Welcome to the Soul Touched by Dogs Podcast, the show for dog lovers who see dogs not as toys or tools, but wise souls worth our respect and care. I'm an Herrmann, and I'm your host. I talk to poor some humans, people who do great work for dogs and their people. So come and join us for today's conversation.
Anke: Hello, welcome Nicole. I'm super excited to have you here.
Nicole: Yes, thank you for having me. I'm so glad you're doing this and providing this platform for all of us and giving us a voice and spread the word and create more awareness about so many topics with dogs.
Anke: And it's my most Delightful, favorite project. I'm more than, more than happy here. It's actually one of those funny cases. We could talk in German, right? Yeah, yeah. But today we won't. So tell people where you're based and, you know, what's your business with dogs? Yes,
Nicole: sure, sure. I mean, I'm sure you hear my accent. I'm a native German, but I've been living here in the U. S. for 20 years now, uh, specifically in Atlanta, Georgia, in the South. And today we have a rainy day and my, my Doberman mannequin is in the background. That's what I use when I teach classes about pet first aid. And my classes are equally for dogs and cats, actually, for both. But, uh, yeah, I, I don't personally own cats, uh, so I'm a little bit more focused on the dogs, but, uh, yeah, I, I'm on my second Doberman, by the way, and his name is Frodo. He's extraordinary big, so I'm sure a lot of, um, people that listening, they're familiar with Lord of the Rings and the Hobbits, and when he came to us with Nine Weeks, he had these huge paws. Hairy paws and the hobbits have hairy feet and big feet so this is where the name Frodo came and he's a, he's a 50 kilo dog or 115 pounds but such a gentle soul and I, I learned a lot so needless to say he has definitely touched my soul but there have been also dogs before that touched my soul and that lead me to what, what I do really. I love
Anke: it. I mean, to be honest, and we've touched on it before we hit record, it's like before I came across you, I don't think I'd ever even heard about First Aid for Dogs before. So how did you stumble across it and what made you kind of turn this into your, into your
Nicole: race? Yes. I mean, initially my background is from the trade show business. I was 20 years in business, always traveling and Basically living my life on a fast speed lane, uh, and, uh, so presenting, um, and, uh, organizing events was, was in my nature, you know, that's where, where my talent was, but I got so tired of the corporate world. I wanted to do something more meaningful. And, um, the first time I researched Pet First Aid was actually because my husband is a rock climber. So we go camping in very remote areas in North Carolina, for example. And I'm not a climber, so I, I was like the camp mom staying behind, you know, and doing hikes with my Doberman back then. And I always ask myself, you know, I'm, I'm really hours away from any emergency clinic or veterinarian, what do I do if my dog gets bitten by a snake? So this is where I started researching, and I discovered Pet Tech. And Pet Tech, um, is a little bit like the American Red Cross for the pets. They're based in California. And they, they are international, but their focus is here in the U. S., uh, for now. And, uh, this is how I started out, you know, that, uh, they certified me as instructor. Uh, and so we all keep with the same curriculum. So if you're not based in Atlanta, you can, uh, go on their website, uh, at least for the U. S., uh, pettech. net, and you can find an instructor in your area. But, uh, I also have the goal of, uh, creating my own YouTube channel very soon. So there will be, uh, lots of videos there as well, eventually.
Anke: That's fascinating. So, I mean, first it's, it's funny where I'm thinking, well, oh my God, like I think most people probably can't even remember the little bit of first aid we did for people. Yes. Like I'm going for dogs, so what are typical Emergencies that, you know, in your class that you'd cover, that somebody would learn.
Nicole: Oh my gosh, it's a four hour class. And it's, uh, really very, uh, a lot of content. I mean, most people after the class, they say, oh my gosh, I didn't know what I didn't know, right? Uh, because we, we talk about prevention a lot. And over the years, I've been teaching now for eight years. Over the years, I included more and more scary pictures because I know that it's, Anke Herrmann, Taming the Tech Monster, Anke Herrmann, Taming the Tech Monster, Anke Herrmann, Taming the Tech Monster, Anke Herrmann, Taming the You know, you can't help the pet. So that's very important. And, um, so we talk about how to do a pressure, uh, bandage, for example. So it's really hands on. We do different, uh, bandaging techniques for the paw, for the ear, um, uh, and also how to do CPR, of course, you know, and rescue breathing. I have a doggy mannequin here, uh, more than one actually, where we practice, you know, and, um, how to induce vomiting. Um, how to handle choking, for example, you know, when they, they really, um, uh, have a toy in the throat or food or bone, um, allergic reactions, snake bites, insect bites, you know, it's so much, uh, content really.
Anke: And well, uh, yeah, I mean, it's like, Oh my God, like it seems to be low. Boy, we all need that, right? Because I think it's like the worst thing that could, I mean, I don't know, like as a dog lover, it's almost like the worst thing you can imagine that something happens to your, to your dog. Cause it's like, it's always like a person, a person can sort of, unless they're unconscious, like, but like a person usually can kind of say where it hurts. They can kind of say, well, look, this is what happened. And like, I fell and now my leg hurts. It's like, it's like, you know, there's, there's. There's a little level of ownership or autonomy that you can kind of expect from a person, whereas a dog can't tell you, you know, so it's like, and you see them suffering and you're like, and then
Nicole: you kind of feel like you're letting your dog down. Yeah, for your pets, yes, uh, because most of us are, are not familiar with, with the vitals, you know, and that's another topic we talk about. If you know what's normal for your pet, because the, the vitals, they vary a lot because we have all kinds of breeds and sizes, then the difference between large dogs and a small cat, for example, you know, so what, if you know what's normal for your pet. then you, you recognize, uh, the symptoms much easier and faster. And sometimes really, uh, time is of the essence where every second counts if you have an emergency like that. And I've had, uh, multiple students or friends, you know, that literally saved their own pet or, um, uh, their clients pets. You know, usually my classes are half and half, the average pet owner. But the other half are people that work in the industry that work with dogs and cats like the dog walkers and, uh, the, the, uh, pet hotels and, and boarding facilities, you know, everybody who is really in contact with dogs and cats, uh, should, should learn something about pet first aid. And I think, um, Doing it live. I mean, sure, everybody can watch a YouTube video, but it's really not the same when you do the exercises yourself because You create muscle memory, and if you have done it before and then the emergency happens, you react faster, you know exactly what to do, and you're less likely to panic. And that's what it's all about. Yeah. to, to really teach people you, you can do that, you know, and, and strangely enough, over the years, it's really 90 percent women that attend my classes. Isn't that interesting?
Anke: What do you make of that?
Nicole: We're more the caretakers, you know, um, but also I wanted, and I say this in my classes, you know, we, we, uh, prepare for the worst, but we hope for the best. And I, for me, every dog is a service dog or emotional support dog, whether they have the official certification or not, because we know that they, they go through all the ups and downs in our lives with us. You know, they give us unconditional love, they're always there, uh, for us, and they transform our, uh, bad mood, they remind us to be in the moment, and I think we owe it to them to, to learn, uh, a little bit about their needs and their bodily functions, you know, and, and that, that is my goal to prevent and, and save lives, and coming back to some of my friends and students. There was one person in particular where we talked about how to do body checks, you know, and look for those fatty lumps that so many dogs have. And she did that and she found a lump on the abdomen and she went to the veterinarian and the vet said, Oh my gosh, it's Great, you came in. It was a tumor at the spleen that was about to rupture and unfortunately it happens quite often. So she literally saved her dog's life with just by doing these body checks and there's so much that we can do in terms of prevention.
Anke: That makes so much sense. I think like, you know, first, like knowing what is even normal, so you can detect when something's off, you know, and then also where to look for something that isn't quite right, you know, yeah, that makes, that makes so much sense. So if somebody wants to learn more or find the class or like what's the best place for them to go.
Nicole: My website, which is dobiemom. com, very, very easy to remember, and DOBIE spelled D O B I E. Some of them spell it differently, and my next class here in Atlanta, if you should be here in the Atlanta area, is on April the 21st. on a Sunday in Dunwoody. Uh, but like I said, um, I will soon have a YouTube channel with, uh, some snippets that you can, um, uh, watch and, and read about first aid.
Anke: I love it. I love it. Thank you. I mean, would you, are you considering like, you know, offering online classes? You know, where it's like in Zoom, in Zoom, where I can get the best of both worlds. I can get the direct, you know, where I can practice here with my dog and I get, I can ask you questions. So I don't have to come to Atlanta and I don't, it's the between coming to Atlanta and watching YouTube
Nicole: videos. Yeah. I thought about it, you know, but I think YouTube is really the platform to reach more people and spread the word more, and like we, we talked before our interview, a lot of people, they, they just have a little bit time, you know, so I would break it up because it's really quite comprehensive, the content. So break it up in little videos, because then you really get the content across. There's really a lot to learn.
Anke: Well, thank you, but it's so worth it because I think, you know, as you said, like you can save your dog's life, you know, like that's definitely worth investing a little bit of time and energy. And so thank you so much for coming and pointing, you know, like making us aware of it, because I think there's still a long way to go before everybody kind of knows about it. And
Nicole: I know, you know, it's human nature that we normally think, oh, This always happens to other people, but even though that I teach this stuff, you know, and I hear all the, uh, stories from people, from my students, uh, that have lost, uh, pets already, I have to be careful that I'm not getting paranoid, but things like that happen to me too, you know, like my dog, uh, he wanted to jump out of the car and I have one of these mini vans where the door comes out automatically. And his paw got caught in that mechanism, you know, and things like that. Or he munched down on my thyroid medications. I had to induce vomiting, you know, and I'm like, okay, here you go. At least I know what to do, right? You know what
Anke: to do, right?
Nicole: But I imagine you saw some other people that don't know how, what to do, you know, it,
Anke: It might lose their
Nicole: dog over it. Very stressful. Yes. And then you deal with the, if you really lost a pet, you know, sometimes we do have these moments in the class where a person starts crying because they realize they could have done something to save their pet. And that's the most heart wrenching and difficult stuff, you know, it's, uh, but. They're there now, you know, so I'm always happy for everyone that is open and, and, uh, trying to learn about Pet First Aid. And over the years, um, more and more people had more questions about nutrition as well. And this is how, uh, you know, sometimes your, uh, passion just develops, you know, and people are asking. And so I became certified in nutrition, uh, as well, uh, and I'm not a medical nutritionist in the sense I'm a holistic nutritionist. And, uh, this class is actually online because there's not the same amount of, uh, hands on exercises that you have to do comparable to the first aid. So that one you can actually, uh, watch online. It's a three hour, very condensed video. I talk about all, uh, diets, whether it's the dry food, the canned. Uh, the Dehydrated, the Gently Cooked, the Home Cooked, uh, the Raw
Anke: Foods, you know. I think I want to have you back for that one. Like that's, I think that's a whole other topic that I think I'd love to unpack in a, in a different, in a separate, you know, like. Yes, would love to. You can come back, like, you know, it's my show, I can do whatever the heck I want. So I can have you back. Yes. Because that's a whole other topic that I'd love to unpack. So,
Nicole: yeah, definitely. Because that is part of prevention as well. You know, and where I'm coming from, uh, maybe because I didn't grow up, uh, in, in the U. S., I grew up in Germany where we have a very different health system or medical system for the humans as well as for the pets. It's much more about prevention and, uh, more open to, uh, holistic and alternative treatments. This is really, uh, what my, uh, first aid is also focused on the holistic, uh, role, you know, what, what can we do? What kind of alternatives do we have? Like laser treatment, uh, for example, or acupuncture for pain management and, uh, the, the nutrition part as well is, uh, we holistic nutritionists, we look at it from the cellular level. How does, um, how does that work? food in your body or in the dog's body and how can we create balance again and heal and prevent.
Anke: Love it. Love it. That's, that's definitely going to be the topic for the next one. So DobieMum. com. Go get in touch with me, Paul. Thank you so much for coming. And I can't wait to have you back. Uh
Nicole: huh. Love to. Yes. Looking forward to it. And thank you again for having me.
Anke: My pleasure. Thanks so much for listening. If you enjoyed the episode, don't forget to subscribe, and leave a review so other dog lovers can find the show. If you haven't already, head over to soul touched by dogs. com and sign up for weekly doggy cuteness tips, recommendations, and personal stories to warm your dog loving heart. And if you know a pawsome human you think I should interview, I'd love an introduction. Email me at Anke. That's A N k E at Soul touched by dogs.com.