Kyle Drake discusses what GeoCities was, why it failed, the technical and legal challenges of creating its spiritual successor Neocities, and how he's working to preserve and curate sites from the old web.
- [00:00:50] What GeoCities was
- [00:06:45] Why the old web failed
- [00:15:06] Reasons to create Neocities
- [00:21:04] Fighting phishing, spam, and DMCA takedowns
- [00:27:17] Purchasing an IPv4 address block and building an Anycast CDN
- [00:43:28] Why create your own CDN? (Takedown requests come directly to you, reduced chances of hosting provider shutting you down)
- [00:51:09] The costs of running a CDN ($130 a month)
- [01:07:11] Restorativland (Curating and archiving old internet communities)
- [01:11:53] The staying power of HTML vs modern apps (You can still open sites from the 90s)
- [01:14:21] Categorizing old webpages and the problems with current recommendation algorithms
What is Software Sessions?
Practical conversations about software development.