin: conversation? They just start whistling that same tune that you were on their way out, and they have no recollection of they remember getting a little rowdy Yep. And then making their way out after having a couple of drinks. Yeah. They do not remember the, like, actual altercation itself.
TotM Cast: Well done.
Justin: And, yeah, they're just all whistling the same tune as they make their way out.
End Credits: You've been listening to Faith and Fortune by Theater of the Mindset. Our actual players this season are Steve Edinger, Shelby Myers, Nick Traeger, and your kind and generous GM, Justin Gerardot. Audio engineering, post production, and scoring is done by Nick Traeger at Studio three six zero seven. If you're enjoying the show, you can help us grow with no capital investment by sharing it with a friend, following us on Instagram and Reddit, writing us a review on your pod catcher, or you can ship in for coffee at our Patreon. Thanks for listening, and we'll see you next week on Theater of the Mindset.